PDA

View Full Version : What's your version of nails on a chalkboard?

CaptainSolo1138
03-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Someone mentioned this in the thread about playing with your mouth snot and I realized that a lot of people cringe at a lot of different things.

What's the one thing that makes you raise your shoulders and grimace? For me, I hate even thinking of biting down on a piece of sand or something in my back molars. Just imagining the gritty sensation gives me goosebumps.

Exhaust Port
03-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Touching foam padding. No idea why but grabbing that stuff gives me chills. There something about the surface of it on my skin. Ugh.

Tycho
03-03-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't like it when people with bad breath stand too close to me when talking. I think I'll catch a disease from them and their germs.

I always carry a pack of Tri-Dent (safer for your teeth than sugar-filled mint candy, and longer-lasting than breath "strips") so that when I'm in public I don't offend.

Sometimes when you eat food or drink beer with a strong flavor, you want to savor that, though. I understand. Then stay away from people until the flavor dies and you are comfortable using a new piece of gum.

It's harder when you have company spend the night. Of course it's romantic in the movies when a couple kisses good morning. I myself will at least then keep mint-strips by the bed on a night stand, and since I don't sleep well and am usually awake first, rinse my mouth with Listerine as soon as I'm awake. I'd rather a girl did the same, then got back in bed if there was anything else to go on that morning. I am not married and couldn't stand to be. It's easy to be "perfect company" when you only spend nights after dates together. But day after day? I've been on vacations with girlfriends that have seemed too long.

El Chuxter
03-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Metal scraping, especially knives being sharpened or scraping against a fork.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-03-2008, 09:14 AM
During the colder weather, or just after washing my hands, I don't like the feel of paper against them. I recall in elementary school pulling my sleeve up a bit to cover my hand while I wrote so my hand wouldn't touch the paper. It also makes it hard to get a good grip on the toilet paper when trying to wipe.

TeeEye7
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Snot/boogers/loogies.

When we pepper spray someone and they've got that two-foot snotcicle hanging from their nose....well...that gets the gag reflex going. The only thing that suppresses that, is the fact that the guy is crying like a little girl and it acts as a distraction.

Tycho
03-03-2008, 09:46 AM
That's cool Tee-Eye! Now I know to buy some pepper-spray and use it on myself if I really want to get this snotball I'm crafting to some historic proportions. Oh I'll be careful and close my eyes. It will still work, right?

I mean I'll get the 2 foot long loogie to add to my collection?

Rocketboy
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Putting paper/cardboard in the mouth. I don't mean eating it, but rather when your hands are full and you need that one slip of paper, so you put it in your mouth.

Jargo
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
biting down on a piece of meat and it's got that unchewable gristle in it. and it makes that squeaky noise like if you bite an eraser. sort of a crunch but wet and like windshield wipers against damp glass when there's not enough rain to justify using the wipers but you switch em on anyway. any substance of that nature is just nasty.

anything high pitched like when you pass through store security gates and a tag sets off the alarm. or womens voices when they get excited and start reaching shrill megadecibels. or kids screaming coz they're overtired. or speaker feedback. electric guitars or someone hitting a snare drum that's been tuned really high. the whistle from a dentists drill on teeth. the scream from certain fireworks as they shoot into the sky. emergency vehicle sirens.

I guess it's a certain sound frequency that does it to me. or anything above a certain frequency. it just hurts my ears and makes me screw up my face in pain and disgust.

TeeEye7
03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
That's cool Tee-Eye! Now I know to buy some pepper-spray and use it on myself if I really want to get this snotball I'm crafting to some historic proportions. Oh I'll be careful and close my eyes. It will still work, right?

I mean I'll get the 2 foot long loogie to add to my collection?

