PDA

View Full Version : Oh My Goodness!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jedi_Kal-El
03-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I know this will come as no big surprise to anyone, but I went out this morning and had had to put gas in my car. $3.28 a gallon. Never gone above $3.19 before today. We all knew it was coming anyway, and I know those of you in the west and some in the south have seen worse, but I just thought I'd ask everyone what a gallon is going for on average in your part of the country/world these days.

JediTricks
03-08-2008, 06:40 PM
$3.49 here, and I'm going to have to start siphoning at this point.

jjreason
03-08-2008, 06:52 PM
We're at 1.05 per litre right now. Assuming the money's equal - and it's been pretty close lately - that's $3.99 per gallon. Not good.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I get gas at Costco, a warehouse store like Sam's Club, where it's often 10-20 cents less than regular stations. It's $3.45 around here (I got it for $3.27 a few days ago) at those stations.

One thing I have yet to do is put more than $30 in my tank at one time. Solution? Get gas more frequently (no less than half a tank used up). That will probably end soon. :greedy:

jedi master sal
03-08-2008, 08:13 PM
$3.19 for me. Though since I belong to a fuel rewards program through my local grocery store, I often pay much less than the going rate.

I get 10 cents of PER GALLON, for every $50 I spend there. Not just groceries either, but gift cards for MANY different retailors. TRU included. On average I save 40 cents per gallon due to food purchases and gift cards. On an 18 gallon tank, that's an average of $7.20. So 2 1/3 gallons free basically.

Last August in preperation for Halo 3 I bought the limited edition Halo XBox360. I got it from Best Buy, but first stopped at my grocery store to get $500 in gift cards. It just so happened the gift cards were DOUBLE fuel points to boot, so that saved me $2.00 per gallon right there. I already had 70 cents off per gallon. So, at $2.70 off per gallon and gas being $2.76 at the time, I ended up only paying $1.00 TOTAL for a full tank of gas! (I even took a picture for proof.)

It's an excellent fuel program for consumers and yet somehow the grocery store makes money from it.

Slicker
03-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Gas is going for about $1.49 a liter over here in Japan which comes out to about $4.50 a gallon.

Kidhuman
03-08-2008, 10:38 PM
I have been paying 3.19 for gas the last week or so.

plasticfetish
03-08-2008, 10:51 PM
A little over $3.35 per gallon for regular, but I've seen it at nearly $4 for premium.

Even better, I have an oil burning furnace in my house, so I pay pretty much the same as the going rate for deisel... around $3.70 per gallon. (I'm really looking forward to summer at this point.)

Jedi_Kal-El
03-08-2008, 10:56 PM
(I'm really looking forward to summer at this point.)

I think we all are. Though by then gas is suppose to be over $4.00 for just the regular.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't use gas; Al Gore farts directly into my tank and my car runs like a dream.

Blue2th
03-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Just filled up my Toyota Tercel with a 10 gallon tank. It was $35.00 :ninja:
My V6 Toyota truck is bone dry, and it looks like it's going to stay that way for a while.

Hey does anybody know how to convert plastic action-figures into gas?
If so, I think we could be rich $$ :thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
03-08-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't use gas; Al Gore farts directly into my tank and my car runs like a dream.

Does he use your car to keep searching for Man Bear Pig too?

Blue2th
03-08-2008, 11:07 PM

That's called an "Oklahoma credit card" in some them there parts.

TeeEye7
03-08-2008, 11:50 PM

Same price for us 100 miles north of JT. I think my employer would frown if I followed his plan of action...............;)

General_Grievous
03-09-2008, 12:09 AM
It's stayed between $3.35 and $3.39 for the past month around here. There's an old abandoned gas station around here (I think it used to be a Sunoco) that closed down about seven years ago. It still has prices up that read $1.19 or so per gallon. I think they left it up as a sad reminder.

Tycho
03-09-2008, 05:13 AM
Gas is going for about $1.49 a liter over here in Japan which comes out to about $4.50 a gallon.

Yeah, well most of us drive personal transportation. You go everywhere in an aircraft carrier. Of course it is going to be more expensive! ;)

Seriously though, it's about $75 consistently to fill up my gas tank. I have to use the Premium as I was taught it was best for a V-8. And I just cut back on my driving and plan my errands so I can make several stops on the same trip.

Rebo's_Guitarist
03-09-2008, 07:31 AM
It's about 3.19 here, however my Jeep runs on hopes and dreams, so.......

Last weekend we traveled down to the Twin Cities, ~150 miles south, and we gassed up for 2.79, while up here it was 3.09:(

Slicker
03-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Yeah, well most of us drive personal transportation. You go everywhere in an aircraft carrier. Of course it is going to be more expensive! ;)She only gets about 25 feet per gallon but the 100,000 gallon tank more than makes up for it. :thumbsup:

Exhaust Port
03-09-2008, 08:00 AM
$3.19 for me. Though since I belong to a fuel rewards program through my local grocery store, I often pay much less than the going rate.

I get 10 cents of PER GALLON, for every $50 I spend there. Not just groceries either, but gift cards for MANY different retailors. TRU included. On average I save 40 cents per gallon due to food purchases and gift cards. On an 18 gallon tank, that's an average of $7.20. So 2 1/3 gallons free basically.

Last August in preperation for Halo 3 I bought the limited edition Halo XBox360. I got it from Best Buy, but first stopped at my grocery store to get $500 in gift cards. It just so happened the gift cards were DOUBLE fuel points to boot, so that saved me $2.00 per gallon right there. I already had 70 cents off per gallon. So, at $2.70 off per gallon and gas being $2.76 at the time, I ended up only paying $1.00 TOTAL for a full tank of gas! (I even took a picture for proof.)

It's an excellent fuel program for consumers and yet somehow the grocery store makes money from it.

Giant Eagle? I did the same thing when I needed to buy a tool from Home Depot. When to Giant Eagle, bought $100 gift card for the fuel points, then went next door and bought the tool from Home Depot. I had an employee at Home Depot tell me that a gentleman bought his whole kitchen setup with gift cards ($10,000+) so he could cash in on the fuel points at Giant Eagle. The best is when they offer double points (20 cents per $50 spent).

General_Grievous
03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Scratch what I said earlier. It's now $3.43 per gallon. :frus:

JediTricks
03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Same price for us 100 miles north of JT. I think my employer would frown if I followed his plan of action...............;)Just steal it from the Fire Department, chalk it up to a "friendly rivalry"... and hope they don't light your house on fire as a "retaliation prank". :p

My Mazda has a 15.5 gallon tank, I generally refuel at the quarter-tank range (the gauge mark is way off though) and it's around $33 for that. I always try to fill up so I can gauge my mileage (calculating the amount of gas I just put in - and thus used - against the trip odometer which I reset at every fillup), which has been floating between 23 and 25mpg lately (consistent for my 4-banger: 21 street, 28 hwy).

Premium gasoline (91 octane) isn't generally needed for a modern engine unless it's a higher-compression engine, mostly found only on German cars, where they get more explosion out of the gas in a tighter area via more precision and need that added extra bit to avoid knock and misfire. If you're putting it in your car and it doesn't say "premium fuel required" on the dash and/or fuel door, you're wasting your money (some cars say "premium recommended", like Jeep/Chryslers, there you can use regular 87 octane to save money and you'll only have a minuscule performance reduction). Now, were we talking about eking every last nanosecond out of your zero-to-sixty times, then it'd matter, but for the average SUV, your 0-60 times are embarrassing anyway and you won't notice the performance drop.

Exhaust Port
03-09-2008, 08:38 PM
My car says premium recommended (and its German) but I rarely put it in with no noticeable effects. I would be hard pressed to get any detonation unless I was doing some serious hill climbing or repeatedly burying the pedal which I do neither of. Detonation isn't limited to German cars and their perceived finer engineering. If you're running a turbo or supercharger or towing stuff you need the protection but farting down the road at 60 mph doesn't put the needed load on any engine.

JediTricks
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
If it's a Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW, it's actively bad for your engine, it strains the systems trying to compensate for the lower octane and over time that puts more wear on the machinery. However, if it's a VW, they're not as fragile and precision-themed so it's not a problem.

And you're right about German cars not being the only ones, I was just using them as the example because most of the famous international auto brands that come out of there fall under this situation where other countries' car brands don't have this as overwhelmingly. And I left out "high performance" cars because, well, let's face it, if you don't know your high-priced sports car needs premium, you deserve to have it break down, teach your stupid *** a lesson. :p

Neuroleptic
03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Wow uh . . . yall are seriously going to kill me when I say this, but I'v been complaining about gass going up to 3.15 here in Kansas lately. I know it'll go higher soon though, wich will suck. It costs me about 32 or 33 dollars to fill up my car tank when it's on the E.

Um . . . please don't hurt me. Im new to the board?

jedi master sal
03-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Eagle? I did the same thing when I needed to buy a tool from Home Depot. When to Giant Eagle, bought $100 gift card for the fuel points, then went next door and bought the tool from Home Depot. I had an employee at Home Depot tell me that a gentleman bought his whole kitchen setup with gift cards ($10,000+) so he could cash in on the fuel points at Giant Eagle. The best is when they offer double points (20 cents per $50 spent).

Ah cool, you know about Giant Eagle.

yeah, it's a great program.

Home Depot is there best selling gift card.

Contractors make use of them. (yet you know they don't pass that savings on to their customers...)

I have a further "advantage" (I'm sure you must get that reference, Exhaust Port.) of the fact that my fiancee works for their corporate office. So she knows what is going to be on sale, what cards will be double points, etc. If you go to their website, she maintains that and designs many of the graphics you see on the site.

Blue2th
03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
She only gets about 25 feet per gallon but the 100,000 gallon tank more than makes up for it. :thumbsup:
Actually should be nuclear power for the most part right?

Tycho
03-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, my V-8 Cherokee says to use Premium. Either way, it's not shaving much off the price to fill my tank.

I try to barely drive at all any more, combining errands, and reserving special trips for "fun days," like when I'm going out to do something special.

It costs $75 to fill my tank and I do my best to make that last the whole month, so I b*tch about having to drive any extra - more than I want to.

When I "go out," for any social life, I stick to the places that are very close by here and I can get turned down by just as many girls versus if I went downtown or the beach to have my fragile ego crushed. Meanwhile, it costs me less money to get abused locally.

I don't go on toy runs, but strategically do my shopping when I have connections at the stores telling me "now is the time." Also, when I can, I avail myself of HasbroToyShop and NewForceComics, amongst others. I've cut back so much (due to being uninterested / untempted mostly) that I won't have to go out shopping until almost summer!

So that's that. But I'm already over-spent on gas this month and I'm $50 behind what I budgeted for April's fuel as well. *sigh*

Slicker
03-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Actually should be nuclear power for the most part right?Not the Kitty Hawk. It's the last conventionally powered carrier in the fleet.

TeeEye7
03-09-2008, 10:27 PM
So's Slicker's Mom.
Sorry. Couldn't resist......

Exhaust Port
03-10-2008, 08:46 AM
If it's a Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW, it's actively bad for your engine, it strains the systems trying to compensate for the lower octane and over time that puts more wear on the machinery. However, if it's a VW, they're not as fragile and precision-themed so it's not a problem.

And you're right about German cars not being the only ones, I was just using them as the example because most of the famous international auto brands that come out of there fall under this situation where other countries' car brands don't have this as overwhelmingly. And I left out "high performance" cars because, well, let's face it, if you don't know your high-priced sports car needs premium, you deserve to have it break down, teach your stupid *** a lesson. :p

Modern cars, especially a luxury car, have "knock sensors" that adjust for different octane gas so you can run whatever you want in them. Here's a quote from a Porsche engineer:

All Porsche engines are designed for premium, too, but it's not available everywhere. "Our cars must be able to drive all over the world, and so we are able to run on regular," says Jakob Neusser, director of powertrain development at Porsche's research and development center in Weissach, Germany. "You don't have to feel that a mechanical problem or anything else will happen" using regular gas, even in the highest-performance, regular-production Porsches."

It's 99% advertising hype. The oil industry pushes premium gas since the profit margin is higher. Car manufacturers want to lead buyers to believe that their car is so finely tuned that only the best gas will do. As far as I've ever seen there has never been a formal study to indicate that a change in octane will change your mileage. The percentage change that most drivers claim to get could easily have been achieved by any number of different driving conditions between fillups.

A higher compression ratio by itself doesn't cause detonation, only atmospheric (higher air temps) and engine strain/work load will. A turbo/supercharged engine is preheating the incoming air which can lead to detonation no matter your compression ratio. So unless you bury the pedal on every start the knock detector doesn't even have to do any adjustment and possibly effect the top HP/Torque (but is someone really going to notice 1, 2, 3% less?)

I believe that octane hype is similar to what folks say about the sound quality of Bose equipment, "Better sound through better advertising". So "Better mileage/power through better advertising". It seems car forums are full of threads about this just like audio forums are full of talk about premium speaker cable.

Ah cool, you know about Giant Eagle.

yeah, it's a great program.

Home Depot is there best selling gift card.

Contractors make use of them. (yet you know they don't pass that savings on to their customers...)

I have a further "advantage" (I'm sure you must get that reference, Exhaust Port.) of the fact that my fiancee works for their corporate office. So she knows what is going to be on sale, what cards will be double points, etc. If you go to their website, she maintains that and designs many of the graphics you see on the site.

That's sure is an awesome connection you have there. I'm a huge GE fan, especially since the introduction of Fuel Perks. They are very slowly rolling out more gas stations around us. They added one by my folks so they are pretty lucky. Our nearest one is still a 20 minute drive and we pass probably 5 gas stations on the way so it can be tough to cash in those savings at times.

I heard that they were having problems with the Government over their Fuel Perks program. It was something about the government not liking them discounted a federally taxed item or something like that. Did that ever blow over? I've found that you can't earn points when buying liquor because of the "sin" tax on it.

mtriv73
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM

You've got to love Giant Eagle. We may start shopping there (it's on the way home from work) rather than the Giant that is closer to home just for the gas savings.

I have been paying 3.19 for gas the last week or so.

Blacksburg/Christiansburg always seems to have the cheapest gas in the state. I always stop at the Sheets in Christiansburg to top off the tank on my way to my Dad's house.

I paid $3.27 a gallon yesterday for regular at Costco here in Frederick, MD. My manual says my car should only have premium, but that's cutting into my action figure money so I've switched without any noticable differences.

jedi master sal
03-10-2008, 09:11 AM
That's sure is an awesome connection you have there. I'm a huge GE fan, especially since the introduction of Fuel Perks. They are very slowly rolling out more gas stations around us. They added one by my folks so they are pretty lucky. Our nearest one is still a 20 minute drive and we pass probably 5 gas stations on the way so it can be tough to cash in those savings at times.

I heard that they were having problems with the Government over their Fuel Perks program. It was something about the government not liking them discounted a federally taxed item or something like that. Did that ever blow over? I've found that you can't earn points when buying liquor because of the "sin" tax on it.

No problem with the GOV so far. Actually this is the first I've heard of it. GE is only a regional player, and there are by far many more gas stations around than they. So their small piece of the pie isn't making a dent in the GOV's budget. Hell, if anything, it's brought some relief to the average citizen that free's up money for other things. That enables consumers to spend that money elsewheres which could be a small boon to the local economy.

Edit: I just called my fiancee and asked her directly about the Tax/GOV thing. She says she hasn't heard anything about this. And she'd definitely know since she works in the corporate office. There would have been some office buzz about this if it were true. She's heard nothing,so it's business as usual.

jedi master sal
03-10-2008, 09:20 AM
You've got to love Giant Eagle. We may start shopping there (it's on the way home from work) rather than the Giant that is closer to home just for the gas savings.

Well, don't just shop there either. Besides shopping, as I mentioned, pick up your gift cards there. Here's some good advice, if you are already planning on going out to dinner, or buying from Toys R Us, etc., then stop by Giant Eagle, pick up the associated gift card (since you're already going to be spending the money at these places), and earn yourself free fuel while doing so.

Look for the "Get-go" gas stations besides the actual grocery stores. The Get-go's carry most of the gift cards as well, so you don't have to go so far out of the way. Get-go is the Giant Eagle gas station as you probably already know by now.

Exhaust Port
03-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I can't remember where I heard about the troubles with the government but I hope it's past (it has been a year or so since I last heard). I agree, every little bit helps.

Around here in NE Ohio the Get-Go's are well away from the stores. I expected it to be similar to the WalMart setup where they are in the parking lot of the store but not for us. I'm guessing the startup cost of a new gas station has to be astronomical. The one's I've seen have been converted from other chains.

jedi master sal
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I can't remember where I heard about the troubles with the government but I hope it's past (it has been a year or so since I last heard). I agree, every little bit helps.

Around here in NE Ohio the Get-Go's are well away from the stores. I expected it to be similar to the WalMart setup where they are in the parking lot of the store but not for us. I'm guessing the startup cost of a new gas station has to be astronomical. The one's I've seen have been converted from other chains.

Yes, they are mostly converting old gas stations to new Get-go's. Though good news (I talked to her again), she says more Get-go's are coming to Ohio and specifically NE and closer to Cleveland. SO you are in luck! BTW, IIRC, she also said that most gift cards are currently 20 cents to the gallon per $50 spent. So you might want to look into that. Couple that with the Hasbro promotion and you could be saving quite a bit of money.

(Geez, I sound like I'm pimping the place....well I guess I am, lol.) Thanks for humoring me folks.

-Sal

Exhaust Port
03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
That's awesome news! The wife and I are keeping our fingers crossed that we get one in town. We are in an area of high traffic with a few large roads crossing and we have a GE so hopefully the financial numbers add up and they put one down the street.

jedi master sal
03-10-2008, 04:54 PM
That's awesome news! The wife and I are keeping our fingers crossed that we get one in town. We are in an area of high traffic with a few large roads crossing and we have a GE so hopefully the financial numbers add up and they put one down the street.

What city are you in specifically? I can try to find out where the closest one is going to be for you (new in development). Can't promise I can get that info, but I'll try.

-Sal

Exhaust Port
03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Streetsboro is our nearest city/Giant Eagle while the closest GetGo is on the west side of Twinsburg.

JediTricks
03-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Yeah, my V-8 Cherokee says to use Premium. Either way, it's not shaving much off the price to fill my tank.Jeep "recommends" mid-grade gas for the 5.7L V8, and "recommends" premium for the 6.1L V8, but they're only recommendations, you won't notice much of a power loss since you don't do a lot of hauling or high-performance driving. And it's a MASSIVE drain on your wallet, you're talking about a 30 cent difference per gallon, your car holds 20.8 gallons, that's a difference of about $6 per fillup, that ain't nothing.

It's 99% advertising hype. The oil industry pushes premium gas since the profit margin is higher. Car manufacturers want to lead buyers to believe that their car is so finely tuned that only the best gas will do. As far as I've ever seen there has never been a formal study to indicate that a change in octane will change your mileage. The percentage change that most drivers claim to get could easily have been achieved by any number of different driving conditions between fillups.

A higher compression ratio by itself doesn't cause detonation, only atmospheric (higher air temps) and engine strain/work load will. A turbo/supercharged engine is preheating the incoming air which can lead to detonation no matter your compression ratio. So unless you bury the pedal on every start the knock detector doesn't even have to do any adjustment and possibly effect the top HP/Torque (but is someone really going to notice 1, 2, 3% less?)I've read several independent experts saying otherwise, that these types of engines use higher compression in a smaller space from the precision of the engine to eke out more power, and that using lower octane gas causes a less-controlled and premature burn in the cylinder before the piston reaches the top of its stroke, it's dieseling which is not good. Knock sensors retard timing to reduce this, but they only engage after a certain level of knock is achieved, and neither option is good for the engine. I tell you what, if I owned a Mercedes or a Porsche, I wouldn't put it to risk based on something I read on the internet attributed to "a Porsche engineer", those are expensive cars to repair.

Tycho, that is all fairly different from your American V8 motor, do the research, you'll see.

I have to fuel up in the next few days, and gas jumped another 6 cents or so around here, it's at $3.5x which makes me a sad panda. On the other hand, pounding the peddle today and blasting past all those SUVs on the freeway was great. (There was one Lexus SUV behind me which absolutely refused to do anything lower than 90mph, and since physics dictated my 80mph at the time was going to cause her to drive into me rather than safely through me, I changed lanes and let her blast by. She was crazy for going that fast in an SUV, but it was competently-handling so I can't knock her for it too much.)

Jedi_Kal-El
03-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Well after going down to $3.24 yesterday, it shot up to $3.45 today(and that's for the cheapest). I new it was gonna go back up, but not that high in that short of time. At this rate it should top $4 by mid April, if not sooner. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to see an Amishman about a horse.

JediTricks
03-11-2008, 03:44 PM
The automobile is far more efficient than a horse. You gotta feed a horse, their feed isn't cheap and it's nowhere near as energy-rich as gasoline. And you have to put in a lot of care and maintenance with a horse that you don't a car. And you have to let the danged beastie sleep and stuff. And then you get what, 20 bumpy mph out of it? And it doesn't even have a trunk!

Jedi_Kal-El
03-11-2008, 06:46 PM
The automobile is far more efficient than a horse. You gotta feed a horse, their feed isn't cheap and it's nowhere near as energy-rich as gasoline. And you have to put in a lot of care and maintenance with a horse that you don't a car. And you have to let the danged beastie sleep and stuff. And then you get what, 20 bumpy mph out of it? And it doesn't even have a trunk!

No kidding. That's why most of the Amish here ride bikes as well. As for the horse, I'll keep it as a backdoor option.:rolleyes: A 24 mile bike ride just doesn't appeal to me at this point in the year. No, screw it, I'll just take the car.

Kidhuman
03-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Too bad there isnt any snow here or I would skitch to work.

JediTricks
03-11-2008, 09:28 PM
No kidding. That's why most of the Amish here ride bikes as well. As for the horse, I'll keep it as a backdoor option.:rolleyes: A 24 mile bike ride just doesn't appeal to me at this point in the year. No, screw it, I'll just take the car.Bikes?!? What the heck is that? That's cheating! :p

24 miles ain't that bad on bike if you have 3 or 4 hours to spare, but for the rest of us, the automobile is a far more efficient use of time.

Too bad there isnt any snow here or I would skitch to work.How do you skitch in the snow? Here we just grab onto bumpers while skateboarding, a la Back to the Future. I miss my skateboard, now there was a mode of transportation that was truly inefficient. I don't actually MISS my skateboard, I know where it is, I just am too fat and old to ride it anymore.

UKWildcat
03-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Ran by Shell today, $3.14 a gallon; not too bad considering some of the other prices you all are posting.

Rocketboy
03-12-2008, 12:16 AM
I saw $3.45 today.

Kidhuman
03-12-2008, 05:37 AM
How do you skitch in the snow? Here we just grab onto bumpers while skateboarding, a la Back to the Future. I miss my skateboard, now there was a mode of transportation that was truly inefficient. I don't actually MISS my skateboard, I know where it is, I just am too fat and old to ride it anymore.

Its kind of like ice skating with your boots on, grab the bumper and go with it.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Bikes?!? What the heck is that? That's cheating! :p

24 miles ain't that bad on bike if you have 3 or 4 hours to spare, but for the rest of us, the automobile is a far more efficient use of time.

Apparently it's not cheating because it's not motorized. According to all the Amish ppl that I work with anyway.

No, 24 miles wouldn't be bad. From May to Oct. anyway. I'm not riding a bike in 20 below weather with snowy conditions and icy roads, no sir. Remeber JT, some of us actually have to go though winter where we live. :p

UKWildcat
03-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Ran by Shell today, $3.14 a gallon; not too bad considering some of the other prices you all are posting.

$3.19 at the same Shell today.

JediTricks
03-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Its kind of like ice skating with your boots on, grab the bumper and go with it.Sounds like a great way to blow out a knee. :D

Apparently it's not cheating because it's not motorized. According to all the Amish ppl that I work with anyway. Too weird. Maybe they're progressive Amish.

No, 24 miles wouldn't be bad. From May to Oct. anyway. I'm not riding a bike in 20 below weather with snowy conditions and icy roads, no sir. Remeber JT, some of us actually have to go though winter where we live. :pOh, what a baby you are, "wah wah wah, I can't peddle my 10-speed through icy snow because I'll break my neck and my legs will freeze off". ;)

Jedi_Kal-El
03-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a great way to blow out a knee. :D

I wouldn't want to try it.

Too weird. Maybe they're progressive Amish.

Possibly. I have noticed they are a few out here that sometimes break the rules a bit.

Oh, what a baby you are, "wah wah wah, I can't peddle my 10-speed through icy snow because I'll break my neck and my legs will freeze off". ;)

You're damn right! :lipsrsealed:lol

JediTricks
03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Paid $3.57 per gallon today. I would have paid $3.51 but the 2 stations I saw with that had no windshield squeegee and I wanted to get the fuzz from the rags off my freshly-washed windshield (it was catching all the sunlight). 77 cents extra for a squeegee, it was worth it just for the peace of mind. Plus, it was a Shell station, I like using them over Arco.

Besides the 3 prices listed above, I also saw $3.59 and $3.67, which is disturbing.

Blue2th
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I filled up two vehicles in the last week at 3.15 a gallon because I thought it was going to go up. Gas in Albuquerque is holding at 3.13 to 3.15 for regular. I keep expecting it to jump though. Don't think it will be going down anytime soon, but hopefully I could be wrong.

plasticfetish
03-13-2008, 10:36 PM
77 cents extra for a squeegee, it was worth it just for the peace of mind.Now I know what to get you for your birthday. :thumbsup: (Note to self: pick up a squeegee for JT at the store.)

JediTricks
03-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Oh, but what about the water and the heavily-diluted detergent, eh? :p

BTW, the car is holding steady around 25mpg.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-14-2008, 08:23 AM
I'll be interested to see what it's going for here in about 6 or 7 hours. They usually up the price here on Friday afternoons right before rush hour. I'll have to report back on that later on.

Jargo
03-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Prices are high here. petrol/gas is about five pence cheaper than diesel locally. Luckily we have a car with a large tank and that's incredibly fuel efficient. it's slightly more confusing because fuel is sold by the litre here. but if I calculated correctly our prices are comparable with your upper price points.

In the governments recent budget announcements they brought in a tax on gaz guzzlers an extra 1000 in the first year of ownership on things like executive cars, people carriers and luxury vehicles like Hummers. though frankly, anyone who can afford to buy and run one of those vehicles isn't going to balk at that extra levy. Instead they should have announced spending on public transport infrastructures. reduce the need for people to make all those short journeys that snarl up traffic and use the most fuel. Plus create tons of jobs. Also they should have taxed people with more than one car more. families that all live in the same abode where every family member owns a vehicle. A levy on every car after the first with a sliding scale the more cars there are.
I'll be honest and say that if my partner and i didn't have the health problems we do we'd be without a car. unfortunately the nature of the problems requires frequent visits to hospitals at times when public transport is ether unsafe or infrequent. it's also there for emergency use in dire circumstances. I'd love to walk everywhere like i used to. I'd think nothing of walking five miles to college. i just can't manage walking for any length of time these days. our car is a necessary evil. I choose to use it as little as possible though.

Tycho
03-15-2008, 01:39 AM
In San Diego:

$3.78 Reg
$3.97 Premium

Being able to cuss my $#@#! off on the forums over this? Priceless.

TeeEye7
03-15-2008, 04:50 AM
I'd love to walk everywhere like i used to. I'd think nothing of walking five miles to college.

This is what I missed the most about the time I lived in Spain: the ease of getting around by foot.

No way are California cities geared for foot traffic. We're prisoners to the car because of our love of urban sprawl (due to the fact that gas was once inexpensive since we used to produce the majority of our own fuel).

Love to walk. Wish it could be so.

plasticfetish
03-15-2008, 05:03 AM
No way are California cities geared for foot traffic.I wouldn't exactly say that. When I lived in San Francisco I walked everywhere... or took the bus, train and trolley. Maybe drove on the weekend if I wanted to head out of town, but that was it.

Now, if you're talkin' southern California, then that's another matter.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-15-2008, 08:34 AM
I like to walk around town when I can. On the north side here, the TRU, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Target are all fairly close to one another, so I can walk to and from if I want.
There are also several places close to my house(supermarket, corner store)where I can walk if I choose, and don't need to get alot.

TeeEye7
03-15-2008, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't exactly say that. When I lived in San Francisco I walked everywhere... or took the bus, train and trolley. Maybe drove on the weekend if I wanted to head out of town, but that was it.

Now, if you're talkin' southern California, then that's another matter.

San Francisco's part of California? Since when?

;)

JediTricks
04-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Gas around here is $3.83 a gallon, but on the way to west LA I saw $4.05 a gallon... FOR REGULAR!!! Insanity! When I was about 30 miles east in Irwindale, gas was about 20 cents cheaper, it saddens me to think of $3.65 a gallon as "cheap gas".

Jedi_Kal-El
04-19-2008, 10:04 PM
It's fluctuating between $3.43 and $3.48 here for right now. Man, $4.05 for regular, is nuts, JT. I'd hate to see where you guys are this summer when the rest of us are suppose to be paying $4+.

TeeEye7
04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I'd hate to see where you guys are this summer when the rest of us are suppose to be paying $4+.

You've got that right, Kal! They're gonna roll it in peanut butter with glass shards when they let us have it! :eek:

bobafrett
04-20-2008, 07:02 AM
We are at $3.71 around my Chicago suburb. Makes me feel like taking out my bike.

Blue2th
04-20-2008, 08:32 AM
$3.39 here in Albuquerque. $4.05 for diesel, which means all the groceries are going up, well everything is going up.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Back when I was in my "find the grammatical errors on signs" days (still not out of those days, actually) I had someone snap this shot of me. Can you find the erroneous item in this picture? But notice the price of PREMIUM?!? :cry:

I got it for $3.67 at Costco yesterday, waiting in lines that harken back to '70s shortages.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
You know BCJ, the funny thing about that is I can remember when a few people used to actually complain about gas being between $1.40 and $1.80. Wonder how much they'd do that now?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Back when I was in my "find the grammatical errors on signs" days (still not out of those days, actually) I had someone snap this shot of me. Can you find the erroneous item in this picture?

I've been staring intently for 45 seconds now.

I give up.

bigbarada
04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
It's the 'Automatic Teller Machine' Machine!:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Damn' my feeble brain. :sad:

UKWildcat
06-23-2008, 11:35 PM

$3.99 a gallon now, went up 85 cents over the past 3 months. Cost about $62 to fill up the ride today. And I know, it is only going to get worse. :(

Tycho
06-24-2008, 02:58 PM
You're lucky. I have to buy premium (for a V-8) and I think I'm at $4.62 per gallon now.

That means, regular would be $4.42.

I doubt there's anywhere in San Diego County that's still under $4 gallon.

I watched a special on CNN which reports that 40% of Brazil's autos operate on sugar cane ethanol (our ethanol is perhaps misappropriately "corn focused.") Perhaps most of our mainland environment is not well-suited to growing sugar, and that crop does better in the Caribbean and the Southern Tropics?

But it was reported that sugar-based ethanol was a better product than corn-based fuel.

GM is also working out the bugs on a 40 mile battery that works in conjunction with an ethanol hybrid engine, which only switches over after the 40 miles. It's a really easy recharge (3 hour), too.

I think that in 5 years, almost none of us will be driving gasoline engine cars.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-24-2008, 04:04 PM
I think that in 5 years, almost none of us will be driving gasoline engine cars.

In 5 years, gas may be way too high priced for anyone to buy anyway.

Lazer Brain
06-24-2008, 04:08 PM
gas just hit 4.00 a gal regular here in texas, yes it is getting crazy.
later

Blue2th
06-24-2008, 04:15 PM
I know they grow a lot of sugar cane in Florida. The rest of the U.S. gets some sugar from there, though some of it is from sugar beets.

So isn't ethynol just fermented vegetables or fruits? and you can make it from just about anything?

Didn't Master-Blaster make methane from pig sh*t?

Jedi_Kal-El
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Gas here just dropped to $3.99 after hovering at $4.17 for a few weeks. I expect it to rise again in the next week.

Tycho
06-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Different kinds of veggies / plants make better ethanol than others. Sugar is supposedly the best.

40% of Brazil's cars use sugar ethanol. They drill for their own oil for regular gasoline. The country imports ZERO barrels of foreign oil! Gas prices are affordable across the board there, though ethanol costs less than regular, and is thus preferable to many Brazillians.

They have that bikini wax, and now THIS! A superior country!

Blue2th
06-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Different kinds of veggies / plants make better ethanol than others. Sugar is supposedly the best.

40% of Brazil's cars use sugar ethanol. They drill for their own oil for regular gasoline. The country imports ZERO barrels of foreign oil! Gas prices are affordable across the board there, though ethanol costs less than regular, and is thus preferable to many Brazillians.

They have that bikini wax, and now THIS! A superior country!

Se, and Carnival too.

Must be nice to be able to thumb their noses at the rest of the world, especially the Arabs.
It would be nice to see the Arabs have to sell off their golden guilded palaces because nobody wants to buy what they have anymore. Then sell them food which they can't grow themselves at obscene prices, and get our money back. Though with their money they already own a lot of things including power and influence in the U.S.

Tycho
06-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Our purchase of foreign oil is a military strategy actually.

Let's say that doing things like fueling our rockets and moving our aircraft carriers across the oceans takes oil.

Let's say that every landmass on earth has oil reserves. Wouldn't that be a surprise?

Then let's say we buy and use everyone else's first.

What's the end strategic military result?

Well, foreign oil reserves are totally depleted and they CANNOT fuel rockets or steam warships. However, we still have our oil reserves that we haven't tapped yet - maybe because we claimed we were saving the polar bear. Maybe because whatever we claimed, we would up secure knowing that we're the last nation on earth that can steam an aircraft carrier or fuel ICBMs, and thus we stay secure.

Blue2th
06-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Our purchase of foreign oil is a military strategy actually.

Let's say that doing things like fueling our rockets and moving our aircraft carriers across the oceans takes oil.

Let's say that every landmass on earth has oil reserves. Wouldn't that be a surprise?

Then let's say we buy and use everyone else's first.

What's the end strategic military result?

Well, foreign oil reserves are totally depleted and they CANNOT fuel rockets or steam warships. However, we still have our oil reserves that we haven't tapped yet - maybe because we claimed we were saving the polar bear. Maybe because whatever we claimed, we would up secure knowing that we're the last nation on earth that can steam an aircraft carrier or fuel ICBMs, and thus we stay secure.
Ah! you mean he who dies last with the most toys wins strategy! I know it well! lol

Anyways one of the reasons oil is so high is that the dollar won't buy as much as it used to. So in the international market, the dollar has to compete with other currencies for the commodity. There has been a lot of talk on what is causing about a third of the current price being caused by speculation on the commodities market.
Bottom line is who made the dollar weak to begin with. Who has caused the U.S economy to take a sudden nose-dive by changing and deregulating the laws to over-extend credit to home owners, causing the credit crunch, thereby causing the weak dollar?
The interest rate gets cut, the dollar gets weaker.
Who owns the banks?

CaptainSolo1138
06-24-2008, 09:59 PM
The first post in this thread was made less than four months ago and the prices we were complaining about then were a dollar less than they are now. Amazing.

Yeah, I totally accept the argument that gas prices are simply a reflection of average inflation.:rolleyes:

El Chuxter
06-24-2008, 10:35 PM
I stopped at the gas station earlier today, and the attendant wouldn't even take cash. He said he was only accepting souls.

JediTricks
06-24-2008, 11:58 PM
$4.59 is what I'm paying in Hollywood. I've seen as low as $4.53 in the past few days, but by then I had already paid $4.59. The Mazda is getting around 24-25mpg though, that's pretty decent - it went into the shop a few weeks ago and every time it does the mileage drops to around 21mpg for that period because they have to run the engine without the car moving to do tests and such, but thankfully it went back up in the next fillup. My dad's diesel would be paying $5.23 around here if it weren't using mostly biodiesel.

CaptainSolo1138
06-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Rocketboy and I were trying to figure out a gas budget for our travel to mabu-con and best we could figure, gas is over $5 a gallon in Canuckistan (~$1.35/litre). Can someone confirm that?

mabudonicus
06-25-2008, 11:29 AM
yeah, it's around 1.30-40 per litre hereabouts- tho you'll be pleased to know that the border IS 10 minutes away, there's options
:beard: Iso&Baws
SO glad I don't drive

Jedi_Kal-El
06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
I stopped at the gas station earlier today, and the attendant wouldn't even take cash. He said he was only accepting souls.

Not surprising Chux. Most stopped taking Credit Cards. Pretty soon they're going to want your firstborn.

Blue2th
06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Twice in Albuquerque and I have heard that it is happening in other places the authorities have caught guys in trucks or vans with tanks in them driving right over the little caps where the tankers refuel the gas station, and they have been siphoning or pumping out diesel into their trucks and driving away.
One guy had a hatch in the bottom of his van and a pump and storage tank inside.
Who knows how many people just drive off in their cars after filling up. People are getting desperate.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Twice in Albuquerque and I have heard that it is happening in other places the authorities have caught guys in trucks or vans with tanks in them driving right over the little caps where the tankers refuel the gas station, and they have been siphoning or pumping out diesel into their trucks and driving away.
One guy had a hatch in the bottom of his van and a pump and storage tank inside.
Who knows how many people just drive off in their cars after filling up. People are getting desperate.

They have said that gas drive offs and other crimes are inceasing these days. Funny thing about that is that they're saying they can't figure out why.:confused:

Darth Cruel
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM

I have been hearing about these incidents for a long time, now. I remember back in '01 when the gas prices plummeted and I was paying $0.89 per gallon in Bakersfield, CA (gas is always a little cheaper there because there are refineries right there and there is almost zero cost to get the product to the gas stations) and there were still stories like this going on.

TeeEye7
06-26-2008, 10:31 AM
....(gas is always a little cheaper there because there are refineries right there and there is almost zero cost to get the product to the gas stations)....

Not any more! :upset:

The local guys are bending us over just like the Saudis. It doesn't matter that we have local refineries and the fact that we're the third largest oil-producing area in the nation. We're paying through the nose, too.

El Chuxter
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Yesterday, in Baker, CA (midpoint between LA and Vegas), I saw $5 gas for the first time.

I considered $4.19 in Vegas a bargain.

Tycho
06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
$4.99 per gallon for premium today. :cry:

$4.79 reg. in San Diego.

DarthQuack
06-26-2008, 03:21 PM
I think the most my total has come to for filling my car is around $43.

jedi master sal
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I think the most my total has come to for filling my car is around $43.

So you have what a 9 gallon tank??? heh heh.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-26-2008, 04:47 PM
$4.99 per gallon for premium today. :cry:

$4.79 reg. in San Diego.

My goodness. I feel bad for you Tycho, yet at the same time I'm sure we'll be seeing those prices here in the near future.

DarthQuack
06-26-2008, 04:55 PM
So you have what a 9 gallon tank??? heh heh.

10 or 11 :P and I usually get 360 miles to a tank.

Old Fossil
06-26-2008, 09:28 PM
My goodness. I feel bad for you Tycho, yet at the same time I'm sure we'll be seeing those prices here in the near future.

At the Fortress of Solitude?:grin:

Jedi_Kal-El
06-27-2008, 01:56 AM
At the Fortress of Solitude?:grin:

Unfortunate isn't it. lol

The Jor-El Hologram runs on mid grade. Most people don't know that. :D

JediTricks
06-27-2008, 02:05 AM
I think the most my total has come to for filling my car is around $43.I just used my last 2 gas receipts to get 4 free tacos (2 for me, 2 for my sis) at Jack in the Box tonight, my June 11th one was $48, my June 22nd one was $51. :cry:

My goodness. I feel bad for you Tycho, yet at the same time I'm sure we'll be seeing those prices here in the near future.Don't feel too bad, his car doesn't actually NEED premium, he just doesn't want to risk it because they "recommend" it.

Tycho
06-27-2008, 04:08 AM
The label inside my gas cap says, "Use Premium Unleaded Fuel Only."

I follow Jeep's maintainance recommendations to the letter, thus I will only blame Jeep and not second guess myself if anything goes wrong.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-27-2008, 07:52 AM
I just used my last 2 gas receipts to get 4 free tacos (2 for me, 2 for my sis) at Jack in the Box tonight, my June 11th one was $48, my June 22nd one was $51. :cry:

I miss having Jack in the Box around. Love that place.

Don't feel too bad, his car doesn't actually NEED premium, he just doesn't want to risk it because they "recommend" it.

Most cars can get by with the cheaper grade. Just use fuel additives to keep it from knocking.

mtriv73
06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
By the time you buy the fuel additives, it's cheaper to just buy premium gas. I've tried 87 octane gas in my Passat and it just isn't as smooth. The problem is, it says it needs 91 octane and all I can find around here is 89 or 93. Mixing half a tank of each is too much trouble to save 10 cents a gallon in half of a 14 gallon tank.

JediTricks
06-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Ok, so here's the deal, I put in more research. The Jeep 5.9L engine in question can run on regular fuel, but the folks at the Jeep division of Chrysler programmed the PCM (the car's engine computer) to run on premium only rather than let it behave variably (the way the newest version does, I believe), claiming performance enhancements, so if you want to run it on regular you have to take it to a dealership and have the PCM "flashed" (reprogrammed) for regular. The reason they even have this option is because the Dodge division of Chrysler uses the same engine in one of their Ram pickups, only it runs on regular. That, folks, is why I try to avoid Chrysler as much as possible. (I try to avoid Ford as much as possible for other reasons, even though my Mazda is a joint effort between Mazda and Ford.)

By the time you buy the fuel additives, it's cheaper to just buy premium gas. I've tried 87 octane gas in my Passat and it just isn't as smooth. The problem is, it says it needs 91 octane and all I can find around here is 89 or 93. Mixing half a tank of each is too much trouble to save 10 cents a gallon in half of a 14 gallon tank.Yeah, I mentioned this 3 months ago (when gas was A BUCK CHEAPER!!!), German cars are a pain in the butt like that because the German engine design ethic generally tries to squeeze more power from the motor by building it to run at higher compression to save on space without lacking performance, but this requires a better quality of gas to avoid dieseling.

Tycho
06-28-2008, 08:38 PM
So, extra trouble to save $0.20 per gallon, with a 20 gallon tank, or $4 / maybe $8-12 per month?

That's not the issue. It's now like $300/ month for me in gas. If it was "only" $288 that's not going to stop me from complaining or hurting any less.

$12 a month is $144 a year. That's still not a lot to hurt me. I'm going to spend more on the Millennium Falcon on July 26.

The pain is in the whole price amount: when it was $2.49 gallon for premium, I could fill up for $50 and might only spend $150 / month on gasoline, comfortably driving wherever / whenever I wanted.

Now I'd worry about saving less than what I used to pay per month out of the whole year's gas expenditure? That's simply not the problem. At least this way I don't have to bother with any modification to my Jeep's maintainance.

JediTricks
06-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, around $12 off $300 is correct. Hey, if you can afford to pi** away your money to the oil companies, by all means, go for it.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-30-2008, 11:21 AM
I tell you what. I can't remember the last time I filled my tank to full on either of my vehicles. It takes me less that 3/4 of a tank to get to work and back in a week, so I usually only fill it that far.

Over the past coupkle of weeks I've been carpooling with a buddy to work as well. I drive one week, and he drives the next. It saves me between 30 and 40 buck when I don't drive that week.

JediTricks
06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
I always do fillups so I can keep track of my mileage. Plus, it means I have to refuel less often.

Blue2th
06-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Smith's Grocery store has it where if you buy x amount of groceries you get a certain percentage off your gas, $30 you get 5 cents, $60 10 cents and so on. I bought $62 worth of groceries, and got the 10 cents off per gallon when I filled up. They built a gas station on the same lot, so it's right over to the gas pump after food shopping. Regular is 3.88 with discount it's 3.78. Still ended up paying over $100 in one trip.

Jedi_Kal-El
06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Wow, I havn't heard the name Smith's since I moved to the midwest. I have heard however that Kroger does own the Smith's chain now.

JediTricks
06-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Kroeger is the 3rd largest retailer in the country after Wal-mart and Home Depot, above Costco, Target, and Kmart/Sears. Scary!

There used to be a Smitty's Grocery next to my apartment in Arizona, they were a nifty store with more than just food, but way more expensive than the Mega Foods I worked at down the road. Smitty's got bought by Smith's, and a year later Smith's got bought by Fred Meyer, who 2 years later got bought by Kroeger.

Blue2th
06-30-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah, all the budget food in Smith's is Kroeger brand. I didn't know they were the third largest retailer. I find some stuff there cheaper than Walmart (they are not the low price leader on everything) other stuff not. What's convenient is one Smith's is right next door to Walmart, around the corner is Target. So I do a lot of hopping from one store to the next. I use coupons too. The one who has the best deal within reason gets my money. Keeping in mind the negative aspects of shopping at Walmart is not necessarily where I would do the majority of my shopping anyways.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Up in Reno where I was last week, there were some stations selling 85 octane gas for about $.10 cheaper. Had a couple of news reports there whether it was good to put in your tank or not (they were non-commital but cautious).

JediTricks
07-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Kroeger is the second-largest food seller in the nation after Wal-mart. :p

Jedi_Kal-El
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Kroeger is the second-largest food seller in the nation after Wal-mart. :p

I like Kroger because they usually have great weekly deals on things like soda, milk , etc. I do most of my grocery shopping there and at Aldi. Though I do pick some things up from Wal-Mart that might not be cheaper elsewhere.

Also, to get in tune with the topic. Kroger has deals on gas as most big retail food chains with gas stations do when you purchase X amount of groceries.

Wal-Marts with gas stations on the other hand(at least in my area)have gas for at least 10 to 15 cents cheaper than most places.

JediTricks
07-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Finally found gas today that was under $4.5x, it was $4.45, then a few blocks later it was $4.47 (same chain, different sides of the street). I filled up, came to $50 and change, so I took full advantage of the squeegee and free air. :p (The car needed both, the tires were 2 lbs low each because I had lowered them from the insane amount the mechanic put in while they were hot; and the air in LA leaves orange dust all over windshields after a short amount of time.)

I prefer my groceries from Ralphs, they're a local chain owned by Kroeger, they have a reputation for being the expensive store, but they're actually pretty much the same or cheaper than the others (Albertons and Vons), and Ralphs is a cleaner, nicer store that takes better care of their backroom stock (very important for frozen food), has better produce, and has nicer house brand products (though Kroeger's been pushing some of the Ralphs products out lately).

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Got gas for $4.41 today. I just put in $20 (had to be cash to get that price... didn't even see the credit card price listed anywhere) at an ARCO. And on the save-some-cents deal with groceries, I haven't seen any of those around me (but I mainly shop just at Stater Bros., a local So Cal chain that has pretty darn good prices most of the time).

jedi master sal
07-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Woot, I got gas for $3.62/gal. yesterday. Then again, I had 37 cents off per gallon using my "Fuel Perks" discount from my local grocery chain. Giant Eagle, is the name of the grocery chain, in case anyone is curious. Number 21 of North American Food Retailers and the 32nd largest privately held corporation overall. It was powerful enough to kick Kroeger's butt out of town.

Tycho
07-08-2008, 03:51 AM
I'm just going to second JediTricks' appreciation for Ralph's.

That's been my grocery store of choice for most of my life actually.

Uh...is there anything pathetic about that statement? Hope not.

But yes, for JT's reasons, it's a good store. Vons is less conveniently located down here by me (depends where in San Diego you live though - I'm sure Ralph's is inconvenient for others). Albertson's has even fewer locations.

I think Albertson's has the cheapest prices, but they were harder to get to.

I pay no attention to giftcard gimmicks for gas or toys. If I need groceries, I need groceries. I don't compound the issues, nor do I care if I lose out on $5 savings here or there. It doesn't make a difference in the end scheme of things to nickel and dime everything and spend time worrying about it (IMO).

JediTricks
07-08-2008, 05:58 AM
I used to be a big fan of Lucky's, but they got bought by Albertsons who has slowly slid into mediocrity. My sister also believed them to be the cheapest, but when Ralphs Club is taken into account I showed her Albertsons is not quite as good in pricing (their club prices are weaaaak!).

I paid $4.43 today for gas at the new cheap station I found, it dropped 2 cents since last week. Wow, now I can afford that new gumball I've been lookin' at!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I have noticed a few stations that have actually reduced their prices (right, not by much, but lower is better than higher). I squeezed in a few gallons at $4.39 the other day.

Tycho
07-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Which gumball do you want? I like that big blue one that's in the machine at Toys R Us. I've almost saved up $0.25 to get it, too. Maybe I'll wait to add it to my stash at Midnite Madness!

DarthQuack
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Saw gas for $4.19, hoping to push off filling up until I go on vacation Saturday.

jamesbondo07
07-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Hopefully we will be getting some relief. Oil has droppped about $9 a barrel in the last two days. I just love how they give all these excuses on why it goes up but the only reason they can give for it going down is because they fear high prices is hurting the economy. :rolleyes: If that is the case why didn't they go down sooner. Oh wait, 4th of July weekend, they have to make sure and get a killing off of that weekend before they can go down.

UKWildcat
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Gas prices are still around $3.99 a gallon here. Surprisingly, that is the same amount when I filled up a few weeks ago.

El Chuxter
07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Since we seemed to switch topics, the only local supermarkets are a really carpy Albertsons (think half the selection of a normal one), two filthy Stater Bros (an Inland Empire chain, and not a good one), and a mediocre Food 4 Less. There's no Ralph's anywhere around, but we tend to save most grocery purchases for our trips into town, and go to Costco (for bulk items), Trader Joes (for most other stuff), and Vons (for stuff not at Trader Joes).

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Which gumball do you want? I like that big blue one that's in the machine at Toys R Us. I've almost saved up $0.25 to get it, too. Maybe I'll wait to add it to my stash at Midnite Madness!You haven't been looking at those machines lately, have you? Those big gumballs are usually 50 cents or even a buck now. Totally outrageous IMO! And think about this, a "gas tax holiday" wouldn't even get you one of those gumballs on those savings. :p

Since we seemed to switch topics, the only local supermarkets are a really carpy Albertsons (think half the selection of a normal one), two filthy Stater Bros (an Inland Empire chain, and not a good one), and a mediocre Food 4 Less. There's no Ralph's anywhere around, but we tend to save most grocery purchases for our trips into town, and go to Costco (for bulk items), Trader Joes (for most other stuff), and Vons (for stuff not at Trader Joes).Stater Bros. used to be here, and they used to not suck (back when Alpha Beta was a big supermarket chain too), but then something happened, and now "in the heartlaaaand!" doesn't have the meaning it used to.

Food 4 Less is always mediocre. They're also owned by Kroeger, and they're run by pure evil, stole their business plan from Mega Foods (who then went out of business 6 years later). However, if it weren't for Food 4 Less, I wouldn't have gotten my Froot Loops box tops for my POTF2 Han Stormtrooper. :D

Trader Joes is more or less where I go for all non-frozen food these days.

El Chuxter
07-10-2008, 05:48 AM
Ditto. I was floored when I actually compared prices and found that the supposed specialty store was about half the price on so many staple items. Juice especially, and it's much higher quality juice as opposed to the 10% juice, 90% corn syrup that costs twice as much everywhere else.

Blue2th
07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
The price of gas started to go down about nine cents a few days ago, till someone called Moojahadeenajab or whatever the hell his name is, and said "you better fire off a couple of missles, the price of gas is dropping" :rolleyes:

Tycho
07-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I saved up $0.25 cents today and got a gumball from the machine at Toys R Us!

Actually I got 2! The machine must have jammed for the previous "player" and I got 2 gumballs for the price of one!

I picked the raspberry apple flavor. It comes out PURPLE. That's pretty. But it's a really big piece and I had to spit it out even before I could tell if it would lose its flavor because my jaw ached from chewing it.

I saved the other piece so I might have it later or roll it on my desk and knock over Star Wars figures.

In any event, yes indeed: saving $0.25 did indeed make a difference in my life today!

Roll them gas prices down! :thumbsup: We'll all have gumballs again! :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I filled up today. The Shells here (and perhaps nation wide?) have $.05 cents off per gallon on Thursdays. Well, yesterday the price was $3.99, like it has been for a while, and today it was $3.97. For those of you who are not good at math (;)), that is only 2 cents off. A little disappointing, sure, but still cheaper than the Exxon right across the street ($3.99, usually their prices are identical [w/ exception to Thursdays of course]).

So I saved about $.32 cents!!! Suck on that gumball Tycho!!! :p

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Drove past an Albertson's (grocery store chain) gas station yesterday, saw high grade for $4.399, mid grade for $4.299, so I guessed the pattern would have 87 octane for $4.199 (a decent price around here), but it was... $3.999! :eek: Needless to say, I put some in my tank.

p.s. Speaking of weird things related to cars, the other day, parked in another grocery store lot was a car just like mine (same model, color, and even dealership license plate holder). No big whoop, except that the first 6 characters on the license plate were exactly the same and the last digit being off by 3. :eek: Thought someone was cruising around in my ride without my permission.

