PDA

View Full Version : I'm having an allergic reaction

El Chuxter
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm swollen up to twice normal size (I think), am covered with itchy hives, and my entire body is red. My throat is raspy. It's not hard to breathe, but I do feel a bit congested.

I already took Benadryl and am drinking copious amounts of water.

The thing is: I expected this to happen. Those Fillet-O-Fish sandwiches were so worth this.

Well, that's it for prepared fish until this time next year.

Qui-Long Gone
02-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Do you suppose the egg on your face has anything to do with the hives?

Tycho
03-01-2008, 12:50 AM
I hope you feel better Chux.

I have a cough and I don't like it.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2008, 01:44 AM
I got some sort of rash or hives on the back of my neck a couple weeks ago and I'm not sure what caused it. I had cut my hair that morning and that night I was double checking in the mirror to see how it looked in the back and that is when I noticed. My first thought was that I had fish that night, but I hadn't noticed anything like that before. Then again, I don't always check the back of my neck. Another thought was that I had just cut my fingernails and perhaps I had been scratching that area. Another thought was that I used my electric razor that I normally shave with to go over that part of the neck when I was cutting my hair.

The next Friday, I had the fish again, and didn't notice the problem. I left off the basil, parsley and black pepper that time. I'll try reintroducing those one at a time when having the fish again. Another thought was that I normally get the Atlantic Salmon from Costco. This time it was Wild Alaska Salmon and it still had the scaly skin on one side. Perhaps the way I cooked it resulted in more exposure to the scales the first time. I don't know.

Whatever it was, I had some Gold Bond powder that I put on it. It had faded some by morning and my collar covered it up while I was at work. By that night it was pretty much gone.

JediTricks
03-01-2008, 02:23 AM
Grotesque dude! And for a filet o fish sandwich, really? I am not a seafood lover, but even I can tell they're kinda "meh", the best part is the tartar sauce. Have you ever considered getting the tartar sauce, bun, and cheese, then buying imitation fish like for vegetarians? They make that sort of thing. I've had the shrimp, it was very good actually, you just have to find the right one. I love the Sausage McMuffin but not the fat or cholesterol, so every day I have a Morningstar Farms sausage patty on an english muffin with a slice o cheese, soooooo good.

Although a lot of stuff can set off my asthma, the only food-based allergic reaction I ever had was to a vegetarian meat substitute called Quorn, it's one of the most innocuous foods ever, made basically a fungus similar to a mushroom, but when I tried it my throat started to close up.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2008, 02:35 AM
When I had the fish the last time, I made my own sort of tartar sauce by putting some pickles in some Miracle Whip.

I like the imitation crab. I had that a lot when I lived with my parents. I don't like real crab and don't eat other shellfish.

I'm not a big fan of sausage either, so I haven't bothered with the Morningstar version, but I have bought their veggie burgers. Lately I've had Boca Burgers instead.

Tycho
03-01-2008, 03:50 AM
Maybe I got mad cow disease and that's why I'm immitating farm animal calls in the shower?

Blue2th
03-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Just curious. Were you eating fish for Lent?

Myself, I like fish so much, it would be very hard for me to give up, even if I was allergic.

El Chuxter
03-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I won't be posting now, as I died yesterday.

Just kidding.

JT, what can I say? I just like me some Filet-O-Fishies. All my food allergies developed in my 20s, and to foods I love (most fish, hazelnuts, pecans, and walnuts). Fish is the one I can somewhat stomach very occasionally. I was allergic to a lot of beans, too, but seem to have "outgrown" it recently.

As for Lent, not particularly, though kinda in a way. Filet-O-Fish sandwiches are cheaper on Fridays during Lent. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
03-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm just fine, thank you. How are you?

Tycho
03-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I inherited Denny's Syndrome from my Grandma.

Denny's Syndrome is a condition that I first catalogued when I discovered I had it.

It is named for the restaurant Denny's, as this is where I formulated my definitive description of the syndrome.

It occurs when you have large, sensitive sinuses and allergic reactions to almost all foods, including tomatoes, eggs, and potatoes. It's hard to imagine going to any restaurant where these items are NOT in abundance.

So when you enter the establishment, you smell everyone's meals and start salivating. This triggers the hystomine response and your nose stuffs up.

You're either an uncomfortable mouth-breather who's headed for severe headaches due to congestion, or you blow your f-n nose! You might use nasal degongestant sprays as well, which you carry on your person. (I actually can very easily get to the point where I hurl if I am not breathing right).

