PDA

View Full Version : Knight Rider is back! (new show, Feb 17th)

Tycho
02-13-2008, 05:03 AM
Knight Rider returns to TV with 2 hr pilot movie (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=329002871)

KITT won't turn into a robot and pee on somebody, so you might not think he's a brilliant as BumbleBee, but the Knight Industries 3000 (yes, it's the 3000) will launch on February 17th.

They can't come up with original, new ideas, can they? I'm waiting for Mad Max to become a TV show next. :rolleyes:

(Uh, I'd probably watch that though. The Blade one was good. Too bad it got canned.)

But Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles has been an excellent new show. But it is a new direction for Terminator, too.

I'm not certain, but Knight Rider looks to be a rehash.

We'll see in only a few more days.

Feb. 17 is next Sunday.

KITT looks to possibly be a new Mustang Cobra.

I guess if Pontiac (part of GM) got the Transformers, Ford wanted Knight Rider. :p

El Chuxter
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Uh, hmmmmm.

I've heard rumors of a show or movie. But the fact that it is less than a week away, and this is the first specific I've heard, that kinda worries me. Almost like NBC's trying to bury it.

Tycho
02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
It's the writers' strike. The networks are desperately looking to air stuff so they have some new material to keep people watching.

Shows that didn't make it before are now being given a try. I'm not sure if Knight Rider's revival was always planned, but the lack of promotion until now suggests otherwise.

Ironically, this might be how Sarah Conner Chronicles made it, but I'm not sure. That was a hyped show with Comic Con intro and it's been high quality ever since it debuted.

But if there is a show about toilet paper (like a CSI team's attempt to catch the guy who squeezed the Charmin) and the networks are desperate enough during a strike... "it'll roll." Hahaha. I'm so funny. "It'll roll." I made that up myself. Oh shoot! With that kind of talent, I should go on strike!

El Chuxter
02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah, but this had to be written at some point, before the strike. So was Sarah Connor. Fox has been hyping the hell out of that. This is the first I've seen of this beyond vague rumors. And it premieres in, what, four days?

UKWildcat
02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
KITT looks to possibly be a new Mustang Cobra.

You are correct, the 550hp Shelby Cobra GT500KR to be exact. Here is a pretty nifty break down between the old KITT and the new one: linky (http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4237588.html) (site appears to be very slow today)

Transformers did feature a Saleen S281 Ford Mustang; Barricade. Pretty badass too. :thumbsup:

BTW - I'll tune in and watch the show, for the GT500KR mainly. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I was going to watch it for Will "Gob" Arnett as he was the voice of Kit, but since he left the project last week, i'm avoiding it. hehehee:whip:

Tycho
02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I think it was SirSteve that told me Val Kilmer was going to do the voice of KITT.

El Chuxter
02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Gob was KITT?

Frickin'-A, that would be awesome. Especially if they made the new KITT a smart aleck.

Tycho
02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
I heard there was something about this person having a contract with another car company and they didn't want him also patronizing Ford while he was a spokesperson for their rival.

2-1B
02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Saw the full page ad in Entertainment Weekly with KITT Kobra.

I threw up in my mouth a bit. :vomit:

Exhaust Port
02-13-2008, 10:37 PM
It can't be any worse than Team Knight Rider. I'll tune in if I can but I'm not holding my breath on this one. The new KITT is growing on me. I guess I'm a sucker for the new Mustang body. Ditch the stupid spoiler but other than that it's pretty good.

UKWildcat
02-13-2008, 10:59 PM
The new KITT is growing on me. I guess I'm a sucker for the new Mustang body.

I completely understand. I absolutely love the new body, and the car all around. I'm a proud owner of a 2006 GT and it is a ton of fun to drive and I love the vehicle inside and out, its awesome. I can only imagine what a GT500 would be like. :pleased: :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-14-2008, 12:50 AM
No, you're mistaken, Knight Rider is not back, it's just some poseur ripping off the name and concept and nothing else. A ****ing Mustang as KITT?!? That's so wrong, just completely the wrong car for it, I don't care if Ford is paying for the show (they are), make it sleeker like the GT. Oh, but hey, the new guy is an Iraq war burnout, that's so edgy! Lame.

KITT looks to possibly be a new Mustang Cobra.No such car exists in the current line, though there is a Shelby Mustang GT500 with Shelby Cobra badging (confusing!). This fakeass KITT is a modification of the GT500KR ("King of the Road " is what it stands for :rolleyes: ) and looks really wrong for KITT.

Uh, hmmmmm.

I've heard rumors of a show or movie. But the fact that it is less than a week away, and this is the first specific I've heard, that kinda worries me. Almost like NBC's trying to bury it.Roughly 1 out of every 4 primetime breaks on the network has been pimping it for the past month. The ads are underwhelming and show nothing from the actual show.

It's the writers' strike. The networks are desperately looking to air stuff so they have some new material to keep people watching.This waste of radio waves was written and put into production before the strike.

Ironically, this might be how Sarah Conner Chronicles made it, but I'm not sure. That was a hyped show with Comic Con intro and it's been high quality ever since it debuted.No, that show was slated and in production long before its airdate, they had always intended it to be where it is now. Knight Rider was put into production in late September, it was "fast-tracked" when they realized they were running out of stuff to air.

I love how that Popular Mechanics article is all excited they got the guy who did the batmobile for Batman & Robin to do this car, that was the worst, most forgettable batmobile ever, even surpassing the ridiculous neon one in Batman Forever.

I think it was SirSteve that told me Val Kilmer was going to do the voice of KITT.This is true, that's who they got to replace Will Arnett at the last second. Kilmer's voice doesn't really have the note for KITT, William Daniels should have been brought back seeing as he's not dead and not that busy and probably not expensive. Plus, he voiced KITT for the Simpsons twice.

Gob was KITT?

Frickin'-A, that would be awesome. Especially if they made the new KITT a smart aleck.I suspect his work would have been more direct, just a voice mostly (even William Daniels was fairly subdued with his lines in the original KR pilot).

I heard there was something about this person having a contract with another car company and they didn't want him also patronizing Ford while he was a spokesperson for their rival.GMC, and yes.

It can't be any worse than Team Knight Rider.Bullmonkeys! TKR wasn't all that good, but it was trying to be something different for a younger set, and the vehicles were all fairly cool. Hell, we'll be lucky if this doesn't suck as bad as Knight Rider 2000 or Knight Rider 2010 (which was KR in name only).

El Chuxter
02-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Guess I must not be watching NBC at the right times, then?

Yeah, I guess that's not a surprise. The only shows they have that anyone watches are Heroes, 30 Rock, and SNL, none of which I care a bit about.

I do watch a lot of GE-owned cable networks, though. You'd think it'd be advertised a bit more widely, given how NBC is essentially in the toilet ratings-wise.

JediTricks
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
That's a good point, they haven't been doing a lot of ads off-network that I've noticed.

BTW, here's Jay Leno with the car, it's not a Tonight Show schticky bit, it's for his site Jay Leno's Garage. I'm not a huge fan of his comedy, he's somewhat funny, but I really appreciate his passion for automobiles.
http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2008/02/exclusive-leno-behind-wheel-of-knight.html
Anyway, the big deal about the video for you guys is Val Kilmer doing a few KITT lines in the video towards the end. He doesn't sound as bad as I expected, but still not really "good" either yet - and I was a fan of the talking cars in Team Knight Rider, so I'm not expecting much. :p

The spoiler-laden version we've been seeing is the morphed Attack mode, pathetic right? The other is the more traditional car with the black paint, gray stripes, chromed wheels (I hate those wheels they're using) and smaller intakes.

Jay Leno remote-control-driving the car was really cool, I gotta get me a setup like that. And then when he's in the car itself doing slides, that kicked ***. Some of where he was driving appeared to be the Burbank area where I did my early driving practice, that was kinda funny because I wanted to do burnouts and slides too. :D

Tycho
02-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I think the new KITT should read a Top 10 list while Leno's trapped behind the wheel. That would be funny.

JediTricks
02-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Top 10, you mean like Letterman? Why would Leno care?

