PDA

View Full Version : This really bothers me

El Chuxter
02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm sure you've all seen this annoying commercial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zMXv0__CYSU).

Please explain this to me, as it makes no sense.

So this dude (who apparently wants to be a carpy country music singer) gets his identity stolen online, and now he is forced to dress as a :Pirate: and wait tables?

What?

I've known people who have had their identities stolen. They had to make a bunch of calls, fill out some paperwork--in short, it was a lot of busy work, but not that hard to fix.

To my knowledge, none of them had to dress as :Pirate:s.

Did the person who stole his identity sign some contract using his name to dress as a :Pirate: at this restaurant? And now the owner refuses to let the guy out of the contract, even though it was fraudulent?

Or I've heard some states have passed laws to make cleaning up identity theft easier for the victim. Maybe, to boost the tourist trade, in Massachusetts there's a law that all you have to do is serve chowder in a tourist trap for a week or two while dressed as a :Pirate: and singing badly?

Seriously, man, I'm making light of it, but this makes absolutely no frigging sense.

General_Grievous
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
So this dude (who apparently wants to be a carpy country music singer) gets his identity stolen online, and now he is forced to dress as a :Pirate: and wait tables?

What?

I've known people who have had their identities stolen. They had to make a bunch of calls, fill out some paperwork--in short, it was a lot of busy work, but not that hard to fix.

When I saw this commercial, I thought the exact same thing. But then I came to the conclusion that if he's douchey enough to work as a singing pirate, then he deserves to get his identity stolen.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Don't some commercials always make it seem like it worse than it really is? Of course they just want you to go to their website, which they missadvertise you into thinking is free. That is until they ask for credit card info when you try to submit the report( My wife tried it one time for ****s and giggles).

El Chuxter
02-07-2008, 03:12 PM
They always throw in a disclaimer at the end or in miniscule fine print that the report is free if you enroll in at least three months of some worthless "credit protection" plan that is something like $25 per month.

By contrast, the bureaus are legally required now to provide one free credit report each per year.

jedi master sal
02-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I think you just wanted and excuse to use the :Pirate: emote...

TeeEye7
02-07-2008, 10:40 PM
They shoulda gotten Judge Reinhold to do that commercial :Pirate:.

Tycho
02-08-2008, 01:51 AM
I like dressing up as a pirate! :Pirate:

CaptainSolo1138
02-08-2008, 08:40 AM
They shoulda gotten Judge Reinhold to do that commercial :Pirate:.He didn't leave that job on the best of terms and the company decided it would be a bad move to associate themselves with him.

Jargo
02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I've always imagined Tycho in one of those car dealership commercials. y'know with the stetson and bikini clad bimbos and inane catchphrase. course that may have something to do with that profile pic he used to have where he's wearing the silver jacket and posed real cheezy like.

Tycho
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
What the Darth Mouse picture where I was in a suit?

That's a very old one now, and I didn't use it as a profile picture. I think it was just my first "post a picture" picture.

I edited out my ex-girlfriend whom I was resting my arm on in the original shot, which was from a school dance thing, and put in a Mouse Droid, then Photoshopped the Sith tattoo markings on the Mouse Droid (wishing I could paint that good in real life - but not having actual spare Mouse Droids to try it with anyway).*

*Side note: I wrote to Hasbro requesting that I be allowed to purchase 100 Mouse Droids from them directly, but they said they did not maintain any kind of stock like that. They sent me 4 in a plastic baggie for free (this is some years ago) and I let it go after that, I guess in order to show I was grateful.

I've since sniffed all of those btw, so the original mint-new smell has long sinse expired.

jedi master sal
02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
What the Darth Mouse picture where I was in a suit?

That's a very old one now, and I didn't use it as a profile picture. I think it was just my first "post a picture" picture.

I edited out my ex-girlfriend whom I was resting my arm on in the original shot, which was from a school dance thing, and put in a Mouse Droid, then Photoshopped the Sith tattoo markings on the Mouse Droid (wishing I could paint that good in real life - but not having actual spare Mouse Droids to try it with anyway).*

*Side note: I wrote to Hasbro requesting that I be allowed to purchase 100 Mouse Droids from them directly, but they said they did not maintain any kind of stock like that. They sent me 4 in a plastic baggie for free (this is some years ago) and I let it go after that, I guess in order to show I was grateful.

I've since sniffed all of those btw, so the original mint-new smell has long sinse expired.

