PDA

View Full Version : NARCOTICS: Use or Abuse?

DARKLORD_67
02-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Wow! It's amazing to me how my original little "Billy Dee Williams Colt-45" comment (over in the "show us your picture" thread) mushroomed into this interesting discussion about substance use / abuse. I love it.

THIS is a lively topic!!! However Mr. Daddypants was RIGHT, and I have now continued this worthwhile topic in its OWN thread.

Also, please excuse the length of this post, but you may find my stated viewpoint interesting if you take the time to read it:

I am 40 years old. Happily married for 8 years. An active home-owner, and proprietor of my own business. I take care of myself by eating right, excersicing, and practicing spirituality to strengthen my mind (no particular religion). I am civically-minded, I vote, pay my taxes, and I keep abreast of current events around me.

This is who I am today. And in my YOUTH, things were very much the same.

I was a teenager all through the glorious "excess days" of the 1980's. So I know all about the social pressures to fit in with your peers who were drinking and doing drugs.

I am very PROUD of the fact that I was stong enough of character, dignity, and self-respect (even at that young an age) to be able to see the SHEER STUPIDITY of their narcotics use / abuse for what it truly was, and to REFUSE to succumb to their "peer pressure". I NEVER gave a $#it about being called "square" or "un-cool" so I NEVER chose to get high, and I never will !

Forcing POISON on your body that alters your lucidity, personality, alertness, self-control, and state of mind can be described as nothing else in my view.

It is a COLOSSAL waste of time, money, mind, and life.

For EVERY SINGLE hard, drug-addicted person that you show ME who has ever irrevocably destroyed his own life and / or the lives of others, I'll show YOU someone who began by drinking alcohol or smoking "harmless" marijuana on "... evenings and weekends only..." and who were doing it in "...moderation..."

I don't say this to attack anyone. I'm not interested in that. I'm only voicing my views on the subject and (hopefully) offering some food for thought.

I know that some will disagree with my politically-incorrect statements. And I know that some will even ask how I could attack something as "harmless" as weed when it is a "... natural product of the Earth..."

Well, there are many natural products of the Earth, and not all of them are "harmless" to the human organism. Poison Ivy is "natural" too. Would YOU roll around naked in a bush of the stuff? Well, I suppose you could, but that TOO would be FOOLISH, HARMFUL, and INCREDIBLY STUPID. Being "natural" is a poor argument for the "harmlessness" of marijuana.

Not to mention the fact that the marijuana GARBAGE that you purchase from your local CRIMINAL street pusher is NOT exactly the pure, organic weed of the Earth.

Would YOU allow YOUR small child to be driven to school by an individual if you knew that this individual had recently smoked some "harmless" marijuana that made them feel... "mellow"?

There is a lot of talk of "casual" drug use in this country. Folks saying things like "I only do cocaine in moderation... weekends only. It doesn't control me."

Well I'm here to tell you that it DOES! If you feel the need to get high (even once in a while), then the substance IS CONTROLLING YOU. The desire to get high can ONLY exist in an individual when self-respect, pride, and self-dicipline are ABSENT in that individual's life.

Searching for (or desiring) an alternate state of mind (by getting high) can only mean that you are un-happy with your current (sober) one.

Now we all have moments in this troubled world where we are un-happy with the state of things. Bills piling high. Not making enough money. Troubles with the boss, or the spouse, or the kids.

You name it.

But no one ever said that life would be a cake-walk.

Sure, there are some folks who choose to get high, and to ignore their problems and responsibilites. These people have the juvenile tendency to ("occasionally" or regularly) dull their senses with narcotics and to allow their un-resolved issues to grow, fester, and contaminate their lives like last month's garbage.

The result is that their life's challenges are NEVER confronted or eliminated, and so NEW ones are just added and piled on. And of course, after a while, these individuals, seeing the insurmountable mountain of ENDLESS CRAP that their lives have become, spiral deeper and deeper into the NEED for more substances to "forget" their problems.

I find it interesting that these people's LACK of self control, organization, and discipline spills over into virtually ALL aspects of their lives (Re: Constantly being late to appointments, un-clean un-kempt disheaveled appearence, poor personal hygene, no self-pride, and living quarters that often border on dangerously filfthy and un-sanitary. Their personal spaces are usually plagued with mess, bad clutter, horrible smells, weeks-old discarded food containers and open beverage bottles and cans, and almost always, a game console running 24/7 in the corner making funny sounds.

Are there some "stoners" that DO NOT fit this profile? Probably. But in my experience, they are the exception to the rule.

Then there are some people who choose to NOT EVER get high, and soberly and responsibly confront their life's problems as they come up. These mature-minded people work hard to eliminate all personally debilitating issues from their lives, leaving themselves free to be PROUD of their accomplishments, their families, and their lives... yes even while sober. People like that generally are punctual for appointments, they maintain a neat appearance and good personal hygene. And as far as their living quarters go, they usually reside in beautiful, well-maintained spaces.

Now... I know that none of you KNOW me personally. And, as far as you are concerned, I could just be talking out of the side of my face. But I'll put MY money where my mouth is and CEMENT this final point. I don't believe in hypocricy and I practice what I preach:

1) I'm NEVER LATE for appointments.

2) My self-pride, and self-dignity are fully INTACT (in case you haven't noticed).

3) Here is my photo (once again for anyone who missed it. I am obviously NOT the best-looking guy in the world, but this is a good example of my PERSONAL APPEARANCE virtually every day that I go out into the world. I believe in looking like, smelling like, and conducting myself as a true gentleman should:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/LIONS%20ROAR/KaraokeHostRoberto.jpg

And as for my PERSONAL LIVING SPACE, here are some photos of my Brooklyn apartment which demonstrate the standard that I choose to live under... for myself and for my wife. I have NO outside housekeeper, and I personally handle ALL cleaning and maintenance of my home.

My ENTRY FOYER:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/MainEntrance-FoyerMail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/CatEnclosuremail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/foyermail.jpg

MY LIVING ROOM:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Foyerarchwaymail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/LivingRoomSeatingmail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/HomeTheaterLukeVader.jpg

MY KITCHEN:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/KitchenArchwaymail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Microwave-Stove.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Kitchencounter.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Kitchencabinets.jpg

GENERAL BATH:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/TowelRackmail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/Toilet-ShowerCurtainmail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/BathroomCielingFixtureMail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/BathVanityMail.jpg

Neuroleptic
02-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I have never touched any illegal drug, nor used legal ones to get high, and never will. I also have never been drunk and never will get drunk. I also have never smoked a single cigarette or chewed tobacco. All are a waste of time and money. That alone is enough reason for me not to touch the stuff.

Here's a small example of the stupid thing drug users will do.

One day a co worker of mine wanted to buy my gass mask to convert it in to a bong. At the time I didn't even know what that was, so I asked him. There was no way I was going to let him turn it into something like that, so I quoted him a mad crazy price for it (250 dollars).

If I hadn't told him I was kidding after he accepted it, he'd have been stupid enough to pay it just to 'get a good high'. Stupid idiot didn't realize I only paied 25 bucks for it, and even after I told him that, he was still willing to pay the 250 dollars for it. I didn't sell it. I had it at the time for a holloween costume. I keep it around now as a reminder of just how stupid some people can be.

That's just sad.

Something else that bothers me in my profession, is people in the medical field who smoke cigarets. We know far better than anyone the gory details of what happens and watch people die from it all the time. Yet there are still people who I work with who will walk into a room where someone is dieing from cancer in the lungs (it's horrible by the way. In the end, your lungs fill with fluid and you slowly suffocate to death over the course of several days. I'll never forget the look of terror on the first person's face I saw die that way), they turn around, go outside and . . .

Yep, you guessed it.

Light up.

How addicted to something do you have to be to do that to yourself? I find it rather scarry.

Kidhuman
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Coming from someone who did MANY drugs in there life, I would say I would never KNOWINGLY let my kids get in a car with someone who is high/drunk.

Marijuana is the least harmless of all the drugs I have ever done. I feel it should be legalized and treated the same way as drinking and driving. I havent smoked weed in aout 5 years, but if it was legal I would do it again. I enjoyed the relaxing feeling of it and never did it to et :F'ed up" in the last few years I smoked.

I dont drink nearly as much as I used to. I actually bought a 6 pack of Cider on Friday. It was the first alcoholic beverage I purchased in about 6 months. I enjoy a drink every now and then. I used to drink every night and drive around to go buy weed, but tose days are long passed me now.

I do however take prescription drugs for my medical issues. I dont take them either to get messed up. To tell you the truth, if I didnt need them, I more than likely wouldnt take them.

jjreason
02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Well, I'm impressed Roberto. You've certainly got a lot of willpower and work ethic.

The sad state of affairs, though, is that there are a LOT of folks out there who's needs are not being met. They don't fit in anywhere - except in groups of people who feel like they don't fit in.... who tend to have low self esteem... which may contribute to drug use.

Not everyone has tons of confidence and a clear vision of right and wrong (at least that falls within society's conventions). Many people are confused. Many people don't get good guidance from their families or their teachers or ANYONE for that matter. Can we blame them?

In my opinion, giving kids the FACTS about the potential for disaster when using substances is the key - make sure they at least understand the consequences so they can make their choices with some knowledge, not just the BS side of the story your local dealer wants them to hear.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't really drink anymore, but I don't knock people who do it. I wasn't an everyday drinker, but when I did I had a tendency to binge drink alot, and could go through a 12 pack in less than an hour sometimes. Back in my heyday I could chase a double shot of 151 with a couple of MGDs. I don't really miss those days though, and I'm glad I never did anything really stupid in the process.

DARKLORD_67
02-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Marijuana is the least harmless of all the drugs I have ever done. I feel it should be legalized and treated the same way as drinking and driving. I havent smoked weed in aout 5 years, but if it was legal I would do it again. I enjoyed the relaxing feeling of it and never did it to et :F'ed up" in the last few years I smoked.

I hate to break it to you, Kidhuman, but that "...relaxing feeling..." that you're describing is nothing more and nothing less than you being intoxicated... enebreated... you know, "... "F"-ed up..."

You might disagree with that assessment (I'm sure you do), but consider this: In a single paragraph, you refer to a substance (marijuana) that you describe as "harmless", and yet (according to you) has (at least) the potential of "..."F"-ing you up..." (even if you don't think you went that far).

Furthermore, while you say that you would never allow YOUR child to be driven by an intoxicated person, the FACT remains that if YOU ever got behind the wheel in that "... relaxed..." state which you remember so fondly (brought about by the mind-numbing properies of marijuana), then you would be putting your OWN life and the lives of OTHERS in jeapordy.

Period.

Driving an automobile requires you to be alert, focused, and attentive... all of the things that marijuana TAKES AWAY, even by the admission of "causal users" would only like to feel "...relaxed..."

Old Fossil
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Coming late to the fray...

Man, that cat's got it good. Not Roberto, but literally the cat that lives in that place. Well, Roberto, too, I guess.

Then again, I don't know as I'd want to be that cat. From the looks of the apartment, Roberto looks to be a little, uh, controlling. Everything is immaculate... a little too immaculate. In addition, I didn't see any pictures of the wife there, Robbie. No feminine stuff lying around -- clothes, make-up, hair dryer, shoes, purse, People or In Style or other magazines... you know, wife stuff. (Didn't see the wife, either.) Anyone who lives with a woman knows that the house, while it can be tidy, cannot by definition be a woman's home and be THAT tidy.

And where's the litterbox, Robbie? And is the cat allowed on the kitchen counters?

The more I look at those pictures, the more I am reminded of those flyers I get in the mail each week from Lowe's...

Am I saying that I don't believe that's really where DarkLordRoberto lives? No, I suppose not. But I am saying that that whole photo montage, along with the self-righteous anti-narcotic song and dance, is damned peculiar.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm going to use a cliche quote here, but I think it really fits the bill!

"Never judge a person before you walk a mile in their shoes!"

I will judge no one for smoking, drinking, doing legal/illegal drugs or not doing any of the above because I do not know what reasons this person has for doing what they do.

I smoke cigarettes, have for awhile. Quit many times for years at a time, but always go back. I am envious of people who have never smoked because they don't have that addiction to nicotine (just so you all know, I am a very conscientious smoker as well...never throw my butts on the ground, never smoke around anyone, especially those who do not smoke and I never smoke in places where there are many people. I usually reserve my smoking habit to my home, outside ONLY)! This is why I will not judge a person on heroin or an alcoholic or someone who smokes pot.

We are all addicted to something...cigs, star wars figure collecting, food, working out, religion, antidepressants, work...you name it, someone has some form of addiction. So it's no one's place to judge anyone else's addictions!!

Here's the deal. If you choose to do none, some or all, so be it! But life, no matter WHAT you do, is a gamble. My Mom never smoked, drank or did any type of drug in her life...she got Breast Cancer and died at 61!

A close friend of mine just found out he has testicular cancer at the age of 32, also does not smoke, drink or partake in legal/illegal drug use.

My Grandpa smoked Lucky Strike Bareass since the age of 9 and drank whiskey and scotch daily (he was a completely functioning alcoholic). He died at the age of 89 from old age.

My Aunt Edna had a shot of Jack EVERY night before she hit the sack. Died at 99 (and I am NOT kidding). She punctured her lung in a fall.

I'm not saying that these things do not lower your lifespan, but so do a hell of a lot of other things in this world, like stress or living in Southern California.

So do what you like, don't shove it down anyone else's throat and (wait for it, another cliche saying) live and let live.

The one problem I have with narcotic addictions is the connection is carries with crime. You are then involving someone else and hurting them in some form or another. And driving under the influence!

I am now finished. :thumbsup:

2-1B
02-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I collect Canadian quarters. We all have our vices.

Kidhuman
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I hate to break it to you, Kidhuman, but that "...relaxing feeling..." that you're describing is nothing more and nothing less than you being intoxicated... enebreated... you know, "... "F"-ed up..."

It calms the nerves and all. I have done rugs were it doesnt relax you like cocaine and makes you all hyper. Thats the "relaxed" feeling I was going for.

You might disagree with that assessment (I'm sure you do), but consider this: In a single paragraph, you refer to a substance (marijuana) that you describe as "harmless", and yet (according to you) has (at least) the potential of "..."F"-ing you up..." (even if you don't think you went that far).

Harmless in the sense it isnt going to kill you from OD'ing on it. A person will pass out long before it reaches the point of killing anyone. The only side effects are sleep and hunger.

Furthermore, while you say that you would never allow YOUR child to be driven by an intoxicated person, the FACT remains that if YOU ever got behind the wheel in that "... relaxed..." state which you remember so fondly (brought about by the mind-numbing properies of marijuana), then you would be putting your OWN life and the lives of OTHERS in jeapordy.

Period.

I smoked so much pot that it was like being sober. If I wasnt high I didnt feel right. What I did wasnt right. Parent by the motto "Do as I say, not as I do/did"

Driving an automobile requires you to be alert, focused, and attentive... all of the things that marijuana TAKES AWAY, even by the admission of "causal users" would only like to feel "...relaxed..."

Everyone is different. I know people who drink 1 beer and cant walk. I know a guy who can drink a case and be perfectly normal. Everyone has different limitations. I never crashed or got into any accidents when high. One or two puffs to somoene who has a tolerance isnt going to do much. I drive on my prescription meds and I am alert and focused. The only accident I ever got into was because I was speeding. I was perfectly sober at the time. Anything can happen at anytime to anyone, no matter what state they are in. A person who is trashed shouldnt be driving. A person who had a sip of alcohol can drive. I am actually a worse driver when I am not smoking a cigarette. People have different things to make them relaxed. I would prefer someone wo took one it of a joint and it made them feel relaxed then having a high strung, road raged freak driving me anywhere.

DARKLORD_67
02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, I'm impressed Roberto. You've certainly got a lot of willpower and work ethic.

Thanks a million, JJ, for your compliment on my work ethic.

However, the word "willpower" (in our culture) somehow implies having a strong desire for something, but having the powerful self-control to resist that desire.

That honestly doesn't describe me because I never had a desire for narcotics that needed resistance.

But I know what you meant, JJ, and I thank you sincerely for your compliment.

Not everyone has tons of confidence and a clear vision of right and wrong (at least that falls within society's conventions). Many people are confused. Many people don't get good guidance from their families or their teachers or ANYONE for that matter. Can we blame them?

Well THAT'S the real question, isn't it? Is clarity of vision, confidence, and moral compass dependent upon the good guidance of others?

Perhaps to some degree. But I believe that in the end, we make our OWN decisions in life, for better or worse. And ultimately WE are responsible for our own actions.

Look, my parents were always hard-working folks who made sure to provide a decent home and food on the table for their family.

But they were also people who constantly had loud, frightening (to a child) shouting matches with vulgar words screamed at one another, doors being slammed and objects being thrown around the room. They BOTH smoked cigarettes, and occassionaly partook in (the narcotic of) alcohol in front of their children. My father regularly left his job at 7:00 PM at night and came home to his wife and young children after 1:00 or 2:00 AM, even though his job was maybe 35 minutes from home.

It's true my father was always a provider. But he was also a lousy daddy. There is a BIG difference between the two. He never took the time to sit and share his little boy's love of STAR WARS (for example). Instead, he made it clear how much he HATED the saga and what a "... waste of time..." he considered it to be.

THESE were the domestic examples I grew up with.

Now, conventional logic dictates that I could have grown up to be just like my father. I could have married a good woman (which I did), and then spent years neglecting her and being a lousy huband and lousy daddy.

Instead, I saw the domestic condition that I grew up with as the example to be studiously avoided. Not difficult, really, since I considered it an unpleasent one.

I quietly decided that making my future wife feel desired, attractive, valued, and respected was probably going to create a more harmonious domestic condition than treating her like crap and being an absentee husband.

Call me funny, but THAT'S what I learned.

In that same way, I saw PLENTY of examples around me of how narcotics destroy lives. THAT point was always VERY clear to me. I did NOT need to "...experience it for myself..." to discover the fundemental truth of it all, anymore than I needed to experience an anvil falling on my foot to understand the fact that it would hurt like the dickens.

My point is, unless you live in a bubble, free of sights and sounds, for the first 12 or 13 formative years of your life, there is NO WAY IN HELL that you could be ignorant of the destruction narcotics cause.

Yes some people are "...confused..." . But many of these people also have a tendency to over-complicate things that are really very simple and very basic. They end up confusing themselves, in my view.

In my opinion, giving kids the FACTS about the potential for disaster when using substances is the key - make sure they at least understand the consequences so they can make their choices with some knowledge, not just the BS side of the story your local dealer wants them to hear.

I certainly agree that decent, sober, responsible adults should be ones offering this guidance to children.

Last year, to pick up some extra money (for more TAC Hasbro toys:D:D:D) I decided to do some (music) teaching at two local public schools. One was an elementary school and the other was a middle school.

At the elementary school I used to bring my Master Replicas Darth Vader Llightsaber to class, and called it my "Peace-maker" whenever the class got unruly and out of hand. Worked brilliantly.

Anyway, one of the earliest things that I ever told my students (especially the little ones) was that "adults" many times do some DUMB CRAP! One of them, I explained, was to drink alcohol and consume narcotics... of ANY KIND!!!!!! (marijuana, cocaine, crack, heroine, inhalants).

I made them learn and memorize Mr. Williams' Rules of Personal Life Success". I explained that instead of running from "head to toe", these rules operated in reverse (from "toe to head") The "rules" were stated as follows:

1) FEET: Keep your shoes polished and shined AT ALL TIMES!

2) BODY: Keep you clothes neat, clean, and pressed AT ALL TIMES!
Your NEAT appearence is the FIRST IMPRESSION that you give to the world about YOU.

3) BODY: RESPECT and HONOR your body. DO NOT poison it with narcotics... EVER!!! Keep your body CLEAN inside and out!

4) HEART: Love someone. And accept and appreciate the love of someone in return.

5) HANDS: Offer someone a FIRM handshake (palm to palm) when you first meet them, and...

6) EYES: ... look them DIRECTLY in the eyes as you introduce yourself PROPERLY. "Good afternoon, I'm Roberto Williams. It's a pleasure to meet you.

7) BRAIN: Feed your brain with as much KNOWLEDGE and INFORMATION as possible. EDUCATE YOURSELF about as many things as you can.

8) BRAIN: Maintain DIGNITY and personal SELF-RESPECT at ALL TIMES!!!

9) OUTWARD BEHAVIOR: Go out and DO SOME GOOD in the world. Be a DECENT human being. Help someone. Smile at someone. Pass your knowledge on to someone else. Contribute to your society by doing an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. Care enough for your COUNTRY to vote, pay your taxes, and raise decent children of your own (if you choose to have children).

LusiferSam
02-10-2008, 11:16 PM
I've lost too many friends and family members to have anything good to say about drugs. Like DARKLORD_67 and Neuroleptic I've never try any illegal drug, smoked a cigarette, or gotten drunk. And I don't have a clue as to why. I'm the only one out of my circle of friends from high school that hasn't had smoked or had a drug or alcohol problem. I won't go in their personalities, but their not that different from me. So why me?

One of my best friends lost 10 years of her life to drug use. 10 years! Gone just like that. Until we reconnect recently I thought for sure she was going to be one of those friends that just turns up dead. When I lost track of her, her life was so far down the tubes I didn't think she'd every come back. But she did. She's been clear and sober for about three year now. She not the same person I knew when we first meet, but she's also not the same as when I graduated.

My sister and I had a huge falling out because of her drug and alcohol problems. I can't begin to describe how bad thing got between us, but shortly before she finally starting getting help I didn't care where she lived or died. My one and only sister. I just had to stop caring. Things are better between us now, but I still have a lot of trust issues with her.

Smoking. I can't stand it. I know it's an addiction. I know it's one of the hardest habits to break. I've tried to be support of my friends who smoke and encourage them to quit in positive ways. But it's hard. I watched my grandfather die of emphysema. It's like watching someone being straggled over 10 years. I can't stand the thought of seeing that happen to someone else I'm close to.

DARKLORD_67
02-11-2008, 12:03 AM
From the looks of the apartment, Roberto looks to be a little, uh, controlling. Everything is immaculate... a little too immaculate.

I do NOT believe there is any such thing as "... too immaculate...". I believe in having PRIDE in my home. And, yes, I prefer things to be neat, clean and uncluttered in my living space. But I also am a firm believer in doing my OWN maintenance and cleaning. I do NOT demand that my wife (or anyone for that matter) clean my home for me. I am no chauvanist, and I'm no stranger to hard work. No one can EVER call me "high maintenance" since I gladly do all of my OWN maintainance.

In addition, I didn't see any pictures of the wife there, Robbie. No feminine stuff lying around -- clothes, make-up, hair dryer, shoes, purse, People or In Style or other magazines... you know, wife stuff. (Didn't see the wife, either.) Anyone who lives with a woman knows that the house, while it can be tidy, cannot by definition be a woman's home and be THAT tidy.

Firstly, I prefer NOT to be called "Robbie", so I'd rather that you dropped that.

Secondly, our home IS that tidy, and my wife and cat(s) DO live there (VERY happily I might add).

Thirdly, my wife very much considers our living space to be her HOME, in every sense of the word.

You're right. There are no pictures of my wife in this series of home photos. But there are also no posted photos of ME in our home either. It's simply NOT our style.

As to my wife's property, it is all stored where it BELONGS instead of cluttering our space unnecessarily. We are firm believers that every thing has it's proper place.

My wife's clothes? Shoes? Purses, Handbags? They're all stored in her closet on hangers and racks. If her clothes are dirty, they're down in the basement laundry basket... where they BELONG! They're not strewn about our bedroom or on the bathroom floor, creating an unsightly clutter mess.

Her make-up? Hair dryer? Toiletry items? They're all in a drawer in our batroom vanity cabinet, and in our bathroom closet... where they BELONG.

Magazines? My wife and I both maintain a practice of reading them and then DISCARDING them when we are finished. My wife has never had any interest in archiving her magazines, and neither have I. Every week, a small stack of magazines is bundled up and put out with the rest of the paper recyclables. For us, it's a simple, natural, automatic thing, like brushing your teeth or combing your hair.

I'm sorry that the lack of mess and clutter in my home threatens you so much. But you can relax, because I'm unlikey ever to invite you over for dinner or a sleep-over.

And where's the litterbox, Robbie?

We have three cats: A black three-year old tomcat ("Jedi"), a grey/ brown 2-1/2 year old tabby ("Wampa"), and a 2 year old white girlie (Oola). They have their own private litterbox cubby space which holds 2 large boxes, and is furninshed with an electronic air de-odorizer.

In the photo showing "Jedi" standing in the foyer, he is emerging out of this very space.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Home%20Theater/CatEnclosuremail.jpg

And is the cat allowed on the kitchen counters?

Yes. As a matter of fact they are. They EAT their meals daily ON the kitchen counter. They wrestle, nap, groom each other... all on the kitchen counter. Here's a photo taken during the evening dinner "feeding frenzy" as my wife approached with an open can of cat food.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/darklord1967/Jedi%20and%20Wampa/THEMODSQUADmail.jpg

Now what EXACTLY was your point in asking that question? Nothing really? I thought so.

The more I look at those pictures, the more I am reminded of those flyers I get in the mail each week from Lowe's...

Thanks. I consider that a compliment. Those catalogue photos are of some beautiful MODEL homes. "Model" as in "...ideal example...".

Am I saying that I don't believe that's really where DarkLordRoberto lives? No, I suppose not.

Well I certainly have no interest in pretending to live in a home that I do NOT live in. That would be pointless, petty, and quite frankly VERY stupid. If it comforts YOU or anyone else to believe that this might NOT be my home, then that's fine. I have NO desire at all to waste my own time convincing you of the truth.

But I am saying that that whole photo montage, along with the self-righteous anti-narcotic song and dance, is damned peculiar.

Well the posting of my home photo montage had a VERY SPECIFIC purpose in this topic, and if you read my post fully, you'd know what it is. So I won't bother to repeat it.

As for my "... anti-narcotic song and dance...", it may have been "self-righteous", but it was also no BS.

Also, judging by the number of VERY supportive congratulatory PM's I've received ever since begining this thread, I'd say YOU are the only one who finds it "... dammed peculiar..."

And YOU, Old Fossil, can take THAT to the bank and tell them I sent ya.:rolleyes:

Deoxyribonucleic
02-11-2008, 12:11 AM
I collect Canadian quarters. We all have our vices.

That is the ONE thing I am prejudiced against. Caesar, I take back my affections and can never speak to you again! :mad:

Chi Min Daka Caesar, CHI MIN DAKA!

;)

El Chuxter
02-11-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't get drunk anymore. I used to do so not exactly often, but not seldom, either. The last time I did, it wasn't pleasant. At all. I'd never been hung over (I have an amazingly fast metabolism, so it normally worked itself out while I slept), and it's not a sensation I ever want to experience again.

I do still drink beer occasionally; as I mentioned in the other thread before I realized this one had spun out of it, I do so mainly to flush out my kidneys and make sure that stones don't form in them. And I enjoy the taste of "finer" beers (Guiness, Newcastle, some varieties of Samuel Adams, etc). I limit myself to one at a time, and, very rarely (once a month or less) I'll have two or three over a period of a few hours (so as not to get intoxicated without intending to).

In my "wild days," I never, ever, ever, ever would get behind the wheel. I slept in my car once when I intended to drink two beers and "hang out" for four hours to burn them off, and, since it was a going-away party in my honor, ended up having a lot of drinks ordered for me and didn't refuse them. Even smashed, I knew enough to know I shouldn't drive. I still won't after having only one beer, unless I allow twice the time I know it takes to work itself out of my system.

I puffed on a cigarette once. I was drunk (surprisingly enough), and the sensation was more weird than anything else. It was a little disturbing, the momentary feeling of incredible euphoria that blocks out anything else for just a split second.

Normally, I just marvel that someone, at some point, decided to put leaves in their mouths and light them on fire.

I've never done anything harder than alcohol. I don't condemn anyone for doing it, as long as they don't endanger themselves or others, but it's just not for me. Even at my craziest (read: my senior year of college), I had enough sense to make sure I wasn't crossing the line into addiction or self-destruction.

Funny thing is, I can be so "odd" that most people have always assumed I indulge in much harder stuff.

By the way, I really admire your discipline in keeping your home so immaculate. I am the total opposite. I'm trying not to be, though.

TeeEye7
02-11-2008, 12:19 AM
We are all addicted to something...

I'm addicted to love....:love:

Deoxyribonucleic
02-11-2008, 12:22 AM
By the way, I really admire your discipline in keeping your home so immaculate. I am the total opposite. I'm trying not to be, though.

Yeah, no kidding! I'm still lost somewhere in your huge pile o' laundry/compost pile. I'd really like to go home Chux, I have a cat to feed and Granny to take care of, so if you could find it in your heart to dig me out, I'd really appreciate it. I mean come on! I've been here for months and I still can't find my way outta this mess! I think my clothes have been eaten away by some fungus that is growing in here as well so it is very likely that you will find a naked lesbian under all of this..."stuff" :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
So that's what my daughter was babbling about earlier....

;)

Deoxyribonucleic
02-11-2008, 12:26 AM
So that's what my daughter was babbling about earlier....

;)

Chicken just flew outta my mouth! lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol That was BRILLIANT Chux! :whip: lol lol lol lol

DARKLORD_67
02-11-2008, 12:59 AM
I take exception to your assumption that people who do drink socially or smoke the occasional joint have no self-respect.

I certainly understand that you feel that way, because you take your occasional "... social drink..." and smoke your "... occasional joints..." But try to understand what self-respect really means. Folks have a tendency to see "self-respect" as an un-defined nebulous thing.

Respect of the self means to respect your body, your physical and mental health, and your relationship to others. Your body and mind ARE the "self".

I see no respect for your body when you are knowingly and "socially" poisoning it with cigarettes, alcohol, and weed.

I see no respect for your mental awareness and health when you knowingly use a substance that numbs, deadens and gradually destroys your cognitive ability.

If you do NOT respect, protect, and strengthen your body and mind, then you are NOT truly respecting your SELF.

Not doing so doesn't make you smarter or more respectable.

DK, you can believe that if you want to, but the real world simply does NOT work that way. The fact of the matter is if you take two people of roughly equal intelligence and have one of them get high for ten years on marijuana and booze, while the other stays sober for all that time, and then you compared their lives, the SOBER guy will MOST CERTAINLY be smarter and more respectable.

There is NOTHING "smart" about getting high. But there is plenty that is "smart" about NOT getting high.

And do you want to talk about respectability? I'll bet you a billion dollars that if I were competing for a job along with a guy of equal age, intelligence, and qualifications (who happened to also be a narcotics user), the employer would see ME as the far more "respectable" candidate.

I don't care if this stoner showed up to the interview dressed to the nines. If he showed up with bloodshot eyes, reeking of weed, slurring his words, and "feeling mellow" on the joint that he just smoked, I'd have a billion times more respectability in the eyes of the employer.

It's kind of narrow-minded to assume that everyone who does drink a few drinks has spent the majority of their life not showing up for work or apologizing for their behavior.

I never said nor implied that. In essence what I said was that a sober individual would likely NEVER call in sick to work due to a hang-over. A sober person would likely NEVER go through life apologizing for dumb crap they did or said to someone while intoxicated on some stupid drug.

Those "honors" are ONLY reserved for folks would like to get high. Why? Because ONLY a narcotics user can ever have a hang-over. NOT a sober person. ONLY a narcotics user can artificially loose their inhibitions, injure others, and then wake up the next morning NOT REMEMBERING IT!!!!!!

I'm 28 years old and I have a closet full of suits and a great job that requires I wear one everyday. My descision to enjoy a drink when I'm out at a club hasn't prevented me from accomplishing that.

Having a great job and a closet full of suits (in and of itself) is NO mark of discipline and self control. THOSE things can only determined by your actions and progress in life.

Devil King
02-11-2008, 04:30 AM
I certainly understand that you feel that way, because you take your occasional "... social drink..." and smoke your "... occasional joints..." But try to understand what self-respect really means. Folks have a tendency to see "self-respect" as an un-defined nebulous thing.

Respect of the self means to respect your body, your physical and mental health, and your relationship to others. Your body and mind ARE the "self".

I see no respect for your body when you are knowingly and "socially" poisoning it with cigarettes, alcohol, and weed.

I see no respect for your mental awareness and health when you knowingly use a substance that numbs, deadens and gradually destroys your cognitive ability.

If you do NOT respect, protect, and strengthen your body and mind, then you are NOT truly respecting your SELF.

DK, you can believe that if you want to, but the real world simply does NOT work that way. The fact of the matter is if you take two people of roughly equal intelligence and have one of them get high for ten years on marijuana and booze, while the other stays sober for all that time, and then you compared their lives, the SOBER guy will MOST CERTAINLY be smarter and more respectable.

There is NOTHING "smart" about getting high. But there is plenty that is "smart" about NOT getting high.

And do you want to talk about respectability? I'll bet you a billion dollars that if I were competing for a job along with a guy of equal age, intelligence, and qualifications (who happened to also be a narcotics user), the employer would see ME as the far more "respectable" candidate.

I don't care if this stoner showed up to the interview dressed to the nines. If he showed up with bloodshot eyes, reeking of weed, slurring his words, and "feeling mellow" on the joint that he just smoked, I'd have a billion times more respectability in the eyes of the employer.

I never said nor implied that. In essence what I said was that a sober individual would likely NEVER call in sick to work due to a hang-over. A sober person would likely NEVER go through life apologizing for dumb crap they did or said to someone while intoxicated on some stupid drug.

Those "honors" are ONLY reserved for folks would like to get high. Why? Because ONLY a narcotics user can ever have a hang-over. NOT a sober person. ONLY a narcotics user can artificially loose their inhibitions, injure others, and then wake up the next morning NOT REMEMBERING IT!!!!!!

Having a great job and a closet full of suits (in and of itself) is NO mark of discipline and self control. THOSE things can only determined by your actions and progress in life.

Having self-respect, or what every it is that you really have, is no excuse to be arrogant. It's simply an unrealistic and petty need to boast over yourself that woud even lead you to make across-the-board statements about everyone who smokes a joint or has a drink. If you've never done it, then you really have no frame of reference on which to base your assumptions. If you think that everyone who smokes a joint wakes up the next morning and relives a scene out of an anti-drug commercial, you're speaking from ignorance. I've never smoked a joint, answered the phone the next morning and had to apologize for anything. In fact, I'm more likely to tell someone what I think when I'm sober than I am when I've been drinking.

I don't know if a member of your family beat the hell out of you because they drank or didn't pay child support because they bought drugs, but you're kind of talking out of your ***. I'm sure if you smoked a joint everyday for ten years, you wouldn't have all your brain cells, but I haven't been talking about that level of drug or alcohol use. Besides, 10 years from now, you won't even have those precious brain cells you're not "abusing". You toss around terms like "stoner" and "drunks", as though these words apply to everyone who smokes a joint or drinks a beer. It's simply asinine.

And if dressing like a "gentleman" (which fails to come across in this thread) and having a good job is a measure of the success you've enjoyed in life BECAUSE you don't drink or smoke, then it's a perfectly legitimate counter argument that I have accomplished the same despite enjoying a joint here and there.

I'm not going to get into a drawn out argument or debate with you over this, neither is anything you have to say going to change my mind about the matter. I've had my issues with drinking, and I've dealt with them. It's nothing that I think is particular to a guy when he's dealing with coming out of the closet to all his friends and family. I got myself into trouble and I got myself out of it.

DARKLORD_67
02-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Having self-respect, or what every it is that you really have, is no excuse to be arrogant.

And I haven't been. You only see me that way because you are feeling attacked and singled-out by my opinion. But I'm sorry to inform you that you simply do NOT carry enough importance in my own life for me to focus THAT kind of attention on you.

I will, however, show you the courtesy of responding to your points one by one.

It's simply an unrealistic and petty need to boast over yourself that woud even lead you to make across-the-board statements about everyone who smokes a joint or has a drink.

Let me be clear about one thing: This is NOT about me boasting over myself. Judging by the number of VERY nice PMs that I've received since I started this topic, quite a few (soberly-minded) folks here understand that.

Frankly, I'm really NOT surprised that the main thrust of my point escapes YOU.

No, this is NOT about me boasting over myself. But what it IS about is how sick to my stomach I've always been listening to the IDIOTIC rhetoric and BS excuses of stoners defending and justifying their juvenile behavior.

I'm tired of how young people all over this country are being conned and bullied into thinking that using narcotics is somehow "cool", or that they'll "fit in" with a group of stoned LOSERS who eventually will be going nowhere in life anyway.

With all the young, impressionable people reading these threads, I just felt that it was high about time that someone stood up and declared how "cool" SOBRIETY is. I wanted to say LOUD AND CLEAR that stability, self-dicipline, and self respect, can be the biggest "high" there is... and unlike POT, it's GREAT for you!

I wanted to show that the rewards of leading a clean and sober lifestyle are greater than stoners and addicts can possibly imagine. I wanted young people reading this to know that through sobriety, they could certainly look forward to a harmonious comfortable material life, but most importantly, they could also have the promise of supreme health of body, mind, and spirit to look forward to.

In a world full of media images of colorful, exciting people doing and selling drugs and alcohol, I wanted to say that an even GREATER success, power, and PRIDE was more than possible through sobriety.

I'm sick to death of seeing prominent, arrogant, violent, murdering, vile, stoner figures in the media like, say, Tony Montana from the film Scarface somehow being hailed as some sort of hero by the very young people who will become this county's future! When the hell did THIS nonsense begin?

Frankly, Devil King, my thread was NOT intended for someone like YOU. It was, instead targeted at some young kid who may be experiencing the peer pressure to "... smoke a little weed or take a litttle drink...", when their inner voice tells them that they really don't want to. My message was written primarily for those young people who might NEED to hear and see that sobriety is COOL.

As offended as YOU may be to hear me use terms like "stoner" and "loser" to describe narcotics users, just imagine how offended (and confused) a young impressionable kid might be to hear his "peers" call him a "square", a "sissy" or a "f@ggot" for NOT using narcotics. THAT happens EVERY DAMMED DAY!!!! It happened to me as a kid... and THAT's what's truly offensive!!

So YES, I'm very proud of the fact that even as a kid, I had the presence of mind and self-respect to tell those peer-pressuring @$$holes to go screw themselves. And I now encourge young people everywhere to stand up, be strong, and do the same!!!

If you've never done it, then you really have no frame of reference on which to base your assumptions.

Now THAT'S the biggest, slimiest load of smelly CRAP that I've read in ALL the responses to this topic yet.

I have no frame of reference? What about my eyes, my ears, my life experience? What about ten years working in law-enforcement and seeing narcotics destroy one family after another, smart guy?

Perhaps it is in YOUR nature to need to "...experience.." something first to have a frame of reference. But it is NOT my nature. Like I said in an earlier post, I do NOT need to "expereince" an ANVIL to falling on my foot to know that the pain will be excruciating. That's just a little thing known as COMMON SENSE... something that seems to escape most stoners.

I've lived long enough, and sober enough to see the horrible destruction that even occasional narcotics use can cause.

During my stint as a linguist for the FBI, and even now as a night club / lounge performer in NYC, I see it EVERY NIGHT with people passing out, vomiting, fights breaking out, intoxicated killings, marital infidelities brought about by intoxication... you name it. People are a friggin' MESS out there.

Everyone's looking for some cosmic "truth" from their priests, their shrink, their smart friend, the local bartender... whatever. But the "truth" that eludes everyone is really quite simple: Take good care of your life and it will take good care of you. Respect your mind, body, and spirit, and (barring any unfortunate accidents) they will serve you VERY WELL for a very long time. Maintain discipline, dignity, self-control, and self-respect in your life, and you'll NEVER have to take any CRAP from anybody!

If you think that everyone who smokes a joint wakes up the next morning and relives a scene out of an anti-drug commercial, you're speaking from ignorance.

No, smart guy. I NEVER said that. Put down the joint... just for a minute... so that you can clear your head a bit and understand what it is that I'm saying:

Using YOUR own analogy, what I said was that virtually EVERYONE who has ever woken up in the morning to re-live an (unpleasent but all-too-common) scene out of an "... anti-drug commercial..." did so because they lost control while (foolishly) getting stoned on alchohol, weed, or whatever mind-numbing substance they preferred. My point was that the "anti-drug commercial scene" which you describe is virtually IMPOSSIBLE in the life of a sober person.

This is VERY different from saying that "Every weed or alcohol user eventually ends up in a scene out of an anti-drug ad." It's a ridiculous thing to say, and I don't even feel that way.

I don't know if a member of your family beat the hell out of you because they drank or didn't pay child support because they bought drugs, but you're kind of talking out of your ***.

Well I'd rather talk out of my ***, than have the CRAP that should be coming out of it coming out of my MOUTH instead... like it is with YOU!

Frankly, your display of stoner hostilty is very typical... boringly common, even... without a shred of logic, merit, or maturity.

You toss around terms like "stoner" and "drunks", as though these words apply to everyone who smokes a joint or drinks a beer. It's simply asinine.

No, what's asinine is to use alcohol for the express purpose of getting drunk (as SO many people do every day), and to expect not to be thought of as a drunk.

THAT'S the type of person I'm referring to. I'm NOT talking about someone who has a glass of wine with their meal, or a glass of champange to celebrate a happy occasion, or even a beer to unwind a bit after work.

What's also asinine is YOU disliking your sober self so much that you actually prefer yourself a bit stoned... mellow... or whatever the hell you want to call it, and then getting offended at the thought of being called a "stoner".

That's rich!

And if dressing like a "gentleman" (which fails to come across in this thread)...

Again, only to YOU and to those that don't "get it".

... and having a good job is a measure of the success you've enjoyed in life BECAUSE you don't drink or smoke...

Wrong again, dude. Dressing like a gentlemen, and running my own business is NOT a measure of the success in my life because I'm sober.

Those things are only some pleasant by-products of all my years of hard work, self-discipline and yes, sobriety COMBINED.

But I measure the true success in my life by my physical, emotional, and spiritual health, and by the same for my wife, family, and friends. I measure it by my strong, happy marraige, and the blissful environment that we've created in our home. I measure it by the good friends that I have, and the intelligent, articulate, pleasant way which we are able to enjoy each other's company.

I also measure my success by the number of people who's lives I've made a positive difference in.

I'm very proud of the fact that through my involvment with the bureau, I spent 10 years helping to lock up murderers, rapists, violent gang members, extortionists, and oh YES... drug dealers who poison their own community and other people's children like the selfish cowards they truly are.

I was proud last year to be a teacher of DECENT values to young children. I was honored to be an early catalyst in their young minds to strive for greater and greater things in their lives, and not the commoness of narcotics use. My students all thought that I was SO COOL partially because I was so anti-substance abuse. Kids WANT adults to tell them and show them that it's COOL to stay sober. My own students expressed this to me ALL THE TIME. That, my friend, was one of the greatest "highs" there is.

These days I'm equally proud when someone comes up to me at the end of one of my shows and tells me how GOOD I made them feel by singing a song that brought back nice memories for them.

These are the things that I measure my success by. And sobriety is only one of the key tools that helped get me here.

I'm not going to get into a drawn out argument or debate with you over this, neither is anything you have to say going to change my mind about the matter.

Oh I would never dream of doing anything as foolish, wasteful, and futile as trying to change YOUR mind. You attribute far more time and patience to me than I have to give, I'm afraid.

DarthBrandon
02-11-2008, 07:40 AM
I don't use, so I guess I don't abuse. I know where kidhuman is coming from though. Been there, done that a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.:D

Tycho
02-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I never used / abused drugs (or smoked) at all.

Coming from my family where kidney disease is hereditary and good health is a rare priviledge, I was warned by my parents very clearly to never complicate or jeopardize myself any more. So I didn't.

As life is so fair, I now take 5-6 "drugs" (prescriptions from my doctor) every day just to stay alive that much longer (blood pressure regulator stuff). That can affect how I drive a car, too. So I am very careful.

Alcohol? Well I'll drink occasionally. I actually got into it to purposely destroy myself, and then I found that from time to time, I like a thick dark beer (Sam Adams, Guiness, and lately New Castle is my favorite). Having more than 2 beers can raise my blood pressure and negate the effects of the medacine I'm already paying good money for. So I'm really not a drinker.

For those of you who follow "my adventures," I go to a few bars many nights a week. What do I do there? I have social opportunities from time to time, but I regularly keep up their demand for cranberry and pineapple juice, as well as make sure their water filters are working ;) (I only go places where I can also order healthy food like a side salad, baked potato, etc.)

Now I also sniff my new SW action figures. It all started with the MOUSE DROID. What that was really about was my reaction to the drug culture in college where my peers were supposed to be growing and becoming educated adults, but their priorities were getting "f-d up" and they couldn't flirt without abusing some substance or another.

I didn't see it as worth risking my health, let alone a criminal record (as I saw kids get in trouble with the law), and all to pursue girls that were using them for access to the drugs / alcohol. If the girl was the end, they concentrated so much more on the means and risked too much for no guarantee if you asked me. By contrast, you have an idea of how much I was spending on Star Wars as it was. So as that was kind of an addictive bad habit, and I REALLY DO SNIFF THE DARN FIGURES, I made the whole Mouse Droid sniffing sub-culture thing up and it kind of became famous.

I know some of the drug users (or past ones) think it's funny as they relate to it one way, the others who get that I was making fun of that drug culture appreciated the humor in much the way I did when I thought it up.

But the Mouse Droid thing is actually illustrative of how stupid I think the drug culture is - and spending (wasting) your money on stuff you can't keep. It's true that even the "newness smell" of a new SW figure fades quickly after it's been out of the package for a few days to a week (7" Boba Fett Unleashed STILL smells after how many years?! Stick your entire face into the bottom of the molded Sarlaac Pit and inhale deeply!!! Aaaaagh. Plastic bliss that lasts even if you don't find any 2008 figures until next May). But the point is, you can keep or re-sell your SW forever. Yesterday's cocaine is already snorted. 2003's Boba Fett Unleashed is still "unleashing!"

Kidhuman
02-11-2008, 08:42 AM
even a beer to unwind a bit after work.

Whats the difference(besides legality) if someone takes a few hits from a joint to unwind ten a beer? They stay at home, sit down and watch TV. They arent hurting anyone. They arent driving anywhere. Just sitting down, playing video games, eating dinner, whatever.

JON9000
02-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I wanted young people reading this to know that through sobriety, they could certainly look forward to a harmonious comfortable material life, but most importantly, they could also have the promise of supreme health of body, mind, and spirit to look forward to.

I would emphasize the latter, and forget about the former. In illustrating the former for us, when you post pictures of how sweet your home is, it appears like personal bragging. And if you believe your message to be important, you don't want to turn people off like that.

And a note to all of you kids out there: living a sober and clean lifestyle is better for your health, but unless you make healthy choices in your eating habits and get regular exercise as well, you might as well smoke a pack a day.

Living a clean and sober lifestyle in no way guarantees or even makes it more likely that you will live in a fly apartment like Mr. Darklord. Although you will save a ton of sweet moolah if you do not purchase narcotics.

And one other thing, kids. If you choose to live sober, that's great, but try not to be condescending or even judgmental to those that don't share your obsession. It tends to tee people off, and then you'll be wondering why folks aren't receptive to your gospel.

Roberto, I like your message, but we need to be honest, here. And honestly, it sounds as though your materialistic success is a function of your fastidious personality rather than absolute abstinence, although that is commendable. But virtue is its own reward, and people need to understand that.

CaptainSolo1138
02-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't agree with this. I smoke and I love beer. Don't misconstrue that and assume I'm a drinker. I enjoy beer the way some people enjoy wine, I suppose.

Here's my complaint: My house is clean. I'm a happily married college graduate with two healthy children. When I smoke, it is outside and not around them. When I drink it tends to be after they are on their way to "LaLa Land", as that's when I can finally relax.

Mrs. Solo and I love going out. With twin two-year-olds that happens hardly ever, so when we go out we make sure we maximize our fun. Whether that means a drink with dinner, several drinks and a pack of smokes at the bar or a cup of nasty coffee at the local "family restaurant" (read: greasy spoon) shouldn't matter. If you don't drink or (especially) smoke, good for you. But you have no right putting others down who do. ESPECIALLY when it is such a conditional situation.

DarthQuack
02-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I've never smoked cigarettes, I used to drink when I was in college, and even a few years after that, but at 27, I don't really drink too much at all, maybe once in a while at a family get together I'll have one or two, but that's it. When I go to my college alumni with my fraternity I usually get pretty lit, and then it doesn't take me much to get drunk since I don't drink much elsewhere.

jedi master sal
02-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I must insist that this thread be moved to the Rancor Pit.

There is way to much finger pointing, arguing and the like going on.

Again, must i reiterate that this is supposed to be a family friendly website?

This type of thread regardless of how it was first presented has spiraled far enough out of the range of acceptable talk that a young person should be reading on a SW collecting site.

Were I to have mod powers in this section it would have been moved already.

Of late, I've been seeing more and more threads pushing the envelope of acceptable behavior on the boards. yes, I'll even admit that the sneezing thread is over the top and should be moved as well. So I'm just as guilty when it comes to this.

We must remain focused on what THIS site is about. Topics of this nature should not be for the general public. It may bring upon SSG, the probing eyes of social organizations that look to destroy or at the least rake through the mud, what would otherwise be a legimate website.

JT, this is a formal request to move this thread to the Rancor Pit.

I'm am NOT directing this request because of anyone in particular who contributed to this thread. Rather the thread as a whole and what it has become.

Feel free to continue this thread but in the proper area of the forums, where we can discuss these issues without the worries of the general populace seeing them.

Sincerely,
Sal

Tycho
02-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Another thread being moved, and I had nothing to do with it! :pleased:

I have a converse theory operating here.

OK - whenever I am good and well-behaved - everyone else goes nuts.

El Chuxter is going to morph again into some old villain from the 80's live-action Batman show any day now. (don't mention purple, anyone) - and everyone else is talking about bodily functions.

Capt.Solo: Remember when I made you really mad about one comment about smoking when you posted a C-3PO / R2D2 video link? Well I didn't present a whole thesis on it. Next, this has gone on to involve forum members masquerading as Jenny Craig with the dietary and exercise thing. Say, where is Richard Simmons anyway?

Oh man. But I'm starting to think that it's like a Balance in the Force thing. If I keep acting good, everyone else is going to have a major meltdown!

This is pretty funny. I'm going to keep behaving for a while and see what happens. Perhaps JediMasterSal will surrender to his inner-Satanist next? ;)

This is too much fun. I don't have to do anything but sit back and watch everyone else go crazy! The next thing you know, RogueII will post that I'm the only guy left around here that he can talk to. :razz:

jedi master sal
02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Another thread being moved, and I had nothing to do with it! :pleased:

Perhaps JediMasterSal will surrender to his inner-Satanist next? ;)

I'm just trying to do what's right for the site. We should all be mindful of that when we post. Again, I won't be hypocritical and say I've never posted in a manner that wasn't befitting.

As to the other point....I did that LONG ago my friend....

Seriously though, I'll never claim to be a goody-two-shoes. I'm not perfect. Anyone who says they are you can readily see that they are not.

And no, I'm not a Satanist, never was, I know Tycho meant it as a joke.

Just so it's understood, I have plenty I want to say about this subject on both sides of it, but I know my response would most likely illicit a negative response from one or both sides, so I'm refraining from joining in the fray.

The comments I made above were about me and not meant towards anyone in this thread. It was merely a response to Tycho and the satanist comment.

The only food for thought I'll give on this is thus:
Some would consider collecting to be problematic, sometimes exhibiting non-conforming, or anti-social behavior. It's been shown to have destructive consequences on families.

So with that in mind, whichever side of the fence you sit on the issue of this thread, consider that we are all collectors and should not prejudge anyone else based on any of their OTHER beliefs. Have all of us not been scoffed at, at one point or another for being collectors.

This again is why I strongly urge this topic to be moved to the Rancor Pit.
hash it out then however you want to.

-Sal

Devil King
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
And I haven't been. You only see me that way because you are feeling attacked and singled-out by my opinion. But I'm sorry to inform you that you simply do NOT carry enough importance in my own life for me to focus THAT kind of attention on you.

Apparently, I do carry that much signifigance in your life, since I feel singled out because I'm the only one you're attacking, specifically.

Let me be clear about one thing: This is NOT about me boasting over myself. Judging by the number of VERY nice PMs that I've received since I started this topic, quite a few (soberly-minded) folks here understand that.

I never said it was about you boasting over yourself. I said you were boasting over yourself. Unless you are willing to publically address those private messages, then you can not use claims of them in a public manner.

Frankly, I'm really NOT surprised that the main thrust of my point escapes YOU.

Why, because you continue to assume too much? I'm not high, nor have I been.

No, this is NOT about me boasting over myself. But what it IS about is how sick to my stomach I've always been listening to the IDIOTIC rhetoric and BS excuses of stoners defending and justifying their juvenile behavior.

I don't care if it makes you sick to your stomach. The whole world isn't idiotic because you've decided not to smoke pot. I'm not defending behavior, because no behavior I've displayed while smoking pot requires defending. Once again, you make broad assumptions based on narrow-minded opinions.

I'm tired of how young people all over this country are being conned and bullied into thinking that using narcotics is somehow "cool", or that they'll "fit in" with a group of stoned LOSERS who eventually will be going nowhere in life anyway.

According to your statements, I am such a stoned loser. However, I've managed to finish my education and aquire a good job and sustain it, despite my recreational use of marijuana and alcohol. If that's not somewhere, I'd hate to see the nowhere you address. And I'm not saying that drugs and alcohol don't effect people in this way. But what you fail to understand is that your much-exhalted self-control can be exercised even if you do smoke a joint from time to time. That's why it doesn't become a problem for many people. That's why it is a social activity and not a habit. If you are affraid of getting hooked on it, then I can understand why you don't participate. But those are your issues, not mine, and not everyone elses.

With all the young, impressionable people reading these threads, I just felt that it was high about time that someone stood up and declared how "cool" SOBRIETY is. I wanted to say LOUD AND CLEAR that stability, self-dicipline, and self respect, can be the biggest "high" there is... and unlike POT, it's GREAT for you!

Well, thank you Mr. Rogers. You've done your bit for being part of that village it takes to raise that child. I would put forward the suggestion that you next open a thread addressing the fact that most kids sit around a play video games, becoming fat and diabetic, and probally won't have the chance to make those friends that will lead them down a life-long path of drug induced self-destruction.

I wanted to show that the rewards of leading a clean and sober lifestyle are greater than stoners and addicts can possibly imagine. I wanted young people reading this to know that through sobriety, they could certainly look forward to a harmonious comfortable material life, but most importantly, they could also have the promise of supreme health of body, mind, and spirit to look forward to.

No, what you wanted to do was play the enlightened marytr by espousing the rewards you've reaped from not having a drink or smoking a joint, while totally ignoring the fact that others, myself included, have reaped similar rewards despite having had a few drinks while we're out with friends. Buddha called, he wants his tree back.

In a world full of media images of colorful, exciting people doing and selling drugs and alcohol, I wanted to say that an even GREATER success, power, and PRIDE was more than possible through sobriety.

No, you want people to realize how much you think of yourself. It must be awefully lonely up on that pedestal. How do you get tips from your lounge singing and entertaining career, if you have so much disdain for the people to whom you're playing? In fact, it seems to me that you make your living entertaining the very dregs of society you so despise.

I'm sick to death of seeing prominent, arrogant, violent, murdering, vile, stoner figures in the media like, say, Tony Montana from the film Scarface somehow being hailed as some sort of hero by the very young people who will become this county's future! When the hell did THIS nonsense begin?

You mean the types of people we see on MTV Cribs, showing us around their personal theater and 90 million dollar house, who've made a ton of money off singing songs about being gangstas? You seem to have me and most of the world confused. You actually come off as sounding a little self-loathing and resentful of their success, despite their drug use.

Frankly, Devil King, my thread was NOT intended for someone like YOU.

Then you should not have brought me into it. I had no intentins of addressing your mindless rhetoric. You quoted my post from another thread...likely putting it in this forum because you've never seen me post in the Rancor Pit.

It was, instead targeted at some young kid who may be experiencing the peer pressure to "... smoke a little weed or take a litttle drink...", when their inner voice tells them that they really don't want to. My message was written primarily for those young people who might NEED to hear and see that sobriety is COOL.

And you're the only one who seems to think that anyone here is calling for kids to smoke weed or take a drink. No one has said that. What I have said, is that I have accomplished something in life despite my descision to do so. I've never pushed pot or alcohol on anyone. In fact, my only comments along those lines were that I don't understand why people drink non-alcoholic beer, and praised you for not doing so, because it makes no sense.

As offended as YOU may be to hear me use terms like "stoner" and "loser" to describe narcotics users, just imagine how offended (and confused) a young impressionable kid might be to hear his "peers" call him a "square", a "sissy" or a "f@ggot" for NOT using narcotics. THAT happens EVERY DAMMED DAY!!!! It happened to me as a kid... and THAT's what's truly offensive!!

I'm not offended by the use of the terms, as long as the person throwing it around is bright enough not to apply them to people, out of hand. This is what you are doing. You're calling everyone who smokes the occasional joint or has a few drinks, "stoners" and "losers". This is factually incorrect. I have been called a f@ggot, and it was never because I refused to have a drink.

So YES, I'm very proud of the fact that even as a kid, I had the presence of mind and self-respect to tell those peer-pressuring @$$holes to go screw themselves. And I now encourge young people everywhere to stand up, be strong, and do the same!!!

And through your own unwillingness, you are making the asinine assumption that everyone else is calling for them to descend into a life of hardcore drug abuse.

Now THAT'S the biggest, slimiest load of smelly CRAP that I've read in ALL the responses to this topic yet.

I have no frame of reference? What about my eyes, my ears, my life experience? What about ten years working in law-enforcement and seeing narcotics destroy one family after another, smart guy?

Well, you may call it whatever you like, but it's the truth. If you've never been drunk or high, then you have no idea what effects it has on the individual, other than what you've heard from anti-drug propoganda. What you've seen is a room full of people who can't excercise that self-control, while they're stumbling up to your tip jar and paying your rent. So, again, you seem to hate drunks, but have no issue taking advantage of their mindset...which you also do not respect.

Perhaps it is in YOUR nature to need to "...experience.." something first to have a frame of reference. But it is NOT my nature. Like I said in an earlier post, I do NOT need to "expereince" an ANVIL to falling on my foot to know that the pain will be excruciating. That's just a little thing known as COMMON SENSE... something that seems to escape most stoners.

Common sense isn't all that common, and apparently logic isn't either.

I've lived long enough, and sober enough to see the horrible destruction that even occasional narcotics use can cause.

No you haven't. I'd ask you to share an example of someone whose life was ruined because they got together with their friends and smoked a joint, but I'm affraid you'll just make something up. Doing it everyday, that's a different story.

During my stint as a linguist for the FBI, and even now as a night club / lounge performer in NYC, I see it EVERY NIGHT with people passing out, vomiting, fights breaking out, intoxicated killings, marital infidelities brought about by intoxication... you name it. People are a friggin' MESS out there.

From FBI miracle worker to a NYC lounge act. Huh.

Those are all bad things, maybe you should get a gig in a more respectable neighbourhood. Other than the vomiting and passing out, I don't see anything there that can't be cause by everyday, sober, human interaction.

Everyone's looking for some cosmic "truth" from their priests, their shrink, their smart friend, the local bartender... whatever. But the "truth" that eludes everyone is really quite simple: Take good care of your life and it will take good care of you. Respect your mind, body, and spirit, and (barring any unfortunate accidents) they will serve you VERY WELL for a very long time. Maintain discipline, dignity, self-control, and self-respect in your life, and you'll NEVER have to take any CRAP from anybody!

and then you get hit by a car crossing the street.

No, smart guy. I NEVER said that. Put down the joint... just for a minute... so that you can clear your head a bit and understand what it is that I'm saying
You mean every horror story you've implied with certainty or every broad assumption you've posted in the last 2 days? Now, where would I ever have gotten that impression?

Using YOUR own analogy, what I said was that virtually EVERYONE who has ever woken up in the morning to re-live an (unpleasent but all-too-common) scene out of an "... anti-drug commercial..." did so because they lost control while (foolishly) getting stoned on alchohol, weed, or whatever mind-numbing substance they preferred. My point was that the "anti-drug commercial scene" which you describe is virtually IMPOSSIBLE in the life of a sober person.

That's crap. I'm not saying people don't do stupid things while they're drinking, I've seen them too. What I am saying is that you're speaking for everyone in the world, despite your claim that you have never been drunk. And I can promise you, I've spent more time in my life apologizing for things I've done when I was sober, than I have for things I've said when I was drunk.

This is VERY different from saying that "Every weed or alcohol user eventually ends up in a scene out of an anti-drug ad." It's a ridiculous thing to say, and I don't even feel that way.

If you don't feel that way, then you shouldn't say you do. It is ridiculous.

Well I'd rather talk out of my ***, than have the CRAP that should be coming out of it coming out of my MOUTH instead... like it is with YOU!

I calls 'em as I sees 'em. Touch a nerve there?

Frankly, your display of stoner hostilty is very typical... boringly common, even... without a shred of logic, merit, or maturity.

If it's so boring, your profound wisdom should tell you to spend your time doing something else. (Also, if you're going to address my posts, I'd appreciate it if you addressed them in their entirety. Picking them apart to fit in with your agenda isn't really responding)

No, what's asinine is to use alcohol for the express purpose of getting drunk (as SO many people do every day), and to expect not to be thought of as a drunk.

Oh no, it's asinine to call everyone who has a few drinks out with friends, a drunk. Thats very, very asinine.

THAT'S the type of person I'm referring to. I'm NOT talking about someone who has a glass of wine with their meal, or a glass of champange to celebrate a happy occasion, or even a beer to unwind a bit after work. And it only took you 2 days to get around to what your point isn't.

What's also asinine is YOU disliking your sober self so much that you actually prefer yourself a bit stoned... mellow... or whatever the hell you want to call it, and then getting offended at the thought of being called a "stoner".

That's rich!

