PDA

View Full Version : "An entire LEGION of my BEST TROOPS awaits them!"

General_Grievous
02-26-2008, 10:12 PM
I was just watching ROTJ and I chuckled when this line came up. I never really thought of it before, but it was pretty sad that the Imperials on Endor were Palpatine's best troops, according to him anyway. An entire legion...of Palpatine's' BEST TROOPS. The best troops that got their bacon handed to them by a bunch of rock-throwing ewoks. What happened there? Did another squad of short bus Imperials pull the old switcheroo so the real elite legion could chill on the Death Star and play poker or something? Luke was right. Palpy's overconfidence really was his weakness. I guess it's a good thing that Palpatine died. Boy, would his face be red if he found out his "best troops" were defeated by teddy bears. lol

JON9000
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I was just watching ROTJ and I chuckled when this line came up. I never really thought of it before, but it was pretty sad that the Imperials on Endor were Palpatine's best troops, according to him anyway. An entire legion...of Palpatine's' BEST TROOPS. The best troops that got their bacon handed to them by a bunch of rock-throwing ewoks. What happened there? Did another squad of short bus Imperials pull the old switcheroo so the real elite legion could chill on the Death Star and play poker or something? Luke was right. Palpy's overconfidence really was his weakness. I guess it's a good thing that Palpatine died. Boy, would his face be red if he found out his "best troops" were defeated by teddy bears. lol

I used to think the same thing, but then I read the EU novel where the clone line from Jango was disrupted to be replaced by a clone line from Barney Fife. That's the contingent that wound up on Endor. God, I love EU!

mabudonicus
02-27-2008, 10:03 AM
maybe Palps meant "poops" when he said "troops" cos they were pretty doon-y, and I have seen that a character named the phantom Man@@@ has called for the commencement of the landing of poops (also explaning how powerful Darth Flatulatus was with the brown side of the force- scary stuff)
:beard: Iso&Baws

Man I love this stuff :D

Slicker
02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Ummm...there were alot of Ewoks?

El Chuxter
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
This bickering is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm usually the last mod to complain about people staying on topic, but there were 13 responses to this topic, and only a few weren't pointlessly antagonistic or responding to said pointlessly antagonistic posts.

If anyone here has a problem with what others say at another site (which I'm not naming due to some decidedly family unfriendly content), please take it up with those people in private or somewhere other than this forum. I don't have a problem with anyone who's posted in this thread, but I do have a problem with responding to random threads with nothing other than accusing people of being "juvenile Lucasites" or "immature homos" in what appears to be an attempt to goad other people into a flame war.

The only reason I'm not deleting this entire thread is because I think the topic General Grievous brought up is a good one that can be discussed (or argued, or whatever, as long as it stays somewhat on topic).

Please stay on topic, or at least within the same zip code. Thanks.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I used to think the same thing, but then I read the EU novel where the clone line from Jango was disrupted to be replaced by a clone line from Barney Fife. That's the contingent that wound up on Endor. God, I love EU!

Didn't they include Gomer Pyle in that clone pool as well?

Snowtrooper
02-27-2008, 07:16 PM

This is an aspect of ROTJ that made it a bit disappointing to me. In ANH and ESB, the Empire is a worthy, albeit overconfident, opponent. In ROTJ, they seem more like bumbling idiots who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack. This reduces the accomplishments of the heros IMHO. The prequels also suffer from this problem in regards to the trade federation and separatist movement. Cool bad guys make a movie.

Don't get me wrong though. I still really like ROTJ.

JimJamBonds
02-27-2008, 08:27 PM
If there really was a Legion then the troopers should have kicked some major furry butt. Although most movies never show the 'true number' of troops/people.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-27-2008, 08:32 PM
If there really was a Legion then the troopers should have kicked some major furry butt. Although most movies never show the 'true number' of troops/people.

In all fairness though they didn't have CG back in the day JJB, and you probably did want your set bogged down with a bunch extras back then. Now though they should have no excuse. If there's claims in a flick of a 100,000 man army, then I wanna see the whole army. Even if they're only CGI.

JimJamBonds
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
In all fairness though they didn't have CG back in the day JJB, and you probably did want your set bogged down with a bunch extras back then. Now though they should have no excuse. If there's claims in a flick of a 100,000 man army, then I wanna see the whole army. Even if they're only CGI.

Hopefully in the next release they change Charlotte's dialog to, "A Company of my finest........"

Speaking of finest I thought the finest troops wore red?

Slicker
02-27-2008, 11:47 PM
If there's claims in a flick of a 100,000 man army, then I wanna see the whole army. Even if they're only CGI.Ummm...a legion of troops is only about 5,000 going by the old Roman standards. We'd call it a brigade or a small division by our standards.

100,000 troops would best be described as an army group or possibly just an army.

JediTricks
02-28-2008, 03:52 AM
They were still waiting at the actual front door to the shield generator. When they saw the Death Star blow up, they realized their folly of leaving the back door relatively unattended, and disbanded.

CaptainSolo1138
02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
they realized their folly of leaving the back door relatively unattended, and disbanded.That's what Slicker's mom said.

2-1B
02-28-2008, 06:50 PM
But then how did Slicker come to be ? :thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
02-28-2008, 06:55 PM
But then how did Slicker come to be ? :thumbsups:

Some questions are better left unanswered.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-01-2008, 09:59 AM
There's a simple answer for this. Palpy put in a requisition for a legion of troops, selecting the "best" category under "Quality Level." The accountant in charge realized the costs involved, combined with the mounting expenses of this new, larger, more powerful Death Star, that the "Very Good" legion could be sufficient and save the Empire some credits. Mr. Emperor probably also forgot to request the "Special Skills" detail of "thinks independently" or "able to adjust to change well," so that doomed 'em from the start.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe I can hotwire this thing...

In the newspaper this morning, there was an article about the head of the Cal. State University college system stepping down. There will need to be a new chancellor, a strong chancellor, to replace him. Maybe there's some education guy or gal saying to him-/herself: "I will be that chancellor." There are no baseless accusations of corruption of the outgoing guy, that I'm aware he's mired in. Just reminded me of that other Palpy line. I'm done now. Carry on.