PDA

View Full Version : Vintage OTC figures?

Agent23
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Not sure if this is in the right section of the forums or not (if its not, I'm sorry and a mod can move it if they want).

I was wondering if Hasbro is still doing the VINTAGE Original Trilogy Collection?

(the ones from a couple years ago on the old card, the George Lucas Storm Trooper mail-away series)....

Did they ever do any Prequel VINTAGE style?

And, finally does someone have a list or a link to where I can see what ones were made. And, if they are still doing them a link to new ones coming out.

Thanks in advance. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
03-02-2008, 01:53 AM
There were 12 VOTC figures in 2004

ANH
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Princess Leia

ESB
C-3PO
Darth Vader
Lando Calrissian
Yoda

ROTJ
Boba Fett
Chewbacca
R2-D2
Stormtrooper

There were 5 Vintage Style figures in The Saga Collection of 2006

Biker Scout (ROTJ)
Greedo (ANH)
Han Solo Endor Trenchcoat (ROTJ)
Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot (ANH)
Tusken Raider (ANH)

There were 6 Vintage Style figures in the 30th Anniversary Collection of 2007

Bossk (ESB)
Han Solo Hoth (ESB)
IG-88 (ESB)
Luke Skywalker Bespin (ESB)
Princess Leia Endor (ROTJ)
Snowtrooper (ESB)

There are none planned for 2008, but they could return at some point in the future. Since there weren't prequels, it probably wouldn't make sense to do Vintage Prequel figures. We are getting some quality prequel figures in the Evolutions sets this year, which is what Hasbro is focusing on this year instead of the Vintage Style line.

bigbarada
03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Go to the Rebelscum photo archives to see most of them; but I can give you a quick breakdown here:

2004 - VOTC (Vintage Original Trilogy Collection) (http://www.rebelscum.com/OTCvintage.asp):
1. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars card)
2. Princess Leia (Star Wars card)
3. Ben Kenobi (Star Wars card)
4. Han Solo (Star Wars card)
5. Darth Vader (ESB card)
6. Lando Calrissian (ESB card)
7. Yoda (ESB card)
8. See-Threepio (ESB card)
9. Chewbacca (ROTJ card)
10. Artoo-Detoo (ROTJ card)
11. Boba Fett (ROTJ card)
12. Stormtrooper (ROTJ card)

12" figures in Star Wars box (http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC12inch.asp):
1. Luke Skywalker
2. Stormtrooper
3. Boba Fett
4. Chewbacca (I think this one was a KB exclusive)

2006 - VTSC (Vintage The Saga Collection) (http://www.rebelscum.com/TSCvintage.asp):
1. Greedo (Star Wars card)
2. Tusken Raider (Star Wars card)
3. Luke X-Wing (Star Wars card)
4. Biker Scout (ROTJ card)
5. Han Solo Trenchcoat (ROTJ card)
6. George Lucas Stormtrooper (mail-in figure)

2007 - VTAC (Vintage 30th-Anniversary Collection) (http://www.rebelscum.com/TACvintage.asp):
1. Bossk (ESB card)
2. IG-88 (ESB card)
3. Snowtrooper (ESB card)
4. Han Solo Hoth (ESB card)
5. Luke Bespin (ESB card)
6. Princess Leia Combat Poncho (ROTJ card)

There were no vintage style figures in 2005 and none planned for 2008, but Hasbro says that they do hope to "revisit" the line in the future sometime.

Also, there have never been any vintage-style prequel figures made. I think Hasbro plans to keep it as a tribute to the original Kenner line, so they're focusing on the original 96 Kenner figures.

bigbarada
03-02-2008, 02:02 AM
We were typing up our lists at the exact same time MSP. :D

But you forgot the 12" vintage figures from 2004. Plus I provided links, so there.:p

Agent23
03-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

So, what are the Evolutions figures all about?

Mad Slanted Powers
03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Evolutions are 3-packs that show the evolution of a character or type of character. These figures tend to be pretty good quality with lots of articulation. In 2005 we had:

Anakin to Darth Vader: Anakin from Episode II, Episode III, and Darth Vader.
The Sith: Darth Maul, Count Dooku and Darth Sidious
Clone Trooper to Stormtrooper: Episode II Clone, Episode III Clone, Sandtrooper (there was a color variation in this set)

This year they have re-released those sets, plus there are four more that are currently out:

Sith Legacy: Darth Nihilus, Darth Bane, Darth Maul
Fett Legacy: Mandalore, Jango Fett, Boba Fett
Jedi Legacy: Qui-Gon Jinn, Bultar Swan, Luke Skywalker (New Jedi Order)
Force Unleashed: Three variations on the Vader's secret apprentice from the upcoming video game

The 2005 ones are listed at: http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTSevolutions.asp

This years are listed at: http://www.rebelscum.com/TACevolutions.asp

Later this year, there is going to be a Padmé Evolution that has her Episode I pre-senate outfit, Episode II arena outfit, and Episode III nightgown outfit. There are also a couple Rebel Pilot sets and an Imperial Pilots set coming. There are some pictures of this years sets mixed in with some Battle Pack pictures here (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=5554).

Old Fossil
03-02-2008, 03:53 PM
They seriously need to revisit this concept next year. A great wave would be

1. The Emperor
2. Gamorrean Guard
3. Admiral Ackbar
4. Han Solo (Bespin)
5. Luke Skywalker (Hoth)
6. TIE Fighter Pilot

Qui-Long Gone
03-02-2008, 08:54 PM

1. The Emperor
2. Gamorrean Guard
3. Admiral Ackbar
4. Han Solo (Bespin)
5. Luke Skywalker (Hoth)
6. TIE Fighter Pilot

Agreed: change out Luke Hoth for Luke final throne room duel (black glove please!), and Han Bespin must include carbonite!

General_Grievous
03-05-2008, 04:05 PM

1. The Emperor
2. Gamorrean Guard
3. Admiral Ackbar
4. Han Solo (Bespin)
5. Luke Skywalker (Hoth)
6. TIE Fighter Pilot

Switch out the TIE Fighter Pilot for Wicket and Hoth Luke for Walrus Man/Ponda Baba and it would be a perfect wave.

Qui-Long, I don't think they could release Throne Room Luke under the "Vintage" banner, as they didn't make a Throne Room Luke in the Vintage line. The vintage ROTJ Luke was based on what he wore at Jabba's Palace.

Old Fossil
03-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Wicket would be a great choice, but I figured this imaginary wave is already ROTJ-heavy, and with no ANH figs representin'. I suppose Walrus Man could suffice, or possibly a Death Squad Commander. Actually I think I like the idea of the latter, instead of the TIE Pilot. That way there would be

2 main "hero" characters
1 evil leader
1 Imperial army-builder
1 cool alien Rebel
1 cool alien thug

They could also add a silver Death Star Droid to the mix! That was a very cool, almost iconic vintage cardback.

bigbarada
03-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Agreed: change out Luke Hoth for Luke final throne room duel (black glove please!), and Han Bespin must include carbonite!

Well, the point (and the limitation) of the vintage-style line is that versions of figures are intended to match their vintage counterparts. Since Bespin Han never included the carbonite block on the Kenner figure, then it wouldn't work to put the carbonite block on the vintage style version. Plus, a DS2 Luke was never made by Kenner thus wouldn't fit in this line unless Hasbro was willing to expand the concept.

jjreason
03-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Bespin Han, Hoth Leia & Hoth Luke are SCREAMING to be released in this format.

Carbonite Han was a separate vintage figure, so my preference would be to have him released as well.... but not until those other 3 versions of the main characters are taken care of.

I miss the vintage versions already - these were the highlights of my collecting for the past 3 years. :upset:

Devil King
03-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I also really miss these figures. But what I don't miss is the 10 to 12 dollar price point. Hasbro is producing the 25th G.I Joes that have slightly more articulation and are packaged on vintage cards, and they're between 5 and 7 bucks. I've never bought the idea that double-digit prices were because of the clam shells either. And what was up with the third wave being sealed in the clam shells? Those things were harder to open than a pack of batteries.

Old Fossil
03-13-2008, 01:36 PM
And what was up with the third wave being sealed in the clam shells? Those things were harder to open than a pack of batteries.

That was to prevent somebody swiping the UGH redemption certificate without buying the figure, if I recall.

timmae
03-14-2008, 07:23 PM
I also really miss these figures. But what I don't miss is the 10 to 12 dollar price point. Hasbro is producing the 25th G.I Joes that have slightly more articulation and are packaged on vintage cards, and they're between 5 and 7 bucks. I've never bought the idea that double-digit prices were because of the clam shells either. And what was up with the third wave being sealed in the clam shells? Those things were harder to open than a pack of batteries.
i miss the figures too, a real stellar type figure. the first couple waves i picked and chose which ones i bough. then was suckered into the mail away and bought them all in the last 2 waves. yeah 5 bucks for the clamshell. what your forgetting is the rare foil/diecut inserted card...that must have set hasbro back at least 1-2 cents extra per figure.

Qui-Long Gone
03-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Has anyone done a quick poll rating the best VOTC figures?

I never got the ANH Solo and I hear that figure's stellar.....

I have been impressed with the troopers: Biker, Snow, regular....and I like the Boba Fett (with a head more in scale perhaps)...

TheRealDubya
03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
I miss the vintage versions already - these were the highlights of my collecting for the past 3 years. :upset:

You said it. Unfortunately, I think we're in the minority. The arrival of the VOTC got me back into collecting, and the departure of the Vintage subline will likely signal the end of my most recent run. But hey, I had lots of fun. If they bring it back, they'll bring me back with it.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-25-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm sure it will be back at some point. They skipped 2005 and came back in 2006. We have the Evolutions sets in their place now, and those are giving us some nice figures. They may skip more than one year this time, but I'd expect to see another wave by 2010.

TheRealDubya
03-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm sure it will be back at some point. They skipped 2005 and came back in 2006. We have the Evolutions sets in their place now, and those are giving us some nice figures. They may skip more than one year this time, but I'd expect to see another wave by 2010.

I hope you're right, but I kind of, er, have a bad feeling about this.

And I agree -- the Evo line has produced some excellent figures, and are a nice price point bargain.

TheRealDubya
03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
So I was just listening to the SWAN podcast and they posed a VOTC question to Hasbro.

Sounds like there is a thin chance that these will be back in 2009, probably definitely back for 2010. However, they pretty much confirmed that the "VOTC" title will no longer be applicable since the line will no longer be limited to OTC. Boo.

Here's the response:

"We admit that with everything going on we do not have an answer on Vintage. Note, that we are not calling it "VOTC" since when it returns it will likely encompass more than the OTC. We are very passionate about the line as well and are looking for a way to have it return in '09, but we don't want to get hopes up that we will actually be able to get it in."

bigbarada
03-29-2008, 11:19 PM
You said it. Unfortunately, I think we're in the minority. The arrival of the VOTC got me back into collecting, and the departure of the Vintage subline will likely signal the end of my most recent run. But hey, I had lots of fun. If they bring it back, they'll bring me back with it.

I'm a part of that minority as well. No vintage line for 2008 means that I'm sitting out most of the year. So far, only the ROTJ wave, the A-Wing and the new Ten Nunb figure has sparked my interest.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm a part of that minority as well. No vintage line for 2008 means that I'm sitting out most of the year. So far, only the ROTJ wave, the A-Wing and the new Ten Nunb figure has sparked my interest.

I'll be sitting right next to you bigB! I have my OTC vintage all hung up along the top of my walls and I look at them lovingly, and get sad knowing that they won't be around this year :( I also have a horrible feeling that we won't be seeing them again.

