PDA

View Full Version : so...is there a law requiring Leslie Nielson to appear in 75% of all spoof movies?

2-1B
03-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I just saw a preview for another movie I won't be seeing called Superhero Movie...and there he was, Leslie Nielson in a scene where he appears to be playing the Uncle Ben role from the first Spider-Man movie. :rolleyes:

The Naked Gun was great, and Repossessed was kinda cool, but enough with Leslie Nielson in these parodies already!!! :frus:

He needs to make more stuff like Creepshow. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
I think they're trying to put a known funny actor in the movies to make up for them sucking. He's almost overshadowed the glory days of Airplane! and the Naked Gun series.

Dracula: Dead and Loving It was an insult to both Nielson and Mel Brooks. Sadly, Nielson kept going, getting worse every time.

2-1B
03-10-2008, 10:58 PM
"Boy, you said it Chuxie. Where did they dig up that old fossil?"

UKWildcat
03-10-2008, 11:16 PM
He needs to make more stuff like Creepshow. :thumbsup:

I agree, but I wouldn't "hold my breath". ;)

JediTricks
03-11-2008, 01:48 AM
The problem is that unfunny directors who think they're funny use him in unfunny, over-the-top ways because they are trying to recapture his Airplane! and Police Squad work, but what made that stuff hit wasn't him being goofy, it was him playing it straight while the material made it funny. It's a big difference from unfunny material trying to be punched up with this.

Apparently, the only one of the old guys in Airplane! who totally "got it" was Robert Stack (who does some of his own stunts in the movie), the rest of that guard didn't really understand where the humor was and I think Leslie Nielsen's career is proof since he keeps taking these roles.

Don't get me wrongo though, Mr Nielsen has given us some of the funniest moments in cinema history when he's got the right team behind him.

bobafrett
03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I was sort of thinking the same thing when I saw the commercial for this. But I guess it's his bread and butter, though I think the bread has gone stale and a bit moldy.

General_Grievous
03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Dracula: Dead and Loving It was an insult to both Nielson and Mel Brooks. Sadly, Nielson kept going, getting worse every time.
While "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" is garbage compared to Mel Brooks' other work, it is still miles better than any other spoof movie that's come out since then, with the exceptions of "Scary Movie" 1 and 2 and "Not Another Teen Movie".

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-11-2008, 06:23 PM
While "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" is garbage compared to Mel Brooks' other work, it is still miles better than any other spoof movie that's come out since then, with the exceptions of "Scary Movie" 1 and 2 and "Not Another Teen Movie".
You dissin' on Dewey Cox, boy?!? :eek:

General_Grievous
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
You dissin' on Dewey Cox, boy?!? :eek:

You know I loved "Walk Hard", but I always seem to forget that it was a spoof. But it was more of a spoof of the music industry in general, so I don't really categorize it with stuff like "Scary Movie" or "Young Frankenstein". For the record, "Walk Hard" is funnier than most spoof movies out there. Too bad it flopped in theaters.

JimJamBonds
03-23-2008, 02:02 PM
So the 'missing' 0.25% is the first few Scary Movies he wasn't in I'm guessing?

2-1B
03-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I don't think they dug up his corpse until Scary Movie Three. :thumbsup:

:Teek-1B:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-14-2008, 11:56 AM
It's not a Zucker brothers movie unless Leslie Nielsen is cast. Although I do see your point, too many of these types of movies are coming out now, and the law of diminishing returns is starting to apply, I just can't knock Leslie Nielsen.

I'm very thankful that at his age he can still act and provide a few laughs while he is at it. Watching him express condolences to the gangsters who "died for their country," during a turf fight by ordering flowers "sent to their b*tches and hos" gave me quite a chuckle.

JediTricks
04-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Zuckers did Kentucky Fried Movie without him and it was brilliant.

El Chuxter
04-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I believe that they also did Top Secret!, correct? No Leslie there.

Nor do I believe he was in Rat Race, though that was less "slapstick" than their others.

sith_killer_99
04-14-2008, 10:14 PM
so...is there a law requiring Leslie Nielson to appear in 75% of all spoof movies?

Yes, passed in 1994, the "Nielson Amendment" received unanimous support in both houses and was signed into law by President William Jefferson Clinton on February 11th.

The law has never been challenged in a court of law, as most moviegoers don't seem to mind the law too much.

JediTricks
04-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I believe that they also did Top Secret!, correct? No Leslie there.True that.