PDA

View Full Version : Yay - Earthquake!!!!!!!!!

Jargo
02-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Just had an earth quakey tremour thingy about half an hour ago. the house was shaking and my desk was bouncin a beat around the floor. could feel the walls moving in a sort of washing machine on spin cycle kinda way.
glad to say it wasn't local to us and so far there's no news of anything untoward. but it looks like being centre of the uk as the epicentre and probably low on the scale. they felt it in london though. was kinda scarey and kinda exciting at the same time. a whole new experience.
slept through the last earthquake we had here. and the one before that.

WOOOOOOOO!!!!:thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Interesting. Been through a few in Cali. Event felt a few of the good ones from Cali in Vegas. Didn't know you guys got them all that much if at all. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
02-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I remember the time Slicker's Mom fell down the stairs.
We're still rebuilding the city.

Jargo
02-26-2008, 07:35 PM
no we hardly ever get them this one was apparently 4.7 on the richter scale. one of the bigger we've had. no doubt some boffins somewhere will blame it on melting ice caps and the plight of rainbow trout in afghanistan or some stoopid science.

apparently there was a 2.8 in North Cali today as well..

Jedi_Kal-El
02-26-2008, 07:35 PM
I remember the time Slicker's Mom fell down the stairs.
We're still rebuilding the city.

Is that what that was? All this time I thought a bomb went off.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I've been through more earthquakes, big ones, in Washington state than I have been here in So. Cal. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself ;)

When I lived on Bainbridge Island, we had one where the epicenter was located right out in the channel about 3 football fields length away. That was something else!!

It is frightening and exhilarating at the same time :thumbsup:

Jargo
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
The epicentre was in Hull. famous for - fish. fishing. the smell of stale fish. and not much else. kinda the opposite side of the country to me.130 miles away. east coast. across from norway. ish. . .

stillakid
02-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I was awake and working in a camera truck during the Sylmar quake of '94. 6.7 they claimed. The quake was scary enough, but the aftershocks that hit unexpectedly for days on end really kept everyone tense.

I do believe we're due for another soon. That plus the current subprime thing should knock home prices back into the realistic zone. Got my fingers crossed!

Jargo
02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
ours could have been another gentle slide into the atlantic basin. the UK is sitting right on the edge of the continental shelf and slowly slowly sinking. who knows what caverns and fissures there are beneath us. our country has been mined to death for coal so it wouldn't surprise me if all those old shafts and caverns just collapsed or filled up with water or something. we had huge amounts of rain last summer. resovoirs are bursting and rivers flooding again and again. with us just being a lump of rock perched on the cliff edge can't be long before bits drop off and bits sink.

y'know something i always wondered, people who live on river flood plains, after the hundredth time of being flooded out, why do they still go back and carry on knowing how risky it is? same with people who live on the side of volcanoes and known landslide areas. or valleys prone to avalanches. is that brave or just dumb?

Jedi_Kal-El
02-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Well. If you ever sink, I'll toss you a lifeline MDP.

Jargo
02-26-2008, 08:13 PM
cool. i can't swim.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
In that case, I'll toss two of them. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
So......MDP felt the earth move, eh? :lipsrsealed: :smoker:

Jargo
02-26-2008, 08:50 PM
hahaha me and half the country TI. I want another one now coz it was weirdly cool.

Edit: apparently the BBC are reporting our quake at 5.1 while SKY news says 5.3. gotta love the media balloon blowers.

EDIT again: JKE, it's ok, I'll whistle for patrick Duffy to come save me.

Kidhuman
02-26-2008, 09:12 PM
I've been through more earthquakes, big ones, in Washington state than I have been here in So. Cal. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself ;)

You havent lived until you were at Mt St Helens when it was about to blow, oh wait, youve done that also

Blue2th
02-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Everytime there's a major quake in California, there is a major influx of people moving to Albuquerque.

Either that or they took a wrong toin.

stillakid
02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Everytime there's a major quake in California, there is a major influx of people moving to Albuquerque.

That's all folks!!!

El Chuxter
02-27-2008, 03:29 PM
I still can't get used to earthquakes. They freak me out.

Of course, Mrs Chux, having been raised in SoCal, can't get used to thunderstorms, which don't bother me in the slightest.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM

Wow. So that's where the ones that don't move to Vegas go.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
I still can't get used to earthquakes. They freak me out.

Of course, Mrs Chux, having been raised in SoCal, can't get used to thunderstorms, which don't bother me in the slightest.

I don't mind the bad T-Storms since moving to Indiana. I just freak out at when the Tornado sirens start blowing.

Jargo
02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Eerie Indiana. I loved that show.

I can confirm that our earthquake was in fact a 5.2 on the richter. and it wasn't in Hull it was in Lincolnshire (robin hood country 30 miles south of hull) and ten miles underground. http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ous/STORE/X2008nyae/ciim_display.html

El Chuxter
02-27-2008, 04:44 PM
It's a little funny that you have to go to a US government site based in California to get the Richter reading on a quake in your backyard.

Jargo
02-27-2008, 05:16 PM
it was just the first link when i did a google search. besides which you guys get so many you're equipment is more sensitive.

lol I love unplanned double entendre.

anyhoo, *cough* apparently it caused $60.000.000 worth of damage according to insurance firms. mostly just faling chimneys and roof slates. biggest inland quake for 24 years though we apparently get about 200 a year that register on the richter. last big one was out in the North sea about two years ago. that was in the region of a 6 on the richter.

this damn floating footbal we live on is just breaking up. she cannae take it cap'n.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-27-2008, 05:20 PM
"Easy Scotty". *emphasis on hands waving in the air* "You Have....To Find...A Way to Keep...it together!!!"

Sorry, but that's the best Shatner I can come up with on such short notice.