I still contend that sniffing mouse droids is how you had your aneurism.
Since I became a member of the Mouse Droid Sniffers club, I've noticed I've had more headaches, some painful migraine ones at that. Coincidence??

Tycho
02-08-2008, 10:03 AM
I can't say for certain, Sal.

Here's one thing though: since I got out of the hospital and had found most of my SW stuff placed in storage while my life was on the line, I basically purchase for my dioramas (according to a list) but don't open many figures now. Why bother?

I'd rather wait until I get a house so I can set everything up in its final display position.

Now I'll open a few things here or there, but I don't have as much new stuff I free from the cardboard and sniff like I used to.

I am worried that I may be on the receiving end of a vote-of-no-confidence in the near future from the Mouse Droid Sniffers' Association.

Quite a list of potential candidates have formed exploratory committees and started scent raising:

Greedo (the Bounty Hunter's Party)
Garindan (Galactic Empire's candidate)
Pote Snitkin (Desert Skiff Pilot Union's Party)
Ephant Mon (Jabba Disillijic Clan)
Wat Tambor (Separatist Candidate)
Nabrum Leids (Intergalactic Alcoholics Association)

And there could be more. I might have to run a prolonged campaign against one or several of these potential candidates and possibly more if others have big noses they can stick into the election contest.

Remaining the President of the Mouse Droid Sniffers' Association is no longer a guaranteed thing.

TeeEye7
02-08-2008, 08:55 PM
He didn't leave that job on the best of terms and the company decided it would be a bad move to associate themselves with him.

Was that because of his "handy" work? :Ponder:

Devil King
02-09-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm sure you've all seen this annoying commercial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zMXv0__CYSU).

Please explain this to me, as it makes no sense.

What?

To my knowledge, none of them had to dress as :Pirate:s.[/b]

Too bad we base everything on our credit score. Blowing it all up, ala Tyler Durden, will do nothing. Not subscribing to an economy that allows for a contradictory reality of the person places far too many of us at a disadvantage. Abolishing a system based on a mentality that is furthered by the concept of "work for us", or you will never acheive" is a little more realistic way to look at it. Look at me! I'll graduate in the next year and a half, 130K in debt! Despite my hard work and constant effort, I'll graduate in debt! I'm going to start the game in a hole that has been stacked against me from the beginning. So, depending on my graduated income, I'll end my education being beholdent to a loan company that offered me a better deal at the cost of a real future.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Back to the topic at "hand," Judge Reinhold fans. :rolleyes: There's the follow-up commerical rap with his posse and his "wack" credit that only allows him to purchase a used subcompact. You know, if he didn't know that, he could say no and go to another dealer, looking for something more in his price range. Even :Pirate:s won't twist your arm to force you to buy their cars.

And, F-R-E-E doesn't spell "Free Credit Report Dot Com," just like M-E-T-H-O-D-O-F-L-O-V-E didn't spell "Method of Modern Love." No wonder they're using old "atom bomb" references (get with the nookyulur age, dudes) and serving chowder to Ice-T...

Devil King
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm less irritated by the Credit Report commercial than I am by the new V8 commercial; the one where the guy is an idiot that eats nothing but meat, bacon, cheddar cheese and ranch dressing, and his wife slaps him on the forehead. I really hate the idea that all men are idiots that can't think for themselves. I especially hate that the commercial reflects the "all men are dumb" laugh line that so many comedians (male and female) use to pander for laughs.

I'd like to see a commercial where the wife pulls a cold fried chicken leg out of the fridge and her husband backhands her to the floor. I would so buy a V8 after seeing that commercial.

(I actually already like V8, it just gives me heartburn)

Tycho
02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I'd like to see a commercial where the wife pulls a cold fried chicken leg out of the fridge and her husband backhands her to the floor.

Please accept a hearty welcome from myself, Al Bundy, Archie Bunker, and Tom Leykus!

Welcome Young Apprentice!

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 06:18 PM
There have been a lot of those V8 commercials, many of which involve women getting "clunked" on the head. I think they went with a married couple for this latest one because of the line about the guy just not liking V8 (they had to be at least somewhat close for that to work).

Devil King
02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
The only one I've seen is the chick's reflection boping herself on the forehead, because she's smart enough to realize she should've had a V8. But the other one's I've seen are the guys getting smacked.

I still think the chicken leg/backhand bit would be funny.

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 09:45 PM
The one with the baby smacking her mom is pretty funny. The face the kid makes is priceless. I don't know how they found a toddler who could make such a great "what the hell is wrong with you?" face.