PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone A Completist Anymore?

Jedi_Kal-El
02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I was just wondering if anyone out there still feels the need to pick up every single carded release ever made. I use to consider myself one until the repacks started hitting heavy and I decided not to be a MOC collector anymore.

DarthQuack
02-09-2008, 10:40 AM
I have gotten the first 4 full waves and the first half of the 5th one. But I've been slacking....I do like to try to get entire runs, but so many rehashes makes it boring.

stillakid
02-09-2008, 10:44 AM
A figure has to be fairly unique for me to want to buy it. I don't new versions of old figures, but there had better be something compelling about it.

Kidhuman
02-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Never have been, so no.

Snowtrooper
02-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Even though I've gotten all of the last two lines, I don't consider myself to be a completist.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I say no to repacks. I only buy new figures of never before done characters, or improved versions of older characters. For example would i buy a repack of a POTF2 Nien Numb...No. Would i buy a newly sculpted Nein Numb with some SA action going on, yep sure would.

Though i used to be a Completist back before the dark times that was Episode One...Still missing the last wave of those figures! I also used to be a MOC collector...that changed with the TAC collection, and i have actually enjoyed the collection 100% more by being a loose collector.

TeeEye7
02-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Never have been, so no.

Ditto here, too.

jjreason
02-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Nope, not any more. I was trying pretty hard up until last year, but I think I'm through those woods at this point.

Neuroleptic
02-09-2008, 05:17 PM
The only wave I ever went all out trying to get was the very first wave sold in 1996. After that, I'v been extreamly picky. I don't even have those figures anymore.

Thunderbird
02-09-2008, 06:42 PM
I am. I still buy two of each figure one loose one carded, every variation, gift packs, any release that I find. I'm probably the only one who likes repacks. To me it's kind of a neat way to see a figure in the original release and how it looks, in a new package. I mean look at the vintage figures, I love looking through price guides and seeing how many repacks were available and those were the same 96+ figures.

I guess we all have our own way we like to collect. I'll never get being an army builder or setting up scenes. I love looking at others collection/scenes, I just don't have the time or room.

JediTricks
02-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Not since the Saga line in 2002 broke me of that accursed habit. Until then, I was a figure completist, but then they put out those stupid action gimmicks and AOTC designs I hated, and that was that. Ever since, I've found collecting to be far more enjoyable now that I only buy stuff I like.

Slicker
02-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I still try to be but it's getting hard. As far as I know I don't have the Saga Legends yet but I'm working on that. I'm a few multi-packs behind and a wave of comic packs behind but I should catch up shortly.

Rocketboy
02-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm a completest...but not when it comes to Star Wars toys.

Bosskman
02-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Not no more I'm not. I've actualy gotten rid of a lot of stuff the past few years (even some stuff I had't had that long that the completest in me compelled me to buy) I want all the coins though, but not necessarily the figures they go with. I think I'm cured now. I hope. No TFU except for maybe the rancor.

Old Fossil
02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Haven't been a completest since the orange card POTF2 days, with the exception of the sublines of VOTC, VTSC, and VTAC, and last year's McQuarrie (and Fu) Concept lines. Small complete sets like those are not only more manageable for me, but are also to me more visually appealing than a wall of nearly identical green or orange carded figures.

I am not a completest regarding loose figures, either.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Ditto here, too.

Double ditto ditto here

JetsAndHeels
02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Hell no, not anymore at least. When the line came back in 1995-96 I sure was, all the way upto the SAGA ep2 figs.

When the POTJ series was popular, I wanted all of those..I didn't care if it was cold weather gear obi wan, warm weather gear, NO weather gear..I bought it.

After the SAGA collection and the ROTS toys came out in 2005, I quit being a completist. I decided that I would only buy the figures I wanted rather than all the figures.

Lets just say I am glad I changed my ways....it makes collecting, and even life easier. :)

waboritas
02-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Never have been, never will.

DarkArtist
02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I do want to get at least one of each of the figure loose, but I no longer collect MOC.

stillakid
02-10-2008, 03:27 PM
The only time to consider being a Mint On Card Completist is when it's just you and five other people out there still collecting. I just wanted one of everything because I'd like to have one of every character that is part of Star Wars. No financial investment interest at all ever.

I never understood the MOC thing, especially at first, because if everybody and their mother is doing the same thing (and a lot of people were), the "investment" would be fairly useless.

The time to "invest" in a MOC complete collection is when the hobby is in it's last dying death throes, similar to 1983+ when a lot of us were growing up and not avidly into it anymore. And/or collect those more special items, like EU figures, that the mainstream collector seems to poo-poo.

bpr2
02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
No, I wanted to be, but never realized it would go this far, Lol. Now I just pick what I want. I would like to finish my 'vintage' collection one day. I do have all of the originals except two, Yak Face and R2-D2(w/ pop-up lightsaber).

bobafrett
02-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I have tried so hard to be a completist, but with having someone living with me, and spending money on other stuff, like taking the family out for dinner once in awhile and so fourth, I can't always have the money on hand when I see figures that I might never see again. I am lucky if I find a wave of figures that I need, and have the cash to buy it. When I got around to seeing what figures I still needed for the 07 wave, I found that I am still missing 15 to 20 figures yet, including Tycho.

Kidhuman
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I never understood the MOC thing, especially at first, because if everybody and their mother is doing the same thing (and a lot of people were), the "investment" would be fairly useless.

I was an MOC collector for a long time. I never did it for an investment. I had no room to set them up like I wanted to so I left them that way. I eventually ran out of room and opened them up.

El Chuxter
02-11-2008, 12:42 AM
A long string of TPM products that I never found killed me of completism.

However, among new figures that I could find, the recent trend of stupid Clonetroopers and unnecessary (even inferior) resculpts cured me quite nicely.

x13squadleader
02-11-2008, 06:42 AM
well ive been collecting for almost 30 years.i thought myself a completist.i am sure i have about 99 percent of everything in the 3 3/4" lines.every variation.but now that i am 40,and everything coming is not really star wars to me any more,i think i am done soon.i will finish the 30tac and the first few waves in 08'.its kind of sad,the wife and i bought our house with my collection in mind.my room is about 20'x10' for my collection.

Phantom-like Menace
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I haven't been a completist since '98 when it was almost impossible to find one of the waves in my area. Ironically, it was the same wave TRU and KB had on their super clearance a couple of years later.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I was ever completist where repacks are concerned, because I don't think I was particualrly worried about getting green card and red card, but it was my goal at the beginning to make sure I got at least two of every unique figure. Distribution problems and poor casepack assortments made it next to impossible to find even one of some figures, so I first stopped collecting carded at all, then I started only getting figures I really want.

Now I am an army builder and I'm completist on unique astromechs (save thermo nuclear R5-D4) and unique Jedi characters.