PDA

View Full Version : Citizen 3 packs

JON9000
02-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Would you be into 3 packs of citizens from different planets? For example, three random people from Mos Eisley, Cloud City, etc.?

yeas and nays are welcome.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-23-2008, 08:18 PM
It would depend, but I'll throw out a possible yea.

Kidhuman
02-23-2008, 08:20 PM
It depends on what characters are in them. I would be interested in something like

Sgt Doallyn
Random Outlander Patron
Queen Jamilla

El Chuxter
02-23-2008, 08:27 PM
I think themes would be better than three random characters, but, as long as they stay interesting, I'd be in.

It could be a great way to get folks like Jira and Nyat Agira.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-23-2008, 09:37 PM
I'd have to say yeah, because this would be a great way to get characters out there that might not be able to otherwise see the light of day in action figure form that is...

Though i do also think the packs should follow a theme and to have appeal to the masses include at least one "Hero" type characters to sell to the masses. If they only put in back ground characters then kiddies are going to go right by these...

If they done something like this as an online exclusive...then that would go well i'm sure but i'm not sure the tooling cost would make this a possiable idea...even though i would love to see something like this.

TeeEye7
02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
I think this is a good idea, Jon.

I think if Hasbro offered a three-pack with a theme, but kept them generic (sorry, Chux), then you would have the opportunity to customize the figs, expanding beyond the three. This would allow for a type of "army building" which I think diorama builders would appreciate.

I do agree with Chux that Hasbro needs to consider offering more of the minor characters.

Just MHO.

joe-da
02-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes, yes, yes! (never happen, but I can hope...)

Slicker
02-23-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm gonna say "nay". These would only cater to diorama builders, IMO. It just seems that a kid walking down the toy aisle wouldn't say to his mom "mommy! Mommy! Can have this 3 pack of random arsed SW characters?!?!"

Phantom-like Menace
02-24-2008, 12:04 AM
In El Chuxter's thread about being in charge of what figures Hasbro makes, I listed several civilian figures for different species, so I agree this would be cool, even if the aim were more toward figures that appeared in the movie.

bigbarada
02-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Did Hasbro already do this with the Cantina Aliens, Skiff Guards, and Rebel Pilots 3-packs in 1998-1999? That's essentially what we're asking for here right?

Hasbro's already said that they would only offer multipacks of figures that were linked in some way in the films. Meaning that we would never get a Cantina Alien, a Bespin Civilian and an Outlander patron in one multipack. But we could conceivably get a Cantina multipack, a Bespin multipack and an Outlander multipack. Which would be preferable, because if I'm building a diorama of the Cantina, but am not interested in making an Outlander diorama, then I would only have to buy the multipack that interests me and not be forced to buy figures I don't want.

TeeEye7
02-24-2008, 02:12 AM
I think this is exactly what Jon means, BigB. At least that's the meaning I took.

I'm with you in that I wouldn't want a three pack with an ANH figure mixed with a AOTC figure, then an Ice Cream Maker Guy thrown in "just because". I think it would work if the three-packs concentrated on the same movie of origin. I don't think it's necessary to go to the trouble of making the packaging like the Cinema Scenes, however (and the Cinema Scenes have always been some of my favorites in my collection....mini dioramas to me). Just card 'em and called it good IMO.

Jargo
02-24-2008, 07:06 AM
this stuff only works if you have a recognisable character in the mix.

In a way though I think a set of two figures of the same species would be cooler. it crosses the entire saga and gets background and major characters in the same spotlight would mean maybe seeing stuff like the Mon Cal B-wing pilot thrown in with a reworked Admiral Ackbar for example. name it something like the galaxy collection. bit of blurb on the packaging about the homeworld of the characters. twin packs seem to do ok while three packs sit and gather dust. maybe it's the fact that three packs tend to be that bit more expensive.

I'm sure hasbro have run through these ideas already.

jjreason
02-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Hmmm. Entertainment Earth Exclusives might work - like the Astromech sets.

I'd personally like a Yavin 4 set with 3 various rebels - technicians, etc.

mtriv73
02-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Only if they did a cantina 3-pack and put in 2 random ladies with braided hair as 2 of the figures. I'd even buy that one if it had another lousy Darth Vader packed in (not that he was ever in the cantina, he just seems to get packed into everything.)

Jaff
02-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Yes x 20. I wouldn't just want one of these packs, I would want any and every one made as long as the figs were in the movie.

Old Fossil
02-24-2008, 09:09 AM
I'd buy them if they were similar to this:

Tatooine: orange R5, moisture farmer (new sculpt), Ishi Tib citizen of Mos Eisley (new sculpt)

Bespin: Ugnaught (new sculpt), Willrow Hood, Bespin Guard (new sculpt/ethnicity)

I take the term "citizen" to mean the usual occupants of a city/township, including police but not necessarily political/military forces.

jedi master sal
02-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Emphatic yes!

And I wouldn't want a main character in these. For one that would just p*ss people off to no end to be forced to buy a 3-pack of figs just for two of them.

Tatooine locations (Cantina; Mos Espa; Mos Eisley-not cantina related; Pod race arena; Jabba's Palace)
Bespin-(Bespin security force; Ugnauts; citizens (yes ICMG)
Coruscant-(Outlander club-this can be mined for plenty of characters; spaceport-though we didn't see many specfic characters here; Dex's Diner)
Naboo-(Queen's palace; Theed citizens; Otoh Gunga)
Those are all good "civilian" locations.

These:
Yavin-Hangar; war room
Hoth-Hangar; war room
Kamino-kid clone traning center; young adult traning center (and/or cafeteria); armory (think where the clones picked up their armor-not weaponry)
would still be considered military locations and better for battle packs or some other form of multi-pack.

stillakid
02-24-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't think a three-pack is a good idea. Inevitably, two of them will hook up and the other will become a depressed third-wheel. It just wouldn't be fair to place action figures into a situation like that. :sad:

JON9000
02-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Did Hasbro already do this with the Cantina Aliens, Skiff Guards, and Rebel Pilots 3-packs in 1998-1999? That's essentially what we're asking for here right?

No, I'm talking about guys like Willrow Hood, the guy who walks in front of the Landspeeder in Mos Eisley, or people in the podrace hanger or in the stands. Just pure background people. I would say the closest we've come is the Lucas family pack.

Inidentally, these guys are fairly easy to customize. I just don't feel like going through the trouble!

Slicker
02-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd have to agree with BigB. Those 3 packs were essentially background characters. Much like Watto's Box was full of background characters (obviously minus Watto...and his box...)

El Chuxter
02-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Mos Espa could contain Jira, Weazel, and Erdan. Three really cool-looking, recognizable figures we probably wouldn't get otherwise, in one handy-dandy package! :thumbsup:

JON9000
02-24-2008, 01:54 PM
I'd have to agree with BigB. Those 3 packs were essentially background characters. Much like Watto's Box was full of background characters (obviously minus Watto...and his box...)

Yeah, we've already gotten that sort of thing, and I am fine with it if they continue to make them. That's why in the present thread I'm talking about really nondescript people like those who stop in the hallway to hear Lando when he gives the evacuation order, or your average moisture farmer walking around Mos Eisley.

DarkJedi5
02-24-2008, 06:19 PM
There seems to be two ideas kicked around right now, but they both sound good and I'd be down for either of them if they ever got made. They would have to be scene related (i.e. all Cloud city or all Mos Espa) and it seems the three packs would be a good way to fill in some holes by doing simple head swaps and redecoing figures, I just think they would have to stick to more generic character. As far as the two packs go I really like the idea of paring a main character (like the Ackbar resculpt) with a Mon Cal civilian or something else which would allow us to get the resculpts we could use (Ponda Boba, Yak Face, or any of the others that could stand to be redone) and then something that should be a simple head swap and slight repaint and you've got two figures and it could slip into the Order 66 format they are already using.

dindae
02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I would definately go for this but I'm down for anything that gets me a figure that hasn't been made before. These would be ideal because I wouldn't have to buy figures I already have. However I really don't see them doing a pack where the most reconizeable character is Jira. The exception being the Cantina & Jabba's Palace since they know almost every collection has these scenes set up.

Cane_Adiss
02-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Mos Espa could contain Jira, Weazel, and Erdan. Three really cool-looking, recognizable figures we probably wouldn't get otherwise, in one handy-dandy package! :thumbsup:

I like that idea. How bout a "Ladies of the Cantina" pack? It could include:

Leesub Sirln
Swilla Corey
Dice Ibegon

How bout a "Streets of Mos Eisely" pack with:

Kal'Falnl Cndros
Wioslea
Mosep Binneed

Or a Bespin Security pack:

Utris M'toc
Black Bespin Guard
Ugloste (chief Ugnaut)

Even though most of these are high on my personal wish list, admitably many of these characters I've listed would be tough sells on their own basic cards IMO, except maybe the Bespin guys. I think they would do best in either a comic-pack style two pack format or in 3 pack "battle packs" like the Evolutions sets.