PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Dogs

TeeEye7
02-09-2008, 03:49 PM
As I sit here and search the boards, my three dachshunds are here in the office with me, asleep. They sound like Larry, Moe, and Curly when they are doing their "sleep" routine. It's not only funny, but loud!

Do your pets make choice noises like this? My three are always very melodious when they sleep. When they sing (howl), things get really musical. I have a mezzo soprano, soprano, and a baritone. They enjoy a good sing almost daily! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
02-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Our cats are pretty quiet. Right up until the time we want to go to bed. Then they get wound up and want to play, running around all over the place, and attacking each other.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Sleeping Dogs
You really should just let them lie.

Jargo
02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
arf arf.

when my dawgy Buster was alive he was quite prone to snoring. apparently as labradors and golden retrievers get older their soft pallet gets softer hence the vibrating snoring sound. Annyhoo, Buster barked and wuffed in his sleep coz he wasn't allowed to be vocal normally so in his dreams he'd do that running thing where the legs twith then his face would screw up like a growling and then he'd wuff wuff after that he'd snore for hours like some fat old man that'd smoked all his life. occasionally if Buster slept on the bed he'd wriggle so much in his dreams that he'd just roll off the edge. the look on his face when he did was priceless. almost the same accusatory glare he gave after he'd dropped a humdinger of a fart.

jjreason
02-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Woody did a lot of quiet barking in his sleep, and loud barking throughout the day. Osky snorts a lot, but doesn't bark nearly so much - only when he's sees some fine beeches playing at the park and wants to be let out. :cool:

Rocketboy
02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
With the exception of being very light sleepers, my dogs are pretty quiet when they sleep.
They could be sleeping in their bed in the other room and both will look up when I shift in the living room. It may be because they are so small (chihuahuas) that they need to be on their toes, just in case.

CaptainSolo1138
02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
They could be sleeping in their bed in the other room and both will look up when I shift in the living room. It may be because they are so small (chihuahuas) that they need to be on their toes, just in case."Oh, crap! Is it the peanut butter trick again?!?!"

Rocketboy
02-09-2008, 10:45 PM
"Oh, crap! Is it the peanut butter trick again?!?!"Didn't you used to have a hamster?

UKWildcat
02-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Didn't you used to have a hamster?

He did, but Richard Gere stole it from him.

Jargo
02-09-2008, 11:04 PM
oooh rrrrimshot!

what?

Rocketboy
02-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey, you can't use language that like that here!

Oh wait, you said rimSHOT.

2-1B
02-10-2008, 10:54 AM
TIse7en has dachshunds ?

That just put you up a few more notches in my book, sir. :thumbsup:

jjreason
02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
But are they "doxxens" or "dash-hounds"? THAT is the question.

Rocketboy
02-10-2008, 11:46 AM
But are they "doxxens" or "dash-hounds"? THAT is the question.I've always preferred the xx sounding way. Sounds cooler.

2-1B
02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
"Dox-und" is how I say it.

and I had 1 for almost 18 f***ing years, so I'm an expert. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
02-10-2008, 03:11 PM
TIse7en has dachshunds ?

That just put you up a few more notches in my book, sir. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Caesar! They are a cool breed. Great watch dogs. Nothing moves in my house without their knowledge.

But are they "doxxens" or "dash-hounds"? THAT is the question.

I believe the correct pronunciation (if I remember my German lessons) is the "XX" version.

Here is Lacey, my youngest. She's a black and tan dapple dachshund. The white, mottled coloring is characteristic of a dapple. I also have Dixie, a typical red, and Pepper, who is supposed to be a black and tan (mom and dad were) but she came out 99.9% black. She's very exotic looking IMO.

2-1B
02-10-2008, 03:31 PM
She's beautiful ! Post the others if you can. :thumbsup: Is she a mini or a full size? There's nothing in the pic to give me an idea of scale.

We had a long haired mini, so she wasn't as "weiner dog" looking since she had long hair...damnit I loved that dog. I miss her. :cry:

Jedi_Kal-El
02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I had a wire haired Dachschund when I was growing up. Miss that little fella, he had some serious personality. Anytime we'd have a thunderstorm, he'd jump in the air and bark at the thunder. He wasn't afraid of anything.

TeeEye7
02-10-2008, 04:05 PM
She's beautiful ! Post the others if you can. :thumbsup: Is she a mini or a full size? There's nothing in the pic to give me an idea of scale.

We had a long haired mini, so she wasn't as "weiner dog" looking since she had long hair...damnit I loved that dog. I miss her. :cry:

Here are my other two girls. According to my vet, they are considered "tweenies" because of their size and weight. They are a bit over the mini size, but very much under the standard size doxy. We have a neighbor who has a standard dachshund. Gunther (great name!) is about 40 pounds and most people mistaken him for a Bassett.

Dixie is the queen. Aloof, and regal. Pepper is my hunter. She nails birds and squirrels and shares them with Dad (which freaks Mrs. TI7 out).

As you and Kal-El know, Dachshunds sure have a personality. Feisty and independent, but extremely loving. BTW, I really like the long-hair variety, too. Quite elegant looking. As for the wire-haired, it's fun watching people's faces when you tell them they are doxies. They won't believe you. They think it's some stretched-out Terrier. I like the breed in all its varieties! :thumbsup:

jjreason
02-10-2008, 04:14 PM
They look gorgeous - and not a hint of under-nourishment to be seen anywhere! :D:D:D:D:D

TeeEye7
02-10-2008, 04:18 PM
They look gorgeous - and not a hint of under-nourishment to be seen anywhere! :D:D:D:D:D

That's for sure! Peter Paul Reubens would have loved to paint these girls! ;)

Jargo
02-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I was under the impression you say it Dash-un't. Daxx-hunt could work too I guess. sausage dog works for me.

TeeEye7
02-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I've been impressed with my dogs' English vocabulary lately. They are quite bright and know a lot of word/sentence combinations. It's sad that we humans don't have the same ability to be bilingual with their speech. Sure, they can make their intentions known for the most part, but it would be really cool to understand all their thoughts and meanings. I wonder how it is that they have the ability to understand us much better than we understand them?