PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think "Outing" Of Prince Harry In Afghanistan Was A Conspiracy?

Tycho
03-01-2008, 11:06 AM
It is tradition for the Royals to serve in the British Armed Forces, but they are at war right now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So Harry goes over there in secret and does his duty for a few months. Then either he wants to come home, or it was always the plan, to have the media reveal he was deployed.

So now they take him out of harm's way and he gets to go home.

Convenient, isn't it?

mtriv73
03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Didn't one of them fight in the Falklands also (not anyone directly in line for the throne, but someone in the family?) Of course that didn't even last as long as Harry was seeing action.

I don't know if it was a conspiracy or just the media making yet another bad decision, overstepping, and placing real people in even more risk than they were in before (like the Valerie Plame leak.) To me at least, that kind of behavior by the media-done only to increase ratings or circulation and not because it gives any real news the public can use- is reprehensible.

I'm going to stop there so this doesn't get tossed in the rancor pit, but I really don't appreciate that type of reporting.

bigbarada
03-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Supposedly all the main news organizations knew that Harry was in Afghanistan, but were wise enough to not report it because they knew it would just be endangering lives. It was one of the typical, irresponsible, internet "news" sites that leaked the information. Then it started spreading around on Islamic websites. Anyways that's what I've heard.

Tycho
03-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes it came out first on The Drudge Report.

El Chuxter
03-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Do you think I "give a carp"?

Tycho
03-01-2008, 10:14 PM
A carp is a fish. I doubt you have one to give.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-01-2008, 10:16 PM
How do you know he doesn't have one to give? Maybe he keeps them on hand Tycho.

Tycho
03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
You can't keep one on hand, Kal-El. It's a fish. You have to keep it in water!

TeeEye7
03-01-2008, 10:39 PM
A carp in the hand is worth two....er, no, that's not it.....:Ponder:

UKWildcat
03-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I used to catch mud carp at a lake in Kentucky. Those suckers are hard as hell to catch/reel in. They are huge, put up a good fight and love to dig into the dirt, only frustrating the unlikely capture. Needless to say, keeping one "on hand' would be quite a chore. But I wouldn't put anything past Chux, he is a manly beast. :lipsrsealed:

Jedi_Kal-El
03-02-2008, 01:23 AM
You can't keep one on hand, Kal-El. It's a fish. You have to keep it in water!

Sure you could Tycho. Though I doubt the smell would be too pleasant after too long.

mtriv73
03-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Goldfish are carp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish). He might have a few of those.

Maybe we should all mail Matt Drudge a box of big brown carp to show our appreciation for his journalistic integrity.:rolleyes:

jjreason
03-02-2008, 07:48 AM
His uncle, Prince Andrew, was the last British Royal to fight - he flew helicopters in the Falklands conflict back in the 1980s.

I don't know if it was a conspiracy or not - I think sending him over there in the first place was a horrible endangerment of his teammates. Just because the Prince wants to go doesn't make it a good idea.

Tycho
03-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Why do they call his father PRINCE Charles? Is it because Queen Elizabeth (his mother, Harry's grandmother) is still alive?

When she dies, does Charles start being referred to as King Charles?

Jedi_Kal-El
03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Why do they call his father PRINCE Charles? Is it because Queen Elizabeth (his mother, Harry's grandmother) is still alive?

When she dies, does Charles start being referred to as King Charles?

Actually from what I've heard I believe William will be next in line for king. Don't ask me how that works.

Blue2th
03-02-2008, 11:33 AM
It is a British tradition for young men to go out into the world and prove their courage, make a name for themselves before coming back to England deserving the honor and respect of the upper class.
It has been going on for centuries.

This is portrayed in a few movies like "The Four Feathers" (original one) or even docudramas like "Young Winston"

This is true of some Americans also, at least up to WWII, where you had celebrities and famous families sons going off to war, and even dying like Joe Kennedy, all to prove their courage and at the same time their status.

Who knows though, the British Royals may have leaked this to give them a reason to bring him home, at the same time allowing Harry to publicly make a name for himself. It's a win win situation, and the media (whatever that means) gets blamed.

Tycho
03-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Who knows though, the British Royals may have leaked this to give them a reason to bring him home, at the same time allowing Harry to publicly make a name for himself. It's a win win situation, and the media (whatever that means) gets blamed.

That's exactly what I'm wondering.

2-1B
03-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Prince Harry is gay ? I never suspected that.

Tycho
03-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Prince Harry is gay ? I never suspected that.

Yes. He went over there because he thought he had a date with Afghan Stan.

He must have misheard them.

JimJamBonds
03-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Harry's unit was to go to Iraq without him because the Ministry of Defense said it was too dangerous but that didn't happen. There was an agrement with the British press not to say anything about Harry being deployed and apparently is was reported on American, Australian and (insert another country) websites that he was over there.

I don't think it was a conspiracy at all, it was too dangerous for him to still be there, although if he wants to serve let him serve, he did go to Sandhurst and all. And besides its not like you really do anything if you are a 'royal.'

Jargo
03-02-2008, 01:52 PM
just an insidious ploy to get a wayward royal a reputation as hero instead of drunken coke snorting embarassment. I don't believe they were ever in danger or deployed anywhere near a danger zone. I think it was staged and Harry is still a jerk.
the only comment from the queen on the subject is that the weather conditions in Afghanistan are rather harsh. while Prince Charles blathered on about how prowd he and how worthy Harry is now while never looking at the reporter or camera and expressing himself with emotional leagage that showed him to be lying.

JimJamBonds
03-04-2008, 08:51 PM
just an insidious ploy to get a wayward royal a reputation as hero instead of drunken coke snorting embarassment.

Don't forget he likes to dress up like Hitler at costume parties!:thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Don't forget he likes to dress up like Hitler at costume parties!:thumbsup:

I hear that's still a popular costume over there. But don't quote me on that.

JimJamBonds
03-04-2008, 09:03 PM
I hear that's still a popular costume over there. But don't quote me on that.

I recently saw some pics of soccer players dressed up as Nazi's (not sure if they were British or not).

Blue2th
03-05-2008, 01:06 AM
A subtle or not so subtle way of appearing superior.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I recently saw some pics of soccer players dressed up as Nazi's (not sure if they were British or not).
Maybe they were all just excited for Indiana Jones 4?