PDA

View Full Version : 2008: The Year of 3 & 3/4 Inch Goodness

TheRealDubya
02-19-2008, 04:54 PM
It seems like everyone and their mother is jumping on the 3 & 3/4" train this year, and my only response is awesome.

So far, it looks as if we'll be seeing Star Wars scaled versions of the following:

Harry Potter (Corgi OOTP line being imported and distributed)
Star Trek (Playmates has confirmed the movie figs will be released in 1:18 scale, in addition to two other scales)
Hellboy (for the new movie, by Mezco)
Heroes (also by Mezco)
DC Universe (Mattel see HERE (http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=2008_Toy_Fair%2FMattel%2FDC_Universe_Infinit e_Heroes))
Indiana Jones (obviously)

as well Star Wars and GI Joe continuing. Did I also hear of a Marvel 3 & 3/4 line for this year? Am I missing anything?

Beast
02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Jesse Falcon teased that we'd see the 3 3/4" Marvel Line in the next two weeks.

So I'm guessing the debut is going to be via some toy magazine. Can't wait. :D

General_Grievous
02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
It does seem like smaller is going back in style. However, I fail to see the reasoning in creating up to three different scales with lines like "Heroes", "Star Trek", and "Hellboy". What's the point in having both 3 3/4, 5 inch, and 7 inch figures all for the same line?

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Multiple sizes can only work when there are multiple target audiences. For something like Trek or Heroes, you're right, it seems a little weird.

TheRealDubya
02-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Multiple sizes can only work when there are multiple target audiences. For something like Trek or Heroes, you're right, it seems a little weird.

I tend to collect 1:18 only, so they'll get my dollars by producing these at the smaller scale. I wouldn't ordinarily (and have not until now) buy Trek, Marvel or Heroes, but at 4 inches, sure, I'm in. I think this is a smart move.

Kidhuman
02-19-2008, 05:42 PM
It does seem like smaller is going back in style. However, I fail to see the reasoning in creating up to three different scales with lines like "Heroes", "Star Trek", and "Hellboy". What's the point in having both 3 3/4, 5 inch, and 7 inch figures all for the same line?

It didnt work well with the POTC line and it wont work with these lines either.

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 05:55 PM
POTC also had the additional drawback of three different 7" lines (one by NECA, one by Zizzle, and the other line available only at Disney Stores).

Beast
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
A lot of the return to this scale being popular is due to two things.

The price of oil continues to be insane. So smaller figures are much cheaper to make.

In the case of DC/Marvel, they can deliver vehicles at a realitsic price point.

I can't wait for the Marvel line myself. As long as they do the X-Men's Blackbird. :D

TheRealDubya
02-19-2008, 07:08 PM
In the case of DC/Marvel, they can deliver vehicles at a realitsic price point.

I can't wait for the Marvel line myself. As long as they do the X-Men's Blackbird. :D

Holy smokes. I hadn't even thought of that. That'd be sick.

Another aspect I have heard is this concept of "cradle-to-grave" marketing, where they provide a product for an indivdual for every stage of their life. So, for Star Wars, it's Galactic Heroes, then 3 & 3/4", then Sideshow and Attackus. DC seems to have the same approach going on here, with the Super Friends, then these new shorties, then the 6-9" guys, then maybe Tonner or DC Direct for the older collector with more free money. Hasbro, obviously, is using the same formula for Star Wars across all of their major boys brands (how long before we see GI Joe "Battle Buddies" or "Combat Cuddlers"?)

This is smart, thorough branding.

As far as POTC goes, I think those failed because the movies got worse and less kid freindly as they went (too long and esoteric) and the toys were just...pretty weak. You also didn't have the variety of characters you have with some of these other brands.

It's the same thing that kind of worries me about Indy -- how many Indys or Jack Sparrows can you get? I will be very interested to see how Hasbro does in capturing the kid dollar with the Indy figs. Poses a good challenge.

Beast
02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah. I loved the first POTC. But the second one jumped the shark pretty heavily, and then the third one was even more outragous. I didn't mind the Cursed Pirates idea of the first one. But when they brought in all the sci-fi fantasy elements of the second two films... it felt like a completely different film series.

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
I loved all three Pirates movies, and I get sick of people hating on #2 and #3. :mad:

Kidhuman
02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
I loved all three Pirates movies, and I get sick of people hating on #2 and #3. :mad:

Word to Slickers mom

Beast
02-19-2008, 09:31 PM
They should have been better films then. ;)

General_Grievous
02-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Same here. And the toy line sold pretty well except for some hangers-on in the "At World's End". The Black Pearl playset was very popular. And the last NECA wave was virtually non-existent around here.

Mister Roboto
02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
They should have been better films then. ;)

At least they were better than the X-Men movies. ;)

Beast
02-20-2008, 12:33 PM
At least they were better than the X-Men movies. ;)
In what fantasy world was that? :p

TheRealDubya
02-20-2008, 01:13 PM

Uh-oh...this thread has gone off the rails!

I thought Bill Nighy was brilliant as Davy Jones in 2 & 3-- the movies just could have used some editing, IMO - they just bored me. Not hating on them at all, it's just that I used to be a movie critic -- can't help it. I am always happy when someone can enjoy something I didn't. There are plenty of movies I enjoyed that others did not.

I will say this about POTC though -- I may not have loved the figures or the sequels, but I bought some of the Zizzle 3 & 3/4" guys because of their scale. That might illustrate my point a little. Hell, I bought a few of the Golden Compass guys and I never even saw the movie. The figures were just in the right scale for me!

And for the record, X-Men 2 was about as good as it gets!

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 01:31 PM
X2 was the greatest superhero of all time until it was very narrowly beaten by Batman Begins.

X3 was a steaming crock of crap that ranks right down there with Transformers.

TheRealDubya
02-20-2008, 01:58 PM
X2 was the greatest superhero of all time until it was very narrowly beaten by Batman Begins.

X3 was a steaming crock of crap that ranks right down there with Transformers.

My sentiments exactly! X3 hurt my eyes. It should have been the greatest thing ever -- all they had to do was wait for Singer to finish Superman and he could have picked up where he left off with X2; instead they rushed it, hired a hack and killed the franchise for me (although, it was the most financially successful of the three and X-Men Origins: Wolverine is now in production (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35658), so what do I know?)

I would toss Spider-Man 2 into the top three great comic pics of all time.

General_Grievous
02-20-2008, 07:01 PM
My sentiments exactly! X3 hurt my eyes. It should have been the greatest thing ever -- all they had to do was wait for Singer to finish Superman and he could have picked up where he left off with X2

Singer never should have left the X-Men franchise to make "Superman Returns" in the first place, because unlike X-Men, it looks like the Superman film franchise is in suspended animation right now.

Kidhuman
02-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Meh POTC>>>>>>>X-men. I couldnt bare to watch the X-men movies. I gave them a shot and thought they sucked Slickers Mom.

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Singer never should have left the X-Men franchise to make "Superman Returns" in the first place, because unlike X-Men, it looks like the Superman film franchise is in suspended animation right now.
He didn't know that would be the case, though. And I'm sure he didn't at first expect Marvel to not realize he was a large portion of what made the first two great, and ditch him for (snicker) Brett Ratner.

RooJay
02-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Wait-a-minute...the Heroes figures are 3 3/4" too? How did I miss that info? In that case, the sculpts don't look so bad for that scale. I'm I just confused here?

I also hadn't realized the Hellboy 2 figures were in the perfect action figure scale as well, and the Corgi Harry Potter line coming stateside is frikkin' awesome news too!

...sorry for coming into this discussion a little late...

Mister Roboto
02-21-2008, 10:23 AM

In the fantastic world of reality. Come join us.lol

TheRealDubya
02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Wait-a-minute...the Heroes figures are 3 3/4" too? How did I miss that info? In that case, the sculpts don't look so bad for that scale. I'm I just confused here?

I also hadn't realized the Hellboy 2 figures were in the perfect action figure scale as well, and the Corgi Harry Potter line coming stateside is frikkin' awesome news too!

...sorry for coming into this discussion a little late...

This is what I am seeing from ToyFair; correct me if I'm wrong, but all signs point to a fun 2008:

Harry Potter (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2874)
Heroes (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=19635)
Hellboy 2 (http://photos.actionfigs.com/showphoto.php?photo=19698)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-21-2008, 04:14 PM
That Harry Potter stuff looks pretty sweet, though I likely won't get any of it.

RooJay
02-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Hmm...this 3 3/4" box set thing is going to be like the Family Guy and South Park box sets where those are the only figures from the line they do in that scale, isn't it? I really want both those figure lines in that scale (they look better and will be much easier to handle space-wise) but I really don't want to be buying into another line like that where I won't be able to finish out my collection in the same scale.:sad:

JetsAndHeels
02-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I can't wait for the DC figs to come out. I was looking at them online, and I don't see Superman. Are there no pics of him yet? And are they going to do a darkseid?

TheRealDubya
02-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I can't wait for the DC figs to come out. I was looking at them online, and I don't see Superman. Are there no pics of him yet? And are they going to do a darkseid?

"My understanding is that they want to make everyone."
"What do you mean 'everyone'"?
"EVERYONE!" (in best GARY OLDMAN scream)

TheRealDubya
02-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Adam Pawlus cleared up the PopCo/Corgi Harry Potter thing in his weekly podcast -- they were only shown at Toy Fair -- they will NOT be sold domestically. I think the NECA license precludes PopCo selling/distributing them over here. Bummer.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-25-2008, 06:29 PM

Wow, Mattel might just get some of my money after all! I love the new DC legends they brought out, but i just don't have the cash for them, but these on the other hand...imagine being able to army build Gotham City PD! Checkmate ETC! Good Times are ahead, good time indeed! Just as long as they don't get stupid and make Crimson Glow Punch fist Action Supes i'll be just fine! SW make go on the back burner once again...

JetsAndHeels
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Just as long as they don't get stupid and make Crimson Glow Punch fist Action Supes i'll be just fine! SW make go on the back burner once again...

Crimson Glow Punch fist Action Supes would rock!! They can never make too many Supes figs. :)

figrin bran
02-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Heels, those prototype figures displayed at ToyFair were just to show what the line might look like and not necessarily indicative of what the first few waves would include. Mattel did say that between DC Universe Classics, Infinite Heroes and Justice League Unlimited, they're going to try to rotate characters through the 3 lines so that they won't be in all 3 at the same time.

JetsAndHeels
02-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Heels, those prototype figures displayed at ToyFair were just to show what the line might look like and not necessarily indicative of what the first few waves would include. Mattel did say that between DC Universe Classics, Infinite Heroes and Justice League Unlimited, they're going to try to rotate characters through the 3 lines so that they won't be in all 3 at the same time.

Thanks figgy...when I look at new DC stuff I look for just the Superman characters. If I don't see any I tend to panic. :)

TheRealDubya
02-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks figgy...when I look at new DC stuff I look for just the Superman characters. If I don't see any I tend to panic. :)

A DC line without Supes is like a day without the sun -- it's a thought best left unthought.

Here are some newer pic that show the PACKAGING AND ARTICULATION (http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/gallery/v/ToyFair2008/mattel/dc/) a little better. June or July street date. I'm officially excited for these.

JetsAndHeels
02-25-2008, 11:58 PM
A DC line without Supes is like a day without the sun -- it's a thought best left unthought. .

I know!! That is a day I would never want to experience!!

Here are some newer pic that show the PACKAGING AND ARTICULATION (http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/gallery/v/ToyFair2008/mattel/dc/) a little better. June or July street date. I'm officially excited for these.

Thanks, I am psyched for these too!! I want every superman character!! ooh, and all those new superfriends supermen!! ooh, and I definately want the superman brave buddies plush!! man i cant wait for these!! :razz:

RooJay
02-26-2008, 02:44 AM
A DC line without Supes is like a day without the sun -- it's a thought best left unthought.

On second thought - those figures of Supergirl, Bizarro, Wondergirl and Batman look nothing like the comics versions! When did Bizarro ever wear a red costume with lightning bolts on it?!! Mattel = teh suke!!!:mad:

:thumbsup: