PDA

View Full Version : Proliferation of resculpts so soon?

JEDIpartner
02-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Well... as a very vocal member of these forums, I am both happy and unhappy with the direction the new figures have taken. While I am still crying "foul" at the lack of articulation (even BASIC articulation), I have something else to gripe about.

I can't believe that we are already being served numerous sculpts of the same character so soon into the line. Fistly, we have the preview versions of Zam and Jango. Secondly we have the "official" releases of the same figures with slightly different features. Why didn't the initial Zam come with a removable veil feature? Why does the second one have articulted knees? Why does the second Jango have the removable helmet and all the extra stuff? It really seems like a great way to make money off of the blindly unsuspecting or the completists. I remember when ONE Luke Skywalker in each outfit was enough... now we are plauged with variations on a theme. Variations that SHOULD have been incorporated into ONE figure.

Sadly, I gaze upon the forums and see that it really doesn't matter what I say as people are so ready to scoop up every last version of Zam Wesell while griping about the umpteen millionth resculpt of Han and Chewie. Well, folks... it's the same thing, but within a shorter period of time. Glad we're all so willing to buy into it.

By the way... thanks Hasbro. Your pockets will be filled soon enough.

InsaneJediGirl
02-13-2002, 01:11 PM
Hey JEDIpartnr :D I'm gonna have to agree with you.I was thinking about getting the preview figures until you mentioned
the features they dont have.

Yes,It is true that people complain about the Han/Chewie/Vader
resculpts but dont seem to care about the AOTC ones being
resculpts as well.Why?They are all new and 1 or 2 resculpts
doesn't seem to effect some collectors yet.However,lets
say...oh,six months from now,more resculpts are poured into
the market.Thats when people start complaining,when it isnt
new.

Bottom line : Some people dont care because the figs are new.
Wait until the pegs are clogged with them though,then they
start complaining:rolleyes:

Hasbro,Stop the resculpts!The movie isnt even out yet,and how many different Jangos can you make?!?!

El Chuxter
02-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Kinda funny that it took us over two years to get Plo Koon and Sassy Tiin from E1, but we're getting E2 Plo and Sassy right off the bat.

If you're gonna resculpt Jedis, make a new Yoda and Ki-Adi Mundi! Although it's still true that Ki-Adi is one of the best E1 figures, he's such an ultra-funky bad-butt that I'd rather have a second one of him than another Plo already.

Or how about Depa Billaba, Evan Piell, Yaddle, or Yarael POOF. Heck, I'd even buy a Goatboy Rancisis if you made one, just to round out the set!

InsaneJediGirl
02-13-2002, 01:27 PM
Orginally Posted by El Chuxter
Or how about Depa Billaba, Evan Piell, Yaddle, or Yarael POOF. Heck, I'd even buy a Goatboy Rancisis if you made one, just to round out the set!

I would love to see the rest of the Jedi Council finished.Its
kinda werid barely having half of them.A Depa figure
would be great,we need more girl Jedi :D :D :D :D

Jargo
02-13-2002, 02:32 PM
Y'know, I'm not a natalie Portman fan and I'm not particularly a fan of Padme either, but she has a proliferation of costumes in this new movie that we've all seen in the trailers. Why only one Padme figure and in two sculpts? How about ditching a few jango figures for more senators and Padme figures? Where's the Kaminoans and Dexter jettster? Where's the nightclub patrons and Coruscant citizens? I don't want to spoil the initial run by having no core characters but for Pity's sake this selection is a little dull. nice to get the jedi and all but how many in the first waves? And you'll probably resculpt them all anyway in a few months. There's some nice figures in the selections I'm not going to dismiss everything outright here. The new Palpatine and the Orn Free Taa have got me really excited, The Geonosians and the nexu and Massif are truly fine I'm ok with the two geonosian figures because they at least are significantly different - one with wings one without. The royal guard is a welcome sight after so long with my salt shaker POTF version. Captain Typho is a great likeness. But two versions of the same Zam Wessel that are essentialy the same figure and the exact same pose - one with and one without articulation. What's with that? The preview clonetrooper and the clonetrooper captain are the same figure sculpt, it's only the horrid lurid pink paint on the captain that differentiates them. That's a sick rip off ploy you keep pulling on us. Why doesn't the clonetrooper have the commtech stormtrooper articulation you cheapskates! releasing the same bad sculpt twice in the same quarter is just horrific.
I daresay I'll end up buying figures like Luminara Unduli just for the detail but I won't buy on the initial release, I'll wait and buy online at the cheapest price I can find. Same with all the other weirdly posed figures. I'll only buy them when they reach clearance. Instead i'll concentrate on getting the decent figures with standard poses and the least amount of stupid gimmicks and pack-ins. Hasbro you won't be catching the windfall from my wallet with these new figures. I'm afraid my new love LEGO has got that right now. It was nice while it lasted during the cool POTJ period but this trend of resculpting before you've even released one scupt is going to have to stop if you want to keep us buying. If it continues then I feel that the disgruntled consumers will finally turn their backs on you. And let's face it, you'll have deserved it if they do.

Lord Tenebrous
02-13-2002, 03:14 PM
I would love to see the rest of the Jedi Council finished.Its
kinda werid barely having half of them

Eeth was the 7th made. But I still want Evan, Oppo, Yarael, Depa, and Yaddle. The thing that irks me is that AOTC Plo and Saesee have pretty much the same heads as the POTJ versions, and the Saesee one wasn't accurate to begin with.

If you're going to still charge $6 for micro-figures, then make it that you can issue one that can do everything - elbow, wrist, and knee articulation, hands that can change grip size, etc, and add the accessories needed to change scenes. This will reduce resculpts, and allow your designers to tackle new challenges.

C'mon, you can't hide the fact that stacks of Hasbro toys populate clearance aisles everywhere. You can change this in three easy steps:

1) Reduce the amount of "same character, different feature" offerings.

2) Become price-competitive.

3) Respect your customers.

droidekas2
02-13-2002, 03:48 PM
I totally agree with you Emperor Jargo.
I have been collecting Star Wars toys for 25 years now and guess how many of these new AOTC figures I'm going to pick up, 8. Most of which I will wait until they are marked down. Orn Free Ta I will definitely get right away. Others, like the Clone Trooper, I will wait for the umpteenth resculpt that comes out like the super articulated commtech stormtrooper and I will wait for the static pose resculpt of these crazy standing Jedis. Why all the different sculpts already of Jango Fett.
I too am growing more and more disgruntled.
I have 25 years worth of action figures on the shelves, lined up, and now this year the figures start looking like they are having seizures.
Continuity!

sith_killer_99
02-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Well, far be it from me to defend Hasbro. But I did want to point out a couple of things.

The "Preview Figures" are just that PREVIEWS of the upcoming film. By giving us a Jango Fett without removable helmet and a Zam without removable veil the figures manage to keep a hint of secrecy and suspense. At least that is probably the way Hasbro sees it. Besides, look at what happened with the EP1 Mace Windu. Many collectors feel that the EP1 Mace preview figure was better than the regular EP1 Chocolate Dipped Mace. Perhaps Hasbro simply wishes to avoid that fiasco again, by putting out a better product later rather than sooner.

With all of that said...Hasbro what the heck are you thinking? At least when you put out the Mace Windu figure for the regular EP1 line it was like 6 months later!!!

As for resculpts, I have no objections, as long as there is a GOOD reason behind it, like:

We have a new technique that will give us more detail, accuracy, scale, etc.

or

We have a new technique that allows us to do cool things like make holsters with removable guns and lightsabers with removable blades. Or add cool new features like Darth Vader can now have a removable helmet and a removable hand.

or

We have a new technique that will allow us to give this figure 12 points of articulation!

Then, I'm all for it. In fact, I applaud it! I have given countless praise, as have others, to the CommTech Stormtrooper, Removable Helmet Vader, New Amanaman, etc.

We DO in fact give credit where credit is due.

However, I am with many others here, when I say that I will not mindlessly scoop up every piece of junk that you guys crank out come April! I will buy what I like and wait 'til the rest goes on clearance. Eventually I will probably have every figure. But I will not pay more than $2.00 for a figure I don't particularly like.

Some may say that I'm a fool for even buying those figures that I don't like. But I look at it like this. If Hasbro cranks out 20 figures in the new line that I don't like, and I buy them later for $2.00 each, I just spent $40.00 to complete my collection. In the mean time, the money I save (say $4.00 per figure...or $80.00) can go to other things, like my vintage collection.

Given my completist nature, my annual income, and my love for Star Wars, that's a good deal. In addition, Hasbro gets the point that I, as a collector will not shell out $6.00+ for junk.:crazed:

Just my opinion.;)

Beast
02-16-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The preview clonetrooper and the clonetrooper captain are the same figure sculpt, it's only the horrid lurid pink paint on the captain that differentiates them. That's a sick rip off ploy you keep pulling on us. Why doesn't the clonetrooper have the commtech stormtrooper articulation you cheapskates! releasing the same bad sculpt twice in the same quarter is just horrific.
Might wanna look closer at the Clonetrooper and the Clonetrooper commander. They are not the same sculpt, and the commander figure has numerous points of articulation over the preview Clonetrooper. The Commander figure has articulation at the knees, ball jointed hips, looks like ball jointed shoulders, and elbow articulation, and lastly head articulation. Quite a bit different then the preview version.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
02-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Your right about all the resculpts in the initial assortments. I plan on getting the best looking one, and then avoiding all the others. I still don't like most of the figures from collection 1, but I have yet to see a sculpt of Anakin, Padme, or Obi-Wan that I like.

I actually like the preview Jango the best so far. Mostly because the Deluxe one looks ridiculous with that huge pack, and I don't like the face underneath the helmet. But 3 Jangos in the span of 2 months is ridiculous. We didn't get resculpts of E1 characters until that second wave with Naboo versions of Obi, Qui, etc.

But the fact is Hasbro is a company out to make money. Star Wars is one line of many that they have. We have gotten many great figures from the new lines since 95'. We've also gotten many not-so-great figures as well. Most people seem to like the new figures, some sitll don't. As long as people are happy with the new figures, and are willing to buy them, Hasbro has done their job.

sith_killer_99
02-16-2002, 07:17 PM
I just thought about something.

Since '95 Hasbro has produced 3 versions of Boba Fett:

POTF2 Boba Fett (OC, GC, FF...all the same)
Deluxe Boba Fett
Special Edition 300th Boba Fett

Yet, here in the span in 2 months we will see 3 versions of Jango Fett.

My questions is this? How long has anyone seen a Boba Fett action figure sit on the pegs? He's one of the most popular figures in the Star Wars line. Maybe Hasbro is thinking they have a sure thing with Jango. And, they are trying to capitalize early. I can't really blame them for that.

However, from a collectors stand point it sucks.:cry:

Beast
02-16-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
I just thought about something.
Since '95 Hasbro has produced 3 versions of Boba Fett:
POTF2 Boba Fett (OC, GC, FF...all the same)
Deluxe Boba Fett
Special Edition 300th Boba Fett
Yet, here in the span in 2 months we will see 3 versions of Jango Fett.
My questions is this? How long has anyone seen a Boba Fett action figure sit on the pegs? He's one of the most popular figures in the Star Wars line. Maybe Hasbro is thinking they have a sure thing with Jango. And, they are trying to capitalize early. I can't really blame them for that.
However, from a collectors stand point it sucks.:cry:

You forgot about the POTF2 Boba Fett vs. IG-88. But your correct, they are capitolizing on Jango. But this is a movie year, and unlike Maul in TPM, Jango sees alot of action in AOTC's. The preview Jango is good for some scenes, the removable helmet version is great for others, the deluxe Jango is pretty lackluster, other then the removable upper armor. Then we have sometime between April 23rd and the end of the year, one more version. The Geonosin Arena version with his other different jetpack and flamethrower. As well as another extra special figure feature. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
02-16-2002, 10:38 PM
Argh, I can't believe I forgot the SOTE 2-pack.

I think your right about Jango in EP2. Besides he's a much cooler character than ummm Christopher Lee (trying to remain spiler free here;) )

And I do look forward to a "Geonosin Arens" version.;) ;)

sith_killer_99
02-16-2002, 10:39 PM
Ooops, that's SPOILER free.

*note to self...PROOF READ*