Devil King
03-30-2008, 02:51 PM
"We admit that with everything going on we do not have an answer on Vintage. Note, that we are not calling it "VOTC" since when it returns it will likely encompass more than the OTC. We are very passionate about the line as well and are looking for a way to have it return in '09, but we don't want to get hopes up that we will actually be able to get it in."

Oh, good. I assume this person is a Hasbro representative of some sort? I've always loved it when a rep says "We LOVE it too, that's why we aren't making them anymore!" I think it might have something to do with the third wave STILL hanging on pegs. And that has everything to do with the pricepoint. They're gone from the Wal-Marts, but the KB's and TRU's shelves are still fairly well stocked, and that's because they're 15 bucks a pop....still.

Old Fossil
03-30-2008, 08:26 PM
They're gone from the Wal-Marts, but the KB's and TRU's shelves are still fairly well stocked, and that's because they're 15 bucks a pop....still.

Holy moly! Is that at KB? I've never seen them offered for that much at retail. How absurd.:(

TheRealDubya
04-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh, good. I assume this person is a Hasbro representative of some sort? I've always loved it when a rep says "We LOVE it too, that's why we aren't making them anymore!" I think it might have something to do with the third wave STILL hanging on pegs. And that has everything to do with the pricepoint. They're gone from the Wal-Marts, but the KB's and TRU's shelves are still fairly well stocked, and that's because they're 15 bucks a pop....still.

Yeah, I think they need to drop the clamshell, strip it down to the GI Joe style and get the price point down to $7.00ish. That will drive sales better.

Also, if I am reading Hasbro's response right, we're going to see "vintage style carded" Prequel characters. I'm fine with that, so long as they continue to put OTC characters on the vintage cards at the same time. And someone on the otheRSite had a great comment -- that basically this would open the door, to essentially "new" Vintage styled OT character cards (DSII Luke, Myo, Hoth Chewbacca, Han Stormtrooper, Tarkin, Rebel Fleet Trooper, etc) in much the same was as the GI Joe 25th line presented the (great, I think) oppurtunity to indivdually card figures that had not received that treatment the first time around (Serpentor, HISS Driver, Zartan, etc.) Could be great, if they play it right.

bigbarada
04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I think they need to drop the clamshell, strip it down to the GI Joe style and get the price point down to $7.00ish. That will drive sales better.

Also, if I am reading Hasbro's response right, we're going to see "vintage style carded" Prequel characters. I'm fine with that, so long as they continue to put OTC characters on the vintage cards at the same time. And someone on the otheRSite had a great comment -- that basically this would open the door, to essentially "new" Vintage styled OT character cards (DSII Luke, Myo, Hoth Chewbacca, Han Stormtrooper, Tarkin, Rebel Fleet Trooper, etc) in much the same was as the GI Joe 25th line presented the (great, I think) oppurtunity to indivdually card figures that had not received that treatment the first time around (Serpentor, HISS Driver, Zartan, etc.) Could be great, if they play it right.

Ditching the clamshell, adding a J-hook, and bringing down the price will also open the line up for rereleases. There's no need to make a new Amanaman, but it would be awesome to have the POTJ figure rereleased on a vintage-style card. It wouldn't even have to be a POTF card, they could put him on a ROTJ card.

I would absolutely love to see figures like an all-new Grand Moff Tarkin, a Sandtrooper and Dr. Evazan on vintage, "12-back," style cards.

TheRealDubya
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Ditching the clamshell, adding a J-hook, and bringing down the price will also open the line up for rereleases. There's no need to make a new Amanaman, but it would be awesome to have the POTJ figure rereleased on a vintage-style card. It wouldn't even have to be a POTF card, they could put him on a ROTJ card.

Absolutely -- same goes for any number of already great sculpts:

FX-7
R5-D4
Luke in Endor Battle Poncho
Imperial Commander (possibly repaint of Veers, sans armor?)
Death Star Commander (Repaint of the TAC figure)
Luke Stormtrooper (repaint of comic pack figure)
Bren Derlin (as Rebel Commander, Hoth)
Han Solo Bespin (Slight retool of previous SA Han components)
Hammerhead
Squidhead (Tessek)
Snaggletooth (Zutton)
Barada
Leia Boussh
A-Wing Pilot
Walrusman (retool or, ideally, new sculpt)
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight (Saga/OTC figure)
Twin Cloud Car Pilot
AT-AT Driver
AT-AT Commander (Veers, re-release)
TIE Fighter Pilot
Jawa (TAC version)
Death Star Droid (Silver repaint of current RA-7 figure)

So on and so forth -- it'd be a great way for them to keep popular figures in circulation and appeal to the vintage collector. I don't think we're that picky and I think the support would be there for these figures, and many kids would want these figures for the first time.

I would absolutely love to see figures like an all-new Grand Moff Tarkin, a Sandtrooper and Dr. Evazan on vintage, "12-back," style cards.

Totally agree. If they went this direction, it would open the line WAY up. This year's Yarna, Han Stormtrooper, Kabe, Myo, Feltpern, Dannik Jeriko, Garindan, Bacta Luke, Skiff Battle Han Solo, Bane Malar, Nabrien Lieds...it could go on and on.

Fingers crossed!

bigbarada
04-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Absolutely -- same goes for any number of already great sculpts:

FX-7
R5-D4
Luke in Endor Battle Poncho
Imperial Commander (possibly repaint of Veers, sans armor?)
Death Star Commander (Repaint of the TAC figure)
Luke Stormtrooper (repaint of comic pack figure)
Bren Derlin (as Rebel Commander, Hoth)
Han Solo Bespin (Slight retool of previous SA Han components)
Hammerhead
Squidhead (Tessek)
Snaggletooth (Zutton)
Barada
Leia Boussh
A-Wing Pilot
Walrusman (retool or, ideally, new sculpt)
Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight (Saga/OTC figure)
Twin Cloud Car Pilot
AT-AT Driver
AT-AT Commander (Veers, re-release)
TIE Fighter Pilot
Jawa (TAC version)
Death Star Droid (Silver repaint of current RA-7 figure)

So on and so forth -- it'd be a great way for them to keep popular figures in circulation and appeal to the vintage collector. I don't think we're that picky and I think the support would be there for these figures, and many kids would want these figures for the first time.

Totally agree. If they went this direction, it would open the line WAY up. This year's Yarna, Han Stormtrooper, Kabe, Myo, Feltpern, Dannik Jeriko, Garindan, Bacta Luke, Skiff Battle Han Solo, Bane Malar, Nabrien Lieds...it could go on and on.

Fingers crossed!

A few of those on your rerelease list I would ideally like to see completely remade in SA form, primarily the Death Star Droid and Barada; but I agree with the idea. It almost sounds like we're asking for some kind of merging of the vintage-style line and Saga Legends and in a way I guess that's exactly what we're asking for.

I think Hasbro had a great idea in the beginning with the vintage-style line, but then they went too far with the concept and ultimately doomed it to a short lifespan. The idea of replica vintage cards was cool at the time, but if it's come down to re-imaging the vintage-style line or canceling it altogether, then I would prefer to see the concept evolve into something that can survive a few more years.

Old Fossil
05-13-2008, 11:05 AM
The recent Hasbro Q&A with Mousedroid.com hinted that the Death Star Trooper might be revisited for a possible vintage release.

Devil King
05-29-2008, 12:43 AM
That would be cool. And while they're at it, we need:

The Emperor
Jawa
Death Squad Commander
TIE Fighter Pilot
Jedi Luke
Bib Fortuna
Gamorrean Guard
Lobot
R5-D4
Hammerhead
Panda Baba
Royal Guard
Hoth Rebel
Endor Rebel
Wicket
Weequay
General Lando
Bith
Governor Tarkin

And I'd be pretty much satisfied -@ no more than 7 bucks a pop.