PDA

View Full Version : Another UGH

Maradona
02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Yet again, Hasbro gives scalpers reasons to rejoice...:mad:

RS just revealed this years Ultimate Galactic Heist promotion.

jedi master sal
02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Yet again, Hasbro gives scalpers reasons to rejoice...:mad:

RS just revealed this years Ultimate Galactic Heist promotion.

PASS!!!!

WTF. ANother UGH of sorts. Okay so it's "First Day of Issue," smae difference if it means foil stamping on cards.

I won't go out of my way to get them this time around. Just another money grubbing greed thing on the part of Hasbro.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-20-2008, 02:15 PM
I didn't get any of the UGHs the first or second time other than the Vintage style figures. Why start now.

Maradona
02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Agreed! I remember when foil embossing almost killed the comic book industry in the early 90s. I got so tired of buying 5 covers of the same exact book that I walked away for a LONG while. In fact, I've never bought comics again in the bulk I did before then (paying for college and reading for that also helped). If avarice like UGH continues, I may end up doing the same with figures.

figrin bran
02-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Last year, I picked up a few UGH's just to have at least one in my collection. This year I won't even bother if all that's different about the packaging is a sticker/foil stamp.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-21-2008, 01:42 AM
Agreed! I remember when foil embossing almost killed the comic book industry in the early 90s. I got so tired of buying 5 covers of the same exact book that I walked away for a LONG while. In fact, I've never bought comics again in the bulk I did before then (paying for college and reading for that also helped). If avarice like UGH continues, I may end up doing the same with figures.

That's the first thing that popped in my mind after reading 'foil stamped' I will run away, FAR AWAY!!

Kidhuman
02-21-2008, 06:39 AM
I got the first years ones, none of last year and even less of this years.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-21-2008, 10:19 AM
I didn't go out of my way to get them, if i found them i bought them. (Except for Concept Fett, which i tracked down from another collector who had an extra.) If i find these i will pick them up, but if i don't no sweat on my part. Nice idea, just bad--very bad for the hobby.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-21-2008, 01:17 PM
This whole year for hasbro is SO gimmicky, it's disgusting. There's a total focus AWAY from the whole reason of the hobby this year, the FIGURE itself! :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, Deoxy.

jedi master sal
02-21-2008, 03:40 PM
This whole year for hasbro is SO gimmicky, it's disgusting. There's a total focus AWAY from the whole reason of the hobby this year, the FIGURE itself! :rolleyes:

Yeah, i have to agree with you too.

(Though I am thankful for the AT-TE and Homing Spider droid)

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 03:44 PM
AT-ET?

Is this a walker with two very short legs, a stubby main body with a red spotlight in the center, a cockpit on a long "neck," and two massively long guns protruding from the body?

Deoxyribonucleic
02-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, i have to agree with you too.

(Though I am thankful for the AT-ET and Homing Spider droid)

OH, I'm excited for that for all you guys who have been at Hasbro to make it since forever! Besides, we always need good vehicles in the line as well. And I must say they did an awesome job on it! But for the basic figures, it's either a gimmick with the packaging, an extra figure no one wants, build-a-piece o crap and a bunch of repaints and repacks, way more so than usual?? I just hope this isn't the way they will go in the future, otherwise, I'm out. P.S. The packaging is s**t. I think it is cool for the animated CW figs, it works and it fits with them, but the stormtrooper for the basic line...PUKE!

Jedi_Kal-El
02-21-2008, 04:05 PM
OH, I'm excited for that for all you guys who have been at Hasbro to make it since forever! Besides, we always need good vehicles in the line as well. And I must say they did an awesome job on it! But for the basic figures, it's either a gimmick with the packaging, an extra figure no one wants, build-a-piece o crap and a bunch of repaints and repacks, way more so than usual?? I just hope this isn't the way they will go in the future, otherwise, I'm out. P.S. The packaging is s**t. I think it is cool for the animated CW figs, it works and it fits with them, but the stormtrooper for the basic line...PUKE!