So to be polite, you excuse yourself and sound-off your fog horn (nose blow) in the men's room. This may mean you make 3-4 trips to the bathroom during one restaurant stop:

1) the initial effect of Denny's Syndrome takes you there upon your entrance
2) your food arrives in front of you and reinvigorates the reaction
3) you might actually HAVE to go to the bathroom to do No.1 or No.2
4) you might need to clear your head one last time as you are leaving.

If you do not explain this to your companions, misinterpretations can occur in these situations:

1) your companions think you are soliciting gay sex in the men's room
2) people think you're an alcoholic and you have to drain 3 six-packs
3) people bet you wear Depens for that extra protection
4) a girl you're on a date with, thinks you're text messaging whomever your cheating on

My grandmother uses a wheelchair and a walker now. She can't get up from the table in a restaurant and go to the ladies' room without a nurse's assistance. Consequently, when she sneezes, it is so loud it hurts my eardrums and she does it like 6 or more times (I always sneeze twice when I sneeze). Then she blows her nose like the Titanic sounded a fog horn, right in the middle of a restaurant and deposits the used tissue on the seat next to her (or worse - the table). It is rather embarassing. No one else in my family showed any signs of Denny's Syndrome except myself, but as I am capable, I go to the men's room 3-4 times.

My sinuses are so big that they make contact with my gums and my teeth ache and my eyes close in pain if I let it get bad. I once had to go to the emergency clinic due to not clearing my nose out.

Remember, you can't sniff a Mouse Droid if you can't smell anything!

And knowing is half the battle.

UKWildcat
03-01-2008, 11:43 PM
All my food allergies developed in my 20s, and to foods I love (most fish, hazelnuts, pecans, and walnuts).

That is most interesting. So are you allergic to all tree nuts, or just the ones you listed? What about cashews? One of my nieces is allergic to cashews, and a few other tree nuts, so I know all about that. She found out about a year ago, when she was around 6 years old. Needless to say, it was a horrible experience, bless her heart. I have to be super careful when I buy her candy and sweets now.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
That is most interesting. So are you allergic to all tree nuts, or just the ones you listed? What about cashews? One of my nieces is allergic to cashews, and a few other tree nuts, so I know all about that. She found out about a year ago, when she was around 6 years old. Needless to say, it was a horrible experience, bless her heart. I have to be super careful when I buy her candy and sweets now.

Some peoples alleries to things don't develop until later in life. I never had any problems when I was young, but I had a bad one in 01 that broke me out in hives, swole my eyes shut, and made it very hard for me to breathe. I spent 10 hours in the emergency room patially due to the fact that I had a anxiety attack when I had the reaction due to the fact that I couldn't breathe and I remember at the hospital my heart rate when I first arrived was above 160. I had another one in 02 though not as bad as it just broke me out and swole my eyes. They never were able to figure out what caused it and I have not had one since the last one*knocks on wood*. It's not the funnest thing in the world to go though.

UKWildcat
03-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Some peoples alleries to things don't develop until later in life. I never had any problems when I was young, but I had a bad one in 01 that broke me out in hives, swole my eyes shut, and made it very hard for me to breathe. I spent 10 hours in the emergency room patially due to the fact that I had a anxiety attack when I had the reaction due to the fact that I couldn't breathe and I remember at the hospital my heart rate when I first arrived was above 160. I had another one in 02 though not as bad as it just broke me out and swole my eyes. They never were able to figure out what caused it and I have not had one since the last one*knocks on wood*. It's not the funnest thing in the world to go though.

Well, I was gonna ask you what your allergy was, but you answered that question. Man, thats gotta be scary. Knowing that you are allergic to something, not knowing exactly what it is, and not knowing when you might have a reaction to it. That would be on my conscious every time I ate something or tried something new. Good to hear you haven't had a reaction in some time though. *knocks on wood with ya* :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
03-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Cashews are fine. Pine nuts and macadamias are a problem, but only very slightly.

Thing is, so many people try to be helpful, but think I'm allergic to peanuts. And forget I'm allergic to walnuts and try to give me cookies with tiny walnut pieces and say they're okay since they don't have nuts.

bobafrett
03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I once drove to a Denny's drunk, went in alone, was seated, ordered my meal, went in the bathroom and threw up, sat down and was served my Grand Slam breakfast, and ate and waited until I sobered up.

I'm not allergic to anything that I know of.

Tycho
03-02-2008, 06:36 PM
I did that many times, BobaFrett - recently too - except I was NOT drunk.

Yup. I'm really good at throwing up for no good reason at all any more. :rolleyes: