PDA

View Full Version : Dear Evo Qui-Gon, we cheaped your lightsaber, luv Hasbro

JediTricks
02-13-2008, 12:58 AM
http://www.yakface.com/toyguide/dioramas/chewie/021308ev13.jpg

WTF?!? Why would they go to the trouble of finally doing a super-articulated Qui-Gon and then use that inadequate lightsaber accessory? No removable blade, no extra hilt, no reason they should have been this stingy with an Evolutions figure. I don't want the other 2 figs in this set, so now there's no way in hell I'm dropping $21.64 on a Qui-Gon figure that doesn't even get a new saber. Cheap ****s!

El Chuxter
02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
This is almost enough to make me forget that they're finally making Yarna after all these centuries of our begging.

A new Qui-Gon wasn't much lower on my list of "must-have" figures, and for them to drop the ball bugs me. The figure itself looks nice, though, even if I can't tell with 100% certainty if that's a reused head or not.

General_Grievous
02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't really care much, as I would have him posed with his lightsaber anyway, but I do find it strange that they used the old lightsaber.

Lazer Brain
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
yes , this set is on my pass list..... for now.
later

El Chuxter
02-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Not mine. I want the Qui-Gon and the Bultar both pretty badly. I passed on the carpy comic pack to get a "real" Bultar Swan. And, though I'm not especially happy about the lightsaber, I want a new Qui-Gon so bad I'd eat dog poop and post video to YouTube if Hasbro said it would only give this figure to people who do so.

JON9000
02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Why would they go to the trouble of finally doing a super-articulated Qui-Gon and then use that inadequate lightsaber accessory? No removable blade, no extra hilt, no reason they should have been this stingy with an Evolutions figure.

Look what they did with VTSC Bespin Luke. His sabre completely bites next to SAGA Bespin Luke. That one had a metal hilt with detachable blade, the best version of a lightsabre included with any figure I ever bought. Fortunately, with Luke I was just able to make a trade between figures. Poor old Qui-gon doesn't have enough versions out there to do the same.

They really need to go back to SAGA Bespin Luke for Saber inspiration, or as a guide to what makes for flat out awesome accesories in general in the age of the $8 figure. That said, EVO Qui-Gon will be on a single card someday, so getting a whole EVO pack with figs you don't want doesn't make a lot of sense to me anyhow. Perhaps Hasbro will pack him with a better saber at that time.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-13-2008, 03:06 PM

WTF?!? Why would they go to the trouble of finally doing a super-articulated Qui-Gon and then use that inadequate lightsaber accessory? No removable blade, no extra hilt, no reason they should have been this stingy with an Evolutions figure. I don't want the other 2 figs in this set, so now there's no way in hell I'm dropping $21.64 on a Qui-Gon figure that doesn't even get a new saber. Cheap ****s!

This is almost enough to make me forget that they're finally making Yarna after all these centuries of our begging.

A new Qui-Gon wasn't much lower on my list of "must-have" figures, and for them to drop the ball bugs me. The figure itself looks nice, though, even if I can't tell with 100% certainty if that's a reused head or not.

You guys are surprised? Look at all the other things they've cheaped out on.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-13-2008, 04:26 PM
If it really bothers you all that much, just use the lightsaber from the 2002 Saga Qui-Gon figure. They should have used that one here, but, well, you've got options once you've opened it.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-13-2008, 05:13 PM
It's just a lightsaber...Why the fuss? If you don't like the one that comes with him use one of the other thousand i'm sure you guys have. Sheesh. I can't wait to get this figure and Bultar and Luke just make this pack double the fun!

Deoxyribonucleic
02-13-2008, 05:34 PM
and the face and the hair and the...

I was looking forward to this figure actually, now I am not. :sleeping:

JediTricks
02-13-2008, 11:49 PM

A new Qui-Gon wasn't much lower on my list of "must-have" figures, and for them to drop the ball bugs me. The figure itself looks nice, though, even if I can't tell with 100% certainty if that's a reused head or not.I don't think the head looks like anything we got before, but it's certainly not delivering the accuracy goods either.

I don't really care much, as I would have him posed with his lightsaber anyway, but I do find it strange that they used the old lightsaber.The hilt is pretty big and has the old style of blades, thicker and without flare, it won't match anything modern. I think they just got cheap/lazy here.