OUCH!! Down girl! :p I'll have to agree with some of what you just said though. Gimmicks are getting very old. Remember when we were kids and we got figures that had only one weapon, and no action features? As I recall the Vehicles and Playsets were the gimmick back then, and they were alot more fun than action features. I'd give back every figure with lightsaber or any other kind of action if I could have them even just repaint/retool the old Death Star Playset, or any of them for that matter. I guess I've kinda been gimmicked to death by Hasbro.

jedi master sal
02-21-2008, 05:54 PM
AT-ET?

Is this a walker with two very short legs, a stubby main body with a red spotlight in the center, a cockpit on a long "neck," and two massively long guns protruding from the body?

Smart As*, heh heh. I fixed my post.

You KNOW I get excited when talking about the AT-TE.

Whoops, made another mess in my pants...

Sinscia Fat'o
02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
OUCH!! Down girl! :p I'll have to agree with some of what you just said though. Gimmicks are getting very old. Remember when we were kids and we got figures that had only one weapon, and no action features? As I recall the Vehicles and Playsets were the gimmick back then, and they were alot more fun than action features. I'd give back every figure with lightsaber or any other kind of action if I could have them even just repaint/retool the old Death Star Playset, or any of them for that matter. I guess I've kinda been gimmicked to death by Hasbro.

What gripes me is the casual collector "Rare horder" type of collector go out and pick the shelves clean of items like this, which i have no real problem with but when only one figure of a certain kind comes to the case...and it has some foil card gimmick going on it...the horder graps it up and doesn't care nothing for it...they only see $$$ on E-bay. I guess what gets me summed up is that people buy figures like the UGH because they are special, and don't care about the characters, or the hobby they only see RARE, CHASE...ETC. Very bad for the hobby.

I really hoped hasbro would have carried over the TAC package art for the Legacy line, mainly because it was great art and presented the figure and the character in a very stylish way, which was appealing for kids, carded collectors and loose collectors (Because the figures were great!!) Though the all white package really makes the line look Blah...Blah...Blah. Though i do have to admit it does work for the Clone Wars Cartoon Line, but then again i don't have much intrest in those so...i really have not looked real hard at them.

And just as a side note i to can recall a better time when to be a collector of the line, and the kenner days was the golden age of the line, like it or not. There was no gimmick, there was only a pistol, rifle or weapon of some sort, and the figure itself for a very reasonable price. If you wanted more action you bought playsets and ships, and went from there. I would actually purchase the entire Clone Wars Cartoon line if they made a Retooled Death Star playset...I would even be happy with the cardboard version Kenner gave us, and that is very sad folks.

jedi master sal
02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
And just as a side note i to can recall a better time when to be a collector of the line, and the kenner days was the golden age of the line, like it or not. There was no gimmick, there was only a pistol, rifle or weapon of some sort, and the figure itself for a very reasonable price. If you wanted more action you bought playsets and ships, and went from there. I would actually purchase the entire Clone Wars Cartoon line if they made a Retooled Death Star playset...I would even be happy with the cardboard version Kenner gave us, and that is very sad folks.

Man, you hit it on the head there. If Hasbro would give us a dedicated Playset line, I'd bite on buying the other stuff, if it meant that Playsets would come to fruition.

Sadly my fruit is old and wrinkly...lol.

Maradona
02-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe instead of "build a figure" Hasbro could give us "build an environment." Enough environment pieces and we could join them into an elaborate playset. They could build in removable action features for the kiddies to play with for that end of their business.

timmae
02-28-2008, 10:01 PM
as long as the ugh are repaints or repacks...ketwol,shmi...neiomoidian...clones...ano ther pit of carkoon... i guess it will be okay.

evenflow
03-02-2008, 09:08 AM
This is kind of a boring UGH like the first year.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Maybe instead of "build a figure" Hasbro could give us "build an environment." Enough environment pieces and we could join them into an elaborate playset. They could build in removable action features for the kiddies to play with for that end of their business.

I wish they would try that. Maybe take a whole year and dedicate the entire line of that year to make one playset/enviroment. I would be down for something like this, but hasbro would never go for it, or do it...Tooling would be to much blah, blah, blah...everyone knows their old song and dance for these things.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I wish they would try that. Maybe take a whole year and dedicate the entire line of that year to make one playset/enviroment. I would be down for something like this, but hasbro would never go for it, or do it...Tooling would be to much blah, blah, blah...everyone knows their old song and dance for these things.

I'd take peices of the old Death Star playset. Throw the smaller peices in with the figures, and some of the larger with a Vehicle or Battle Pack.

Kidhuman
03-02-2008, 06:17 PM
they would never do that. Great idea, but it would never be done

Jedi_Kal-El
03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I know, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Neuroleptic
03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm going to ask a question that may sound stupid, but I honestly don't know the answer.

Please, don't kill me.

Ok, here it is.

What in the world is UGH?

And I agree with others who don't like the new stormtrooper helmet packageing. The 30th anaversary packageing took some getting used to for me, but once I did I realy liked it. This new one, I out right hate. I don't collect packaged figures much, but those are going to be hard to look at.

I don't plan to buy more than one or two figures this year anyway. And that's sad, since preaty soon I'll be moving to a new house with a lot more room. So I can't say I don't have the room anymore like I have been since I started posting, cause I will!

I just won't have anything I want to buy.

About the only figure I like this year are the new R4s and R7s. If I undertand correctly though, you have to buy something like what? Six figures that I personaly have zero interest in to get the ONE figure I want?

That's just pathetic. I don't want them that badly, and I can live without them.

I'm hopeing hasbro learns something this year.

Kidhuman
03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Ulitmate Galactic Hunt.

Neuroleptic
03-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh. Ok . . . um guess I never came across it, because I still don't know what the ultimate galactic hunt is. So whoever it was earlier that said something about people snatching them all up, I'd say people have been rather effective at it in my area.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
UGH was a special promotion they used to basically re-release certain figures into the line with special packaging. In TSC they released several figures with Silver holograms and stands(correct me if I'm wrong on the stands since I never even saw any of the 2006 UGHs in stores)with the logo on the card stamped in silver foil. The mail-away for the 2006 Lucas in Stormie disguise was part of this promotion with the Vintage style figs.

The same was done in 07 with TAC where certain figures were released with gold stamped cards and a gold coin inside. The mail-away was for the 6 coins that went with the 6 Vintage stlye figures(still waiting on mine).

It was basically a pain for most since they could never find them due to scalpers gobbling them up.

Neuroleptic
03-02-2008, 11:23 PM
You know, I don't think I saw ANY of that on the shelves here.

That's sad. I'd have thought with as often as I look that I'd have at least seen one.

Maradona
03-03-2008, 12:24 AM
You know, I don't think I saw ANY of that on the shelves here.

That's sad. I'd have thought with as often as I look that I'd have at least seen one.

That's one of the reasons so many dislike the UGH (aka find me before a scalper does and charges 3 times my retail price) figures. Apart from that, the figures are EXACTLY the same...the search is for packaging and pack ins most could not care less for.

Kidhuman
03-03-2008, 04:40 AM
I did the first one with the silver mini figs. I was an MOC guy at that point. I was looking for Scorch and Cody and I found them, but in UGH form, so I bought them. I decided to buy the rest, but I returned my "normal" versions of the figures. I also found regular versions of Scorch and Cody so I got those to open. Other than that, nothing.

Banthaholic
03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
OK, let's run more reasons to invite scalpers into our hobby. If Star Wars is dictated so much by childrens play habits, then why do they run campaigns that are impossible for most kids to even stand a chance to participate in?

Maradona
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Exactly! How does foil stamping affect play patterns?