PDA

View Full Version : Swearing not allowed anywhere in the forums

JediTricks
02-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Recently there have been some users who have violated the no-swearing rules here on the forums, bypassing the autocensor through a number of methods. This is absolutely not allowed in any area of the forums, whether that be a thread or a signature or a user profile comment.

From this point on, there will be no further warnings about this, if you violate the rules on this matter, your account will be suspended for 24 hours or more.

darthbooger
12-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Well s*#$%@*#$@% ! It really irritates me when people have to be so g@#@#$#% ignorant. I hope this cursing doesnt #$%$^&% continue....

TheDarthVader
12-11-2009, 01:40 PM
#### ### ###! ########! I am going to drink a redbull now. Quoting Boondock Saints, "####, ###!!!!"

Old Fossil
12-11-2009, 08:09 PM
You are... some WILDANCRAZYGUYS!

morpheus282
12-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Are frell and yotz still allowed?

JediTricks
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Even dren is allowed. But not hezmana. :p

darthbooger
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Well...... crappamonkey....

El Chuxter
12-18-2009, 01:32 PM
You can say **** my ************** *****, you ***-******* ******* ******.

JediTricks
12-18-2009, 02:40 PM
You can say **** my ************** *****, you ***-******* ******* ******.
Hey, watch your slickersmother's mouth!

morpheus282
12-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Even dren is allowed. But not hezmana. :p

But you said it!

Next thing you'll be telling me we can't say smeg.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Just promise, not swear. Or avoid oaths of all kinds.

mtriv73
12-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Just promise, not swear. Or avoid oaths of all kinds.

what about avering?

pbarnard
12-26-2009, 09:57 PM
OH FUDGE!!!!

Except I didn't say fudge...

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Can there be a "Soaped" status for those who are temporarily banned for using bad words? :o

JimJamBonds
12-27-2009, 10:03 AM
This thread reminds me of the "swearing" that takes place in A Christmas Story. ;)

sith_killer_99
12-27-2009, 10:15 AM
What about use of the Battlestar Galactica "F" word?:D

Blue2th
12-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Can there be a "Soaped" status for those who are temporarily banned for using bad words? :o

My mom made me rinse my mouth out with soapy water once...or twice, or thrice.
Now I wonder why she went to all that trouble to prepare the mixture instead of putting a bar of soap in my mouth. :confused:

Shut-up was considered swearing. We had to say Hush-up. Yeah things like that and no elbows on the table. Little things like that you'd get a slap, but punishment from the mom was better than the terror of the belt from dad for major infractions like real cuss words. :eek:

RoonStones
12-27-2009, 11:35 AM
My mom made me rinse my mouth out with soapy water once...or twice, or thrice.

Ralphie as Adult (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/name/nm0791789/): [narrating] Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Life Buoy, on the other hand...
Ralphie (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/name/nm0082526/): YECCHH! lol

Can we say ornery words like "dagnabbit" or "consarnit"?:D

JimJamBonds
12-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Or what about as Colonel Harry T. Potter would say from time to time "Horse hockey!" Or 'English swearing' such as using the word 'bloody' ie. "I had a bloody good time last night."

JediTricks
12-27-2009, 06:24 PM
I like it. Lifebuoy? Yuck!

What about use of the Battlestar Galactica "F" word?:D"Frak you, you motherfrakkker!" It's only ok if you promise to read it in Michael "Col. Saul Tigh" Hogan's Canadian space accent. :p

Can we say ornery words like "dagnabbit" or "consarnit"?:DThat's my bag already!

Or what about as Colonel Harry T. Potter would say from time to time "Horse hockey!"Yeah, that's another one I already use like the previous.

Or 'English swearing' such as using the word 'bloody' ie. "I had a bloody good time last night."This actually we're on thin ice over. We're allowing "arse" but I'm trying to be cautious here, so generally I'd prefer you didn't, but I'm not ready to say it's a rule yet.

morpheus282
12-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Or 'English swearing' such as using the word 'bloody' ie. "I had a bloody good time last night."

This actually we're on thin ice over. We're allowing "arse" but I'm trying to be cautious here, so generally I'd prefer you didn't, but I'm not ready to say it's a rule yet.

So 'arse' is ok but 'bloody' is right out? Rather odd, that is. I'm assuming by this same logic that Peggy Bundy's maiden name is off limits as well?

JediTricks
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Right. It's come up in the past and been dodgy, it's complicated.

elvandrik
12-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Meh, I think its nonsense, personally. Regualting language is lame and kindergarten-esque. The only reason people use profanity is because its social taboo. If people made less of a big deal about it, people would use it less.

You should just make a thread for people who curse. That would be awesome! That way, people have a place to go if they want to use adult language, which won't hurt anyone. I think banning language is censorship. Seriously, if you are going to regulate language then you should regulate all mention of religion and politics as well. Sounds retarded? Yeah, that's exactly my point.

You can't enforce a no-profanity policy unless you publish a list of banned words. Then people will argue over the words and it just goes on forever. We're making a big deal over nothing.

morpheus282
12-28-2009, 07:53 PM
You can't enforce a no-profanity policy unless you publish a list of banned words.

That's a great idea! Then we can just refer to them by number when we feel like cursing!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Krusty the Klown already beat you to the punch[line] on that idea.

Old Fossil
12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Meh, I think its nonsense, personally. Regualting language is lame and kindergarten-esque. The only reason people use profanity is because its social taboo. If people made less of a big deal about it, people would use it less.

You should just make a thread for people who curse. That would be awesome! That way, people have a place to go if they want to use adult language, which won't hurt anyone. I think banning language is censorship. Seriously, if you are going to regulate language then you should regulate all mention of religion and politics as well. Sounds retarded? Yeah, that's exactly my point.

You can't enforce a no-profanity policy unless you publish a list of banned words. Then people will argue over the words and it just goes on forever. We're making a big deal over nothing.

You sound like someone who's not a parent. This is a site for kids, and those who appreciate and collect toys and collectibles, and those who like to talk about associated aspects of popular culture. With that in mind, Steve is perfectly justified in prohibiting swearing here. As a parent myself, I don't want my child exposed to the foul language of strangers, if it is within my control.

If you feel the need to express yourself with that kind of language, there is at least one other forum where swearing is permitted, at bantha skull. You might feel more comfortable there.

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 04:22 PM

You can't enforce a no-profanity policy unless you publish a list of banned words. Then people will argue over the words and it just goes on forever. We're making a big deal over nothing.Of course it's censorship, it's the "auto censor" doing most of the work no less. And we do regulate discussion on religion and politics. This is a private, all-ages site about toys, there are standards regarding this sort of thing, we can get into trouble with parents groups. Swearing puts the site and forums at risk for minimal gains.

elvandrik
12-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Parent groups? Are they gonna put us on some blacklist? Shouldn't they be protesting Miley Cyrus dancing on a stripper pole in daisy dukes instead of trolling the forums at Sirsteves for the F bomb?

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Some of these parental groups are pretty powerful, they can get sponsors to drop the site, get hosts to take sites offline, get injunctions, they can go pretty extreme if they are mad enough about something. There's a lot going on with this sort of thing. The PMRC in the '80s was merely a parents group, despite them getting senate hearings and nearly taking down the RIAA. I can't speak to why they fight the battles they do, I am just charged with making sure our forums stay running as smoothly as possible for as many folks as possible.

2-1B
12-29-2009, 09:51 PM
the Miley stripper pole thing was way overblown, it wasn't that big a deal. :rolleyes:

it was also pretty hot. :thumbsup:

morpheus282
12-29-2009, 10:02 PM
the Miley stripper pole thing was way overblown, it wasn't that big a deal. :rolleyes:

Between the pole, the magazine cover, and the content of her show, she got the Disney channels added to the parental block list at my house.

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks for that, Caes. Always the helpful additions from you. :p

El Chuxter
02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
No one told the late King Hamlet about this rule. He tried to get his son to swear to avenge his death over in "Hasbro Modern Retired" and got banned.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Someone here also got the ban stick due to a misplaced spacebar typing, when he meant to say "menswear."

masterväder
02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
i really like that this website has no swearin im not aloud to got to websites with rude things my parents say things like "is not cool to swear u r onlky eight" and i tel them that i is n adult and is aloud to read wht i wnat lolololol