PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else find their interest diminishing?

vader121
02-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I find myself being less and less interested these days. I used to buy a lot of stuff and now I pick up a few figures here and there and am actually leaving some behind. The completist in me is dead (except for vintage).

Here is a list of reasons I think:
-lack of sales at stores like Target. I can't remember the last time I saw a sale at TRU or Target or whatever. Even the 2007 thanksgiving sales pretty much left out Star Wars when usually each year there are a few good sales going.
-boring figures. I understand we are at a point now where the need to be doing hashes and EU figures like crazy but enough is enough. Some are very cool but it's not the same if you've never seen them in the movie. I myself don't read the comic books or novels so those figures do nothing for me. I imagine it's the same for most of the buying public.
-finally maturing I guess. Buying toys will always have the immature, childish stigma and I know that. I guess I just finally realize that I don't have to buy every figure or every vehicle that gets released. I mean 1/4 of my house if full of star wars toys now and 95% are out of sight.

What about you? Anybody share this revelation?

Sinscia Fat'o
02-20-2008, 01:13 PM
My intrest is at a all time peak, but my dissapointment in some figures (The Clone Wars) is also at a high. Don't get me wrong i think hasbro's making the right call in the launch of the new animated line, but it's just not for me...(Which it's not supposed to be.)

Another thing i hear more and more that aggitates me as a collector and a star wars fan, is why do a lot of star wars fans hate anything that's not movie realted? Don't fans like yourself read the here and there novel? Play a video game everyonce in a while? Induldge in the kid and read a comi or graphic novel? What i'm saying is how many more characters are there to crusade for now that Yarna and Willrow will be coming out? What's the next logical aproach for the line and for the franchise...It's called EU. The movies have came and gone, and the characters, the ideas, and ETC live on in other forms of media...at least for now.

But if your intrest in Star Wars is slowly going the way of the Do-Do, then maybe you should try entertaing yourself with the saga through other mediums...It worked for me.

And as far as sales go at major outlets...what do you expect? Star Wars still sales. (In my area is still goes faster than Transformers and Spidey...but it's not number one that's GI Joe.) So why should these chains reduce or have sales on items that they can sale for my profit?

Maturing...Wow...must be nice! My girl Friends waiting on me to do the same thing, but she realized that's never going to happen when my eyes lit up like a five year old when i seen the Indiana Jones lego stuff! (Which is sweet by the way!)

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 01:32 PM
My interest is diminishing. If the Feds keep cutting rates, it'll keep on diminishing. :)

Sinscia, I don't think most people have a predisposed hatred of EU. Most people who don't like it have some reason to do so. Some didn't like the Thrawn novels or SOTE and never went further. Some saw ridiculous things like Greedo being ground up into a drink for Jabba, or Dengar being Boba Fett's best man, or IG-88 becoming the second Death Star and stopped.

The comics have always been far below the level of quality that they should be. Yeah, there have been a few great ones, but, overall, Star Wars comics are below average. They should be great. It's an amazing franchise, and there are awesome writers and artists out there who could do incredible things with it. Instead, we get carp like, well, pretty much anything Dark Horse has produced since 1999 that didn't star Ki-Adi or take place during the Clone Wars. And how the hell do you have a crossover that spans 4,000 years? That's like "Gilgamesh meets The Fifth Element."

Personally, I make no bones about it. I still follow non-comic EU set prior to the time of Legacy. I consider Legacy to be spitting on what the films established, and horribly written to boot (novels and comics).

But Last of the Jedi? I hope they change their minds and that series goes on forever. I'd be happy if only Jude Watson, Timothy Zahn, Mike Stackpole, Matthew Stover, and Jim Luceno were writing every Star Wars book from this point on. (Karen Traviss was interesting at first, but her "one novel under many names" and tendency to put in a lot of totally boring made-up Mandalorean words got old fast.)

Rocketboy
02-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Diminishing?
Sh*t, my interest is on life support and I'm thinking of pulling the plug.

TheRealDubya
02-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, there's definitely a lot less that I want to buy in 2008 then there was in 2006 & 2007, but that's more just a case of me having a version of most characters that I am satisfied with. I really only need a few more key figs, then I'm done, so I was close to being done before the Toy Fair announcements that have everyone in a tizzy. I'll probably only buy 5-10 figures a year going forward -- kind of on a "I like what I see" basis.

Snowtrooper
02-20-2008, 02:17 PM
My interest level varies from year to year and the last two years it was pretty high since we got alot of great army building figures. This year, as far as 3 3/4 figures go, my interest is on the downside since there is alot of EU being released. That doesn't mean that I hate EU, its just hard to get stoked about a particular figure when you don't know anything about it. Plus I really don't have alot of time to play video games or read the novels to get to know the characters.

As far as vehicles go, its very high. The AT-TE, of course, is the one I'm most excited about along with the Homing Spider Droid. I recently got the AT-AP and Greivous's Starfighter, both excellent vehicles IMO.

Its alright to get away from the collecting game for awhile. It can allow you to rediscover what you really enjoyed about collecting in the first place. And if it doesn't, you can focus on other aspects of your collection like diorama building.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Hmm. Yes, I think it is. I'm seeing less and less I want to get each year and finding better things to spend my money on. I personally doubt Hasbro will be able to keep this line alive for another 10 years.

Mvader91
02-20-2008, 03:07 PM
YEAH IT JUST BECOMES MORE IRRITATING, SO CALLED EXCLUSIVES FROM YEARS PAST AT 13.00 A POP SHOW UP AS lEGENDS FOR 6.99. lEGENDS ARE EVERYWHERE! tIME TO GET CREATIVE hASBLOW!

General_Grievous
02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
It has diminished greatly since 2005, but that's because there's less and less stuff that I want. But it's not gone, as I got excited today when I found the Jedi Evolutions pack. And I am really excited about the Yarna wave. But since the line has taken on a more EU direction, I find it less stressful to collect, as the figures from the movies are more spread out.

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat as you, Grievous. Weird thing is, I was an avid supporter of EU for years and years, and we're finally getting EU figures, but it's almost all recent garbage and Marvel stuff that should've been forgotten (mostly just so they can re-use molds ad nauseum). Sure, I get a Talon Karrde and (maybe) C-3PX out of it, but the majority doesn't interest me.

And I am officially Clonetroopered out.

jedi master sal
02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes, my interest is diminishing. Having cut my budget for SW toys in half for 2008 already says a lot.

I"m all about the realisitic figures, so the animated ones for the new cartoon are out. That by default means my toy interest is waning.

Though I will say Hasbro did at least step it up in the vehicle department.

The AT-TE alone made my year for me.

I could easily just buy that one toy for 2008 and be happy.

-Sal

Sinscia Fat'o
02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
My interest is diminishing. If the Feds keep cutting rates, it'll keep on diminishing. :)

Sinscia, I don't think most people have a predisposed hatred of EU. Most people who don't like it have some reason to do so. Some didn't like the Thrawn novels or SOTE and never went further. Some saw ridiculous things like Greedo being ground up into a drink for Jabba, or Dengar being Boba Fett's best man, or IG-88 becoming the second Death Star and stopped.

The comics have always been far below the level of quality that they should be. Yeah, there have been a few great ones, but, overall, Star Wars comics are below average. They should be great. It's an amazing franchise, and there are awesome writers and artists out there who could do incredible things with it. Instead, we get carp like, well, pretty much anything Dark Horse has produced since 1999 that didn't star Ki-Adi or take place during the Clone Wars. And how the hell do you have a crossover that spans 4,000 years? That's like "Gilgamesh meets The Fifth Element."

Personally, I make no bones about it. I still follow non-comic EU set prior to the time of Legacy. I consider Legacy to be spitting on what the films established, and horribly written to boot (novels and comics).

But Last of the Jedi? I hope they change their minds and that series goes on forever. I'd be happy if only Jude Watson, Timothy Zahn, Mike Stackpole, Matthew Stover, and Jim Luceno were writing every Star Wars book from this point on. (Karen Traviss was interesting at first, but her "one novel under many names" and tendency to put in a lot of totally boring made-up Mandalorean words got old fast.)

I understand it's different strokes for different folks, and when the EU is concerned yes there is a lot of utter trash written for it...I agree with you on the that much (Legacy comic = this statement.) Though the legacy era novels are very very good. It's actually one of the key points that brought me back to the hobby in the first place, which is why i'm passionate about it. Since I'm in the age range that the Young Jedi Knights Books stimmed from seeing Jacen's fall to the dark side was a jaw dropping read for me, and brought back several memories from my teenage years for me. (Though i'm from the age range the books are aimed at, and i understand not everyone else on here is or even read those books to begin with.)

I think the main problem with the intrest in the line from older collectors goes that hasbro isn't mixing it up right. For example:

Wave one (In my opinion...not real!)
Po Nudo (For PT Lovers)
Vader (Kid Appeal)
Obi (Kid Appeal)
ROTS Scout Trooper (Army Builder)
EU Character (Vong..Kyle Katarn ETC)
OT Character
OT character

For a line like that everyone has something they would want to buy and maybe they would impulse buy a few others...Next line up switch the numbers to have Two PT characters one EU, one Army builder, and four OT characters...

Though thats just my opnion i think another problem is the mine of characters has been pretty much dug and explored to it's best...Another reason why EU is such a strong focus for hasbro. A good example is the polls we're having on this site..it's been a headache to come up with 25 characters from the OT.

mabudonicus
02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
My "interest" in anything "new" SW related died (tho I didn't know it) in about 1994 reading that first "Heir to the Empire" book- once I got to Lando having an "illicit city" on the backs of imperial walkers to keep on the line between day and night I seriously gave RIGHT up...

I tried my damndest to like the prequels and there are a few bits of each film that are pretty damn cool- but overall, I don't like the new films at all, and as previously stated can NOT bring myself to read ANY of the F.U. except maybe for yuks- Greedo as a drink, Manaroo etc LMFAO that s#%t is rich
:beard: Iso&baws

and "wokling", as a word, is embarassing to even THINK about- sounds like something I flush down the toilet

bigbarada
02-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Yes, I've been losing interest in the modern line and focusing mainly on the vintage figures. This has happened to me a few times before and it usually correlates to periods of time when Hasbro's focus turns to the prequels or other non-OT forms of Star Wars.

I believe the original trilogy IS Star Wars, every TV show, movie, comic book, novel and video game produced after 1983 is just cashing in on the popularity generated by the OT. In other words, the book was closed in 1983 and everything that has come after is just unnecessary exposition. That should define my position on the prequels and EU very clearly.

This time around the Force Unleashed wave disgusted me SOOO much that I've made a conscious effort to avoid the stores and not even look for new toys in the Star Wars aisle. To me, TFU looks to be taking Star Wars into such an uncharacteristic direction that it's actually making me angry.

Star Wars has never been anything more than a disposable hobby for me and when something like TFU can have such an affect on my mood and overall demeanor, then I know that I'm allowing it to influence my life too much.

So, I've deliberately backed off and turned my focus back to the 1985 POTF line. Of which I've happily completed the 15 figure collection and I feel that I've actually accomplished something, rather than wasting my money.

At this point, I'll get the ROTJ wave, the new A-Wing, and the Rebel Pilots Evolutions set, along with select Galactic Heroes figures. I'm not guaranteeing that I'll buy anything else outside of that. But I'll support just about any ROTJ figure that Hasbro decides to make.

I'll watch the cartoon and decide how I feel about it after that. If I see the AT-TE and Homing Spider Droid on the store shelf, then I will buy them. But I've decided (for right now) that I'm not going to go out of my way to hunt them down. That might change after I see the cartoon.

Neuroleptic
02-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I'd say my interest is diminishing greatly, at least for the year 2008.

The only figures shown at toy fair I am interested in are both versions of R2-D2, the new B-wing pilot (but not the other two figures that will come with him . . .) and the mini clone wars walker.

Aside for those, the only thing I plan to buy this year is one TFU figure.

The AT-TE Or whatever the heck it's called rocks my sox, but I don't plan to buy it since it's too expensive for me.

After that I'll practicaly stop collecting all together. Though, that's not entierly because 2008's line up sucks. I am running out of room.

General_Grievous
02-20-2008, 05:52 PM
And I am officially Clonetroopered out.

Who isn't? I see Hasbro's history with the clones (since 2005, at least) as similar to Britney Spears. They were nice eye candy and immensely popular at first, but after a while everyone just got sick of looking at them and wanted them to go away. :p I mean, if they were film canon clones, maybe people wouldn't mind as much. But for no reason at all, Hasbro keeps making those stupid "dalmatian spot" clones that nobody wants.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Who isn't? I see Hasbro's history with the clones (since 2005, at least) as similar to Britney Spears. They were nice eye candy and immensely popular at first, but after a while everyone just got sick of looking at them and wanted them to go away. :p I mean, if they were film canon clones, maybe people wouldn't mind as much. But for no reason at all, Hasbro keeps making those stupid "dalmatian spot" clones that nobody wants.

They're making those as a tie in to Lucasfilms new collaboration with Disney for 101 Clonetroopers. Due in theaters in 2011.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm still very interested in star wars figs, always will be. I've really been concentrating much more on updating my vintage figures (I have 'em all from when I was a child, but they were much loved and played with), I don't collect any figures from the prequels or clone wars...just not interested. However, I must say I'm glad they are around for two reasons...

1. they keep the interest in Star Wars alive by attracting new people as well as old, which keeps the interest and love of the OT around and new figures coming out for the OT all the time.

2. this year I'll save lots of money because of all the PT and CW figures that are coming out and as I stated before, I really would like to spend less money this year to watch our economy and if the temptation isn't there, all the better!

So, still very interested, and will definitely get and am excited about all of the new (no repaints any longer though) OT figs that come out.

Phantom-like Menace
02-20-2008, 09:01 PM
I understand it's different strokes for different folks, and when the EU is concerned yes there is a lot of utter trash written for it...I agree with you on the that much (Legacy comic = this statement.) Though the legacy era novels are very very good. It's actually one of the key points that brought me back to the hobby in the first place, which is why i'm passionate about it. Since I'm in the age range that the Young Jedi Knights Books stimmed from seeing Jacen's fall to the dark side was a jaw dropping read for me, and brought back several memories from my teenage years for me. (Though i'm from the age range the books are aimed at, and i understand not everyone else on here is or even read those books to begin with.)

I think the main problem with the intrest in the line from older collectors goes that hasbro isn't mixing it up right. For example:

Wave one (In my opinion...not real!)
Po Nudo (For PT Lovers)
Vader (Kid Appeal)
Obi (Kid Appeal)
ROTS Scout Trooper (Army Builder)
EU Character (Vong..Kyle Katarn ETC)
OT Character
OT character

For a line like that everyone has something they would want to buy and maybe they would impulse buy a few others...Next line up switch the numbers to have Two PT characters one EU, one Army builder, and four OT characters...

Though thats just my opnion i think another problem is the mine of characters has been pretty much dug and explored to it's best...Another reason why EU is such a strong focus for hasbro. A good example is the polls we're having on this site..it's been a headache to come up with 25 characters from the OT.

I can agree with almost every part of the above. I've not read the Legacy novels, so my opinion isn't valid, but as of the middle of the Yuuzhan Vong novels, the only two good things about that era were Anakin Solo and Mara Jade. They killed Anakin, and I barely finished the New Jedi Order. The Joiner Trilogy was unreadable, and I didn't after the first book. Now that they've killed Mara Jade, I can't imagine any good coming from those novels.

However, and this is where I differ from those who hate the EU out of hand without troubling themselves to reconsider their prejudice, I think figures like Darth Talon and the Imperial Knights are pretty damned cool looking. I barely know the first thing about them, but I don't really see any reason they shouldn't be standing next to my other figures no matter where they're from. Of course, I don't have to convince myself that every single figure from the OT is cool simply because it's in those three movies. And there are characters like Mouse and Basso. I'm sure if I read the comic, they are super awesome, but I didn't, and since they don't look interesting, I don't buy them.

Your last paragraph, though, perfectly states the problem. For most of the people eulogizing their desire to collect, the problem isn't all the stuff they don't want, it's all the stuff they have. What do they have? Everything or close to everything they want. Of course their interest would wane. That doesn't mean Hasbro is doing anything wrong, nor does it mean others shouldn't have the chance to get what they want. It simply means these people are done collecting and don't realize that's not inherently a problem.

You and I on the other hand, still have enough figures left to last us until at least 2018. Our interest isn't waning because we still have things to look forward to. Sadly enough, we know there is absolutely no chance we'll get every figure we want, because there is a kernel of truth to the rhetoric: EU figures will never outsell main movie characters, and you can't sell EU figures except as suplements to main movie characters. Now the haters will exaggerate that statement to mean the most popular EU figure will be outsold by the least popular movie figure, and for some reason a moderator would get made at me for insulting their intelligence--I hope because I'm stating the obvious.

I still say if there weren't so much illconsidered pressure to prevent Hasbro from making EU before, we could all still have figures to look forward to. But now that they've cried and made themselves miserable to make sure they got everything they wanted while I waited, I really wish I could at least get what little I can get of what I want without them crying and making me miserable.

jamesbondo07
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I have to admit my interest for 2008 has gone down a lot. Especially after seeing pictures from the toy fair. Except for a few figures most are going to be really easy to pass on. Maybe save a little money this year. :thumbsup:

Thunderbird
02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Not me! After seeing the Toy Fair pics it's even stronger. I for one like it when they do something different. I liked the original CW figures. I wish they would do more in that style. I also like that they made some into movie style figures and hope they continue this in the future. This year looks great to me. I don't anything that I don't want:D

Jaff
02-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Awesome question, awesome thread topic! I'm a strict movie collector. I don't do any of the EU stuff, in fact if I have to get a figure pack that has something with EU I always put the EU stuff on ebay immediately. With that said here's some of my history.

From 1995 (POTF) - 2002 (AOTC) I bought 2 of every figure (including resculpts) and every vehicle. I opened one, kept one in package, and I opened every vehicle. With the AOTC super poses my interest really diminished.

From 2002 (AOTC) - January 2005 (End OTC) I got one of every figure including resculpts and vehicles. Yet after the OTC line ended I was getting really tired of resculpts. I cracked open every single figure I bought and bought 2 or three figs for package display. However I do collect all VOTC in and out of package which is quite pricy. During ROTS line I had a major army building phase, and I was only interested in getting vehicles that were the right scale.

From 2005 (ROTS) to 2007 (End TAC) - I don't buy resculps unless they are significant and I mean very significant improvements. I don't buy battle packs, and since I have all my army builders I don't buy them either. I bought a major amount of stuff last year, but since I have over 500 figs and every scale vehicle it's hard for me to gravitate to new stuff. That brings us to this year.

The Future - Since there is no VOTC it's a bummer, but I will save at least $100 bucks there. Since everything was announced at Toyfair and we know what is mostly comming out till August here's my to get list as of January 1, 2008:

Obi-Wan's Hyperspace Starfighter - got this
General Grievous Starfighter - picked this up
AT-AP - This just looks cool, picked it up
Commander Gree
Kashyyk Trooper 41st Elite
Tri Droid
2-1B
Po Nudo
Mustafar Panning Droid
Ewok 2-pack with Leektar and Nippet
Ak-Rev with drum
Yarna D’al Gargan
Bane Malor
Droid Factory with Han - I want a blue coat Han with his hood up. The other figs don't matter.
Evolutions: Padme
Evolutions: Rebel Pilots
Hoth Battle Pack with R5-M2 - Yes, I just want the R5 unit! That's it!
Clone Wars: AT-TE
Clone Wars: Homing Spider Droid

It's stunning that for 7 full months I will just get 19 items unless something else is announced. My interest has really laxed because of the EU stuff, and I'm getting to the point that since figs are sparse and few I think of SW less than I ever did. I've turned to getting every Sideshow 12", but I still lick my lips for movie accurate figs, and the AT-TE, Bane, and Yarna have me drooling. The Padme Evolutions is pretty cool. The fact is there is little for me to get now, and it's up to Hasbro to keep the line from going totally EU, which is what they choose to do this year (sorry, I like the clone wars, but I'm not going to collect cartoon SW figs). If they don't hold attention to the movie figs once in a while I have a big enough collection to say I'm done, and with three kids I'm ready to do that in the next 5 years unless Hasbro starts doing playsets, large vehicles or more background characters.