Maybe if you buy the wimpy stuff (less than 10% oleoresin capsicum). The stuff we used not only inflames all mucus membranes (eyes, nose, throat), but it also gives what seem to be almost the equivalent of a first degree burn to the skin (not quite, though) for a while. I forget the Scovill rating on it but it's horrible! I've been subjected to it more than I care to admit. Once it's on your clothing, face, hands, etc. it takes about 45 minutes to an hour for the effects to begin to dissipate. Just being around someone with their clothes contaminated with it causes a lot of discomfort. Many of us exposed to it will take up to two days for the effects to completely cease.

I wouldn't recommend playing with it, Tycho, especially if you have any type of respiratory problems. I'm betting your response is meant in jest. I have to post the admonishment, just in case you're feeling creative. I would stick to mouse droids.

Tycho
03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I like to post the strangest stuff I can make up. But I did give an update on my loogie-ball. It's drying up and shrinking, so there's no cause to do this anyway.

I will now concentrate on obtaining a live elephant and painting it pink. I have no idea why, either.

bigbarada
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Whenever I'm getting into a car or truck and my fingernail accidentally scrapes against the paint. It actually makes me nauseous. I keep my nails trimmed short to avoid that at all costs.

Also loud bass from music or movies drives me nuts. Mainly when it's from an adjoining apartment and it's rattling the whole building or some stupid teenager driving by blasting their music. I think it's more of a disgust at the total lack of consideration for others than it is the sound itself.

Tycho
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Also loud bass from music or movies drives me nuts. Mainly when it's from an adjoining apartment and it's rattling the whole building or some stupid teenager driving by blasting their music. I think it's more of a disgust at the total lack of consideration for others than it is the sound itself.

I think it's your heart-rate that tries to sync with the bass, and it causes you to feel stressed and uncomfortable. I relate to and totally sympathize with this.

I think we had a thread a while back about who thinks "silence is golden." I know I do.

Jargo
03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
I love bass sounds. I have my speakers set up to vibrate the floor. turn down the treble and turn up the bass. I used to go stand near the bass speakers in clubs to feel it all. feeling music for real is a buzz. nothing worse than the thin reedy tinny tones of a radio broadcast. gimme the bass dude gimme the freakin bass.

and not no damn seabass foo'!

bobafrett
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
The old man sitting next to me in the library just leaned to one side, and let one rip. I should have just gone home after work today.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
The old man sitting next to me in the library just leaned to one side, and let one rip. I should have just gone home after work today.
But at least you got a story out of it.

There's a certain type of couch that I cannot stand to touch. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it just feels "dusty" or something. When I touch it (as I did at a furniture store a few weeks ago) my throat tenses up and everything feels dry, and I end up hacking. It's damn weird.

Kidhuman
03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Things getting udner finger nails. I hate it. It skeeves me to no freakin end. Also, biting into the wooden spoons that come with Italian Ices, I hate that. Just got chills from thinking about it.

CaptainSolo1138
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
There's a certain type of couch that I cannot stand to touch. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it just feels "dusty" or something. When I touch it (as I did at a furniture store a few weeks ago) my throat tenses up and everything feels dry, and I end up hacking. It's damn weird.I believe that's that microfiber stuff. I agree with you on that it feels kinda creepy, but once you have kids you'll come to appreciate that stuff.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-03-2008, 06:46 PM
more than the snot thing, the feeling of being sticky = a HUGE phobia for me! I can't bare to even see someone, like a baby for instance, have sticky ick all over them. *shudder

TeeEye7
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Like Lanny Jr.? ;)

Jedi_Kal-El
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
more than the snot thing, the feeling of being sticky = a HUGE phobia for me! I can't bare to even see someone, like a baby for instance, have sticky ick all over them. *shudder

So hanging out with Tycho would be out of the question for ya, eh Ox?

2-1B
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
People eating popcorn in the movie theater. :dead:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Combining that last thought with Deoxy's sticky-phobia, I don't like it when there are sticky floors at the movie theater.

Tycho
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Combining that last thought with Deoxy's sticky-phobia, I don't like it when there are sticky floors at the movie theater.

Oh yeah. That is kind of gross.

Kidhuman
03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Slickers Mom, when she smiles and licks her lips.

figrin bran
03-03-2008, 09:40 PM
- Improperly tuned guitars (yes, I do play and have quasi semi perfect pitch)

- USC Trojans fight song

- Donkey from Shrek

JediTricks
03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Nails on a chalkboard, actually. Even thinking about it is bothering me. The only thing worse is fork on plate, my reaction is so bad it's almost a seizure, I usually have to stop and close my eyes and recenter myself for a few seconds.

Whenever I'm getting into a car or truck and my fingernail accidentally scrapes against the paint. It actually makes me nauseous. I keep my nails trimmed short to avoid that at all costs.Ugh, even reading that made me wince. Touching anything like coarse-frosted glass really bothers me as well.

more than the snot thing, the feeling of being sticky = a HUGE phobia for me! I can't bare to even see someone, like a baby for instance, have sticky ick all over them. *shudderIs this the reason to why you're a lesbianite? ;)

- Improperly tuned guitars (yes, I do play and have quasi semi perfect pitch) Oh man, I don't play but otherwise it's exactly the same with me down to the semi-perfect pitch. I had to go to a recital at my niece's 5th grade violin class, when they were tuning up it was like a violation of the geneva convention.

UKWildcat
03-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I hate the sound and the (mostly mental now) feel of a person folding a piece of paper; when they pinch the paper with their thumb and index finger (or middle finger) and drag it across the piece of paper creating the crease. I can not do it myself anymore, and when I see someone do that, and hear that *whisp* sound, I about loose it. Construction paper used to be the worst because of how thick it was, lots of friction. This is definitely my "nails on a chalkboard" reaction.

El Chuxter
03-04-2008, 12:18 AM
If we're not just talking sounds, I hate chewing gum. It makes me nauseous, whether it's in a trash can, on the ground, or in someone's mouth.

2-1B
03-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Eels. Let me just say...eels.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-04-2008, 12:42 AM
When I was young and eating my bowl(s) of cereal in the morning, my brother complained about me smacking my lips or something. Even when I was going out of my way to try to not make any sound. He would build a wall with the cereal boxes and try to shield himself from the sound. I think it may have just been the crunching sound that bothered him. I suppose ten minutes of virtually non-stop crunching would be annoying.

2-1B
03-04-2008, 12:46 AM
The crunching sounds of a snake crushing my family dog to death would be like nails on a chalkboard to me. :cry:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/27/australia.snake.ap/index.html

Jargo
03-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I'd have smashed that snake to a pulp.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Racheal Ray's voice kinda irks me.

El Chuxter
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I used to like Rachael Ray. That was before she got her own inane talk show and is on TV for about 23 hours each day.

bobafrett
03-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I ran over a squirrel once and I heard his skull *crunch*, not only did that make me sick, but I also cried a little, seeing as he ran out in front of my car.

My former room mate used to have old beverage glasses lined up his stair way from his computer room, and some of them had mold growing in them.

This same room mate, knowing how icky I thought that was, decided on one of our trips to downtown Chicago, to tell me he would cancel the $100 I owed him if I were to go down to leke Michigan (we were walking by the lake at the time) and grab a hand full of this brownish foam that was floating near the shore, and eat it. I started to dry heave, and he started laughing. He only did that because he knows I have weak stomach, and it would bring me to a point of nearly throwing up.

I don't mind getting a little sticky though, unless it is to the floor of an X rated movie theatre.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I used to like Rachael Ray. That was before she got her own inane talk show and is on TV for about 23 hours each day.

I thought she was on for 25 hours Chux? Sure seems that way sometimes.

El Chuxter
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
No, they have the infomercials on for an hour.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
That must be the one hour I'm asleep.

Tycho
03-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I used to think I "wanted" Rachael Ray. :lipsrsealed:

Yummo!

figrin bran
03-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Grady Little's (former manager of the Dodgers and Red Sox) voice really irks me. It's a combination of the tone, the slow delivery and the accent

Blue2th
03-05-2008, 01:16 AM
The thing that gives me the willies is a cockroach, or even worse one that has been stepped on. All those nasty white parasites that live in them that make them hungry. They freak me out man! Worse than a chalkboard. Even that crunchy sound you hear as you step on them, you know you have to reluctantly hear because the thing has to be killed. So you wince as you do what must be done. (I can't find a Smilie that begins to describe it!)

Deoxyribonucleic
03-05-2008, 01:46 AM
The thing that gives me the willies is a cockroach, or even worse one that has been stepped on. All those nasty white parasites that live in them that make them hungry. They freak me out man! Worse than a chalkboard. Even that crunchy sound you hear as you step on them, you know you have to reluctantly hear because the thing has to be killed. So you wince as you do what must be done. (I can't find a Smilie that begins to describe it!)

This is a story for you Blue2th ;)

During the summer we get what everyone loves to call "waterbugs". Waterbug is just a glorified name for a gigantic mfing cockroach. One night my Mom comes into my room and wakes me with haste, it's about 3 in the morning. She had gone to go potty and a "waterbug" was in the bathroom, about 3 inches in length. We absolutely abhor these things so we were devising a plan to catch it and throw it outside, like you, I HATE stepping on them and will not do it. So I get a plastic cup. Mind you, these lil grossies are FAST! Mom brings the cup down on it but only catches the back end. If we let go, Mr. Waterbug is inches away from escape so I tell my Mom to hold the cup, I'll be right back.

I run into my room, grab a scalpel that I have and come back. Mom says "WHAT are you going to do with THAT!? I say "just hold the cup down real tight!" So I proceed, in a quick cutting motion, to cut the half of the waterbug that's out of the cup clean off!! And you wanna know what happened then? That effing half that was out of the cup freakin ran off! Of course, not so fast now and we caught both halves and threw them in the garbage outside!!

I'll never forget that as long as I live!!

Tycho
03-05-2008, 02:05 AM
That was gross Deoxy. I wished I hadn't read that. Bugs freak me out, too!

plasticfetish
03-05-2008, 03:31 AM
I'll never forget that as long as I live!!Oh man... friggin' palmetto bugs! I hate those things. Tell you a good way to kill them though. When I was laying under my car one time working on something, I had a huge roach crawl at me, so I grabbed a can of carb cleaner and took a shot at him. The bug tossed itself onto its back, and spun around hissing until it died. Waterbugs hate carb cleaner. (For an added treat, you can also light it on fire.)

-----

My most hated thing is the amplified sound of someone chewing. I can't stand being on the phone with someone that's eating, and those Carl's Jr. commercials with all of that horrid burger eating noise make me want to kill someone. (I'll never understand why they think that's a good way to sell food.)

Tycho
03-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Especially when their food's no good.

Carl's Jr. used to be good quality maybe 10 or more years ago. I don't know what happened, but flat burgers just thrown together became the norm. I pretty much stopped eating there even before I knew that my kidneys were failing and protein was a major cause of it.

Wendy's resurfaced as sort of a quality burger, and of course In-And-Out is still the leader.

McDonald's and BurgerKing? Don't even get me started.

CaptainSolo1138
03-05-2008, 07:00 AM
That reminds me of another one: The sound of water being poured into a glass, especially in movies.

Another one is when people are talking, especially on the radio, and they keep making that disgusting clicking sound from peeling their tongue off the roof of their dry mouth.

El Chuxter
03-05-2008, 09:36 AM
I've been doing research on cockroaches recently. Waterbugs are a different species from the common American cockroach, though the species called that varies regionally. If their bodies don't develop mold, a decapitated cockroach can live for a few weeks, but will eventually starve to death since it no longer has a mouth. And the white "parasites" are really little baby cockroaches.

Doesn't mean they're not gross, though, or that I don't step on them whenever possible.

JediTricks
03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
The thing that gives me the willies is a cockroach, or even worse one that has been stepped on. All those nasty white parasites that live in them that make them hungry. They freak me out man! Worse than a chalkboard. Even that crunchy sound you hear as you step on them, you know you have to reluctantly hear because the thing has to be killed. So you wince as you do what must be done. (I can't find a Smilie that begins to describe it!)Feel like I step on fortune cookie, Doctor Jones.

My most hated thing is the amplified sound of someone chewing. I can't stand being on the phone with someone that's eating, and those Carl's Jr. commercials with all of that horrid burger eating noise make me want to kill someone. (I'll never understand why they think that's a good way to sell food.)I really hate those commercials, the annoying "I'm bored" announcer too. And it's an apple or lettuce being bitten into, not a burger.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't know if I've ever seen a cockroach around here. There probably are some, as I think my mom said she had seen them in a place she lived when she was young. I've been going to Springfield, MO on business each year, and I see some big shiny green bugs lying dead on the sidewalks. I am assuming they are some sort of cockroach.

El Chuxter
03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
If they were green, probably june bugs, which are a type of beetle.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
If they were green, probably june bugs, which are a type of beetle.
Just found a picture of them online. That appears to be what I saw.

TeeEye7
03-05-2008, 10:42 PM
All this bug talk is just plain funny to me.

If you want to see wildlife, come ride with me when we assist Child Protective Service into the squalor of a doper's home to check on the kids (and sometimes take them from their "parents"). The houses are so filthy that the bugs have taken over completely.

On one case, one of my colleagues ran back to the office to get the video camera to document the wildlife in a house, as still photography wouldn't do the scene justice. When he came back, we reviewed the tape and ended up laughing hysterically as you would hear him stomping incessantly as the bugs would crawl up his legs while he was filming! What he filmed was reminiscent to the masses of scarab beetles in The Mummy. The whole house was writhing with activity. I have never seen a house so infested. (And, yes, we took the kids to shelter care).

Tycho
03-05-2008, 11:17 PM
That's so gross TeeEye. I don't know how people can live like that!

I keep a very clean house. My 2 worst sins are:

I hate dusting my SW collection but eventually plan to have everything in display cases so I only have to dust them versus stuff inside (SideShow, Unleashed, and what not).

Dishes in the sink - which since I live alone - tend to get done before I have company or just before I run out of clean kitchenware to use. But I'll often do them when I'm watching the news where I can still see my big screen from the kitchen area.

Anyway, if you clean, and especially if you don't leave food around (and this is harder as I have 2 cats for pets - who also have litterboxes) you don't have bugs. I've had a few guests from our website stay with me over the years and they can tell you that my place is clean! I could not stand to live in infested conditions like you describe! Talk about The Temple of Doom!

Blue2th
03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I think what freaks me out about certain bugs is their intelligence.
I remember going to the back yard of this batchelor pad party house I used to live in (so needless to say it was a dirty house) at night I looked down in the darkness on the ground at what looked like a big black circle on the grass about the size of a basketball. Looked closer and it was a circle of cockroaches. They weren't feeding or swarming. It's like they were having a confrence because they were all facing in to the center. Whoah! I decided to break up the party, I went to the kitchen cabinet, pulled out a can of Pam and a lighter and it was flame-thrower time.

El Chuxter
03-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Cockroaches have this really weird trait where, though they're not hive animals (like bees or ants, or even their closest relatives, termites), they almost exhibit a sort of telepathy. They can act as a group, and there's no hard determination yet as to why.

They also are hard to smash since the "hairs" on their bodies are so sensitive that they can feel an object coming toward by noting differences in air pressure them long before it gets there.

I swear I'm not an entymologist, but this stuff is pretty fresh in my mind. A couple of folks here probably have a good idea why.

BTW, Tycho, if you live in an apartment, you can be meticulously clean and still have a cockroach issue if your neighbors aren't as clean, since you typically share plumbing, electrical wiring, and air ducts. I've lived in two apartments that I (and my roommates, in one case) kept immaculate, and still had to deal with some of our little brown fiends.

Tycho
03-06-2008, 12:49 AM
I've had crickets previously. They're not as disgusting to look at, but their chirping gets annoying.

Fortunately, my cats are very good at catching any.

Crickets from neighbors come most frequently from people who have snakes and lizards for pets and have to feed them live insects. One will get away ever so often, and the reptile owner isn't phased by it because they deal with them all the time.

On the other hand, if I wanted to listen to crickets to fall asleep at night, I can buy their noise on CDs at Target.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-06-2008, 12:51 AM
On the other hand, if I wanted to listen to crickets to fall asleep at night, I can buy their noise on CDs at Target.

That was good! lol :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-06-2008, 01:22 AM
The bugs I have to deal with are the occasional big brown spider. I'm not sure what kind they are. They could either be a hobo spider, brown recluse, or some variety of house spider. Perhaps they aren't all the same. Sometimes they look a bit different. I was just looking online and found a page that says we don't have brown recluses here. It would either be a hobo spider, a domestic house spider or giant house spider. I seem to have yellow jackets or wasps of some kind hanging around my eaves. Last year we noticed a nest up in a vent on my roof. I was able to reach it with the spray and got a lot of them, but I never tried to climb up there to remove the nest. Ants are another thing I might have to be concerned about.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-08-2008, 07:54 PM
The bugs I have to deal with are the occasional big brown spider. I'm not sure what kind they are. They could either be a hobo spider, brown recluse, or some variety of house spider. Perhaps they aren't all the same. Sometimes they look a bit different. I was just looking online and found a page that says we don't have brown recluses here. It would either be a hobo spider, a domestic house spider or giant house spider.

Like this . . . .

Tycho
03-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I have a feeling that come summer time, my home will be infested with a few of these (which I'll promptly sick my AT-TE's on!) :

Mad Slanted Powers
03-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Nothing quite that big. I think it is this one (http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/insects/bugsfaq/hsspider.htm) that we have here. I find one in the bathtub every once in a while.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Black Widow Spiders. Hate them with a passion. I'm glad they don't exist in Indiana. Different story in Nevada though. When my parents got divorced, I went to stay with my mom for a while. I had some clothes in a bag, and my mom had my sisters boyfriend put them in a box from the garage.

The next day was the fourth of July and we were going to a barbeque at my aunt's house. I took a pair of shorts out of the box and went to put them on. As soon as I pulled them around my waist, I felt something moving quickly up my leg. Looking down and seeing what it was made me jump what seemed like 10ft in the air and screech like a banshee. Needless to say the jump threw the widow off my leg, into the bathroom wall which was too much for it. Luckily it didn't bite me. I still cringe when I think about that though.

I'd almost rather have a roach run across my foot than even have to look at a widow from across the room.

plasticfetish
03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Mad Slanted Powers... it's probably just a Wolf Spider...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Wolf_spider_white_bg.jpg/800px-Wolf_spider_white_bg.jpg

El Chuxter
03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I hate black widows, too. They were rare in NC when I lived there, possibly in VA (never saw any, though), and all over the freaking place in CA.

People think I'm a wuss 'cause I don't like to just go up and smash them, but insist on having a long stick or a can of Raid. I can't help that their bite is considered the most painful around for the size. Never been bitten, and don't intend to.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I hate black widows, too. They were rare in NC when I lived there, possibly in VA (never saw any, though), and all over the freaking place in CA.

People think I'm a wuss 'cause I don't like to just go up and smash them, but insist on having a long stick or a can of Raid. I can't help that their bite is considered the most painful around for the size. Never been bitten, and don't intend to.

If that's so then I'm a wuss too because I could never just smash one like that. I had to do the same as you Chux. I don't even want to go near one.

Blue2th
03-08-2008, 10:07 PM
I've seen one those things crawl across a tile floor, and she was so big you could hear her feet clicking.
Talk about chalkboard shivers!

General_Grievous
03-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't mind bugs much, but I can't stand it when a bee buzzes in my ear. I hate that with a passion. Another thing I really hate is whenever water goes up my nose when I'm swimming.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Mad Slanted Powers... it's probably just a Wolf Spider...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Wolf_spider_white_bg.jpg/800px-Wolf_spider_white_bg.jpgNo, I think it is more likely the one I linked to.

TeeEye7
03-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Black Widow Spiders. Hate them with a passion.

They're an occupational hazard with me since they are nocturnal, and I work nights. Summer nights are full of them and you've always got to be on your toes !

Nasty buggers! :upset:

Blue2th
03-09-2008, 12:28 AM
It's the barking spiders you really have to watch out for. You can't see them, but you can sure hear and smell em.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-09-2008, 12:31 AM
They're an occupational hazard with me since they are nocturnal, and I work nights. Summer nights are full of them and you've always got to be on your toes !

Nasty buggers! :upset:

Indeed. I always checked my shoes, clothes, etc, even though we had a bug guy that came and sprayed twice a month. I never took any chances that one might be hiding somewhere.

plasticfetish
03-09-2008, 12:40 AM
No, I think it is more likely the one I linked to.Ooh. Now I'll have to look at ours a bit closer to see if they're that one.

Our house is full of spiders. In, out and around... but I usually just leave them alone because they eat mosquitos and other pests.

Down in Southern California our yard was plagued by black widows. I don't miss them much... or the killer bees... or the Chupacabra.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Ooh. Now I'll have to look at ours a bit closer to see if they're that one.

Our house is full of spiders. In, out and around... but I usually just leave them alone because they eat mosquitos and other pests.

Down in Southern California our yard was plagued by black widows. I don't miss them much... or the killer bees... or the Chupacabra.Yeah, unless I see one in the house, I'm not in a hurry to get rid of it. They eat the other bugs. There is this one that has been camped out at the bottom of the step going into my garage but I keep putting off killing it. Now I haven't seen it in a week. It was different from the others in that it seemed darker with a bigger abdomen. It might be more like these other ones I encountered while cleaning the garage. I have 3 large pieces of cardboard on the floor of the garage and when I moved them to sweep, each one had a spider under it. A couple were black while another seemed a bit purplish red. They too had the bigger abdomen. Perhaps somewhat like a black widow, but probably not because I don't think there are too many of those around here. I don't know if I've ever seen one. Mostly the house spiders and outside I see orb weavers near windows and in the bushes.

2-1B
03-09-2008, 01:29 PM
or the Chupacabra.

Very bothersome...but not as bad as people smacking popcorn in the movie theater. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
03-09-2008, 07:52 PM
My dog was killed by a chupacubra. But then I remembered there's no such thing as a chupacabra, and I didn't have a dog.

Jargo
03-14-2008, 10:05 PM
I just realised this thread says chalk board. I don't know what a chalk board is but i don't like the screech of cheap chalk on a black board or green board. or the squeak of dry markers on a white board. sets my teeth on edge something chronic.

we have a spider called a wolf spider (least i think that's the name. it's an outdoors one. and can jump. stands up on it's front legs and waggles it's mandibles at you if you get close. then jumps around a fair bit. it's got a sort of tiger stripe colouring. not that big though. and i don't think it's powerful venom it has but it's nip can really sting.

I leave outdoor spiders alone. if they invade my house they die. usually on the end of a rolled up newspaper or my shoe. I don't mind flying things unless they make an audible buzz while flying. the really high pitched buz like crane flies, moths, mosquitos and gnats. all those have to be squished. Bees are ok. I like bees. Wasps i kill by leaving old marmalade jars with a bit of marmalade smeared round the jar, third filled with water and a hole punched in the cap so they can get in but not out. or for bothersome ones i spray them with furniture polish. sticks up their wings so they can't fly around. then they fall to the floor so I pick them up using a bunch of tissues and flush them down the toilet.

Actually that's a total lie. I make my partner do it because going near anything with more than or less than four legs makes me squeal like a girl and run off to find a safe hiding place.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-14-2008, 10:14 PM
We have little zebra-striped jumping spiders. Their movement is really jerky, almost like they teleport a few millimeters at a time.

When I see a bee on a flower, I walk up to it and say, "Hello there Mr. Bee", though I'm not sure about bee gender.

Chalkboard is just another word for blackboard. Sometimes chalk on a blackboard makes bad sounds, but I remember my high school track and cross country coach writing stuff on the board and I liked the way it sounded. Not sure if it was the board or his writing style or a combination of the two. I don't mind the squeak of the markers on the white board.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-14-2008, 10:15 PM
going near anything with more than or less than four legs makes me squeal like a girl and run off to find a safe hiding place.

You're not alone my friend. I too have screamed like a chic at certain little pests of that nature.

I have a friend who's worse though. He came to visit from Vegas one time, and found a small house spider in the guest room. It freaked him out bad. Earlier in the day he almost caused us to get in a car accident while swatting at a ladybug in the car. Anyway, back to the spider. He found a can of raid under the kitchen sink, sprayed half of it in the room, closed the door, and went to bed. He couldn't understand why he felt so sick the next day.

Jargo
03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
and that's why i use furniture polish. insect repellent/killer is one of the most noxious substances I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. it just sticks to your throat and tongue and up your nose.

I've used hairspray on wasps. when i lived with my mother. that's really good at gumming up flying things. once found a huge wasp that had hatched out of season and it was buzzing round the ceiling light so i sprayed it with hairspray and it buzzed angrily then tried to fly but instead took a nosedive into the electric fire element and fizzled and died.

shaving foam is no good. they just clean that stuff off.

(love the new 'tar and sig line)

Tycho
03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Actually that's a total lie. I make my partner do it because going near anything with more than or less than four legs makes me squeal like a girl and run off to find a safe hiding place.

That part really left some questions in my mind that I'm not sure I want answered.

Jargo
03-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Avian creatures. Aquatic things. Not amputees.

Slicker
03-15-2008, 05:26 AM
I've usually got a pretty strong stomach (I managed to watch about 13.2482 seconds of 2 girls 1 cup...) but the one thing that always gets me is seeing skin cut with a scalpel. It's just the way that it cuts so fast and clean. It almost looks like the skin is zippered and the scalpel is unzipping it. It's not even the blood or anything else.

Hey, Cappy. Remember when lil' Bro watched that surgery on that guys "knee"? HAW!!!

jjreason
03-15-2008, 07:39 AM
For me it's the eating sounds - and from what I've read I'm not alone. If I'm either feeling stress or feeling hungry, the sound of someone else eating (even if they're doing their best to keep their mouths closed and be polite) comes dangerously close to putting me into a murderous rage. :frus:

And don't even get me started on people that smack their lips or scrape forks against their teeth... more than a few of them have disappeared over the years. (j/k) :p

Jedi_Kal-El
03-15-2008, 08:28 AM
and that's why i use furniture polish. insect repellent/killer is one of the most noxious substances I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. it just sticks to your throat and tongue and up your nose.

Yeah, I no longer keep Raid or anything of that sort in my house. The next time my friend came to stay we us, he kept begging me to go out and buy a can, but I reminded him of his previous experience.

I've used hairspray on wasps.

I too have found that hairspray can make a good repellant for fliers. I don't get alot of wasps or bees inside, but the mosquiotos get really bad in late summer/early fall.

(love the new 'tar and sig line)

Thanks dude, though I do have to give Deox a little credit for giving me the idea.