PDA

View Full Version : From a certain point of view, these Clone Wars Figures, SUCK!!

zipposparkswell
02-17-2008, 07:02 PM
In my thirteenth year of Star Wars collecting, I can safely say that I quit, after seeing these sorry excuses for action figures for 2008. The cartoon style is just silly. If I was five years old I might be thrilled, but as an adult collector, Hasbro has failed me. I want figures I saw in the movies, not these. It is a shame, the figures, with a few exceptions, where really getting good, especially compared with the old POTF2 line. It was like a dream come true, until today. No more Vintage Line? Go to hell Hasbro! You will not be getting any of my money this year, and I predict that this cartoon crap will be a miserable business failure. See you in 2009, if Hasbro's Star Wars line can survive that long.

Kidhuman
02-17-2008, 07:34 PM
The regular line of CW figs in the Legacy line are great looking. The animated ones suck arse. I am not buying them at all so you are not the only one who feels this way

Jedi_Kal-El
02-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Neither of you are alone. I'm passing on the CW figs as well. For Hasbro to say they'd never do animated style again and then do these is a slap in the face.

Neuroleptic
02-17-2008, 08:38 PM
The only figure I remotely like so far of the clone war figures is R2, because I have always wanted one that opened up like that since I was little. Unfortunately, the cartoonish look makes me think I will probably wind up passing on it, especialy if they try to sell them for 7.99 like it was mentioned in one thread.

There aren't too many figures coming out this year I want anyway.

Kidhuman
02-17-2008, 09:02 PM
I might get the R2 depending on how it looks becauseit opens like that. Only one though.

decadentdave
02-17-2008, 09:32 PM
In my thirteenth year of Star Wars collecting, I can safely say that I quit, after seeing these sorry excuses for action figures for 2008. The cartoon style is just silly. If I was five years old I might be thrilled, but as an adult collector, Hasbro has failed me. I want figures I saw in the movies, not these. It is a shame, the figures, with a few exceptions, where really getting good, especially compared with the old POTF2 line. It was like a dream come true, until today. No more Vintage Line? Go to hell Hasbro! You will not be getting any of my money this year, and I predict that this cartoon crap will be a miserable business failure. See you in 2009, if Hasbro's Star Wars line can survive that long.

My sentiments exactly. This is where I draw the line to stop collecting. I'm only going to collect the Indiana Jones figures this year. I have zero interest in the Clone Wars series.

Though I'll probably pick up the AT-TE because it was featured in the films but no silly cartoon Clones. Keep it real with the features. Just say no to EU.

2-1B
02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
General Grievous is in this movie? I thought he died in the last one. :confused:

decadentdave
02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
General Grievous is in this movie? I thought he died in the last one. :confused:

Dude, it's the Clone Wars.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2008, 10:17 PM
There are more than just Clone Wars figures this year. However, it is to be expected that they are going to put a few more resources towards it than the movie figures because of the Clone Wars series. If not for the series, they might not have went all out to deliver such an awesome AT-TE. We're also getting some long awaited OT figures like Yarna. There are also people like me that are excited about the EU figures because it is something new and different from endless repacks, repaints and resculpts. They've made about half of Tycho's top 50 most wanted figure list they submitted 3 or 4 years ago. We're in the process of creating a new list, and if Hasbro keeps making Star Wars figures, we can look forward to seeing many more of them made eventually.

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 10:29 PM
To make matters worse Hasbro has ALREADY started using the animated style on NON-ANIMATED characters! Don't believe me? Go check out the pics of Cade skywalker, Talon Kardde and Prince Xizor. If those don't look animated (head sculpts) then I don't know what is.

My fear is that Hasbro will take the WHOLE line in this direction. And they will in an effort to cash in on the same characters but in a different style.

NOT going to work on me.

I was steadily starting to break and thought I might buy the CW figs, but I'm starting to ratchet that leak back up.

So with that, this is my open letter to Hasbro:

NO ANIMATED STYLE FOR MAINLINE CHARACTERS HASBRO!!!

If you do that, YOU, HASBRO will kill the line, NOT we collectors.

After 13 years on the modern line, most of us already have no more room for yet another line. The great majority of us have NO desire to re-collect them all over again as well.

You have been WARNED Hasbro.

Continue down this path and you will lose MILLIONS of dollars, not just this year, but every year hereafter.

It's bad enough the CW line will go beyond 2008. We know it will. So long as the cartoon succeeds, you will continue to crank out figures to go with it.

Fine. Just don't mess with the MAIN 3 3/4 line, comic 2-packs, battle packs, multi-packs, etc, that are NOT CW specific characters. Do not abandon the realistic style of clones and Jedi, etc., who just happen to appear in the cartoon as well as the movies.

Think I'm joking? Look here on these boards, look on Jedi Defender, Rebelscum, Jedi Temple Archives, YakFace and I'm certain others. There are MANY collectors who are ****ed at your decision. Had you bothered to take even a modicum of REAL interest in what WE wanted with regards to figures for the cartoon show, you would have known that we did not want a change.

It was readily apparent that you Hasbro were playing games with us when you wouldn't answer the specific question about these figures being the cartoon style. Don't give us any crap that you thought we meant the forner cartoon. Why the hell would we think that? Of course we mean the new cartoon. Don't hide behind it. It's obvious from your playing games and dodging the question that you decided some time ago what style you were doing the figures in. This isn't the first time you've played these games. here are two more distinct instances: When asked about the shuttle being rereleased you said no or wouldn't answer the question, yet bam there it was not a couple of months later. Considering the manufacturing and shipping time, you knew it was coming out and where. The very same example can be used for the AT-TE. We asked and asked. You said "If we can find a way" among other NON-answers. Either YES or NO. Any other answer is playing games. Given that these questions about the AT-TE were posed within the last couple of months, again that's not enough time to design, make the tools/dyes, manufacture and ship them. So you either were lying or playing games.

We are no longer to be trifled with. You are going to lose and big. Oh true enough there may be an initial spike because of the newness of the Clone Wars line, but as far as figures go, you screwed up.

Be upfront about this. Do you plan on turning the whole line (or majority of it) into this style? Do you ever plan on going back to realistic style? Will you continue to have two seperate lines, one for Clone Wars and one for all other Star Wars characters?

Don't wait and don't play games. We want to know NOW. Our collecting future as well as your success (and VERY REAL DOLLARS) on this line of toys depends on it.

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Think about this. Do YOU (collectors) want never before made figures in the animated style?

OR

Would you rather see them in the realistic style to MATCH the REST of your collection.

Imagine Toryn Farr for example being in the animated style. She wouldn't fit in with the other Hoth figures.

What about a sorely needed upgrade or Ponda Baba or Dr Evazan? Imagine them being animated style! No way they would fit in with the other cantina patrons.

I could go on, but you get my drift.

MOVIE and ALL other NON-CARTOON characters MUST be kept in the realistic style.

Oh and it certainly wouldn't hurt to make Commander Rex, Ahsoka and any other NEW cartoon characters in the REALISTIC style.

We might actually get those as they would MATCH what we already have for figure style.

Ball is in Hasbro's court. They can do the right thing and shoot the winning three pointer OR keep committing fouls and be fouled out of the game.

So, what say you Hasbro?

Everyone else, what are your opinions on this?

2-1B
02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
They're not going to do all the movie characters in this format, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2008, 10:37 PM
To make matters worse Hasbro has ALREADY started using the animated style on NON-ANIMATED characters! Don't believe me? Go check out the pics of Cade skywalker, Talon Kardde and Prince Xizor. If those don't look animated (head sculpts) then I don't know what is.

My fear is that Hasbro will take the WHOLE line in this direction. And they will in an effort to cash in on the same characters but in a different style.
Why would you think they would make the whole line animated? Those figures you mentioned were from COMIC packs. Besides, those figures look realistic enough considering the visual sources for them are from comics.

decadentdave
02-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Saw the new comic packs at Walmart and I had no idea who the hell any of the characters were. Some green alien dude wearing a Stormtrooper outfit and some chick in an Imperial uniform. These aren't the characters I grew up with. No $ale here.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't know who they are either, but I look forward to reading about them someday. I'm way behind on my EU reading. I've hardly read any comics and I've not read NJO yet.

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 10:56 PM
They're not going to do all the movie characters in this format, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

So certain are you?

Sorry Caes, I'm not convinced yet. Until hasbro outright says it, I'm going to be concerned about this. But you and I can agree to disagree. No worries.

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Why would you think they would make the whole line animated? Those figures you mentioned were from COMIC packs. Besides, those figures look realistic enough considering the visual sources for them are from comics.

That's the problem MSP, "realistic enough," that's just what the cartoon is. Most of the previous comic figures (Marvel ones not included) are realistic and don't have a cartoonish slant to them (sorry pun not intended).

I kinda get Roron Corobb and Volviff Monn being done like this, though I would have MUCH rather preferred 100% realistic style with them too.

Hasbro just snuck those in hoping we wouldn't mind. We bit, not thinking they'd continue to do so and because we found it acceptable since these were originally CW cartoon characters. They did this with the comic packs because they can hide behind them being comic figures.

See where I'm going with this? As long as we keep accepting this, the animated or hybrid versions are going to be come the standard.

Then, one day when you have friends over that have NEVER seen your collection, they're going to ask why some look realistic and others look "funny" almost cartoon like. Then you'll look back and realize you've now got well over 100 hybird figures, many of which are NOT Clone Wars cartoon characters....

If I'm wrong I'll have NO problem swallowing my words But that's going to take a direct, specific answer from Hasbro, not anyone of us.

2-1B
02-17-2008, 11:08 PM
So certain are you?

Sorry Caes, I'm not convinced yet. Until hasbro outright says it, I'm going to be concerned about this. But you and I can agree to disagree. No worries.

I hear what you're saying, I just don't think this show will be all that successful...I don't see it taking off in popularity, so I doubt Hasbro will pursue that angle. But we shall see, my friend. :)

:thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Why would they make animated figures from movies that weren't animated? Other than ones that were also in the comics, I don't see the point.

decadentdave
02-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Why don't they make animated style characters from the classic trilogy like Han, Leia and Luke? I'd buy that for a dollar.

Slicker
02-17-2008, 11:52 PM
I like the animated but only for the Clone Wars since it was...well...animated. Anything else would be EU to me and you know my utter distaste for EU.

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 11:55 PM
I hear what you're saying, I just don't think this show will be all that successful...I don't see it taking off in popularity, so I doubt Hasbro will pursue that angle. But we shall see, my friend. :)

:thumbsup:

Yes we shall. If the popularity of the previous cartoon was any indication though and the ensuing clamoring for more figures from that cartoon, then I think it's going to last a bit longer than people might expect.

Time will tell.

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Why would they make animated figures from movies that weren't animated? Other than ones that were also in the comics, I don't see the point.

It's the trend now and another way for Hasbro to cash in.