Look what they did with VTSC Bespin Luke. His sabre completely bites next to SAGA Bespin Luke. That one had a metal hilt with detachable blade, the best version of a lightsabre included with any figure I ever bought. Fortunately, with Luke I was just able to make a trade between figures. Hmm, I can't follow you down this path. The saber they gave Saga Luke was literally just a vague metal tube with a subtle emitter and grips, and it wasn't even HIS saber, it was basically the Ep 2 Anakin saber which has a totally different emitter design and is thinner. It was so basic they could paint the emitter black and give it to Vader. Meanwhile, the VTSC Luke hilt is merely the ROTS Anakin hilt, but the thing of it is, that hilt is based on the ESB Luke saber, the cross-hatched activation-box band is actually from cross-hatched tape put on the band in ESB. In fact, for the toy, the only inaccuracies to Luke are that it's a little large and it's sporting the prequel-era belt disk.

Poor old Qui-gon doesn't have enough versions out there to do the same.His saber is really plain, they could pull it off.

You guys are surprised? Look at all the other things they've cheaped out on.This is the Qui-Gon figure people have been nagging them to do right for nearly a decade. With Evolutions, they've done premiere-quality new accessories with many figures in the line, especially those accessories that have called out for that need.

If it really bothers you all that much, just use the lightsaber from the 2002 Saga Qui-Gon figure. They should have used that one here, but, well, you've got options once you've opened it.That would be the figure nobody bought because it's terrible. They should have used it here if they weren't gonna do a new one, but that Saga one is heavily inaccurate in the upper half for no real reason.

It's just a lightsaber...Why the fuss? If you don't like the one that comes with him use one of the other thousand i'm sure you guys have. Sheesh. I can't wait to get this figure and Bultar and Luke just make this pack double the fun!Why the fuss? Because all of them are the same lazy, oversized, underquality crap we got 9 years ago, and it's the ONLY accessory he absolutely shouldn't be without. I mean, by your logic, why the fuss for a new Qui-Gon at all?

and the face and the hair and the...

I was looking forward to this figure actually, now I am not. :sleeping:Yeah, I feel the same way, I wanted this figure to work out and it didn't.

JON9000
02-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Oops, guess that Luke saber is Anakin's. Oh, well. I still think the metal looks pretty cool compared to the plastic sabers out there. If they could make them all metal and more film accurate, I would be happy with that. In the meantime, I think JJL is right, SAGA 02 is probably the best Qui-gon saber out there.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Why the fuss? Because all of them are the same lazy, oversized, underquality crap we got 9 years ago, and it's the ONLY accessory he absolutely shouldn't be without. I mean, by your logic, why the fuss for a new Qui-Gon at all?

Hmmm, The fuss is for the figure not the light saber, yeah great if they gave us a new saber, but as long as the figure as Soft goods and SA, i'm going to be cool with it.

El Chuxter
02-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah, sorta, but the accessory should be on par with the figure. What if they released an awesome figure like, say, the perfect Han Solo, and included the oversized 1995 Blastech pistol?

jjreason
02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Or a beautifully detailed Dutch Vander with a helmet that has no chin strap. :mad:

I'd be ****ed.

This Qui Gon looks to blow. What a shame.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, sorta, but the accessory should be on par with the figure. What if they released an awesome figure like, say, the perfect Han Solo, and included the oversized 1995 Blastech pistol?

I honestly wouldn't put it past them to do that.

plasticfetish
02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
and the face and the hairYeah! I was reading through these posts thinking, "No one thinks the paint is lame-ish?" I saw this set at Target yesterday ($19.99 BTW), and though the Luke figure is good (actually), and the Bultar Swan figure is very nice (I think), the paint on Qui-Gon's face and head was really bad. It killed the deal for me.

I'm willing to keep looking though, because if I can find a better set, I'll live with the other shortcomings. To be honest, most of the recent evo-sets have sucked for quality, so it was surprising to see that this one was only sort of bad.

I very much want to see the "Sith" set now. Out of all of them, that's the one I've been looking forward to.

JediTricks
02-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Hmmm, The fuss is for the figure not the light saber, yeah great if they gave us a new saber, but as long as the figure as Soft goods and SA, i'm going to be cool with it.Why not do a Darth Vader without a cape then? The Jedi's lightsaber is as crucial to a figure as anything else. Maybe we should go back to the sleeveless vinyl trenchcoats of yesteryear as well.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Maybe we should go back to the sleeveless vinyl trenchcoats of yesteryear as well.

HEY! Those are cool! And smell good too!

;)

Cane_Adiss
02-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Geez, all this over a saber? To me the most important thing is the figure, if the figure is done badly then I care. I still haven't even seen this particular evo set in my area but I am excited that a new Qui-Gon is finally hitting shelves. Im looking forward to Bultar Swan as well. Luke, not so much but he's ok I suppose.

JediTricks
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, all this over a saber. Action figure accessories give these baubles their context more than any other outside element, more than playsets, more than ships. The lightsaber generally gives the Jedi action figure its "action" and helps define who that figure is representing. Hell, I have a Stikfas blank black action figure on my desk, and yet he's Star Wars for a single reason: the lightsaber in his hand. If it was just a green stick, he'd be whatever action guy, sure the pose is intended to be Jedi-esque, but without the recognizable lightsaber accessory, he could be any martial artist. I'm fed up with unacceptable accessories at these prices.

Deoxy, your vintage figures' "capes" still smell after all these years?

Sinscia Fat'o
02-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Why not do a Darth Vader without a cape then? The Jedi's lightsaber is as crucial to a figure as anything else. Maybe we should go back to the sleeveless vinyl trenchcoats of yesteryear as well.

Why the cape is apart of he figure it's an actual physical part of the character/figure. If they did bring out Vader without a cape...it wouldn't make sense and it would be a complete failure...unless they done their marketing right maybe Vader's Beach Blossom Get-Away Gear, he doesn't have the Helmet, cape, Skirt, Lightsaber ETC, it's just Vader in the black leather under out fit.

As for the old vinyl vintage capes, they were the crap in the day, easy to pose around, easy to make figures sit down in ships, which beats the crap out of this modern hard plastic cape revolution we went through in the POTF2 generation.

The light saber is important i give you that, it's not like they shorted this weapon from us, and if they use the episode one based lightsaber sculpt which wasn't that bad...or the saga one why not just slap a saber hilt and blade color of your choseing in their and be done with it? I mean we have all these metal sabers from the saga line which the blades come out of, and with this we can custom sabers to our liking.

(The Han Solo thing was low dude! Han without his blaster would be better than the 95 thing but i would still buy the figure and just through the vintage pistol in the holster and be done with it.)

Deoxyribonucleic
02-14-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm fed up with unacceptable accessories at these prices.

This is precisely why I agree with you. If the figs were cheaper, I'd expect the accessories to be poo ie: POTF2 crapola. However, I am now paying over $7 a figure and I expect almost perfection at this price!

Deoxy, your vintage figures' "capes" still smell after all these years?

mmmmmmmm, yes they do :thumbsup: Even the figures still smell SO good.:love:

Jedi_Kal-El
02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
This is precisely why I agree with you. If the figs were cheaper, I'd expect the accessories to be poo ie: POTF2 crapola. However, I am now paying over $7 a figure and I expect almost perfection at this price!
mmmmmmmm, yes they do :thumbsup: Even the figures still smell SO good.:love:

I have to agree with you there Deoxy. I know I'm sick of soft plastic guns, and accessories that bend if you look at them the wrong way. For the price we're paying you'd think that quality would be better. I have to wonder if they even employ anyone in the QC dept. anymore.

Vintage figure smell is great! *sniff, sniff* :D

Mad Slanted Powers
02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
I think the picture linked to in the first post looks pretty good. I usually don't even notice the lightsabers and whether or not they are the correct one. The one in the picture looks a lot more sturdy than the ones with the removable blade. I'm looking forward to getting this set.

JEDIpartner
02-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Is "cheaped" even a word? :sur:

JediTricks
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
How can you not notice the accessories when they suck, how can you not care? The lightsaber is one of the most iconic aspects of Star Wars, and they're just giving us rehashed crapola, but far too many of you don't care - wait, that's not accurate, you seem to care in the opposite direction, you seem to be coming into this thread commending Hasbro for screwing this up: "an old lightsaber the size of his forearm with poor detailing that doesn't match the modern aesthetic? Good job Hasbro, stick it to the fans who wanted to shell out $22 for this figure to be done right" is how this is coming off.

Remind me to applaud the next time they make some prequel doofus Jedi's robe super-generic and you all start crying. "Oh noes!!!1 They made Jedi Master Kul-Ade's robe out of felt, it doesn't even have a hood, how could theys?" We have multiple Plo Koons and Sassy Tins and Luminara Undies and Kone-Heady-Mondays and Shaak-Tis and Aayla Securas and Kit Fistos even though with all of them, their original figures looked fine. But these Jedi nobodies who some of you love so much had their fans ranting and raving simply because they were missing a piece of articulation or they didn't have a removable robe. But heaven forbid we ask Hasbro to get the lightsaber accessory right, then it's time to bash the collectors for wanting the ridiculous. Unbelievable. Well, enjoy your $22 incomplete Qui-Gon Jinn figures, some of us won't be able to.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-15-2008, 06:43 PM
What matters to me with the lightsaber is if it fits in his hand. I'm also saying that I never payed much attention to what each of their lightsabers looked like in the movie. Of course, Dooku's stands out because of the shape. And I'm not paying $22 for one figure, I'm getting three figures. All three of the figures look to be pretty good based on the pictures I've seen. This might actually be beneficial to those that were only interested in the set for Qui-Gon. Now you can wait until they card it, and maybe they will have the lightsaber corrected by then.

AmanaMatt
02-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Forget the lightsaber - the likeness of Qui Gon is terrible - looks more like TRU Geoffrey to me than Liam Neeson. In person, his neck is freakishly long - big pass on this set for me.

JediTricks
02-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Like I said, why not just settle for a green stick then, or a baseball bat, or one of those oversized POTF2 longsabers with the fat hilts that require extra fat hands. Speaking of which, you can see the figure's hands have to be stretched to get around this old saber, but hey, at least Hasbro saved three cents per unit. The other 2 figures haven't been requested for 9 years while Qui-Gon has, the other 2 figures don't particularly look that good and I couldn't care less about either of them. This is supposed to be this year's premium figure series and it comes up short in an area there's no reason to do so.

So you don't care about accurate accessories, that's fine, but why come into a thread that clearly does and complain about those who take issue with this? Why come in and say "I don't mind this crap, stop whining", what does that get us?

The neck I guess has to be that long to accommodate the long hippie hair and a tiny bit of range of movement.

Speaking of ugly on this figure, what's up with the elbow joints designed into the sleeves? They look terrible, the right arm looks like someone hacked it off and sewed a smaller arm in its place. The backs of the forearm parts look similar.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Hasbro likes to save 3 cents per unit here, there, and pretty much everywhere JT. All while conveniently raising the price to us. Sorta similar to gas prices getting higher due to so called shotages while oil companies post record profits. I guess we can kinda control how much money the CEO at Hasbo takes per year though.

bigbarada
02-16-2008, 01:07 AM
If they wanted to recycle a lightsaber, then why not use the one from the 2002 Saga figure?

Anyways, so far all of this years Evolutions sets look like garbage. I'm soooo glad we got this instead of more vintage-style figures for 2008.:rolleyes:

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 04:54 PM
3 cents that costs them several $20 sales makes no sense - or cents.

Because all the broken lightsaber blades from the Saga line have scared Hasbro off that concept. Which is dopey since they have been gluing the blades into the hilts lately when they use them, but I bet you that's why. That or they don't have access to the tooling. :rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Like I said, why not just settle for a green stick then, or a baseball bat, or one of those oversized POTF2 longsabers with the fat hilts that require extra fat hands. Speaking of which, you can see the figure's hands have to be stretched to get around this old saber, but hey, at least Hasbro saved three cents per unit. The other 2 figures haven't been requested for 9 years while Qui-Gon has, the other 2 figures don't particularly look that good and I couldn't care less about either of them. This is supposed to be this year's premium figure series and it comes up short in an area there's no reason to do so.

So you don't care about accurate accessories, that's fine, but why come into a thread that clearly does and complain about those who take issue with this? Why come in and say "I don't mind this crap, stop whining", what does that get us?

The neck I guess has to be that long to accommodate the long hippie hair and a tiny bit of range of movement.

Speaking of ugly on this figure, what's up with the elbow joints designed into the sleeves? They look terrible, the right arm looks like someone hacked it off and sewed a smaller arm in its place. The backs of the forearm parts look similar.
Actually, they tried the stick thing on the Vintage Bespin Luke, and I didn't like it. The modern ones at least look like lightsabers.

I'll agree with you that for something so simple, they should be able to get it right. I was mainly commenting on the fact that I thought the figures looked pretty good and that the lightsaber didn't really detract from that. I think I concur with you a bit on Qui-Gon's arms, but overall it is a vast improvement over previous Qui-Gon figures.

As far as the other two figures, the Luke may not have been a requested one, but the facial likeness looks to be one of the better ones we've had. I recall hearing some demand here for a Bultar Swan figure long before I knew who she was. I think the figure looks pretty good, and all three appear to have some good articulation.

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 05:40 PM
For my tastes, Luke's likeness is too similar to the current ROTJ likeness (which is from what, '03, '04?), it's new but it doesn't seem to be a big improvement. And the outfit is too prequely, not very Luke. And I just noticed the figure has a recolored Anakin saber to complete his failure: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8186/dscn0138tj4.jpg

Anyway, my original point had no comment on the actual figure except that if they can't even get his accessories to modern standards, I won't be dropping big coin on him. I don't think his likeness is "there" though, I think they made him too generic. Look at the original Evo sets, those had tons of new, high-quality accessories. Now it's nearly all recycled and barely anything there.

DarkJedi5
02-16-2008, 10:55 PM
For my tastes, Luke's likeness is too similar to the current ROTJ likeness (which is from what, '03, '04?), it's new but it doesn't seem to be a big improvement. And the outfit is too prequely, not very Luke. And I just noticed the figure has a recolored Anakin saber to complete his failure: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/8186/dscn0138tj4.jpg

Finally! Someone else says it! Qui-Gon's lightsaber shows an unbelievable lack of effort, Luke's is just plain stupid. You could have just taken the ROTJ saber from the Luke we've already had this year and you'd have nailed it. But no, they just color Anakin's saber green. The box even has pictures of the other saber on it. Hasbro blows it again.

El Chuxter
02-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Finally found this today, and, man, it was so nice to see an improved Qui-Gon that I didn't even care anymore that he's not quite up to 2008 standards. And Bultar, too! Luke actually looks sorta nice in person, as the colors aren't as garish.

DJ5, I figured it was one of Luke's other sabers. There are references to him building several more after ROTJ, including one with the Mimban crystal.

DarkJedi5
02-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I'll trust you Chux but I have a feeling that Hasbro wasn't thinking of that.

mm74md
02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Step away from the computer, take off your Jedi Robes/Stormtrooper Armour, go outside and stay away from the toy stores for a few days!

Geez!

JEDIpartner
02-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Step away from the computer, take off your Jedi Robes/Stormtrooper Armour, go outside and stay away from the toy stores for a few days!

Geez!

Oh, my! Do I find myself agreeing with you for once??! LOL

:love:

mm74md
02-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Oh, my! Do I find myself agreeing with you for once??! LOL

:love:

Hardy har har!

I've mellowed a bit over the past few years. I :love: medication

JediTricks
02-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Geez!
...says the guy resurrecting this thread after a week of inactivity.

DarkArtist
02-26-2008, 06:58 PM

I hear ya JT, and I feel the same way about the weapon and lack of accessories, they also did this with the old and new Darth Maul's and gave us the TPM lightsaber when I think the Saga Darth Maul training fatigues lightsaber was a great improvement, metal hilt and removable blades.

I think that's one of the things that I don't like about the new sets of EVO no accessories, I would have loved to see 3 of the Jedi Robes, hilts, maybe some jedi comlinks. just one cloak was kinda weak.

shaun_the_klown
02-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm just happy to be seein a Bultar Swann figure, not phased bout luke tho...

but, is luke and leia midgets? they are so much smaller than new trilogy figs...