PDA

View Full Version : V-wing is still the best new vehicle Hasbro's made in 6 years, AT-TE not counted

Tycho
02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
AOTC had some nice movie toys, most notably Slave-One with rapid firing missles and seizmic charge mines.

Hasbro got a lot of mileage out of the heavy Gunship, too.

The AOTC Jedi Starfighter wasn't my favorite vehicle.

The 2003 Hailfire Droid was pretty cool though. The Geonosian Fighter was necessary but not anything special.

2005 saw some fun ROTS movie vehicles.

But 2007's V-wing had 4 firing missles, swing-wings, landing gear, seating for a pilot figure, nice decor. It was all there.

Now in 2008 I have:

AT-AP which is sweet but not nearly that poseable, nor does it have any "walking feature" like the old AT-ST. It's better than a lot of toys, but the V-wing tops it.

Grievous' ship - which is quite plain and boring, though fairly authentic.

With the V-19 Torrent coming out, a one-seater instead of a 2-seater as was shown in the cartoon, and the Homing Spider Droid, which looks cool, but isn't exactly a feature-full vehicle, the V-wing still takes the cake (over any E3 Jedi Starfighter as well).

I really appreciate the vehicles. It's a very important part of the Star Wars collecting experience for me. The AT-TE is going to be the best thing ever. But right now, with a lot of my $20 range vehicles out on display here, I noticed it's the V-wing that I keep picking up and playing with.

Sweet ship. Last year's news is still this year's favorite. They did a nice job on that little ship!

Jedi_Kal-El
02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I'll have to wait until I'm holding one of those new Spider Droids before I can make that judgment buddy. After that I'll let you know.

JediTricks
02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
I thought you were all in love with the ARC-170. After all, it's got firing missiles and a bomb, movable wings, seating for 3 pilots AND a droid, and multiple decos.

Tycho
02-19-2008, 01:54 AM
I thought you were all in love with the ARC-170. After all, it's got firing missiles and a bomb, movable wings, seating for 3 pilots AND a droid, and multiple decos.

The ARC-170 should have had a remote twist knob on it to move the S-foils into attack and patrol flight positions.

The ship's flat underbelly where the "user handle" comes out makes it look less than aerodynamic.

The bombs just drop out together and you can't regulate how much or how little it fires.

The "missles" are supposed to be the ship's laser cannons and they're too big to be missles. It looks dumb shooting those things.

I don't buy CW paint deco stuff. I originally picked up 3 ARC-170's but took 2 back to the store.

It is a fine ship, but the V-wing is more fun to play with.

jedi master sal
02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
The ARC-170 ... is a fine ship, but the V-wing is more fun to play with.

Hmm, I'll have to disagree with you here Tycho. At the least they are on par with each other. For the value, IIRC, the ARC-170 (original movie deco) was only $30. That was some great value for what you got. Only $10 more than the V-wing and MUCH bigger, pluss it has just about as many moving parts and room for 4 figs. (3 clones and 1 droid)

JON9000
02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Agreed, the ARC-170 has it all over the V-wing. Who cares if the cannons fire? It's just a play feaure and you can pretend they do not if you wish. Besides, the ARC just looks sweet.

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Heh heh, my evil work is done.

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 12:05 AM
My evil work will not be over until I transplant Caesar's mind and larynx into UKWildcat's dog, so suddenly his dog will start talking and he'll be all like, "Dude, El Chuxter transplanted my mind and larynx into your dog, man!" And UKWildcat will be all, "That's impossible! I have a demon dog!" And he'll kick the dog in the nads, only he forgot that he had his dog neutered, but Caesar will know it, and he'll say, "Dude, I have no nads, so that didn't hurt, jerky!"

My evil plans are more silly than actually destructive.

omnithx
02-20-2008, 12:12 AM
I like the V-Wing as it is very reminiscent of the A-Wing, intentionally no doubt. My biggest problem with it though, is the fact that the wings/landing gear system fold down differently on the toy than what appears on film. Do the guys that design these even watch the films or just study still images and work it out from there. :upset:

Warstar
02-20-2008, 03:25 AM
I have to say AMEN to the V-Wing- it was the first new sculpted vehicle I HAD to get but since the AOTC JSF's. The V-Wing is GREAT in both looks and play features- I dig the extending wings and the snap-to s-foils- good call :)

I did get the Target Exclusive ARC-170 though and the Elite Forces pack too. These are GREAT and I am sure they will be sought after in the future 'cause a lot of people passed on them when they shouldn't have :p Mine looks awesome hanging from my ceiling :D

jjreason
02-20-2008, 04:14 AM
It's very nice, but I'm completely hung up on the undersized R2 unit. :upset:

I need to learn to care about the important things. :D

Tycho
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
My biggest problem with it though, is the fact that the wings/landing gear system fold down differently on the toy than what appears on film. Do the guys that design these even watch the films or just study still images and work it out from there. :upset:

Thank you. I thought I was one of the only people who noticed that. Hasbro might've gone the route they did because it was cheaper for them to put landing struts on the S-foils rather than also add parts for rear landing gear on the ship. :rolleyes: But while the toy's s-foils close like a scissors when the TOY lands, in the movie, one s-foil on either side goes behind the ship, and one in front (like the toy's already do). But like I said, I think Hasbro was looking for a way to cheap-out on rear landing gear.

Still, the V-wing is otherwise perfect.

Devo
02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm sure its a good toy but I just wasn't able to get excited about a ship that I don't even remember being in the film.

Val Da Car
02-20-2008, 04:13 PM
I did buy one and after opening it I had to get a second of the V Wing.

I am looking forward to comparing it to the V19 (which has a special place in my heart) in features and size to the V Wing

General_Grievous
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm sure its a good toy but I just wasn't able to get excited about a ship that I don't even remember being in the film.

Really? I thought it was one of the more memorable prequel vehicles because it sounded exactly like a TIE Fighter. But as for best vehicle? I think that the Republic Gunship and the ARC-170 are both more impressive than the V-Wing, but it is better than all those damn Jedi Starfighters.

jjreason
02-20-2008, 07:23 PM
To me, the Gunship is by far the best prequel vehicle. I liked the ARC 170 too - but it was way too big when parked next to the gunship.

Devo
02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
To me, the Gunship is by far the best prequel vehicle. I liked the ARC 170 too - but it was way too big when parked next to the gunship.

Agreed, especially the 'by far' bit. As I said in another thread only the gunship appeared in more than one prequel film and featured prominently onscreen - many other vehicles were blink&miss. And the toy, downsized though it is, did it great justice.

pegger
02-22-2008, 11:50 AM
As good as the V-Wing - it is too small - and I gotta agree with JJ - the undersized (and non-removable) droid irks me.

However, I LOVE the gunship. I've got all 4 flavours. The only thing I wish they made are the turrent balls (as per the movie).

bigbarada
02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
If I had to pick which prequel vehicle toys I liked the most so far, I would have to put the Hailfire Droid at number 1, the Gunship at number 2. However, it's looking like the AT-TE and Homing Spider Droid will bump them both out of the top spots.

I'm in the same boat as Devo, exactly where was this vehicle in Ep3?

I would have liked the ARC fighter better if it didn't have the silly X-Wing-overkill wings.

jedi master sal
02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
...The only thing I wish they made are the turrent balls (as per the movie).

Because it was made undersized, Hasbro really couldn't make the gunpods to fit a clone. They would have been way to big for the gunship and would not have looked appropriately scaled

pegger
02-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Because it was made undersized, Hasbro really couldn't make the gunpods to fit a clone. They would have been way to big for the gunship and would not have looked appropriately scaled

I only 1/2 buy this arguement. They could have made a pod with a dedicated clone inside. Or a pod with no clone inside.

Plus, I've seen some nice custom made jobbies that look pretty good.

jedi master sal
02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
I only 1/2 buy this arguement. They could have made a pod with a dedicated clone inside. Or a pod with no clone inside.

Plus, I've seen some nice custom made jobbies that look pretty good.

True enough. Heh, and there are many examples of customs that have been on par or better than what Hasbro has done.

You still gonna want that AT-TE, pegger?

Kidhuman
02-22-2008, 09:28 PM
If I had to pick which prequel vehicle toys I liked the most so far, I would have to put the Hailfire Droid at number 1, the Gunship at number 2. However, it's looking like the AT-TE and Homing Spider Droid will bump them both out of the top spots.

I'm in the same boat as Devo, exactly where was this vehicle in Ep3?

I would have liked the ARC fighter better if it didn't have the silly X-Wing-overkill wings.

I have to agree with you there. The Hailfire is the best vehicle I have gotten in a long time. I bought both releases of it. The V-Wing is 2nd.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-22-2008, 09:58 PM
The V-Wing is a good vehicle, but I wouldn't call it the best. I'm with KH on the Hailfire, and I missed it the first time so I was happy they released it again. I actually like it better in the CIS colors than I do compared to photos I've seen of the original.

x13squadleader
02-22-2008, 10:29 PM
The v-wings are good except the hatch hits the droid.and can only open part way.poor engineering

JediTricks
02-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Man, you guys are sticklers, I barely notice the slightly-undersized droid dome on it, there are giant panels around it hiding it.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Man, you guys are sticklers, I barely notice the slightly-undersized droid dome on it, there are giant panels around it hiding it.

Who cares about the droid. You can't even remove the darn thing so big whoop.