PDA

View Full Version : Who is financing the Rebellion?

Exhaust Port
02-25-2008, 08:28 PM
The Rebels sure do have a lot of fancy gear. Even rebels need to be paid so where is all this money coming from. They set up shop on Hoth with a big fancy shield generator strong enough to protect them from Star Destroyer bombardment as well as an Ion Cannon big enough to bring down a SD. Sure they haves some old Y-Wings but those X-Wings look pretty state of the art. Someone has to be paying for the R&D as well as manufacturing of these things. Some of the stuff could be a part of a civilizations standard space fleet but the logistics of running this type of war would be crazy and very, very expensive.

The Empire probably is just pillaging each planet it comes across for materials and $$ just like the Nazi's did as they rolled across Europe. Do we really ever know who the big players are backing the Rebellion? What would they want as collaterial for there financial support? The US picked up a few strategic islands in the Pacific for example.

JimJamBonds
02-25-2008, 08:34 PM
The gov't/people of Aldaraan (sp) probably helped out... I'd bet Naboo as well.

General_Grievous
02-25-2008, 08:50 PM
I think there was a lot of salvaging of old abandoned Republic ships like the ARC fighter. I mean, they had to have started out from scratch, and what better way to do that by reusing old vehicles?

JediTricks
02-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Leia was one of the chief financial backers since she had access to all of Alderaan's money, being its surviving royal family member. If their government was centralized through the Empire in some way, the finances would have been on Coruscant. But please, let's have Lucas go back and add scenes about finances to scare off any more of the audience who grew bored with uncinematic tales of senatorial misconduct. :p

Exhaust Port
02-25-2008, 09:37 PM
That was Episode 1. Blah

The most effective way to shut down the rebellion would be to hit their supply chain. We aren't given an indication that the Empire is going after the Rebellion 100%. The first movie the Empire was the one being attacked. The second movie was more of Vader hunting down Luke so he was tracking the Rebels. The third movie was the Rebellion attacking the Empire again. Perhaps the Empire didn't see the Rebellion as that much of a threat or perhaps it's similar to our battle with the insurgence in Iraq. We fight them but we can't really go in and obliterate their supply change (food, water, roads, airports, etc.) as it would decimate the local civilian population. The Empire would need to keep the civilians around to help keep the Empire working and the war machine supported.

Would Leia's financial support be obliterated with her home planet? You don't carry much weight when you are the Princess of an asteroid field.

stillakid
02-25-2008, 09:57 PM
SuperLotto.

TeeEye7
02-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Perhaps the Empire didn't see the Rebellion as that much of a threat...

ROTJ: While on board the "armed and fully operational battle station", the Emperor refers to the rebellion as being "insignificant" while pushing Luke's buttons. I think your POV is correct, EP.

Exhaust Port
02-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I forgot about that comment. Good memory.

Slicker
02-26-2008, 01:28 AM
I figured it was from people sympathetic to the cause. Kinda how Osama finances Al-Queda.

JON9000
02-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Hussein al Ackbar

stillakid
02-26-2008, 10:21 AM
I figured it was from people sympathetic to the cause. Kinda how Osama finances Al-Queda.

and how the US finances Israel.

JediTricks
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
and how Slicker's mom finances her crack habit.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM

I thought Chux was sending her weekly checks for that stuff JT?

General_Grievous
02-26-2008, 09:15 PM

She's moved on to meth now, JT. Get with the times. :o

Maradona
02-26-2008, 09:25 PM
In my naivete, I never thought of the Rebels as terrorists, but under the circumstances, the Empire certainly must have painted them as such.

EU notwithstanding, it wouldn't surprise me if the Rebels were getting money from wherever they could, even the underworld. The whole Jabba-Han Solo-dropping spice shipments seems indicative that crime was difficult in an Imperially controlled galaxy.

Blue2th
02-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Major steak holders.

stillakid
02-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Major steak holders.

You mean cows or Banthas?

Blue2th
02-26-2008, 10:47 PM
You mean cows or Banthas?

Meat, just meat.

bigbarada
02-27-2008, 02:31 AM
They sell candy bars door to door.

El Chuxter
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm financing the Rebellion.

Just don't tell Palpy.

I figured they just got donations (cash, goods, and service) from sympathizers. When you think about it, it is a little odd that they waste money on medals.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-27-2008, 02:52 PM
I heard they found those medals in a dumpster Chux. There were only two at that which is why Chewie didn't get one.