PDA

View Full Version : V-19 Torrent Starfighter

Tycho
02-17-2008, 01:30 AM
This looks pretty cool, too! I wonder how many the cockpit seats? 1 or 2?

Will they re-release the AOTC trooper pilot figures?

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 01:39 AM
1 figure, and BARELY that it appears:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=26443

This thing looked super boring in Steve's shot of their display, at first I thought it was an unfinished prototype:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=26198
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=26199

And it appears the wings go no lower than that, judging by the Hasbro photography (you can see a block on the wing's gutter just barely peeking out)

figrin bran
02-17-2008, 01:43 AM
It really is lackluster and perhaps underscaled. On the Lego thread, I said that I'd probably get Hasbro's V-19 over Lego's but it'll probably be the other way around now.

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 01:50 AM
The LEGO versions' wings are geared to move together, but the set is likely $40. Still, it is more to scale than this Hasbro $20 version. Maybe Hasbro will get it more exciting in time for its release, but I suspect this is kinda it.

Tycho
02-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Why would they bother to make the ship and then make it so you can't deploy the wings correctly?

It doesn't make sense. I believe they just didn't know how to display it correctly - or they did it purposely wrong for some reason someone "intellectualized."

Jedi_Kal-El
02-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Why would they bother to make the ship and then make it so you can't deploy the wings correctly?

It doesn't make sense. I believe they just didn't know how to display it correctly - or they did it purposely wrong for some reason someone "intellectualized."

If that's as far as the wings go, then I may have to pass. I'm really a little baffled at the lack of weathering seeing as how they've loved to paint the crap out of every other vehicle they've done in the past for the most part.
I hope the final version looks better than the one in the photos.

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Maybe the version in the new show only deploys to that range. The cockpit is a totally different shape after all. Still, it seems odd to not at least let it go to that level to pay homage, let it stop at both places.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Maybe the version in the new show only deploys to that range. The cockpit is a totally different shape after all. Still, it seems odd to not at least let it go to that level to pay homage, let it stop at both places.

Maybe, but I just don't like them deployed that way. Doesn't look right.

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 02:28 AM
The funny thing is, for me, I'm not even remotely attached to this ship's design, I never even liked it in the original CW show, but I totally agree that the "wide wing" look doesn't seem right for this.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-17-2008, 02:33 AM
I'll admit it's not my favorite ship either, but I wouldn't mind at least one. I'll have to wait to see on this one though.

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Oh, I'll probably buy it, don't getta me wrongo. I'm just saying I'm not among its vocal proponents.

pegger
02-17-2008, 09:51 AM
I kinda like it - but I do hope thety fix the wing issue.

Remember a couple of years ago when they said they were done with vehicles.

Well, this year appears to be the year of new vehicles.

Tycho
02-17-2008, 12:03 PM
My opinion now is that there's nothing wrong with the wings.

Yes I know that all 3 are supposed to be in a down position, kind of like the lambda class shuttle with the main stabalizer fin beneath the craft.

Here's what I noticed:

Several of the slideshow presentation shots show the ship on a flat surface.

Well it can't stand on those wings in the upside down "v."

A helping hand at Hasbro who might not be familiar with the ship, could have set it up for its display. If they had not seen the Clone Wars on Cartoon Network - they wouldn't know any better.

This ship would require those clear support frames that they sell on Rebelscum to hold it "posed" in the normal flight position. Hasbro didn't have any.

The ship looks larger at a longer wingspan.

In the "V" position, it has a shorter wingspan. The bigger - the better rule might be an operating psychology here.

Hasbro had hung the ship up in their display (by fishing wire?) and the center fin was a convenient place to tie the ship up for them.

I will display mine hanging as well, but take the time to tie the fishing line around the vehicle, not just the stabilizer fin. I suppose if you're making a display of the craft for 1-2 days of Toy Fair instead of years in a private collection, you put less effort into it.

Toy Fair is supposed to be for retail outlets' buyers to see new product being exhibited. Like they wouldn't know who Siri Tachi is, or Droma, they wouldn't have watched Cartoon Network either and know how that ship is supposed to fly.

Snowtrooper
02-17-2008, 02:10 PM
For $20 I'll probably end up buying one of these, but its not one that I'm terribly excited about. As for the issues with it, they may be resolved by the time its actually released.

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 04:33 PM
My opinion now is that there's nothing wrong with the wings.

Yes I know that all 3 are supposed to be in a down position, kind of like the lambda class shuttle with the main stabalizer fin beneath the craft.

Here's what I noticed:

Several of the slideshow presentation shots show the ship on a flat surface.

Well it can't stand on those wings in the upside down "v."Obviously something is "wrong" then because you just pointed out you know it's supposed to be a different way. Your opinion on the matter is besides that matter, wrong and right are not interpretative depending on your point of view in matters of fact. It is incorrectly designed if this is its final design. This is its shape: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:V-19_Torrent_Starfighter.jpg

And like the Imperial Shuttle, when landed, the wings fold up, including the middle wing - that's its f'ing trademark, it completely inverts the middle wing to land. For photography, the Hasbro guys use clear blocks and other such devices to prop up the subjects when they take their shots, then photoshop them out. But the one at Hasbro's display is HANGING, there's no need for such things with that, yet the wings are still in that position.

The ship looks larger at a longer wingspan.

In the "V" position, it has a shorter wingspan. The bigger - the better rule might be an operating psychology here.You're mistaken. While it's wider, the overall silhouette is significantly smaller in height, giving this ship a 2-dimensional feel now.

Hasbro had hung the ship up in their display (by fishing wire?) and the center fin was a convenient place to tie the ship up for them.

Toy Fair is supposed to be for retail outlets' buyers to see new product being exhibited. Like they wouldn't know who Siri Tachi is, or Droma, they wouldn't have watched Cartoon Network either and know how that ship is supposed to fly.Toy Fair is supposed to make product look good so stores will want it, this does not.

Tycho
02-17-2008, 05:01 PM
JT, somewhere in there you missed me speculating that Hasbro forgot to bring anything with which they could prop the ship up so the wings would be in the V-flight position under the craft. So they had to lay it flat.

You also missed my speculation that they tied it up by the center stabalizer fin to hang it, thus that fin couldn't be positioned under the craft.

You didn't take into account that the guy who set up the display could be a complete, dim-witted, low-IQ, ignorant, mentally challenged, door-knob.

It's rare that Hasbro makes an EU vehicles, so this is what could have happened.

pegger
02-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Sounds like an excellent question for the Hasbro Q and A!!!

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 06:03 PM
JT, somewhere in there you missed me speculating that Hasbro forgot to bring anything with which they could prop the ship up so the wings would be in the V-flight position under the craft. So they had to lay it flat.

You also missed my speculation that they tied it up by the center stabalizer fin to hang it, thus that fin couldn't be positioned under the craft.

You didn't take into account that the guy who set up the display could be a complete, dim-witted, low-IQ, ignorant, mentally challenged, door-knob.

It's rare that Hasbro makes an EU vehicles, so this is what could have happened.

No they DIDN'T have to lay it flat. This could have VERY easily been strung up by the center struts. The wings did NOT need to be splayed out as if posing for naught pictures....lol.

Hasbro is not winning too many fans over with teh V-19 yet. They MUST show it in it's proper flight mode. If they don't or can't because it's not designed to do that, then this particular ship is doomed to fail before they even make it.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-17-2008, 06:10 PM
No they DIDN'T have to lay it flat. This could have VERY easily been strung up by the center struts. The wings did NOT need to be splayed out as if posing for naught pictures....lol.

Hasbro is not winning too many fans over with teh V-19 yet. They MUST show it in it's proper flight mode. If they don't or can't because it's not designed to do that, then this particular ship is doomed to fail before they even make it.

I think that's kinda what I was alluding to Sal. I don't like the wings like that and I hope that's not the extent of them. That flat wing span not only doesn't look good, but's it's unfaithful to what we've seen so far. Unless of course and like JT said that it's changed for the new show. If so, then I'm not really sold on it.

DarthBrandon
02-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Looks good enough for me, I'm in for at least one (got to make sure I have enough for 3 AT-TE's).;)

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I think that's kinda what I was alluding to Sal. I don't like the wings like that and I hope that's not the extent of them. That flat wing span not only doesn't look good, but's it's unfaithful to what we've seen so far. Unless of course and like JT said that it's changed for the new show. If so, then I'm not really sold on it.

It wasn't changed for the cartoon. Check out the trailer. The V-19s are in it and with the wings and tail in correct position, not that flat and topside tail carp Hasbro showed us.

Oh and I wasn't arguing with you Kal-EL. I was arguing with Tycho, lol. J/K

Jedi_Kal-El
02-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I know you weren't arguing with me Sal. I was mainly just saying I was having the same thoughts as you on the subject. :thumbsup:

Maradona
02-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I didn't like this as much as I wanted to, but I still see myself buying a few. Hopefully, Hasbro has some decent pilots on the horizon. I read about a pilot Evolutions set, but no pics from TF make me wonder... Maybe SDCC will bring us pics of this.

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 04:02 PM

You also missed my speculation that they tied it up by the center stabalizer fin to hang it, thus that fin couldn't be positioned under the craft.No, I didn't miss it, I pointed out that it's in mid-air, it's not on a table, so your argument makes NO FRIGGIN' SENSE! The wings are folded up in the official photo, and in Steve's photo the wings are hanging free. The center wing has nothing to do with anything in this regard.

It's rare that Hasbro makes an EU vehicles, so this is what could have happened.It's not strictly speaking EU since it's in the show.

Tycho
02-18-2008, 04:31 PM
No, I didn't miss it, I pointed out that it's in mid-air, it's not on a table, so your argument makes NO FRIGGIN' SENSE! The wings are folded up in the official photo, and in Steve's photo the wings are hanging free. The center wing has nothing to do with anything in this regard.

No, part of my argument was that the person who set the ship up on display was not familiar with it or didn't care. They might've used a picture of the ship from their catalog to see how it's supposed to go, and their presentation photo DOES show the ship lying down on a flat surface, which would make it impossible to balance it on the wings in the v-formation. So an idiot might've followed that example for some reason.

I think I am through arguing about this.

I suspect a conspiracy such that JediTricks is only trying to stir up controversy over this ship, but I haven't linked it to a good reason yet. But I can assure you that it somehow fits into his larger plot to take over the earth. As a rival for world domination, you can trust that myself and my Mouse Droids will get to the bottom of this.

At the same time, I will be exonerrated as being right about this issue when the actual toy gets released. How could they use the CW 'toon for inspiration, and then ignore it? Furthermore, why would they use the 'toon for inspiration for the new feature film animation, and then go and change a popular EU ship design? It makes little sense.

I know I am right because I am a genius. Now I will stop wasting my time arguing about this. (Though I reserve the right to rebuttals to any snide remarks that I know will be forthcoming. :rolleyes:)

jedi master sal
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
I just need to see this with the wings and tail in the correct position for flight and I'll be sold at least for one, maybe three.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-18-2008, 05:14 PM
I just need to see this with the wings and tail in the correct position for flight and I'll be sold at least for one, maybe three.

Yessir, that would be great.

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 10:36 PM
No, part of my argument was that the person who set the ship up on display was not familiar with it or didn't care. They might've used a picture of the ship from their catalog to see how it's supposed to go, and their presentation photo DOES show the ship lying down on a flat surface, which would make it impossible to balance it on the wings in the v-formation. So an idiot might've followed that example for some reason.Well, there is an idiot around here. ;) You didn't notice that the Hasbro photo has the wings raised.

Tycho
02-18-2008, 10:40 PM
There's also a Hasbro slide presentation picture with the wings flat because the ship is on a flat surface where it was photographed. That was what I was referring to.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-18-2008, 10:58 PM
There's also a Hasbro slide presentation picture with the wings flat because the ship is on a flat surface where it was photographed. That was what I was referring to.

A good reason to look at reference photos. That way they can see how it's suppose to displayed.

JediTricks
02-19-2008, 01:15 AM
I hadn't seen that slide, but I see it now. It's lifted up in the photo, the right wing isn't even close to the ground, that vehicle isn't flat on the display, they are propping it up in that shot already. That's just as low as the wings are folding apparently, or the prototype can't do what the production model can (not a first for that). I can't wait to hear them explain this one.

plasticfetish
02-19-2008, 02:33 AM
And it appears the wings go no lower than that, judging by the Hasbro photography (you can see a block on the wing's gutter just barely peeking out)I've been looking at that photo JT, and I think the "block" that you're seeing is part of the wing hinge that wraps around and comes up under like a hook. That's how I'm seeing it anyway.

I've a feeling that they displayed the hanging ship with its wings out to A: show the full wingspan, or B: the person that put it up there didn't know any better.

Tycho
02-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Thank you PF. That is what I've said about 6 times already. (But I do seriously mean to thank you PF. I was complaining about someone else who wasn't listening to me and just wants to argue with me about everything.)

plasticfetish
02-19-2008, 03:03 AM
No problem. I mean... you're fun to argue with, but seeing as how we all pretty much want the same thing from this one... it seems pointless.

(If I'm wrong, and the wings don't fold down I'll be disapointed.)

jedi master sal
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
No problem. I mean... you're fun to argue with, but seeing as how we all pretty much want the same thing from this one... it seems pointless.

(If I'm wrong, and the wings don't fold down I'll be disapointed.)

So will I. If they don't fold all the way down underneath, then to me it's NOT the V-19. Maybe the V-18 or 20, but not 19.

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 12:53 AM
I've a feeling that they displayed the hanging ship with its wings out to A: show the full wingspan, or B: the person that put it up there didn't know any better.How would they do this, glue? Not likely, it's a prototype.

plasticfetish
02-20-2008, 04:35 AM
How would they do this, glue?Do what? Hang it with the wings pointing out? :confused: The things are hinged.

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Right, if they're hinged, what's keeping the wings from dropping into their supposed final resting point? You guys are claiming that's not their final resting point, that they're stopped at near-horizontal for some unknown reason, well, what could be doing that? They're way too heavy for simple friction bumps, and I can't imagine them putting geared stops in there for a pointless positioning such as this.

plasticfetish
02-21-2008, 04:34 AM
The wings may not be all that heavy, the hinge may be snug, there may be some kind of stops... or yeah, they may have screwed it up. Won't know for sure 'til we see a few more shots of the thing I suppose.

JediTricks
02-21-2008, 04:31 PM
There's no way the hinge is THAT snug, those wings would be too heavy for any toy-grade plastic on their own, but then they slapped missile-launchers onto the ends, and not small ones either. Their length alone would make them too heavy.

If it's stops, they'd have to be engineered in there on purpose, and that leads back to the question, why would they pay extra money to do that?

pegger
02-21-2008, 04:54 PM
There's no way the hinge is THAT snug, those wings would be too heavy for any toy-grade plastic on their own, but then they slapped missile-launchers onto the ends, and not small ones either. Their length alone would make them too heavy.

If it's stops, they'd have to be engineered in there on purpose, and that leads back to the question, why would they pay extra money to do that?

JT - Are you implying that Hasbro would make an inferior product?

JediTricks
02-21-2008, 06:31 PM
No, I'm saying they wouldn't make a superior one for no reason. :p

TheCivilCollector
03-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, this thing is kinda plain-looking. At least we got Grievous' starfighter, which is a work of art. :-D

pegger
03-13-2008, 04:07 PM
well accourding to here (http://cgi.denpetersen.com/YAK1/viewtopic.php?p=39944#39944) the center wing will fold down.

I would really like to see a pic tho.

decadentdave
03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah, this thing is kinda plain-looking. At least we got Grievous' starfighter, which is a work of art. :-D

Well what do you expect from an EU designed vehicle? Looks like Genndy sketched out the design in about 5 minutes. Still, looks better than the Virago or the Outrider or even the Cruise Missile Trooper. :p

Tycho
03-13-2008, 05:32 PM
well accourding to here (http://cgi.denpetersen.com/YAK1/viewtopic.php?p=39944#39944) the center wing will fold down.

I would really like to see a pic tho.

I told JediTricks that. I think he just posted stuff to frighten people of the contrary in the absense of the pictures and ignite a controversy for his own perverse pleasure. I suspect a conspiracy.

I am now researching whether JT is behind the plot to have the DNC refuse to seat Florida's and Michigan's delegates as well.

It will be much harder to prove he caused Hurricane Katrina, but that also remains a possibility.

Nothing gets by me.

Eventually, I will also link him to the Oscars snubbing Michael Bay's getting an Academy Award for Transformers!:mad:

Then there will be words!

pegger
03-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I told JediTricks that. I think he just posted stuff to frighten people of the contrary in the absense of the pictures and ignite a controversy for his own perverse pleasure. I suspect a conspiracy.

I am now researching whether JT is behind the plot to have the DNC refuse to seat Florida's and Michigan's delegates as well.

It will be much harder to prove he caused Hurricane Katrina, but that also remains a possibility.

Nothing gets by me.

Eventually, I will also link him to the Oscars snubbing Michael Bay's getting an Academy Award for Transformers!:mad:

Then there will be words!

hmmm - see I heard that JT was behind the Kennedy assassinations (both Sr. and Jr.) AND the fake moon walk. I thought it was crazy talk....till just now.

Tycho - if I don't post for a few days - send out a search team....

JediTricks
03-13-2008, 11:36 PM
I told JediTricks that. I think he just posted stuff to frighten people of the contrary in the absense of the pictures and ignite a controversy for his own perverse pleasure. I suspect a conspiracy.THERE WAS NEVER ANY QUESTION TO WHETHER THE STUPID MIDDLE WING FOLDED DOWN!!! Dude, this whole time you've been arguing a foregone conclusion, I said it folded down when I first saw it, it's obvious because of the underside design we can see. The sane people around here are worried that the SIDE WINGS won't fold down past horizontal - "HORIZONTAL", that phrase I've been using about this for weeks now, how the hell could the middle wing have anything to do with folding past horizontal when it folds along the midline vertical axis?!? GEEZ! :rolleyes:

Nothing gets by me.Apparently the part about NOBODY WAS TALKING ABOUT THE CENTER WING got by you.

Eventually, I will also link him to the Oscars snubbing Michael Bay's getting an Academy Award for Transformers!:mad:They don't give out an Oscar for being crappy.

hmmm - see I heard that JT was behind the Kennedy assassinations (both Sr. and Jr.) AND the fake moon walk. I thought it was crazy talk....till just now.

Tycho - if I don't post for a few days - send out a search team....Don't encourage him, it's like feeding the monkeys, they mimic you eating popcorn so you give them some, but the end result is you'll have a face full of monkey poop.

Dark Marble
03-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I would hope that the wings would fold correctly and that if Hasbro took the time and money to make it, they would do it right. There is not reference materials showing it with the wings straight out so it wouldn't make any sense to design the toy that way.

I was really disappointed to hear that no real deco would be done to the ship. It looks unfinished and reminds me of the very first x-wing. We are so far beyond getting toys like that. We can't even get the engine fans in black??? Bogus.

JediTricks
03-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Yeah, the deco answer was pretty odd, they haven't done a "clean" white vehicle in forever. BTW, I saw the CGI version for the new cartoon and it too has the wings fold down this far, so I have to hope this is all a prototype issue.

pegger
03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
The wings DO go down past the "horizontal". Check it out. (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3762/#details)

plasticfetish
03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Looks great, I'm in! ('Bout time they issued a new photo.)

jedi master sal
03-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I'll get one or two of these.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Good, good. I'll get at least one of these then.

DarkArtist
03-22-2008, 04:02 PM
The wings DO go down past the "horizontal". Check it out. (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3762/#details)

After seeing that pic I want at least 2 of these. can't wait till 7/26, might even take a day off from work for that.

JediTricks
03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Cool, then all is settled. That paint scheme sucks though, I'm going to have to finally try dry-brushing and paint-washing, that thing looks so plain as it stands now.

Tycho
03-22-2008, 04:39 PM
No. All is NOT settled. You deliberately spread malicious rumors that the wings did not go all the way down, JT!

There is a conspiracy here and I'm going to root it out!

I'll be right back right after my appointment with a prostitute and my revelation of the hiding places of weapons of mass destruction.

Oh, I also have to further deflate the American dollar.

Just because I'm a little busy doesn't mean I won't get to you, JT! - or I'm not the governor of New York!

Jedi_Kal-El
03-22-2008, 10:03 PM
No. All is NOT settled. You deliberately spread malicious rumors that the wings did not go all the way down, JT!

I'll be right back right after my appointment with a prostitute and my revelation of the hiding places of weapons of mass destruction.

Just because I'm a little busy doesn't mean I won't get to you, JT! - or I'm not the governor of New York!

You goof Tycho. JT did not spread any rumors. Everyone was going off the pic at Toy Fair. You and your darned conspiracy theories. Dude, sometimes it's ok to just....let it go, and that's what you should do. :thumbsup:

Tycho
03-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I saw the Toy Fair picture, too. But while a picture might be worth 1000 words, it is not worth ALL the words.

Why would people take that picture as concrete evidence the wings didn't work the way they were supposed to? Why would Hasbro get a design for a ship from the cartoon, and then not recreate what they obviously had to see if they watched the cartoon in the first place?

OK, that just seems really - well I'm going to offend just about everyone that blankly looked at that picture and jumped to conclusions if I post what it REALLY SEEMS LIKE TO ME.

Appreciate this rare moment when I'm being NICE and TACTFUL.

But it's like if someone showed a picture of an X-wing fighter upside down, and you all started posting that "Hasbro got it wrong, the cockpit's not on the bottom!" Almost a similar situation.

You know what I'm thinking.

JediTricks
03-24-2008, 03:57 PM

Just because I'm a little busy doesn't mean I won't get to you, JT! - or I'm not the governor of New York!Go away, trollboy. Shoo!

Blue2th
07-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Pic of the Torrent on RS. http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2008/DSCN3422.jpg

Guess they might have to reissue that Clone Pilot.

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Clone Pilot is also in the Pilots Evolutions pack. Of course, that's not the animated style this thing is pretending to be in (the vehicles for the animated show are real styled, wisely).

Tycho
07-10-2008, 01:57 AM
I don't pay too much attention to what goes with what collection - I think.

The figures might be over-obvious. In which case, I'm not going for the next umpteenth style change for animated figures. The Cartoon Network ones were fun. Now I'm done. (I think I even kept a carded set of those just for the heck of it).

I'm not going to get into this new stuff that launches with the movie. (Well, I'll watch it).

As to the vehicles? Well, it would be cruel but unsurprising if Hasbro later went back and "carbon-scorched" the AT-TE and V-19 a bit more, etc. - but no one can really wait for that. I'm fine with not having the definitive movie paint job if they put that out later.

Blue2th
07-10-2008, 04:03 AM
It's weird the box art has the Torrent with the "scorched" look. but the backside doesn't. It wouldn't suprise me if they did re-issue it like that.
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2008/DSCN3420.jpg

I don't think I would be buying any of the vehicles if they were in an animated cartoon style. In Clone Wars 1, even though in a 2D format they were done very sharp and defined, and rendered from a computer program unlike the characters. Give or take a few land vehicles.

This mixing of the two styles has made things confusing, so I don't know what to expect from Hasbro's figure department.
Like Tycho said it was fun, but I'm done with it.

There has always been a demand for the AOTC pilot it seems, I'm sure we'll see him again, hopefully not animated style.

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 04:19 AM
The front box art no longer represents the product inside, but a "fantasy situation" version. The V-wing's and Sith Infiltrator's box art both use art from totally different sources, I think all the TAC boxes are like that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-10-2008, 05:14 PM
The front box art no longer represents the product inside, but a "fantasy situation" version. The V-wing's and Sith Infiltrator's box art both use art from totally different sources, I think all the TAC boxes are like that.
They were indeed. It seems, though, like the Clone Wars ships have images based on the show as opposed to more random Hasbro designs like the TAC ones.

Blue2th
07-10-2008, 06:25 PM
So I'm guessing the Walmart Exclusive Gunship with the nose art will be coming out without all the dirt and battle damage too. Unlike it's pic on the box shows it all battle weary.

Tycho
07-25-2008, 01:37 AM
This ship is pretty cool, but it's the least impressive of all of Hasbro's 7-26 releases.

Battle-wearing detailing in the paint would have really gone a long ways.

Val Da Car
07-27-2008, 09:34 AM
This ship is pretty cool, but it's the least impressive of all of Hasbro's 7-26 releases.

Battle-wearing detailing in the paint would have really gone a long ways.

the paint spoltches (sp?) make up for the perfect look.

I really like this ship...I ended up with 5 of them.

Tycho
07-27-2008, 10:22 AM
I bought 2. I'm done with it.

I'm glad I had the chance to buy it, but I'm NOT impressed. Everything else on 7-26 really overshadowed it, including the Homing Spider Droid.

Phantom-like Menace
07-27-2008, 12:39 PM
My big gripe is that it just looks so clean and factory-fresh. I would have loved some weathering.

Val Da Car
07-27-2008, 12:43 PM
I bought 2. I'm done with it.

I'm glad I had the chance to buy it, but I'm NOT impressed. Everything else on 7-26 really overshadowed it, including the Homing Spider Droid.

I picked up 1 HSD that I need to open soon. I might swap one v 19 towards another HSD.

Tycho
07-27-2008, 01:45 PM
It would be nice to have a little squadron of V-19s, (2 is enough for me) but maybe do what JediTricks was recommending: use some kind of spray-on application (he'll post about it maybe) to add the weathering and carbon-scoring from space fights. JT said this stuff is removeable, too - when I'd asked about why not just taking a match or cigarette lighter to it. He said his method was non-permanent - and that would be a cool way to customize the ship if it looks good.

As an action figure's fighter, it's kind of impractical. The firing cannons on the wings can't really hit anything. Fortunately, the ARC-170 has the bombs it can also drop because it can't hit anything either.

OK - what I mean is line up your battle droid figures. Now fire your Army of the Republic ships at them. Hit anything? Well if you used the V-wing or the AT-AP you did. Only if the ARC-170 made a bombing run did you blast some droids. The V-19 overshot everything - or you fired from a good distance.

But you all know how I favor the V-wing? Well don't stand a droid army in front of me when my Clones are flying THOSE! I can hit my mark with the V-wing!

However, Jango's Slave-One STILL remains the deadliest leader. That ship packs a lot of fire-power for a toy!

Blue2th
07-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I guess this Torrent is the "new off the showroom floor" model being the first release. I bought one, but I want one that looks like that awesome picture on the box.

Tycho
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
I wondered how detachable engine flares would look. Similar to how you could attach "blasts" to the weapons and rocket packs of the Saga 1 figures. Of course you could CHOOSE whether to display the flames shooting out of the V-19's engines, but it would give it kind of an "Unleashed" edge and make the ship closer resemble the box art.

Bar
07-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey guys.
This info may be of no use, but i'll offer it anyway.
If any of you owns an airbrush, a bespoke weathering job is only about an hour's work away...
Just load up some matt black acrylic paint and go to town.
A nice weathering technique i use is to liberally apply the soot streaks and blast marks with black, and then wait till it's dry(Twenty minutes tops, when properly thinned out). Then i go back in with flat alu on a paintbrush and highlight areas inside the scorching, simulating the paint having melted through to the metalwork. If you are conservative with the airbrush, and quick with the alu, you can have some nice effects done and ready to show off in less than an hour.
I did the effects in this Jedi Interceptor in under an hour:

One (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics15.jpg).
Two (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics16.jpg).
Three (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics17.jpg).
Four (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics18.jpg).
Five (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JSfinishedpics19.jpg).

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
That's a good method, I was suggesting to Tycho to try dry-brushing and paint-washing as they're a little easier to fill panel lines (which this piece DESPERATELY needs done) and it's easier to see where you are for novices like us. Plus, airbrushing looks SO specific to me, yours looks great there but it does have that "airbrush smooth glow" which isn't quite what I'm looking for on my Hasbro ships.

The Torrent looks alright, I think I appreciated it more than Tycho actually, especially when the center wing was down - they didn't design it right in up position, it looks weird set too far back. Deco destroys this vehicle though, and when I got home and had my preview Capt Rex figures which is also clean, the cleanliness ruins that figure as well pretty much the same way.

Bar
08-01-2008, 05:24 PM
I appreciate what you are saying.
Subtle is what you want, so you can have four of them sitting next to each other, and they all looks similar without looking like they have been through the wringer.
I have a couple of other pics.
Here is what Ani and Obi's rides looked like after black, but before the flat alu (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/extremelyweathered1a.jpg). And afterwards (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/Extermelyweathered1b.jpg).

I also (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/arcweathered1b.jpg) went to town (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/arcweathered1c.jpg)with an ARC 170 (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/arcweathered1e.jpg).
But i know what you are saying.
My approach is too severe.
Bar.

MaquisWarrior
08-01-2008, 05:28 PM
"Whata piece of junk!" What's with LFL and their obession with retractable wings?

JediTricks
08-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Dang, you really did go to town on that ARC-170, you fly it through a Mustafar volcano? :D I dare say you have more detail work there than the ILM digital model. Actually, I don't think you went overboard, if these were models that would be just the bee's knees, but for me, I like a slightly rougher type of paint weathering for the Hasbro vehicles, it keeps them feeling "together" since I'm not going to go back and redo my 13 years of vehicles. :p So I try to use the Hasbro paint jobs as the benchmark, like the Jedi Starfighter, V-wing, and Grievous' Starfighter being one benchmark, and the lower benchmark being the Saga Gunship where the only weathering was wear-away on the painted elements (the V-19 actually has some wear-away, but it just doesn't fit at ALL with the clean white deco). Oh, that's another thing, the V-19 is a VERY clean white deco whereas the ARC-170 and Gunship had an off-white base color to them which brought out their panels better. So I prefer a light touch with weathering, but I wouldn't say yours is "too severe", just not what someone like Tycho or me is looking for (or capable of reproducing, you have modeling paint skills down, I am a clumsy fool :p).

Actually, those ARE models, aren't they? I thought they were figure ships, but looking at the cockpit figures you have, that set my eye off to other details, that's the model kit, right? I have the die-cast model kit which has a similar look right out of the box, (nowhere near as detailed as yours though) and it definitely outpaces my Hasbro version, but I dig 'em both.

Bar
08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I hear you. You are looking for consistency across the whole collection.
I am looking for the most beat up a ship can be and still fly(Obi Wan took it TOO far...:) )
And yes, they are models. The Revell ROTS pre-painted snap fit collection.
Sorry for the confusion.
Bar.

Ando
08-01-2008, 06:11 PM
I actually really like the V-19 and have been wanting them since they appeared in the CW cartoon 5 years ago.

I plan on getting 5-10 of them throughout the next few months.

My only complaint about it would be the wings not ALWAYS staying in the down/flight position when I have it doing barrel rolls and making rocketship noises after the wife has gone to bed. But I have a feeling this might be from overuse and playing with it all the time.

Bar
08-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Has this one been released already?
Bar.

Ando
08-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Has this one been released already?

Do you mean models or the V-19 3 3/4" figure scale toy that came out last Saturday the 26th?

Bar
08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Do you mean models or the V-19 3 3/4" figure scale toy that came out last Saturday the 26th?

And there is my answer.
I didn't know it had been released.
Bar.

Ando
08-01-2008, 06:40 PM
And there is my answer.
I didn't know it had been released.
Bar.

Yep! It sure has. I bought 2 already.

Bar
08-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Sweet.
Got any pics?
Bar.

Ando
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
I don't, sorry... But the wings do rotate into the flight position as seen on the CW series from Cartoon Network and there guides/stops to keep them at the 45 degree angles.

If you go to any of the collector sites, there should be some shots of it in the Hasbro SDCC 2008 booth.

Tycho
08-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Bar, you did an awesome job painting! Much appreciation, dude!

Keep up the great work. I'll love to look at more of your pictures.

Bar
08-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Bar, you did an awesome job painting! Much appreciation, dude!

Keep up the great work. I'll love to look at more of your pictures.
Thanks for that.
Most of my work is non-SW.
I tend to make master patterns for model kits. I have fairly recently made a 1/24 scale Delta-7 Jedi Starfighter model kit. but i don't want to clog this thread up with my stuff.
If you really want to see more pics, i can send you a PM with links.
Bar.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 05:17 AM
I saw this one in LA-area stores finally, it had been missing me until now, but I passed due to low funds, and the argument that "there's no weapons on the fuselage, only the wings, that's crazy!" (despite the fact that the X-wing and A-wing are the same way).

Tycho
08-04-2008, 12:38 AM
I watched my CW 'toons today and there is only 1 pilot per V-19. I remembered it wrong.

It seems the GAR put a lot of expenses into the V-19 fighters when they didn't need anything that elaborate. The V-wing and eventually TIE fighters scaled it back tremendously, and seem to be better ships.

Blue2th
08-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I like the Torrent fighter design a lot better than the sucky V-Wing.

ncbarrett
08-04-2008, 08:27 AM

I second that!

Ando
08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I second that!

I like the design of the V-19 over the V Wing, but I love the features of the V Wing. It's got 4 missiles that have pretty good range, and spring open wings.

jedi master sal
08-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Blech, I don't. It's clunky to me. I think it really should have had some kind of battle damage or carbon scoring of some kind to give it that "lived in" feeling. It was way to NEW. This is by far my least favorite of my vehicle purchases, not just for 7/26, but a couple of years, I'd say.

Again, that's really no fault of Hasbro (except for the damage).

I got one to have one, I won't get any subsequent redecoes.

Blue2th
08-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah the battle damage like the box art would have made this one better. Though I like this design because the wings folding remind me of the Imperial shuttle and transport.

You could almost do a camo version of the Torrent, put an iron cross on it, and it would look like a WWII German jet.

The V-wing just doesn't appeal to me with the swiss army wings, odd fuselage, just personal preference.

JediTricks
08-04-2008, 11:30 PM
You guys just made my jaw drop, saying the V-19 is better than the V-wing toy. That's just incomprehensible, like saying the 1978 R2-D2 is better than the TSC Hoth version.

Battle Droid
08-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I have no interest in this one, I'd rather buy another Homing Spider Droid, its way better and cooler!

pegger
08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
You guys just made my jaw drop, saying the V-19 is better than the V-wing toy. That's just incomprehensible, like saying the 1978 R2-D2 is better than the TSC Hoth version.

It's not. I've got one - and am contemplating returning it - and I really wanted this ship made in plastic.

It's not bad, it's not great, it's just - I don't know...OK. (My biggest beef is that the side wings don't lock into position, and are not tight enough - so when I do put them in position, they sag lower that I want them.)

Bar
08-05-2008, 08:39 AM
It's not. I've got one - and am contemplating returning it - and I really wanted this ship made in plastic.

It's not bad, it's not great, it's just - I don't know...OK. (My biggest beef is that the side wings don't lock into position, and are not tight enough - so when I do put them in position, they sag lower that I want them.)

There aren't wing stops for the mechanism?
As for wanting to return it...
You pay your money and you take your chances.

pegger
08-05-2008, 08:48 AM
As for wanting to return it...
You pay your money and you take your chances.

No wing stops on mine.

and - yeah - I know I paid for it - and opened it - and played with it - so I won't return it. I was just contemplating....

Bar
08-05-2008, 08:50 AM
No wing stops on mine.

That seems very strange.
I don't have one of these, but it seems like a bad design.
Anyone got one where it has stops on the wings?(Or maybe most people's wings are tighter?)
Bar.

Tycho
08-05-2008, 08:58 AM
My V-19's wings don't flop around, if that's what you mean. They stay in whatever position I put them in - so I can display the ship flying like it does in the cartoon.

It is no match for the V-wing though! That ship is still my favorite at the $20 pricepoint for going on a long while. That's right: 4 missiles that fire on target, spring open "Swiss army wings," the cockpit for the action figure, adjustable flaps, extending pylons and landing gear. It's a good package.

The Homing Spider Droid is a great value for the money, as is the AT-AP, but I prefer fighters and vehicles with flight capability.

OC47150
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I've been waiting for the V-19 since the first CW cartoon came out several years ago. I haven't picked it up yet, but will soon.

And I have an extra Saga clone pilot ready to go into the cockpit!!

Blue2th
08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I've been waiting for the V-19 since the first CW cartoon came out several years ago. I haven't picked it up yet, but will soon.

Yeah those Clone Pilots are probably a hot item right now.

Val Da Car
08-06-2008, 09:57 AM

I picked up several of the Black ROTS Clone pilot as my pilot for the V 19.

Snowtrooper
08-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I opened up mine tonight. It doesn't have stops, but when you are positioning the wings in the up position, it reaches a certain point to where the resistance is noticeably less than moving the wing the rest of the way around. I assume that is the spot where they are supposed to be when up. Mine doesn't have an issue with drooping wings. They stay put wherever you put em.

Overall, I like it even though I'm not very familiar with it yet. Its a pretty good vehicle for $20. Some weathering on the paint job would have been nice, but its not a big deal. I like the job they did on the cockpit. I wish all the other vehicles would have the insides painted up like this.

JediTricks
08-09-2008, 08:51 PM
(My biggest beef is that the side wings don't lock into position, and are not tight enough - so when I do put them in position, they sag lower that I want them.)

That seems very strange.
I don't have one of these, but it seems like a bad design.
Anyone got one where it has stops on the wings?(Or maybe most people's wings are tighter?)
Bar.

My V-19's wings don't flop around, if that's what you mean. They stay in whatever position I put them in - so I can display the ship flying like it does in the cartoon.The V-19 I've played with is Tycho's, and contrary to his claim, the wings do move if you play with the ship. Friction keeps them in place to a certain degree, but even just whooshing it around causes the wings to fall into lower positions, and inverted flight is even worse. Honestly, this was one of the things that really bothered me about this set, after the lack of deco, those wings are just no fun as they quickly go uneven in mild play, and any more activity they drop almost straight down eventually. And it's not like the friction is going to get stronger with time. And I hate the landed pose. So it's a viable complaint IMO.

JediTricks
09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Ok, so with the $20 gift card I got for buying The Force Unleashed (PS3) at TRU on Tuesday while shuttling my mom around, I used that to pick up the V-19 on sale at TRU for 25% off ($18 and change, $20.29 after tax). This ship does have stops on the wings, but they are FAR too weak to do their job, they're not even strong enough to hold the wings out at their lower angle at the correct angle, they're a little drooped from the engine's midline (this explains why the picture on the box looks better, it's only 5 degrees or so but it makes a big difference). The sculpt definitely feels unfinished, and it looks like they tried to use alternating surface textures on the panels (matte, glossy molded surfaces) to mix up the deco, but without success because that bald white plastic they use is too bright. It's a fun ship, but not being able to invert it in play hampers it considerably, and the weapons layout sucks, this is a poor layout trying to be like the X-wing but taking it too far. The real disappointment besides the deco though is the spartan sculpting and features, especially the cockpit which begs for more (or really ANY) detail beyond its simple black display and the awkward control stick that figures can't seem to grasp.

All in all, it's an ok toy but really no better than a C grade in this line.

Anybody slapped some weathering onto theirs yet?

Bar
10-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Okay...
After some real chasing around, i managed to track one of these down.
I can see what the complaints are about now concerning the wing mounts. What i can't believe is how LOUSY the main wings are!!! HUGE screw pilot holes protruding on the lower surface!!!
They'll have to go i'm afraid. I will scratchbuild new ones.
I am also going to saw out the existing rotator hinges, and replace them with wooden dowelling.
Otherwise, i am fairly happy with this one. It's a nice design, and i REALLY like the "Red Five" paintjob!!!
It's a shame it wasn't more in scale(I can't put my finger on it, though i think the top wing is incorrectly sized too), but it's only about 1/30 at the most.
I will fashion a new pilot's couch in 1/24 and stick a new pilot in there.
Bar.

Bar
08-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey guys!!!
Sorry for the necro post. It took me nearly a year(I forgot all about it and found it in the cupboard two days ago, and HAD TO get to work on it because of all the airtime this fabulous ship got in the CW show!!!!), but i have done a fair bit of work on the Torrent.
I removed all the screw plugs on the wings and epoxied the wings together again.
I also epoxied the wing mounts onto the wings(They are WAAAAAY stronger now than their original "pop into place" system!).
I re-panelled the underside of the wings where the screw holes were, and i removed the cockpit tub and am in the process of building a new one in a smaller scale.
As a last small thing, i removed the landing gear, and i will be making new landing legs with hatches, attached by magnets. They will sit the ship slightly higher off the ground than the original gear and will look a bit more like actual landing gear(And they will hold the entire weight on just the two feet like a Tydirium shuttle).
And as a remedy to the complained-about lack of a wing detent to stop the wings swinging down too far, i added two small screws on each engine combing on the underside which very simply stops the wings from going down any further than the screw(I used two screws for each wing, but i could have gotten away with one on each side i think).
I am using a 1/22 model kit figure wearing a WWII-looking flight suit(Complete with a leather skullcap).
Here are some images(I have a 10MP Fuji S8000HD which will arrive in the next few days, but these images are taken with the camera on my Blackberry. Hopefully they will give the flavour of the mods so far, and i can take higher res images when the new cam gets here!):

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00087-20090827-2250.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00088-20090827-2250.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00089-20090827-2251.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00091-20090827-2251.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00093-20090827-2252.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00094-20090827-2252.jpg

Re-panelling on the wings(And the detent screws if you look close!):

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00095-20090827-2253.jpg

The screw position closeup:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00096-20090827-2253.jpg

With the large wing lugs behind the guns removed, the SAME SCREWS FIT RIGHT BACK IN WITH NO MODS!!! Looks WAY better:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00098-20090827-2254.jpg

The new wing front profile:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00100-20090827-2254.jpg

The side view with the new more in-scale pilot in situ:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/IMG00101-20090827-2254.jpg

Once i get the cockpit finished and painted, i will seal the hull, fill the panel gaps, and get to work on the hull painting.
If anyone is still interested, i can post more images when all that's done.

Ando
08-27-2009, 06:47 PM
You've done it again! Nice work, Bar!

OC47150
08-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Outstanding work!

Bar
08-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks guys!
It's not finished, but soon will be.
I'll get the gear mounts done maybe tonight, and get to work detailing the cockpit interior(I already used the Anakin seat back from the ROTS Jedi Interceptor model kit).
I know it's not the same style, but has anyone got a screen grab of the CN Clone Wars Torrent from the scene where they are on the ground about to take off?(Just to see exactly what the gear looks like in that version...)

Tycho
09-22-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm eager to see Bar's dirty deco on this one. It's been a while but I'm still excited for it.

Bar
09-22-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm eager to see Bar's dirty deco on this one. It's been a while but I'm still excited for it.

Hey!
As usual, i got sidetracked!!!
I was thinking about Jedi Masters who always travel with a Padewan, and i was wondering why there is no dedicated craft for them to use together? A republic consular ship seems overkill and the Jedi Starfighter/Interceptor doesn't have room.
This got me thinking about Anakin and Obi-Wan taking two Eta-2 Interceptors to rescue Palpatine.
How did they intend to get him out???
It made me think about a variant of the Jedi Interceptor that could hold two people...
So i came up with this:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/DSCF0122.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/DSCF0123.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/DSCF0126.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/DSCF0127.jpg

Tycho
09-23-2009, 12:42 PM
The Twin Pod Eta Interceptor? Cool.

I think that as Jedi, they used the starfighters they had to get through the CIS lines, and they planned to "borrow" a ship from the CIS once they boarded The Invisible Hand to get Palpatine out - lest they just took command of the entire Invisible Hand (which they did in the movie because all the Niemoidians fled and they defeated Dooku and Grievous (or he fled anyway).

In any event, the Republic Fleet would defend an escaping CIS ship the Jedi captured.