PDA

View Full Version : Would You Go Back In Time and Relive Your Own Life, Knowing What You Know Now?

Tycho
02-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I have had several years of poor health to think about this one. For my part, this thread will mostly be about sex and sports, but I should clarify my opening statement.

My health is the result of hereditary illness incurred by genetic defects with my kidneys. I would never have been able to avoid renal failure, though perhaps if even my father had known he'd inherited this illness from his father, my folks could have helped me transition to becoming more of a vegetarian, earlier. Now your body still needs protein and vegetable protein from beans and such are also a problem for kidneys like mine to handle, but perhaps less-so than a steak-and-shrimp dinner. I'm sure I'd continue to eat chicken, some higher quality ground beef maybe several times a week, and cut back on salt which raises blood pressure (such as no fast-food fries, or have them made fresh and unsalted).

That might result in my health today being somewhat different from the way that it is. It might make me less anxious as a person with regards to that.

As to sports: well I wonder. I played baseball for 10 years, also played men's tennis in my off-season, and got into a black belt program after high school. I don't think I'd have done anything differently except I might know how much I would have wanted to play football. I was scared in my youth - and I would NOT have been able to bulk up by taking a lot of protein obviously. But I might have been a very fast receiver, being so strongly motivated to not get tackled! And I could possibly move a lot faster than those heavier guys. In baseball, I was a notoriously fast base-stealer, and since I played as an infielder, quite ruthless when I got to go on offense. Perhaps if I'd practiced more I'd have played college baseball or even taken that further? I was in a bad auto accident when I was 18 though, and I had a lot of pain from a hip injury, so I didn't return to my fastest form. I think with high kicks and stretching it out, my martial arts helped me recover from that, but I didn't play competitive baseball ever again. I love the sport and played co-ed softball in college, but mostly to meet girls. Still, I wonder if I'd be a very different person if I'd persisted in becoming an athlete.

Speaking of which, if I could go back to say, age 5, when I first moved to California, knowing what I know now, I could have been the most manipulative little ***t and might have started "scoring" very young. It's just a fantasy. But I wonder how my life would be different because of that? Might I even have been married by now and had children at a very young age? Or was I always smart enough to avoid trapping myself in that way? There were maybe 4 girls in my life from junior high to early high school (while still in California) that I might have successfully connected up with had I not screwed things up with most of them. Several actually were my girlfriends, but I managed to ruin that. I admired heroes like Captain Kirk or James Bond who moved on from one girl to the next, and I let that influence me. My parents' marriage wasn't good and I saw the same with other friends' families (some but not all). But it was my parents who were trying to teach me that I should respect and honor a special girl and that some day I would marry. They didn't impress me as any good example, and I rejected that upbringing very early on, leaving several of the girlfriends I brought up before. With one of the others, I just "tested" whether she'd go out with me, and upon learning that she liked me, I was satisfied and then didn't pursue it, keeping her as just a friend (she still is, I still have contact with her, but I've never discussed this with her and don't plan on it either). If I knew where I would be today and could go back in time, knowing how everything turned out, would I have hooked up with this girl, or stayed with that one? If I had, would I have even gone to a different college? (to be with her) How would my life have been different?

I think it might have been very different actually.

College choice brings up another important point. I was tested and determined to be "gifted" or whatever at various points in my education. I was sent to advanced classes and had to take some coursework at junior colleges while still in grade school because I was really quick. I'm obviously not very modest, but I'm going to try to be, so I'll stop there. But my parents had a college fund for me ready to send me to Stanford, Harvard, or Yale - that was part of their plan for me. Unfortunately, it was also how they measured their success as parents. I deliberately under-achieved (and saved myself a lot of stress over pointless busy-work assignments in my AP classes in school by just choosing to not do them) and I became (big surprise) a discipline problem. Yes: show me an authority figure and I'll show you my next target. (SSG Mods are hovering over the "edit post" buttons now, wondering what I'm going to type next, hehehe). It ended up that my "performance" landed me in a state school back in California (where I excelled and made a lot out of my experience) instead of at Havard, Yale, or wherever). And I think I got a better education.

I was also in a position where I could get elected into a position within San Diego's City Planning, citing the need for a student's voice and representation for a renter, versus just the powerful property owners and business owners that usually win these positions. My grades at San Diego State were exceptionally high - I was getting a 4.0 in college, and my father urged me to apply to transfer to the more prestigious UCSD. To humor him I did so, thinking I wouldn't get accepted. Not long before he died, we had a falling out because he found out I was accepted but refused to transfer schools (my friends and my life I was establishing for myself was in my community at SDSU). It would be likely that many of my accomplishments in the real world would not have happened for me (or had been very different) if I'd transfered.