Exhaust Port
02-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I completely understand. I absolutely love the new body, and the car all around. I'm a proud owner of a 2006 GT and it is a ton of fun to drive and I love the vehicle inside and out, its awesome. I can only imagine what a GT500 would be like. :pleased: :thumbsup:

Is your Mustang a Sunday driver or your daily drive? I drove a '99 GT which is my only experience with a "modern" Mustang. Nice car but the new stuff seems to be light years different. I really like the new Bullitt which is my dream Mustang version of choice. Now all I need to do is win the lottery.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/mustangbullitt/

UKWildcat
02-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Is your Mustang a Sunday driver or your daily drive? I drove a '99 GT which is my only experience with a "modern" Mustang. Nice car but the new stuff seems to be light years different. I really like the new Bullitt which is my dream Mustang version of choice. Now all I need to do is win the lottery.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/mustangbullitt/

Daily drive. Can't afford another vehicle yet, so I'm kinda "stuck" with driving it daily. I use the term "stuck" very loosely because I absolutely love the car, and driving it daily has been, and is a lot of fun. Since I purchased the car, I haven't put a lot of miles on it either, so I'm not stressin'. Like I said before its a 2006, and it has a little under 10k miles on it, which isn't bad at all. This car was actually my first Mustang, driving or owning. I had heard mixed things about the previous years, anything later than 1980, rough ride, etc. Although I really liked the fourth generation Cobras. I had a friend who had one, and it was pretty sweet. When they released the new one in '05 I immediately fell in love with it. The changes they made to it were "light years different" as you stated, and all for the better. After I test drove this one, I had to have it, and I just love it.

I'm gonna start doing some minor upgrades soon; cold air intake, exhaust, FR500 wheels, when I get some extra cash, and some time.

I really like the Bullitt too. Its a really sharp vehicle. My only beef with it is the engine, wish they would have plopped the 5.4L 32 valve V8 of the GT500 in it. :D ;) The 4.6L V8 is plenty fast though, especially for the price. :thumbsup:

Here are some pics I took of my Mustang not too long ago, after a good wash/clean:

Tycho
02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Top 10, you mean like Letterman? Why would Leno care?

Yeah. Like Letterman. You got my joke.

I made it to allude to their late-night rivalry.

Exhaust Port
02-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Here are some pics I took of my Mustang not too long ago, after a good wash/clean:

Wow, you picked some great colors for that car. I am jealous. :)

Jedi_Kal-El
02-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Well I watched it, and I'm surprised they were able to keep the Hoff sober long enough to do a 5 minute scene.

Tycho
02-18-2008, 01:26 AM
That was a great tv movie!

It was a lot of fun. I liked the scene with David Hasselhoff. Geeze has he aged though.

I know Ford used the whole thing as a car commercial to the extreme. Still it would have been nice to see the TransAm KITT appear for just 1 cameo or a conversation with the KITT (3000).

I guess this was a stand-alone TV movie, and not the launching of a new series?

The old guy was Devon in the old show. And I think the girl was Bonnie, not Jennifer or whatever Mike's mom said her name was. So these were new (?) characters?

They really played up KITT being a Mustang. The old show did nothing of the sort for TransAm that I recall. They just showed the car, but not hammered you with TransAm or Pontiac logos.

Still was a really cool show. David Hasselhoff might've had a scene with the new KITT too, now that I think of it. Every time I see the guy, I imagine him talking to his car.

Hey, did the actor in real life ever get a DUI? Just curious. I can picture him in a "Mel Gibson moment."

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 02:23 PM
The word "abysmal" is thrown around a lot...

Unfortunately, here it is most deserved. Knight Rider is by no means sacred material, the 26-year-old original was far cheesier and made on a far smaller budget, yet far surpasses this 2 hour waste of time. Being a lifelong Knight Rider fan and critic, I could tell you all the ways this was unfaithful and disingenuous to the original. As a TV fan in general, I could spend a lot of time telling you that the production and direction are poorly realized, that the writing is awful and full of plot holes (it most certainly is - how exactly are these villains beating the 200mph car everywhere?), or that the acting is unbelievably poor (you know you're in trouble when David Hasselhoff's cameo is the best acting in the show). But all that I will spare you to get down to the brass tacks: what really is wrong with this Knight Rider are 3 fundamental problems, the 3 C's - conceptualization, casting, and the car.

The concept behind this doesn't work, there are too many players just on the good guy team, many of which feel completely extraneous, and there are too many interrelationships. The series doesn't lay down a solid foundation and gives an incredibly overreaching threat. In fact, while trying to modernize Knight Rider, it's almost funny that they've unintentionally ripped off 2 other TV shows, "Viper" and the unpopular "Team Knight Rider", at the same time and done neither particularly well. Yes, there is more money poured into this, and the visual effects are of a higher quality (though that is largely due to the abuse of digital effects here), but there's just nothing behind this at all, it's all quite empty and doesn't really get to its point until the second ending, a final act that completely cops out.

The casting is just poor. The problem is likely with the conceptualization really, as Mike Traceur is unlikeable and fairly generic as a character, but they just cast the character too young and too flat, as well as too mild. He doesn't stand for anything, he's just a tall kid in a leather jacket, and he's not even remotely imposing or impressive at all.

Finally, the car, which should be the star of the show, just came off totally uninteresting - an intensely fatal flaw for a new "Knight Rider". The Mustang was a poor choice for KITT, it's aggressive instead of sleek, and lacks that slight futuristic quality the car should have had. I know Ford put money into this, but I wish they had used a different sporty car... oh wait, Ford doesn't MAKE another sporty car right now! This is why GM was a better partner, they have a few more sporty cars right now - the Solstice, the Sky, the Cadillac XLR, the Corvette, the Camaro (alright, I suppose that one's off-limits). Hell, Ford doesn't even make the GT anymore.

In the show, KITT is essentially a talking version of the supercar from "Viper", it changes color and morphs into a battle mode, only this Mustang supercar is unbelievably boring to look at. The pimped wheels are not very Knight Rider, and the double-spoiler is downright embarrassing. So what else does it have then? Extra large intakes and a blocked grille, big deal. Oh, and it changes color twice, so what? Nobody would ever think to notice a Mustang in purple instead of black!

NBC hyped that this KITT was designed by the creator of the movie Batmobile, what they don't focus on is the fact that that movie was "Batman & Robin" and that was easily the most forgettable Batmobile ever created, lacking all the heart and soul that makes a star car special - just as this new KITT suffers. Even the interior of KITT is bland, right down to the pathetic single computer touchscreen in the center console, way to suck the life out of Knight Rider, that crazy dash and all those buttons were so awesome back in the day, but it's all gone now. KITT's moving lightbars for when he talked? Replaced with a standard blobby line, the kind you could see in an old version of Windows Media Player and Sound Recorder. Even Glen Larson's legendary red sweeping scanner has been rendered boring here with a dull glow in the nose intakes which moves symmetrically.

The morphing into battle mode is done through CGI, but it's incredibly dull, not remotely as inspired as either version on "Viper", here the car simply has little tiny blocks appear and build out the extra bits in an unconvincing manner. We also get a few looks at how the car deals with invulnerability through slow-mo shots of bullets impacting and then fixing, throwing out the previous Knight Rider tech that was far less complex and didn't create such a gaping plot device when the car's computer goes offline. The concept has been seen before in other projects, quite often really and with far more effective means, and to be honest this nanotech concept still reeks no matter where it's used.

But the biggest issue with the car is it doesn't DO anything! Sure, it auto-drives in a few lackluster chase scenes, and KITT talks about all the satellite-tracking and computer mumbo jumbo he can do, but we really don't see it, and most of that cyber stuff is played out at this point. You know what KITT did really well back in the day? Turbo boost. KITT's aerial acrobatics that came 3/4ths into every episode were a huge source of entertainment. Ski mode on 2 wheels was good too. Showing the cool scanning going on, video conferencing with Bonnie in her sexy jumpsuit, grappling hooks & winches, voice projection, silent mode, oil jets, smoke screens, microwave jammer, auto-tinting windows, ejection seats, and more - nothing even remotely cool like that appears in this car, it does NOTHING. Hell, even the ridiculous final-season Super Pursuit Mode was better than this morphed Mustang of theirs. There's just nothing about this new KITT worth mention, it steals the "super" out of this supposed supercar.

Ultimately, this is a bad TV movie on its own, and worse, an utter insult to KITT.

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 02:29 PM

It was a lot of fun.Don't talk to me ever again. You clearly have no taste whatsoever. You are incapable of any sense of discrimination and are willing to stomach any poison if it's wrapped in even the cheapest candy.

I know Ford used the whole thing as a car commercial to the extreme. Still it would have been nice to see the TransAm KITT appear for just 1 cameo or a conversation with the KITT (3000).For some awful reason, they disassembled the real KITT, you can see his steering wheel and license plate at the beginning of the movie in the garage where the new car is being built.

I guess this was a stand-alone TV movie, and not the launching of a new series?You guess wrong. NBC is hoping enough people watched to make it a series, it's called a "backdoor pilot".

The old guy was Devon in the old show. And I think the girl was Bonnie, not Jennifer or whatever Mike's mom said her name was. So these were new (?) characters?The old guy was really not playing the Devon role, and the girl wasn't really the Bonnie role - the old guy was essentially the Bonnie role.

They really played up KITT being a Mustang. The old show did nothing of the sort for TransAm that I recall. They just showed the car, but not hammered you with TransAm or Pontiac logos.They masked all the Trans Am's logos in the original except for the embossed ones in the hubcaps (and that was just in the pilot), and GM didn't seem to mind, they made a TON of money off the Trans Am thanks to the original Knight Rider.

Still was a really cool show. David Hasselhoff might've had a scene with the new KITT too, now that I think of it. Every time I see the guy, I imagine him talking to his car.Or his watch. They copped out there too.

Rocketboy
02-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Don't talk to me ever again. You clearly have no taste whatsoever. You are incapable of any sense of discrimination and are willing to stomach any poison if it's wrapped in even the cheapest candy.Obviously. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=558538&postcount=893)

Tycho
02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
How come people that are such huge critics don't ever write their own stuff if they think they know how to do it better?

I've spent well over a year on my novel, which I wrote mostly for myself, but can always hope will sell well enough for someone to want to make a movie.

But while I've put a lot of research into historical fiction to make as much accurate as I possibly can, I also enjoy Hollywood fluff for what it's supposed to be: fluff. This was fun stuff.

Now I actually agree with most of JediTricks' criticisms (when are his and Rocketboy's award-winning novels or screenplays coming out by the way? I'd love to see what their presumed intellect can produce. :rolleyes: )

But meanwhile, let's delve into what JediTricks had to say:

For some awful reason, they disassembled the real KITT, you can see his steering wheel and license plate at the beginning of the movie in the garage where the new car is being built.

I was worried about that. But I was in denial that they'd take apart the original KITT! Nooooo! That's so wrong!

You guess wrong. NBC is hoping enough people watched to make it a series, it's called a "backdoor pilot".

I suppose I'd watch the show then. But I miss the TransAm. KITT is supposed to be a TransAm. That's part of the character.

The Mustang was a poor choice for KITT, it's aggressive instead of sleek, and lacks that slight futuristic quality the car should have had. I know Ford put money into this, but I wish they had used a different sporty car... oh wait, Ford doesn't MAKE another sporty car right now! This is why GM was a better partner, they have a few more sporty cars right now - the Solstice, the Sky, the Cadillac XLR, the Corvette, the Camaro (alright, I suppose that one's off-limits). Hell, Ford doesn't even make the GT anymore.

The above was the best part of JediTricks review. I completely agree. I would have gone with a Corvette if TransAms are no longer in production. Obviously, that would mean pursuing Pontiac, but unless Tracks in going to be in the next Transformers film, 'vettes are free game and not encroaching on something else being done. GM could just clean up on this "car casting in entertainment advertising." I agree that the GT would have been an awesome choice, but I assume they also want a car that's affordable for a broad section of the population to benefit from the advertising. BumbleBee from Transformers will be priced at approximately $28,000 fully loaded with the decale work, if I understood that correctly. At that price, a lot of people will buy that Camaro. Corvettes are considerably more expensive than Mustangs, so I understand why a 'Vette would be a hard sell. Now how about another Camaro? I think BumbleBee stole that one - and we know that he can change his colors, too. So casting KITT would be kind of difficult I guess. Perhaps they should not have made this movie?

Are TransAms out of production? How about Firebirds?

I don't think they put all of KITTs features into one movie so that a future show could have some "discovery episodes." Perhaps he can grow wings and fly now? Well we wouldn't learn that until 6 episodes into the season. Why show all the cards in your hand? That would be poor planning, too.

I'll work with more later. I'm hungry.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Are TransAms out of production? How about Firebirds?

I don't think they put all of KITTs features into one movie so that a future show could have some "discovery episodes." Perhaps he can grow wings and fly now? Well we wouldn't learn that until 6 episodes into the season. Why show all the cards in your hand? That would be poor planning, too.

TransAm went out of production the same year as the Camero back in 02 or 03 I believe.

They're going to try really hard to put this out as a show I'm thinking,and if they do then yes we will see more of what KITT can do. Heck I wouldn't put it past them to do a crossover with old KITT. Even though he was in bits and peices at the begining of the movie.

DarthBrandon
02-18-2008, 06:47 PM
The word "abysmal" is thrown around a lot...

Unfortunately, here it is most deserved. Knight Rider is by no means sacred material, the 26-year-old original was far cheesier and made on a far smaller budget, yet far surpasses this 2 hour waste of time. Being a lifelong Knight Rider fan and critic, I could tell you all the ways this was unfaithful and disingenuous to the original. As a TV fan in general, I could spend a lot of time telling you that the production and direction are poorly realized, that the writing is awful and full of plot holes (it most certainly is - how exactly are these villains beating the 200mph car everywhere?), or that the acting is unbelievably poor (you know you're in trouble when David Hasselhoff's cameo is the best acting in the show). But all that I will spare you to get down to the brass tacks: what really is wrong with this Knight Rider are 3 fundamental problems, the 3 C's - conceptualization, casting, and the car.

The concept behind this doesn't work, there are too many players just on the good guy team, many of which feel completely extraneous, and there are too many interrelationships. The series doesn't lay down a solid foundation and gives an incredibly overreaching threat. In fact, while trying to modernize Knight Rider, it's almost funny that they've unintentionally ripped off 2 other TV shows, "Viper" and the unpopular "Team Knight Rider", at the same time and done neither particularly well. Yes, there is more money poured into this, and the visual effects are of a higher quality (though that is largely due to the abuse of digital effects here), but there's just nothing behind this at all, it's all quite empty and doesn't really get to its point until the second ending, a final act that completely cops out.

The casting is just poor. The problem is likely with the conceptualization really, as Mike Traceur is unlikeable and fairly generic as a character, but they just cast the character too young and too flat, as well as too mild. He doesn't stand for anything, he's just a tall kid in a leather jacket, and he's not even remotely imposing or impressive at all.

Finally, the car, which should be the star of the show, just came off totally uninteresting - an intensely fatal flaw for a new "Knight Rider". The Mustang was a poor choice for KITT, it's aggressive instead of sleek, and lacks that slight futuristic quality the car should have had. I know Ford put money into this, but I wish they had used a different sporty car... oh wait, Ford doesn't MAKE another sporty car right now! This is why GM was a better partner, they have a few more sporty cars right now - the Solstice, the Sky, the Cadillac XLR, the Corvette, the Camaro (alright, I suppose that one's off-limits). Hell, Ford doesn't even make the GT anymore.

In the show, KITT is essentially a talking version of the supercar from "Viper", it changes color and morphs into a battle mode, only this Mustang supercar is unbelievably boring to look at. The pimped wheels are not very Knight Rider, and the double-spoiler is downright embarrassing. So what else does it have then? Extra large intakes and a blocked grille, big deal. Oh, and it changes color twice, so what? Nobody would ever think to notice a Mustang in purple instead of black!

NBC hyped that this KITT was designed by the creator of the movie Batmobile, what they don't focus on is the fact that that movie was "Batman & Robin" and that was easily the most forgettable Batmobile ever created, lacking all the heart and soul that makes a star car special - just as this new KITT suffers. Even the interior of KITT is bland, right down to the pathetic single computer touchscreen in the center console, way to suck the life out of Knight Rider, that crazy dash and all those buttons were so awesome back in the day, but it's all gone now. KITT's moving lightbars for when he talked? Replaced with a standard blobby line, the kind you could see in an old version of Windows Media Player and Sound Recorder. Even Glen Larson's legendary red sweeping scanner has been rendered boring here with a dull glow in the nose intakes which moves symmetrically.

The morphing into battle mode is done through CGI, but it's incredibly dull, not remotely as inspired as either version on "Viper", here the car simply has little tiny blocks appear and build out the extra bits in an unconvincing manner. We also get a few looks at how the car deals with invulnerability through slow-mo shots of bullets impacting and then fixing, throwing out the previous Knight Rider tech that was far less complex and didn't create such a gaping plot device when the car's computer goes offline. The concept has been seen before in other projects, quite often really and with far more effective means, and to be honest this nanotech concept still reeks no matter where it's used.

But the biggest issue with the car is it doesn't DO anything! Sure, it auto-drives in a few lackluster chase scenes, and KITT talks about all the satellite-tracking and computer mumbo jumbo he can do, but we really don't see it, and most of that cyber stuff is played out at this point. You know what KITT did really well back in the day? Turbo boost. KITT's aerial acrobatics that came 3/4ths into every episode were a huge source of entertainment. Ski mode on 2 wheels was good too. Showing the cool scanning going on, video conferencing with Bonnie in her sexy jumpsuit, grappling hooks & winches, voice projection, silent mode, oil jets, smoke screens, microwave jammer, auto-tinting windows, ejection seats, and more - nothing even remotely cool like that appears in this car, it does NOTHING. Hell, even the ridiculous final-season Super Pursuit Mode was better than this morphed Mustang of theirs. There's just nothing about this new KITT worth mention, it steals the "super" out of this supposed supercar.

Ultimately, this is a bad TV movie on its own, and worse, an utter insult to KITT.

Now that my friend was beautiful, sums up my feelings on this piece of carp of a show that aired last night.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
How come people that are such huge critics don't ever write their own stuff if they think they know how to do it better?

I've spent well over a year on my novel, which I wrote mostly for myself, but can always hope will sell well enough for someone to want to make a movie.1) I don't have to have 3 years of jazz and 2 of tap in order to tell that the ballerina who falls on her behind is doing it wrong.

2) Not all of us have trust funds that let us do whatever we want, some of us have to spend the majority of our time making ends meet.

But while I've put a lot of research into historical fiction to make as much accurate as I possibly can, I also enjoy Hollywood fluff for what it's supposed to be: fluff. This was fun stuff.That opinion has no value, it's just saying "I am glad I didn't have to stare at the wall and drool for 2 hours."

Now I actually agree with most of JediTricks' criticisms (when are his and Rocketboy's award-winning novels or screenplays coming out by the way? I'd love to see what their presumed intellect can produce. :rolleyes: )Don't have to be a student of the Cordon Bleu to know when the milk's gone bad. But hey, you want to be my benefactor for a year of gallivanting and writing, and then we'll see what's what.

I suppose I'd watch the show then. And this is why America is going to hell in a handbasket.

The above was the best part of JediTricks review. I completely agree. I would have gone with a Corvette if TransAms are no longer in production. Obviously, that would mean pursuing Pontiac, but unless Tracks in going to be in the next Transformers film, 'vettes are free game and not encroaching on something else being done. GM could just clean up on this "car casting in entertainment advertising." I agree that the GT would have been an awesome choice, but I assume they also want a car that's affordable for a broad section of the population to benefit from the advertising. BumbleBee from Transformers will be priced at approximately $28,000 fully loaded with the decale work, if I understood that correctly. At that price, a lot of people will buy that Camaro. Corvettes are considerably more expensive than Mustangs, so I understand why a 'Vette would be a hard sell. Now how about another Camaro? I think BumbleBee stole that one - and we know that he can change his colors, too. So casting KITT would be kind of difficult I guess. Perhaps they should not have made this movie?They should have stuck with the '82 Trans Am, it's still iconic thanks to KR. The Mustang, like the new Camaro, is a backwards-looking car, it's a modern take on a classic which is not at all what KR needed. And maybe not every chump on the road should be able to drive KITT anyway.

Are TransAms out of production? How about Firebirds?Trans Am is a version of a Firebird, and the Firebird went out of production in '02 with a whimper.

I don't think they put all of KITTs features into one movie so that a future show could have some "discovery episodes." Perhaps he can grow wings and fly now? Well we wouldn't learn that until 6 episodes into the season. Why show all the cards in your hand? That would be poor planning, too.Nearly everything I mentioned could have been in this movie had the writer not been so inept. But he really didn't know what to do with the car, which is evident by its total lack of showing here.

Now that my friend was beautiful, sums up my feelings on this piece of carp of a show that aired last night.:thumbsup:Thanks, I'm glad to see I'm not the only sane one out there. I wrote that right after watching the tape, and I could barely stomach finishing the tape.

UKWildcat
02-18-2008, 09:03 PM

I wasn't a real big fan of the original Knight Rider but I would imagine that a Pontiac Solstice, or a Saturn Sky would have gotten just as much ridicule, if not more, than a Shelby Cobra GT500 Mustang. They are in totally different leagues. The Pontiac GTO would be a better choice than a Solstice or Sky (which are practically the same car). The Cadillac XLR could have worked, definitely more sleek, but I hear that Cadillac may very well stop production on this car in the near future due to lackluster sales. The XLR-V would have been a fine choice, but it is going to be priced around $100k. I absolutely love the Corvette C6 model. If I had, or made, more money, I would have purchased one of these rather than the Mustang GT, or even a GT500 (I can dream can't I? :D). A ZO6, or the upcoming ZR1 would just be a pleasure to own and drive and would have made for an outstanding KITT too, but the price point, kinda like Tycho mentioned, wouldn't have been as practical, same with the Ford GT, which I love as well. The Camaro is out, just because of Transformers. ;) So I dunno, like I said before, I wasn't a big fan of the original, didn't watch many episodes at all, but it seems like the new KITT would have drawn a lot of controversy no matter what was selected. Personally, I think they made a very wise choice with the GT500KR, but I am completely biased, and I will admit that. And I will also admit that the spoiler is a bit much, well, a lot much, but I like the rims. I know those babies would look real nice on my vehicle. :whip:

BTW - Sounds like JT is just a Ford and/or Mustang hater. :p ;)

So casting KITT would be kind of difficult I guess.

Agreed... You are bound to pizz somebody off. I've read many articles, forum entries and the like, where a lot of die hard fans loved the KITT Mustang and where others hated it.

I don't know, but I've often wondered the same thing myself. Lack of time I suppose?

Wow, you picked some great colors for that car. I am jealous. :)

Thanks EP! :thumbsup:

BTW - I still have not watched it, I have it saved to the DVR and I will hopefully get to it within the next day or two. I've heard mixed things, both inside this thread and outside, so I'm looking forward to watching it, but I'm definitely keeping my expectations in check.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Let it all out JT. Let it all out. So what's this, the fourth attempt to ressurect this franchise? I stopped at KR 2000. Didn't care to see 2010 or Team KR. Hey on the bright side though, the Hoff was sober.

Tycho
02-18-2008, 09:36 PM
2) Not all of us have trust funds that let us do whatever we want, some of us have to spend the majority of our time making ends meet.

Not that this is anyone else's business you need make public, but I have trust funds because both my parents died of terminal illnesses - one of which is hereditary and the reason I may very well die sooner than later. You know I'm at 11% kidney function. So I spend a lot of my time getting under blankets to stop shivering, except when I'm vomitting.

Something like 12 years ago when I first joined this site, I was starting college, playing baseball, practicing martial arts, jet skiing, surfing, and making toy runs.

Today it is fortunate that I'm still alive after a brain aneursym that would've killed most people and I'm doing something - my writing - instead of just staring at the walls drooling (so I'll include watching Knight Rider redeaux as part of my entertainment because I've lost the ability to do many of the things I used to enjoy). At least I enjoy some things, as I have become so angry and bitter that it's often all I can do to take my mind off of stuff by revisiting my past (this includes Knight Rider and Transformers obviously). So I'll take what I can get. Meanwhile, I have worked to produce something I hope might be better - but it served as a channel for my anger and bitterness nevertheless. So my work is more for me than for an audience. But we'll see...

Anyway, trust funds are just legal entities to protect inheritences from taxes. On paper, I own nothing and have no income. :thumbsup:

If my parents didn't die, I wouldn't have that financial advantage, but I also could have maintained a career after college like I'd always planned to. Like I said, I am dying because my father and his father before him went this way.

I would not look at it as "an advantage," actually. But yes, it does afford me the time to write. Just the same, it's taken over a year to put this novel together, as well as a field research trip out of state last summer (one reason I did not go to C4).

Rocketboy
02-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Now I actually agree with most of JediTricks' criticisms (when are his and Rocketboy's award-winning novels or screenplays coming out by the way? I'd love to see what their presumed intellect can produce. :rolleyes: )My "award-winning" writings will be out on the 5th of Never.

I've never claimed to be a writer, although I do have numerous ideas that I am working on, on my own time, strictly for fun, and I have absolutely no delusions of being a real writer.

And I've never claimed to be able to write something better, but then again I presume to have the intellect to know I'm not capable of producing something better, so I don't. It's just too bad there are far too many "writers" out there that don't have that understanding, yet somehow keep managing to get work.

To get back on topic, I saw the last 30-45 minutes of the show and thought it was pretty damn boring and predictable.

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
I wasn't a real big fan of the original Knight Rider but I would imagine that a Pontiac Solstice, or a Saturn Sky would have gotten just as much ridicule, if not more, than a Shelby Cobra GT500 Mustang. They are in totally different leagues.My point was merely that GM has more options, Ford has exactly 1.

The Pontiac GTO would be a better choice than a Solstice or Sky (which are practically the same car). The Solstice is a redress of the Sky, which is a design Saturn bought from a UK car company that decided not to go forward on it. The current GTO is an eyesore though, that is one of the saddest things ever, it's like Pontiac has no idea how miserable their cars look, the brand is totally without direction.

The Cadillac XLR could have worked, definitely more sleek, but I hear that Cadillac may very well stop production on this car in the near future due to lackluster sales.The XLR would have been almost too futuristic I suppose, that thing definitely stands out in today's US sports cars. But you know what would have salvaged sales? Appearing as KITT in Knight Rider. :p Here's what I don't get, the original KITT had a small back seat, but it had it. Here, the Mustang GT500KR has no back seat, instead that weird lump that we got an ample view of for a ridiculous amount of screentime in this thing. Yet the script has the heroes attempting to get 5 people into that car (none of them make it though because they're all standing around talking until Mike's mom gets shot like an idiot - of course, if the car had just pulled up to the motel door...).

BTW - Sounds like JT is just a Ford and/or Mustang hater. :p ;)I'm not a Ford fan in general, they have little attractive right now (the rebadged Taurus is the funniest thing ever, the ugly 500 is now the ugly, overpriced Taurus, way to go Ford!) and the cars aren't really built to last, they have 4 smaller pieces doing the job of 1 for enhanced breakability. I don't hate though, the Mustang looks ok-ish (I really grew bored with the last 2 generations of Mustang), but Ford offers nothing really exciting. Loved the Ford GT though, that was hot buttered gold - naturally they discontinued it.

Let it all out JT. Let it all out. So what's this, the fourth attempt to ressurect this franchise? I stopped at KR 2000. Didn't care to see 2010 or Team KR. Hey on the bright side though, the Hoff was sober.KR2010 was never really intended to be part of the KR franchise, they simply slapped the name on a totally different concept. BTW, the KR2010 car was a Ford Mustang! :D This is the 5th though if you count KR2010 -
KR
KR2000
KR2010
TKR
KR (2008)

and sixth if you count the aborted Super Knight Rider 3000 big-screen movie Hass had been trying to get made for several years.

Not that this is anyone else's business you need make publicI didn't make it public, you just did. All I said is not all of us have trust funds, you're the one who explained what was meant by that. You turned this personal with your "always a critic, never a creator" jibes, I merely responded in kind.

At least I enjoy some things, as I have become so angry and bitter that it's often all I can do to take my mind off of stuff by revisiting my past (this includes Knight Rider and Transformers obviously). So I'll take what I can get."Mmm, nourishing gruel. So delicious because it barely keeps me alive. I love its bland taste simply because it's not actively poisoning me." Try some discretion in life, m'boy, it'll help you move forward so you don't have to waste your precious time with stuff like this new Knight Rider. Play a video game online with chat feature, that kills epic amounts of time, plus you don't have to suffer through Sidney Poitier's daughter's horrendous acting.

Exhaust Port
02-18-2008, 10:23 PM
1) I don't have to have 3 years of jazz and 2 of tap in order to tell that the ballerina who falls on her behind is doing it wrong.

Anyone is capable of pointing out the obvious but it takes someone verse in the art, profession, skill, etc. to give an appropriate critique. The key word is appropriate. Basically unless you've done it your validity is non-existent when being specifically critical.

I've been to a lot of art museums in my life so far and I can honestly say I don't like a lot of what I see, it just isn't to my liking. That in no way diminishes it's relevance, how important or how good it is. Who am I to judge that? Except for a few college classes I haven't spent much time as an artist so I'm not verse in the finer details of art (it's making, history, presentation, etc.).

I agree with Tycho that few critics have ever attempted what they are judging. For that reason I think a lot of sport fans love to see ex-players/drivers/athletes give color commentary, they know what they are talking about.

That opinion has no value, it's just saying "I am glad I didn't have to stare at the wall and drool for 2 hours."

Funny to see you claim that someone liking something you don't care for as having "no value". Really, who are you to say what someone can and can't like? Someone's critique might have no value but their opinion? That's laughable.

There are quite a lot of things in pop culture that are liked despite being discarded by the critics. As much as I'm a stickler for accuracy in most movies there are a few exceptions that I just can't judge so harshly as they are just fun to watch. Recently the American Treasure movies did that for me. The plot in both were completely absurd but I really got a kick out of the movies and just sat back and really enjoyed them. The same can be said for nearly every movie of the 80's I liked growing up, like Commando for example.

This is probably one of the worst things I've seen written on this forum. Where do you park your high horse at night? How someone lives their lives doesn't exclude their opinions. Claiming personal hardship doesn't give someone's thoughts more importance either. "I walked uphill both ways to schooll...blah, blah, blah."

JediTricks
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Anyone is capable of pointing out the obvious but it takes someone verse in the art, profession, skill, etc. to give an appropriate critique. The key word is appropriate. Basically unless you've done it your validity is non-existent when being specifically critical.By that logic, nothing is open to criticism, even when it's completely correct.

I've been to a lot of art museums in my life so far and I can honestly say I don't like a lot of what I see, it just isn't to my liking. That in no way diminishes it's relevance, how important or how good it is. Who am I to judge that? Except for a few college classes I haven't spent much time as an artist so I'm not verse in the finer details of art (it's making, history, presentation, etc.)."I don't like it" is not a valid criticism, it's merely a statement of opinion.

Funny to see you claim that someone liking something you don't care for as having "no value". Really, who are you to say what someone can and can't like? Someone's critique might have no value but their opinion? That's laughable.He says it was good, and that it was fluff, that statement is as hollow as any fluff he could reference. I like nitrogen, so what? Being fluff is not interchangeable for claiming it's good.

There are quite a lot of things in pop culture that are liked despite being discarded by the critics. As much as I'm a stickler for accuracy in most movies there are a few exceptions that I just can't judge so harshly as they are just fun to watch. Recently the American Treasure movies did that for me. The plot in both were completely absurd but I really got a kick out of the movies and just sat back and really enjoyed them. The same can be said for nearly every movie of the 80's I liked growing up, like Commando for example.Yes, there are varying degrees of entertainment, but backing up a claim of quality with the excuse that it's supposed to be hollow is too thin. One can enjoy being poked with needles I suppose, that doesn't make it good though.

This is probably one of the worst things I've seen written on this forum. Where do you park your high horse at night? How someone lives their lives doesn't exclude their opinions. Claiming personal hardship doesn't give someone's thoughts more importance either. "I walked uphill both ways to schooll...blah, blah, blah."First off, I didn't claim personal hardship, I merely stated that folks like me and Rocketboy have to work to pay our bills which takes away from the time we might otherwise use to do things like creating books and scripts.

Secondly, he took 2 shots with "How come people that are such huge critics don't ever write their own stuff if they think they know how to do it better?" and "JediTricks' criticisms (when are his and Rocketboy's award-winning novels or screenplays coming out by the way? I'd love to see what their presumed intellect can produce. :rolleyes: )" yet because you agree with Tycho's interpretation that objective analysis of this program can only be performed by those who have written, directed, started in, and produced television shows similar to Knight Rider, you find my statement distasteful. Like many people, I don't have the means to house and feed me while I take time off to make the next great screenplay, but his opinion was only from his point of view while both ignoring other POVs and criticizing them. I pointed out something entirely true and something - something, I might add, that he and I have discussed in the past. So chastise me if you wish, but I stand by my statement and if I had said the exact same thing to someone else, you would have said nothing - he revealed my more directed meaning meant for him personally, it was not I. And moreover, he even agreed with me when he said "But yes, it does afford me the time to write" because what I said was not false. But I guess we all have a lot of high horses around here.

Tycho
02-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks for your consideration of my POV, Exhaust Port. :thumbsup:

Play a video game online with chat feature, that kills epic amounts of time.

I'd much rather write. It is an incredible challenge (sort of like defeating a video game I imagine) to work an outline into interaction between a developed, ensemble cast of characters and their environment - all of which you create.

When it's historical fiction and set in a real place that actually exists, you have that much more information to correlate and "get right."

I just can't play video games. Besides first-person ones make me dizzy (I can only play flight simulators or 3rd person stuff like the old Atari Pitfall which takes a side view of things on the game board and doesn't run you head-on through the environment).

Topping that off, the games are someone else's world. I like playing in my own.

Transformers is an exception because I can turn into a car or chopper (Blackout) and play in a pattern that doesn't make me dizzy. I also used to play Rogue Squadron, as you might expect of a guy named "Tycho." I'm a pretty decent pilot ;)

But anyway, this is a thread about Knight Rider, not "why I won't play video games."

plasticfetish
02-19-2008, 12:37 AM
The long and the short of it: The old show was garbage, but fun, and this new show is garbage, but fun. Val Kilmer doing the voice of KITT is hilarious. Pontiacs have been cr*p since '70, so it's no big loss that KITT's a Mustang now. And seeing "the Hoff" at the end of the show was a high point for low points in the history of television.

JediTricks
02-19-2008, 12:44 AM
I'd much rather write. It is an incredible challenge (sort of like defeating a video game I imagine) to work an outline into interaction between a developed, ensemble cast of characters and their environment - all of which you create.You're already writing though. My point was instead of using your non-writing time to watch "fluff", you could be playing video games online and losing yourself in that, it's playing a game AND it's live chat, you'd love that. I've been in some SW Battlefront rooms where they're shooting each other point blank while talking about their republican viewpoints, you'd love having your say. The PS3 can modify your voice for added anonymity. :D

I just can't play video games. Besides first-person ones make me dizzy (I can only play flight simulators or 3rd person stuff like the old Atari Pitfall which takes a side view of things on the game board and doesn't run you head-on through the environment). SW BF2 is 3rd person (you can switch it to 1st, nobody does). You could get into an MMORPG, a lot of those don't need thumb-skills.

Topping that off, the games are someone else's world. I like playing in my own.Says the man who willingly wants to spend another 13 to 22 hours in that awful Knight Rider TV movie's world. ;)

But anyway, this is a thread about Knight Rider, not "why I won't play video games."There's never been a good KR game, there's been a bad one for NES, and a couple attempts at superior computer games that never made it to release - they apparently ran out of money. Honestly, it's hard to make a good KR game because the concept is a little limited.

figrin bran
02-19-2008, 01:20 AM
I forgot to tune in last night because I was caught up in looking at all the Toyfair photos and perhaps I might be the better for missing out? ;)

DarthBrandon
02-19-2008, 05:29 PM
1) Thanks, I'm glad to see I'm not the only sane one out there. I wrote that right after watching the tape, and I could barely stomach finishing the tape.

Yeah, I could barely watch it at all, I must have changed channels at least 100 times to find something better to watch. In the end it was the only thing on & it was a giant pile of poo IMHO.

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 01:28 AM
I forgot to tune in last night because I was caught up in looking at all the Toyfair photos and perhaps I might be the better for missing out? ;)
You should watch just to know what the hate is about, plus it's almost cathartic to share the misery.

decadentdave
02-20-2008, 01:42 AM
I want to hear K.I.T.T. not Kilmer.

Was the Hoff inebriated during his cameo?

When did they turn this show into Baywatch Knight Rider?

Jedi_Kal-El
02-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that the Hoff checked himself into rehab yet again. Must of depressed him that he lent himself to 5 minutes of crap. Wasn't his first time either.

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I heard they tried to send him to rehab, and he said, "No, no, no!"

(Unfunny Amy Winehouse jokes never get old.)

Jedi_Kal-El
02-20-2008, 02:47 PM
He said it into his watch.

Tycho
02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
No, the funny part was before that. When David Hasselhoff went to his favorite pub and said, "Bartender I need a turbo boost!"

Jedi_Kal-El
02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
No, the funny part was before that. When David Hasselhoff went to his favorite pub and said, "Bartender I need a turbo boost!"

Sad part is I can picture him drunk at the bar, talking into his watch saying "KITT, I need ya buddy!!!" America has got talent indeed.

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I think it's our duty as Americans to pay tribute to the man by buying him a watch that responds in KITT's voice.

Exhaust Port
02-22-2008, 12:52 PM
By that logic, nothing is open to criticism, even when it's completely correct.

How can you know if it's "completely correct" if you aren't involved or connected to the topic? Unless you walk a mile in their shoes.... Can you say your doctor is completely wrong when you've never studied medicine? Is a lawyer completely wrong if you've never studied law?

Feel free to tell us what you do for a living and then we could trust your criticisms in those appropriate fields as they would be from an industry expert.

First off, I didn't claim personal hardship, I merely stated that folks like me and Rocketboy have to work to pay our bills which takes away from the time we might otherwise use to do things like creating books and scripts.

Ok, so you and Rocketboy have to work to pay your bills. What do the rest of us do then? By the mere fact that you made a point of it is a veil thin attempt to draw attention to your situation. You originally stated your hardship only to cast someone else's situation in a poor light. Plus, that's your excuse for not doing something? I know my argument would be a bit more valid if I was a ________ but I can't do that because I'm too busy working for a living? You make is sound like the only reason you aren't a novelist is because you have a day job. That kind of trivializes the work of real writers if you believe that the rest of society is only a few hours a way each day from being able to write a book. Yeah, if I didn't have this job I would probably be a great sculptor no matter how hard it is. :tired:

Secondly, he took 2 shots with "How come people that are such huge critics don't ever write their own stuff if they think they know how to do it better?" and "JediTricks' criticisms (when are his and Rocketboy's award-winning novels or screenplays coming out by the way? I'd love to see what their presumed intellect can produce. :rolleyes: )" yet because you agree with Tycho's interpretation that objective analysis of this program can only be performed by those who have written, directed, started in, and produced television shows similar to Knight Rider, you find my statement distasteful.

He took 2 shots? How about your unprovoked comments you made after his initial post?

You clearly have no taste whatsoever. You are incapable of any sense of discrimination and are willing to stomach any poison if it's wrapped in even the cheapest candy.

While all he did was state he enjoyed the show you took the time to blast his own opinions. Nothing makes someone sound like a bigger pompous donkey than attacking someone else's opinion of art/media. Do you go to the local art exhibit to point and laugh at all the "common folk" who attend to look at the art too?

So chastise me if you wish, but I stand by my statement and if I had said the exact same thing to someone else, you would have said nothing

Do you know even know me? Yet you are quite sure of how I would act/react aren't you. I have no allegiance to anyone here, I don't know anyone personally. I just find it disappointing that someone would stoop to bad mouthing someone's opinion so blatantly and do so by claiming a financial disadvantage.

decadentdave
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Wow, when did this thread go from a Hoff-roast to a ****ing contest?

Jedi_Kal-El
02-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Damn, when did I miss the first bell?

Mad Slanted Powers
02-22-2008, 07:21 PM
This drooling idiot enjoyed the show. :crazed:

UKWildcat
02-22-2008, 07:57 PM
My point was merely that GM has more options, Ford has exactly 1.

I understand. I just felt like debunking a few of those options. ;)

The Solstice is a redress of the Sky, which is a design Saturn bought from a UK car company that decided not to go forward on it. The current GTO is an eyesore though, that is one of the saddest things ever, it's like Pontiac has no idea how miserable their cars look, the brand is totally without direction.

I really don't mind the Solstice and Sky, for what they are worth. They are nice little convertibles. Much better than that damn Miata. The GXP and Redline versions are significant improvements over the base models too.

I will agree 100% with you on the GTO. It basically looks like any other Pontiac (which isn't great, as you mentioned) but with a fancy hood scoop and some effects. The LS2 Corvette engine is pretty bangin' though. But what I was getting at was, as far as price, power and equivalence goes, it would have made for a better new KITT than either of the aforementioned cars, especially given some modifications (exterior mainly).

The XLR would have been almost too futuristic I suppose, that thing definitely stands out in today's US sports cars. But you know what would have salvaged sales? Appearing as KITT in Knight Rider. :p

Good point. lol

I'm not a Ford fan in general, they have little attractive right now (the rebadged Taurus is the funniest thing ever, the ugly 500 is now the ugly, overpriced Taurus, way to go Ford!) and the cars aren't really built to last, they have 4 smaller pieces doing the job of 1 for enhanced breakability. I don't hate though, the Mustang looks ok-ish (I really grew bored with the last 2 generations of Mustang), but Ford offers nothing really exciting. Loved the Ford GT though, that was hot buttered gold - naturally they discontinued it.

Yeah, most of what Ford has out now isn't all that great. I will definitely agree with you there. Although I do love the new Mustangs, which I'm sure you know by now. And I'm with you, I wasn't a big fan of the previous generation Mustangs that much either, with exception to the Cobra and of course the Roush and Saleen mods (mainly because of power and exterior reasons). But when the Fifth Gen. style was unveiled, I immediately fell in love. Of course one day, if I ever have the time (and extra money), I would love to get a '67 Fastback and completely restore it. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
02-22-2008, 09:55 PM
This drooling idiot enjoyed the show. :crazed:

I never said I really hated it MSP, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the original.

JediTricks
02-22-2008, 11:31 PM
How can you know if it's "completely correct" if you aren't involved or connected to the topic? Unless you walk a mile in their shoes.... Can you say your doctor is completely wrong when you've never studied medicine? Is a lawyer completely wrong if you've never studied law?I didn't say I was completely correct, I said by your logic, even if a criticism were completely correct you're saying it would not be valid. Doctors and lawyers are mistaken all the time, sometimes they can be corrected by laypeople, I just took my 3rd trip to my grandmother's lawyer because he drafted a paper we needed incorrectly twice before.

Feel free to tell us what you do for a living and then we could trust your criticisms in those appropriate fields as they would be from an industry expert.I never presented my criticisms as anything more than that of a layperson, nor did I ask you to trust my criticisms.

Ok, so you and Rocketboy have to work to pay your bills. What do the rest of us do then? By the mere fact that you made a point of it is a veil thin attempt to draw attention to your situation.You're inventing things, what I said is "Not all of us have trust funds that let us do whatever we want, some of us have to spend the majority of our time making ends meet." That doesn't speak of any hardship.

You originally stated your hardship only to cast someone else's situation in a poor light.Again, this is fantasy on your part, nowhere did I state anything of the sort, I insinuated it to Tycho, and while he "outed" my personal comment to him, he also agreed with me. He is the one who cast the comparison by his suggestion.

Plus, that's your excuse for not doing something? I know my argument would be a bit more valid if I was a ________ but I can't do that because I'm too busy working for a living? You make is sound like the only reason you aren't a novelist is because you have a day job. That kind of trivializes the work of real writers if you believe that the rest of society is only a few hours a way each day from being able to write a book. Yeah, if I didn't have this job I would probably be a great sculptor no matter how hard it is. :tired:Read into it whatever you want, but I didn't suggest that's all it takes, I just suggested folks like myself don't have a ton of free time to pour into writing a novel at whim as Tycho suggested merely because I posted a criticism of a BAD tv movie online. I spend my work time writing (which is pretty much whenever since I freelance) and am too burned out from the process afterwards to also take it up as a secondary endeavor.

He took 2 shots? How about your unprovoked comments you made after his initial post?How do you call that "unprovoked" when they came in response to them?

While all he did was state he enjoyed the show you took the time to blast his own opinions. Nothing makes someone sound like a bigger pompous donkey than attacking someone else's opinion of art/media. Do you go to the local art exhibit to point and laugh at all the "common folk" who attend to look at the art too?Again, you are reading something into it that isn't there. First off, Tycho knows when I'm goofing with him, it's part of our repertoire, part of our conversational style. I took my comment to the extreme, he made an argument that it was good merely because he liked it as fluff, I felt that's not a valid argument for why it was good. I like a lot of crappy hollywood product, but that doesn't make it good, it just makes it something I like.

Do you know even know me? Yet you are quite sure of how I would act/react aren't you. I have no allegiance to anyone here, I don't know anyone personally. I just find it disappointing that someone would stoop to bad mouthing someone's opinion so blatantly and do so by claiming a financial disadvantage.Clearly I don't, as I didn't realize you'd completely miscast my comments in such a manner as they were not written, for example, nowhere do I claim I'm at financial disadvantage, I merely pointed out that folks like myself don't have the kind of financial security to spend large amounts of time writing, yet you continuously cast my comments in that negative light.

This drooling idiot enjoyed the show. :crazed:What did you find positive about it? Did it keep you drooling for the whole 2 hours? ;) (That was a Tycho-inspired question, it seemed like something he'd respond with :p)

I understand. I just felt like debunking a few of those options. ;)Well, by all means.

I really don't mind the Solstice and Sky, for what they are worth. They are nice little convertibles. Much better than that damn Miata. The GXP and Redline versions are significant improvements over the base models too.I love how the Solstice & Sky look actually, didn't like how they fit my big butt though, not so comfy. I like the new Miata too though, completely restyled, and renamed just "MX-5" (yay! My car is the MX-6 from its non-suck period), but it's nowhere near as sexy as the Sky or Solstice. Neither is the BMW Z3 but that thing's still fairly popular around here (I like the Z8 and Z4, but the Z3 is incredibly plain) - somehow, having KITT as a German car might be too much Bavarianess from Knight Rider (it made Hoff a star in Germany).

I will agree 100% with you on the GTO. It basically looks like any other Pontiac (which isn't great, as you mentioned) but with a fancy hood scoop and some effects. The LS2 Corvette engine is pretty bangin' though. But what I was getting at was, as far as price, power and equivalence goes, it would have made for a better new KITT than either of the aforementioned cars, especially given some modifications (exterior mainly).Well, I see what you mean, but they stopped making it about 2 years ago, so there's no financial inducement there. The car's chassis is a modified Australian sedan, kinda boring, not really sporty, but yeah, that's a hot motor to put in it, I can see why it was redressed to act as the Camaro in Transformers. If they had redressed it better and made a bigger deal out of the fact that it had that the Corvette engine under the hood, I bet they'd have seen a lot more sales.

Yeah, most of what Ford has out now isn't all that great. I will definitely agree with you there. Although I do love the new Mustangs, which I'm sure you know by now. And I'm with you, I wasn't a big fan of the previous generation Mustangs that much either, with exception to the Cobra and of course the Roush and Saleen mods (mainly because of power and exterior reasons). But when the Fifth Gen. style was unveiled, I immediately fell in love. Of course one day, if I ever have the time (and extra money), I would love to get a '67 Fastback and completely restore it. :thumbsup:My mother's neighbor had one of the previous-gen Bullitt Mustangs, that was the only Mustang of that era I really noticed (he had a classic Viper before that, he won it, I was sooooo jealous). BTW, my car, the Mazda MX-6, was built in the US by Ford in a joint venture, it's largely a 2nd gen Ford Probe but with Mazda tweaks to improve performance and remove the suck factor.

I never said I really hated it MSP, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the original.I think he's referring to my statement that just because it was better than staring at the wall and drooling for 2 hours didn't mean much. :p But I could be wrong.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Too many quotes, on quotes, on quotes in here. I'm too lazy to read it all. :dead:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-23-2008, 12:19 AM
What did you find positive about it? Did it keep you drooling for the whole 2 hours? ;) (That was a Tycho-inspired question, it seemed like something he'd respond with :p)I guess I just like this sort of show. I watched the original series, and was interested in seeing this version. Once watching it, I was just along for the ride wanting to find out how it turned out. I guess I just don't get disappointed with shows or movies as often as some people here, because I only watch something if it interests me, and I don't get too nit-picky about details. It wasn't anything special, but I'd rather watch this than most reality programming, or a lot of other shows that are popular or critically acclaimed. Some shows get a lot of praise and may be good, but they may not interest me. I don't have HBO, but even if I did, I wouldn't have been interested in The Sopranos. I still haven't seen The Godfather. I might watch the latter someday, but that sort of thing just doesn't interest me much. There are a lot of Oscar nominated films over the years that have sounded good, but they were often not something I would normally watch and I just don't go to the theaters or rent movies much, so I haven't seen them.

I think he's referring to my statement that just because it was better than staring at the wall and drooling for 2 hours didn't mean much. :p But I could be wrong.You are correct sir.

El Chuxter
02-23-2008, 01:08 AM
What do the rest of us do then?
Given the way this conversation has turned, you wouldn't believe me in a million years if I told you.

Exhaust Port
02-23-2008, 09:16 AM
I didn't say I was completely correct, I said by your logic, even if a criticism were completely correct you're saying it would not be valid. Doctors and lawyers are mistaken all the time, sometimes they can be corrected by laypeople, I just took my 3rd trip to my grandmother's lawyer because he drafted a paper we needed incorrectly twice before.

That's exactly what I said. How can someone even know if their criticism is completely correct if they aren't schooled in the topic at hand? Saying a ballerina fell is a statement of the obvious. Saying a ballerina is bad because she fell is an unjust criticism if you aren't a dancer. Lawyers and doctors are wrong all the time but that doesn't make them a bad lawyer or doctor. My wife and other friends work in ER's which gives quite an insight to what makes a bad doctor, and it isn't quite what some "layman" would be able to notice.

How do you call that "unprovoked" when they came in response to them?

You're right, you were clearly provoked and justly defending your honor when Tycho said:

It was a lot of fun.

Given the way this conversation has turned, you wouldn't believe me in a million years if I told you.

Maybe but I've seen a lot in my years. I've seen friends work charity poker events and another who's never had to work a day in his life. It takes all kinds to make this world go 'round. :)

JediTricks
02-23-2008, 05:12 PM
It wasn't anything special, but I'd rather watch this than most reality programmingMost of that, I really would prefer to stare at the wall and drool for hours on end.

I still haven't seen The Godfather.I found it modestly overrated, but still a fairly interesting movie. I used to avoid stuff like that, but more recently realized it's worth giving some things a chance - it was a lot easier when my cable company had TCM on analog cable, that channel showed a lot of great stuff for free.

I might watch the latter someday, but that sort of thing just doesn't interest me much. There are a lot of Oscar nominated films over the years that have sounded good, but they were often not something I would normally watch and I just don't go to the theaters or rent movies much, so I haven't seen them. I don't generally go for those films either, and have been disappointed by the ones I did check out later. My tastes are generally pretty mainstream and lowbrow by comparison to the voting members of the AMPAS. Anything with Tom Hanks or Robin Williams in a serious role usually rubs me the wrong way - not that Tom Hanks isn't a very good serious actor, but I just don't care for those types of movies, Philadelphia and Forrest Gump are perfect examples.

Given the way this conversation has turned, you wouldn't believe me in a million years if I told you.Hutt hair stylist?

Saying a ballerina fell is a statement of the obvious. Saying a ballerina is bad because she fell is an unjust criticism if you aren't a dancer. Lawyers and doctors are wrong all the time but that doesn't make them a bad lawyer or doctor. My wife and other friends work in ER's which gives quite an insight to what makes a bad doctor, and it isn't quite what some "layman" would be able to notice.Nowhere did I say that the ballerina or the doctor or the lawyer WAS bad for the mistake.

You're right, you were clearly provoked and justly defending your honor when Tycho said:

It was a lot of fun.No, because that was an earlier part of the conversation, my reply to that was one that stemmed from the nearly year-long conversation about the Transformers movie, one for which he punished me in person by forcing me to sit through it again. :p So, if you want to find the start point to that, you may need to go back 2 years from when he first started on that tangent, part of which is the previous Transformers thread that the system glitched out of existence, part of which exists only in personal correspondence between he and I, and part of which exists only in telephone and in-person conversations. Good luck Mr Phelps, this tape will self-destruct in five seconds.

PS - Michael Bay, Michael Bay, how would Michael Bay have made this better? Michael Bay. Awesome. Michael Bay! :D

Tycho
02-23-2008, 06:18 PM
PS - Michael Bay, Michael Bay, how would Michael Bay have made this better? Michael Bay. Awesome. Michael Bay! :D

YEAH! Michael Bay!!! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-15-2008, 06:46 PM
I just got an email from NBC PR about the Knight Rider panel at SDCC, and apparently, the "Attack" mode car from the movie has been replaced with a new design which they'll be unveiling on Friday. It'll actually be outside of the con, at 5th ave and L st, at 11 in the morning, and will have 2 of the stars and the producer.

Tycho
07-15-2008, 08:13 PM
I saw the Comic Con thing and I marked it on my calendar as an event (which ironically doesn't conflict with other things I want to do at the Con).

It's 11:45 am in Hall H on Thursday.

Check that: It does conflict. SideShow Collectibles is doing a whole presentation at 12 noon in Room 2. Some of that might be Star Wars.

In any event, I was deciding to boycott that because KITT is a darn Mustang in this re-envisioned future. KITT is NOT a Mustang! In the absence of a 2009 TransAm, they could have done a black Camaro, or gone to a Corvette.

The Mustang is just the wrong kind of car for the character. I'm not sure how the rest of it will play out. The "no guns thing" for the hero that also characterized the '80's Michael Knight also bugged me. I want something darker, more violent.

And now with live-action Transformers every other year, KITT doesn't have the staying power he used to either. Not in the face of Optimus Prime!

I may very well be best off pretending this show is not happening. Knight Rider is a fond memory from my childhood in the '80's. I think I might leave that one there.

JediTricks
07-15-2008, 09:20 PM
According to this press release, it's on the street, "near The Tin Fish restaurant", 11am - 12pm.

BTW, http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=600708#post600708

Tycho
07-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Like I've never seen a Mustang before. [yawn]

JediTricks
07-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Heh heh, ouch! Should be the tagline for the show. :p

Tycho
07-16-2008, 11:09 PM
This rehashing of old ideas because of the lack of originality will one day go too far.

I can see it now:

"The Cosby Show: The Next Generation," starring Will Smith as Bill Cosby.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-16-2008, 11:17 PM
This rehashing of old ideas because of the lack of originality will one day go too far.

I can see it now:

"The Cosby Show: The Next Generation," starring Will Smith as Bill Cosby.There was that other Cosby series several years later that had Phylicia Rashad as his wife again, and also starred Doug E. Doug.

JediTricks
07-17-2008, 09:20 PM
That would be the creatively-titled "Cosby". Short-lived.

The problem is that you can only eat ideas so far before it becomes a waste, a joke. Mission Impossible, the cartoon, based on Mission Impossible, the movie, based on Mission Impossible, the TV series. Stargate tried that, cartoon sucked.