PDA

View Full Version : Pic of New A-Wing

DarkArtist
02-28-2008, 04:29 PM
found this over at 4inches.com looks like we've getting a Red A-Wing with new pilot using Tycho's body and a new head.

jedi master sal
02-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Looks like the same old toy, just a new pilot.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-28-2008, 05:19 PM
"I don't know about this one Clark."

Blah...next!

I'll get the pilot loose on E-Bay...

Jedi_Kal-El
02-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I'll probably get 2 so I can put my Tycho figure in one, and you can have the extra pilot Sinscia.

Jargo
02-28-2008, 05:30 PM
this was revealed in hasbro's slideshow presentation. The pilot is Arvel Crynyd apparently.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
At least he has the right helmet this time.

bigbarada
02-28-2008, 10:30 PM
We talked about this in the TF08 thread. I was actually more excited about this than I was for Yarna. I've been wanted a movie-correct A-Wing Pilot for over ten years now.

I'll walk past 100 AT-TEs to get this A-Wing, that's how excited I am for this one.:pleased:

JediTricks
02-29-2008, 01:07 AM
A-wing is probably the most accurate vehicle the vintage line ever produced, awesome toy. And it's nice to see the helmet done right, something we SSG'ers can be proud of since we're the ones who brought it to Hasbro's attention.

bigbarada
02-29-2008, 02:59 AM
A-wing is probably the most accurate vehicle the vintage line ever produced, awesome toy. And it's nice to see the helmet done right, something we SSG'ers can be proud of since we're the ones who brought it to Hasbro's attention.

That helmet represents a big victory for the fans here at SSG. Especially with how quickly Hasbro announced a corrected version of the accessory after we brought it up in the Q&A. I don't know where to find Hasbro's response, but I remember they were completely unaware that the Tycho figure was given the wrong helmet for an A-Wing Pilot until that question was asked.

I'm also really excited to see that they've molded the side cannons in black and painted the nozzles red and white like they were in the movie. Now let's just hope that they don't overdo the "dirty" paint applications this time around.

The only thing that could possibly make this better is if they put the electronics back in; but that's almost too much to hope for. Which is kind of sad really, because the electronic lights and sounds were what really made the vintage vehicles come alive. The modern rereleases just feel like cheap hollow shells without them.

Jargo
02-29-2008, 05:50 AM
looking at the picture there's a yellow 'glow' on the engines. now that could be a tan paint app. my first thought was that they may have slipped the 'tronics back in. doubtful though.

Snowtrooper
02-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Not really interested in this. I've got two already from previously releases. I have no desire or space for a third.

General_Grievous
02-29-2008, 06:28 PM
The pilot is Arvel Crynyd apparently.
Was Arvel Crynyd the one who kamikazied his A-Wing into the Executor?

Jedi_Kal-El
02-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes he was the one.

JediTricks
03-02-2008, 12:14 AM
That helmet represents a big victory for the fans here at SSG. Especially with how quickly Hasbro announced a corrected version of the accessory after we brought it up in the Q&A. I don't know where to find Hasbro's response, but I remember they were completely unaware that the Tycho figure was given the wrong helmet for an A-Wing Pilot until that question was asked.From ActionFigs.com, July 6th, 2007 (I didn't remember it being that far back):

On the upcoming A-wing Pilot figure, he is packed with the incorrect helmet worn by Y-wing Pilots in Return of the Jedi. This error was also made on the Arvel Crynyd figure included in the '98 Rebel Pilots cinema scene, and that figure was repainted and repacked with the green A-wing a few years later. Is it possible for the new figure's helmet to be changed to the proper one (as seen, for instance, on the vintage figure), or if not, why is the error continually being made?
We were unaware of the error, but now that you mention it we will take a look. The figure will likely change from what was shown, since we are so close to production. (editor's note: because of the context, that may have been a slip on Hasbro's part and they meant to say it "will not likely change". We will check with them for confirmation - JT)
7-9-07 UPDATE: Hasbro has replied on the matter with this correction to the answer: The figure will UNLIKELY change because we are so close to production. But if they are taking a look at it now, future production may indeed change.

The only thing that could possibly make this better is if they put the electronics back in; but that's almost too much to hope for. Which is kind of sad really, because the electronic lights and sounds were what really made the vintage vehicles come alive. The modern rereleases just feel like cheap hollow shells without them.To be honest, I didn't like the motors or oversized LEDs they used in the vintage vehicles, or any odd modifications to the design which funked them up. The A-wing cries for light-up engines and flying & blaster sound effects though, it's got everything it needs for it. But I won't miss them if they're left out either, to me it's a lot about fueling my imagination.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
To be honest, I didn't like the motors or oversized LEDs they used in the vintage vehicles, or any odd modifications to the design which funked them up. The A-wing cries for light-up engines and flying & blaster sound effects though, it's got everything it needs for it. But I won't miss them if they're left out either, to me it's a lot about fueling my imagination.
I can agree with that. I don't mind electronics, but It's not a huge deal if they're not in there. I hang alot of my ships from the ceiling anyway so the lighter they are the better.

Jargo
03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't care for electronics. I play with them if there're batteries pre-packed in with the vehicle but once the batteries die I never replace them. Leave out the electronics and cut down the cost. Or use the budget to do a decent paint job or fix landing gear mechanism problems.

DarkArtist
03-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I would love this if it had laser and engine sounds, that would rock, maybe even some missle sounds.

TheDarthVader
03-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I am going to get this one since I do not own an A-wing. This seems like a good year for ships! The pilot figure rocks too.

JediTricks
03-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't care for electronics. I play with them if there're batteries pre-packed in with the vehicle but once the batteries die I never replace them. Leave out the electronics and cut down the cost. Or use the budget to do a decent paint job or fix landing gear mechanism problems.What landing gear problems? The Y-wing has probs, but the gear on the A-wing works smartly. It's the lever controlling the canopy that doesn't hold when the vehicle's inverted.

Jargo
03-04-2008, 08:36 AM
i find on all three of mine the rear landing gear sticks or doesn't deploy completely. like the pieces don't connect properly. it's nowhere near as bad as the Y-wing drunken leg collapse but there's defininately a problem. and yeah the front of the canopy needs a tab or something to hold it in position.

i guess the thrust of what i was saying was spend the budget fixing faults rather than adding stuff that will push up the cost. with any old mold vehicle.

Dark Marble
03-04-2008, 09:09 AM
I hate it when they release these vehicles with pilots. I could easily pass on the A-wing but I would like the pilot. The kicker is that this $20 vehicle and the $7 figure will $35 plus at retail.

bigbarada
03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I hate it when they release these vehicles with pilots. I could easily pass on the A-wing but I would like the pilot. The kicker is that this $20 vehicle and the $7 figure will $35 plus at retail.

Well it won't take long for the Arvel Crynyd figure to show up on ebay. He might cost more than a standard figure but at least he'll be cheaper than buying the whole set.

While I think Arvel Crynyd deserves a carded figure more than Tycho, Dutch Vander and Jek Porkins combined, I just don't see Hasbro releasing two carded A-Wing Pilots in two years.

For me, this version of the vehicle has enough improvements on the paint apps to warrant a purchase (even though I have two of the POTF2 releases).

Dark Marble
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I see where you are coming from. I love the A-Wing and know why Hasbro refreashes the vehicles. I just wish they would make it easier for the old timers like me to pass on them.

JON9000
03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Zev Zenesca fellas. Good things come to those who remain patient. And don't surprised if this hits at the magical $20 price point.

bigbarada
03-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Zev Zenesca fellas. Good things come to those who remain patient. And don't surprised if this hits at the magical $20 price point.

Or Ebay for those who are patient.... but not that patient. :D

I don't see any reason that this wouldn't be a $20 vehicle, the 1997 version was only $20 and that came with an all-new pilot figure. However, I'm expecting $25-30 for this set and I'm really hoping that it comes in a standard box and not a window box.

JediTricks
03-05-2008, 12:05 AM
i find on all three of mine the rear landing gear sticks or doesn't deploy completely. like the pieces don't connect properly. it's nowhere near as bad as the Y-wing drunken leg collapse but there's defininately a problem. Sounds like yours may be out of gearing alignment, try ratcheting one of the legs a gear tooth over and see if that helps.

I don't see any reason that this wouldn't be a $20 vehicle, the 1997 version was only $20 and that came with an all-new pilot figure. However, I'm expecting $25-30 for this set and I'm really hoping that it comes in a standard box and not a window box.And how much was a gallon of gas a decade ago? :p I remember buying that set at the original Frank & Sons back in the day before it actually came out, it was so cool. But it wasn't an exclusive, and at the time vehicles were cheaper to produce. Things are different these days, I'm picturing $30-$35 for the exclusive vehicle with figure, just like the Snowspeeder ($30). And the window display dioramas help sell 'em, so Hasbro's gonna keep using them.