PDA

View Full Version : Exar Kun, Ulic Qel Droma, Nomi Surider - possible now?

Tycho
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
With the Mandalore figure in the Evolutions set being proven by JediTricks to be from The Tales of the Jedi comic series (not KOTOR, though the first TPB that collected TOTJ was titled KOTOR), the door is opened for other figures that go with Mandalore to be made part of the collection.

With no contest, the 3 most major characters are Ulic Qel Droma, the Jedi-turned-Sith who the story centers on, Nomi Surider, his Jedi lover and the future leader of the High Council, and Exar Kun, the fallen Jedi who becomes Dark Lord of the Sith and wields the first double-bladed lightsaber (his blades are blue).

These 3 remain in every Top 25, usually Top 15, with at least Exar in the Top 10 of every Expanded Universe wish-list poll.

So now with Mandalore made, do you think they'll follow him shortly?

These were stories at an apex for some of the best years for Dark Horse Star Wars comics, and THE best of the titles. They were focused mainly for release in 1998.

Some of you reading this are NooBs and others just never indulged in the EU, or didn't know what was worth reading and subsequently got your experience with what was not. Would you like more information on Tales of the Jedi?

Do you know the characters?

Sinscia Fat'o
03-05-2008, 03:25 PM
In total-and i mean total agreement!
TOTJ are the BEST Star Wars comics ever printed, the character's, the plot, the sites, it's what the prequels SHOULD have been. Once you get someone to get over there EU hate and read these comics...well let's just put it this way i've yet to meet someone who didn't like these after they actually read these stories.

Will these figures ever happen?

I think we'll see Exar Kun...Ulic maybe. (I think Ulic's fate is dependent on whether we have Evolutions next year or not.) Nomi, i think is a real long shot with all the trouble over the name "Sunrider" but you never know. A comic pack featuring Nomi and Ulic would be great! I'd even buy two!

El Chuxter
03-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I never got into these comics (couldn't get interested in stuff that's 10 million years before ANH), but I'd buy the figures.

Of course, Hasbro knows we want them. So we have to wait until they produce fifty more Clonetroopers before they'll even consider them.

jedi master sal
03-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Well you and I talked about this through PMs, Tycho.

Personally I would have MUCH rather had any of those three before Mandolore. Ulic, Exar, and Nomi are much more important to the story.

Nomi would be great in a Female Jedi Evolutions set.
Add one of the prequel Female Jedi and the Jaina Solo and you've got a great set, IMO.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nomi
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaina_Solo

Exar would also be good in an EVO set.
Him with Senate Duel Palpy and Darth Krayt would make a good set.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Exar_Kun
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Krayt

Ulic could be in a Dark Jedi/Sith EVO set.
Him with one of Luke's students who went bad-either Brakiss or Kueller and Darth Cadeus (Jacen Solo).
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ulic_Qel-Droma
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Brakiss
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kueller (who looks a little like Darth Krayt)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Cadeus

-Sal

jjreason
03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I have the whole Tales of the Jedi run - it was very good, right up there with Rogue Squadron for my favorite SW comics. I'd be down for these 3 figures.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Well you and I talked about this through PMs, Tycho.

Personally I would have MUCH rather had any of those three before Mandolore. Ulic, Exar, and Nomi are much more important to the story.

Nomi would be great in a Female Jedi Evolutions set.
Add one of the prequel Female Jedi and the Jaina Solo and you've got a great set, IMO.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nomi
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaina_Solo

Exar would also be good in an EVO set.
Him with Senate Duel Palpy and Darth Krayt would make a good set.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Exar_Kun
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Krayt

Ulic could be in a Dark Jedi/Sith EVO set.
Him with one of Luke's students who went bad-either Brakiss or Kueller and Darth Cadeus (Jacen Solo).
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ulic_Qel-Droma
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Brakiss
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kueller (who looks a little like Darth Krayt)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Cadeus

-Sal

I'd buy those sets! In a heart beat.

Hasbro know's that these figures would sell, and they know we want them. But they want to keep us on the hook for something...I just hope they give us Exar Kun (My most wanted figure!) before the line ends, or before i can't buy these things anymore! (LOL, my gf gives me a lot of crap for still buying SW toys.)

JediTricks
03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Every time I spout off about Hasbro not doing X with the Comics Packs line, they throw a wild curveball, so anything's possible. That said, I honestly don't see them hitting up TOTJ for a pack right now, and definitely not in the basic line. I think they know there's great demand for Exar Kun though, so if any TOTJ comic pack happened, I cannot imagine them doing it without this guy.

Neuroleptic
03-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Tales of the Jedi was awsome! In a way it was what made me extreamly disapointed with the prequal trilogy, because like someone else said, it's something along the lines for what the prequil trilogy should have been.

It's only 9,000 years, not 10 million, thus you should read it!

It's great. No jar jar, no stupid dumbed down kiddie stuff, no midiclorians, no stupid rules for the jedi order. Just story telling at it's best.

I'd buy the Mando figure, except it's in a pack in with another figure I like but don't need (boba) and another that I don't care about (Jango).

I hope they give us a chance to get some of the other characters down the road.

pegger
03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I have the whole Tales of the Jedi run - it was very good, right up there with Rogue Squadron for my favorite SW comics. I'd be down for these 3 figures.

JJ - Can I borrow these for a read? Never read them myself. Have little clue to who these guys are - and no clue as to what they look like.

Tycho
03-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Actually, the events of Ulic Qel Droma / Exar Kun's time in TOTJ were only and almost exactly 4,000 years before Luke blew up the first Death Star.

The Sith War was over within a span of about 20 years in there, including all the pre-amble and fall-out from it.

I LOVE Jedi Master Sal's Evolutions set ideas! Those were cool!

I thought comic 2-packs, with Ulic and Nomi, and a repack of Mandalore with Exar.

The Evolutions sets are better ideas (thank you again Sal!) because they give us more new characters.

In a female Jedi Evolutions set, the Bariss Offee we all want (neutral, articulate, likely softgoods) could round off the set with Nomi and Jaina. The latter figure could be somewhat kit-bashed from Leia and maybe Adi Gallia figure parts, or if they make her as a Rogue Squadron pilot, I think Hasbro just made a new female x-wing pilot body, but the Leia Bespin Escape POTJ figue body can also be adapted. Leia's her mother, so why not?

The Exar, Palpatine, Darth Krayyt set rocked! It just rocked, Sal! :thumbsup:

For the Dark Jedi Evolutions set, KYP DURRON is the leading candidate you forgot to mention:

Ulic Qel Droma
Kyp Durron - one of Luke's rogue students, who doesn't turn out evil actually
Jacen Solo as Darth Caedus

There's a good set! Brakiss, and Kueller (especially) were just not that important - though Brakiss was intriguing and they could have developed him more. Maybe the RPG did? I don't know the answer to that one. However, you KNOW Kyp Durron would sell.

PEGGER: you should borrow (or buy these for a read). The story starts with Ulic as an apprentice and Nomi only being married to one. They're nice anecdotal stories that establish the main characters, but wait until you get to the 2-issue Freedon Nadd Uprising, Dark Lords of the Sith (6 issues) and The Sith War (6 issues). They cause everything established to tie together and become very relevant, and bring in Exar Kun and Mandalore so that all hell breaks loose. There are MAJOR wars, too! MAJOR! The whole darn thing is an epic unlike anything ever seen in the Star Wars chronology in many ways (except the movie era taken as a whole) and it leaves Legacy as a wanna-be TOTJ (can't blame them for trying - but you know Dark Horse sits around a boardroom table and brainstormed starting with "How do we do TOTJ again?" I don't even think Kevin J. Anderson (who wrote most of it - but not its start if I recall) could repeat that feat. It was that good.

And Anderson is not SW's best EU writer by a long shot - though he's better than the average - but when you restrict him from embelishing side-stories all over the place and lock him down to a specific page count, like in a script for comics, he's REALLY good! (well, most of the time)

Darth Jax
03-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Those figures would be more likely to be remade if someone revisits that time either in comics or as a game. There's always new EU being churned out and being fresh is more likely to be mined for figures.

Tycho
03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
They did Baron Fel in a comic pack and his time was moreso the 90's era of SW comics.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't think them being from the nineties would be as much as an issue as there being so much wanted and unproduced from EU over the years. If Hasbro would have stuck to their guns and produced EU figures since the first POTF2 Wave chances are we'd be asking for resculpts of said figures instead of figures based off of them period.

That and the EU grows every year it seems by at least 3-4 new major sources, and that makes older characters such as these very hard to get and get to by hasbro...which is why i got more than upset when i seen Darth Malack (KOTOR) over Kun, Ulic, Nadd, or Sadow...Revan i understood because he won the fan's choice poll...but Malack?

stillakid
03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I couldn't make heads nor tails of the title of this thread, but I did wonder why the names have to be needlessly complicated. What's wrong with "Bob" or "Tom" or "Jane"? :confused:

Tycho
03-05-2008, 07:25 PM
There is always Chad Vader and I'd love action figures from that series ;)

Sincia - whomever they make from the EU should likely have other characters from their appearance to interact with. That's perhaps why Darth Malack - he was Revan's apprentice afterall, so it's a logical choice. Of course I didn't want or buy either of them, and like you, would have preferred the TOTJ options.