Oh no, I have no problem with my "soberself". "I only drink to make you more interesting", I believe, is the phrase. God knows, if you act like this, the people coming to your lounge act would have to be 10 sheets to the wind.

Wrong again, dude. Dressing like a gentlemen, and running my own business is NOT a measure of the success in my life because I'm sober.

Then don't claim it is.

Those things are only some pleasant by-products of all my years of hard work, self-discipline and yes, sobriety COMBINED.

So, what exactly ARE the by-products of your arrogantly sober life? Because in my short time dealing with you, you've claimed employment at the FBI; you've rarely spoken up when people give you credit for building that Jawa Sandcrawler; you're a lounge singer; your're a teacher and you own your own business.

But I measure the true success in my life by my physical, emotional, and spiritual health, and by the same for my wife, family, and friends. I measure it by my strong, happy marraige, and the blissful environment that we've created in our home. I measure it by the good friends that I have, and the intelligent, articulate, pleasant way which we are able to enjoy each other's company.

Good for you, I do pretty much the same. And I'm happy with my life and the occasional drinks when I'm out with my friends.

I also measure my success by the number of people who's lives I've made a positive difference in.

I'm sorry, but you have made no such impact on mine.

I'm very proud of the fact that through my involvment with the bureau, I spent 10 years helping to lock up murderers, rapists, violent gang members, extortionists, and oh YES... drug dealers who poison their own community and other people's children like the selfish cowards they truly are.

I was proud last year to be a teacher of DECENT values to young children. I was honored to be an early catalyst in their young minds to strive for greater and greater things in their lives, and not the commoness of narcotics use. My students all thought that I was SO COOL partially because I was so anti-substance abuse. Kids WANT adults to tell them and show them that it's COOL to stay sober. My own students expressed this to me ALL THE TIME. That, my friend, was one of the greatest "highs" there is.

Nope, no ego-stroking or boasting in your posts.

So, what's the tally up to now? Teacher, FBI Agent, Lounge Singer, Business Owner. What's next?

Oh I would never dream of doing anything as foolish, wasteful, and futile as trying to change YOUR mind. You attribute far more time and patience to me than I have to give, I'm afraid.

That's a relief. For a minute there, I thought you were going to start preaching at me. You aren't a minister too, are you?

DARKLORD_67
02-11-2008, 05:17 PM
In illustrating the former for us, when you post pictures of how sweet your home is, it appears like personal bragging. And if you believe your message to be important, you don't want to turn people off like that.

I can understand what you're saying, Jon, and believe it or not, I wholeheartedly AGREE with you. Apparent bragging IS a turn-off. However I can only truthfully attest to what was genuinely in my heart, and it was NOT boasting. Of that, I can assure you.

The thing is, in the end, people will take from my message exactly what they bring into it.

Yes, there will be those that read what I have to say, and understand that I am NOT bragging, but that I am instead illustrating a counter-point to a commonly-held belief.

If any young person sees SOBER ol' ME living in what they consider to be a "... fly apartment...", then they might just come to realize that stoner, pusher, murderer Tony Montana is NOT the ony one who can live elegantly in this world. Decent, hard-working, SOBER people can and often DO live this way as well.

Of course, there will be others of cynical heart that feel only envy and jealousy upon viewing photos of any condition that they covet but do NOT possess. I expereinced similar nonsense when I posted photos of my STAR WARS toy collection on some other web sites.!

However, the latter part of my message (Re: Sobriety bringing the promise of supreme health of body, mind, and spirit) is MOST CERTAINLY the more valuable and important one. It's why I chose to emphasise it last.

An elegant, comfortable, tranquil style of living IS a much easier thing to illustrate with photos than the far more important "... health of body, mind, and spirit..."

Living a clean and sober lifestyle in no way guarantees or even makes it more likely that you will live in a fly apartment like Mr. Darklord. Although you will save a ton of sweet moolah if you do not purchase narcotics.

No, living a clean sober lifestyle in NO WAY guarantees living in a nice home. However, staying sober DOES help you make better and smarter life decisions, which in turn pave the way to greater self respect, self-esteem, and pride, all of which eventually lead to growing ambition. It is THIS powerful combination that eventually makes a comfortable, elegant home more likely

Roberto, I like your message...

Thank you.

...but we need to be honest, here. And honestly, it sounds as though your materialistic success is a function of your fastidious personality rather than absolute abstinence, although that is commendable. But virtue is its own reward, and people need to understand that.

As I mentioned before, I suspect that this may have more to do with the far greater ease of being able to illustrate a neat aprtment in photos versus demonstrating the more important "... healthy mind..."

2-1B
02-11-2008, 06:00 PM
That is the ONE thing I am prejudiced against. Caesar, I take back my affections and can never speak to you again! :mad:

Chi Min Daka Caesar, CHI MIN DAKA!

;)

Your point is fair, Honey, but don't you first wanna know the slot I'm gonna put those coins in ? ;)

plasticfetish
02-11-2008, 06:41 PM
I must insist that this thread be moved to the Rancor Pit.I'd move this thread myself, but I can't find the "preachy, boring as sin, long scrolling posts about being a teetotaler" section of the Rancor Pit. :confused:

I'm gonna go have a pint of Guinness, and then decide what to do. (Nice bathroom DARKLORD_67. Thanks for sharing pics of your towel rack with us.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Damn, I need a drink after reading this thread.

Kidhuman
02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I dont think there is need to move the thread as of now. I am participating in it and monitoring it very closely.

Old Fossil
02-11-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm gonna go have a pint of Guinness, and then decide what to do.

Can I come along? I'll buy.:thumbsup:

DarthBrandon
02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Damn, I need a drink after reading this thread.

I don't need one right now, but this thread could drive me to drink.:D

plasticfetish
02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I dont think there is need to move the thread as of now.(I agree.)

Damn, I need a drink after reading this thread.Think I'm gonna need to check your I.D. first there Jr. ;)

DARKLORD_67
02-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Apparently, I do carry that much signifigance in your life, since I feel singled out because I'm the only one you're attacking, specifically.

DK, this is silly. I'm NOT attacking you. Go back and look through the archives of this thread. I expressed my opinion. YOU "...took acception..." to it, even though it was NOT aimed directly at you. When I tried to explain that I was NOT singling you out, you chose to call me names and say that I was "...talking out of my @$$..."

I never said it was about you boasting over yourself. I said you were boasting over yourself. Unless you are willing to publically address those private messages, then you can not use claims of them in a public manner.

Is that a "rule" which You have established that I do not know about? I really have nothing to prove to you or anyone about the specific individuals who have privately supported my viewpoint in this matter or to reveal their private words of encouragement.

I don't care if it makes you sick to your stomach. The whole world isn't idiotic because you've decided not to smoke pot. I'm not defending behavior, because no behavior I've displayed while smoking pot requires defending. Once again, you make broad assumptions based on narrow-minded opinions.

Alright, man. You got it.

According to your statements, I am such a stoned loser. However, I've managed to finish my education and aquire a good job and sustain it, despite my recreational use of marijuana and alcohol. If that's not somewhere, I'd hate to see the nowhere you address. And I'm not saying that drugs and alcohol don't effect people in this way. But what you fail to understand is that your much-exhalted self-control can be exercised even if you do smoke a joint from time to time. That's why it doesn't become a problem for many people. That's why it is a social activity and not a habit. If you are affraid of getting hooked on it, then I can understand why you don't participate. But those are your issues, not mine, and not everyone elses.

And once again you have taken a generally stated opinion of mine, applied it to yourself, and accused ME of labeling YOU directly. Show me where I ever wrote "YOU, Devil King, are a Loooooooser!!" It didn't happen. You only inferred it from my forcefully stated opinion.

Well, thank you Mr. Rogers. You've done your bit for being part of that village it takes to raise that child. I would put forward the suggestion that you next open a thread addressing the fact that most kids sit around a play video games, becoming fat and diabetic, and probally won't have the chance to make those friends that will lead them down a life-long path of drug induced self-destruction.

That's a separate issue, but a fine point nonetheless.

No, what you wanted to do was play the enlightened marytr by espousing the rewards you've reaped from not having a drink or smoking a joint, while totally ignoring the fact that others, myself included, have reaped similar rewards despite having had a few drinks while we're out with friends. Buddha called, he wants his tree back.

Sigh... Alright, let me try this one last time:

I didn't play "martyr", because NOT using narcotics was not a "heroic sacrifice" for me. It was an obvious choice. Its true that I worked hard, and even stuggled to achieve what little I have in life. But I wouldn't say that I suffered. So no, I don't consider myself a "martyr".

I don't doubt that YOU, DK, have achieved a respectable level of success in your own life. And I even congratulate you for it. I really do.

But if you read my earlier posts again you'll see that I made the (admittedly brief) observation that there are exceptions to everything... even the idea that "stoners" are "losers" who will go nowhere in life.

You want me to say it? Fine. I would be a fool NOT to acknowledge that there ARE social narcotics users who lead productive lives. That is why I acknowledged it before.

I am simply of the opinion (when looking at extreme situations of substance addiction) that most (if not all) of the hard addicts you'll ever see began as "occasional, social users".

If YOU are the occasional social narcotics user that you say you are, and you still manage to successfully balance all of your life's responsibilities, then more power to you, dude. I really do congratulate you. It's NOT what I would choose for MY life, but God-bless, and enjoy. It is my sincere hope that it never gets the best of you. That's all.

No, you want people to realize how much you think of yourself. It must be awefully lonely up on that pedestal. How do you get tips from your lounge singing and entertaining career, if you have so much disdain for the people to whom you're playing? In fact, it seems to me that you make your living entertaining the very dregs of society you so despise.

Well, I am proud of what I've accomplished in life. And I am proud of living narcotics free. I've never made any secret of the fact that my self-pride, self-dignity, and self-respect are qualities I posses. However that really was NOT that main thrust of my thread. I can understand how you might see it that way, but that honestly was NOT my frame of mind during the drafting of my posts. I sit on no pedestal.

In fact, you may be surprised to learn, that I am generally a personality type that mostly focuses on repairing what I consider to be the "flaws" in my own life.

You mean the types of people we see on MTV Cribs, showing us around their personal theater and 90 million dollar house, who've made a ton of money off singing songs about being gangstas? You seem to have me and most of the world confused. You actually come off as sounding a little self-loathing and resentful of their success, despite their drug use.

Well, admittedly, I DO resent "gangstas" building material comfort and success for themselves off the backs of their victims, and the glorification of their vulgar and destructive lifestyle in their music. In my view, the combined narcotics and gang lifestyles (drive-by shootings, cop killings, disrespecting women) are most certanly vulgar. As for my being self-loathing, you kinda lost me there...

Then you should not have brought me into it. I had no intentins of addressing your mindless rhetoric. You quoted my post from another thread...likely putting it in this forum because you've never seen me post in the Rancor Pit.

You brought yourself into it, DK, by assuming that the opinions I wrote applied to YOU directly. They did not. I was speaking more in general terms, even going so far as to say "I am not attacking anyone here in particular"

You responded by saying that you "took acception", and as they say at the races, we were off...

Also I took your comment from that other thread and brought it over here, because i made it clear that I did NOT want to HIJACK that other thread any further with this conversation. But I did want to address your concerns as you stated them in that first "rebuttal".

And you're the only one who seems to think that anyone here is calling for kids to smoke weed or take a drink

See, this is what I mean, DK. I never, ever said that! The "peer pressure" that I have been referring to is from hypothetical young people applying it to the lives of other hypothetical young people.

I have never accused ANYONE on this or any other board of calling on kids to get high.

No one has said that. What I have said, is that I have accomplished something in life despite my descision to do so.

Yes you have. Well done. (no sarcasm)

I've never pushed pot or alcohol on anyone. In fact, my only comments along those lines were that I don't understand why people drink non-alcoholic beer, and praised you for not doing so, because it makes no sense.

And I never accused you of pushing anything on anyone.

I'm not offended by the use of the terms, as long as the person throwing it around is bright enough not to apply them to people, out of hand. This is what you are doing. You're calling everyone who smokes the occasional joint or has a few drinks, "stoners" and "losers". This is factually incorrect. I have been called a f@ggot, and it was never because I refused to have a drink.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. You just don't seem to acknowledge that I am referring to folks who lose control of themselves.

Clearly, our definitions of that differ.

In the case of the "social use" of marijuana, that substance has one purpose ONLY... that is to make you high. In my view, even "moderate" use produces that effect... otherwise why use it at all?

In the case of alchohol, I can only repeat what I said in an earlier post. I define a "drunk" as someone who drinks for the express purpose of... getting hammered, plastered, bombed, $hit-faced. This definition (in my view) does NOT include folks who have a little wine with their dinner, a celebratory glass of champagne, or even a beer or two after work to unwind. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that.

Well, you may call it whatever you like, but it's the truth. If you've never been drunk or high, then you have no idea what effects it has on the individual, other than what you've heard from anti-drug propoganda.

No, forget the anti-drug propoganda nonsense. I have EVERY idea what that stuff does to the individual because I've seen its effects in others up close, and its a clear enough reference for me. I'm afraid that on this point, we'll have to agree to disagree.

What you've seen is a room full of people who can't excercise that self-control, while they're stumbling up to your tip jar and paying your rent. So, again, you seem to hate drunks, but have no issue taking advantage of their mindset...which you also do not respect.

Here, you speak from total ignorance, and build your comment on a flimsy foundation of supposition:

1) I perform to a generally sober and appreciative audience of elegant diners. Most of my negative experiences with stoners and drunks have NOT happened while I've been performing. They have instead happened mostly during my years working in law-enforcement.

2) When I perform at the two weekly venues that I appear in, I am paid a flat nightly salary. I do not have a tip jar.

3) I don't pay rent on the apartment that my wife and I reside in. The property is a 9-family dwelling that we OWN. I pay a mortgage. Our tenants pay US a monthly rent.

4) Since I am not performing to an audience of drunks or stoners (whom I admittedly do not care for) there is no "mindset" for me to hypocritically "take advantage of".

No you haven't. I'd ask you to share an example of someone whose life was ruined because they got together with their friends and smoked a joint, but I'm affraid you'll just make something up. Doing it everyday, that's a different story.

You're right. I admit it. I have no such story... not regarding a single joint. However, regarding everyday abusers, my years in the bureau provided me with stories to last forever.

From FBI miracle worker to a NYC lounge act. Huh.

Actually, For the last 4 years that I was working in law-enforcement and (wanted to get out), I started my entertainment business. I did both simultaneously during that time.

I wouldn't exactly call myself an FBI "miracle worker", but as a wiretap linguist, I got the job done. The bureau still calls me occasionally to come and work new cases, but I want no part of that life anymore. It's quite taxing emotionally.

I finally left the Bureau in 2005 and focused on my entertainment business.
In 2006, I took a one year stint as an elementary school (music / voice) teacher by day, and continued to perform as a singer by night.

In late 2006 I finally landed a talent agent for a side "hobby" that I was toying with... voice-over performing. After spending a year going on 2-3 auditions a week, I began booking regular gigs (radio and TV commercial spots, promos, "scratch tracks" for video game character developers, and even one cartoon series that I'm performing in now).

Those are all bad things, maybe you should get a gig in a more respectable neighbourhood.

Actually, the two singing gigs I have are in VERY upscale neighborhoods.

and then you get hit by a car crossing the street.

??????

I'm not saying people don't do stupid things while they're drinking, I've seen them too. What I am saying is that you're speaking for everyone in the world, despite your claim that you have never been drunk. And I can promise you, I've spent more time in my life apologizing for things I've done when I was sober, than I have for things I've said when I was drunk.

Fair enough.

If you don't feel that way, then you shouldn't say you do. It is ridiculous.

But I didn't say it. That's the point. Once again, what I merely said was that every scene out of an anti-drug ad, could only feature the behaviour of a weed or alcohol (or whatever other substance) abuser. I contrasted THAT by saying said that certainy a SOBER person would never find themselves in those scenarios.

If it's so boring, your profound wisdom should tell you to spend your time doing something else.

Well. You got me there. You're absolutely right.

God knows, if you act like this, the people coming to your lounge act would have to be 10 sheets to the wind.

I admittedly am forceful in the way I express my opinion. And you ARE right to point out that I would NOT be very successful in my performing business if I maintained that type of demeanor during my shows. In the end, I am actually very pleasent to my audience, if I do say so myself. And honestly, THEY make it easy for me as the classy, attentive group they always tend to be.

So, what exactly ARE the by-products of your arrogantly sober life? Because in my short time dealing with you, you've claimed employment at the FBI; you've rarely spoken up when people give you credit for building that Jawa Sandcrawler; you're a lounge singer; your're a teacher and you own your own business.

1) My employment at the Bureau should now be considered "former" since I have not worked a Title III Wire-tap interception since summer 2006.

2) As far as I know, I'v always responded to people's comments about my Sandcrawler. If I neglected to respond to anyone, I certainly apologize. That is not my style. But I also believe I've been very careful to point out that I DID NOT BUILD the Jawa machine. I had it commissioned for my collection by a taleneted South American customizer. But it is NOT one of the custom STAR WARS toys that I have personlly created (so far those are limited to action figures)

3) The business that I own is a cabaret / karaoke entertainment business. My two weekly gigs as a singer actually fall under this category. We have two other professional singers in our employ, and I persoanlly "rotate" acts with them at our two venues.

4) As mentioned previously, I can no longer claim to be a teacher since I only did it for the 2007 school year. While guiding the kids through music instruction WAS personally rewarding, the demand on my more lucrative singing performance schedule made it impossible to continue.

Good for you, I do pretty much the same. And I'm happy with my life and the occasional drinks when I'm out with my friends.

I'm honestly glad that this is your situation. We may disagree. And I've certainly been pig-headed, stubborn, and arrogant through some of this debate. But I wish you no ill-will, bro.

I'm sorry, but you have made no such impact on mine.

Well I am sorry about that. I wish it were otherwise.

Nope, no ego-stroking or boasting in your posts.

Come on, guy. That's not. fair. It's not always "ego stroking or boasting" to mention accomplishments you're proud of.

So, what's the tally up to now? Teacher, FBI Agent, Lounge Singer, Business Owner. What's next?

Well... I guess you forgot "husband", "landlord" "voice-over actor" and my personal favorite, "STAR WARS Toy Collector Extraordinaire"!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That's a relief. For a minute there, I thought you were going to start preaching at me. You aren't a minister too, are you?

Nope. Just an over-enthusiastic, long-winded poster who sometimes lets his temper get the best of him, and allows himself to carlessly slip into being an @sshole.

I'll tell you this: You're one tough debatin' sum'bi+ch! And a hell of an opponent! Nice job!

"Don't take any $hit from anybody!!!" - Billy Joel, Yankee Stadium 1991.

DARKLORD_67
02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
(Nice bathroom DARKLORD_67. Thanks for sharing pics of your towel rack with us.)

Ummm... You're welcome. I think?

plasticfetish
02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I think?I was teasing/kidding around... but your place does look very nice. :)

DARKLORD_67
02-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I was teasing/kidding around... but your place does look very nice. :)

Thanks good, buddy.

But YOU were right about my posts being dull and long as the friggin' Mississippi. I'm NOT done with this topic, by any means. But my future threads WILL be a billion times shorter, less angry, and more respectful.

I got the crap out of my system.

Devil King
02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
You brought yourself into it, DK

If you go back to the 2nd page of this thread, you'll see a post of yours that quotes me. However, if you review the pages before it, you'll find no posts made by me. You quoted me from another thread and brought me into this one.

Fine, we'll agree to disagree. I will go on smoking my occasional joint and consuming my drinks on a socal level, and you can go on doing whatever it is you do these days.

You wouldn't happen to be on MSN, would you?

Tycho
02-11-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm on MDF! :crazed:

(Mouse Droid Fumes)

Kidhuman
02-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm on MDF! :crazed:

(Mouse Droid Fumes)

Tycho, you need to smell the Doctor Who figures. Holy cow, they are potent.

El Chuxter
02-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Tycho, I read somewhere else on this forum that you took too much off and then a peg wouldn't fit in the hole in your back. Can you explain this?

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Normally, I just marvel that someone, at some point, decided to put leaves in their mouths and light them on fire.

I like that description. I also often say "I have no desire to stick something in my mouth and set it on fire." I used to go into AOL chatrooms a lot and people would often be in there talking about smoking pot. If I said something like that above quote, they would sometimes get defensive. I hadn't said anything about them. They'd also say things like, "don't knock it until you try it." Well, I don't need to try it. There are two possibilities if I try it: I'll like it, or I won't like it. If I don't like it, then I probably won't try it again, but that is where I was before I tried it, plus I had to endure something unpleasant. If I like it, then I might like it too much and end up hooked on it. That would be bad.

I've never smoked or taken drugs. I don't drink very often and not much when I do. My sophomore year of college, I got stuck three freshmen roommates. At one point, one of them ended up puking all over the bathroom floor. I got tired of having to live with the possibility of that sort of thing happening all the time. I moved out at the end of the first quarter and was lucky enough to end up with a roommate who was a fellow math major, sports fan, and Star Wars fan. He didn't smoke and he drank no more than I did. He did a pretty good job of keeping things tidy just like Roberto here. I'm more of a pack rat.

I guess I was always frustrated in college because it seemed like everyone had to have a drink to have a good time. It's still a bit that way today. I go on business trips with some coworkers and there are always a bunch that will have to go hang out at the bar till late. Recently, there was a letter in the Ask Amy advice column in the paper where the groom's mother was complaining that they couple had decided not to serve alcohol. The bride was Mormon and the groom had converted. The mother said, "Although my husband and I don't drink, I can't imagine having people come to a wedding -- many at a good deal of trouble and expense -- and not be allowed to drink if they want to." Why? Are these people not going to have a good time without alcohol? Do they only care about the booze and not the fact that they are there to see this special event? At least Amy gave a decent answer:

"You seem to think that alcohol is an integral part of celebrating a wedding (I, on the other hand, would probably miss the after-cake coffee more than the wine). You and your guests must respect the beliefs and practices of the bride and groom -- even if you don't adhere to them yourselves. It seems that for your son and his fiancee, their wedding ceremony is an important expression of their faith -- not an excuse for a party at which guests can tie one on."

Kidhuman
02-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Most of my companies Christmas parties I have gone to do not serve alcohol. Get your drunk on before showing up, thats what we did.

DARKLORD_67
02-12-2008, 09:46 AM
If you go back to the 2nd page of this thread, you'll see a post of yours that quotes me. However, if you review the pages before it, you'll find no posts made by me. You quoted me from another thread and brought me into this one.

Yes, as I explained (in my incredibly long post above), I brought your post over from the "Post your Picture" thread because I did not want to HIJACK that thread anymore with this topic, however I wanted to respond to what you said, and give this topic its OWN thread.

I basically brought your post ("I take acception...") over here to clarify that I was NOT attacking you personally, and to further expound upon my general viewpoint on this matter.

Fine, we'll agree to disagree. I will go on smoking my occasional joint and consuming my drinks on a socal level, and you can go on doing whatever it is you do these days.

That sounds fair enough.

You wouldn't happen to be on MSN, would you?

Well I assume you're referring to instant chat. If you are, unfortunately I am not on MSN.

DARKLORD_67
02-12-2008, 11:09 AM
I like that description. I also often say "I have no desire to stick something in my mouth and set it on fire." I used to go into AOL chatrooms a lot and people would often be in there talking about smoking pot. If I said something like that above quote, they would sometimes get defensive. I hadn't said anything about them. They'd also say things like, "don't knock it until you try it." Well, I don't need to try it. There are two possibilities if I try it: I'll like it, or I won't like it. If I don't like it, then I probably won't try it again, but that is where I was before I tried it, plus I had to endure something unpleasant. If I like it, then I might like it too much and end up hooked on it. That would be bad.

I've never smoked or taken drugs. I don't drink very often and not much when I do. My sophomore year of college, I got stuck three freshmen roommates. At one point, one of them ended up puking all over the bathroom floor. I got tired of having to live with the possibility of that sort of thing happening all the time. I moved out at the end of the first quarter and was lucky enough to end up with a roommate who was a fellow math major, sports fan, and Star Wars fan. He didn't smoke and he drank no more than I did. He did a pretty good job of keeping things tidy just like Roberto here. I'm more of a pack rat.

I guess I was always frustrated in college because it seemed like everyone had to have a drink to have a good time. It's still a bit that way today. I go on business trips with some coworkers and there are always a bunch that will have to go hang out at the bar till late. Recently, there was a letter in the Ask Amy advice column in the paper where the groom's mother was complaining that they couple had decided not to serve alcohol. The bride was Mormon and the groom had converted. The mother said, "Although my husband and I don't drink, I can't imagine having people come to a wedding -- many at a good deal of trouble and expense -- and not be allowed to drink if they want to." Why? Are these people not going to have a good time without alcohol? Do they only care about the booze and not the fact that they are there to see this special event? At least Amy gave a decent answer:

"You seem to think that alcohol is an integral part of celebrating a wedding (I, on the other hand, would probably miss the after-cake coffee more than the wine). You and your guests must respect the beliefs and practices of the bride and groom -- even if you don't adhere to them yourselves. It seems that for your son and his fiancee, their wedding ceremony is an important expression of their faith -- not an excuse for a party at which guests can tie one on."

VERY well written post. And it sums up beautifully some of what I've been saying.

It just seems as though some narcotics users are very touchy about hearing about us "tea-tottlers" (I actually LOVE that expression:D) who do not "partake" and are proud to be clean and sober. When we express the obviously destructive reasons for our decisions not to partake in narcotics, we get horrendous amounts of social ridicule.

Non-narcotics users, try the following experiment one day (if you haven't already):

At the next casual social function that you attend, someone may offer to buy you "a drink". When they do, ask for your drink of choice (cranberry / orange juice, Coke, Ginger Ale, whatever). 9 out of 10 times, that person will insist that you get yourself a "real drink"... as if what you are asking for is NOT.

Now when, this person, insists (and they will), shrug your shoulders and casually say the words, "I don't drink any alcohol."

Now stand back and enjoy the look of bemusement on the person's face as though YOU were some kind of new species of plant-life or an alien amoeba for not being interested in tieing one on.

Or entertain yourself as you listen to them try and "figure you out". "What??? You don't drink?? Anything at all???? Why not?? Are you driving or something??? You mean... you don't even like wine???"

Invariably, what happens next (since they asked), is that you express your distaste for the very idea of getting high. Some of us are more tactful about this than others.:rolleyes:

Me... unfortunately not so much.

And of course, as you expound upon the virtues of sobriety, in their eyes (somewhat understandibly) YOU come off as a braggart or arrogant. And why not, after all YOU are in the minority in that room... and frankly, in our culture.

Of course, the friend that offered you the drink in the first place will eventually mutter something along the lines of "Don't knock it until you've tried it" and walk away.

Ultimately, THAT's the "logic" that the narcotics lifestyle seems to be based on when confronted against sobriety.

And it's a "logic" that's never held any water for me.

I mean, unless you were suicidal, would you knowingly drink a gallon of Draino Sink Drain Cleaner? Of course not! Why? Because its poison and it would kill you. Smoking and alcohol consumption only do it slower.

The point is, I think it's a pretty safe bet to "knock" the notion of drinking liquid Draino... even though I've never tried it.:rolleyes: Again... Common sense.

For me, possibly the most significant point I can make about this topic is this:

The human organism (physical, mental, spritual) is designed to THRIVE on certain things (good foods, clean water, clean air, excersise, laughter, etc.)

That organism is ALSO designed to AUTOMATICALLY REJECT things that will HARM it... even in the smallest amounts. THIS IS KEY!!

The FIRST reaction of the human organism when it takes its FIRST puff of cigarette smoke... is to COUGH VIOLENTLY, in an effort to GET RID of the newly introduced harmful agent.

The FIRST reaction of the human organism when it takes its FIRST drink of alcohol... is also to COUGH VIOLENTLY... and again for the same reason... to EXPELL the harmful chemical.

Throughout history, when people have committed suicide by, say, drinking cyanide, the human body's reaction is the same as above... violent fits of coughing, followed by vomiting, then internal hemmoraging (just like in lung cancer or ulcers), and finally death.

Jargo
02-12-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm bored now. who wants to slash the seats and burn the flags?

Kidhuman
02-12-2008, 12:51 PM
It just seems as though some narcotics users are very touchy about hearing about us "tea-tottlers" (I actually LOVE that expression:D) who do not "partake" and are proud to be clean and sober. When we express the obviously destructive reasons for our decisions not to partake in narcotics, we get horrendous amounts of social ridicule.

No, you get ridiculed for using terms like "stoner" and "loser". You dont see anyone going around saying straight edge sucks and its a wussy lifestyle. You have your way of life and others have theirs. Live and let live, do your thing and let people do theirs.

Mister Roboto
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
My whole feeling on the subject can be summarized by this:

There's trouble on the streets tonight, I can feel it in my bones
I had a premonition, that he should not go alone
I knew the gun was loaded, but I didn't think he'd kill
Everything exploded and the blood began to spill
So baby, here's your ticket, put the suitcase in your hand
Here's a little money now, do it just the way we planned
You be cool for twenty hours and I'll pay you twenty grand

I'm sorry it went down like this,
And someone had to lose,
It's the nature of the business,
It's the smuggler's blues
Smuggler's blues

The sailors and pilots, the soldiers and the law,
The pay-offs and the rip-offs, and the things nobody saw
No matter if it's heroin, cocaine, or hash,
You've got to carry weapons 'cause you always carry cash
There's lots of shady characters, lots of dirty deals
Every name's an alias in case somebody squeals
It's the lure of easy money, it's got a very strong appeal

Perhaps you'd understand it better
Standin' in my shoes
It's the ultimate enticement,
Smuggler's blues

See it in the headlines, you hear it every day
They say they're gonna stop it but it doesn't go away
They move it through Miami, sell it in L.A.
They hide it up in Telluride, I mean it's here to stay
It's propping up the governments in Columbia and Peru,
You ask any DEA man, he'll say, "There's nothin' we can do"
>From the office of the President, right down to me and you, me and you

It's a losing proposition,
But one you can't refuse
It's the politics of contraband,

DARKLORD_67
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
No, you get ridiculed for using terms like "stoner" and "loser". You dont see anyone going around saying straight edge sucks and its a wussy lifestyle.

Actually, I do. All the time, in fact.

Furthermore, the very notion of peer pressure speaks to the ridicule, and disdain that very young sober people experience every day in this country for even hesitating to use narcotics or alcohol.

It is THAT type of vile behavior, and the people who perpetuate it that I refer to when I use terms like "stoner" or "loser". And despite anything else, I think my posts made that pretty clear.

I became belligerent in my posts when I began to be called names for expressing my opinion. Prior to that, I expressed my opinion about NO PERSON in particular, and instead spoke of individuals engaging in a particular ACTIVITY.

You have your way of life and others have theirs. Live and let live, do your thing and let people do theirs.

I'm all for "live and let live". Unfortunately it's not that simple. I wish it were.

The trouble is that in a society predominantly full of people who either have experimented with or who regularly use narcotics, sobriety and the people who practice it are not allowed to just "live and let live".

Do you have any idea how many innocent (non-narcotics using) people (even children) are killed in this country every year in DWI incidents where the driver was within the "legal" limit?

Or what about all of the children who HAVE NO CHOICE but to breathe in the second-hand smoke of their mommy or daddy. In no time at all these children develop emphysima and breathing problems and eventually die.

How about all of the drug and alcohol-related rapes, murders, thefts, suicides, child molestations, child abuse, domestic (marital) abuse, animal cruelty...

Who's letting the victims of these narcotics situations "live"? Who speaks for them?

Now, before I'm attacked again, let me repeat: I AM NOT saying that every narcotics user (casual or otherwise) has engaged in these crimes.

I am only addressing the REALITY that the perpetuators of these crimes are often intoxicted on some substance, and that the "live and let live" mantra is not always so clear cut.

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
However, are they committing the crimes entirely because of drugs, or are they on drugs to try to escape from whatever serious imbalance makes them commit crimes?

CaptainSolo1138
02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Or what about all of the children who HAVE NO CHOICE but to breathe in the second-hand smoke of their mommy or daddy.They eventually learn how to crawl away.

DARKLORD_67
02-12-2008, 02:17 PM
However, are they committing the crimes entirely because of drugs, or are they on drugs to try to escape from whatever serious imbalance makes them commit crimes?

Ultimately, it's in irrelevant question... at least to me.

Let's put it this way: If someone is taking casual drugs to "...escape from a serious imbalance that makes them commit crimes...", but then they still go out, murder someone, rape someone, steal/vandalize someone else's property, etc, then it was all for naught, don't you think?

Besides which, I don't know about YOU, but I've never heard of anybody in court or in re-hab saying that they used marijuana, crack, cocaine, etc to escape from an imbalance that makes them normally commit crimes. And in my former profession, I dealt with a LOT of drug users, addicts, and peddlers. I HEARD IT ALL.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm simply saying it's unlikely.

Serious desperate addicts typically TURN to crime to cultivate their habit (Re: Stealing, muggings, murder, prostitutuion, etc). Then, in the process of using their narcotics, some of these people's behavior then becomes even more violently criminal.

That's the reality.

DARKLORD_67
02-12-2008, 02:20 PM
They eventually learn how to crawl away.

Can an abused child, or a murder victim just "...crawl away..." too?

I would think that as a parent, you might feel differently about this.

CaptainSolo1138
02-12-2008, 02:27 PM

I would think that as a parent, you might feel differently about this.Its very obviously a joke. I don't smoke around my kids nor do I let anyone smoke around my kids (within reason). This topic is becoming increasingly tedious, so rather than posting a true response that will either go unread/unreplied to or upset the already self-righteous, I've decided to make light of it since no one's opinion is going to change. I smoke and drink. You don't. Woohoo.

And rather than posting for each individual quote, you can quote the first how you normally would and then:
Their quote copy n' pasted here. Note that there should be no space between any letters or characters within the brackets nor should there be a space between the word quote and the bracket.

Its much easier.

Kidhuman
02-12-2008, 02:53 PM

A murder victim cant move. An abused victim can usually walk unless their legs are broke.

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't want to push the issue, but my point is that most people who abuse drugs are trying to escape from something: pressure, poverty, broken homes, etc. They lack the strength of will to not give in. That same weakness of will, combined with addiction, leads to other crimes. I may have been overstating it when I said "serious imbalance," but I think this is another issue where the drug use is a symptom and not the root cause, at least in many cases. If we deal with poverty, inequalities in education, domestic violence, etc, I imagine the rates of both drug use and violent crimes would both plummet. We'd be like Canada. Except we'd say "about" and they'd say "aboot."

Mister Roboto
02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't want to push the issue, but my point is that most people who abuse drugs are trying to escape from something: pressure, poverty, broken homes, etc. They lack the strength of will to not give in. That same weakness of will, combined with addiction, leads to other crimes. I may have been overstating it when I said "serious imbalance," but I think this is another issue where the drug use is a symptom and not the root cause, at least in many cases. If we deal with poverty, inequalities in education, domestic violence, etc, I imagine the rates of both drug use and violent crimes would both plummet. We'd be like Canada. Except we'd say "about" and they'd say "aboot."

Girls usually give you a similar story on why they became strippers. Exept for the "about vs. aboot" part. They would replace that with "would you like a private dance?"

CaptainSolo1138
02-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Girls usually give you a similar story on why they became strippers. Exept for the "about vs. aboot" part. They would replace that with "would you like a private dance?"Or "about vs. ninja boot".

bigbarada
02-12-2008, 03:22 PM

I tend to agree with this. While there is a strong correlation between drug use and crime, that doesn't necessarily imply a cause-effect relationship.

Does drug use make someone a criminal? Well, if you live in a country where drug use in illegal, then yes.

Does drug use make someone commit additional crimes (in addition to the crime of drug use)? Not necessarily. However, those who do commit crimes while under the influence of drugs should be prosecuted just as severely (if not more severly) than those who commit crimes while not under the influence. Drunk drivers are not pardoned for running over pedestrians or smashing into other cars, so I don't see why marijuana-users or coke-heads deserve any less.

Also the current laws have a sort of "guilty until proven guilty" bias when it comes to heavy drinkers and drunk driving. Meaning that if you're not guilty of a DUI now, then you will be soon enough so arrest can be treated as a preventative measure. Which is really stretching our rights under the Constitution; but considered necessary to protect innocent lives and to stop those who casually disregard law and order.

Again, I don't see why drugs should be looked upon any differently.

mabudonicus
02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Okay okay by request I am actually posting in this thread

I blaze a little bit pretty much every day. Not like a bunch of huge joints, just a litle pinch at a time and usually if I'm alone and just doing my thing one will be enough for the whole day.

I have these weird anxiety issues and the buds tend to make these easier to deal with for me. Since I have some kind of hyperactivity issues, they alos help me get focused enough to paint 25mm miniatures which I have been doing for almost 25 years.

The worst side effect I've had is running out and having a hell of a time getting more. I know it is in no wise "good" for me but I feel that my relatively moderate consumption is not any kind of problem- never missed (or buggered up during) a single minute of work due to pot

I want to stress at this point that I am in no wise endorsing this behaviour, but the ridiculous statements by Mr.Clean really get my goat-
:beard: Iso&Baws
stoner and loser why not go check out Rockin Deuce and get bent

Jargo
02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
what does the FBI do with a linguist? translate illicitly recorded conversations? transcribe foreign newspapers for the paranoid overlords?

Were you a cunning linguist?

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
No, you get ridiculed for using terms like "stoner" and "loser". You dont see anyone going around saying straight edge sucks and its a wussy lifestyle. You have your way of life and others have theirs. Live and let live, do your thing and let people do theirs.

Actually, I do. All the time, in fact.

Furthermore, the very notion of peer pressure speaks to the ridicule, and disdain that very young sober people experience every day in this country for even hesitating to use narcotics or alcohol.Indeed. When I would go into those chatroom (often music chatrooms), there were plenty of people who showed some sort of disdain for straight-edge. As DarkLord mentions, it's the peer pressure that often drives people to try something even when they know they shouldn't. My oldest brother said that he was once with some people that were passing a joint around and he pretended to try it just so they didn't give him a hard time. I think he might have said that he actually did try it at some point, if it wasn't that time. The thing is, he was a pretty big and strong guy who played football and wrestled, so he probably didn't have to fear getting beat up by these guys. However, it was kind of a bad crowd he was with. I think they probably tried things like mailbox baseball and other types of vandalism, and he was the one trying to talk them out of it.

Okay okay by request I am actually posting in this thread

I blaze a little bit pretty much every day. Not like a bunch of huge joints, just a litle pinch at a time and usually if I'm alone and just doing my thing one will be enough for the whole day.

I have these weird anxiety issues and the buds tend to make these easier to deal with for me. Since I have some kind of hyperactivity issues, they alos help me get focused enough to paint 25mm miniatures which I have been doing for almost 25 years.

The worst side effect I've had is running out and having a hell of a time getting more. I know it is in no wise "good" for me but I feel that my relatively moderate consumption is not any kind of problem- never missed (or buggered up during) a single minute of work due to pot

I want to stress at this point that I am in no wise endorsing this behaviour, but the ridiculous statements by Mr.Clean really get my goat-
:beard: Iso&Baws
stoner and loser why not go check out Rockin Deuce and get bent
This is why sometimes I kind of agree with the ones who wish to legalize it, at least for medicinal use. However, marijuana has been so demonized that its difficult to even get the studies done to see what effects it might have.

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I think anyone arrested for possession should get rehab, not jail. It's stupid to waste taxpayers dollars to lock people away, where they'll be around hardcore criminals for a few years and have to become just as hardcore in order to survive.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I think anyone arrested for possession should get rehab, not jail. It's stupid to waste taxpayers dollars to lock people away, where they'll be around hardcore criminals for a few years and have to become just as hardcore in order to survive.

The funny thing about that is that people who get arrested for possession usually end up doing longer time than most muderers or child abusers in most cases. The justice system can be a sad thing sometimes. Alot of the people who do go up on possession most of the time have never commited any other crimes their entire life.

CaptainSolo1138
02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I think anyone arrested for possession should get rehabI say no, no, no.

Really, that's not a bad point. I by no means think it should be legalized, but I do see the validity in the argument of pro-legalization people.

2-1B
02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Come on, I made a reference to 'Ox's vagina and nobody has a comment? :confused:
Put the bibles and joints down and enjoy the scenery. :beard:

We must remain focused on what THIS site is about. Topics of this nature should not be for the general public. It may bring upon SSG, the probing eyes of social organizations that look to destroy or at the least rake through the mud, what would otherwise be a legimate website.

If this site stays focused solely on Star Wars, I think we're in trouble. :cry:

A murder victim cant move. An abused victim can usually walk unless their legs are broke.

Or at least limp away. ;)

I want to stress at this point that I am in no wise endorsing this behaviour

Oyes you are, and as much as it pi$$es me off that you are endorsing it, I'll be damned if your attempts didn't come THIS CLOSE to having dusbsuisdeeded me. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
This whole thing about peer pressure is stupid. If someone is SOweak minded that they are a follower and not in control, then so be it. They would do something just as stupid regardless. People like that dont think for themselves and probably never will. They will never amount to a leadership position in the work field IMO. Everyone makes there own decisions in life. People choose there own path, thats one thing that Star Wars should have taught everyone in this thread. If Luke would have succumbed to peer pressure, the Emperor would still be alive and kicking.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
This whole thing about peer pressure is stupid. If someone is SOweak minded that they are a follower and not in control, then so be it. They would do something just as stupid regardless. People like that dont think for themselves and probably never will. They will never amount to a leadership position in the work field IMO. Everyone makes there own decisions in life. People choose there own path, thats one thing that Star Wars should have taught everyone in this thread. If Luke would have succumbed to peer pressure, the Emperor would still be alive and kicking.

I don't buy into peer pressure. Nobody ever stuck a gun to my head and made me drink, smoke, or put a line up my nose. You decide to do it if you want to do it. You also have to decide when it's time to give it up IMO. Back in my party days when my whole family was saying "You need to stop or you'll die!" I wasn't hearing any of it. I had to want to give all those thing up and I eventually did when I got sick of doing them. I won't judge anyone for having a vice, but don't ever say you do it just to fit in.

Kidhuman
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Back in my party days when my whole family was saying "You need to stop or you'll die!"

And if you gave into that peer pressureyou would be labeled as a quitter and quitters never win.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I don't buy into peer pressure. Nobody ever stuck a gun to my head and made me drink, smoke, or put a line up my nose. You decide to do it if you want to do it. You also have to decide when it's time to give it up IMO. Back in my party days when my whole family was saying "You need to stop or you'll die!" I wasn't hearing any of it. I had to want to give all those thing up and I eventually did when I got sick of doing them. I won't judge anyone for having a vice, but don't ever say you do it just to fit in.
I don't necessarily buy into it either. Perhaps to some degree. I just don't understand how in this day and age when kids are being told from a young age about what smoking, drinking and drugs can do, that they still choose to do it. They are either weak minded fools, or they are doing it just to be rebellious or to try to fit in. So often, young people think they know everything or feel that nothing will happen to them and don't want to listen to anything their parents or other authority figures have to say.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
And if you gave into that peer pressureyou would be labeled as a quitter and quitters never win.

Exactly. I had my fun back then. I quit when I was ready to. I don't berate people who want the occasional joint or want to have a drink or two. If I did, I'd have no friends. People choose to do the thing they want, and who am I to stop them. If I had a freind in serious trouble, yes I would take them aside and have words with them. That doesn't mean I'm going to hound them repeatedly over the subject, I'll just tell them to take a hard look at themselves. In the end, it's all about what they want. I can't make anyone do anything they refuse to.

2-1B
02-12-2008, 08:56 PM
We should legalize all hard drugs and force kids to use them, just like vegetables.

Then they will rebel and not do drugs.

Problem solved.

Devil King
02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I think anyone arrested for possession should get rehab, not jail.

Unless the person arrested is going to pay for it themselves, it's still up to the tax payers to foot the bill.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Woweee, this thread has exploded...kinda like my crack pipe when I left it on the stove a little too long! ;) Just kiddin of course, I wouldn't even know what one looked like if it exploded in my face. hehehe

How did my lala (girly bits) get into this thread Caesar, you weren't supposed to share it!

I LOVE this! lol lol lol lol lol

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Unless the person arrested is going to pay for it themselves, it's still up to the tax payers to foot the bill.

Yeah, but if you have to pay for it anyway, what's better: getting the person help, or essentially turning them into a hardened criminal and not doing much (if anything) for the drug problem?

Peer pressure is overblown. I had friends in high school and college who used various drugs. I had them offered to me. My friends would do the stereotypical peer pressure thing once or twice, then realize it didn't make any difference and give up.

If one can give in to peer pressure so easily, it proves they have the lack of will I referred to earlier already, so chances are they'll end up using drugs eventually anyway.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
We should legalize all hard drugs and force kids to use them, just like vegetables.

Then they will rebel and not do drugs.

Problem solved.I've heard stories of people who were caught smoking when they were young, so their dad made them smoke the whole pack. It was such a miserable experience that they didn't smoke again.

There used to be this ad for milk. There was a character who didn't do anything anyone told him to. So his mom would say something like, "You better not be drinking that milk. You don't wanna grow up all strong and healthy now."

I recall listening to the Cheech & Chong Up in Smoke soundtrack when I was young. That was funny stuff, but it never made me want to do it.

Slicker
02-13-2008, 02:52 AM
How did my lala (girly bits) get into this thread Caesar, you weren't supposed to share it!
Your "lala" should actually be involved in every post.

Devil King
02-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Yeah, but if you have to pay for it anyway, what's better: getting the person help, or essentially turning them into a hardened criminal and not doing much (if anything) for the drug problem?

Peer pressure is overblown. I had friends in high school and college who used various drugs. I had them offered to me. My friends would do the stereotypical peer pressure thing once or twice, then realize it didn't make any difference and give up.

If one can give in to peer pressure so easily, it proves they have the lack of will I referred to earlier already, so chances are they'll end up using drugs eventually anyway.

I don't, personally, think it's a matter for government involvment. But, since that is what so many people expect, it is. (The line between Republic and Democracy is extremely hazy in the United States)

If you are caught driving under the influence, take away those privileges...PERIOD. We liscense people to drive, so abuse of said privilege is a luxury. (although once that privilege is denied, a proportional tax break is in order. But that would require a lot of government accountability.) However, this would be much easier said than done if the public transport focus hadn't been ****-canned by the oil industry. These days, not being able to drive is practically removing a person's ability to earn a living in 99% of the country.

Tonysmo
02-14-2008, 06:05 AM
I smoke pot. Therefore I am a criminal :bandit:

and ya know..

Just like YOU Roberto..

I am Successful

Never late for anything.

