PDA

View Full Version : Why is it "Den-Gar"?

jjreason
02-17-2008, 08:57 AM
The English language uses a blended NG ("ing") the vast majority of the time. It would, hence, follow that the name Dengar should be pronounced "Deng-ar" as opposed to "Den-gar".

However....

I have never, ever in 30 plus years of Star Wars conversations heard anyone pronounce it like that.

My question is this: does anyone here pronounce it "Deng-ar"? How about "Deng-gar" (more like Eng-gland)? Anyone? I highly doubt it.

How come?

2-1B
02-17-2008, 11:29 AM
it's not Den-Gar, it's Den-G:Pirate:

so...there. :thumbsup:

bigbarada
02-17-2008, 12:02 PM
I've always pronounced it "din-gar" I've always just thought there was a syllable break between the 'n' and the 'g'.

JediTricks
02-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I thought the rule for the "ng" sound was that it was only used that way if the root word ended in it, otherwise if it's followed by a vowel the "g" went with that vowel instead. Hence "den-gar". I mean, the guy's name is a play on "danger" and we don't say "dang-er" (there's a Jeff Foxworthy joke in there somewhere).

jjreason
02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Hmmm. That's yet another better pronunciation that I hadn't considered. Maybe it's supposed to be Denjar.

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 09:01 PM
I've only ever said and heard it "den-gar" or "deng-gar" (pretty much the same, but a little more "ng" sound to it). I suppose technically it could be den-jar, but that certainly doesn't roll off the tongue IMO, I think because the higher vowel sound is second rather than first.

El Chuxter
02-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Because that's what his momma named him. Are you insulting Dengar's momma? 'Cause he'll shoot you in the butt if you are! :mad:

jjreason
02-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Oh sure, bring his orientation into this. Every other Bounty Hunter does, so why not the community of SW fans? :rolleyes:

Bounty Hunters are a notoriously hard group to be different in, Chux. Dengar's been teased for so long, and internalized so much pain over the years that it's YOU who better stay seated when he's around, not me. :mad: