PDA

View Full Version : Why is the dianoga trash monster on the Death Star?

SithDroid
02-13-2002, 06:05 PM
I just thought of this question today. Why is it there? If it is, is it to eat some of the trash? And more importantly if not, then how did it get on the Death Star in the first place? And also are we ever going to get a new 3 3/4" figure of it?

Wolfwood319
02-13-2002, 06:34 PM
I've wondered that since when I first saw Star Wars. Then, after seeing them in action in SOTE for N64, I wonder how big that trash compactor was?

Beast
02-13-2002, 06:40 PM
The Empire probably uses them to eat and break down any organic matter that goes into the trash chutes. Similar to the way that maggots and worms break down garbage here on earth. Except on a much more efficant level. Assuming that the Empire contracts out their garbage removal from their bases, they would want to spend the least ammount of credits possible for any disposal contractors. Not to mention they probably dont wana deal with disposal contractors on a secret project space station. By first removing alot of the organic matter, and then crushing the non-organic matter as well as whats left they can get away with the garbage taking up less space as well as less mass. Making removal efficiant and cost effective.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Starfig873
02-13-2002, 09:01 PM
That's the way I've always heard it told.

Plus it truly might be a good "watchdog" for God knows what. Maybe as a little "bonus" for those that do wander down there.
Not very plausible, granted, no matter though. :p

Jargo
02-14-2002, 06:30 AM
it's more likely to have grown from spores or whatever transported to the death star by the transports that brought the materials to build the whole thing. If the empire is such a techno organisation I can't see them employing such a lo-tech organism for the rmoval of waste. most likely is that the thing grew from it's spore eating it's way around the waste as the death star was built and found a nice quiet corner to inhabit unnoticed where it grew to full size. More of a parasite than a welcome creature. The empire probably has the same problem with dianoga as it does with mynock.

gibbspaulus
02-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Maybe it was Tarkin's pet and when it got too big he flushed it down the toilet.

Maybe he throws rebellious princeses to it as snacks.

chewie
02-14-2002, 10:44 AM
An unwary cargo ship could have come a little too close to the death star carrying a dianoga aboard as part of a waste disposal system or stowed away. And when the empire tractored in/disposed of the vessel, the dianoga ended up in the trash.

JEDIpartner
02-14-2002, 11:54 AM
I kinda find that difficult to believe! No data entries on the natural habitat of this thingamajig? I thought the Kenner version of the creature was a little comical.

Jargo
02-14-2002, 01:13 PM
Dianogas are huge things, they grow to about a diameter of 20 meters. How could one of those have been in thetrash compactor if the floor was where Hans feet were huh? Anyway, this is a pic from the wildlife of star wars that I reckon would look great as a deluxe figure with a new sculpt of Luke in stormtrooper disguise.
The deluxe beast and figure assortment could really take off and this would be top of my wishlist right now after seeing how much better it looks than that lame piece of poo that passed for the vintage dianoga.

JEDIpartner
02-14-2002, 02:58 PM
That thing is AWESOME!!! I KNEW there had to be some EU reference to the bloody thing!!! He's pretty cool looking. Again... not quite sure how he'd fit into the trash compactor as you so nicely pointed out Jargo! I always envisioned him to be more of a mutant snake type creature. :eek:

Jargo
02-14-2002, 03:34 PM
okay, this is the other pics of the dianoga from the wildlife of star wars book by Teryl Whitlatch and Bob Carreau (sp?)

I liked this pic more but had to jig with the scanner to get it copied because the book is too big for an A4 scanner. Anyway, the lower pic answers perhaps the reason for the dianoga escaping detection as it appears to be octopus like and able to squeeze through tiny apertures. this would explain why it was able to squeeze under the junk in the trash compactor to grab Luke while appearing to be out of sight. It was probably trying to drag Luke through a hole about a foot in diameter that it could easily wigglr through from another chamber, perhaps a seperate trash compactor or another garbage chute.

interesting, no?

