PDA

View Full Version : Commander Gree Review

Kidhuman
02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Just posted it up here.

http://reviews.sirstevesguide.com/showproduct.php?product=50

Engineernerd
02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I actually passed on Gree. I just didn't see the need to get him. Kinda burned out on clone troopers.

Kidhuman
02-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I was going to pass on him as well, but someting said to add him to the cart, so I did. I figured, if I didnt likeit, the kid could have it. The kid is still begging for one. Might give him the old one.

Old Fossil
02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
My only complaint is that the thigh armor seems to limit his leg movement a little. Other than that, its a decent upgrade.

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I'll admit, based on the pics you've got posted, he is a huge upgrade over the old one.

But, well, the old one is adequate for my needs (if far from perfect), and the new one is another $7. I'm doing a good job so far on restraining myself from buying SW figures I'm not excited about, and don't want to give in to my old habits. (More money to go toward diapers, property taxes, and the far more exciting Joe line.)

jedi master sal
02-29-2008, 11:27 PM
I just added my review of the fig.

It's an awesome fig, just plain get it!!! You'll see for yourself then.

pegger
03-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Wow - I'm sorry guys, but I whole heartedly disagree with you.

The helmet completely ruins this figure for me. To be SO cose to greatness, and to fail - it seems so....Patriots - you know?

Honestly - they spent all that time and $ in the joints - which is amazing. The range of movement is something else - but to drop the ball on the helmet? It's unforgivable in my opinion.

I have to admit - this is one figure that makes me just mad. I give it a D

jedi master sal
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Wow - I'm sorry guys, but I whole heartedly disagree with you.

The helmet completely ruins this figure for me. To be SO cose to greatness, and to fail - it seems so....Patriots - you know?

Honestly - they spent all that time and $ in the joints - which is amazing. The range of movement is something else - but to drop the ball on the helmet? It's unforgivable in my opinion.

I have to admit - this is one figure that makes me just mad. I give it a D

Please expound upon what you mean. What specifically about the helmet do you not like? I think it's pretty good. Granted this was one figure that didn't need a removable helmet, but that fact alone wasn't enough to make me not like it.

pegger
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Please expound upon what you mean. What specifically about the helmet do you not like? I think it's pretty good. Granted this was one figure that didn't need a removable helmet, but that fact alone wasn't enough to make me not like it.

I'll take a pic of it - but on mine - a little bit of the chin sticks out. At a distance you don't really see it - and myabe it's only because of the way I held the figure the first time - but every time I look at it I see a little tiny bit of chin.

Kidhuman
03-04-2008, 08:50 PM
My Gree doesnt have that issue Pegger, sorry.

JediTricks
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
On mine, I can get the chin completely into the helmet, but my issue with the helmet is that it's way oversized to get his head in there, that bugs me. Also, while I do like the new joints in theory, the applications here don't work that well, the wrists look a little bulky and the hips are VERY bulky. It's an ok figure, but I don't want to see more armored figures done with these hips, it didn't look quite right on the ROTS #6 clone nor the AT-TE Gunner, and it looks worse here.

The other issue I take with this figure is the paint, while it is an improvement, it's lacking the sharpness the source material demands, everything sorta blends into everything else.

Shooting from the hip, I'd grade it a mild B.

Kidhuman
03-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Actually JT, I would want a biker scout done, they can sit on the speeders then.

JediTricks
03-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Yeah, that's true, and they don't have armor on their thighs anyway so it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Absolutely the Biker Scouts should have that articulation, they even have the bags on their waste to help cover the hips visually.

jedi master sal
03-05-2008, 11:45 AM
My Gree doesnt have that issue Pegger, sorry.

Mine either.

As to the big helmet, I think some are forgetting that the helmets ARE big. Real life stormtrooper helmets are huge. Clone helmets wouldn't be any less big. In fact with the fins of either the phase I or II, they would be a little bigger.

So I don't mind the removable helmet feature. Though admittedly it doesn't need to happen with every clone, but each MOVIE clone commander would have been nice. IMO

El Chuxter
03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
My Gree doesn't have a removeable helmet. And he has painted-on suspenders.

bigbarada
03-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I think it's a really nice figure. Like I mentioned a whiles back, I never liked the idea of camouflaged Stormtroopers, but for some reason these Kashyyk troopers just work for me.

On my figure, you can see the clone chin under the helmet, but only if you are really looking for it. It's not noticeable unless you just tilt his head all the way back. Even then it's not a big deal at all, these are $7 childrens' toys not high-end replicas, so I don't see how you can expect more than this.

I think the size of the helmets is an improvement over the film models. The drawback of creating these characters solely in the computer is that they don't have to obey the laws of reality and the troopers can be based on idealized human proportions and not realistic human proportions. So I've always thought that the Clonetrooper helmets in the film look too small to be realistic. This fixes that. The only thing I don't like about the helmet is how it kind of mushrooms out at the top when it should just be a smooth dome.

My only complaint would be the limited range of motion in some of the joints, mainly the elbows and knees.

pegger
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
On my figure, you can see the clone chin under the helmet, but only if you are really looking for it. It's not noticeable unless you just tilt his head all the way back. Even then it's not a big deal at all, these are $7 childrens' toys not high-end replicas, so I don't see how you can expect more than this.

I think my problem is that I noticed it right away. And now it just eats at me. Non stop. And every time I look at it, I just get madder and madder.

Kinda like AOTC - you know?

jedi master sal
03-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I think my problem is that I noticed it right away. And now it just eats at me. Non stop. And every time I look at it, I just get madder and madder.

Kinda like AOTC - you know?

Okay here's one possible solution then:
If you never plan on displaying him helmetless, then paint the heck, jaw/chin black and be done with it.

I don't plan on displaying him without his helmet on, so if mine were as bad as you say yours is, I'd consider doing just that.

-Sal

pegger
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Okay here's one possible solution then:
If you never plan on displaying him helmetless, then paint the heck, jaw/chin black and be done with it.

I don't plan on displaying him without his helmet on, so if mine were as bad as you say yours is, I'd consider doing just that.

-Sal

I've actually spun his head around. That works too.

I KNOW it sounds like I'm beating this to death. It just irks me. I was expecting a lot of this figure - and in my mind it was SO close to perfection - SO close to being 100% perfect - for something as obivious as a flesh tone to poke out from beneath the helmet... uggg.

Same for Vader. The articulation, likeness, paint aps, everything is perfect. But 1 obvious joint (elbows) - which are pretty crucial - were left as cut. Now -I've got nothing against the cut joints. I think they work great on the imperial officers and the rebel troopers - but when you consider that every other joint is ball or SA - why not the elbows?

bigbarada
03-08-2008, 02:38 AM
I've just come to terms with the fact that every new figure that I'm looking forward to for weeks, months or even years, is going to disappoint me in one way or the other. It's inevitable. Usually as time passes, those irritations grate on you less and less and eventually it just doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.

Sometimes it takes years, though. I hated the vintage Darth Vader as a kid because it just looked like 4 inches of black poo. However, after about 10 years looking back at the figure as an adult, the glaring, horrible inaccuracies just didn't seem to matter and all I remembered was the fun I had with that hideous crap-stick.

So don't worry about it, every figure is going to let you down somehow, but time will heal all wounds..... or something like that.:D

TIE Pilot
03-19-2008, 06:28 PM
While I think this is a wonderful figure.. ~my~ little nitpick is the lack of vents painted on the back of the helmet.

The first Gree had them.

Darth Cruel
04-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I really like this figure. I don't like everything about it, but I like it overall a lot.

I like the added wrist articulation. I think they could have done more complete articulation and made it match on both wrists...but I definitely consider it to be an improvement.

I like the idea of the ball-jointed hips. But there needs to be some perfecting of that done to the 3 3/4" line. As this one is executed, I actually prefer the hip joints on the #41 sculpt. Any figure that goes on a Speeder Bike, Swoop or B.A.R.C. Speeder would benefit from it. But this articulation should be given to exclusive figures that come with those vehicles and another version without the ball-jointed hips should be released on a card.

I very much like the idea of the removeable helmet. I don't even mind the added size of the helmet to allow for this feature. I hate the soft rubbery helmets that lose their signature shape when you put them on a clone's head.

I think the color scheme could have matched the Kashyyyk troopers a little better. This new Gree is a little too grey for me. But other than the shade of paint, I like the application. The pattern looks to be pretty close even if the color is off if you can imagine what I mean by that.

I still consider the figure to be a very strong "A" in the effort department. Hopefully Hasbro sees it as a step toward perfection and not the actual perfection.