PDA

View Full Version : Action features? 7.99 a figure?

Battle Droid
02-14-2008, 06:59 PM
STAR WARS 3 ” CLONE WARS BASIC FIGURES
(Approximate Retail Price: $7.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: July 26, 2008)

In July, Star Wars fans will be introduced to the first new wave of characters based on STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS. Each figure has an exciting action feature. In 2008, a total of 28 different action figures will be launched.

PASS!

Jedi_Kal-El
02-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Saw that coming.:mad:

Droid
02-14-2008, 08:42 PM
TWENTY-EIGHT? How many figures from the original trilogy are we getting?

Oh wait, if they make Yarna I'd don't care and wont' complain about anything.

But they better make Yarna!

Kidhuman
02-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Man 8 bucks a pop is goingto be rough. I dont know if its a good move or not.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-14-2008, 09:03 PM
When I started collecting in 1999, figures were $6.99. It's 9 years later, so a $1 more isn't that much different. When you consider that I paid $3.75 to see TPM when it was in the theater, and I paid $6.75 for the last movie I went to, the increase on action figures doesn't seem like too much.

Kidhuman
02-14-2008, 09:06 PM
When they sold action feature figures in ROTS for under 5 bucks, this is a jump.

figrin bran
02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm not so keen on the action features. Then again, "super articulation" on the ROTS #41 clone was considered an action feature so I hope the definition is a really liberal one.

Maradona
02-14-2008, 10:45 PM
ACTION FEATURES!?!?! Animated, articulated figures I can maybe deal with, but action features? The more I learn about the line, the more likely I am to divert my $$ in the direction of extra AT-TEs. Hopefully feaures is something like removable helmets or armor and not "lightsaber slashing" or "quick draw" action, but realize it will be a combination of both. Can't wait to hear them justify this in Q&As.

jedi master sal
02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Hmm, okay let's see:

$7.99 (up a dollar)
Action features
Animated style or Hybrid style

SUCK SUCK and SUCK!

I'll pass and use the money for more AT-TEs and/or Halo toys.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind Hasbro.

Even if these are realistic style, the price hike AND action features are enough to kill it for me. Only if they are realistic and I can get them on clearance....

DarkJedi5
02-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Hmm, okay let's see:

$7.99 (up a dollar)
Action features
Animated style or Hybrid style

SUCK SUCK and SUCK!

I'll pass and use the money for more AT-TEs and/or Halo toys.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind Hasbro.

Even if these are realistic style, the price hike AND action features are enough to kill it for me. Only if they are realistic and I can get them on clearance....

AMEN! Stupid Hasbro....

Maradona
02-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Silly Hasbro, tricks are for kids...

Jedi_Kal-El
02-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Silly Hasbro, tricks are for kids...

....and unsuspecting parents who don't know any better.

bigbarada
02-15-2008, 02:34 PM
I think I'm going to go to the bank right now and pull out 20 bucks, because from the looks of things, that's going to be my action figure budget for 2008.:D

(Assuming the Yarna rumors are true of course.)

Jedi_Kal-El
02-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I think I'm going to go to the bank right now and pull out 20 bucks, because from the looks of things, that's going to be my action figure budget for 2008.:D

(Assuming the Yarna rumors are true of course.)

Your budget looks a bit bigger than mine at this point BB. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Is it $7.99 for the Clone Wars figs only or for all figs coming out this year? If it's the clone wars, no problem for me cuz I'm passing on that line (sorry to all you folks who are getting it though, that's rough on the wallet/purse) but they better NOT do action features on the TAC line...SAGA line comes to mind and yuck, just yuck! And the price better NOT be $7.99 for them either, otherwise, I'll be skipping on lots of those as well! Rather concentrate on GG instead!

Kidhuman
02-15-2008, 03:27 PM
I am seriously thinking on passing on most of the CW line because of the price. Depending on how cartoony the figs are, it might be all of them.

jedi master sal
02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I am seriously thinking on passing on most of the CW line because of the price. Depending on how cartoony the figs are, it might be all of them.

Agreed KH.

I wonder if Hasbro has taken notice of all the b*tchn and moaning about this.

For all we know, we could be wrong about the figs being animated, but don't you think it might be an honorable thing to for them to just flat out tell us yes or no, instead of making us painstakingly wait for a toy convention that next to none of us get to go to? It really wouldn't matter though. If the figs are animated style, then it's WAY to late to change them. But really if they ARE realistic, then why not say so and allay much of the collecting communities fears? I feel like this is going to be one big Yarna/Crispy Lars April fools joke all over again.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-15-2008, 06:08 PM
$7.99 isn't necessarily the price you'll end up paying in stores, though; that's apparently Hasbro's suggestion and stores set their own (which, though, could very well be $7.99, depending on where you go). And the ROTS line also had action features that weren't as horrible as the 2002/2003 ones; the term can also mean a number of things.

I don't mean to be some kind of eternal optimist, but we'll just wait and see, I guess.

jedi master sal
02-15-2008, 11:04 PM
$7.99 isn't necessarily the price you'll end up paying in stores, though; that's apparently Hasbro's suggestion and stores set their own (which, though, could very well be $7.99, depending on where you go). And the ROTS line also had action features that weren't as horrible as the 2002/2003 ones; the term can also mean a number of things.

I don't mean to be some kind of eternal optimist, but we'll just wait and see, I guess.

Why you, you...eternal optimist. Damn you, damn you to hell....or not, heh heh.

pegger
02-16-2008, 09:26 AM
We pay 9.99 a fig - plus 15% tax in Canada...And our dollar is at par now.

I WISH we had your problems.... (SW wise - I wouldn't want this thread to end up in the Rancor Pit)

Action features don't make me happy. Depending on how cartoony they are will be next hit. I can't wait for photos to start showing up.

Oh, and I'm STILL getting the Wave 3 figs that were pushed back into the CW line.

pegger
02-16-2008, 02:22 PM
OK - saw pics.

They suck. Easy pass. The only 2 I *may* consider getting are the Battle Droid and R2-D2. (And the previously mentioned wave 3 figs)

Sinscia Fat'o
02-16-2008, 05:27 PM
OK - saw pics.

They suck. Easy pass. The only 2 I *may* consider getting are the Battle Droid and R2-D2. (And the previously mentioned wave 3 figs)

The battle droid doesn't look bad, he's actually acceptable, the R2 is decent and could fit into collections rather easy...and then there's Grievious i want to see him in person before i pass on this one, but the rest of them are rather....well they suck.

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 06:14 PM
The price hike in '99 was a $2 jump in response to the new movie's assumed popularity and the gigantic chunk of change they paid Lucas for the new license. '99 is the year that nearly put Hasbro into bankruptcy with poor sales. Eventually, they reduced the MSRP to $4.99 in response to that, and sales picked up again. With ROTS, the MSRP went to $5.99, but a price-war dropped prices at the big retailers lower. Then with the TSC line came the new $6.99 MSRP and that's where we've been since.

$7.99 is outrageous for a small figure with only a few little accessories, they have some nerve.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Prices for lots of things are going up. A lot of it has to do with the price of oil. That increases the cost to ship things. If there are petroleum products used in the making of the figure as well, that would add to it.

The head of the company I work for was talking about how the next couple years could be difficult with the way the economy is going. He was talking about how there have been some big price increases, and a lot of it was due to rising fuel costs. Some of it was due to the cost of some raw materials. He said the company would try to absorb as much of those costs as possible, but in the end, some of it is going to be passed on to the consumer.

I think $7.99 for an action figure is a better investment than what people pay for their Starbucks or whatever they pay for a pack of smokes these days. Since I buy neither of those, I can afford to put that money towards figures.

jedi master sal
02-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Animated! Dang... Well now I'm in a quandry. I've said I won't buy these, but I just realized that the Clone Wars figures won't be done and over in 2008. If LFL has their way the show will go for at least 100 episodes. So that means this line could last for YEARS! So I'm goig to have to make a serious decision about these. Do I or don't I. If I get them, I know I'll most likely be POed if Hasbro turns around and makes realistic version. If I don't get them, then I'll be paranoid thinking Hasbro may NOT make them in realistic fashion. Strange I know.

As I mentioned all of this another thread alreayd, I do dig the clone and the battle droid is actually much better than expected. However, I also know that if I got them, I would feel compelled to get ALL of the characters from this line.

with this line going beyond 2008 for Clone Wars, I think many of us are going to have to take a serious bit of time to decide if we get these or not.

One factor that hasbro should have thought about is that if we collectors don't subscribe to these figures, the decision COULD very well KILL the line.

I REALLY wish Hasbro would have consulted with the major collecting sites before making this decision. I think it's going to bite them in the arse big time, which means it will bite us too.

-Sal

Kidhuman
02-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Well Sal, alot of us here have said we are waiting for the right moment to quit. It seems with the animated figs and price increase it might lead to it. I wonder how much IJ figs are going to be, they are the same size and they also have to pay a fee to Lucas for the license. With a long break and IJ figs coming out, it could break alot of us here of this habit. Hasbro should have thought about this.

Maradona
02-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Well Sal, alot of us here have said we are waiting for the right moment to quit. It seems with the animated figs and price increase it might lead to it. I wonder how much IJ figs are going to be, they are the same size and they also have to pay a fee to Lucas for the license. With a long break and IJ figs coming out, it could break alot of us here of this habit. Hasbro should have thought about this.

"They tried to make me go to rehab, but i said no no no!"

figrin bran
02-16-2008, 10:29 PM
I kind of like these figures! I could do without the blast effect features though. I'll definitely army build a few of the clones and battle droids. And yes, I loved the previous animated Clone Wars line.

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 12:59 AM

Well having already decided not to buy IJ figs, and cutting my SW budget in half was giving me back some of my funds. Not buying the animated figs could save me a good chuck of change over the years. (because we all know this sub-line isn't going to stop after 2008)

I won't be quitting, but it looks like there will be a serious downward trend. Not just me either, MANY other collectors.

figrin bran
02-17-2008, 01:40 AM
I won't be quitting, but it looks like there will be a serious downward trend. Not just me either, MANY other collectors.

I'll make up for you guys by army building the animated clones :p

Deoxyribonucleic
02-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Well having already decided not to buy IJ figs, and cutting my SW budget in half was giving me back some of my funds. Not buying the animated figs could save me a good chuck of change over the years. (because we all know this sub-line isn't going to stop after 2008)

I'm with you and KH on this, but I am not quiting entirely. I will still get cool new OT figs (new sculpts only, no more repacks or repaints) and an occasional comic pack but that's about it. So for me, looks like this year will save me LOTS of money...or I could just spend it at GG :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
02-17-2008, 06:35 AM
I am going to get the movie figs, but :whip: the CW line. It gives more money towards the other sublines like the comic packs and titaniums and GH sets.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm with you guys. While I'm seeing alot that I want this year, I'm also seeing alot that I don't so I'm gonna have some money to focus elswhere. That's a good thing since I started collecting the BSG figures and there's a line coming in May for Smallville. Still with all the vehicles, comic, and evo packs it's going to be a fairly expensive year.

El Chuxter
02-18-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm not quitting, but I'm being a lot more selective. Today I found and picked up Jedi Evolutions and Pax Boknik. I saw and passed on all three of the new comics packs. (Mouse looks so like butt it defies any logic. And his Hare Krishna buddy looks worse.) I'll pass on all the Clonetrooper rehashes, Clone Wars figures, and vehicles. I want a few more of the Evo sets, and some of the upcoming comics sets that involve characters who aren't stupid or Mandaloreans, as well as the ROTJ wave.

Sounds like a lot, but that's all I'm aware of so far that I want.

Considering I've cut out all Marvel figures, am not collecting the Indy figures (until they make me a damned Short Round figure, damn them to damned hell, dammit!!), and am being a lot more selective on the DC figures (I snatched up Penguin, but had the willpower to realize that Metamorpho wasn't worth the $40 extra and passed on the other figures, though Etrigan was tempting), this is going to be a rather inexpensive year for me. The new Joes are all that are really sucking me in, and I've been able to pass on a few of those already (especially that butthead Serpentor).

I've forgotten what that's like. Able to spend my money on "normal people" things. It's a new experience.

JetsAndHeels
02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
That's a good thing since I started collecting the BSG figures and there's a line coming in May for Smallville. Still with all the vehicles, comic, and evo packs it's going to be a fairly expensive year.

You know there was already a smallville line right? Those figs were garbage...I know, I have them!! lol

Its kind of funny to hear some of you say things like "star wars budget"...funny because I used to have one too, then I changed my ways, so to speak. I guess you could say my "budget" for sw nowadays is very, very low...so far this year the only figs I have bought are Jango w/poncho, spirit anakin and holo vader. Three figures since the beginning of 2008..not bad for me, but that means I spend more on stuff like TMNT.

jedi master sal
02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I've forgotten what that's like. Able to spend my money on "normal people" things. It's a new experience.

I hear ya. With cutting my SW budget in half, I'll have some money to do other things. I have diverted a couple hundred of that money to Halo toys, but other than that, I should have approx an extra $2K this year. That is going to be refreshing.

I'm hopeful that I can stick to my long term goal of continual reduction of my SW budget. Next year calls for it to be cut in half again. That may be harder than first though as this year it's going to be a close call on the $3K I've budgeted for SW.

However, I can't think of that much more that Hasbor could make to make me go wowzers over and spend a lot on. So the planed for $1500 budget for 2009 might stick. That would give me that much more money back in my pocket. Then in 2010, I plan on sticking to a "no more than" $600 per year on SW stuff. So by then I'll be putting in approx $5400 back into my wallet, compared to my 2007 budget. That's quite a nice amount and will go a long way towards buying a new home (my next BIG goal).

Kidhuman
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
With the money I saved on SW toys this year, I bought some Doctor Who toys. Its good to have some extra cash

JetsAndHeels
02-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm hopeful that I can stick to my long term goal of continual reduction of my SW budget. Next year calls for it to be cut in half again. That may be harder than first though as this year it's going to be a close call on the $3K I've budgeted for SW.

However, I can't think of that much more that Hasbor could make to make me go wowzers over and spend a lot on. So the planed for $1500 budget for 2009 might stick. That would give me that much more money back in my pocket. Then in 2010, I plan on sticking to a "no more than" $600 per year on SW stuff. So by then I'll be putting in approx $5400 back into my wallet, compared to my 2007 budget. That's quite a nice amount and will go a long way towards buying a new home (my next BIG goal).

You sound like a wall street tycoon!! :)

jedi master sal
02-19-2008, 06:03 PM
You sound like a wall street tycoon!! :)

I don't know if I should feel honored or insulted, heh heh.

Seriously though, I've been planning for this draw down in my budget for a couple of years now.

Now that the time is here, I'm sticking to the plan as much as possible. Hasbro is making it much easier though by some of the stuff they have planned. As well Gentle Giant seems to really be slowing down on mini busts, so I'll save a bunch there to. Thank goodness, because last years Clone Commander$ debacle put off a lot of people.

JON9000
02-19-2008, 06:11 PM
We pay 9.99 a fig - plus 15% tax in Canada...And our dollar is at par now.

That was my thought:

Adjusted for the United States' continually more worthless currency, this isn't a price increase at all, just a reflection of our lousy dollar! Funny how we don't notice until inflation starts to hit home- Star Wars.

Can I be like Giselle and get paid in euros?

If I get them, I know I'll most likely be POed if Hasbro turns around and makes realistic version. If I don't get them, then I'll be paranoid thinking Hasbro may NOT make them in realistic fashion. Strange I know.

They already stated in the Toy Fair Q&A that they are likely going to get a realistic release eventually. And if you miss out at retail and Hasbro punts, almost everything is cheaper on ebay eventually anyway!

Jedi_Kal-El
02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
That was my thought:

Adjusted for the United States' continually more worthless currency, this isn't a price increase at all, just a reflection of our lousy dollar! Funny how we don't notice until inflation starts to hit home- Star Wars.

Can I be like Giselle and get paid in euros?

Well, just about anything you get paid in will be worth more than our almighty dollar. Hmmm, almighty doesn't seem right for it anymore.

Maradona
02-19-2008, 07:46 PM
An important factor in the price increase might be the cost of oil. Plastic, shipping, and so much else require petroleum. It was inevitable with rising oil costs being what they are that the prices of toys would go up.

Marvel Legends went up $2 last year when the line transitioned over to Hasbro. GI JOE is reasonably priced now, but as soon as the GI JOE movie comes out, I suspect their basic figures will go up also. The price is low now since they just reintroduced the line not that many months ago. Once it has caught on, Hasbro will surely, sadly raise the price.

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 03:04 AM
Steve and I talked with Hasbro about the oil aspect, it really doesn't affect the materials directly, they buy in such bulk that it's not such an issue. It's all the transportation costs, boat and truck, and it affects every aspect.

JetsAndHeels
02-20-2008, 03:24 PM
I don't know if I should feel honored or insulted, heh heh.

It was not meant as an insult!! hehe