Banthaholic
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Good call for a thread Tycho!

I'd be all over these is a second. Funny to read these becuase just today I was thinking at work how they could do two comic backs, and I was trying to think of the 4th charatcer to go with Exar Kun. Nomi Surider & Ulic go well together. The one I kept coming back to was Master Vodo Baas

pegger
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Good call for a thread Tycho!

You HAD to encourage him, didn't you....

Tycho
03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey, my threads are the stuff of legends around here!

I've even heard they are RogueII's favorite thing about this site. :thumbsup:

Funny to read these becuase just today I was thinking at work how they could do two comic backs, and I was trying to think of the 4th charatcer to go with Exar Kun. Nomi Surider & Ulic go well together. The one I kept coming back to was Master Vodo Baas

Vodo would make a cool figure. I don't know if Hasro would expend the money to make the molds for him though, as he IS more obscure. Of course I'd buy him in a heartbeat and Dark Lords #3 (I think that's Exar's cover) should be the pack-in with any Exar figure and Vodo is also on that cover (seen from his back).

But seeing as how Hasbro likes to cut down their costs, as any microeconomics course teaches a business should do, re-using Mandalore in a comic 2-pack, with different paint or slight adjustments to the tooling - like a hard plastic cape or whatever - would cover their bases. That would keep their costs low, too.

I'm with you Banthaholic and would much rather have another TOTJ character, be it Vodo, Cay, Arca, Sylvar, Ood Bnar, Warb Null, a Tetan War Droid, Aleema, etc. But I'm just trying to predict what would keep with Hasbro's typical business model.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Warb Null would make an awesome figure to go with Exar.
Though they should pack in Vimma (Nomi's daughter) with Nomi, kinda like they did with the baby Leia and Luke...Even though Vimma was older than a infant if i recall correctly.

And yes this is a great idea for a thread! Your the man Tycho!:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
03-05-2008, 09:24 PM
I know it's not 10 million. I just couldn't remember how far back it was. I read a few issues, and they fell into the "this is well done, but not my speed" category. Now that they're doing these relatively cheap "Omnibus" editions, I might check it out again. It's been over ten years, so I may enjoy them more now.

The cool thing with Exar is they could re-release it as a ghost figure later on. Actually, same with Ulic. Both appeared as ghosts later on (Exar in the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and Ulic in the Clone Wars game).

Banthaholic
03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I bet a Master Thon is out of the question, not that it wouldn't be cool though...

figrin bran
03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
These were stories at an apex for some of the best years for Dark Horse Star Wars comics, and THE best of the titles. They were focused mainly for release in 1998.

Some of you reading this are NooBs and others just never indulged in the EU, or didn't know what was worth reading and subsequently got your experience with what was not. Would you like more information on Tales of the Jedi?

Do you know the characters?

I've only read Vol. 1 of the TotJ Omnibus but I learned of the characters through playing the KOTOR game. There is a part of the game where you travel to Korriban and you learn a bit about Exar and Ulic and Freedom Nadd and Naga Sadow. Being curious, I ended up looking up more about them. I don't believe Nomi was mentioned in the game but Vima was originally supposed to be in the game but got changed to a new character, Bastila Shan.

I would definitely buy any TotJ characters as I really enjoy reading about that period in the SW timeline. I'm definitely buying the vol. 2 Omnibus when it comes out. It'll be interesting to see how Nomi goes from being much too afraid to wield a lightsaber to becoming leader of the Council, as Tycho just spoiled it for me :p

Sinscia Fat'o
03-05-2008, 10:55 PM
I've only read Vol. 1 of the TotJ Omnibus but I learned of the characters through playing the KOTOR game. There is a part of the game where you travel to Korriban and you learn a bit about Exar and Ulic and Freedom Nadd and Naga Sadow. Being curious, I ended up looking up more about them. I don't believe Nomi was mentioned in the game but Vima was originally supposed to be in the game but got changed to a new character, Bastila Shan.

I would definitely buy any TotJ characters as I really enjoy reading about that period in the SW timeline. I'm definitely buying the vol. 2 Omnibus when it comes out. It'll be interesting to see how Nomi goes from being much too afraid to wield a lightsaber to becoming leader of the Council, as Tycho just spoiled it for me :p

Don't feel bad dude, as i was just reading that the other day again for the first time so to speak and forgot a lot of the details such as Nomi and the lightsaber...and when one of my friends ran a SW RPG game the other night he introduced Nomi as the leader of the jedi council...and then went on to spoil the rest of the series for me as well...but trust me i dug out my old back issues and read them not long after that...the series and Volume 2 is still well worth your time.

jedi master sal
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
...For the Dark Jedi Evolutions set, KYP DURRON is the leading candidate you forgot to mention...

Thanks for the Kudos Tycho.

Barriss would indeed be a good female Jedi for the EVO set.

I had thought of Kyp Durron, but as he turns out to be good after all, I passed him over. Yes, it can be said for Ulic too as he was redeemed, but I do see him as more evil and for a longer time than Kyp.

Tycho
03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Well it's not even a technicality:

Kyp thought of the Force as a tool, and he used its Dark Side to pursue his revenge against the Empire, regardless of the consequences. That's one thing.

Ulic Qel Droma was the Dark Lord of the Sith (under only Exar), that is an entirely different thing.

But still Brakiss and Kueller are weak components for a set and Kyp Durron would rock.

jedi master sal
03-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Well it's not even a technicality:

Kyp thought of the Force as a tool, and he used its Dark Side to pursue his revenge against the Empire, regardless of the consequences. That's one thing.

Ulic Qel Droma was the Dark Lord of the Sith (under only Exar), that is an entirely different thing.

But still Brakiss and Kueller are weak components for a set and Kyp Durron would rock.

I was going more for the look of Kueller than his importance to the story. Kyp could just be another generic Jedi whereas Kueller's clothes/armor are unique.

Visually it's more appealing to me and I'd think to kids and casual collectors.

DarkArtist
03-06-2008, 05:40 PM
would love to see figures of Exar, Ulic and Nomi. the only other thing that I would love to see is both versions of Ulic both Jedi and Sith

stillakid
03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd like to see figures of Zquore and Xeoirart and VzqPlant. Of course they should all be riding their own Hzwy~Bvqilt beasts with XtZoppp^xstlst weapons. That goes without saying. :love:

And Hasbro should be giving and have a mail-away figure offer for a free VVxzeolllator Warrior (in the red battle suit of course). Anything less would just be selfish.

figrin bran
03-13-2008, 02:02 AM
According to Hasbro's answer at our sister site, Exar Kun will be coming in a comic pack within a year!!!!

Tycho
03-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Who-hoo! Exar!

Note to MadSlantedPowers: Exar came in at No. 7 on our EU poll, so there stands a chance he could make it into the Phase II competition.

I say he stays in circulation if he makes it that far, again because we haven't seen him in plastic and we need to let Hasbro know we still want him!

jedi master sal
03-13-2008, 07:57 AM
According to Hasbro's answer at our sister site, Exar Kun will be coming in a comic pack within a year!!!!

Sister site? We have a sister site? Which one?

Seriously, I didn't know we had one.

Tycho
03-13-2008, 08:01 AM
He's talking about ActionFigs.com which I believe you did know we had, as I think you're registered there.

jedi master sal
03-13-2008, 09:04 AM
He's talking about ActionFigs.com which I believe you did know we had, as I think you're registered there.

Yeah, but I consider that SSG lite. lol

JediTricks
03-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey thanks, I'm sure all my hard work over there is easily brushed aside like that without any complications. :rolleyes:

StbrianofMinneapolis
03-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Given the unuasual sculpts of these characters, the Fan club should do an exclusive release of Masters Vodo Baas and Thon. Or frankly, anyone else should do them.
Thon paticularly was my favorite character of TOTJ and Ive schemed for years about trying to make a custom. Save me the effort Hasbro!

figrin bran
04-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I bought and finished reading ToTJ Omnibus vol 2 today.

Tycho, you catch a lot of flak on our forums for your recommendations, mostly movie and TV, but you sure know your SW comics! This was a phenomenal series and I enjoyed all the arcs. KOTOR and Legacy don't even come close!

Sinscia Fat'o
04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I bought and finished reading ToTJ Omnibus vol 2 today.

Tycho, you catch a lot of flak on our forums for your recommendations, mostly movie and TV, but you sure know your SW comics! This was a phenomenal series and I enjoyed all the arcs. KOTOR and Legacy don't even come close!

The whole TOTJ era is some of the best comic stories ever told, hands down! I really wished Hasbro would have taken notice to this and given us figures of this series by now...but at least Kun is on his way! Nomi and Ulic shouldn't be to far behind...hopefully.

Saying Legacy is anything compared would be like saying Buck Rodgers is the next Star Wars. While KOTOR has been a great series in it's writing and develpment of characters, though it has a long way to go to top these mini series! The Vector stroy line has been the great! (So Far...even as far fetched as it sounds.)