PDA

View Full Version : General Kenobi in Clone Armor (AKA the 'Holy Smokes' thread)

AmanaMatt
02-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow - the armor era has begun!

jedibear
02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Looks good....can I have my AOTC Obi-Wan now? :)

Blue2th
02-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh yeah!!!! I'm all over this one!
Just when I was thinking about making one out of the Sideshow Obi-Wan and Hasbro Clone parts.
A holo Cody too!

Thanks for the heads-up AmanaMatt :thumbsup:

AmanaMatt
02-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the heads-up AmanaMatt :thumbsup:

Anytime!

Looks good....can I have my AOTC Obi-Wan now? :)

Probably will be a while, but I am sure they will get to him.

What I especially love on this piece is how good the armor looks - he is up for preorder this Friday guys.

jonthejedi
02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I have a feeling that armor will be white-spray-painted shell plastic like their Endor trooper helments...only white. Gorgeous-looking fig., but the armor may not be as pliable as what Medicom does with RAH line. I'm afraid it's going to end up on the more brittle side. Hope I'm wrong.

Tycho
02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
My friend who buys the Medicom stuff said this figure is made from the Medicom stuff which SideShow distributes. They just slapped a new headsculpt on it to make it Obi-Wan and changed some things with the Jedi robes.

I don't think this one was on my wish list, but now that I'm seeing it, I'm very tempted to getting him. So I probably will.

Right now I'm gathering strength to resist him. But you never know.

EDIT: CRAP! Obi-Wan looks great but he's not on my list. I'd have no figures to display this one with and since I'm a "display person" and not a collector, I'll just have to forgo ordering him and admire him whenever I see him in someone else's collection.

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 04:05 PM
The Medicom armor is a smaller scale than SSC's bodies, it wouldn't fit properly, there would be a lot of gaps.

jedibear
02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Tycho, your friend is very much mistaken...

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=tf08-video

Check out the release announcement video over at Sideshow...this is a new body developed by Sideshow specifically for armored characters. He doesn't get real detailed, but my guess is the emphasis is on articulation instead of bulk so that the armor appears to fit more snugly to the body instead of being oversized like the Hasbro figures appeared.
And jonthejedi...I don't think the armor itself will be just white-sprayed plastic (!), but molded white plastic...yes, harder than standard PVC (again mentioned in the video) but it will allow for better, sharper detail. Sounds good to me...

I'll display him dueling Assaj...I think he'll look pretty cool!

jonthejedi
02-18-2008, 05:03 PM
I have most of Medicom's RAH SW line. Unlike the softer, rubbery plastic(read flimsy) that Hasbro used, Medicom's trooper line utilizes a harder, but still pliable plastic. I'm envisioning Sideshow's armor is going to be more resiny to the touch, with the color sprayed on. Course, I don't know for sure. It's still a damn nice Obi figure, and I'll probably get it Friday.

jedibear
02-18-2008, 05:27 PM
According to the vid, Sideshow is utilizing an ABS plastic instead of PVC...
Is that what medis are constructed from (don't have one myself...)

decadentdave
02-18-2008, 06:00 PM
$90, no thanks. Pass.

Bosskman
02-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Gonna pass on him as cool as he looks. Can't get into Sideshow EU $$$$. The good news is, an AOTC Obi-Wan Headsulpt is here, as are the possibilities got Stormies and such. That is where my $ will go.

JediTricks
02-18-2008, 10:40 PM
ABS is harder than PVC, a good choice since that's what most SW trooper armor is made from.

AmanaMatt
02-19-2008, 01:52 AM
ABS is a very good choice, and while I am not normally into EU (at all), this is a major exception.

I almost feel 'offended' that Medicom was given any credit with this piece. They are a fine company, but its very obvious that the armor was not Medicom in origin -

This is one of the nicest 1:6 figures I have seen from any company!

sergiurusu
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm not into PT but have to agree Obi looks cool. I'm happy the armored figures are not far behind! :)

AmanaMatt
02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
new body design everyone:

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 01:49 AM
The Prometheus body looks decent, although I don't like the price increase that's come with it.

The armor body looks extremely hip-y.

AmanaMatt
02-20-2008, 10:23 AM
As for the price increase, I do not mind at this point. I would rather pay decent money for a fantastic and consistent quality. A new body was a much needed change, and the fact that the armor one is designed for armor in mind should bode well for future figs, like Stormies and the like

I preordered Indy for the $90 asking price, but with that money, if they include two heads, 8 hands, 2 whips etc for every figure, then that is a good price! Obi Wan with Armor does NOT come with a helmet, which is a tad annoying, but that is such a nice looking piece, that I don't mind - lord knows what that one will cost, but if its $125 or less, that seems to be the standard now for high end 1:6 figs

Jaina Solo
02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Not really thrilled with the figure itself, it's an easy pass for me. The new body type and the fact that they're making armor- THAT'S the big deal. I'll save my money for the eventual Stormtroopers, among other things.

decadentdave
02-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Same here, but I worry that when we do get Stormies and Clones that they will cost not much less than the Medicom versions so it kind of defeats the point of troop building when armored figures are going to cost upwards of $100 each. If these were still at the $60-$70 price point I could see getting multiples but they are already pricing me out of this line. I was hoping to collect a few G.I. Joe 12" but not anymore. Star Wars and Indy alone will bankrupt me.

AmanaMatt
02-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I understand what you are saying, and while people want to army build, it seems most are wanting high quality....given this, and the state of the U.S. dollar versus materials' costs, it seems going into the $90-$115 range was inevitable

What sucks for shipping: if every fig is over $100 then I need to sign for all of em!!!

Blue2th
02-22-2008, 01:09 PM
SS site is busy it seems, but I just got mine. Ouch the price this time.

AmanaMatt
02-22-2008, 11:10 PM
SS site is busy it seems, but I just got mine. Ouch the price this time.

$90 is the price for this armored figure as well as robed Gandalf....way less than many thought!

JediTricks
02-22-2008, 11:15 PM
The one thing I really dislike about the armor is how the boots connect to the shins, something seems way off, maybe the foot is set too far forward or something, but it looks way wrong.

BTW, how come the cool accessory is friggin' exclusive this time? That's gotta suck for a lot of folks who missed out?

AmanaMatt
02-23-2008, 10:22 AM
This is the 3rd exclusive that is a blue holo figure.
Anakin got one of Sidious
Ben got one of Leia

3 exclusives being blue holo figures is NOT cool, to me at least.

I would have prefered the lance or something like that. However, Sideshow seems afraid to release a super cool exclusive for fear of fans' backlash....exclusives can only be a certain level of cool, it seems

Jedi Luke had a great one, as did Bib Fortuna and of course Bespin Han!

Jayspawn
02-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Gonna pass. Here's why...

First of all, it looks sweet! However, I dont believe in Sideshow's marketing/pricing practices and I have to draw the line. I have standards as a collector and the over-pricing of products has gotten out of control.

Therefore, I am cancelling my orders for the Exclusive 12" ANH and ANH Han. I was going to order Galdalf the Grey but NO way is it worth $90. So sorry Sideshow, but others are winning my interest.

plasticfetish
02-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm the king of cancelled orders at this point, and seeing as how I'm really not all that excited by this one, I gave it a pass.

I dunno, maybe if/when I see it in person I'll be more excited, but for some reason this one just doesn't grab me at all. Could be that it seems too clean for a soldier figure... not enough character. I'd imagine his armor being more trashed, and maybe those robes being a bit frayed. His whole outfit has an odd Dr. Doom kind of feel to it that just doesn't seem right.

...and then there's the price. I just blew $200 on heating oil, and don't have $90 to spend on something like this. :dead: And that's not my way of pleading for sympathy, I'm just saying that with people needing to tighten their belts a little these days, I'm not sure how smart it is for Sideshow to start hiking up their prices. Not for something that's basically a luxury item anyway.

AmanaMatt
02-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Dude, this thread is the 'anti Sideshow collectors' thread - like the evil twin of that other forum...

I am shocked at all the negative feelings (for the variety of reasons), as they are making some great figures. I am not into EU, but I am pumped for this Obi Wan...

Personally, price does not bother me. There is NO WAY they are going to make armored figures in the $65 range...and while ANH Luke and Han are not armored, they are not that high in price for what we are getting. I would personally pay higher prices for higher quality -

So far, that seems like what we are getting. I personally really like the direction Sideshow is going lately. And, their figures are getting much lower ES....

decadentdave
02-24-2008, 12:46 AM
You mean the Sideshow Freaks forum? lol

Yeah, those Freaks are all a bunch a kissasses who break into tears whenever somebody criticizes anything about them. They even try to rationalize paying the higher prices. That board is good for some real outrageous laughs.

AmanaMatt
02-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Dude,

Harsh.......hey wait a minute, don't you post there too!?!?!

I like to post there when cool announcements are made, like the Indy fig that has me super pumped.....the board can be fun, but there are some hardcore Sideshow fans....!

Blue2th
02-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Well, Sideshow said this exclusive sold out in a record 8 minutes 57 seconds, so some people wanted this 12" figure.

Any other figure I probably would not have bought. At the increase in price, it definitely puts the strain on the $$. I don't have anything else on my SS list except the Snowbunny Padme which is arriving soon.

BTW: What's with the Captain Rex holo? Obi-Wan's in original Clone Wars I armor. Shouldn't it be Commander Cody?

plasticfetish
02-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Well, Sideshow said this exclusive sold out in a record 8 minutes 57 seconds, so some people wanted this 12" figure.And I wonder how many of them we'll see up on eBay when the time comes. I'm beginning to wonder what percent of these things really end up in the hands of "collectors."

-----

I'm not trying to be anti-Sideshow. I've had a mix of great, bad, and mediocre experiences when it comes to their figures. This is one that I thought I would be somewhat excited about, but for whatever reason, I'm just not.

I'm totally gun shy about ordering something that expensive without getting to see one in person first. That's more than likely what's turning me off here.

Blue2th
02-24-2008, 12:21 PM
And I wonder how many of them we'll see up on eBay when the time comes. I'm beginning to wonder what percent of these things really end up in the hands of "collectors."

-----

I'm not trying to be anti-Sideshow. I've had a mix of great, bad, and mediocre experiences when it comes to their figures. This is one that I thought I would be somewhat excited about, but for whatever reason, I'm just not.

I'm totally gun shy about ordering something that expensive without getting to see one in person first. That's more than likely what's turning me off here.

Yeah huh, Scalp city. It happens every time on the exclusives.
I've checked eBay when I missed some exclusives. No way I'm paying that.

I've been dissapointed a few times with the final product, as opposed to the prototypes, and I see no point in buying the same character just in different garb like Luke and Han. The exception being of course this Obi-Wan, which the first one I liked very much. So even if they used the head from that one it would be ok.
I might even buy a second generation Clone Wars Obi-Wan in armor, which you know they will be making sooner or later.

Watch, we're going to get offered a Mace in armor, perhaps even a Saesee (now that I would like to see)

I do wish they would put some weathering on that armor though.

I'm such a fan of the animated series (I would rather watch those than the Prequels) that any characters (in realistic style) I get very inthused about.

Now if we could just get a Commander Cody with a rocket pack.

AmanaMatt
02-24-2008, 11:11 PM

Understandable. Sideshow does have their 30 day guarantee still, do they not?

decadentdave
02-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes they do. Problem is, you eat it on shipping. I was so disappointed with Yavin Luke I wanted to slash my wrists. I seriously contemplated sending it back and eating the shipping but I thought "Why should I have to pay for their abysmal effort?" So I kept it. I eventually hope to sell for at least what I had paid for it if I can find someone who really wants one. Unfortunately, I just don't see this figure being in much demand, ever.

AmanaMatt
02-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Weird. The one time I had to send something back, they gave me a shipping label - now, this was on a replacement, not return. I am surprised they do not do that with a return....

JediTricks
02-25-2008, 08:32 PM
With a replacement, the fault is their own, so they eat the cost because they're to blame. With a return, the fault is the buyer's.

decadentdave
02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
With a replacement, the fault is their own, so they eat the cost because they're to blame. With a return, the fault is the buyer's.

How is it the buyer's fault when they were mislead and the final product received looked absolutely nothing like the pre-order photos? A sloppy factory paint job is unsatisfactory quality. The buyer should not have to eat shipping on a poor quality product that does not meet the expectations of their 30-day product gurantee. They should stand behind the quality of their work or lack thereof.

JediTricks
02-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Because they post production photos of most items before shipping them, and they have a proviso claiming that actual product coloring may vary.

decadentdave
02-25-2008, 10:37 PM
And how many times have they delayed post-production photos for fear of mass cancellations? It has happened several times and if I recall Yavin Luke was one of them. Their disclaimer "Prototype shown final product may vary" is no excuse for a catch-all CYA. If you're going to gurantee your product and the satisfaction of the customer then stand by it. If the customer is disatisfied with the product then offer them a return RMA pre-paid shipping label. Heck, even Columbia House does it.

plasticfetish
02-26-2008, 01:52 AM
You've got to at least give Sideshow credit for clearly stating that the photos they're showing are of a prototype. It's more than what many (most) other toy companies are willing to do. With that said, I think it's a cop-out when they wait 'til the last minute to post a full set of images. Though they've been a little better about it lately.

Understandable. Sideshow does have their 30 day guarantee still, do they not?Yeah, but I have my "I have better things to do with my time than make trips to the post office to return a product that I wasn't happy with because of one problem or another" policy.

Not to be a total smart alec, but honestly, I hate returning things. A nearly $100 price tag should mean that I don't need to... but I've seen enough production problems with Sideshow figures to make me more than a little wary.

I'm fine with gambling on a figure or two if I manage to order a great exclusive, but the rest can wait 'til I see them up close. A perfect example is how I cancelled my Palpatine/Sidious set. I decided that as cool as that set looked, right now I would probably rather spend my money on the ANH Obi-Wan or Leia Boushh that I've seen at a local shop. (Where it's cheaper than buying from Sideshow with shipping.)

JediTricks
02-26-2008, 05:51 PM
And how many times have they delayed post-production photos for fear of mass cancellations? It has happened several times and if I recall Yavin Luke was one of them. Their disclaimer "Prototype shown final product may vary" is no excuse for a catch-all CYA. If you're going to gurantee your product and the satisfaction of the customer then stand by it. If the customer is disatisfied with the product then offer them a return RMA pre-paid shipping label. Heck, even Columbia House does it.I don't know how many times they've delayed production-level photos, I certainly haven't noticed it lately, and last year on the convention circuit they said they focusing on the issue getting production-quality photos up sooner, possibly even for PPA time.

Columbia House can eat a few cents on media-rate postage for books and CDs and videos, but these are multiple pounds and fairly large, shipping isn't cheap on that. Amazon charges for returns if it's merely general dissatisfaction. Some stores charge a restocking fee as well.

decadentdave
02-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Well I was making a point that would benefit US... THE CONSUMER. You obviously must have a lot of disposable income to argue against the point or you just like to argue against anybody for the sake of argument which I suspect is the latter.

JediTricks
02-26-2008, 06:43 PM
No, but as a fellow consumer, I realize that if Sideshow has to eat all the shipping costs of those who are merely unsatisfied, Sideshow is going to pass those extra costs onto the consumers who don't send the product back. I don't want to have to pay even more simply so some folks can treat Sideshow like a lending library.

decadentdave
02-26-2008, 06:47 PM
All the more reason for them to stand behind their 30-Day product gurantee that the consumer will be satisfied with their purchase or their money back. And you don't think the higher costs of doing business haven't been factored into their 45% price increase this year? Think again.

JON9000
02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
I have one Sideshow Figure: Premium Format Leia. I got her on ebay because I saw pictures taken by people on forums after they recieved the product and gave her good copy. Oh, and BTW, I paid considerably less than what Sideshow was asking. Doing it this way reduces the risk of getting stuck with suck, especially with something as expensive to ship as PF figures.

JediTricks
02-26-2008, 07:15 PM
All the more reason for them to stand behind their 30-Day product gurantee that the consumer will be satisfied with their purchase or their money back. And you don't think the higher costs of doing business haven't been factored into their 45% price increase this year? Think again.
Let me get this straight, your argument is that "we're already absorbing higher costs, so we should absorb even more" - how does that make sense? I know we're already paying more, I complain about it in nearly every Sideshow comment I make, but adding yet another cost onto that certainly won't lower any prices there.

They do stand by their price guarantee, you get your money back for the price of the purchase made. Yes, you eat the $7 in shipping, but that's how you get the product back to them so they can give you your $60+. They don't even charge you a restocking fee even though you've pawed your grubby mitts all over the item, making it more difficult to sell again at full price - what other SW licensee goes that far?

decadentdave
02-26-2008, 09:20 PM
No, that's not the point. The point is they've already inflated their prices therefore they should stand behind their product gurantee. They can't please everybody all of the time but can please most, most of the time if they would put more effort, which we know they are capable of (as demonstrated by Old Ben), in better factory paints that resemble the prototypes so the final product is more accurately represented by the pre-order images. Case-in-point: Ilum Padme. I thought the pre-order images looked bad so (thank God) I didn't order it. Now the images from those who have received her are trickling in and the final product looks even WORSE (blank robotic stare, cheap fabric outfit, etc). If I had ordered this, I would definitely want a refund. Stand behind your product gurantee and make your products worth your gurantee. After getting burned on Yavin Luke I have stopped buying everything they put out and I am very selective and discretionary about each and every order I make now. I ordered Tatooine Luke and Han but the sculpts/paints looks disappointing so I may cancel them before the 15-day notice, but sometimes they only send out a 2-3 day notice with no final pics posted). And sometimes there have been e-mail lags and the product has shipped even before the 2-3 day notice has been sent out. My faith in SS has diminished. They make good stuff sometimes, but they are not consistent. If I'm going to be paying nearly $100 per figure now, it had better be a homerun. The factory paints had better be stellar. The sculpts had better be screen accurate. If they want to compete in the same market as Hot Toys and Medicom, then we had better be getting our money's worth now and they need to stand behind their products. No more excuses. Before when figures were less than $50 I would always hear the rationalization of "What do expect for a $50 figure?" well I expect even more now from a $100 figure. They better deliver it first class concierge service to my doorstep along with appetizers and cocktails for that price. The bar has been raised and so have the expectations.

Mister Roboto
02-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes they do. Problem is, you eat it on shipping. I was so disappointed with Yavin Luke I wanted to slash my wrists. I seriously contemplated sending it back and eating the shipping but I thought "Why should I have to pay for their abysmal effort?" So I kept it. I eventually hope to sell for at least what I had paid for it if I can find someone who really wants one. Unfortunately, I just don't see this figure being in much demand, ever.

Too bad you didn't go through with it.

decadentdave
02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Like I said, why should I have to pay for their abysmal effort? That's my point.

jedibear
03-24-2008, 12:38 AM
So...how about that General Kenobi in clone armor? Pretty cool, eh? :)

Blue2th
09-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Just got my notice from Sideshow Obi-Wan in Clone Armor will be arriving in a few days.

Tycho
10-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Cool. That's a really nice figure! I saw him at Comic Con. Only self-discipline prevented me from ordering him.

Maybe I could get him and also buy Asajj Ventress and set up a duel between them - but Obi-Wan never wore that armor when he fought her as far as I can tell.

And here I am thinking "it sucks to not spend $150 more dollars." :rolleyes:

Blue2th
10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I've been buying only the must haves with the price increase. I've been missing quite a few lately. Mostly OTC, because I already spent tons on the Hasbro 12". Though I do have the Stormtrooper on order.

I would probably spring for a phase II armored Obi-Wan if it came up.

I wish they would do a Captain Fordo, one of his Arc Troopers, or a Commander Cody.

Tycho
10-03-2008, 04:23 AM
I would buy a E3 Commander Cody - or (AFFORDABLE) Utopau Clone Troopers.

Blue2th
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I would buy a E3 Commander Cody - or (AFFORDABLE) Utopau Clone Troopers.

Funny you would say that. I guess a Utapua (I can never spell that) Clone is what we are getting from Sideshow, though not that affordable of course: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=5554&affiliate=pwise

jedibear
10-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Arrrgghhh!

Had to cancel this one. The timing is just really lousy (had to pre-buy my heating oil for winter). Actually canceled a few pieces so my Sideshow completist days are done :(.

