PDA

View Full Version : If Vampires Are Real, Can They Get Blood Diseases From Choosing The Wrong Victims?

Tycho
02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I was recently pondering what life would be like as a vampire, but if vampires were real, could they get sick from drinking bad blood, like from an AIDS patient? Or would it not affect them because they are already dead?

What if they "turned" an AIDS patient? Would that newly born-again vampire be cured of AIDS?

How about Hepatitis-C, Lukemia, etc?

decadentdave
02-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Negative. Vampires are undead so they are impervious to blood disease, although I would imagine that clean, healthy blood gives them more sustenance than infected, diseased blood.

Check out The Wisdom of the Crocodiles with Jude Law as a modern vampire in London who seduces women and feeds on the love. They must fall in love with him and have the emotion coursing through their veins in order for him to attain sustenance. Without their love, he will die. Very poetic but the ending totally rips off Blade Runner right down to Tears In Rain and nails through the hand.

Lord Malakite
02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
This is a trick question that no one can answer as its entirely up to the author's descretion whether or not they can get diseases. In order to accurately answer this question vampires would actually have to be real, otherwise all answers are purely opinions. ;) If you want a vampire with Hepetitis-C Tycho all you'd have to do is write a book about a vampire getting Hepatitis-C. :D

decadentdave
02-29-2008, 08:07 PM
The same logic would apply to Zombies as well. Undead are undead. What would disease blood do them? They can't die unless they are beheaded or stop feeding or whatever.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
This is a trick question that no one can answer as its entirely up to the author's descretion whether or not they can get diseases. In order to accurately answer this question vampires would actually have to be real, otherwise all answers are purely opinions. ;) If you want a vampire with Hepetitis-C Tycho all you'd have to do is write a book about a vampire getting Hepatitis-C. :D

I sense another Tycho dream thread in the next few days.

decadentdave
02-29-2008, 08:16 PM
In Interview With A Vampire, Kirsten Dunst tricked Louie into drinking from a dead corpse which was poison to him. Perhaps if he drank from someone with AIDS it would have a similar effect. Who knows.

I always believed that vampires have a sixth sense that allow them to tell if the blood of their victims is diseased or not so they can be selective about who they take.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-29-2008, 08:28 PM
In Interview With A Vampire, Kirsten Dunst tricked Louie into drinking from a dead corpse which was poison to him. Perhaps if he drank from someone with AIDS it would have a similar effect. Who knows.

I always believed that vampires have a sixth sense that allow them to tell if the blood of their victims is diseased or not so they can be selective about who they take.

It was actually Lestat that she tricked into drinking the blood Dave. He ended up surviving by drinking the blood of rats for decades, but it left him weak. It wasn't until the end of the movie when he bit Chistian Slater that he was restored to his former self.

decadentdave
02-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Right, Lestat. Haven't watched that film in over a decade.

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 10:59 PM
It entirely depends on the mythology. It may sound like a cop-out, but like Malakite said, it's up to the author.

Qui-Long Gone
02-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Right, Lestat. Haven't watched that film in over a decade.

Throw in another decade to make it worth the effort....

I would think Vampires would be screwed by disceased blood....seeing as how their undeadness is sustained by blood....

stillakid
03-01-2008, 02:33 AM
I think that the mythology of Vampires is already a metaphor for infectious disease. Mere mortals get sick with AIDS and the like. Vampires are cursed with eternal damnation. I would think that a time-limited disease would be more attractive than burning in the fiery depths of Hell. But that's just me.