SithDroid
02-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Perhaps he was just a baby when he was on the death star, which is why he isn't quite 20 meters yet.

Starfig873
02-14-2002, 06:05 PM
It can probably even flatten itself fairly well too. Therefor it could stay below the water level fine.

Jargo
02-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Well if it's based on octupii then it's going to be pretty good at limbo dancing cuz those squishy things can bundle themselves into the smallest cavities like jello and then squidge through apertures like a couple of inches in diameter. Obviously not the giant octupii but the regular ones. Now scale that up and you have a pretty effective predator. Able to get through chinks in the floor plating and through almost any type of ducting. It could Clamber up from the sewers and get into the internal workings of a docked ship really easily. next thing you know one dianoga in space docked at ta construction site and bingo! death star dianoga. When the Death star was being constructed all the ducts would have been accessible and it just slithered around until it found a likely resting place with the most moisture. loads of nourishment for it with so many troopers dumping their waste on a daily basis so it grew quite large quite quickly. One has to assume that the death Star had been around a while before ANH doing field tests and the like. So if you said that the dianoga had been growing on the Death star for a number of weeks you'd have a fairly substantial beasty in the prime of youth. But it's definately not an Imperial method of waste disposal. chances are the Imperials don't even know it's there.

Interestingly, one of the early drafts of ANH had the dianoga as a huge beast that loomed above Han and Luke in a dark corridor that lead down to the waste tanks. It actually seemed like a better idea to me but it wouldn't have fitted the movie the way George filmed the whole story. If George had gone a bit more serious and 'Sci-Fi' with it then it might have worked. But instead we have our monocular octopii-like friend.

evenflow
02-16-2002, 12:28 PM
I don't know why they were there, but i would love to see Hasbro release a new version of it. It could make a really cool deluxe figure/playset. It could come with the trash and the compactor.

mabudonicus
02-16-2002, 01:23 PM
The Dianoga could be explained a couple of ways, as stated so far in this thread. The REAL question is- WHAT is all of that old junk doing in a just completed battle station? It looks like the imperials bought the death star off of some kind of slumlords, and that they had to do a lot of renovations and get rid of tons of old furniture before they could go on using it as they desired. Or maybe that's just me- if only Jargo were here, he'd have an answer.

chewie
02-16-2002, 09:29 PM
If space is an infinite or near infinite void, trash should be very easily dumped into the vastness of space and probably never seen again. Odd to have to store/compact it.

Pendo
02-17-2002, 12:03 PM
Forget about why it is there, and start asking why it hasn't been squashed yet! I know when the walls are closing in it hides somewhere, but where? And how does it know when he is about to be squashed?

PENDO!

JediTricks
02-18-2002, 07:21 AM
They probably have a lot of stuff to replace all the time as the station probably has a lot of little stuff that needs replacement or repair from constant maintenance and breakage. As not every job is done on the outer layer of the station, garbage would need to be compacted simply to pass it easily from the inner sections to the outer trash airlocks.

JEDIpartner
02-18-2002, 02:02 PM
The reason it hadn't been compacted is because it hadn't yet met its weight requirement. The presence of three humans and a Wookiee may have caused the sensor to register a minimum weight to start the compacting.

mabudonicus
02-18-2002, 02:42 PM
JT and JP- yeah, that compacting/weight limit makes sense- it never occurred to me-thanks! Still,though, a lot of the trash that was in there looked, well, too "trashy" to have come from the death stars construction, IMHO anyways.

JediTricks
02-19-2002, 12:33 AM
You kinda have to use your imagination, otherwise you might notice that chunks of metal are FLOATING! ;) Or maybe it's not metal, maybe it's just silvery styrofoam packing material from the new tractor beam they just received - you know how that packing stuff takes up so much room once you get it out of the box! :D

That weight sensor thing makes sense, it also could have been an intruder detector as this was a garbage chute from the prison level, or it could have been on a timer.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-19-2002, 06:05 PM
Or maybe - and shoot me for suggesting this - the troopers saw them jump into the garbage shoot and switched the darned thing on...... :rolleyes: :D

"oh-oh, rebels in the cellblock... NO! wait, they went down the garbage shoot. Tk768, flick the switch from sector 18 will ya. Let's squish them pesky rebel scum!"

It's sort of a good guy bad guy thing y'know. Those Imperials aren't exactly famous for being nice to people are they? I don't know, it just kinda makes sense to me. but what would I know being the pariah round here and all..... :evil:

JediTricks
02-20-2002, 01:13 AM
I suppose that could be it too, but if the Stormies saw them go down the chute and knew where they were going, I would think they'd have stormtroopers waiting at the masher's door when our heroes got out. Plus, I get the feeling that the bureaucracy on the Death Star doesn't give Stormies direct control over ANYTHING, they probably have to report to a sub-commander who reports to a district commander who then has to ok the move with a General or Admiral and then tell the garbage supervisor who then tells his lowly button pusher to turn on the mashers. ;)

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-20-2002, 08:40 AM
Why you wiseapple! Aha, maybe they do have an anal retentive chain of command but that's not funny is it JediTricks. WAAAAAY too serious a response. I like to think sometimes that Artoo accidentaly triggered it as he was browsing the mainframe of the Death Star. Threepio was bugging him so much he lost his concentration for a second and OOPS! there goes the trash compactors on all levels....... :D Hey, don't mind me - mad as a bag of frogs me. :crazed:

stillakid
02-20-2002, 10:23 AM
Jargo is most likely correct with the "spore" thing. The Empire wouldn't bother with such a low-tech method of waste disposal. That would be up Yoda's alley.

And I always thought it was painfully obvious that the Stormtroopers realized where our heroes went and flipped the switch. Solo says it himself: "Ya know, it's not going to take them long to figure out what happened to us" or something to that effect. Shortly thereafter, the walls start closing in.

If there is any real "story" question here, it would be: How did Chewbacca miraculously stay dry after falling through the chute and climbing up to the door? Clearly, from a "behind-the-scenes" point of view, they didn't want to have a wet hairy costume to deal with.

JEDIpartner
02-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Perhaps Wookiee fur is like duck feathers! It's got that oil on it that repels water... :confused:

AFLAC!!!!:D

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-20-2002, 12:26 PM
bless you.....

Yeah dead right Stillakid, I completely forgot about that Han line. Mmmmm, spot on.

chewie? Well in technical terms the costume was a few strands of yak hair tied onto a string vest sort of thing. If it got wet you'd have seen Peter Mayhew underneath. it was only the hair team that kept fluffing out the costume that stopped skin showing through. besides which, a wet Wookiee would look really sad and stupid. Could hardly be a warrior of the trees if he looked like a drowned rat could he? :stupid:

JediTricks
02-21-2002, 03:27 AM
I think I read somewhere that Mayhew claimed the costume DID get wet and it remained stanky ever since. I suppose the SW universe answer could be that Chewie aimed his landing for something off to the sides.

stillakid
02-21-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I think I read somewhere that Mayhew claimed the costume DID get wet and it remained stanky ever since. I suppose the SW universe answer could be that Chewie aimed his landing for something off to the sides.

...the way Greedo "aimed" his gun to hit 6 feet to the left of Solo's head? :D

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I suppose that could be it too, but if the Stormies saw them go down the chute and knew where they were going, I would think they'd have stormtroopers waiting at the masher's door when our heroes got out. ;) Um just realised what you said. Why would they send a squad of stormies to the door of the trash compactor if the rebels are um - 'compacted'? "Urr - that doesn't compute" No need to check on them if there's nothing left to check. just jettison the crushed remains and pretend nothing happened, log it in the databanks for daily occurances and security and forget about it, there's a danged planet to destroy and that Sith guy stalking around. The one with processed halitosis, breathing down everyone's necks. Why bother with a few crushed intruders? bigger fish to fry. The officers who order the trash compactor to be switched on don't know they got a trashcan shaped hacker onboard ready to switch everything off again. The officers would assume the compactor worked through it's wash cycle and finished the job thoroughly and effectively. Hmmm, and while we're asking trash compactor questions, How come ben doesn't have a scene where he senses them in peril and tries to help out with the force? Surely he could have done something to help them if he was all powewrful and such a big Jedihead. Guess he was too involved in turning off that really hard to switch off tractor beam eh? WOW tough assignment for a Jedi warrior :rolleyes:

stillakid
02-23-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by DARTH DUBIOUS
How come ben doesn't have a scene where he senses them in peril and tries to help out with the force? Surely he could have done something to help them if he was all powewrful and such a big Jedihead. Guess he was too involved in turning off that really hard to switch off tractor beam eh? WOW tough assignment for a Jedi warrior :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right. Luke's excessive gobs of Midichlorians would have been screaming out to any Jedi in the vicinity to help...or just maybe the Midi's didn't exist then and don't belong in the saga at all? Just a thought.:rolleyes:

jw_bryant
02-23-2002, 11:53 PM
go watch that scene again. there is a sound of a door/hatch closing before the compacting began. that thing is supposed to be there, to stop escapng people, and to eat organic garbage.
why'd the compacting begin? lets see.... luke, leia, han and chewie are involved in a gunfight, and they all jump into a garbage chute. if it had been some weight thing, then the crushing would begin immediatly, not a few minutes after they landed.
simply put: they jump into the chute. the troopers send out the monster to eat them. that doesnt work, so they put the animal back in its cage, and start to crush them. the delay is because of the chain of command that Jeditricks was talking about. :eek: wow, that was a simple explaination.
i dont understand why everyone has to analyze everything. take the easiest answer that makes sense. :rolleyes:

stillakid
02-24-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by jw_bryant
go watch that scene again. there is a sound of a door/hatch closing before the compacting began. that thing is supposed to be there, to stop escapng people, and to eat organic garbage.
why'd the compacting begin? lets see.... luke, leia, han and chewie are involved in a gunfight, and they all jump into a garbage chute. if it had been some weight thing, then the crushing would begin immediatly, not a few minutes after they landed.
simply put: they jump into the chute. the troopers send out the monster to eat them. that doesnt work, so they put the animal back in its cage, and start to crush them. the delay is because of the chain of command that Jeditricks was talking about. :eek: wow, that was a simple explaination.
i dont understand why everyone has to analyze everything. take the easiest answer that makes sense. :rolleyes:

I never thought of that sound as a door/hatch closing or opening. To me, it sounds more like heavy machinery "starting up." We hear it, then the walls start to move. Noise plus movement equals machinery. Not that your hypothesis isn't possible, but it isn't necessarily more correct than any of the others. It looks like we need to talk to the man (GL) about it for a final ruling.

Fixer
02-26-2002, 09:54 AM
Maybe the Dianoga was someone's pet on the station - y'know they're cute when they're little, but then they start to get big and nasty . I can see Tagge flushing it down the commode after a particularly unpleasant feeding incident. :eek:

Seriously though, it's been on the station a little while, judging from it's size. I like the 'stowaway' theory - it came in as a spore or egg or something in a shipment. It's learned by now that the *groan-squeal-thunk* means that the compactor is starting up, so it escapes down a hatch or something. Notice how it lets Luke go after the start-up sounds.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-26-2002, 04:45 PM
That 'thunk' is the brakes on those walls being released or the pneumatics firing up (you know what i mean I'm not a mechanical type, don't know the terms.) Right about that dianoga knowing what the thunk means. It scarpers back to it's hidey hole so it doesn't get mashed.

Or there's a bigger Dianoga in the next chamber calling the little one home for supper...... :eek: