PDA

View Full Version : How come Hasbro gives Indiana Jones playsets, but denies SW

Tycho
02-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Hasbro has consistently said playsets are not profitable for them.

Indiana Jones has at least the idol capture playset from Raiders that I've seen a picture of.

And Star Wars? Yeah I thought so.

General_Grievous
02-17-2008, 01:02 AM
The only big playset for Indy is a repaint of the Mustafar playset, so that was just easy for Hasbro to make. And the others are just mini-playsets priced at $10. They're nothing special at all. But seeing the AT-TE can make one forget all about playsets for Star Wars. For the moment, at least.

Tycho
02-17-2008, 01:03 AM
That's a repaint of Mustafar? I'll have to take another look.

figrin bran
02-17-2008, 01:07 AM
That Indy playset looks to be no better than the ROTS Mustafar playset. Is that something most SW collectors would want?

Just think about how much shelf space a playset would take up in the stores. They would have to place it where the role playing toys (lightsabers, blasters) and the 19.99 vehicles are currently.

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Actually, I think that Mustafar remold/repaint looks better for Indy than it did for SW. :p

But Indiana Jones is more closely-linked to where he is and how he's interacting with his environments in a way, by comparison to how Star Wars is more about the vehicles.

LTBasker
02-17-2008, 03:36 AM
They actually seem to have made the AT-TE into a playset, it looks like the flaps that fold down on the forward sides and the rear one have ladders and stairs sculpted into them. It makes it look like more of a battlefield command building than just a giant piece of artillery, if that was the purpose then I think that's very bright on Hasbro's part.

As for those mini-playsets, I assume that's a deluxe line of sorts, and aside from the German on motorcycle (very cool looking) I think they'll be sitting.

The Mustafar playset retooling is quite cool though, tons better than the original use for it. The mountain-side look comes off as more realistic than a volcano, that in our minds we know should be massive compared to the characters standing on it.

DarkArtist
02-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I think that the reason that Hasbro is going with playsets for Indiana Jones is because it's the new hot property this year since it will have a movie release. I wish Hasbro would give us some playsets for Star Wars but since they are making the AT-TE I can look the other way for now.

DarthBrandon
02-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Meh, I'd like to have a kick arse Death Star playset; but since they made the AT-TE I could care less right now. The AT-TE makes up for a lot of the carp Hasbro has put out in the past. I hope for a new Falcon with as much attention to eveything that the AT-TE has.:thumbsup:

Tycho
02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
You're right about the AT-TE! Hasbro should be forgiven most of their Star Wars sins for bringing us this one!

And you guys are right that the Indiana Jones playset is a retooling and repainting of the Mustafar Playset. I didn't see that before, but it definitely is.

El Chuxter
02-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't think they should be forgiven for giving us a mediocre Nightie Leia when they could've used the same comic to give us the Guri we've been begging for.

Tycho
02-19-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't think they should be forgiven for giving us a mediocre Nightie Leia when they could've used the same comic to give us the Guri we've been begging for.

That Leia is sexy for an action figure. Meanwhile, since Guri is a natural for revisiting SOTE, whether she's carded or in a future 2-pack with Luke Tan Vest or another character, it is great to know we also got Leia.

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 01:19 PM
The Leia looks pretty good, but the joints and not-quite-there-yet head sculpt keep her from being great.

pkalan70
02-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Instead of begging Hasbro to put out Star Wars playsets, we should start hassling ??Riddell?? The company who is going to make the snap together models. Why not have them be playsets in 3 3/4 inch scale. I wouldn't mind snapping together a couple of pieces. Make them pre-painted in no more then 5 or 6 pieces, and you got yourself a sale. If Hasbro doesn't listen, maybe they will.

El Chuxter
11-13-2009, 11:44 PM
The real question is "why does Hasbro give Revenge of the Sith action figures, but denies Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-14-2009, 12:01 AM
The real question is "why does Hasbro give Revenge of the Sith action figures, but denies Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?"
The answer is "because there's an actual, viable market that's not necessarily based on the tastes of one El Chuxter." :p

El Chuxter
11-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey! I know of at least three other people who would've bought Short Round... had he not been so scarce that the only place to find him was on eBay for $80, incorrect hat and all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Don't be jealous of me and my Short Round. :D

(You know, he kind of looks like the creepy balloon boy from your avatar, almost.)

El Chuxter
11-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Ah, forgot you had one. Jerk. :p

Tycho
11-14-2009, 01:29 AM
I had a Short Rug. I used it in my bathroom for stepping on when I got out of the shower.

I think it's cleaner not to use one though - they get mold and it's very easy to keep a linoleum floor clean otherwise.