PDA

View Full Version : Maxim magazine loses whatever credibility it had....

El Chuxter
02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
From the AP via Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080223/ap_en_mu/music_black_crowes_maxim;_ylt=AitKlAwpHrP60OVB266X Nxus0NUE):

NEW YORK - The Black Crowes are lashing out at Maxim magazine for reviewing the band's new album apparently without actually hearing it first.

The review, published in Maxim's March issue, gives the Crowes' "Warpaint" a rating of two-and-a-half stars out of five.

"The writer who has not heard the album since advance CDs were not made available wrote what appears to be a disparaging assessment anyway, citing, `it hasn't left Chris Robinson and the gang much room for growth,'" said a statement on the band's official Web site.

The band's manager, Pete Angelus, said the magazine explained that its review was an "educated guess."

"It speaks directly to the lack of the publication's credibility," Angelus said in a statement. "In my opinion, it's a disgrace to the arts, journalism, critics, the publication itself and the public. What's next Maxim's concert reviews of shows they never attended, book reviews of books never read and film reviews of films never seen?"

A representative for the magazine would not confirm or deny to The Associated Press whether the writer actually listened to the album. Instead, Maxim released this statement in response: "Maxim will continue to provide our readers with information that is important to them, whether it is about fashion, lifestyle, technology, music, movies and more."

"Warpaint," the band's first album in seven years, is set for release March 4. The blues-rock group, fronted by Chris Robinson, has released only one song from the disc, "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution."

What the hell? How can you make an "educated guess" on an album review?

The pictures may be kewl, but that magazine sucks so much it defies words. This confirms it.

I mean, this isn't some unknown band you're making your uninformed "guess" about. Since they gave it only 2&1/2 stars, I'd say this qualifies as libel.

Rocketboy
02-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Maxim had credibility?

JediTricks
02-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Maxim had credibility?
My first thought as well.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd bet the reviewer got his hands on bootleg pre-release versions of the tunes on the album and the editor didn't mind.

El Chuxter
02-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah, you're both right; you can't lose what you never had. (And I'll bet my life savings that no one at Maxim could tell me which famous blues artist recorded a song by that title.)

If he did get a bootleg copy, why wouldn't the magazine admit it? It certainly sounds more credible than saying that he guessed in his review. If I reviewed Revenge of the Sith in March 2005, what would sound better: that I got my hands on an illegal copy of it, or that I made up my review? Sure, I could get into some trouble for the first, but the second shoots your credibility straight to hell.

I think the Black Crowes should sue them. Everyone knows they don't make albums that deserve less than three stars.

Jargo
02-23-2008, 04:26 PM
it's always crap bands that take themselves too seriously who moan. at least they got a damn review. sheesh!

JediTricks
02-23-2008, 04:46 PM
If he did get a bootleg copy, why wouldn't the magazine admit it? It certainly sounds more credible than saying that he guessed in his review. If I reviewed Revenge of the Sith in March 2005, what would sound better: that I got my hands on an illegal copy of it, or that I made up my review? Sure, I could get into some trouble for the first, but the second shoots your credibility straight to hell.The key to that is "illegal", if you admit it, you are admitting to breaking the law, which only helps further the Black Crowes' lawsuit against them since it's reviewing unfinished works passing it off as a completed works review via unsavory means, and a negative review at that. Moreover, admitting to reviewing a bootleg probably will get you blackballed from ever getting a pre-release copy of ANYTHING again to review, making your magazine's reviews several months behind everybody else's.

Slicker
02-23-2008, 11:45 PM
I think I started a thread a bit ago about how carpy Maxim has become with regards to the size of the magazine. This is just another nail in the coffin.

General_Grievous
02-24-2008, 12:55 AM
it's always crap bands that take themselves too seriously who moan. at least they got a damn review. sheesh!

Yeah, but this happened before they released any advance CDs, so they have the right to moan in this case.

Blue2th
02-24-2008, 03:09 AM
It would have to suck, I mean isn't it Kate Hudson that made the Black Crowes sound so good? :rolleyes:

mabudonicus
02-24-2008, 06:18 AM
If Maxim gives the "currently in pre-production" sequel to Rockin Deuce a bad review anytime soon I'll go down to the office and give 'em a lesson in taking care, sir :D

:beard: Iso&Baws
Despite the decent pictures that "magazine" is a screaming pice of carp

Jedi_Kal-El
02-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Maxim had credibility?

That's what I was thinking as well.

stillakid
02-24-2008, 01:32 PM
you can't lose what you never had. (And I'll bet my life savings that no one at Maxim could tell me which famous blues artist recorded a song by that title.)

Muddy Waters for $200, Alex.

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 01:51 PM
You don't work for Maxim in their music department, though. :)

I figured that if anyone here "got" it, it'd be you. :thumbsup:

2-1B
02-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Also applies to "SSG posters" and "Indiana Jones 4" :thumbsup:

lol

bobafrett
02-24-2008, 01:55 PM
The Black Crowes Rock! Though I am just making an uneducataed guess on that seeing as I haven't heard the new album either. They may have gone country or pop.

JimJamBonds
02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I used to get Maxim for the articles.... geeze now what is the point of getting that magazine?