PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the shallow foot-peg holes, Hasbro!!!

Old Fossil
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
WHY on Earth are you still making figures that can't adequately use the frickin' stands you pack in with them? The Jango Fett w/poncho can hardly use the stand he came with. Ridiculous! Why even bother with the shallow holes -- they serve no useful purpose in being there. If you can't make 'em right, don't make them at all!

I mean, really, think about it for a nanosecond or two, Team Hasbro: you're a ten-year old boy trying to fit his Hawkbat Clone onto a figure stand. You put one foot onto the peg. You put the figure and stand down. The Clone falls over, because the shallow peg did nothing more than throw the figure off balance. The kid thinks, "Gosh, who's the moron that decided to make the figure like this?" That's YOU, big H., the toy business supposedly run by adults with at least a high-school diploma.

I don't ask for much from you nowadays, given that it's taken you almost ten years to make decent articulation the norm for your Star Wars figures (among other things). But please, please, PLEASE make the figures so that they can make use of foot-pegs, whether the latter are on stands or in the Republic Gunship or whatever. Kenner somehow got it right, some 30 years ago. What's your excuse?:upset:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
This is one of my biggest complaints about figures as well. I bought all of these figure stands that Hasbro started selling last year. I put the stickers on them and then I go to put the figures on them and have had several that just didn't have a deep enough peg hole. It is especially annoying with figures that don't stand up very well on their own and I am relying on the stand to display the figure.

I also got a bunch of stands that came with that Pride Display Diorama. It has one modern peg and one vintage peg, and they are a narrow oval compared to the round Real Stands. The modern peg seems different on them, because a lot of my figures don't stay on it well. If the figures had better holes in them, I could move more figures onto the Hasbro stands and free up more of my Real Stands so that I didn't have to use the oval ones.

jedi master sal
03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
...Kenner somehow got it right, some 30 years ago. What's your excuse?:upset:

I hear you. However allow me to play devils advocate for a moment.

In many cases Hasbro can't make the peg holes bigger because of the added articulation. Kenner never had ankle articulation to contend with. So, they could drill a hole an inch into the leg if they were so inclined. Hasbor can't do that. With regards to figures with ankle joints, there's only so far they could drill there and so they are forced to put the hole in the middle of the foot. That area is a bit shallow as well, so it makes it very difficult to make a big hole.

My solution would rather be to make the pegs on the stands just a bit shorter.
Though that may not allow the figures to stand well and stay attached to the stand.

Ok, Devil's Advocate complete.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Another issue is with some Padmé and other female figures. The combination of the heeled shoes and a sculpted rather than soft goods dress/skirt means the peg can't even reach the peg hole. This came up again recently when I was looking at my POTC Padmé TPM Celebration figure.

JediTricks
03-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I try not to use footpegs whenever possible, I have a thing about having my figures freestanding in as awesome a pose as I can get them. But I do know what you mean, on my Ultarama displays, there are several shallow-peghole figures who eventually kip over because of this issue. I don't think there is a good answer for Hasbro product - make the pegs too short and they're useless; make the holes deeper and they're break right through the top of the foot.

I'll sacrifice pegholes for ankle articulation every time, but I'd prefer they keep putting the holes in there because they can be handy sometimes. If nothing else, one could always cut the peg shorter.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-07-2008, 01:19 AM
I guess for me, the peg holes are important. I've got a lot of figures displayed close together so I could get a domino effect if I knock one over or if it falls over. Also, I some displayed on a bookcase. When I open the door, the magnet that holds it shut provides some resistance, so when it finally opens, that can shake the figures on top. I have some on top of a CD rack and that is a bit wobbly. It seems that a lot of the places I have them displayed are prone to being bumped or are somehow unstable enough if I start fiddling around with the figures. Or maybe meesa just clumsy.

So, I definitely place more importance on peg holes rather than some of the other details people point out. Function over form in this instance I guess.

JediTricks
03-07-2008, 01:26 AM
95% of my figures are a hair's breadth from each other, yet most of them are not pegged into anything and I rarely have troubles, even in earthquake country. Granted, it is VERY frustrating when 1 takes out a dozen or more, but it doesn't happen much anymore.

For the magnet issue, try setting the magnet further back so it just barely holds, shim the base a little more solid, and tighten up the screws on your furniture if you can.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-07-2008, 01:35 AM
95% of my figures are a hair's breadth from each other, yet most of them are not pegged into anything and I rarely have troubles, even in earthquake country. Granted, it is VERY frustrating when 1 takes out a dozen or more, but it doesn't happen much anymore.

For the magnet issue, try setting the magnet further back so it just barely holds, shim the base a little more solid, and tighten up the screws on your furniture if you can.Wouldn't that result in the doors kind of pointing inward a bit? I'd also have make new holes to attach the magnet thingy. This past year I had been setting all of my TAC figures up there but it was getting pretty crowded and placing a figure in there was kind of like playing reverse Jenga. I was using the stands for as many of them as I could, but that just made it easier to knock other figures over when trying to place them in there as I would clip a lightsaber or misjudge my placement between figures.

JediTricks
03-07-2008, 01:57 AM
There's probably another part of the unit that'd stop the doors there anyway, but if not, you could put felt bumpers to keep the doors from going inwards. You are right that you'd have to drill new holes for magnets to mount further back (unless they have 4 screws, 1 at each end, and you simply move it back 1 set of holes and leave the back holes unattached).

That's one of the reasons I don't like using stands, they take up a little too much real estate making them hard to remove. Also, I don't like using stands because a lot of my old GI Joes had them break off in their feet.

Old Fossil
03-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I hear you. However allow me to play devils advocate for a moment.

In many cases Hasbro can't make the peg holes bigger because of the added articulation. Kenner never had ankle articulation to contend with. So, they could drill a hole an inch into the leg if they were so inclined. Hasbor can't do that. With regards to figures with ankle joints, there's only so far they could drill there and so they are forced to put the hole in the middle of the foot. That area is a bit shallow as well, so it makes it very difficult to make a big hole.

My solution would rather be to make the pegs on the stands just a bit shorter.
Though that may not allow the figures to stand well and stay attached to the stand.

Ok, Devil's Advocate complete.

I can concede the point on some figures, especially the various Leia and Padme sculpts. But for others, especially Clones and the Fetts, I don't see the reasoning for shallow holes. Consider the Saga TIE Pilot, the Legends Sandtrooper, and the VOTC Han Solo. These all have rather small feet -- Han's is almost dainty -- and the Sandtrooper's is comparable in size to the prequel-era Clone types. And yet these all have the deeper holes that allow them to stand firmly on foot-pegs, allowing them a greater variety of action poses (utilizing the pegs) than is possible for the Jango and Hawkbat figures I mentioned above.

To remedy the situation for female characters, I would suggest doing away with ankle articulation altogether to allow for the integration of deeper peg holes. Those figure types typically just stand around, anyway, at least in the displays I have and others I've seen online. On the other hand, Clones, bounty hunters, and their ilk are much more action-oriented and benefit more from ankle articulation, and can also utilize foot-pegs.

Qui-Long Gone
03-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I try freestanding like JT but my kids make stands necessary.....they tend to bump stuff easily....

I'm mixed on ankle joints....although I alwasy prefer the peg hole to be in the heel instead of the foot....it just seems to always work best in the heel.

Having said that I realize the above comment is full of more euphamisms that I wished.....:tired:

Sinscia Fat'o
03-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Comm. Bacara from ROTS was the worst!! I have yet to find a stand that will fit that tiny peg hole! Though VOTC Luke Skywalker (Farm-Boy) was pretty bad as well. I with they would make a standard peg hole and give it to all figures they make...it would make things a lot easier.

JediTricks
03-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I try freestanding like JT but my kids make stands necessary.....they tend to bump stuff easily....Clearly you're not yelling and beating them enough. ;)

I'm mixed on ankle joints....although I alwasy prefer the peg hole to be in the heel instead of the foot....it just seems to always work best in the heel.Besides the additional space the heel used to afford, the other reason for putting the hole in the heels is one of balance, the natural balance point is closer to the heel on these figures than the mid-foot. However, obviously, this is also the reason it's useful for the ankle articulation which eats into the other side of that same area. In the trade-off between peghole and articulation, I'll pick articulation every time, ankle articulation is more useful for posing than knee articulation even.

Old Fossil
03-08-2008, 09:49 PM
In the trade-off between peghole and articulation, I'll pick articulation every time, ankle articulation is more useful for posing than knee articulation even.

Even when it comes to Battle Droids?:classic:

JediTricks
03-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah, those figures are VERY static without ankle posing, the wider the stance, the less likely they'll be to sag and flop over on their stand.