I hold down an awesome friggin job.

and Ive rebuilt my house as well... It aint rocket science..

I don’t ridicule anyone who doesn’t do what I do. Nor do I pressure anyone into anything.

I am simply living my life the way I prefer to live it.

You sir. With all your bold remarks.. are what drive some people to go roll a joint…

I read your 1st post. and couldn’t read anymore.

Its nice you have such a wonderful life. Whoo Hooo for you. Know what? My life f$%^& rocks too!

But sit and listen to someone tell me how baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad I must be, and how awwwwwful my home life mustve been.. how socially inept I must be cause I caved at not being able to withhold from peer pressure..

I say pfft. You really have no clue.

I didn’t buckle.

I do what I want for me.

And I enjoy everything life has to offer.

I sir.. have everything that you have… with a nice f’n buzz to boot :thumbsup:

sry.. just the tone of the posts in here got me all rrwwaaarrrr!! ya know?

Ill go back to lurking now :)

...and after reading those semi heated exchanges between the DK and you..

yeah.. no ill will towards anyone.. but for f#$% sake. lighten up.

did you catch that? lighten up? not light up! get it? err.. Im out.

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
I sir.. have everything that you have… with a nice f’n buzz to boot :thumbsup:
You rock, 'smo. Good to "see" ya.

What you said is pretty much the argument being made by all of us on this side of it. While my vices aren't anything illegal, the sentiment is the same.

I can all but assure you that you might as have been talking to a wall with your post, though.

DARKLORD_67
02-14-2008, 11:28 AM
You rock, 'smo. Good to "see" ya.

What you said is pretty much the argument being made by all of us on this side of it. While my vices aren't anything illegal, the sentiment is the same.

I can all but assure you that you might as have been talking to a wall with your post, though.

That's not true. He wasn't talking to a wall at all. I've heard what he has to say, and I've given it fair consideration.

Based on my very early (angry-toned) posts in this thread, "...lightening up..." certainly was good advice. And I've admitted as much in my later posts in this thread.

No, the fact is, he was talking to reasoning, individual (who choses to stay sober). My cognitive abilities are quite intact. That's the point.

I am of the opinion that those of you on the other side of this issue are the ones who are "closed off" to what I have to say. So much so, that you've not acknowledged my "...there are exceptions to every "rule"..." statements.

'Smo was (by his own addmision) so closed off, that he initially could not read my posts beyond the first one. Had he done so, he might have learned that my viewpoint on this is NOT unreasonable.

HE might have learned that I'm not so self-righteous that I couldn't acknowledge my own emotions having gotten the better of me during this debate, turning ME into a bit of an @sshole.

Evidently, he eventually DID read more of my posts in this thread and discovered these things. For that, I'm grateful.

The fact is, I DON'T think that ALL narcotics / alcohol users are inept, lazy, unsuccessful, idiots who live in squaller. Furthermore, I never said any such thing.

Like I've repeatedly said before, there ARE exceptions to every rule.

The viewpoint I expressed was (and remains) that there are quite a few people who ARE inept, lazy, and unsuccessful, and who live in unsanitary squaller. And these people are the way they are exclusively because of the narcotics they consume.

In my expereince, I've known people who were inherently organized, focused, successful, and dilligent about maintaining their personal spaces, and appearances.

And I've seen them become the OPPOSITE of all those things pretty quickly because their "casual" narcotics use eventually caught up to them and got the better of them.

It happens every day. Those of you on the opposite side of this issue can pretend that it doesn't, but that's just NOT reality.

Rehab centers across this country are filled to the breaking point by alcohol and narcotics users... ALL of whom started as "casual social users"... ALL of whom felt the way you feel about my words of disapproval for narcotics.

Some of those folks are the very celebrities that young people look up to, admire, and even emulate.

I'm sure that Whitney Houston, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears or Robert Downey Jr. would ALL have reacted the same as you have at one time or other upon reading words like mine.

But they all learned painful lessons.

I say, again, NOT everyone falls that far, and I certainly don't wish that upon any of you.

jedi master sal
02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
And with that can we now PLEASE close this thread???

El Chuxter
02-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Funny, if I were listing celebrities who learned the hard lessons about drugs, I'd be more likely to cite Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Robert Johnson, Mama Cass, Brian Jones, Shannon Hoon, Kurt Cobain, River Phoenix, Heath Ledger, etc, etc, etc.

Kidhuman
02-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Funny, if I were listing celebrities who learned the hard lessons about drugs, I'd be more likely to cite Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Robert Johnson, Mama Cass, Brian Jones, Shannon Hoon, Kurt Cobain, River Phoenix, Heath Ledger, etc, etc, etc.

Jerry Garcia, Lane Staley, Chris Farley, John Belushi........

Rocketboy
02-14-2008, 12:39 PM
...Slicker's Dad...

CaptainSolo1138
02-14-2008, 01:01 PM
You remember that time when Chris Farley did a mountain of blow and, and, and he got all sweaty and even fatter and then he starred in "Beverly Hills Ninja"? Do you remember that? That was awesome.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Rather than just berate each other for our choices, I would prefer to understand why people make these choices. Most of you are my age or younger, a few a bit older. So, you certainly would have been exposed to plenty of anti-drug campaigns. What were your opinions on smoking, drinking and drugs when you were a child? Was there a point where you thought you would never do that? If so, what changed your mind?

I can recall someone asking me when I was young if I thought I would smoke or drink when I was older. I recall saying that I wouldn't smoke but I might drink. I predicted that pretty well. I've never smoked, and I only drink a little. I can't understand the appeal of smoking. I can understand that people who do it enjoy it, and that it can be difficult to stop once you start. But what is it about it that makes breathing in a bunch of smoke appealing to someone who has never done it? When you are at a campfire and the smoke blows in your direction, do you turn your face away or do you breathe it in deep?

I guess when I contemplate all of these substances, I just see no reason to start considering all of the bad things that can happen. Alcohol is legal, so I don't have a problem with that as long as it is used responsibly. Responsible isn't just not driving while intoxicated. Drinking until you are sick or in a drunken stupor is not responsible either.

Maybe marijuana is benign like the NORML crowd would have us believe. Perhaps there should be some loosening of the laws regarding it. However, if they are wrong, then that could end up causing as many problems as it solves. I think my solution would be to only criminalize selling it. If people could grow their own, then they wouldn't need to buy it. You take away the monetary incentive, and all the pushers would be out of business.

Tycho
02-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I've only read the first page of this one. I'm catching up. But I have a few things to say.

It's quite possible to not have "everything together" and have never been on drugs.

I am addicted to THINKING, often arguing with anyone about many things.

DarkLord posted pictures of his nice place, but who knows if he really lives like that? (the orderliness, etc.)

I would take pics of my place when it is all cleaned up, as I prepare to have company. Several members of SSG have stayed over at my place in the past and hopefully found it quite clean and comfortable.

When I'm not expecting guests however, I don't live that way. I'm not a slob - I have paid housekeepers come in every other week to make sure of that. On my own though, I hate routine.

I cannot shave my beard without going to post on the internet (usually in some religious or political debate I'm participating in) halfway through the job. I literally do my dishes and laundry between the time I alot for different online arguments I'm involved in. I'm a keyboard warrior high on my own endorphins.

I think that may be what it actually is. When your brain is active, it produces electrical stimuli and releases chemical endophins, seratonin, or whatever, and my mind is especially addicted to that. At night, I can't fall alseep without calculating Clinton and Obama's next projected delegate gains in their primary, and how the results in certain states might play to their electoral vote count in the general election against McCain. I will get out of bed and reboot my computer to use its calulator and I have a tally sheet here right next to me that I keep up to date with the current score.

I also think of ways to improve my book, etc. I have to do something new and different.

Shaving, dishes, laundry, cleaning the cat boxes, etc. are all boring and unmotivating to me. I hurry through them and prepare things prior to my housekeepers arrival, or the arrival of any expected company. But otherwise I cannot stand to do some of these things and can only accomplish them in between my so-called intellectual activities.

Meanwhile, my medical condition - it could be terminal - is surely very depressing. I don't abuse substances to forget about it. I engage in these arguments, debates, etc. to distract myself as it makes things much more exciting and challenging than it would be if I had time to just dwell on things I can't change while I'm sifting through the cat sand. (I try to download new music and so forth to get me through my chores).

But while you will not catch me on drugs, you won't find me living a perfect example of ship-shape every day.

Oh, I shower, smell nice, keep fresh mint gum in my pocket at all times (hate people with bad breath getting close to me), but beyond that, it is a challenge for me to adhere to routine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, Dark Lord sounds very "Navy." My father was a Commander / Executive Officer, and taught me a lot of the exact same things Dark Lord posted about.

You say "hello" to all you encounter, speak up, and look them in the eyes.

That might have been a gentleman's way of behaving in the old days, but now society has seemed to change that it causes some uncomfortable misperceptions.

Gay men seem to think they have an opening if you look them in their eyes and say "hello" to them. I can't stand that and while I don't want to be "a hater," I feel intense hostility if a gay man responds in any manner that indicates he is interested in me just because I said "hello" like a real man should. I can't explain why, but that is my reaction. It is a stronger, more hostile and worse feeling for me when I don't have a girlfriend because I believe that homosexuals must be "settling." I don't want to start a debate about that (again). I just brought it up because of Dark Lord's advice about greeting other people.

Meanwhile, many women get very paranoid like you're going to rape them or something. They avert their eyes and don't respond. Others, especially "less attractive" women, or older ones, and lower economic class members, often ethnic minorities, really light up and smile and get into this because probably everyone else ignores them. I say "hello" to the Mexican cleaning help in my complex and wonder if I am the only one who does. I get great smiles from them and they often say "hello" to me first or try to say something nice to me in broken English. That is why I think others do not talk to them at all. I think that's rude. They are human beings. I'll also say "hello" to male gardeners, groundskeepers, maintainance men, etc. if they cross my path.
I don't know why people don't. Are they shy? Unable to function socially? Or do they really think they are so above everyone else? Believe me, (actually you already do) that right or wrong I think I'm some kind of genius who borders on god-hood and I probably do consider myself better than God Himself as I wouldn't have made so many mistakes creating the universe ;) , but I don not treat people badly. Some here have chosen to ignore my posts and arguments (rants) about this or that (usually hypocrisy denoted by my False-this-or-that theories) but they are not personal attacks. People take them as such though. But I've noticed a lot of long-lost forum members I used to talk with who have not been in the action figure threads I post in. I don't know if that is to avoid contact with me, or otherwise. I actually don't think so because they aren't posting in other threads that I've read and NOT posted in either, but meanwhile, I have never been the shy one - about saying hello or expressing my point of view.

Finally gang members seem to take you looking them in the eye and saying "hello" as a challenge or something. Then again, some have decided that is a sign of me respecting them, or treating them like a human being. The other day I said hello to some punk skater guy who came across my path. He was sort of dressed Goth with an earing and one in his chin. He wore baggy jeans that were cut off just under his knees. And he had some kind of black cult shirt on or something, with a black ballcap turned backwards. Oh and of course he had the customary chain from his beltloop to his wallet that looks so trashy to me. I said "hello" to him though and treated him just like I would anyone else, and he responded well in turn. Maybe I had no business judging him and disapproving of his appearance so much like I did (I also wanted to get his hair cut away from that gelled-up spiked look) but he never had any clue that I felt such loathing for the dude.

I find that you cannot help but make these judgements about people, profiling them for what it's worth. Most of the time, I try my best to not show that. Thus I CAN get to know someone different from me, and I might re-evalutate my opinion about them once I do get to know them. If I do become friends with such a person, it's easier if they never learned of my first impression of them. If I become GOOD friends with them, and they don't change and their persona still bugs me, I might have established myself enough in their life to not jepeordize my friendship with them to let them know my actual feelings about some aspect of their lives.

A friend who uses drugs, smokes, or drinks too much might very well get a good earful of my opinion about that.

But even when someone doesn't direct their comments at any specific individual, people can get all bent out of shape over it as the drug users here are feeling persecuted by Dark Lord's expression of his opinion.

DARKLORD_67
02-14-2008, 09:21 PM
You remember that time when Chris Farley did a mountain of blow and, and, and he got all sweaty and even fatter and then he starred in "Beverly Hills Ninja"? Do you remember that? That was awesome.

Yeah... a-and... and... d'you....you remember when... when Chris Farley... like... smoked crack and snorted heroin all day long with a hooker on December 17th, 1997... when he was up for... like 4 days straight.... and then... and then, like he... he, like... collapsed... and then.... then his brother John found him the next afternoon dead on the floor... with stuff comin' outta his nose and mouth... and he... he was, like 33 years old... Do you remember that? That wasn't so awesome....

Jargo
02-14-2008, 09:24 PM
this is just a p1$$1ng contest and it's getting farcical. agree to disagree and walk away while you have some dignity intact.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah... a-and... and... d'you....you remember when... when Chris Farley... like... smoked crack and snorted heroin all day long with a hooker on December 17th, 1997... when he was up for... like 4 days straight.... and then... and then, like he... he, like... collapsed... and then.... then his brother John found him the next afternoon dead on the floor... with stuff comin' outta his nose and mouth... and he... he was, like 33 years old... Do you remember that? That wasn't so awesome....

Ah yes. it's a sad, sad story that sadly has been repeated thoughout the years in Hollywood.

DARKLORD_67
02-14-2008, 09:31 PM
I've only read the first page of this one. I'm catching up. But I have a few things to say.

It's quite possible to not have "everything together" and have never been on drugs.

I am addicted to THINKING, often arguing with anyone about many things.

DarkLord posted pictures of his nice place, but who knows if he really lives like that? (the orderliness, etc.)

Loved your post Tycho. It was a great read. But, trust me, I do live the way the photos show.

Unfortunately, (and I use that word expressly) I am a tiny... tiny bit of a "neat freak". But just a teensy-weensy bit, though. I can control it if I want to.

Aw... who the hell am I kiddin'? I'm a nutcase. I'm so wound tight, that my idea of fun is to polish the marble of my kitchen floor. I'm friggin' borderline OCD, and my wife once called me "anti-sceptic". Felix Unger's got nuthin' on me.

I believe the medical, clinical term for someone like me is "tight-@ss".

Maybe I should just have a drink...:rolleyes:

Kidhuman
02-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Maybe I should just have a drink...:rolleyes:

Hey, I'm buying.

2-1B
04-20-2008, 10:56 PM
KH is that tab still open ?

Mad Slanted Powers
04-21-2008, 12:08 AM
KH is that tab still open ?

I don't know about that, but today is 4/20. G4TV devoted their day to 420 programming. Apparently, the G now stands for Ganja.

2-1B
04-21-2008, 12:11 AM
so that's why mabs hasn't been posting today...

CaptainSolo1138
04-21-2008, 06:18 AM
And tomorrow, when he says he was blowing smoke up Elf's butt, he's not saying it because he was lying to her.

2-1B
04-21-2008, 06:53 AM
I hope the camera batteries are fully charged.

Blue2th
04-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I used to like a little herbage, but I'm on the old Prozac for depression, and you can't mix the two or you'll really turn into a vegetable.

About ten years ago I was in a Rock'n'Roll band that played alot of Southern rock, Blues, Classic, etc. We were always playing Biker runs and catered to the local and around the state Scooter Trash. There was alot of Meth going around even then.

Now that I think back on it, I think I would have gotten my a** kicked serious, if some of those people knew I collected toys, but I kept my private life separate from my so-called professional life.

I'll tell ya I've seen what that Nazi drug has done to alot of people. I've got no use for the people who push it or are on it. Eventually it turns people into Phsychopaths.
It's still the number one scourge around these parts.
It used to be you could move out to the country to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but now there are more users out there and it's even more dangerous to live in the country than the city.