PDA

View Full Version : Why Maris Brood...Why?

Sinscia Fat'o
02-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Shaak Ti's padawan, not bad...no film time, but that doesn't bother me. Maybe she'll have a part in the Clone Wars, who knows Lucas and his little film studio...but have you seen the toy?

Honestly i was only going to buy the figure because of Shaak Ti, and i really just didn't like the look of the figure but when i seen this in person i was like wow, not a bad looking figure, and she doesn't even look like a Zabrick...(I'm not a big fan of that race...to many devil looking species in SW.) Though after cracking open the card of this figure, and being spoiled from the rest of the wave...this figure wasn't what i expected.

The paint apps were great, she had shadows and was washed to look like she was dirty...well she hides on Felucia, a juggle planet so it made sense and a nice touch from hasbro, the lightsabers look like night-sticks and had something different and new, something the kiddies would really dig. But what got me was her legs...they didn't move...basically this figure was only half a figure. Why would hasbro put so much time into making a figure look so good from the waste up, even giving the figure SA treatment in her arms and such went in vein for static legs like she got...don't get me wrong this wasn't POTF2 bad, but this figure wasn't TAC great either...just a fair warning to any one thinking your getting something more from this figure.

And as a side note the rest of this wave isn't bad, even the Stormies whom i did not really like aren't bad. The samurai jedi (Name escapes me.) is a great figure! Stand out of the wave in my opinion.

Kidhuman
02-28-2008, 07:27 PM
I agree she is the 2nd worst of this wave. I didnt care for the legs at all. They need more articulation and her waist is in that leaning position.

Old Fossil
02-29-2008, 09:14 AM
The samurai jedi (Name escapes me.) is a great figure! Stand out of the wave in my opinion.

Rahm Kota? That's the only FU figure I planned on buying. Glad to hear your positive assessment.:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
02-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Rahm Kota? That's the only FU figure I planned on buying. Glad to hear your positive assessment.:thumbsup:

You also should get the Shadow Guard. He is real nice. But Rahm Kota is the best of the seven figs in this wave.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-01-2008, 06:44 PM

Kota's figure was really cool, if anyone gets any of the figures from the wave i suggest him, and the shaodw guard is very nifty as well, but of course i like the royal guards so i'm biast :)

Kidhuman
03-01-2008, 07:13 PM
No, the Shadow gurad is he 2nd best of these figures. Rahm is the best:

Rahm
Shadow Guard
Jump Trooper
Evo Trooper
Juno Eclipse
Marris Brood
Vader

I know there are 3 more in the Evo pack, but I dont have those yet

Sinscia Fat'o
03-02-2008, 03:21 PM
LOL, The Vader was pretty bad! I actually thought this figure would be cool when i seen pictures of him, but after cracking it open...OUCH! He's just so clunky. I did enjoy the fact they gave him gold armor to at least make him different.

Kidhuman
03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
The one ting that irritates the hell out of me on Vader is his foot with out the boot is twice the size if the foot with the boot. No other Vader figure is like that, why this one?

El Chuxter
03-02-2008, 07:18 PM
He not only got the s*** kicked out of him, but someone shot his bunion.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Maybe the Rancor stepped on his toes.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Maybe the Rancor stepped on his toes.

Sadly that's what it looks like.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Sadly I can here him screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" lol

Mister Roboto
03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Why Maris Brood...Why?

I'd do her.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Sadly I can here him screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" lol

LOL were's the COMM tech gimmick when you need it! Though the Vader had promise, the sculpt looks great, but when they added the "Battle Damage" they just ruined it, and the foot like you said just looks flat and ackward.
You'd think they would have tried to maybe use reattachable limbs for this instead of pull off armor...anything to cover up those exposed pieces of dullness that this figure turned out to be.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
LOL were's the COMM tech gimmick when you need it! Though the Vader had promise, the sculpt looks great, but when they added the "Battle Damage" they just ruined it, and the foot like you said just looks flat and ackward.
You'd think they would have tried to maybe use reattachable limbs for this instead of pull off armor...anything to cover up those exposed pieces of dullness that this figure turned out to be.

But you see Sinscia, that would have actually made sense for them to do him in the way you suggest. That's why he looks the way he does.

DarkArtist
03-06-2008, 06:50 PM
yeah she is by far one of the worst figures of the line almost like an POTF figure. I'm surprised that they didn't articulate her legs along the lines of Aayla.

figrin bran
04-08-2008, 01:54 AM
I'm surprised that they didn't articulate her legs along the lines of Aayla.

Funny that you should mention that as Aayla's legs can be swapped with Maris'. As I have extra Aaylas from buying several of the Felucia battlepacks, I tried this out tonight.

The only thing is that Aayla's boots look rather plain so I'm going to cut them off and then attach Maris' onto the legs.

jedi master sal
04-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Funny that you should mention that as Aayla's legs can be swapped with Maris'. As I have extra Aaylas from buying several of the Felucia battlepacks, I tried this out tonight.

The only thing is that Aayla's boots look rather plain so I'm going to cut them off and then attach Maris' onto the legs.

Pictures PLEASE!!!!

And how did you seperate Aaylas legs from her without ruining the figure?? And how will you add them to Maris without ruining that figure either??

Oh and Maris's hed fits great on the Juno/Deeana Shan body for another female IMP officer!! Clip off that front tail of hair and she'd make a great Daala or Isard (with a little painting to the head/hair).

-Sal

figrin bran
04-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Pictures PLEASE!!!!

And how did you seperate Aaylas legs from her without ruining the figure?? And how will you add them to Maris without ruining that figure either??

Oh and Maris's hed fits great on the Juno/Deeana Shan body for another female IMP officer!! Clip off that front tail of hair and she'd make a great Daala or Isard (with a little painting to the head/hair).

-Sal

I'll see if I can provide photos tonight. To separate the legs on both figures, all you need to do is the old "boil and pop" method. Soak both figures in some warm to hot water for about a minute to a minute and a half. Then you just pry both legs out of the joint. You should be able to pull them out easily and then pop the Aayla legs into the Maris lower torso joint. It's a perfect fit!

jedi master sal
04-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I'll see if I can provide photos tonight. To separate the legs on both figures, all you need to do is the old "boil and pop" method. Soak both figures in some warm to hot water for about a minute to a minute and a half. Then you just pry both legs out of the joint. You should be able to pull them out easily and then pop the Aayla legs into the Maris lower torso joint. It's a perfect fit!

Hmm, I've never been able to boil and pop the legs. I might just try this. Lord knows I have enough extra Aayla's from that Battle Pack.

The way the current Maris figure is, she's got that slanted hip position like Jabba's Palace dancers did and not much better articulation either. Good sculpt and all, but bad articulation to what could have been an otherwise good figure.

Sinscia Fat'o
04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Hmm, I've never been able to boil and pop the legs. I might just try this. Lord knows I have enough extra Aayla's from that Battle Pack.

The way the current Maris figure is, she's got that slanted hip position like Jabba's Palace dancers did and not much better articulation either. Good sculpt and all, but bad articulation to what could have been an otherwise good figure.

Thats what broke my heart about the figure, it could have been a great figure... Though i'm going to try this boil thing with Aayla and Maris. As I to have a few extra Blue Twliek's laying around.

figrin bran
04-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Sal, if you have problems with the "boil and pop", lmk and I'll try to guide you through it.

As promised, here's a photo of what the figure would like like. Apologies in advance for my lack of photography prowess.

Maris with Aayla's legs (http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/brnder/DSCI0229.jpg)

jedi master sal
04-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Sal, if you have problems with the "boil and pop", lmk and I'll try to guide you through it.

As promised, here's a photo of what the figure would like like. Apologies in advance for my lack of photography prowess.

Maris with Aayla's legs (http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/brnder/DSCI0229.jpg)

Well that looks MUCH better. I'm glad I save my extra Aayla's now.

Yeah figgy, I might need some help on this one. I'll let you know. I won't have time to try this until the weekend but it's a project I'm looking forward to now.

Thanks for that great idea!

-Sal

El Chuxter
04-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Tapdancing Christ, I saw this figure today. It sucks so badly, I couldn't put it down. The suction had bonded itself to my hand. I felt it a better idea to gnaw off my own hand at the wrist so as to not get that piece of carp.

Passed on Rahm Kotha or whatever, and the Imperial woman, too. No sign of S***-Kicked-Out-Of-Him P**** Vader or the army builders.

figrin bran
04-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Well that looks MUCH better. I'm glad I save my extra Aayla's now.

Yeah figgy, I might need some help on this one. I'll let you know. I won't have time to try this until the weekend but it's a project I'm looking forward to now.

Thanks for that great idea!

-Sal

Truth be told, it's not originally my idea but one I read on RS.

Boiling and popping off limbs is one of those things where you have great reservations about before you do it but once you get it done, you'll see how easy it is.

You probably want to try it out on the Aayla first so that you don't accidently ruin the Maris

What I do is I fill up my bathroom sink with hot water and then let the figure soak in it for about a minute. Not knowing how hot the water can get in your home, it doesn't need to be scalding hot - just the maximum amount of heat that you can tolerate for a shower.

Then you drain the water and take the figure out of the sink. At that point, the plastic on the figure should be very rubbery. That is normal so don't think that you've done damage to it. The easiest way to me to pry the legs out are to rotate the leg 180 degrees while simultaneously twisting it outward. You should be able to pry the leg loose with the joint intact that way. If the plastic has cooled too much already then sometimes the joints will break off so make sure you do this while the legs are still warm and rubbery.

When you've done this successfully for both Aayla and Maris, you'll be ready to attach the Aayla legs onto the Maris lower torso joint. To do that, once again, you're going to soak the figure in hot water. You can also just let the water run over it. You're doing this because you want the torso joint to get rubbery and that way you can easily put the legs in. The easiest way to get them in is to put about one half of the leg joint into the socket and then push inwards while simultaneously rotating the leg the same way you'd rotate a crank.

Hopefully this helps you out Sal and anyone else who may have been interested in this endeavor.

On my figure, I actually went ahead and cut off the boots to glue onto the Aayla legs. I'll post pics once I'm done.

jedi master sal
04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Truth be told, it's not originally my idea but one I read on RS.

Boiling and popping off limbs is one of those things where you have great reservations about before you do it but once you get it done, you'll see how easy it is.

You probably want to try it out on the Aayla first so that you don't accidently ruin the Maris

What I do is I fill up my bathroom sink with hot water and then let the figure soak in it for about a minute. Not knowing how hot the water can get in your home, it doesn't need to be scalding hot - just the maximum amount of heat that you can tolerate for a shower.

Then you drain the water and take the figure out of the sink. At that point, the plastic on the figure should be very rubbery. That is normal so don't think that you've done damage to it. The easiest way to me to pry the legs out are to rotate the leg 180 degrees while simultaneously twisting it outward. You should be able to pry the leg loose with the joint intact that way. If the plastic has cooled too much already then sometimes the joints will break off so make sure you do this while the legs are still warm and rubbery.

When you've done this successfully for both Aayla and Maris, you'll be ready to attach the Aayla legs onto the Maris lower torso joint. To do that, once again, you're going to soak the figure in hot water. You can also just let the water run over it. You're doing this because you want the torso joint to get rubbery and that way you can easily put the legs in. The easiest way to get them in is to put about one half of the leg joint into the socket and then push inwards while simultaneously rotating the leg the same way you'd rotate a crank.

Hopefully this helps you out Sal and anyone else who may have been interested in this endeavor.

On my figure, I actually went ahead and cut off the boots to glue onto the Aayla legs. I'll post pics once I'm done.

Thanks for the help. I already knew the procedure, just never seemed to have luck popping off the legs and was always afraid of ruining the figure. Not so with Aayla as I have several of her, so wrecking one won't make a big difference.

jedibear
04-14-2008, 12:23 AM

Your modified version is LIGHT YEARS better...it looks great!
If I ever stumble upon an extra Aayla, I'll have to try it...

Here's a shot of her (factory version)...congrats again on your fine modification!