Maybe I'll get on the waitlist and see how next month shakes out. At least there should be some "in-hand" photos floating around by then to check out how he came out in production.

At least some of the cooler figures on the way (like Vader and U-Clone) aren't due til after the first of the year so...we'll see.

Somebody post some pics please!

Tycho
10-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Funny you would say that. I guess a Utapua (I can never spell that) Clone is what we are getting from Sideshow, though not that affordable of course: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=5554&affiliate=pwise

Hmmm. In the interest of saving money and display space, I might order 1 (one) Utopau Clone and save the other display space for Commander Cody.

What I'm ending up with is SS Obi-Wan fighting Hasbro Grievous, with 2 Clones (obviously 1 being Cody) coming up from behind the Separatist General. It's too expensive and space-extensive to expand the scene. I mean what else are you going to add to it anyway? (only Hasbro made battle droids and though I bought a few and some Super BDs, I don't have any more to spare after my TPM and AOTC 12" scenes.)

I'd love someone to do a transforming Destroyer Droid, but I'm more likely to use that fighting Hasbro's 12" Tarpals on Kaadu.

Blue2th
10-05-2008, 12:24 PM
A Destroyer Droid in 12" would be awesome! I wouldn't even care if he did anything. So many figures he can fight.
I've got a few of those Hasbro SBD's as well as a Tarpals on Kaadu/ One of Hasbro's better ones.

That Hasbro Grievous is a little short, but what ya gonna do? That's all we got.
I wouldn't trade my PT Obi-Wan for anything, he's one of my favorites. Did you get the Exclusive with the blaster to finish off Grievous in "uncivilized" fashion?

Now that they're making Obi-Wan in Armor and Ep.3 Clones, sure would like to see an Ep.2 Clone.

Sorry to hear you cancelled yours Jedibear. You of all people deserve one with your killer photos. I suppose I would do the same. Which reminds me I need to get a wood permit, and dust off the old Stihl.

Tycho
10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
A Did you get the Exclusive with the blaster to finish off Grievous in "uncivilized" fashion?

Yes. I ordered 2 ROTS Obi-Wans from SideShow: I got the exclusive and then ordered a second - the very first day.

I wanted one to fight Hasbro's Grievous and one to fight Anakin (and bought the SideShow Anakin for that).

I gave the Exclusive's gun to Hasbro's Greivous and tried to pose him simialarly to Hasbro's Unleashed Grievous (7") using a doll stand to help.

But I have Grievous standing up taller than Kenobi (mostly by having my SS Kenobi crouched lower, running to charge the General.

Unfortunately, there's not much to photograph. They're on my bookshelf behind me, in front of my Star Wars VHS and DVD collection, along with Last of the Mohicans and The Patriot.

Some day, when I get my house, I will display them in their own environment with appropriate backgrounds and settings to stand them on.

Then I will want to photo them and share.

Meanwhile, JediBear can do so much better. I just want to request "scenes" from him.

I'm still waiting to see if JediBear has red Palpatine fighting Kit Fisto and Mace Windu. Even if you exclusively collect SideShow, you can make that scene.

You can also do Darth Sidious kneeling over Anakin on Mustafar - or if you have it - use the burned and extra crispy Hasbro Anakin (battle-ravaged headsculpt).

What else? If you have some Hasbro Imperial Officers, you can pose them in the plants fighting Endor Rebel Troopers. That won't look all bad.

Hasbro's Dooku is poseable and sculpted well enough to take on SS's Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Luke and Leia can get ready to swing on a rope across the Death Star's chasm, if you bought the ANH figures.

Bib Fortuna can receive Leia Boussh before Jabba the Hutt on his throne. Many Hasbro figures can work with this scene: Lando Skiff Guard, Boba Fett, Gamorrean Guard, and SideShow's Luke Jedi.

jonthejedi
10-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Just received my CW Obi-Wan today...and my prediction about the plastic type(of course, this is before many of us knew about the collaboration with Hot Toys...whom by the way make the best 1/6 scale figures-period!) came true, I believe. The armor feels kinda like hard styrene, and not that durable. I feel Sideshow cut corners again. For those who own Medicom RAH troopers(and I'm one of them), you'll see & feel the difference. Theirs seems more photo-realistic & more pliable(albeit shinier). I don't like Sideshow's as much, and I'm now dreading what they do with Vader & the stormie. On a positive note, I love the exclusive gauntlet with holo-trooper(how I have mine posed); the face sculpt is outstanding, and I thought the robe came out rather nice in conjuntion with the armor. Any other thoughts?

Blue2th
10-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Just got my "shipping" notice today. I won't be able to make any judgments on his armor as I don't own any Medicoms.

JediTricks
10-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Good to know about the armor quality. Kinda put a pit in my stomach, I can't really eat $200+ on Vader & Stormie, so they would either be going back or hitting ebay if they are that poor. But I need to see 'em in person to really judge, or at least a good photo comparison.

AmanaMatt
10-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I received my Clone Wars Obi Wan last night, and all-in-all, this is one of the best 1:6 scale figures they have done. Armor looks feels excellent to me.....EXCELLENT paint job on this one...

jonthejedi
10-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Maybe someone who has both can extrapolate better than me. Sideshow's armor seems duller in finish, harder like styrene plastic. Medicoms seems more like a softer PVC, shinier & more pliable to joint movement.

jedibear
10-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Well, the good General made his way up here today...

Pretty cool figure. Excellent sculpt (this is one instance where I would welcome a subsequent release featuring this head sculpt with his AOTC Jedi attire) and the armor feels and looks sturdy. A little loose on the calves, but I'll try some futzing and see what I can come up with.

These shots are of the figure right out of the box...no futzing yet. I just got the regular version...didn't get the jello-mold guy. I don't think I would have displayed him with it on anyway.

On to the shots...

AmanaMatt
10-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Cool pics...this is one of my fav pieces to date From SS

JediTricks
10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Yeah, nifty pics. The 2nd and 3rd one make a good impression of the figure, I think the likeness may be more to my tastes from the figure's right side. I'm still not sure of the cloth integration with the armor, but the figure looks satisfying for those into this version of the character. Thanks for sharing!

Tycho
10-26-2008, 03:49 AM
I love the 2nd picture. Please try some more poses and a close-up of Obi-Wan's head. At Comic Con, I was very impressed with this figure and wished he was on my "buy list," but here in particular is where having some self-discipline is punishing me.

jedibear
10-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm more impressed with this figure the more I look at it. I think the cloth integrates with the armor quite well...it hangs naturally and looks great.
The portrait is really good too...

Tycho
10-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Those are awesome shots JediBear. You've made me think it's time to re-pose my SideShow Obi-Wan and Anakin figures!

Blue2th
10-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm more impressed with this figure the more I look at it. I think the cloth integrates with the armor quite well...it hangs naturally and looks great.
The portrait is really good too...

Wow great pics!
Just got mine the other day. Great figure. I sort of wish he had some armor weathering though.

jedibear
10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Initially I thought that too (about the weathering), but now that I've seen some folks that have given it a go, I'm not so sure. Applying an overall wash that ends up highlighting the "seams" and such just doesn't look quite right (just looking at the belt kind of illustrates that) and the other alternative of applying "battle-stress" and stratches is a tricky business. Dark Artist over at SSF did this to great effect.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Utapau Trooper...that one looks like Sideshow will make an effort to do some weathering/battle stress deco. I hope it comes out well...

jedibear
11-01-2008, 09:42 PM
----------

Tycho
11-01-2008, 11:26 PM
That is Obi-Wan defending equality in marriage?

AmanaMatt
11-02-2008, 10:03 AM
This is now my favorite Sideshow piece to date - other than wanting a clone helmet for him, I love it...!

Tycho
11-02-2008, 10:13 AM
LOL. The picture of Obi-Wan in front of a rainbow background has somehow disappeared.

jedibear
11-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I didn't get the joke...

(...and that wasn't a rainbow but...oh well.)

JediTricks
11-04-2008, 03:30 PM
In close-up, that face seems young around the eyes and mouth. Very cool none the less though. The pic with the different background has a lot of realism to it, only the stitching on the collar betrays the scale.

Darth Cruel
11-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I had to get a replacement from Sideshow for mine. Got it last night and love it all the more. My replacement has even tighter joints than the original one that I got!