When I look back at a lot of this stuff, I really wind up finding that I don't actually have a lot of regrets. Things turned out OK.

Would you have changed your life? How? What do you think you'd be like today if you did?

Jedi_Kal-El
02-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I am who I am today because of what my past is like. I'm not proud of some of the things I've done in my life, but I don't regret too many things. Changing things in the past would drastically change who I am now, and we might not be having this conversation right now. I try not to wonder about what could have been. I'm quite happy with where I am in my life right now. So no, as hard as things could be at times, and despite that fact that I have lost so many of my closest freinds over the years, I doubt I'd change anything.

Jargo
02-28-2008, 06:38 PM
i can think of certain points in my life I needed a kick up the backside. I could go back and advise myself under the guise of a cousin or something. but then i'd feel change immediately if my kicking proved successful. i wouldn't have what I have nowwhen I returned to the present. i'd be a stranger to my life with possibly people I've never met as my family. or partner. i could turn myself straight and find I wind up with seventeen kids and massive debts.

maybe I'd just go back sightseeing. for nostalgia's sake. peek at myself and my life rather than interfere or meet myself. maybe take a digicam with me and take photos to replace the ones i never see that my family took.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Yes! :yes::yes::yes:

Blue2th
02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
I can pinpoint the time and place where an important crossroads came, for better or worse, I chose one between two paths that lay before me.
One wouldn't know till that choice was the better one till you went along that timeline of the other choice and found out whether it was the right or wrong one in the long run.
Even though you might be saying to yourself shoulda coulda woulda. Maybe you made the right choice after all. Guess we'll never know.

Qui-Long Gone
02-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Kal-El speaks with the words of wisdom......I imagine that if I changed stuff from my past I'd miss out on the good things I have now, and frankely that's a trade I would never be willing to make. Plus I know what I know today because of my mistakes/achievements.

I think about this question sometimes and what I've realized is that even if I could go back, or maybe somehow talk to younger self, I doubt that my younger self would understand the consequences of good/bad choices, and most likely, my younger self would ignore my advice anyways....

Kidhuman
02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I wouldnt change anything as tempting as it is.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Well, the events of January 28, 1998, exactly 12 years to the date that the space shuttle Challenger exploded :( I made a life decision that I certainly don't regret, but do question at times. And, in January of '05, that began the worst year of my life. Maybe something might be different based on those two instances, but I'm stuck with how life is now, so that's the way it is (cue Walter Cronkite voice).

Tycho
02-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Care to share, Bel-Cam Jos?

2005 was partially a bad year for me too - the aneurysm in August most obviously. But part of it was great - meeting a lot of you at Celebration 3 in Indy and seeing Episode Three - thus completing another important era in my Star Wars fandom.

But a couple years ago my mom died. And a few years earlier, my father died, I lost my cat and my dog, one of my best friends committed suicide, one of my high school girlfriends was murdered, and my best friend in college lost his father as well - he was never the same after that and our friendship faded. And right before that, my college girlfriend and I broke it off - all in the same year.

I went through a lot, but I don't have anything I don't really talk about. I just keep going on. What else can you do?

jedi master sal
02-29-2008, 11:00 AM
There are too many things for me to list, ala Tycho fashion.

Just the cliff notes then:
Work more, excercise more, not collect toys.

I won't expound upon those as it would be too long of a post. If I would have done those three things, I highly suspect I'd be much more successful in life, well in business anyway.

I'm fairly well adjusted to my current life, though if I had the immediate opportunity, there is a lot that I would change.

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I would tell myself to buy the last three issues of GIJoe. I pre-ordered them from a comic shop where I went to college, but was at home when they came out. I saw them on newsstands, and passed since I'd ordered them. Imagine my shock when I went back to school and discovered the shop had closed its doors! :eek:

Other than that, no regrets.

In fact, I found those issues in JPG format online a few years ago, so no regrets at all.

Tycho
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Just the cliff notes then:
Work more, excercise more, not collect toys.

You (and I) obviously enjoy getting the toys a LOT, so why would you give that up? I think you can accomplish your other goals and still collect.

I left for Target at 7:50 this morning. Granted I live close (and the result was I found nothing but 45 Saga Legends Imperial Officers) but I was back home to have breakfast by 8:30 - that after an additional stop at Sears Essentials (K-Mart re-invented) on my way back.

A 40 min net loss from my day which cost me maybe 1 gallon of gas or less, and no productivity as I really wasn't going to work on anything this early in the morning anyway.

Qui-Long Gone
02-29-2008, 03:35 PM
After some second thoughts, I would go back and stop myself from seeing the films Congo, the Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions, and the second Peewee movie....

Jedi_Kal-El
02-29-2008, 03:38 PM
After some second thoughts, I would go back and stop myself from seeing the films Congo, the Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions, and the second Peewee movie....

You saw Peewee 2? I wouldn't blame you for fixing that little mistake my friend. lol

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Even Kris Kristofferson could not save that turkey.

Though he tried his best. And he looked damn good doing it, too.

Kris Kristofferson taught Caesar everything he knows. (Everything Caesar knows, that is. Even Caesar could not fully comprehend the grandeur of Kris Kristofferson's mind. I hear that even God has to ask him for help on Jeopardy questions sometimes.)

Tycho
02-29-2008, 04:13 PM
It would be interesting to observe my parents with my adult mind, when no one would suspect a child.

jedi master sal
02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
You (and I) obviously enjoy getting the toys a LOT, so why would you give that up? I think you can accomplish your other goals and still collect.

Yes, well, while I enjoy the toys, I DO look back and think I could have had this or that other thing instead. Namely a house.
I wouldn't have gotten myself into debt had I worked harder in all facets of my life. Initially I blamed that on my parents as my dad wasn't around and my mom was horrible with money. But while I learned their mistakes, I didn't learn how to get past them all to well and made many of the same mistakes. Again I don't completely blame them. I should have been stronger and wasn't.

My urge to have back some of my childhood with Star Wars toys overtook me in a way I never thought it would. My aunt's kids got them back in 95. The moment I saw them I knew I wanted them. I was 25-26 at the time and should have known better than to buy toys at that age. However, I allowed myself to be sucked in and 13 years later, while having a fairly impressive collection, I'm without a lot of other things I could have easily had in that timeframe.

I think in the last year this has been weighing more heavily on me, thus why I'm able to let go of certain parts of collecting, ie., army building, the new animated figs, GG's smaller busts, etc.

Had I exercised more I wouldn't be in the shape I am now. Besides being fat, yeah, I can call myself that but none of you, I have sleep apnea, asthma (Both related to my being fat) and acid reflux. If I'd have taken the time when I was in my 20s to take care of my health, I wouldn't be where I am now. I wouldn't have had the time to collect as I would have been in the gym a lot. Likely I wouldn't have been in the same relationship as I would have had money for a car and a home and wouldn't have been in the same spot to have met my fiancee.

Those three things: work more/harder, exercise more, not collect toys...
would have changed my life completely.

Sometimes I do daydream and wonder what my life would have been like had I made those decisions. But unfortunately reality sets in and I have to deal with my life now and the decisions, good or bad, that I've made.

I can't say I'm satisfied with my current life, but really should any of us ever really be? Until I become old and grey, I hope I will seek out new opportunities to improve my life. I've recently decided to go back to the gym (starting March 1st), I'm eating healthier foods now-stuff I never would have thought of like seaweed for example, which is 7-14 times high in calcium than milk. I'm trying to get more sleep which helps the body and brain heal. So at least in the health area I hope to make progress. Collecting as you know I've taken a downward stance in which should have the added benefit of helping my finances. By stating to gain due diligence in those areas I'm retraining myself and my work ethic.

So in reality I am getting to those very three things (work more/harder, exercise, not collect) I so much would have liked to change back then.

There, now you have that post Tycho, that I said I wasn't going to expound upon.

-Sal

Neuroleptic
02-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I'v been through some horiffic things that I wouldn't wish upon the worst people on the planet.

That being said, I STILl wouldn't change a thing, because I am a better person for it.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I can't say I'm satisfied with my current life, but really should any of us ever really be?

-Sal

That is a sad statement to me and I don't mean any disrespect and I'm not trying to rub it in, but I am very satisfied with who I am and the life I have had in the past and the the life I have now. I look forward to more life in the future!

I don't think many people realize how lucky we are to even BE alive! The odds of intelligent life are absolutely 1 in a million, million, million, billion! That we are self-aware compounds this further! For me, just walking outside the door and seeing the mountains in the background against a clear blue sky (which doesn't happen here often) is an amazing thing and makes me happy I am here! It really is the small things, yet humans tend only to focus on the grandiose; it is sad!

It seems everyone focuses and defines their own life on what society says makes a good life, like having a house, kids, a career, lots of money, being skinny blah blah blah. That is just crap! One of the biggest problems I see is that most people are not happy with the skin they are in and hence no one will be happy with anything else if they are not happy with themselves.

I thank my Mom from the bottom of my heart for instilling in me a sense of self-respect, independence and a love for life, of which I carry with me everyday in everything I do from the dishes, to being kind to animals and people, to working very hard in my academic career. Just being half of her and keeping her alive that way, makes life even more precious to me!

I would go back and live my life the same, I absolutely regret NOTHING I have ever done and I can say that with the utmost confidence and finality!

We are alive, just enjoy that for what it is because it's the biggest thing that will ever happen to you (a general 'you')!

Tycho
02-29-2008, 05:35 PM
There, now you have that post Tycho, that I said I wasn't going to expound upon.

That's OK Sal. It's important that you find new ways to become more happy with yourself. I know this all too-well because of my circumstances.

We have a really good, long-standing community here, so maybe your friends here can help support you with that. You guys made me feel really good with all the support you showed me when I was in the hospital, nearly dead. It doesn't get more serious than that.

With that in mind, I respond to your post as a friend.

Yes, well, while I enjoy the toys, I DO look back and think I could have had this or that other thing instead. Namely a house.

Maybe, but probably not. I know you buy even more SW than I do, for army-building and dioramas, but I've calculated that I might have laid out $60,000 for Star Wars over the past 13 years or so. Houses here are on average $500,000 and usually much higher for anything nice in a safe and asthetically appealing location (and I'm not talking about beach houses). At a mortgage of around $4K a month or higher (likely) that would be spending $48,000 a year or more on a house out here. In ONE YEAR! It took about 13 (THIRTEEN) years to spend that much and just a quarter more on Star Wars.

Now, houses might be more affordable in your part of the country, but I still have family members living here who were too old or ill to travel. Add to that, before I was ill, I'd built a good reputation for community work that led to my election and possible career advancement in public service here in San Diego. So it wouldn't make sense for me to leave anyway. I might have just had to take much longer - maybe deep into my 30's - to be able to afford my house out here - and based on my own earnings that I produced after college and nothing else. (I've only been disabled for about 2 years).

As to debt, I too can outspend what I receive from my trust fund now. Part of that is that I may not be alive to enjoy things later, and there will be more hospitalizations and recoveries, so I must LIVE and have no regrets now. I'll freely spend money on women, adventures, and travel to the best of my ability to be able to enjoy them. I restricted myself when it came to toys and concentrated mainly on acquiring pieces for the dioramas I want to build. You know exactly what I'm talking about. I was already doing 12", so with SideShow I restrict myself to just buying what Hasbro didn't offer, like E3 Obi-Wan Kenobi, or Chancellor Palpatine. My Transformer interest and the Star Trek items I'll buy are very marginal and not very costly. I didn't jump into any Gentle Giant products, Kotobukiya, Medicom, etc.

I'm buying less not just to save money and live within my means - but I won't have the room to display all this even if I DO get the large house. I already plan to convert most of a 3-car garage and put my Star Trek stuff on display in there with a couch and spare TV, maybe a pool table. I'll park outside in my driveway. But the 3rd car spot is really for my boat trailer because it's best if I keep a marine battery charger connected to it when it's not in use.

But once in a house, I'll have to have savings for emergency plumbing, air conditioning service, groundskeeping, etc. I am not physically fit or experienced for many of these things and it's not like in my apartment complex where we have on-call, middle-of-the-night service in 30 minutes or less.

If we're all still around the site when I can get my house, I may have to post in the Just Found LA forums when I get a new plumber because there will be nothing else new and no extra money to spend on it anyway. Yes, I can see SirStevesGuideToPlumbersReferralService.com in our future. (Should the air conditioning guys be listed in a separate thread?) ;)

My urge to have back some of my childhood with Star Wars toys overtook me in a way I never thought it would.

I was a little younger than you when I got back into SW. It was when I was a teenager and broke up with a girlfriend who was very important to me and I found out she was doing all sorts of things behind my back (there's the real story behind all my misogyny - I'm serious!) I longed for a simpler time. Before I lost some dexterity in my hands, I wasn't half-bad with drawing, sketching art. I pulled two sheets out of my sketch pad by mistake, and they were still connected. It's that long kind of paper you set up on an art easel. I positioned it horizontally, and drew ALL the Kenner Star Wars toys (playsets and vehicles) that they'd made and set up a whole diorama of the OT if you will. Then I drew in the figures, giving myself as many of each one as I needed - lot of stormtroopers of course, but multiple Hans, Chewies, Lukes, Leias, Bens, etc. as I needed (to crew the Falcon, get stuck in the trash compactor, etc.) I longed for simpler times when I didn't have to worry about girls, social anxieties, etc.

(OK, I spent all I had to take Amy to Hawaii and had a great vacation. At our college, she'd joined a sorority and their functions and pref dances with fraternities and so forth threatened me. I took her away because I feared I was losing her. Many of the really wealthy kids did stuff like Spring Break in the Caribbean, etc. Sure enough, when she got the invitation, she left me behind. But we didn't break up. She was just being popular and thought she was being cool by picking up guys wherever she went. She was pretty and could do this. So I cheated on her too, and we stayed together somehow, even living together some of the time, while lying to each other and having these covert but competitive other relationships. She's a girl. She can win with no contest. I inherited money a little later. But by then I hated women. I learned the game alright. One of my flings away from my presumed girlfriend was a recurring thing with a still (almost) life-long friend (well I met her in college) and she was doing the same thing to a boyfriend of hers who was working hard in MEDICAL SCHOOL! (She ended up marrying and divorcing him of course. They have joint custody of a son now. Anyway, life did NOT turn out how my parents told me it would - where you fall in love, marry, and be a loyal husband and father to a family - whereas you also know I don't want to chance having kids because my illness is hereditary anyway.) So I don't regret turning to toys and wanting to relive happier, simpler times. I'd have been a bigger fool to continue to spend $60,000 on Amy!)

Had I exercised more I wouldn't be in the shape I am now.

I did exercise constantly. My toy collecting had no impact on that. I was an athlete through high school and continued to play co-ed sports for social opportunities in college. Meanwhile, my martial arts training was very important to me, and I even did some competitive fighting. Star Wars actually inspired that (and Star Trek) because I didn't want to just be a fanboy of "heroes," I wanted to be my own hero. As you know, I had my brain aneurysm while in the gym working out for 3 hours (that was sort of overdoing it, but they had a computer lab in my gym as well as a TV lounge - it was at my university. I'd post on SirSteve's between exercise routines, and as I didn't have any better place (or healthier place) to be, I stayed and socialized there because the place would be filled with 20-something girls and no dirty-old-men like regular fitness clubs. This was college life! So I'd do 30 minutes on the cross-trainer and then go check the just-found forums on our site, post about Mouse Droids, and then go back and bench press. I worked out at night mostly. I'd exhaust myself so I could sleep much better.

My kidney issue was giving me high blood pressure and that can affect your sleep. You might want to have yours checked. Most of my medication is for hyperension and blood pressure issues.

As to breathing at night, I run a vaporizer. $9.99 at Wal-Mart. Fill it with water. Plug it in. Steam yourself out when you sleep. No snoring and you wake with a clear head and better morning breath. It also helps if you have Star Wars junk picking up dust all around your sleeping quarters, which can affect how you breath. I really need to dust my 7" Unleashed!!!

I got a prescription for my acid reflex, if that's what it is. I can't eat too much or I throw up. This is especially true if I can't breath right. I really need to have the heater cleaned in my truck, too. I often feel sick breathing the air when I drive. But I am doing better with the medacine now. I hated paying $10 for a salad bar and then uncontrollably vomitting in the parking lot. Remember a few weeks ago when I got kicked out of a bar and I wasn't even drinking alcohol? A doctor actually CAN help with this. Trust me, I don't always trust doctors, but the medacine...it's Omaprazole and a substitute (but NOT a generic) for something that was way too expensive, seems to be helping.

Anyway, I took care of my health and it didn't spare me.

Those three things: work more/harder, exercise more, not collect toys...
would have changed my life completely.

That did NOT change my life. If I could change things for different outcomes, it would have to be other stuff. Sure everyone is different. I just don't want you to beat up on yourself.

So in reality I am getting to those very three things (work more/harder, exercise, not collect) I so much would have liked to change back then.

Well you have all my support! Go for it! :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
02-29-2008, 06:06 PM
I think it's one thing to be satisfied with your life as in you are grateful to be alive, not grow up in Siberia, or not wait at night with a gun while rebels raize your African tribe over their genocide wars....

It's another to want to improv your life with better choices and opportunities.

It's perspective. Life is beautiful depending on your ability to understand that beauty doesn't equal rainbows and roses....afterall, if we learned anything it's that every rose has it's thorn, just like every cowboy sings a sad, sad song.

What seperates us from the rest of the earth's species is that we have the power to change our destiny. Humanity is one of the few beings that has the power to make not only us but our world better. We can destroy our planet or stop destroying it, just as we can destroy our lives or stop self-destructing. The key is to surround yourself with the right people who will help you not hurt you. For those of us who have spouses and kids we can attest that "no man is an island."

My wife and I started working with homeless people in our town and it's really helped us understand gratitude and community in a whole new way.....

The great sage Bobby said it well, Don't worry, Be happy....

Jedi_Kal-El
02-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Life is what you make it. Good or bad you control your own destiny. Deox put it best by what she said about loving life. If you're breathing then it's all good. I know some may disagree with that statement, but just consider that some people don't even get the kind of chance at the kind of life you and I have. I'd hate to think of what it would be like to live in a third world country with constant wars, famine, and disease. Not a pretty picture, but imagine if you actually had to live it everyday. Instead of saying I wish this had happen, or it's not fair that that happend, I just try to enjoy each day that I'm given, and not stress about too much.

Tycho
02-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I think you always make improvements and strive for more wherever you are at.