CaptainSolo1138
02-20-2008, 10:34 PM
They still make them Star Wars action toys?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-20-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure if my interest is diminishined, or getting much smaller, but it's probably not quite as high as it used to be (I'm talking about every aspect of Star Wars).

Before the movies came out, I used to love to read new information on them and then of course pore over them when they came out. Now there are obviously no new "real" movies, and it's much harder to get super-excited about the new projects when they never release any information until just a few months before they come out. But I did get quite giddy the other day with the official announcement of the Clone Wars theatrical release and everything (only to have it dampened quite a bit after reading negative stuff here from other visitors . . .).

As for the new figures, that kind of goes hand in hand with new movies. I loved the release days for the prequel products and I'm hoping they do it up big again for Clone Wars (I'm just glad there's an apparent concentrated release date, at least). As has been stated by others, I still get excited when I find something new in stores, though I wish I didn't have to wade through thousands of Saga Legends figures to find them. My stuff has been in boxes for a few months and still will be until we get the new basement finished and I can set up shelves, so my ability to enjoy my stuff has not been there but I assume will kick in again when I finally get the boxes open again. I was very impressed by most of the Toy Fair stuff I saw, though, so it's looking bright this year.

On EU stuff, I'm just really happy right now with the comic pack format. I don't know most of these characters but it's good to be able to read their stories right when I get the figures. Some have been really good (Purge was a cool story) and some have been odd (one had a basic-speaking Wookiee . . .). This reflects my overall feel for the EU, which is some is good but most is terrible. I like most of the Clone Wars and prequel-era stuff compared to the post-ROTJ stuff, though.

So, in short, I still love it, but I wish there was more new stuff to get truly excited about. Hopefully the show is good, then.

joe-da
02-20-2008, 11:09 PM
(deleted - it posted twice for some reason)

joe-da
02-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm still as interested ever in the Star Wars films & figure collecting. I'm just not that interested in most of the stuff that's going to be out this year.

sebillba
02-21-2008, 04:11 AM
I collect quite a few different lines, and my interest flits from one to another - sometimes I'm more into vintage Action Man, other times it could be Doctor Who or Pirates of the Caribbean figures, it usually depends on which property has got the most new stuff out. SW is always my number one collection, but sometimes I wish the line would come to an end, as I really don't have the space for much more, other times I'm craving more.

At the moment I'm really into SW - 90% of my 3.75" collection is on permanent display, and I love having them around me. With all the delays of the TAC figures, I saved the last few waves for Christmas, and had a stack of stuff to open, which really revitalised my enthusiasm for the hobby.

I'm trying to cut back, so I'm happy to see TFU and animated CW, as I can easily pass on them, but I can still look forward to the ROTJ wave. In the meantime I can search out the Po Nudo wave and the evo packs, which should be enough to keep my interest bubbling away, without being overwhelmed by too much new stuff. I don't feel the need to get all the EU figs, but I can pick and choose the ones I like, such as Thrawn/Karrde, as I read those books, or those nice new shiny red guards - I've no idea who or what they are, but they just look cool.

So right now, I'm really enjoying the hobby - I'm pretty much up to date with the older stuff, and I don't feel the need to buy everything that's coming out, just what I like, which makes it more fun, and less of a chore. I've enjoyed looking at all the TF stuff (and reading the discussions about it) - I'm happy that I don't want everything I see, but I still like to see it, and as long as there is still something I do want, then I'm still excited by collecting. And I'm enjoying the current polls on here to find the most wanted unmade figures - anything that might help get Bom Vimdin or the Utai made is cool with me.

Bosskman
02-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Since I only coolect movie stuff (except for the occasional realistic style EU figure that looks cool) it's a no-brainer that as more and more movie stuff gets crossed off the list to be made and its place is filled with EU stuff the less I will buy in any given year. This year while there are a few big items (well one really, don't think I have to mention it) that I'll definately get for sure, I'm going to pick and choose among the rest. I bet, out of all the Hasbro stuff this year, I'll probably get 25-30% of it which is an all time low but my interest is still high for the stuff I want. I actually like it this way a lot better than constantly trying to justify buying toys I really don't want.

Kidhuman
02-21-2008, 06:38 AM
With the animated style of figs announced, I have diminished interest. I still plan on getting the TAC and TLC lines though. I have been very picky and choosy about figs nowadays. I still do army build wit certain figs, more so the OT stuff. I have a ton of Clones from ROTS, I want some more from AOTC, the legends line helped.

I was never a completest, but I tried to get alot of the figures. I started passing on the resculpts and only bought newer sculpts last year(except for the pack in stuff). I dont need 30 Chewies, 20 Hans, 100 Vaders.....

I do like the comic packs and some of the EU stuff for this year as it is from stuff I have read and know.

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I'll admit some of the Legacy designs are cool.

But I don't want to buy figures I have no interest in simply because they're cool designs. And I don't want to send Hasbro and Dark Horse a message that I support this mess.

Old Fossil
02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I like the comic packs, even though I know next to nothing about the characters and/or storylines. Emphasis this year is off the basic TAC-type figure line though, seemingly, at that's my biggest draw; so it's going to be an off year for me for collecting. I've been actively downsizing my collection, giving away some things, selling others.

I'm not buying the AT-TE. Sorry, I know it has wide appeal, but for me it can't hold a candle to the mighty AT-AT, and never will. And the way the economy is looking, you folks who want it (and can afford it) better get it when you see it. Big-ticket offerings like that aren't going to be on the shelves much in the near future, since consumers increasingly have less cash for expensive toys. "Gas, or an AT-TE?" Hmm...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-21-2008, 02:49 PM
"Gas, or an AT-TE?" Hmm...
Judging by its size, you could probably drive to work in the AT-TE. :D

dindae
02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I would have to say that my interest has wanned but most due to the fact that like many have stated that my collection is close to complete. I know if Hasbro stopped right now I would not feel upset however there are still plenty of figures that I would buy. I have finally broken myself of my completist ways mainly due to space but also because I looked at the upcoming year and saw that with the Clone Wars, TFU, comic packs, repacks, and rehashes that getting "everything" no longer meant that I was excited about most of it. I know that I have picked up items in the past just for the sake of completing the collection but it was only a few items like shirtless Maul and the Mandalorean packs. But now the amount of items that fall into that category are too many for me to justify purchasing because "it completes the collection". I don't think that really means that I'm less excited but more that there is less that Hasbro can offer me to get excited about. As far as EU for me it comes down to what I connect with. I have read some of the novels some are decent and others are completely forgetable. But some characters have emerged to be a welcome addition to the universe like Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Quinlan Vos, etc. So there probably a good 60+ characters I would buy from the EU. And maybe I will be blown away by the Clone Wars or TFU and want to go back and buy all of the figures but I doubt it.

jedi master sal
02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
When compared to years past, my interest is most definitely waning.

As I've mentioned before here, I halved my budget. That was done before even knowing anything that was coming out for this year.

Now that I've seen that stuff, well at least the stuff from Toy Fair, I know I'll be able to stick to my new budget.

Virtually no movie army builders, with exception to the Kashyyyk clone. SO that has put me into near retirement from army building.

I'll get ONE of each droid two-pack. I'll get some of the comic packs and won't army build any of them. (Though i will squad build the white commando set when I can finally find it.)

The lack of basic figures for 4 months will help keep my spending down. The announced realistic figures so far are one-time only purchases, so again I'm saving.

I have very low interest in the Cartoon figures coming out, so I'll save a TON there.

Hasbro didn't announce everything for this year. We'll find out more from SDCC. But we do know there are only a few waves left of realistic for this year. So unless they've got something truly mind blowing they are keeping up their sleeve (and I don't see how ANYTHING can top the AT-TE), then at least with regards to toys, my interest in SW collecting will plummet.

I plan on halving my budget again in 2009. If I were asked in early 2007 if I could do that for 2009, I'd have had serious doubts.

Now, I'm practically a lock for it. To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with it too.

Many of you who know me here, know that I've had a plan for the "next phase" of my Star Wars fandom, and that is to build those huge dioramas. So I may be able to start those much sooner than planned, and I'll be much happier for it.

So my interest in SW in general won't be waning, again, just the toys.

Tycho
02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
There are 15 figures in the first 2 waves for 2008.

I am buying 7 different ones.

With multiples I need for dioramas, I'll actually purchase 15 figures though.

1 / 4 Evolutions sets interests me.

I may get no comic packs in the initial waves, but later the figures get good.

The vehicles I'm very excited about!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

All I'm doing is completing the battle dioramas I want to set up. I have no plans to start gathering elements for new ones, like more animated CW or KOTOR stuff.

One day I hope to be concentrating almost exclusively on setting up and displaying what I've got.

My interest isn't diminishing. It's changing the way I focus it to be more centered around what I've got than what I can go to the store and get.

General_Grievous
02-21-2008, 10:23 PM
After scoring 2008 wave 1 on Hasbro Toy Shop today, I have to say my interest has been revitalized. But then again, until the ROTJ wave hits, I don't have too much to get other than Zev Senesca and the Fett Evolutions set. It's weird. I'm already done with almost half of what I want in 2008.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-21-2008, 10:29 PM
After scoring 2008 wave 1 on Hasbro Toy Shop today, I have to say my interest has been revitalized. But then again, until the ROTJ wave hits, I don't have too much to get other than Zev Senesca and the Fett Evolutions set. It's weird. I'm already done with almost half of what I want in 2008.

When is that new wave of Fan Choice saga legends supposed to hit shelves? I want Zev and the Shadow stormie...almost forgot about these!

Rogue II
02-21-2008, 10:46 PM
My interest is definatly diminishing. I only collect OT and 2007 is the fewest number of figures I've bought in a non-movie year. If I'm reading the upcoming toy list correctly, it doesn't look like I'll be buying any more SW until July at best.

Instead, I've started buying McFarlane NHL Legends figures. Just got Gordie Howe today!

Phantom-like Menace
02-22-2008, 01:19 AM
It seems to me that most of the people complaining anymore are giving so little thought to the actual toys and so much more thought to a desire to complain and call to attention the fact that they're complaining, that I wonder if it wouldn't be more appropriate for them to post their comments in the General Discussion section.

I mean, I look in the toy sections for actual information about toys, which I think this site is theoretically supposed to provide, and I have to wade through post after post of nonsensical bull**** like (not exact quotes, because I'm not drawing attention to anyone in particular--honestly it would be hard not to find someone doing this) "This toy makes fart smells because it's more or less obscure than some other toy they should have made."

Thanks buddy. That's good and relevant.

jedi master sal
02-22-2008, 06:38 AM
PLM made the point that this was more a general discussion topic than toy news, so I moved it here to the general discussion portion of the forums.

-Sal

CaptainSolo1138
02-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Instead, I've started buying McFarlane NHL Legends figures. Just got Gordie Howe today!RB and I were talking about those the other day. I wanted to buy Cam Neely SO bad the other day but I can't justify spending $15 on a dust collector.

Mister Roboto
02-22-2008, 09:39 AM
It seems to me that most of the people complaining anymore are giving so little thought to the actual toys and so much more thought to a desire to complain and call to attention the fact that they're complaining, that I wonder if it wouldn't be more appropriate for them to post their comments in the General Discussion section.

I mean, I look in the toy sections for actual information about toys, which I think this site is theoretically supposed to provide, and I have to wade through post after post of nonsensical bull**** like (not exact quotes, because I'm not drawing attention to anyone in particular--honestly it would be hard not to find someone doing this) "This toy makes fart smells because it's more or less obscure than some other toy they should have made."

Thanks buddy. That's good and relevant.

So your interest is diminishing because you are getting tired complaining about others complaining about their diminishing interest?

Jargo
02-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I find my interest in phantom like menaces greatly diminishing on a spiralling track to the bung hole of the universe.

El Chuxter
02-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry. I thought this was a toy discussion forum, where we discussed toys. We can't all agree all the time, and that's what makes it a discussion as opposed to a consensus. I've always thought a discussion can be interesting, but a consensus is always boring. I must have been wrong, and will endeavor to only voice my consent in the future.

CaptainSolo1138
02-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Your opinion is stupid, you dummyhead.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Phantom-like Menace
02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
It's fine if you don't like what I say, and I wasn't suggesting that this thread in particular be moved to the general section, but it would be pretty awesome, if you would at least read what I'm saying before you attack me.

If a person is giving absolutely no critical thought to the toy they're commenting on, to the point where that person could have clicked on an entirely different thread by accident and the post would have had just as much to do with that toy as another, how can you tell me that person is saying anything relevant to the discussion? If my every comment is just pointlessly negative without even looking at the toy, how am I talking about the toy? I'm not.

I've set several users to ignore simply because I don't get any information from them. They're not talking about toys, which, yes, I think we should actually be doing, just as I actually said in my post, they're just cutting and pasting the same pointless nonsense over and over again. If you want to tell me that is talking about toys, then, sure I don't want tot talk about toys.

Now several people here chose to take offense to what I wrote. Standard question in that situation: if you don't feel you're doing just that, why do you seem to take offense?

I don't know why some of you are even discussing toys. You don't like them, you won't like them, you've convinced yourself you can't like them, all to the point where you can't even make a balanced, informative critique. If you're just here for the companionship, and can't say anything informative, there is a General Board section. Start threads to your heart's content about how Star Wars toys make you feel bloated, and keep it out of what is supposed to be a section providing actual information and insight relevant to toys.

But clearly, I'm completely off base about this and it's uncalled for to expect people to make critical (which if you'll look up is not actually a synonym for negative) comments. And if you haven't actually read the above, then yes, sure, I'm saying we should never talk about toys. That's exactly what I'm saying. Just ignore all the parts where I suggest we actually talk about toys, and it means just that. I can be sarcastic too.:rolleyes:

So your interest is diminishing because you are getting tired complaining about others complaining about their diminishing interest?

I see what you did there. That was both constructive and clever. When you have nothing to say about the argument, don't be critical of the point, be critical of the person making it.

bigbarada
02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
If someone is truly on this site to ONLY see information about new toys and not participate in any kind of discussions, then why would you even click on a thread titled "Anybody else find their interest diminishing?" :confused:

If you're ONLY interested in news and not any sort of discussion where a differing opinion might be voiced, then there is a section for that. It's called "News" and you'll find it's link right up at the top of the page between "Home" and "Forums.":p

bigbarada
02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
If you truly hate the Expanded Universe as much as you claim, you have to call her the only name she's given in the movies: Fat Dancer.

Actually we'd call her Gargan. That's the name that Kenner was going to put on her POTF coin if she had been made. I'm not sure if the name came from ILM or if Kenner made it up.

Jargo
02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
LFL named her Gargan in pre-production.

Tycho
02-22-2008, 09:56 PM
PLM made the point that this was more a general discussion topic than toy news, so I moved it here to the general discussion portion of the forums.

It sounds like some people are just interested in buying memorobilia. There's nothing wrong with that. It's why they'll buy sports figures or other movie or television properties.

Thus people had interest in Star Wars products for various reasons in the first place. Not everyone is a diorama builder like myself, nor is that a good OR bad thing. It's just whatever people want it to be.

That being said, MadSlantedPowers has been polling for what Star Wars figures would still interest people. I think that for those who just want memorobilia, the hobby would be over. They should have Luke Skywalker in just about every way that's convceivable (almost).

The niche group of diorama builders will want the Ice Cream Maker Guy. Hasbro could make him, and see how much of him they can sell to those who remain interested in the hobby.

The larger group who either don't recognize Wilrow Hood, prequel characters, or EU characters should just leave the hobby. There interest SHOULD diminish. There's nothing left for them except resculpt city for the most part. While the diorama builders are NOT going to share their enthusiasm for repeating characters we aleady have versus getting new ones that fill in scenes we want to create with the last obscure hold-outs.

The EU works similarly. It's a niche that reads the SW EU comics, novels, or plays the games. It's a smaller segment of those fans that want figures from these properties, yet. And then you break it down further between those fans that just want to collect characters like Cade Skywalker, and those that want his whole cast of characters he intereracts with to make more dioramas with. If you don't like that stuff, sure you can say your peace. But some just hammer away at repeating that point as if THIS is what's wrong with their life and the cause of their unhappiness or something. :rolleyes:

I think they're just mad that people who can enjoy the prequels or EU are happy about something, and those that aren't don't have anything further from the hobby that they can take enjoyment out of.

Phantom-like Menace
02-22-2008, 11:31 PM
If you don't like that stuff, sure you can say your peace. But some just hammer away at repeating that point as if THIS is what's wrong with their life and the cause of their unhappiness or something. :rolleyes:

And that's a good deal of what I'm saying without assuming anything I didn't say.

I like this site. With the exception of one or two people who need to let the adults do the talking, we don't have the constant problems with maturity most other sites have. We can have disagreements that both sides actually care about resolving and not just winning. I like the people here--most of the people I've blocked are my favorite posters outside of this problem. A lot of us only have the Internet to discuss Star Wars with. These people I'm complaining about, I don't even have to be on the Internet to discuss things with them. I can just put a post-it note that reads, "It sucks," on the corner of my computer, and I can have exactly the same discussion with that post it note.

Constant negativity is depressing. Why would anyone be excited about Star Wars when their outlet for discussion is a handful of people who rubber stamp everything with the words, "It sucks?" Of course I have diminishing interest in that. Who wouldn't?

If I can call somone out specifically for being awesome, JediTricks and I hardly ever agree. But he usually actually considers his opinions, and he's one of the few people I can actually get second opinions from, because I know he's given the item fair thought. I value his opinion because he hasn't devalued it.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-23-2008, 12:01 AM
LFL named her Gargan in pre-production.

I always thought her name came from "Tales from Jabba's Palace"? Love that book btw :thumbsup:

bigbarada
02-23-2008, 01:55 AM
And that's a good deal of what I'm saying without assuming anything I didn't say.

I like this site. With the exception of one or two people who need to let the adults do the talking, we don't have the constant problems with maturity most other sites have. We can have disagreements that both sides actually care about resolving and not just winning. I like the people here--most of the people I've blocked are my favorite posters outside of this problem. A lot of us only have the Internet to discuss Star Wars with. These people I'm complaining about, I don't even have to be on the Internet to discuss things with them. I can just put a post-it note that reads, "It sucks," on the corner of my computer, and I can have exactly the same discussion with that post it note.

Constant negativity is depressing. Why would anyone be excited about Star Wars when their outlet for discussion is a handful of people who rubber stamp everything with the words, "It sucks?" Of course I have diminishing interest in that. Who wouldn't?

If I can call somone out specifically for being awesome, JediTricks and I hardly ever agree. But he usually actually considers his opinions, and he's one of the few people I can actually get second opinions from, because I know he's given the item fair thought. I value his opinion because he hasn't devalued it.

I must be on his ignore list because he's not answering my questions.:D

Jargo
02-23-2008, 10:18 AM
If I remember correctly, she was dubbed gargan by the production team as a play on gargantuan and gorgon (the headdress looking a little like writhing snakes). the costume design drawings have gargan written on them. Kenner just copied the designation.
she got her name the same way the other costume characters did, just an easy way to refer to them when they had no scripted name.
I believe Nilo Rodis-Jamero designed the costume. 1981 or 1982.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yarnadalgargan/?id=bts

Deoxyribonucleic
02-23-2008, 12:10 PM
If I remember correctly, she was dubbed gargan by the production team as a play on gargantuan and gorgon (the headdress looking a little like writhing snakes). the costume design drawings have gargan written on them. Kenner just copied the designation.
she got her name the same way the other costume characters did, just an easy way to refer to them when they had no scripted name.
I believe Nilo Rodis-Jamero designed the costume. 1981 or 1982.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yarnadalgargan/?id=bts

Thanks hun, this whole time since I read that book back in the 90's and first learned of her name, I thought that's where it came from. :thumbsup: I wonder if decipher gave her the 'yarna d'al' part lol

Jargo
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM
it may even have been the west end games books that gave her that part of the name. it's not an area I'm familiar with. all that EU gives me brainache.

it's kinda interesting that in the costume design Gargan has nostrils like jabba.

TeeEye7
02-23-2008, 02:03 PM
it's kinda interesting that in the costume design Gargan has nostrils like jabba.

Maybe she's Jabba's and Jira's love child. :love:

Jargo
02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
perhaps that's a jabba design that got abandoned lol cross dressing hutt as gang leader.

JetsAndHeels
02-25-2008, 11:43 PM
This is an interesting thread.

Let me just say first of all that I abandoned my completist ways nearly 3 years ago when the ROTS line was about to be released. That was my first step toward freedom. From then I only bought what I wanted.

Since then, my interest in the toys has diminished but not for star wars itself. I don't buy many sw figures anymore. Out of TAC I have stuff like animated fett, mcfett, jango w/poncho, holo vader. The rest I can pass on easily.

Another thing I wanted to say in my post was that I got to thinking about stuff like the midnight madness sales for the prequel toys. The EP1 and EP2 launches...even the EP3 launch, even though I didnt buy as much that time.

For me that was as good as it gets with toy releases. I had so much fun in 1999 and 2002. I remember waiting in line at TRU for the phantom menace toys with my friends..the whole experience was great.
Same thing with the AOTC stuff. Going to the store and waiting, talking to fellow fans and enjoying the hobby.

THe toy runs were always something special. Leaving at 11am and coming back at like 8 pm. Hitting every walmart, target, tru, mall, and anything in between that might have sw toys. Sure it was tiring, but damn it sure was fun. The thrill of the hunt, as they say.

I look back at those times and I can honestly say I loved every minute of it. I think the main part of it is I really enjoy being with people who love what I love....people who share my interests. To be able to talk about these things, face to face, and enjoy the company. Its a great thing.

Tycho
02-26-2008, 12:43 AM
I have to agree with what you are saying JetsAndHeels.

I don't think we'll ever have a time again like the Midnite Madness sales - or the camp-outs for the movies themselves.

I'm glad those are part of my memories.

JetsAndHeels
02-26-2008, 12:51 AM
I have to agree with what you are saying JetsAndHeels.

I don't think we'll ever have a time again like the Midnite Madness sales - or the camp-outs for the movies themselves.

I'm glad those are part of my memories.

I am glad I have those memories myself.

To be honest, I am sitting here missing those days. I can think of some friends I had during those times that I do not see or hear from anymore.

Tycho
02-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah. Life goes on.

Some people will try to re-invent the past, like try to gain the experience back with GI Joe or Indiana Jones collectibles or something.

I look at it like this: you had your toy experience and it was a good one and it will never be the same - they're different toys to start with.

So you find something different. I'm really enjoying going to Queensryche concerts and mixing with their fans.

My interest in sports is higher than it used to be, so that can be all-new for me. I'm already in the habit of going to a lot of MLB games, so I look forward to the Padres' new season, and I really enjoyed the Giants handing Tom Brady a lesson earlier this month. (Actually Brady is an admirable player, it was just ridiculous that New England was never defeated until the 'Bowl).

So there are other experiences that are out there. I also went on a Pirate Battle simulation cruise on a real ship. With a focus on buying toys like there was no tomorrow before, I didn't have a few spare "Benjamins" to drop doing things like learning to fly a plane, etc.

You don't need to chase toys to have fun and meet people who are really "into" being a fan of one thing or another - as a Tarheels and Jets fan, you already know this.

You don't have to give up your toys that you have. Gosh I'd never! I love my SW. But if buying more of it ends, SO WHAT?

Fortunately, I have some collecting friends around still, and I have all the guys on these boards (the one or two that actually like me ;) ) and I will be able to share the dioramas I will build in the upcoming years and the friendships should last.

But I make new friends in new areas of interest as well - and with different kinds of people, as not all are "toy types."

Mvader91
02-26-2008, 01:32 AM
I guess the bottom line is if you like something,go for it. As we get older interests change. Are people afraid of letting go. Is it an investment situation? Not many people retire off toys. I still love buying figs,hitting stores and making scores. Collecting is what each individual makes it. So what if interest is waning. Matters of importance change such is life?

Tycho
02-26-2008, 04:23 AM
I agree. Do something so long as you enjoy doing it. Don't expect it to stay the same forever, though.

There's nothing wrong with Star Wars or Hasbro in general, just because you get tired of this. It will happen.

Be thankful that many of you got to spend 2/3 of your life in childhood (for the average 30-year old around here).

Ages 5-15 or so, you had KENNER Star Wars.
Ages 25-35 or so (almost), you had Hasbro starting with POTF2.

You might not be 35 yet, or just a bit older or younger, but basically everything but your high school and early college years were spent with the companionship of Star Wars. THAT WAS A LOT OF FUN!

Now you wouldn't want it to be your WHOLE life, would you? Presumably, most of you probably have 50 or more years yet to live. Don't you think you'll ever like something else besides toy collecting?

I think you'll also be surprised what you can afford if you don't center your life on this. You know, some of you spend the cost of airfare to Hawaii and a hotel for at least half a week on the stuff offered at Midnite Madness. Now that this is over with Star Wars, you could save to try to do the same thing over again with GI Joe, Transformers, or Indiana Jones or something, or you could try saving to go to Hawaii (or the 2009 Superbowl, or wherever) and do something different. Is having a new toy collection and trying (probably unsuccessfully) to never move on from those nights standing in line outside Toys R Us really going to recapture the moment when you "felt the Force?" Doing something different makes you a more interesting person.

You'd be surprised how quickly time might pass if you're saving up for some new adventure that you told yourself you couldn't afford before because you needed money for your toys. :rolleyes:

Phantom-like Menace
02-26-2008, 08:17 PM
(the one or two that actually like me ;) )

Surely it's at least three or four. I guess we can compromise and go with the average, so 2.5 people like you. There is one that's on the fence.;)

jedi master sal
02-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Surely it's at least three or four. I guess we can compromise and go with the average, so 2.5 people like you. There is one that's on the fence.;)

Tycho, I'm not on the fence...your good with me.

-sal

bigbarada
02-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Tycho's cool with me :thumbsup:, so there's the two. Who's on the fence?

Phantom-like Menace
02-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Tycho, I'm not on the fence...your good with me.

-sal

So we'll do a roll call. All of us who like Tycho give a thumbs up::thumbsup:

Show him the love, people!

Surely this will expose the possibly hypothetical Mr .5.

figrin bran
02-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Despite his Michael Bay obsession, Tycho is alright :p

Kidhuman
02-27-2008, 06:08 AM
I can take him or leave hm(I guess thats on the fence) :D

El Chuxter
02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I was on the fence, but it ripped my pants.

Jargo
02-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I guess you could count me as a .5

so there.

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 09:43 AM
It's the end of the second month of 2008. What toys have I bought this year?

SW:
Pax Boknik (2007 holdover)
Hawkbat Battalion Clonetrooper (2007 holdover)
Rebel Vanguard Trooper (2007 holdover)
2-1B
Tri-Droid
McQuarrie Rebel Trooper (2007 holdover)
Legacy of the Jedi Evolutions
Commander Keller/Galactic Marine set (clearanced)
Boba Fett/Purple RA-7 set (clearanced)

GIJoe:
Iron Grenadier Destro
Snow Job
Crimson Guard
Stalker
Zartan
Sgt. Flash
Tomax/Xamot comic pack
Wild Weasel/Ace comic pack
Unmasked Fred-Series Crimson Guard/"Scarface" Cobra Officer comic pack
Battle-Damaged Silent Castle Snake Eyes/Battle-Damaged Silent Castle Storm Shadow comic pack

DC Heroes:
The Penguin

Total MSRP: $164.

That sounds like a lot, but I got some of the stuff on clearance (the WM exclusive comic packs, oddly enough), and a good deal of the items were technically 2007 releases. (I marked the 2007 releases I was sure of, but I think some others were as well.) And it's way down from my spending at this time of year over the past several years (since a lot of toys go on clearance after Christmas, and new stuff starts hitting hard in January).

I've passed on a good deal of the Star Wars toys I've seen. Based on what we've seen, I'll be passing on the bulk of Star Wars until fall.

I think I showed remarkable restraint on the DCU figures. I rather wanted Metamorpho (why is he called "Elemental Man" on the packaging?), and actually had the whole set in my cart. But I figured another Batman was superfluous, Red Tornado was always kinda cool but not amazing, I couldn't care less about Orion, and Etrigan was the only other one I was really marginally excited about. Not wanting a repeat of Marvel Legends, where I bought tons of figures I didn't want to build ones I did, I opted for only the truly essential new Batman villain. (Besides, I know there are upcoming waves I want all of. And upcoming BAF's I actually want more than Metamorpho, like Grodd.)

GIJoe is the only big line for me now. I've passed on a few items. The Cobra Legions, well, I still kick my butt for underestimating the demand for this item on clearance. I might still order it from HTS. The garish Duke/Cobra Commander comic set is worthless; I have the original and the figures are pointless. Garishly colored Scarlett and Hawk I would've gotten, until I saw there's a TRU exclusive with Hawk and Grunt. I passed several times on the "other" (non-damaged) Silent Castle Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow set, though now I kinda want it, since it is one of the greatest comics stories of all time, and it'd be nice to have a reprint to read rather than breaking out my old copy.

Hell, I'm actually even tempted by the vehicles on the Joe line. The only single-carded figure I've passed on so far was Serpentor (lousy character, pointless redesign, and a truly awful looking figure). Well, those and the re-releases of the original boxed sets. I doubt I'll get the five-packs, since there's too much rehash and not enough new stuff, but who can say. And some of the upcoming resculpts seem pointless (Tiger Force Flint, Cobra Commander with MASS Device) while others made me crap in excitement when I saw them (Baroness w/ green glasses, Arctic Snake Eyes w/ Kwinn's weasel skull amulet).

I'm actually hoping that whoever gets the license from Devil's Due starts reprinting the Marvel (and Devil's Due) runs. I would buy the entire series in paperback to read start to end without risking my (occasionally) valuable old comics.

Kidhuman
02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
The figs you have listed as holdover will only be holdover if they have a coin. If they have the stand, they are 08 releases of them, sans Pax who was only an 07 release

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
They all had coins. Not that I care about the stupid coins, but they had them. Except maybe the Deuce and Tri-Droid.

stillakid
02-29-2008, 10:41 AM
It took me a while to read this thread because I wasn't interested. :D

I still enjoy getting little 4" renditions of the characters. Not sure why. It's just cool. Maybe I don't need any other reason than that. Then again, I don't really have to justify what I do to anyone.

I don't have the time to do much with them, but I still like getting the toys and other Star Wars stuff.

Kidhuman
02-29-2008, 10:43 AM
They all had coins. Not that I care about the stupid coins, but they had them. Except maybe the Deuce and Tri-Droid.

The Deuce and Tri-Droid were wave 1, slated for stands, all the rest were then last years leftovers.

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I haven't even opened them yet. Yeah, it's The Deuce, but I need to make room so that he can be displayed properly in all his glory.

Maybe with Grimlock and Skywarp as his bodyguards, and the Crimson Twins kneeling at his feet.

Phantom-like Menace
02-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I passed several times on the "other" (non-damaged) Silent Castle Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow set, though now I kinda want it, since it is one of the greatest comics stories of all time, and it'd be nice to have a reprint to read rather than breaking out my old copy.

Just so you know, if you're talking about the one that has the softgoods cloak on Storm Shadow, it's a fairly heavily edited version of Silent Interlude. Among other things missing from it, it doesn't show Snakes catching the sword just before it stabs Scarlett.

Qui-Long Gone
02-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I finally bought one of the GI Joe figs and overall I'm not too impressed with the line....but I'm happy with my Storm Shadow....

I also bought the Jedi Evolutions pack just to get a descent Swan and Jin....why Luke?

I don't find myself as eager to collect stuff as say, last year; however, Hasbro keeps offering a few figures that seem worth my time. I think what keeps me interested most is the hope of the perfect figure (aka Red Piolot Obi-Wan, Vintage Snow/Biker troopers, etc.)....I'm still holding out for Jabba's dias and a Hutt that sculpts perfect eyes....I'm also holding out for the perfect Luke (throne room battle), the perfect blown-to-bits ESB C3PO, a perfect Wickett, and a six breasted dancer.....:laugh:

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Just so you know, if you're talking about the one that has the softgoods cloak on Storm Shadow, it's a fairly heavily edited version of Silent Interlude. Among other things missing from it, it doesn't show Snakes catching the sword just before it stabs Scarlett.

Nah, I'm actually referring to the one before it, with the (only slightly) repainted versions of the first Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow from the new line. I got the one you're referring to. (It's actually supposed to be "cut scenes" from "Silent Interlude," but it doesn't make a lot of sense if "Silent Interlude" isn't fresh in your mind.)

I'd like to get the first set so I can read both and try to figure out the proper order. It may be $10, but it would save me the worry of reading my already damaged original.

Phantom-like Menace
03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Nah, I'm actually referring to the one before it, with the (only slightly) repainted versions of the first Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow from the new line. I got the one you're referring to. (It's actually supposed to be "cut scenes" from "Silent Interlude," but it doesn't make a lot of sense if "Silent Interlude" isn't fresh in your mind.)

I'd like to get the first set so I can read both and try to figure out the proper order. It may be $10, but it would save me the worry of reading my already damaged original.

Ah, I only flipped through it enough to see that it wasn't the original. Cool, I may have to check that out.