TeeEye7
08-01-2008, 08:00 PM
p.s. Speaking of weird things related to cars, the other day, parked in another grocery store lot was a car just like mine (same model, color, and even dealership license plate holder). No big whoop, except that the first 6 characters on the license plate were exactly the same and the last digit being off by 3. :eek: Thought someone was cruising around in my ride without my permission.

Did you stick around to see the driver? Maybe they looked just like you, except were shorter. :that'ssome spookycoincidence: :shocked:

Blue2th
08-01-2008, 08:16 PM
It was one of those pod people from "Invaders of the Body Snatchers" learning, observing everything you do. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2008, 11:27 PM
I could've made it sound like a joke if I said I had just rented Attack of the Clones, Duplicity, Back to the Future II, and Groundhog Day from the video store.

JediTricks
08-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Tracked down $4.09 gas today. Still way too high, but better than what we were paying a month ago I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2008, 02:40 PM
and that $3.999 station? Back up to $4.159 yesterday. Wonder why the drop/raise.

jamesbondo07
08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
and that $3.999 station? Back up to $4.159 yesterday. Wonder why the drop/raise.

Your state didn't have one of those tax holidays did it?

TeeEye7
08-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Your state didn't have one of those tax holidays did it?

Not likely. The Governator is too busy pitching our state employees out on the street and doing other cost-saving measures like cutting other's salaries to alleviate our state budget crisis.. :rolleyes:

Taxing us MORE will come next. :whip:

Conan's mighty tax-cutting sword has been retired for years.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Not likely. The Governator is too busy pitching our state employees out on the street and doing other cost-saving measures like cutting other's salaries to alleviate our state budget crisis.. :rolleyes:

Taxing us MORE will come next. :whip:

Conan's mighty tax-cutting sword has been retired for years.

I have a buddy who's get mad at you for saying that TI. He worships Arnold and thinks he's doing a wonderful job out there. Funny part to this story is, he doesn't even live out there.

TeeEye7
08-04-2008, 10:52 PM
I have a buddy who's get mad at you for saying that TI. He worships Arnold and thinks he's doing a wonderful job out there. Funny part to this story is, he doesn't even live out there.

If he worked at the DMV here, he'd change his mind! :yes:

Can you say, "How the heck can I look for a new job with $4.00 gas I can no longer afford for my car?"

JediTricks
08-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I notice that people from other states and countries always "hear" that Arnold is doing a good job, but that's all media hype because he's a sideshow attraction. The truth is, he's an ineffective governor, and the 1 thing that got the last guy booted out of office - his desire to raise car registration fees to offset budgetary losses that would have hit everything from vital road services to education - has gotten steadily worse and worse until we're in the crisis we're in now thanks entirely to Schwarzenegger's inability to manage or get anything done, but hey, at least we've saved a hundred bucks on registration fees for a few years. :rolleyes: It's not even a "Democrat or Republican" thing, Arnie's screwed over both parties - is there such thing as an equal-opportunity failure? :p

Anyway, gas prices seem to be rising again here in the Golden State.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Gas prices have stayed steady here at $3.78/Gal for the past 3 weeks.

As for my friend, he's a bit dissillusioned on things of that sort. He's an Arnold fan so he thinks that Arnolds the best thing for Cali. He thinks Bush has been great for the country as well, so that should tell you a bit about him.

El Chuxter
08-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Arnold is great for the state of Collyfornia, if you don't happen to be a state employee right now. :)

TeeEye7
08-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Arnold is great for the state of Collyfornia, if you don't happen to be a state employee right now. :)

.....and, stand by for the proposed sales tax increase for all! He's becoming even more popular with us!

UKWildcat
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Cheapest gas I have seen around here within the past few days has been $3.59 a gallon.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Arnold is great for the state of Collyfornia

I always thought it sounded like he was pronouncing it Kellyfornia.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Arnold is great for the state of Collyfornia, if you don't happen to be a state employee right now. :)My fear is we teachers (getting state paychecks, you know) will end up in the same minimum wage quagmire, too. :eek:

And, if you believe the history of the area being based on the Arabic word "caliph" (meaning king or ruler), then Ahnold's actually correct (about at least one thing).

El Chuxter
08-07-2008, 10:56 PM
As I understand it, the way the teacher payroll is divied up by district, and the strength of the teachers' unions, that's not especially likely.

At least I hope it's not, or we're in some pretty deep poodoo. Think the bank will take IOU's on a mortgage?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2008, 03:46 PM
As I understand it, the way the teacher payroll is divied up by district, and the strength of the teachers' unions, that's not especially likely.

At least I hope it's not, or we're in some pretty deep poodoo. Think the bank will take IOU's on a mortgage?Well, I think you're right about the divying up, but I still recall a past colleague who taught during the last big budget/recession time and she was given vouchers (promissary notes, I suppose) instead of checks for a couple months, which after a while, the banks wouldn't accept. That's my big fear. :nottryingtospreadanxiety:

I did hear that carded SW 12 backs are going for 1/2 month's mortgage, BTW. :lipsrsealed:

Tycho
08-09-2008, 01:40 AM
I wonder if gas theives stole some out of my tank this evening?

I think my fuel level gauge is broken though. It read empty before and I'd just filled up. But thinking I'd been stolen from, I went to the gas station the next morning and I couldn't fill up any more - my 20 gallon tank was nearly full.

JediTricks
08-10-2008, 09:28 PM
He says it "kully-fohwnya!" And he's just done great. :p

plasticfetish
08-10-2008, 10:16 PM
He says it "kully-fohwnya!" And he's just done great. :pDid a great job of convincing me to leave the state.

It's been really nice not having to see his big fat square head on the news every night.

JediTricks
08-10-2008, 11:35 PM
My answer is to not watch the news. ;)

UKWildcat
10-10-2008, 01:19 AM
I got gas today for $2.99/gal. First time I have seen gas that cheap (under $3) in what seems like forever, and this was at a BP/Amoco even. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
10-10-2008, 05:08 AM
I paid 3.09 the other day. Havent checked since.

Blue2th
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Gas is dropping here as well, though it's still above $3.
Wonder why?
Maybe no one to speculate on oil and gas because they are all trying to get their money out of the stock market?
Less demand because people don't have much money?

jamesbondo07
10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
The 2 main reasons for lower gas prices is that the expect demand to reduce drastically because of all the stock market issues. The other reason is the dollar has been gaining against foreign currency.....mainly the euro. So since oil is priced in dollars that also has caused it to go down. It's down to $2.95 here :thumbsup:

Old Fossil
10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
$2.99/gal. for regular here in southern MS.

cookiemonster
10-10-2008, 08:25 PM
We paid 2.94 here in Elizabeth City at the Super Walmart, the oil is coming down, I wonder what the exscuse for Hasbros figures still being 7.99 is this time.

JediTricks
10-13-2008, 03:55 AM
$3.33 is the lowest I've seen yet. Nice to see something going in the little guy's favor though.

Blue2th
10-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Gas finally went below $3 at a few stations here. Hurry we need a global crisis! Oh I forgot we have one that's making gas go down. :cross-eye

cookiemonster
10-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Well at the local Walmart its down to 2.74, we just filled up again Yesterday.

JediTricks
10-16-2008, 01:39 AM
$3.29 here is the lowest I've seen.

DarthNihilus
10-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Saw it for like around $3.40 premium in my area.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I saw $3.27 the other day, but that station was full of cars, so I went across the street for $.10 more per gallon.

I was shocked to read that oil was below $80 a barrel. How'd I miss that?

Blue2th
10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
I was shocked to read that oil was below $80 a barrel. How'd I miss that?

It was the great mass distraction called the Economy. Funny how it goes down when Wall Street is having a hard time, but when we are, we have to like it or lump it. :mad:

I filled up the truck with 2.82 a gallon mid grade yesterday. Regular was 2.71.

Kidhuman
10-16-2008, 08:07 PM
I got 2.89 the other day. I am loving it

plasticfetish
10-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Found $3.09 today. Nice tossing in $20, and getting better than half a tank. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
10-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Saw $2.69 today.

Ji'dai
10-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Cheapest I've seen was $2.58 when I was in Indianapolis Wednesday.

cookiemonster
10-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Cheapest I have seen lately is $2.65 in Elizabeth City.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-19-2008, 12:31 PM
I plan to get gas this week... probably at Costco, which hopefully will be less than what's around (because they don't display their prices on the street anymore, just at the pump or entrance to the store). I'm hoping for less than $3.20. :greedy:

Mad Slanted Powers
10-19-2008, 02:03 PM
ARCO is usually about the cheapest around here. That is where I always go. It was $3.299 on 10/6. I haven't seen what it has been since then but it is probably getting close to $3. I probably won't have to fill up for another couple weeks or so.

The least I've paid this year was $2.859 back in January, and the most was $4.439 in July, though that was at Shell. The most I've paid at ARCO was $4.259 in June.

Looking back historically, the lowest I have in my records is $0.899 in February 1999. The last time it was under $1.00 was February 2002 when I paid $0.939. The last time it was under $2.00 was February 2005 when I paid $1.919. Seems like there is often a dip in February, but not always.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-19-2008, 11:36 PM
ARCO is usually about the cheapest around here. That is where I always go.

Looking back historically, the lowest I have in my records is $0.899 in February 1999. The last time it was under $1.00 was February 2002 when I paid $0.939. The last time it was under $2.00 was February 2005 when I paid $1.919. Seems like there is often a dip in February, but not always.ARCO has higher prices for credit cards, and I seldom have $30 or so on me in cash.

I don't know where I put my old registry, or I could also quote directly, so I'll rely on my memory instead.

Lowest, IIRC was maybe $.89 somewhere in Texas (San Antonio?) in Mar./Apr. 1994. Highest would've been in the low $4.20s some time this year here. There was an under-$1 time within the last 10 years, but I forget that, too.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-20-2008, 12:21 AM
ARCO has higher prices for credit cards, and I seldom have $30 or so on me in cash.I used to be able to fill up my Honda with a $20 and get change back. Then it got to where I needed to put in $30 or two $20 bills. I refill only about once a month, so I can usually plan to have enough cash when I need to refill. I don't think the ARCO's I buy from even take credit cards. They do take ATM cards, but charge a fee for it. They have machines near the pumps where you can prepay without going inside, but sometimes they must be out of cash because it won't accept cash and I have to go to a different machine or go inside.

JediTricks
10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
$3.25 is the lowest around here so far, and surprisingly consistent from area to area which is worrisome, like collusion or something.

ARCO has higher prices for credit cards, and I seldom have $30 or so on me in cash.All the Arco stations here have the same price, but charge 45 cents to use cards regardless of how much you buy.

Ji'dai
10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
I remember 89 cent per gallon gas, but the irony of it was I couldn't afford it then either. I'd get like two or three dollars worth, and try to get my friends to pitch in a buck or two.

TeeEye7
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
$3.25 is the lowest around here so far, and surprisingly consistent from area to area which is worrisome, like collusion or something.

I paid a penny per gallon more than that today. It was nice "getting" over six gallons of fuel for my twenty bucks. :rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
10-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Hovering in the $2.60's here in NE Ohio.

cookiemonster
10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Local Walmart has it at $2.55 my wife filled the Vehicle up this morning.

Our car is thinking its bdays and christmas have all come at once, lol.

JediTricks
10-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Dang, I can't wait till gas drops below $3 here.

It was $3.23 here yesterday though.

Exhaust Port
10-21-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm surprised Ohio is doing so well with gasoline prices. Perhaps some folks want to swing the votes for next month? :)

According to this you need to live in Tornado Alley to really be doing well.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Jedi_Kal-El
10-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Just dropped to $2.79 here.

Old Fossil
10-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Look, up in the sky! It's a bird!...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
It's a plane!

No, it's just a guy who couldn't send me a figure after having my money for over five and a half months. Clear your PM box, JKE, so you can get my address again and send me my money (I got the figure from HasbroToyShop which, though unreliable, is nothing like this guy).

Jedi_Kal-El
10-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Check you messages kid. Sent you the figure along with a refund so shut up about it already.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-23-2008, 12:37 AM
First of all, do not tell me to shut up. I had every right to be mad and suspicious after five and a half months of not receiving the figure. I've seen this happen on the boards before; about five years ago, a new forumite showed up, took another member's money, and never shipped the items that were paid for, IIRC. Of course, I thought about this when you told me repeatedly that you'd sent the figure (or were planning to later that day), nothing came of it, and then you just up and vanished from the boards.

Due to your not posting at all after racking up hundreds of posts in an extremely short time and then leaving, it just did not look good from my view. (As I said, similar things happened long before you came here.) You also wouldn't respond to any of my PMs, so I had to take it to the main boards to get your attention. By the way, your mailbox is STILL full, so I haven't gotten any messages you've sent recently and you haven't gotten any that I've tried to send.

Anyway, I got the figure tonight, and I was surprised to see it but glad that you finally sent it. I do thank you for getting it to me. I also appreciate the refund, but I do not feel right keeping it, even with the delay, so I will send it back soon.

Anyway, I would like to put this behind us, but you might not be surprised to know that I won't be buying anything from you anymore. ;)

Jedi_Kal-El
10-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Don't worry about sending the money back dude. It's on me for taking so long. I don't have anything to sell anymore really so it's not a big deal. I had to sell off a big part of my collection to help pay some bills and stuff.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Okay, if you are absolutely sure . . .

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Let's get back to complaining about excessive petroleum costs... :pleased:

I saw an ARCO station here yesterday at $3.11 cash price.

Ando
10-23-2008, 06:20 PM
$2.79 at Jubitz Truck Stop here in Portland, OR.

It was $2.83 yesterday, $2.89 on Monday, and $2.99 all last week.

Old Fossil
10-23-2008, 07:27 PM
$2.49 here in Laurel, Mis'sippi.:pleased:

Exhaust Port
10-24-2008, 08:50 AM
$2.22 this morning in NE Ohio. Oh I dream a day when I see it below $2!!!!

Ando
10-24-2008, 09:51 AM
With oil at/around $70.00 a barrell and still coming down, it's just a matter of time before gas bottoms out.

Has anyone watched any old movies lately (20+ years or older) and seen a gas station in the background?

I saw Die Hard the other day when they showed Powell outside the Chevron looking up at Nakatomi, gas was around $0.73 a gallon or something.

Exhaust Port
10-24-2008, 12:28 PM
It's down to $63 now and some are saying it could go as low as $45.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2008/10/20/daily53.html

The article says gas would be in the $2 -$2.50 range but heck we're there now with oil at $63. I'm thinking we'll easily break $2 if oil goes to $45.

Ando
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't think it's crazy to think that we'll once again see sub $2 per gallon prices again.

When gas crossed the $4 barrier, a lot of people finally called their bluff and said to heck with it and stopped using as much gas. Here in Portland, lots of people started biking, taking MAX (lightrail), and public buses to get around.

pbarnard
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't think it's crazy to think that we'll once again see sub $2 per gallon prices again.

When gas crossed the $4 barrier, a lot of people finally called their bluff and said to heck with it and stopped using as much gas. Here in Portland, lots of people started biking, taking MAX (lightrail), and public buses to get around.

The problem is now we have to keep with what we've done once it approached $4. If not, we'll be back to that point and have made no real headway into going what's after the internal combustion engine. My wife and I basically only drive to get groceries and we did that once it went above $3.

Ando
10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
The problem is now we have to keep with what we've done once it approached $4...

I agree 100% and I almost included this point in my last post.

Snowtrooper
10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
I hope OPEC doesn't throw a monkey wrench into this trend. I've heard Chavez and Iran want to get other members to lower production in order to put more pressure on the US economy. $60 was supposed to be the point that they start cutting production.

pbarnard
10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I hope OPEC doesn't throw a monkey wrench into this trend. I've heard Chavez and Iran want to get other members to lower production in order to put more pressure on the US economy. $60 was supposed to be the point that they start cutting production.

They did anounce a production cut. I'm for the Thomas Friedman idea where US, India, China, Japan, Brazil, Canada, Western Europe basically come together to make the anti-gasoline and develop a fully functional alternative car with little to no emissions.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-24-2008, 08:12 PM
They should develop a that runs on methane. Develop a way to harness your own emissions, and you could save money by fueling it yourself. It would also be a boon to the bean industry. The Fart Car will revolutionize transportation.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-25-2008, 08:38 AM
They should develop a that runs on methane. Develop a way to harness your own emissions, and you could save money by fueling it yourself. It would also be a boon to the bean industry. The Fart Car will revolutionize transportation.And there could be international versions, to stimulate their economies:
Japan: The Toot-yota
Korea: The Sniff-ia
France: Le Fart
Germany: The VW Butt
Yugoslavia (yeah, it don't exist no more, so sue me :p ): The Beano
Saturn(GM): The P-U

Exhaust Port
10-25-2008, 08:48 PM
It dropped 10 cents in a day so now we have gas at $2.12 a gallon. Geez, we'll be well below $2 real soon at this rate. Bring it on!!

Mad Slanted Powers
10-25-2008, 09:40 PM
I met a friend to go on a run this morning. We ran past the ARCO and the sign said $2.599. I didn't notice what the sign said when we passed it going the other way, but when I went to get gas after the run, it was down to $2.519.

TeeEye7
10-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Finally paid less than $3.00 per gallon: $2.99 :rolleyes: while on the way to the grocery store. Broccoli was on the shopping list this trip, but not for $2.39/lb.! What's up with that!?

Mad Slanted Powers
10-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Finally paid less than $3.00 per gallon: $2.99 :rolleyes: while on the way to the grocery store. Broccoli was on the shopping list this trip, but not for $2.39/lb.! What's up with that!?I wait until Fred Meyer has it on sale for less than a dollar, same with the cauliflower. I got some last week for $0.98/lb that I still need to eat up.

Ando
10-27-2008, 10:13 AM
$2.699 per gallon yesterday.

I finally filled my Ranger for less than $40.00 for the first time in, well, I don't remember!

Exhaust Port
10-30-2008, 07:15 AM
We've broken the $2 mark!!! $1.989 per gallon at one gas station with the other local stations at $2.03 and $2.05. I think I'm going to use up the gas I have in gas cans for the lawn mower so I can fill them up with cheaper gas.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/gas-prices/87-int/ohio/streetsboro/index.html

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2008, 07:39 AM
On my way to pick up dinner yesterday, saw $2.91. Driving back home, the station closest to my house was $2.89. It's all so confusing... :crazed:

UKWildcat
10-30-2008, 02:01 PM
There are a few stations here that have gas for $2.19, but they are way on the other side of town. And neither are BP or Shell, which are the only two brands I will use. But I was able to fill up for $2.31 yesterday (Shell). Not too shabby. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
10-30-2008, 05:39 PM
I found $2.87 yesterday, but don't need to fill up right now. Thankfully, my mileage is returning to almost normal after the catalytic converter mess. Hopefully by the time I do hit the pumps in the next few days, it'll be lower than that, but these stores of sub-$2 gas are what I'm really looking forward to. :D

Tycho
10-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I wonder if the price of gas will go back up next Wednesday. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I wonder if the price of gas will go back up next Wednesday. :rolleyes:Shutup shutup shutup! No, no, NO! :rolleyes:

Same station I got gas at the yesterday is now $2.79 (down $.12?!? :confused: ). Wow. Saw an ARCO station at $2.71 (lowest I've noticed so far), and heard that Costco was down to $2.59.

Kidhuman
10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
I put 15 bucks in today and got more than 1/2 tank filled.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Today I walked past a gas station and the attendants were literally bathing in the stuff.

UKWildcat
10-31-2008, 12:49 AM
Today I walked past a gas station and the attendants were literally bathing in the stuff.

Please tell me they proceeded to smoke a marijuana cigarette and went up into flames! and that you videotaped it!!!

I drove past $2.16 (BP) while going to get some beer tonight. Dropped almost 20 cents in one day. I should have held off. :mad:

JediTricks
11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
$2.79 is the lowest I've seen so far.

Ando
11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
As long as the price of oil keeps tanking (pun intended), gas won't go back up. America finally called Big Oil's bluff and just stopped buying it altogether.

Gas boycotts in years past never worked because people who didn't buy gas on Tuesday still had to fill up on Wednesday. But NOW, people just aren't driving or driving as much.

I only used half a tank last week and didn't even drive my truck all day Saturday and only once last night to get gas. Which I paid 2.399 a gallon at Arco last night.

Tycho
11-06-2008, 05:31 AM
It's strange, but I can't remember when I last filled up. My gas is lasting all of the sudden - of course it's once the price got lowered.

Ando
11-06-2008, 10:46 AM
It's strange, but I can't remember when I last filled up. My gas is lasting all of the sudden - of course it's once the price got lowered.

Are you subconciously driving less or at least modifying your driving patterns so that your trips are more efficient?

Other than driving to and from work, I have only been sporadically going out on the weekends for toy hunting and when I do, it's usually just 1-2 places that are closely grouped together.

Slicker
11-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I am very proud to say that I have not bought a single gallon of gas anywhere in over a year and a half. Not like I have a choice though. :thumbsup:

Gas prices in Guam are still rather high. They were $3.89 out in town and $3.19 on base.

pbarnard
11-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Are you subconciously driving less or at least modifying your driving patterns so that your trips are more efficient?

Other than driving to and from work, I have only been sporadically going out on the weekends for toy hunting and when I do, it's usually just 1-2 places that are closely grouped together.

Good questiosn for everyone. Modifying driving habits here (like only driving 1-2 times a week). Grouping things, going the farthest first, than closing back in.

Until my knee got clipped and tore out everything in it again, I was biking to the local places or swinging by on a long bike ride to get a drink of water/use the bathroom. The walk to the toy aisle and out the store if nothing probably saved me from some leg cramps.

Even pre-injury was riding the bike to the grocery store if just getting bread or a head of lettuce.

Totally unrelated, but found this on the price of gasoline (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/05/explainer.pump.price/index.html).

jediguy
11-06-2008, 02:10 PM
the price of gas in central Iowa has dropped below $2

I even saw $1.82 somewhere in Des Moines

Blue2th
11-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Wow, you guys should be getting it cheaper than most with all the ethanol you grow. Some cities like mine have it added in the winter months to keep lingering emissions down.

I paid $2.55 the other day for premium. Thought I would give my motor a little treat that day.

Tycho
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=Ando;646846]

Kind of. First, I'm kind of sick. I'm on kidney dialysis (because my kidneys are failing) and because of that, I stay close to home and my bed fairly often. So I don't need to drive there. However, this might be the result of depression because of my condition. When BobaFrett came to visit me, I was up and going to SeaWorld all day for example, and when I'm happy, I seem to do just fine.

Now I do have to drive round-trips to and from dialysis, 3 days a week, plus there's doctor visits on some of the off-days as well. That has actually increased my driving since I started dialysis. Before, I had even less energy, so I was REALLY staying at home.

With dialysis, I started having to refill my tank (20 gallons, premium) maybe 3 times a month, up to 4 sometimes). Prior to that, I got by on 1 fill-up per month. But way before that, and before I had a debillitating brain aneurysm, I probably filled up maybe even 5 times in a month.

I also drove around a lot in search of Star Wars toys (or made "usual rounds" to 1 type of each chain store (Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us). I didn't want to waste my days driving around and "hunting" all day long. If I stuck to the same stores, I'd eventually be the first regular there to get the new stock when it finally came in.

Since there really has been NO (ZERO) Star Wars shopping going on this whole year (save for July 26 when I bought almost everything), I'm not dealing with that. (Also with my illness, if I can purchase stuff online, it's more convenient to just have it shipped to me).

Meanwhile, I try my best to combine trips when I make them:

bank, pet food store, pharmacy, and grocery store can all be found in the same shopping center - and there's a Starbucks and UPS store there, too. Kinko's / FedEx is right across the street.

Target, Panda Express, BestBuy, the Post Office, and my comic book store are all by each other, and SubWay is another dining option. If I'm feeling like a nicer dinner, some better sit-down restaurants are on the same route.

Anyway, I'll make one trip out with as many of these destinations visited as necessary, and then when I return home, I often have to get back into bed.

Since these are probably all less than 5 mile drives for me - A LOT LESS than 5 miles, my tank can last for a while. Dialysis might be a 15 mile drive (30 miles round trip), so with a 20 gallon tank and stretching the truth to say I get 15 miles to a gallon, 10 round trips to dialysis brings me to 3 tank refills a month. When it was up to $5 a gallon, that was $300 a month in gas. As I mentioned, I think I just am getting to the point of needing my first refill this month, so I'll have to see what the new gas budget will look like.

Having adapted and / or gotten accustomed to my new driving pattern - in part because of my illness - I think I will just save money and not revert to diriving more again. I am in California though, so I think I'll throw in maybe one more trip or two to the beach or the waterfront downtown, here or there if it's more affordable. But as I stated, I like being close to home and my bed.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2008, 07:16 PM
I noticed that Costco was $2.59 one day, went back two days later and it had dropped to $2.43 (I filled up... just 5-6 gals.). I have always tried to fit my errands in an orderly fashion, but I will admit I stay in more and go out less lately.

Kidhuman
11-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Finally below 2 dollars a gallon

JediTricks
11-08-2008, 03:21 PM
$2.59 last time I filled up. I don't get this, we have a bunch of major refineries here, transportation should be very cheap to get it to LA-area stations, yet we're the most expensive. I guess it's speculative, assuming that SoCalerinos will drive more. Stupid speculative markets.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-08-2008, 03:53 PM
$2.59 last time I filled up. I don't get this, we have a bunch of major refineries here, transportation should be very cheap to get it to LA-area stations, yet we're the most expensive. I guess it's speculative, assuming that SoCalerinos will drive more. Stupid speculative markets.
There has been a lot of wondering why gas was always so expensive here in Bellingham. There are refineries near here as well, yet we would have higher prices than much of the state.

The sign as Costco today said $2.11, and the ARCO I passed said $2.09.

Tycho
11-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I have to use premium and it was $2.93 tonight. Much better than it has been for a long time.

I filled up for just above $50. That's like half of what I paid when things were the worst the price hikes had previously made them this past year!

Ji'dai
11-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I filled up in central IL today for $1.95 a gallon. Gas is a few cents cheaper back home in IN though.

Kidhuman
11-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Saw 1.97 last night

JediTricks
11-10-2008, 07:01 PM
$2.47 now the lowest I've seen.

OC47150
11-10-2008, 08:18 PM
$1.89 in my area!!

Kidhuman
11-10-2008, 09:49 PM
1.94 in my area

TeeEye7
11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I filled up in central IL today for $1.95 a gallon. Gas is a few cents cheaper back home in IN though.

Saw 1.97 last night

$1.89 in my area!!

California sucks! :mad:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2008, 12:41 AM
I saw it for $2.05 this past weekend, and was pretty surprised, as I haven't been following this and don't see gas stations much anymore.

Ando
11-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Filled up at Arco last night for $2.199 a gallon.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2008, 12:30 PM
California sucks! :mad:$2.399 is the lowest I've seen lately, and only at Costco or cash prices at ARCO. :(

TeeEye7
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
It's just hard to take that I live in one of the highest oil producing areas of California and will still have to deal with higher prices in comparison to the rest of the nation! :mad:

Tycho
11-11-2008, 03:01 PM
That could be the result of California taxes. I'm not sure.

Here's how taxes might be used wisely:

- There's a certain amount the state's responsible for to pay out as MediCal and AFDC / Welfare, Workers' Comp, etc. Those get cost-of-living-adjustments, so the amounts increase.

PRO Having Them: there is mercy and people don't starve and live as scavengers in a modern, civilized society where we CAN provide even to the lazy or otherwise less-than-competant (for various better reasons than laziness)

CON Having Them: people take advantage and inflation erodes the money available to the state for other functions of the government, like road repair, and Highway Patrol

- So we have to have a tax increase, at least to cover COLAs.

A gas tax is recommended, so that people who are not driving, don't have to pay it. Then the tax collected is specified for road repair and highway patrol only. Now gas costs more in California than elsewhere. WHY? The increase has to reflect that California is paying for a larger population than anywhere else. A tax increase to reflect that is obvious.

- How to resolve it? When California cuts back its COLAs to its welfare, those needing public assistance will find that they get more aide from other states. Then they'll go there. If you're going to be on welfare, would you like $600 a month in California, or $900 a month in Idaho? (I pulled those figures out of my head, just to serve as an example - but the idea being that as resources become more scarce, cuts may have to be made).

- What about folks who can't afford to move to Idaho to live on welfare there? California might add one-time-only moving assistance to its payouts. It might be more cost-effective to get folks not contributing to the economy out of state and off the welfare rolls here in California.

- But finally, there is an environmental "carbon-print" tax on our gas, I'm sure. That's almost, but not quite fair. To be sure, people really can use public transportation and carpool, etc. Instead of making it easy for people to pollute...

But the real solution is to manufacture clean-emissions vehicles. Then there won't need to be high taxes at the pump.

Blue2th
11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
National turn your car off day. I have a lot of those for myself. :crazed: :tired:

2.13 is the lowest I saw it today.

I really love San Diego's transit system. Though traffic is still heavy, it seems to be easier to get around than LA.

I think they should put the Disney like monorail system, with a combination of magnetic trains powered by solar and wind power throughout the country. Especially California.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I think they should put the Disney like monorail system, with a combination of magnetic trains powered by solar and wind power throughout the country. Especially California.Seattle has had the monorail since 1962, but never expanded upon the short ride from Seattle Center to downtown. They keep trying to come up with a plan for light rail but it never works out. People vote it down or it ends up costing more than they said it was.

TeeEye7
11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
You've hit the nail on the head, JT. It's all the taxes on oil before and after it's pumped out of the ground. Only our lovely state hits its citizens so hard.

And as for your last statement: bring on the hydrogen! Sorry Dad (who worked for UNOCAL for 38 years)!

Jedi_Kal-El
11-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Tonite I saw most of my local stations had it for $1.98. First time I've seen it under $2 for a very long time in these parts.

JediTricks
11-12-2008, 04:04 AM
It's just hard to take that I live in one of the highest oil producing areas of California and will still have to deal with higher prices in comparison to the rest of the nation! :mad:I live in a county rife with gas refineries - they occasionally explode, and at night Wilmington looks like hell on earth from all the refinery stacks on fire, yet we still deal with those higher prices. Totally unfair! Beverly Hills gets massive tax cuts due to their active well (which they draw their city line exactly on the other side of, and cover the well in a fake building to hide), but despite significantly lower fuel transportation costs and oil producing wells in various parts of the city and county, we still pay through the nose.

That could be the result of California taxes. I'm not sure.California gas tax is 18 cents per gallon, lower than many states and WELL outside the ranges we're seeing here. From the prices posted in the last 10 posts or so that were all significantly lower than California prices, Oregon has a 24 cent tax (that increases 6 cents every 2 years since '03, yikes), Colorado is 22 cents, Virginia 17.5 cents, Indiana also 18 cents, Washington 23 cents. So your theory is out the window.

National turn your car off day. I have a lot of those for myself. :crazed: :tired:It was? I had no idea, but I didn't drive on Tuesday anyway. Oh crap, does that make me a hippie?!? :p

I really love San Diego's transit system. Though traffic is still heavy, it seems to be easier to get around than LA.Ugh, that system is convoluted as hell, especially per-zone and per-stop pricing. SD's traffic is lighter because there are 1/3rd as many people in the county as LA county.
:) :) :) -vs- :upset: :upset: :upset: :mad: :mad: :mad: :frus::frus::frus:

I think they should put the Disney like monorail system, with a combination of magnetic trains powered by solar and wind power throughout the country. Especially California.Yeah, that sounds totally affordable. ;) The people of California just turned down a proposition to build a grossly expensive high-speed rail from LA to San Fransisco... well, 1 area didn't vote to turn it down, guess which one. :greedy: (Hint: it rhymes with "Fran Sansisco".)

Ji'dai
11-12-2008, 05:30 AM
Filled up for $1.77 a gallon on the west side of Indianapolis yesterday evening. The cheapest I saw all day was $1.73.

UKWildcat
11-14-2008, 08:43 PM
I filled up tonight (@ BP) for $1.82/gallon. Unbelievable.