Sure, you can be thankful you are not a parapalegic or living in a 3rd world country. If the latter, I'd have become a terrorist or communist insurgent, no doubt. I would climb the ladder of such an organization with left-wing radical guerillas and turned out to be Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro, or have died trying. That would still be a good life as a matter of fact...

Anyway, I'm American, and I constantly try to make life better with what I have and what I can achieve. I'll get reflective and feel thankful for what I have, too. But it is my nature to compete for more.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-29-2008, 06:44 PM
I think you always make improvements and strive for more wherever you are at.

Sure, you can be thankful you are not a parapalegic or living in a 3rd world country. If the latter, I'd have become a terrorist or communist insurgent, no doubt. I would climb the ladder of such an organization with left-wing radical guerillas and turned out to be Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro, or have died trying. That would still be a good life as a matter of fact...

Anyway, I'm American, and I constantly try to make life better with what I have and what I can achieve. I'll get reflective and feel thankful for what I have, too. But it is my nature to compete for more.

Bettering yourself is never a bad thing Tycho. It's just that if things don't work out the way people think they should, then they usually spend alot of time dwelling on that fact, and in my opinion that's a waste of energy. Plus, if things don't work out you can always try again. That's one of the greatest thing about being alive. If you fall down, you can pick youself right back up.

JetsAndHeels
02-29-2008, 07:06 PM
If I could do it all over again I would bet on sports.....Back to the Future II style!!

Seriously though, I don't think I would change anything. I cannot complain as I have had a good life so far.

Have there been some tough times? You bet.

Have I made bad decisions? Everyday!!

But have I learned from them? Absolutely. :)

jjreason
02-29-2008, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't want to change anything if it meant I'd have to give up anything I have at this point in my life. I love my wife, kids and job, I have a nice home and lots of stuff to put in it - a conventional "successful" life, though by no means a rich one.

There ARE a good many instances that I'd like to have a 2nd crack at though... a couple named Allison and one named Heather come to mind. lol

Kidhuman
02-29-2008, 07:55 PM
If I could do it all over again I would bet on sports.....Back to the Future II style!!

Seriously though, I don't think I would change anything. I cannot complain as I have had a good life so far.

Have there been some tough times? You bet.

Have I made bad decisions? Everyday!!

But have I learned from them? Absolutely. :)

But would you be a Batman fan if you went back?

JetsAndHeels
02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
But would you be a Batman fan if you went back?

I like Batman..... I like most of the superheroes actually.

But to answer your question, I would stay a Super fan first and foremost. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Care to share, Bel-Cam Jos?Well, since someone else did the Cliff's Notes, I'll give the Sparks Notes version, involving key terms:

- cancer (family)
- mysterious illness (me, family)
- roll-over totalled-the-car accident (me, not my fault)
- other car accidents (family)
- legal issues (me, family)
- cats born under the house (here, not my animals either)
- telephone harassment (me, family)
- accusations of terrorism (family, serious about the accusations but no basis in the claims themselves)
- work issues (me, family)

Basically, I have been trying to bury that year, so forgive me if the details are purposely vague.

jedi master sal
02-29-2008, 11:33 PM
That is a sad statement to me and I don't mean any disrespect and I'm not trying to rub it in, but I am very satisfied with who I am and the life I have had in the past and the the life I have now. I look forward to more life in the future!...

I said I wasn't satisfied. Didn't say I wasn't content. Two different things to me.

I'm content at where I am in life. However I'm not satisfied that this is all it holds for me.

Does that clear it up at all?

I certainly don't have a bad life now, just not the life I would REALLY like to have. Hopefully in time, but I'll make do with what I've got while trying to work to that end.

jedi master sal
02-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Maybe, but probably not. I know you buy even more SW than I do, for army-building and dioramas, but I've calculated that I might have laid out $60,000 for Star Wars over the past 13 years or so. Houses here are on average $500,000 and usually much higher for anything nice in a safe and asthetically appealing location (and I'm not talking about beach houses).

Too much to read and post back to so I'll do this a little at a time.

Houses in my area are relative inexpensive. I can get an "okay" one for $80-100K A nice one for $100-160K, a very good one for $160-250K, and a small mansion for more than $250K. (Granted a home loan doubles those amounts)

Pittsburgh cost of living isn't all that bad, and one of the reasons we were voted the most livable city twice.

So over the last 13 years, I've spent upwards of $75K on toys. That would have ben enough to pay my mortgage as I go. My big problem though is credit. I screwed up as a youngster (19) and didn't have the knowledge of how to recover from my screw up and kept making mistakes. So to this day I still pay for them with a bad credit score. It's not horrible mind you, but enough to keep me from getting a home loan, especially in todays housing market. The northeast states, PA beign one of them actually still has a GOOD housing market. So real estate agents won't look to those with less than perfect credit.

bigbarada
03-01-2008, 03:21 AM
If I could go back knowing EVERYTHING I know now? Well, first of all, I wouldn't have wasted all that money on the POTF2 line knowing that we would get far better resculpts just a few years in the future.

