PDA

View Full Version : Homing Spider Droid!

Battle Droid
02-16-2008, 12:55 PM
:D

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//1562/vspider2.jpg

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Hopefully there's a cockpit in the center a la SW Battlefront II.

jedi master sal
02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Freakin' A! This along with the AT-TE!!! An Army/ship builders dream come true!!!

Hmm, okay now to figure out how many I need...

I know I'll need 3 for Geonosis and 1 for Felucia. Can anyone else think of where else these showed up in the movies at all?

If not, then it looks like 4 for me.

Man, that with 3 AT-APs and 3-5 AT-TEs! Whoo-hoo. An expensive year for vehicles, but a very FUN one!! Thanks Hasbro-just please make these EASY to find!
-Sal

Jedi_Kal-El
02-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Nice! This is one I've been waiting to see for a while. I'll get at least 2. Expensive vehicle year for sure Sal.

jedi master sal
02-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh and looking at the size of that thing, it looks like it COULD hold a figure. For your sake JT I hope it does. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

jedi master sal
02-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Nice! This is one I've been waiting to see for a while. I'll get at least 2. Expensive vehicle year for sure Sal.

Yep! Now if hasbro would make the Droid gunship!
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Droid_gunship

But, yeah, I'm VERY happy for the vehicles in the line this year.MUCH more so than the figures! (Well so far. Toy Fair has just started, so we're bound to see more.)

Kidhuman
02-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Sal, I think they were on Kashyyyk also.

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Oh and looking at the size of that thing, it looks like it COULD hold a figure. For your sake JT I hope it does. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.The Hailfire is big enough to, but they left that unused even though it's in the game as a drivable.

Battle Droid
02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/ToyFair2008/Star_Wars/Clone_Wars_Vehicles/VehiclesSpiderDroid.jpg

:D

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
SSG's coverage of the Clone Wars Vehicles (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=5534)

The Spider Droid is in there. Sadly, it looks as if there's no interior. :ermm:

Battle Droid
02-16-2008, 07:47 PM
It may have messed up the look of it, so I'm glad there's no interior.:razz:

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 07:50 PM
How would it mess up the look of it? It's got a solid sphere for the center, simply put an interior hinge on that so half the ball lifts up and voila, interior cockpit.

Battle Droid
02-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I dunno, but knowing Hasbro they would some way.;)

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Knowing Hasbro, they'll screw it up no matter what. :p

Jargo
02-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I can't help but think of the robot assassin in the Incredibles whenever I see the homing spider droid. a single glowing red eye would make it look just right.

jedi master sal
02-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Sal, I think they were on Kashyyyk also.

If you can post a link showing that form the movie than I'll be down for one more.

Kidhuman
02-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: It states it was in ROTS in the link, but that could be Fellucia. Let me hunt a pic down hopefully.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Homing_spider_droid

2nd Edit: I just popped in ROTS and watched the scene, its the smaller spider droid that is there, not this one.

Snowtrooper
02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Its pretty sweet looking and seems to be the right size. This is going to be a $20 vehicle, right?

jedi master sal
02-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: It states it was in ROTS in the link, but that could be Fellucia. Let me hunt a pic down hopefully.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Homing_spider_droid

2nd Edit: I just popped in ROTS and watched the scene, its the smaller spider droid that is there, not this one.

No worries KH. I knew the Dwarf Spider droid was on Kashyyyk, I didn't recall seeing the Homing Spider droid there.

JediTricks
02-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Its pretty sweet looking and seems to be the right size. This is going to be a $20 vehicle, right?
Yeah, I am pretty sure that's it's pricepoint, along with the V-19.

Kidhuman
02-16-2008, 10:59 PM
No worries KH. I knew the Dwarf Spider droid was on Kashyyyk, I didn't recall seeing the Homing Spider droid there.

I just remember one popping up real quick.

Tycho
02-17-2008, 12:29 AM
I have to say I'm impressed. I heard the rumors that this was coming out and I figured it to be cheaply made, but something I'd buy a few of for my dioramas anyway.

Instead, this looks to be great quality. Nice job, Hasbro!

El Chuxter
02-18-2008, 10:57 PM
First vehicle I've seen in a while that actually is tempting me.

If they'd made this three years ago, I'd have bought it.

Battle Droid
06-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Looks like the Spider's been found!

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/1-08/08CW_HomingSpiderScale_Full.jpg

Tycho
06-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Darn, that's cool! I'm not counting on finding my 4 I plan to buy until July 27 though. At least, I'm not toy hunting. But I look if I happen to have to go to the store as I probably will in the next several days.

Now the Separatists still really need even more firepower:

Droid Gunship (seen on Kashyyyk)
Corporate Alliance Tank Droid (seen on Kashyyyk)

These are the greatest contenders. There are more, but the Tank Droid can make the $20 vehicle assortment. They can kind of underscale the Droid Gunship and get it into the line that way as well - though it might be more accurate if boxed for a $30 pricepoint. But it need not be huge. Something like the MTT would be larger and more expensive to ship / stock in the toy isle (though I'd want that Separatist vehicle as well).

Blue2th
06-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Saw that, like it! It's big! going to need a few of those to take on the AT-TE.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Wow, that looks great! A lot better scale-wise than I originally thought it would. The legs look to be pretty accurate.

Bosskman
06-18-2008, 04:07 AM
Can't wait to get a couple of these guys. Been high on my list since AOTC. Bring on the Tank Droid, Droid Gunship, and more accurate dwarf spider droids.

jedi master sal
06-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Can't wait to get a couple of these guys. Been high on my list since AOTC. Bring on the Tank Droid, Droid Gunship, and more accurate dwarf spider droids.

Agreed. And in the order you placed them.

jedi master sal
07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Hopefully there's a cockpit in the center a la SW Battlefront II.

There is!

http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2008/DSCN3423.jpg

Look closely and you will see that above the sphere it says "Battle Droid figure fits in cockpit. Figure not included."

So you got your wish JT!

I won't use it for that, but it's a nice add on for those who did want it.

-Sal

Tycho
07-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I actually couldn't tell anything from that picture, Sal. I suppose I should have saved it and then "blown it up," but I didn't as the thoughts in my mind were racing.

This is an awesome "vehicle" addition we're getting, and like you I plan to use it as a droid with its own brain, not requiring a pilot. (Who could see it if you placed another Battle Droid in there anyway?)

However, in all the stir and excitement over the Falcon, an AT-TE, and a fighter, the Homing Spider has really been kind of forgotten.

Thank you for reminding us about it, as this will really be an excellent piece. Like you, I'm buying 4 of them! I cannot wait! This is the best thing that's happened for the Separatists since the Hailfire Droid (which over-shadowed the Geonosian Fighter - which we recently chatted about).

The Separatists really have some cool stuff: now for the Droid Gunship and the Tank Droid!

I think Kashyyyk showed the best light on the Separatist hardware, maybe moreso than Geonosis or Utopau. But then again, I'm going "EU" a little and plan to use a Hailfire on Kashyyyk as well - just because I really dig that vehicle.

Blue2th
07-09-2008, 04:43 PM
There is!

Look closely and you will see that above the sphere it says "Battle Droid figure fits in cockpit. Figure not included."

So you got your wish JT!

-Sal
That is cool you can put a droid in there :thumbsup:
It gives it a little more play value.
You would think though that you might have to have earlier versions of the BD or the ones on the STAP with bendable knees.

It's doubtful an ROTS type BD would fit in there and still be able to close the hatch, but I could be wrong.

I plan on getting at least two of these.

Battle Droid
07-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Pic of the cockpit,

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j297/conradmerz/DSCN3434.jpg

Jargo
07-09-2008, 09:10 PM
ewww, nasty paintjob!

Tycho
07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
The cockpit's a cool play feature actually. You can pretend a hero character like a Jedi gets aboard a Homing Spider and takes control of it, that way (if you're going along with the notion that Homing Spiders have their own brains and don't need droid pilots).

That being said, probably only droids with long antennaes (OOM-9) would have difficutly fitting, but most pre-ROTS models had bending knees IIRC.

Geeze I wanted this for a long time!

Now the Droid Gunship and the Tank Droid, Puh-Leese!

The idea of a mechanized, droid army is very cool and Star Wars provides the definitive way to represent it. We're just slowly getting all the pieces. Incidently, there are a lot of different battle droid figures slated to come out for the Clone Wars product line. I'm very curious to see what we're going to get.

Blue2th
07-10-2008, 03:14 AM
The idea of a mechanized, droid army is very cool and Star Wars provides the definitive way to represent it. We're just slowly getting all the pieces. Incidently, there are a lot of different battle droid figures slated to come out for the Clone Wars product line. I'm very curious to see what we're going to get.

Though aren't they in a slightly chunky cartoon style?

Didn't Hasbro mention in the Q&A about a possible re-working of the Battledroid, like they did the Super Battledroid? (realistic) Hopefully that's in the pipe.

I'm glad I still have a lot of Episode 1 Battle Droids with bendable knees.

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 03:15 AM
There is!

So you got your wish JT!

-SalNice find! Good job Hasbro, it makes sense to do it this way, no reason not to.

Kinda sad that it also says "Manually move legs for different attack positions!" twice on the back, as if the thing had so little else to offer. :p I'll be buying it at some point, probably not on Midnight Madness tho', money's tight.

Pic of the cockpit,

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j297/conradmerz/DSCN3434.jpgHuh, not at all what I pictured, but it makes sense. I wonder if the knee thing Blue2th brought up will be an issue here, it could go either way.

I'm excited to be able to have my clone characters hijack a Spider Droid just like in Battlefront II!

Tycho
07-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Though aren't they in a slightly chunky cartoon style?

The only other "droid" army I can think of that's this elaborate, is SkyNet's from Terminator:

you have the Terminator cyborgs, of varying designs, too
the hunter-killer unmanned sky ships
the skull-crusher tanks

You could make a very cool, but "darker" kind of toy line similar to Clone Wars, with the Terminator franchise. I'm sure with T4, T5, and T6 in the works (the Christian Bale movies) - this will become a reality.

The human resistance vehicles will be all battered style cars and trucks with rocket launchers, commandeered military equipment, that sort of thing. They will impress most with their "mangled" paint schemes, but not with their form -opposite with how Star Wars' droid army's enemy has all the cool "clone gear" like AT-TEs and such.

Thus I don't think I'll collect a Terminator toy line again, but I have some McFarlane 7" figures and it might be very tempting.

Other than that, i-Robot sort of has a droid army. Transformers are something pretty much unique to themselves, all the "droids" being characters and such.

Tycho
07-25-2008, 12:40 AM
OK, the Homing Spider Droid is huge and a great value for the $20 vehicle line.

You'd think it was a $30 toy! This will be a great and pleasant surprise for all who plan to buy it! I think this may be the Separatists' best offering, though I'd have to consider that statement carefully. But this is a must-have!

Bosskman
07-25-2008, 04:28 AM
I really hope I find one (maybe 2) tomorrow. I'm really pumped about the HSD. Almost as much as the AT-TE in all seriousness. I've wanted them both since AOTC.

jedi master sal
07-25-2008, 12:32 PM
OK, the Homing Spider Droid is huge and a great value for the $20 vehicle line.

You'd think it was a $30 toy! This will be a great and pleasant surprise for all who plan to buy it! I think this may be the Separatists' best offering, though I'd have to consider that statement carefully. But this is a must-have!

Agreed on it being a must have. It's close enough to scale for me here. It's been a long enough wait on this vehicle/droid. I"ll be glad to finally have it tonight!

jedi master sal
07-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I really hope I find one (maybe 2) tomorrow. I'm really pumped about the HSD. Almost as much as the AT-TE in all seriousness. I've wanted them both since AOTC.

I'm planning on 2 for now but might get three tonight. It just depends on how many of the dupes of figures I can get. I want a total of 4 though.

Also, depending on the dupes, I may get a 2nd AT-TE tonight instead of waiting to get the other 2 I want.

Tycho
07-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Sal, you will NOT be disappointed on any of the vehicles you plan to buy (maybe the V-19 Torrent) but if you got 4 HSD and 2 AT-TEs, you wouldn't regret it.

The quality is so-there that you'd feel like you got your $$$$'s worth.

I'm going to buy all I can tonight and not worry about it for later.

In 5 hours, I'll be riding home with that Millennium Falcon, too!

Bosskman
07-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm really impressed with this bad boy. It's everthing you could ask for and more in such a vehicle. Good articulation, reasonably priced, movie accurate, good size, plus the cockpit that didn't have to be there but is. I'm really wanting to get another one of these guys.....

jedi master sal
07-27-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm really impressed with this bad boy. It's everthing you could ask for and more in such a vehicle. Good articulation, reasonably priced, movie accurate, good size, plus the cockpit that didn't have to be there but is. I'm really wanting to get another one of these guys.....

You summed it up nicely.

I'm VERY happy with this droid/vehicle. I was only going to get 2 to start and then 2 later, but ended up getting 3 on MM. Now that I'm broke for a week after MM, heh heh, I'll have to wait to get the 4th one, but I will.

This is a prime example of quality work for a great price. KUDOS to Hasbro!!

JetsAndHeels
07-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I got one last night, but haven't opened it yet (because I was too busy enjoying the BMF). I will open it tonight, and I expect it will be just as cool as everyone has said so far.

bigbarada
07-31-2008, 11:15 PM
I couldn't stand it any longer, I picked this thing up this evening. I'm very happy with this toy. I loved this droid/vehicle from the moment I saw it in the third trailer for Ep2, so I was afraid that after so many years of waiting the final result would be disappointment. However, this is much higher quality than I was expecting.

It's toys like this one that could make me a full time Star Wars collector again.:thumbsup:

Tycho
08-01-2008, 02:30 AM
YOU bought a prequel toy, BigBarada?

But yes, I agree with you: the Homing Spider is huge for a $20 piece and of very high quality. I'm quite pleased with it, too. It actually stands out in spite of the Falcon and AT-TE releases.

Battle Droid
08-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Picked it up yesterday, I was surprised at how big it is, I love it!:D

Bring on the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid and Droid Gunship! :D

bigbarada
08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
YOU bought a prequel toy, BigBarada?

But yes, I agree with you: the Homing Spider is huge for a $20 piece and of very high quality. I'm quite pleased with it, too. It actually stands out in spite of the Falcon and AT-TE releases.

Yes, I did. I actually like all of the vehicles from the Geonosis Battle. The AT-TE, Homing Spider Droid and Hailfire Droids being my favorite. I also really like the Dwarf Spider Droids, but won't buy the toy until Hasbro remakes it.

Although I'm half tempted to paint a giant Cobra logo on the front of my Homing Spider Droid and use it in my GI Joe display.:D (can you believe that there is only a $5 difference in the prices of these two toys?)

Tycho
08-01-2008, 12:36 PM
The Cobra vehicle costs $5 more or less? It comes with a figure, too, right?

Well Hasbro doesn't have to pay Lucas anything for the Joe toys because Hasbro owns them, like they own Transformers. It's amazing how they made the leap from toy company to MOVIE company. I know they aren't really - but Marvel and DC got into their respective franchises slowly - with radio and TV first, I believe. Hasbro's following suit in some ways.

Meanwhile, with the value in the Homing Spider Droid and for it's affordable price - I bet these things will be flying off the shelves moreso than any of the other craft in its size and price class. People are going to army-build these! I know I bought 4 of them at MM. I'm probably done. I think "less is more" in my dioramas, so Geonosis gets 2, Kashyyyk and Utopau get 1 each. I know they didn't show them on Kashyyyk I think, but until they make the Droid Gunship or Tank Droid, my Separatist Forces are weak there, so I need some CIS firepower, and have an extra Hailfire to use on Kashyyyk as well.

bigbarada
08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
The HISS Tank is $15 with a figure included. If it was a Star Wars vehicle, then it would be $20 because of licensing fees. So it's the GI Joe equivalent of the Star Wars $20 pricepoint vehicle line.

These things are pretty tough to find. It was the only one left at my Wal-Mart, but there are still plenty of all the other $20 vehicles.

And I also believe that "less is more" when it comes to Star Wars collecting. Which is why I'm only buying one.:p

Blue2th
08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
And I also believe that "less is more" when it comes to Star Wars collecting. Which is why I'm only buying one.:p

I'm the same way anymore. I only bought one of each of the Torrent Fighter and the Homing Spider Droid. Already have one of everything else from previous releases.

jedi master sal
08-01-2008, 04:17 PM
The Cobra vehicle costs $5 more or less? It comes with a figure, too, right?

Well Hasbro doesn't have to pay Lucas anything for the Joe toys because Hasbro owns them, like they own Transformers. It's amazing how they made the leap from toy company to MOVIE company. I know they aren't really - but Marvel and DC got into their respective franchises slowly - with radio and TV first, I believe. Hasbro's following suit in some ways.

Meanwhile, with the value in the Homing Spider Droid and for it's affordable price - I bet these things will be flying off the shelves moreso than any of the other craft in its size and price class. People are going to army-build these! I know I bought 4 of them at MM. I'm probably done. I think "less is more" in my dioramas, so Geonosis gets 2, Kashyyyk and Utopau get 1 each. I know they didn't show them on Kashyyyk I think, but until they make the Droid Gunship or Tank Droid, my Separatist Forces are weak there, so I need some CIS firepower, and have an extra Hailfire to use on Kashyyyk as well.

Tycho, you forgot Felucia! There were many on that planet in the background. You should get one at least for that dio.

bigbarada
08-01-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm having trouble keeping my Homing Spider Droid from being taken over by Cobra. I stuck one of the 25th Anniversary Tele-Viper figures inside the cockpit and he fits perfectly! I love this toy, I might buy a second one and repaint it as a Cobra vehicle.:thumbsup:

Tycho
08-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Tycho, you forgot Felucia! There were many on that planet in the background. You should get one at least for that dio.

Fallucia didn't really make any kind of impact on me.

I'm setting up Bly and his troopers, about to betray Aayla Secura, and putting the AT-AP in the background. There will be no Separatist forces in the scene - strictly Order 66 being executed (quite literally). If they make the purple worm, I'll add that. Meanwhile, LATER rather than sooner, I'll figure out how to make the magic mushrooms that give the planet it's alien jungle look. I'll probably work on it immediately after I take a particularly potent dose of my medications my doctor has me on. :crazed: That will undoubtedly help.

bigbarada
08-03-2008, 12:33 AM
I took a couple of photos of the Spider Droid compared side by side with the 2003 Clone Wars Hailfire Droid (whose color scheme is looking somewhat garish nowadays). It's amazing how much smaller the Hailfire Droid looks especially considering that the box it came in is larger than the box for the Homing Spider Droid.

It's good seeing so much of a scale difference in the vehicle sized droids, keeps things visually interesting.

Now we just need a new, non-wind-up Dwarf Spider Droid and the Droid Army will be complete.:pleased:

Battle Droid
08-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I wish they'd rerelease the old Hailfire Droid in those colors, I just have the blue one.

bigbarada
08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I wish they'd rerelease the old Hailfire Droid in those colors, I just have the blue one.

I got this one on Ebay for only $10 a few months back. So, I'd recommend trying that, it's one of those often overlooked items that you can get a great deal on.

Snowtrooper
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I opened this up last night and I'm very pleased with it. Good detailing on the sphere, legs are nice and sturdy, and the cockpit was a nice addition. The size of it was also impressive. Its probably not scale, but its close enough for me.

I never thought Hasbro would make this thing and do it justice. I'd always pictured them making some way undersized deluxe version. Good job Hasbro!!

JediTricks
08-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I picked this up yesterday as a consolation purchase for having a tooth extracted (it broke at comic-con and was unsalvageable) on sale at Target for $17. It's decent, makes me think of my time in SW Battlefront 2 more than anything, and I did get out my lone CW animated clone to use his rocket launcher to take out the leg hub and then jump int the cockpit. I would have liked to have seen a little more range of motion in the legs, and I would like to have tighter rising joints, but it's still pretty nifty and has a sizable footprint because it's so spindly it can get away with it. Not perfect, but pretty fun.