Look at Pirates. They're figures were realistic, now they've gone animated. Heck we've got maquettes for SW that are animated versions of OT characters and there is NO cartoon for them. So Hasbro making this change is a distinct possibility.

jedi master sal
02-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Why don't they make animated style characters from the classic trilogy like Han, Leia and Luke? I'd buy that for a dollar.

Shh, please no offense, but I among many other collectors just don't want to see that clogging up the pegs when there are still many more characters to be made in the realistic style.

Slicker
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Shh, please no offense, but I among many other collectors just don't want to see that clogging up the pegs when there are still many more characters to be made in the realistic style.That's exactly how I feel.

I unfortunately think they'll do it eventually so they can just make every figure all over again but in cartoon style. Sad but true.

bigbarada
02-18-2008, 12:57 AM
An animated OT line of super-articulated figures? What an awesome idea! I'd buy those! :cool:

Seriously I would. I like the look of the CW Clonetroopers and will probably display my AT-TE with those instead of the realistic SL versions. The action features are the only thing killing my interest in this line (I was actually a big fan of the 2003-04 animated CW line, I didn't like the realistic CW figures at all).

While this animated style might be the death of collecting for some, the expanded focus on the Expanded Universe is the death of collecting for me. I want nothing to do with these ridiculous novel, video game, and comic book characters.

Sooooo, the animated styling is cool, the comic packs suck!:p

bigbarada
02-18-2008, 01:40 AM
I guess I should qualify my remarks to say that it would depend on how well the figures are made. The Mighty Muggs are an animated style, but they look like garbage. But, if we we're talking about super-articulated 3 3/4" versions of something along the lines of the Gentle Giant animated statues, then I would be all for it.:thumbsup:

plasticfetish
02-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Seriously, why do you guys insist on assuming that a line of animated style action figures are geared toward any of you at all? This is obviously a line of toys geared toward kids.

If you're not into the idea of collecting action figures based on animated characters, that's one thing, but to get all weird about the concept, and to make bold assumptions about how popular it will be based on your own collecting habits, is just silly.

Hasbro seems to be doing as much as they can to cater to as many differnet kinds of collectors as possible. Sure, maybe they're trying to jump on too many bandwagons at once, but you can't blame them for wanting to run with the whole "animation" idea at this point.

There isn't jack-s*** out there right now to get the kids excited, other than Transformers, and that's been handled very poorly. Once this new cartoon drops, I have a feeling that most of you will be shocked by how big it is.

Old Fossil
02-18-2008, 07:07 AM
I don't think there'll be any problems with these animated-style figures selling, though I won't be buying any of them.

The only Clone-themed items I plan on buying are some ARCs from the Order 66 packs. I'm also passing on the AT-TE. Just no room in my collection for such a big, non-iconic vehicle.

jedi master sal
02-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Once this new cartoon drops, I have a feeling that most of you will be shocked by how big it is.

I won't be shocked by it at all. I expect it to start out very strong.
However my fear is that Hasbro will look at that and use it as a reason to make the whole line animated in style.

I look at the big picture and what I'm seeing is that Hasbro is trying to cash in on another style knowing some collectors will follow suit. I understand that with regards to the cartoon, but NOT in the main line. And as I already outlined it previously in this thread, they've already tested the waters with we collectors to see if we'd bite on it and we did. As I also mentioned they've introduced more of these hybrids into the regular line.

To me it's as if they (Hasbro) are deliberately trying to alienate much of the collecting community, knowing there will be some collectors who will go with it and others who won't.

It's a very risky move and one I think that is going to ultimately backfire on them and consequently us too.

I understand the animated figs aren't geared specifically towards adult collectors. They are just representations of what's in the show. By adding action features to most of them, it's readily apparent that they are geared towards kids. Fine and dandy, just don't do that to the whole line and don't alienate we collectors who have been with the line for the 30 years prior to now.

As much as Hasbro says we collectors do not drive the SW toy market, I'm willing to bet that if we bailed in large numbers, Hasbro would sit up and take notice, especially if it hits them in wallet.

Blue2th
02-18-2008, 09:42 AM
I for one will not be buying any of these new Clone Wars figures in the animated style, but I'm an adult (somewhat) and these are obviously geared towards kids.

I will be telling the Hot Wheels-crossover-Star Wars scalpers that I'm aquainted with that these are really hot, so they can help Hasbro clear the pegs. (this one HW guy told me he bought ten Holo Vaders- what a tool!)

Personally, I never did like any of the OTC animated maquettes, but if Hasbro wants to cash in on the whole animated thing, let them. Apparently they know what they are doing.

All I know if there isn't much other stuff to buy then I will not be spending as much as I did last year.
As far as the Clone Wars clogging the pegs, I think there is still Saga II figures there to take care of, plus a few TAC's.

Dark Marble
02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
I am so glad I am not alone here! I am not very impressed by the clone wars cartoony stuff, but the movie stuff and some of the comic packs I am down for. As I was looking at the clone wars stuff I was thinking that besides the vehicles I would pass on it.

I hope the kids dig it and I hope it generates more interest in Star Wars. I will not be buying. But that is ok, there seems to be plenty of other things on the Star Wars collecting front to keep the adults busy too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-18-2008, 12:17 PM
All this moaning and crying is just stupid.

Yes, I would have preferred realistic style figures for the show. But, then again, I think I'm one of the very, very few people on this site who are actually looking forward to it, so I don't know why most of you here would even contemplate buying these figures if they were done in the realistic style anyway. I have to think that they'll do these figures again sometime down the road to better match the movies. If you can, just wait for those.

The comic pack figures are completely separate from the main line and aren't "infecting" it in any way whatsoever. Right from the start, that line has featured funky coloring and/or slightly stylized sculpts (look at Mara Jade and Dark Woman - their proportions are completely unrealistic, and yet I never heard any complaining). They've never truly been 100% realistic or meant to fit with the movie figures. None of the pictures from Toy Fair look to me like they're making them "cartoony;" they're basing them off of the source material. Someone brought up Xizor's head - yeah, he has a big head, so what? He's a big green lizard man, he's NEVER going to be "realistic."

I really don't think they're going to start making OT figures in the style of the Clone Wars figures. Even if they do, they would be separate from the others, in the same way that the Clone Wars line is NOT the Legacy Collection. It's not like you don't already own 87 Han Solo figures, for chrissakes, so even if they made an animated one I don't think it would hurt. Just don't buy it. They made animated-style figures in 1985 and 2003 and yet those stylings didn't carry over into the movie figures.

And, yet again, everyone is completely overlooking all the awesome stuff Hasbro is making. It's just like last year, when people kept harping on about Moisture Vaporator Luke and pretty much forgot about Hermi Odle, Academy Biggs, CZ-4, and all the other figures they'd been crying for for years. Yarna and the AT-TE were, judging by this site, THE TWO MOST REQUESTED ITEMS of the past several years. Now they've been made and they look fantastic. But does anyone even care? No, they're too busy jumping ship because of a kid-oriented subline from a TV show they didn't want to see anyway.

They've done lines exclusively for kids before, too. Look at Force Battlers and Galactic Heroes, for example -- those are (or were) separate from the main line, and I've yet to see any 3 3/4" Lukes done in either of these styles. Your retarded fears are completely unfounded.

If you want to quit, quit. But quitting just because of a subline -- based on the biggest SW event since 2005, mind you -- is just asinine.

But that is ok, there seems to be plenty of other things on the Star Wars collecting front to keep the adults busy too.
I completely agree. I don't see why more people don't see it this way.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Personally I can't wait for the Clone Wars Cartoon, I loved the micro series, and i will more than likely love this one. I understand that the figures aren't for me, they're for the kids, and you know what that's a great thing. Hasbro and Lucas both need to get kids back into the line and back into star wars. (Though from what i've seen in the toy aisles kid's are still with the line.)

The toys though i was really looking forward to. Why? Barris Offee, Anakin's apprentice, A baby hutt, Rex, just to name a few...what are all those characters? NEW! (Or in need of a resculpt) I have no problem with Hasbro making this subline and gearing it torward kids, and packing them with action features doesn't bother me what so ever. I just wished they made it realistic and more compatiable with the rest of my collection.

If Hasbro made an OT animated line...I'd pass. I passed on the mighty muggs, and i would pass on these. I think that's an horriable idea, and why on earth would collectors want something like this i'd never know because if they made a cartoon based on the OT 90% of you OT fan boys wouldn't be happy with it for some reason or another. (Maybe Yarna's going to be skinny!?) (Luke's hair doesn't point the right way...I could keep going...Chewie looks like a doverman animated...Leia's juggs are to big...Jabba's got a eating disorder..The Rancor needs a cap on his right front tooth...3P0's animated voice actor doesn't hit the high note like Anthony..

My Point is collectors are never happy. (Myself included) and we forget that Star Wars just isn't about us. (Because were all Addicts...Addicts always think the world revoloves around them.) We gotta admit that kids need some play features and toys marketed for them and their play needs...not SA soft good sculpts Hybrid sculpts.

I also thought the comic pack sculpts looked great! I think Hasbro is doing a great job on those, and the Evolutions also kicked some major booty!

jedi master sal
02-18-2008, 01:52 PM
All this moaning and crying is just stupid.

Yes, I would have preferred realistic style figures for the show. But, then again, I think I’m one of the very, very few people on this site who are actually looking forward to it, so I don’t know why most of you here would even contemplate buying these figures if they were done in the realistic style anyway. I have to think that they’ll do these figures again sometime down the road to better match the movies. If you can, just wait for those.

Let’s hope Hasbro does at least the NEW characters in the realistic style at some point. At least Hasbro could capture that money from we collectors who are against the animate style.

The comic pack figures are completely separate from the main line and aren’t “infecting” it in any way whatsoever. Right from the start, that line has featured funky coloring and/or slightly stylized sculpts (look at Mara Jade and Dark Woman - their proportions are completely unrealistic, and yet I never heard any complaining). They’ve never truly been 100% realistic or meant to fit with the movie figures. None of the pictures from Toy Fair look to me like they’re making them “cartoony;” they’re basing them off of the source material. Someone brought up Xizor’s head - yeah, he has a big head, so what? He’s a big green lizard man, he’s NEVER going to be “realistic.”

I never said the comic book characters were infecting the line, so I don’t know if yo mean me. What I said was that I’m seeing a trend of the hybrid style slowly creeping into the mainline of figures and we are either have been unsuspecting of it up til now or have accepted it. Xizor, Cade Skywalker and definitely Talon Kardde all have a hybrid animated slant to their heads. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES. Yet, Villie and Vos didn’t. In fact baring the Marvel figs, which are supposed to be that off in color, I can’t really recall any that have the heads sculpted in the hybrid style.

I really don’t think they’re going to start making OT figures in the style of the Clone Wars figures. Even if they do, they would be separate from the others, in the same way that the Clone Wars line is NOT the Legacy Collection. It’s not like you don’t already own 87 Han Solo figures, for chrissakes, so even if they made an animated one I don’t think it would hurt. Just don’t buy it. They made animated-style figures in 1985 and 2003 and yet those stylings didn’t carry over into the movie figures.

Yep you’re right here. If Hasbro make OT animated style I won’t buy them either,

And, yet again, everyone is completely overlooking all the awesome stuff Hasbro is making. It’s just like last year, when people kept harping on about Moisture Vaporator Luke and pretty much forgot about Hermi Odle, Academy Biggs, CZ-4, and all the other figures they’d been crying for, for years. Yarna and the AT-TE were, judging by this site, THE TWO MOST REQUESTED ITEMS of the past several years. Now they’ve been made and they look fantastic. But does anyone even care? No, they’re too busy jumping ship because of a kid-oriented subline from a TV show they didn’t want to see anyway.

I’m definitely not overlooking the AT-TE. Anyone can see by the posts I’ve made about the AT-TE that I’ve long been looking forward to it and am happy to finally get it and am buy no less than 3 of them, possibly 5.

They’ve done lines exclusively for kids before, too. Look at Force Battlers and Galactic Heroes, for example -- those are (or were) separate from the main line, and I’ve yet to see any 3 3/4” Lukes done in either of these styles. Your retarded fears are completely unfounded.

The major flaw in this statement though is that they weren’t really tied into a movie/show event, so they had nothing to back up their style of sculpt, hence one big reason they died off as sublines.

JJL, I really hope you weren’t directing the “retard” flame towards me. But seeing as I’m the one who specifically used the word “fear” in my posts, I’ll make a reasonable assumption you did mean it towards me. No, I do not believe my fears are unfounded. Just looking at the little bits that have flown under the radar so far (as I’ve already described), I DO see this as a very real potential problem for the realistic style. Again, I’ll reiterate, would you rather see an animated style Ponda Baba or realistic SA style of Ponda Baba? How about Toryn Farr who has never been made before. Animated? What would she really look right standing/sitting next to? For my dollars, I’d much rather have realistic style.

Again, I get that Hasbro made animated style for the cartoon because that is the way the cartoon was made. I’m saying to them to leave the main line realistic, again including comic packs, battle packs, multipacks, etc. If it’s not a specific Clone Wars cartoon character, then don’t mess with it.

If you want to quit, quit. But quitting just because of a subline -- based on the biggest SW event since 2005, mind you -- is just asinine.

No, I don’t think so, nor do MANY collectors across MANY SW collecting sites. And I personally didn’t say I was quitting, but I will be severely drawing down how much I buy. I’ve already cut my budget in half from $6K to $3K. Hasbro has just made it that much easier to maintain that goal or even come under that.

Oh and for the record, I'm greatly looking forward to the cartoon, just not so much the action figures. So much so, that I'll finally be getting cable, specifically for the cartoon.

plasticfetish
02-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I won't be shocked by it at all. I expect it to start out very strong. However my fear is that Hasbro will look at that and use it as a reason to make the whole line animated in style.I don't think you'll have to worry. Hasbro isn't going to trade one cash cow for another. They'll more than likely milk as many different styles and product ideas as possible. I mean... we're talking about the company that put Darth Vader on a chopper here. ;)

My big beef with the animated line, is that Lucas has stated that the cartoon will be for an "older" crowd, so I'm not sure who Hasbro's marketing the line to at all. Sure, it's a kids line of toys, but if the animated show is geared toward the teen and above crowd, who's gonna buy a "cute" Yoda with rocket firing wizard sleeve?

I think they should have gone in a separate direction with the animated figures. Use the style, scale and amount of detail that they've been doing with the G.I. Joe Sigma 6 toys, and it'll appeal to an older crowd. (Those other larger scale animated Star Wars figures sucked, but only because they did them wrong. They were too simplistic.) It would have also created a little concept separation between the figure lines... which is, I assume, what bothers you Sal.

I saw a 5 year old shopping with his Mom the other day, and he had her buy him a Destroyer Droid figure. If the kid's buying and playing with regular basic figures at his age, I'm just not sure that he (and kids like him) would want to downgrade to something more kiddie like. Sometimes I think Hasbro underestimates their audience.

I will be telling the Hot Wheels-crossover-Star Wars scalpers that I'm aquainted with that these are really hot, so they can help Hasbro clear the pegs.That's brilliant!!! :D

jedi master sal
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
...It would have also created a little concept separation between the figure lines... which is, I assume, what bothers you Sal.

Yes, more seperation between the lines would have helped.

I guess one BIG thing that bothers me in all of this is that Hasbro outright lied to us.

We (and I mean all the major collecting sites) kept hounding them on the question if these figures were animated or realistic. They chose a non-answer or kept saying they wouldn't be like the Gendy cartoon. No sh**! Of course they wouldn't be like the OLD cartoon. So why not just say they'd be like the CG animated NEW show?

As I mentioned previously, I think they already had it in their minds to do these figures this way for the cartoon.

Again that really doesn't bother me so much as the fact that I'm seeing a hybrid style of these being slowly intertwined with the main line. THAT is my biggest fear. Had there not been now 5 figures at least that already demonstrate this, I most likely would not have thought about it.

You're also most likely right that Hasbro will look to drink from the well as many times and ways as they can.

Heh, well if my fears pan out I won't say anything, as you all know/knew how I stand/stood on the issue. If I'm wrong then you can call me a crazy ol' coot who should have taken his blood pressure medication before looking at the Toy Fair coverage.

(For the record as of this writing, I do not take blood pressure medication. I was just trying to be funny.)

decadentdave
02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Why do we have a Clone Commander named Rex? Sounds like a dog. "Haw Rex, want some biscuits? Here Rex. Here boy. Fetch."

JON9000
02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I have PF's back on this one. Hasbro knows collectors dig realism, so I don't think we will ever see movie based characters in an animated style (at least not exclusively). Heck, the early POTF2 figures might as well have been animated with their buffed up bodies, so, in a way, we've already been through this debate! Realism wins.

These animated figs are from an animated feature, so I have no problem with that.

As far as comic packs and EU, open the comics up and see how closely the figures look to the artists' renditions inside. That is how comic pack figs are supposed to look, as JJL points out. I know it is a pain in the butt when Hasbro releases comic renditions of figures we don't have in "realistic" releases, such as Han and Luke Stormy disguise, but you know we will get them eventually, Hasbro just has to get the suckers that'll buy one now plus the one they really want later. These dummies are called completists and are the target of scorn.

All that said, Derovio Bold looks a wee bit animated!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-18-2008, 07:09 PM
I never said the comic book characters were infecting the line, so I don’t know if yo mean me. What I said was that I’m seeing a trend of the hybrid style slowly creeping into the mainline of figures and we are either have been unsuspecting of it up til now or have accepted it. Xizor, Cade Skywalker and definitely Talon Kardde all have a hybrid animated slant to their heads. TAKE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES. Yet, Villie and Vos didn’t. In fact baring the Marvel figs, which are supposed to be that off in color, I can’t really recall any that have the heads sculpted in the hybrid style.
Again, the Comic Packs are NOT the main line. The ones you mentioned aren't based on the new Clone Wars cartoon or anything; they're based on and sculpted like their source material (their whole bodies). Vilmarh Grahrk was indeed sculpted to not be completely realistic -- I forgot to mention him earlier, but he's way too skinny to be "real."

JJL, I really hope you weren’t directing the “retard” flame towards me. But seeing as I’m the one who specifically used the word “fear” in my posts, I’ll make a reasonable assumption you did mean it towards me.
No, I wasn't directing that word at you, or anyone else in particular. I just feel the whole situation is a little ridiculous.

No, I do not believe my fears are unfounded. Just looking at the little bits that have flown under the radar so far (as I’ve already described), I DO see this as a very real potential problem for the realistic style. Again, I’ll reiterate, would you rather see an animated style Ponda Baba or realistic SA style of Ponda Baba? How about Toryn Farr who has never been made before. Animated? What would she really look right standing/sitting next to? For my dollars, I’d much rather have realistic style.

Again, I get that Hasbro made animated style for the cartoon because that is the way the cartoon was made. I’m saying to them to leave the main line realistic, again including comic packs, battle packs, multipacks, etc. If it’s not a specific Clone Wars cartoon character, then don’t mess with it.
Of course I would also rather see realistic style, even on the Clone Wars figures. I don't see the Comic Packs as part of the main line, which I guess is where we differ. I don't even mind them putting slight stylizations on comic pack figures, since they've never been too extreme to me (apart from the colors).

No, I don’t think so, nor do MANY collectors across MANY SW collecting sites. And I personally didn’t say I was quitting, but I will be severely drawing down how much I buy. I’ve already cut my budget in half from $6K to $3K. Hasbro has just made it that much easier to maintain that goal or even come under that.
I know you're not quitting completely. I think it's fine if people don't want to buy these figures. But I also think it's a bit extreme to completely stop buying all SW figures just because you dislike some of them (as a few people in this thread have said; you're not included here, Sal).

I guess one BIG thing that bothers me in all of this is that Hasbro outright lied to us.
That does **** me off a bit, too. But does anyone have the Q&A of where they actually addressed this? (I'm looking at you, JT.) I remember from my own experience, when I asked one of the guys at CIV about whether they'd be realistic or not, he asked my opinion and I said I preferred realistic. He said they were leaning in that direction but would probably do some stylization. So, yeah, I dunno.

wizard sleeve
:D

These dummies are called completists and are the target of scorn.
Hey! :eek: :mad:

;)

Mad Slanted Powers
02-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I agree with Mr.JJL. I don't know what figures sal is talking about that have been animated in the main line. The only animated or hybrids as you say have been figures from animated sources. The comic pack figures are meant to be in animated style based on the comics they are from. Outside of the Marvel comic packs, they haven't seemed to cartoony. They've looked fairly realistic to me. I just don't see any precedent for them to suddenly start releasing movie figures in an animated style outside of the comic packs.

Kidhuman
02-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Volviff Monn, Rorron Corob have had slight animation look to them because of the cartoon.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Volviff Monn, Rorron Corob have had slight animation look to them because of the cartoon.

But not like this CW crap that's getting tossed at us. I actually like Volviff and Rorron unlike the animated stuff that Hasbro claimed they'd never make again.

Kidhuman
02-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I am not saying they are crap, but they have a slight aimated look to them. Thats what JMS meant by hybrid figures. Even Hermie was slightly animated ot me.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but they still look better than the aminated stuff in the CW line.

Blue2th
02-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I already have a nice diorama of nothing but characters from the Star Wars Clone Wars I realistic style.
With series one type armored Clone Troopers, along with Arc Troopers pouring out of a Command Gunship, along with all the characters and ships, droids, and armor made for the CW line.
I'm not going to put animated Clones, or any other type of semi-animated characters on the same shelf when I finally get that AT-TE and display it.
Nope, it just wouldn't look consistent with what I already have.
To me these are just a novelty, but hey the kids can have their fun playing and mixing it up.
To us semi-serious to serious diorama builders, they're just not going to work.
Did I mention alot of our Episode II stuff can get mixed in there, because in AOTC, "Begun the Clone Wars have" with the same ships, and armor etc.

It would take Hasbro years to match what they have already done. Don't think we'll be seeing anything beyond the characters who are animated.
Yet they want it both ways. I guess the only way to make animated characters, and still use the realistic (well they areout of preportion realistic anyways) ships and vehicles and still sell a ton of each was to go this semi-animated route.
So I understand Hasbro's decision.

plasticfetish
02-19-2008, 12:07 AM
So why not just say they'd be like the CG animated NEW show?I'm betting that it has something to do with the fact that nothing is written in stone until Lucas gives his final approval. As is, we're getting both kinds of figures. We'll have a few animated style figures, and a few more "realistic" style figures. Hasbro may not have had the whole issue worked out and approved until recently... who knows.

Volviff Monn, Rorron Corob have had slight animation look to them because of the cartoon.Well... that's a tough call to make. Cartoon or not, anytime you put a werewolf or a fish-man in a Jedi robe, it's gonna look a little cartoonish maybe. :D

:DI'm guessing that you got the vague Borat reference. :thumbsup:

JON9000
02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
From Toy Fair Q&A summary at RS:

Question: Will the Clone Wars figures from the series get a realistic style treatment?

Hasbro: Maybe down the road, but the focus now is to produce figure that look like they jumped right off the screen. Easier for kids to recognize them in the stores.

There you have- kid show, kid toy. Collectors will be serviced later, thank you.

NOW, CAN WE ALL AGREE TO LIVE IN PEACE?

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Am I the only person around who remembers George going on at length about this wasn't a kids' show, that it would be rated PG-13, and there'd never been a cartoon this adult-oriented... until it wound up on Cartoon Network, and now suddenly it's a kids' show?

Kidhuman
02-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I recall it. I also recall him saying the original theatrical releases of the OT will never be on DVD.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I also remember that George got a memo called "Bin Laden determined to attack in the US" and supposedly ignored it.

Wait, wrong George. Maybe there are more important things to worry about after all. ;)

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 01:09 PM
What, that the people with the ability to stop terrorism will essentially ignore it, while using the fear of it as a tool to gain unprecedented political power?

Don't move this to the Rancor Pit. I was talking about Palpatine. Honest. :D

jedi master sal
02-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah Chux. I remember it clearly.

Course, I also remember Hasbro saying they would make an AT-TE...

Nor playsets-here's hoping for that one.

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Hasbro did say, however, that, if the AT-TE figured into the new CW cartoon, there was a good chance we'd get one.

JON9000
02-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Newsflash, everybody: Star Wars is for kids. You like because you liked it as a kid. The new films are for kids. The Clone Wars are for kids. Toys are for kids. Gentle Giant prototype Slave Leia was for... uh, erm.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-19-2008, 07:09 PM
...and Trix are for kids, but I still wanted that rabbit to have some.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-19-2008, 07:43 PM
...and Trix are for kids, but I still wanted that rabbit to have some.

Give the Rabbit some Trix. Give me some non animated CW figures.

plasticfetish
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Am I the only person around who remembers George going on at length about this wasn't a kids' show, that it would be rated PG-13, and there'd never been a cartoon this adult-oriented... until it wound up on Cartoon Network, and now suddenly it's a kids' show?Yes, I was remembering it way back in post #36. ;)

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 12:10 AM
My bad. I missed that.

Did anyone else realize that the title of this thread has SUCK in big letters, yet it has now gone 59 posts without a single Slicker's Mom joke?

That calls for a celebration of some sort, doesn't it?

jedi master sal
02-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Nope. A thread needs to hit 60 posts before mention of Slicker's mom. You ruined that by one post Chux!

So no "Slicker's mom celebration" for this thread... :whip:

plasticfetish
02-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I was waiting 'til post #69.

Droid
02-29-2008, 11:27 AM
The new Anakin figure is extremely odd to me.

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=26418

He is wearing an outfit like no other than we have ever seen on a Jedi. And the top part of the outfit reminds me of the uniforms from Star Trek the Next Generation.

I don't get this figure at all.

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 11:35 AM
He's wearing part of Vader's armor over his AOTC/ROTS robes. (Which is odd, since he didn't wear this in ROTS.) This particular design just isn't very well executed, though, so the robes look strange.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-29-2008, 12:03 PM
He's wearing part of Vader's armor over his AOTC/ROTS robes. (Which is odd, since he didn't wear this in ROTS.) This particular design just isn't very well executed, though, so the robes look strange.
You're right, so it's a good thing the infallible Genndy never did anything like that. (http://starwars.ugo.com/images/dvds/starwars_clonewars_volume2/starwars_clonewars_volume2_1.jpg)

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 12:05 PM
It's more subtle.

And Genndy is still infallible. Face it: in the past ten years, what's the better epic, Samurai Jack or the Star Wars Prequels? :D

Jedi_Kal-El
02-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Nope. A thread needs to hit 60 posts before mention of Slicker's mom. You ruined that by one post Chux!

So no "Slicker's mom celebration" for this thread... :whip:

I didn't realize there was a set number of posts per thread before you could throw in the SM joke. Kinda takes the fun out of it don't you think Sal?

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 10:05 PM
No, it's a set number of posts in a thread about "sucking" that you have a celebration if you get to that number.

Or something. It hasn't happened yet.

Qui-Long Gone
02-29-2008, 10:10 PM
It's more subtle.

And Genndy is still infallible. Face it: in the past ten years, what's the better epic, Samurai Jack or the Star Wars Prequels? :D

Amen....imagine if all of the prequels were done by Genndy?

Mad Slanted Powers
02-29-2008, 10:14 PM
It's more subtle.

I've not see Samurai Jack, so the Prequels win. I didn't think that highly of the Clone Wars cartoon. I enjoyed it, but I think the animation style and the way they made Mace and others seem like Superman made it seem less like Star Wars. Same thing with the whole Durge sequence.

Qui-Long Gone
02-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I've not see Samurai Jack, so the Prequels win. I didn't think that highly of the Clone Wars cartoon. I enjoyed it, but I think the animation style and the way they made Mace and others seem like Superman made it seem less like Star Wars. Same thing with the whole Durge sequence.

See Jack and you'll put the prequels second....

I though Windu was more interesting in the cartoon because he had a type of super like power.....he never really unloaded in the films....the arena fight was lame and that office fight with Sidius was horrible.....to each his own I suppose....

Mad Slanted Powers
02-29-2008, 10:33 PM
See Jack and you'll put the prequels second....

I though Windu was more interesting in the cartoon because he had a type of super like power.....he never really unloaded in the films....the arena fight was lame and that office fight with Sidius was horrible.....to each his own I suppose....That whole scene where he is practically flying everywhere and taking out all those battle droids with some ridiculous looking boxing moves that I would expect from a Tom & Jerry cartoon or something just didn't look right at all. The story was all right I guess, but stuff like that truly made it a cartoon, rather than an animated series.

TheCivilCollector
03-01-2008, 12:21 PM
For what they're trying to do with Clone Wars, I think they've crafted a win. Clone Wars is meant to gather a new generation of fans who will want the toys. They're catering to the stylized look prevalent in other shows these days. I know it's hard for adult collectors to admit, but not a lot of kids care about Star Wars. And in that respect, it shows how much George blew it with the Prequels. He said all along he was "making them for the kids". That didn't work, and in the process he angered his original fan-base.

Hopefully the live-action series will fix this.

Personally, I think it is a refreshing take on the line, but I also dislike the idea of toys that don't match the rest of my collection. It's a shame they couldn't produce the "Clone Wars" line, then give us the same characters in a "saga" friendly look. See which does better, then go with it. I can't help but think that my "Clone Wars Animated" figures will stay forever segregated from from saga figs, any "Clone Wars" stuff would share the same fate.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-01-2008, 12:27 PM
I can't help but think that my "Clone Wars Animated" figures will stay forever segregated from from saga figs, any "Clone Wars" stuff would share the same fate.

I didn't buy the original CW animated figures, and I won't be getting these new ones, so I don't have the problem of segregation in my collection.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2008, 01:41 PM
I didn't buy the original CW animated figures either, but their look was so extremely animated in a style I didn't care for. This new look is a lot better, so I probably will get them, though I might pass on that Yoda.

darth_robb
03-23-2008, 02:41 PM
I guess I am in the minority here, but I don't have a problem at all with the Clone Wars figures looking like they do in the animated series. That's kind of the point isn't it? Too have figures that look like the entertainment. When the animated figures from the Cartoon Network show came out I thought those were great and I was hoping for more, but they stopped. It's not like we don't get enough Anakin's and Obi-Wan's etc. in the regular line that we need them to rehash them more then they already do. I think it's nice to have a change in the style as long as they stick to what's relevant. Sure I don't want them to animate the entire Star Wars universe unless there was a TV show or movie that made sense for it, but based on just making the figures from the upcoming series I don't see the problem with it. I mean do Mighty Muggs and Star Wars Transformers have a reason to exist in that form? No, but some people enjoy them and some people don't. I guess it just comes down to buy them if you like them or pass on them if you don't. I never cared for the Transformers crossover and so I don't buy them. Just my opinion.

DarthBobul
03-23-2008, 03:28 PM
I just got done looking at the pictures of the AT-TE. Looks pretty cool to me and if the price is right it will added to my collection. My Clone Wars selection is very limited as Im more of the vintage toys these days, but I like whatthey have started to do with size of the vehicles. GI Joes line in the 80's always seemed to build these monster vehicles and playsets that were scaled to the figures. Then there was this period it seemed were it seemed like the figures and the vehicles didnt pit right. (IE Power Ranger) Glad to see that toy makers are back on the right track. Anyone know what the AT-TE msrp is?

Blue2th
03-23-2008, 03:48 PM
The new animated clones and droids might actually look good next to some of the Clone Wars 1 animated figures. They though being from the CGI series, might be close to what we saw in Clone Wars 1.

I've got more of the AOTC style clones than any others, and plenty to go with the AT-TE. So I won't need any animated ones at all.
They are so numerous that my Gunships have to make multiple trips to pick them all up. They are as eager to get their new AT-TE as I am.

jedi master sal
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Anyone know what the AT-TE msrp is?

$99 as quoted by Hasbro at Toy fair.

DarthBobul
03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
$99 as quoted by Hasbro at Toy fair.

That plus an extra army of clone troopers to add to the effect may cost me $200! :thumbsup:

jedi master sal
03-24-2008, 07:34 AM
That plus an extra army of clone troopers to add to the effect may cost me $200! :thumbsup:

You mean you haven't been buying clones as you've gone along?

Ouch, that would hurt a bit then.

I've got well more than enough to man the AT-TEs that I plan on getting. I can't wait to get them all set-up next to this beaut of a vehicle.

Darth Cruel
04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I have never liked the animated versions of the figures. The ones from the 1st Clone Wars cartoon series sucked as bad as these. I bought those because I am a completist, but they never breathed fresh air in my house. I was happy that they did the realistic versions of them as well. And I an hoping that we see realistic versions of these as well.