Saving that money could have possibly helped me to avoid bankruptcy in 2002 and getting my car repossessed in 2001.

I would not have volunteered to go to Bosnia in 1996, thus sparing myself 7 months of absolute misery. Even now I can't help but think that that did more harm to me than good.

However, I've heard that life is like baking a cake. Not all the ingredients are palatable by themselves (have you ever tried to eat pure baking soda?), but without those ingredients the cake is incomplete and the final result is not as good as it could have been. So, even the bad experiences in our lives play an important role in who we are now.

Also the chain of events that led me to where I am now are so unlikely and bizarre that I can't help but be convinced that they were the result of some kind of divine intervention. There's no other way to explain it, it's the kind of thing that only happens in real life and bad fiction.:D

JediTricks
03-02-2008, 02:26 AM
For much of my childhood, I tried to be cautious and take few risks because my life was so full of upheaval in ways I couldn't control. As an adult, I've tried to live with more gusto, under the thinking "regret the things you've done, not the things you haven't." I'm still fairly cautious, but now I do try new things and do stuff that might seem a little out of reach. Despite that, there are a few things I'd change if I could go back and redo them. And there's plenty more little stuff like not backing into that pole in my garage and denting my rear fender, not seeing the Matrix sequels (good call QLG!) or Blade 2 or a ton of other movies, not bought so much Ep 1 junk, but the reality is that those things are done and can't be changed, only learned from.

JimJamBonds
03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
No, not to get too geeky here but this idea was explored on TNG. There are a few things that I wish I could do differently but in the end everthing that has happened to me has made me the person who I am today. Good, bad or indifferent even a minor change could make a huge difference in me.

2-1B
03-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, kinda like Homer J: "I wish I wish I hadn't squished that fish." :thumbsup:

bobafrett
03-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I've wondered myself what I would change in my past if I could. There is one thing I would change if it were not medically needed to keep me alive. Back in 1973 I was told by a doctor (and several tests) that I had a bridge between my veins and my arteries in my head. My brain was telling my heart that it wasn't getting enough blood, so my heart was working harder to pump the blood up past the bridge. Doing so caused the Veins and arteries to expand, and thus made my heart work even harder. The doctors told my parents that if I didn't have the surgery, I would die by the time I reached 10 (I was 8 at the time of the surgery). My heart would eventually given out, and I would most likely have a massive heart attack. I have always trusted the doctors, but the surgery left my right side weakend, and not doing the at home therapy after the surgery later in life left me with a limp from years of walking incorrectly instead of stretching my muscles. That in turn left me insecure when asking someone out on a date, and I was always getting picked last for the sports teams throughout my school years. It also gave me an excuse for not doing as well as others in certain sporting events. I got out of doing hurdles for example because I feared I wouldn't be able to get my right leg up and over the hurdle.

Another thing I would have changed was my education. I look at the rich community I live in and wonder if I would be living in one of the nice houses in my town, instead of renting a small two bedroom split level house just so I can get my son through 4 years of high school. Also having to work at one time 4 jobs, not just down to 2, because I don't have the college degree. I know I can always go and get a college education, but I will have to wait until My son moves out or is able to contribute towards the bills so I don't have to work so much just to get by, and have a few extra dollars at the end of the month. I should have gone much earlier in life, when I didn't have all the "luggage" I do now, nor the rooms of Star Wars stuff that I have to pack up every time I move, and that load seems to get heavier everytime I change residences. There was a time, when everything I owned fit into the back of my 76 Ford Elite, the last time I moved, it took two 16 foot moving trucks, plus many trips in my car and friends cars to move me out. Now I hate to imagine what it would take for me to move again.

One thing I would never change is having my son. He is a blessing that I will never take for granted. I love him, and try to guide him down the right path, but like every path in life, there are forks that we come to, and an occasional bump or two.

But, even with everything I have been through, I have my health, I still have all my teeth, At 42, I still have all my hair, just some of it going gray, I have a wonderful woman to share my life with.

I do wonder that had I not have needed the surgery in paragraph 1, would I still have the intrest in Star Wars as I do now? Would I instead been more of an athlete, or taken an interest in women earlier in life? I guess I will never know.

Kidhuman
03-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I've wondered myself what I would change in my past if I could. There is one thing I would change if it were not medically needed to keep me alive. Back in 1973 I was told by a doctor (and several tests) that I had a bridge between my veins and my arteries in my head. My brain was telling my heart that it wasn't getting enough blood, so my heart was working harder to pump the blood up past the bridge. Doing so caused the Veins and arteries to expand, and thus made my heart work even harder. The doctors told my parents that if I didn't have the surgery, I would die by the time I reached 10 (I was 8 at the time of the surgery). My heart would eventually given out, and I would most likely have a massive heart attack. I have always trusted the doctors, but the surgery left my right side weakend, and not doing the at home therapy after the surgery later in life left me with a limp from years of walking incorrectly instead of stretching my muscles. That in turn left me insecure when asking someone out on a date, and I was always getting picked last for the sports teams throughout my school years. It also gave me an excuse for not doing as well as others in certain sporting events. I got out of doing hurdles for example because I feared I wouldn't be able to get my right leg up and over the hurdle.

Another thing I would have changed was my education. I look at the rich community I live in and wonder if I would be living in one of the nice houses in my town, instead of renting a small two bedroom split level house just so I can get my son through 4 years of high school. Also having to work at one time 4 jobs, not just down to 2, because I don't have the college degree. I know I can always go and get a college education, but I will have to wait until My son moves out or is able to contribute towards the bills so I don't have to work so much just to get by, and have a few extra dollars at the end of the month. I should have gone much earlier in life, when I didn't have all the "luggage" I do now, nor the rooms of Star Wars stuff that I have to pack up every time I move, and that load seems to get heavier everytime I change residences. There was a time, when everything I owned fit into the back of my 76 Ford Elite, the last time I moved, it took two 16 foot moving trucks, plus many trips in my car and friends cars to move me out. Now I hate to imagine what it would take for me to move again.

One thing I would never change is having my son. He is a blessing that I will never take for granted. I love him, and try to guide him down the right path, but like every path in life, there are forks that we come to, and an occasional bump or two.

But, even with everything I have been through, I have my health, I still have all my teeth, At 42, I still have all my hair, just some of it going gray, I have a wonderful woman to share my life with.

I do wonder that had I not have needed the surgery in paragraph 1, would I still have the intrest in Star Wars as I do now? Would I instead been more of an athlete, or taken an interest in women earlier in life? I guess I will never know.

I bet Frett would want to go back in time so he didnt waste 25 of his 30 minutes on tis one post at the library

Tycho
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
It was a very heartfelt and moving post actually. I knew some of the details already, but it takes courage to share this kind of stuff.

I'm glad he did. We're all kind of a family around here (I'm the red-headed step-child) and it's good to get to know each other. I mean heck, we've all talked (tolerated each other) for years.

bobafrett
03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
I bet Frett would want to go back in time so he didnt waste 25 of his 30 minutes on tis one post at the library

It's all good. But your right about one thing, I did post it at the library! I just sort of started rambling, kinda like I do when I speak in real life. But it felt good to share that stuff.

It was a very heartfelt and moving post actually. I knew some of the details already, but it takes courage to share this kind of stuff.

I'm glad he did. We're all kind of a family around here (I'm the red-headed step-child) and it's good to get to know each other. I mean heck, we've all talked (tolerated each other) for years.

Thank you Tycho!

BTW, I'm the perverted uncle in this SSG family!

jedi master sal
03-03-2008, 06:13 PM

Like we didn't already know that, lol.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2008, 07:07 PM
As has been stated, you take the bad experiences and hopefully learn from them. There's really no point in dwelling on the past when you should be looking toward the future and how you can do better.

If I COULD go back, though, I would definitely try not to worry so much about things that never ended up happening; that would have made many things much more enjoyable. As I said, though, I'll just try not to do that anymore.

JediTricks
03-04-2008, 06:51 PM
No, not to get too geeky here but this idea was explored on TNG. There are a few things that I wish I could do differently but in the end everthing that has happened to me has made me the person who I am today. Good, bad or indifferent even a minor change could make a huge difference in me.The difference is, many of us feel like Lt. Picard rather than Capt. Picard already, so pulling on 1 thread of our lives wouldn't unravel the tapestry of our lives the way it did with his.

This damn thread screwed up my head the other day though, I got to thinking how a specific event in my life at 15 changed who I am in so many ways, and I have no idea who I would be now if that event hadn't happened, it's like a loss of self (especially because I'd be even more shy and reserved now if it had gone down that way).

bobafrett
03-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Like we didn't already know that, lol.

Wow, I seem to have inspired a thread, started by Tycho if memory serves.

JimJamBonds
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
The difference is, many of us feel like Lt. Picard rather than Capt. Picard already, so pulling on 1 thread of our lives wouldn't unravel the tapestry of our lives the way it did with his.

Maybe we'd be Sgt Picard instead of Lt. Picard. :p

JediTricks
03-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Maybe we'd be Sgt Picard instead of Lt. Picard. :p
We'd be Jon Picard, trash collector to the stars. :p