PDA

View Full Version : Cloud City is run by a bunch of Scabs!

Exhaust Port
02-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Well not really Scabs as there wasn't a picket line that we know of.

I watched ESB last night and caught a bit of dialog that has escaped me before. When Han and crew first get to Cloud City Lando explains that they are small enough not to get noticed by the Empire and that they aren't a member of the Miners Guild as they are small enough to not be noticed by them either. As he puts it, "It has it's advantages".

Sounds like Lando likes his workers to be non-Union which permits him to operate without the confines of employee workgroup contracts. Perhaps this led to the Empire being able to walk right in and give Lando an offer he couldn't refuse. With an employee group that wasn't very unified and trying to operate without Guild influence they were quick to adopt what ever offer the Empire gave them in an attempt to keep some sort of Quality of Life. Then when the deal changed they had little recourse and had to take what was given. If they didn't they would be getting a lot more attention from the Empire as well as new attention from the Miner's Guild.

When I heard Lando's comments it put a lot of what happens on Cloud City into perspective. A lot of familiarities between what unfolds there and what we see in Union/non-Union labor disputes.

JediTricks
02-25-2008, 09:30 PM
The ugnaughts started out neither mutated nor short.

decadentdave
02-25-2008, 09:39 PM
But they make some damn good Ice Cream. :thumbsup:

stillakid
02-25-2008, 09:56 PM
A lot of familiarities between what unfolds there and what we see in Union/non-Union labor disputes.

Perhaps they were just holding out for additional holonet revenue.

TeeEye7
02-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Quint needed a bigger boat;
Cloud City needed better shop stewards.

JimJamBonds
02-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Sounds like Lando likes his workers to be non-Union which permits him to operate without the confines of employee workgroup contracts. Perhaps this led to the Empire being able to walk right in and give Lando an offer he couldn't refuse.

I'd say it had more to do with them being the Empire and being able to do what they wanted, if Lando didn't play along he was dead.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-27-2008, 08:09 PM
I'd say it had more to do with them being the Empire and being able to do what they wanted, if Lando didn't play along he was dead.

I can see the point to that. Also if Lando had various illegal ventures going on(and who's to say he didn't, he's Lando for crying out loud), then he'd want the low profile that being "small time" would afford him.

Exhaust Port
03-01-2008, 09:16 PM

But they needed Lando in order for the plan to work. The Empire couldn't just kill him and any other employee off and be able to maintain the status quo on Cloud City. Thing would have been appeared clearly wrong when Han and crew showed up if Cloud Cities top brass were gone and a bunch of no name folks were supposedly running the show.

Beast
03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
The Empire could have put an Imperial Officer in black face and tried to pass him off as Lando. :D

TeeEye7
03-01-2008, 10:20 PM
The Empire could have put an Imperial Officer in black face and tried to pass him off as Lando. :D

Yeah! Ted Danson!