PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Versions....?

Shatner's Basoon
03-11-2008, 08:52 AM
After reading JHIAXUS's Vader thread, which I found really interesting...I would be curious to know everyones opinion of the definitive figure version of all the main characters....I've been out of collecting circles for a while and would love to know everyone's take on what they think is the best version out there of each character......

JON9000
03-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Try this thread: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=37348

I'm afraid it didn't get a lot of interest, probably because, believe it or not, there are not a whole lot of figures that have multiple versions, and sadly, given the tendency of Hasbro to create new pack in accessories, the "ultimate" figure is usually made from several, i.e. VTSC Bespin Luke with SAGA 02 Bespin Luke accessories.

Blue2th
03-11-2008, 09:08 AM
I know the recent 2008 Tac wave one supposably has the best versions of:

Commander Gree (though some don't like the removable helmet)

Obi-Wan

Anakin-Vader

But ya never know, they might come out with variations of these, tweaking the paint jobs, but the added articulation, and joints have been improved over all the last examples.

Shatner's Basoon
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I love the body on the TAC farmboy luke (The one with the vaporator) In proprtion for once! and its great that these new ball jointed heads pop off so easily, because I hate the sculpt on this one.....Does anyone know of a better head to replace it...?

Jhiaxus
03-11-2008, 04:02 PM
After reading JHIAXUS's Vader thread, which I found really interesting...

Woo-hoo! He's a visionary!

DarkArtist
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
It's hard to say what the definitive version of any figure would be, do you count the amount of accessories or the articulation of the figure, the sculpt of the head ?

I guess if I were to vote I would choose the following:

Darth Vader Evolutions
Darth Maul Evolutions
Darth Sidious / Emperor Palpatine Evolutions
Princess Leia Endor -VOTC
Anakin Skywalker Evolutions
Luke Skywalker Bespin -VOTC but with Saga accessories

Battle Droid
03-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Battle Droid (Security and Boomer Damaged.)
Super Battle Droid (TAC version.)
Grievous (Upcoming CW figure until we get a new movie version.)

Rik Duel
03-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, I guess I'd define "definitive" like this: If they never did another version of the figure for the rest of my life, I'd be totally happy with it. So-
Han Solo-Vintage
Bespin gown Leia
Boba Fett vintage
Vader- evolutions
Chewie-Vintage
Anakin-evolutions
the newest Obi-Wan
3P0-Ewok throne
There's probably a more I'm forgetting. The three major Lukes still ain't there yet. Nor Bespin Han, Hoth Leia, Old Ben Kenobi, the Landos, or Qui-Gon. The comic pack R2-D2 would be great with the right colors.

Old Fossil
03-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Per Rik Duel's standard:

Luke X-Wing (VTSC)
AT-AT Driver (Saga)
C-3PO Ewok Throne (Saga)
Sandtrooper (Saga Legends)
Snowtrooper (VTAC)
Biker Scout (VTSC/Saga Legends)
Bossk (VTAC)
IG-88 (VTAC)
Chewbacca (VOTC)
General Veers (Saga)

Not sure about a definitive Vader... there's too many of them. I lean towards the VOTC version, though.

Devo
03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Definitive figures are rare to non-existant objectively speaking. However theres one that constantly springs to my mind as very close to definitive and thats the Count Dooku figure from the Revenge of the Sith line - not evolutions. Its articulation is highly effective and well hidden, the head sculpt is the best representation of christopher lee and the soft goods cape is probably the best looking and best hanging material ever used on a figure this size. Nothing has equalled it since. All the figure lacks is an unlit lightsaber hilt attachable to his belt.

I'd also mention VOTC chewbacca. Its an excellent figure in and of itself but you want all the headsculpt variations which are equally as good for what they are - the slicked back hair of Early bird, the Roar face sculpt of Episode V Tin collection or the upcoming wind-tussled hair of the ROTJ sandstorm scene figure.

The 08 Anakin and Obi-wan from ROTS look close to perfection only for the fact they didn't redo Anakin's arms for balljointed elbows.

Other excellent main character figures are kind of 'definitive for what they are' affairs - POTJ Bespin escape Leia, POTJ Bespin Lando, POTJ Death star escape Han Solo and 300th Boba Fett. They're preposed with only basic articulation but they look cool - I personally far prefer these versions of Lando and Boba fett to the VOTC figures despite the latters' better articulation.

Ewok throne C-3PO is an awesome figure sculptwise but its pristine paintjob is appropriate for only 2 scenes in the entire Original trilogy - none of them set on endor. Threepio needs this figure rereleased with less shine and more scuff marking and a tatooine version with restraining bolt and perhaps sculpted sand like the Flashback Photo figure.

I don't see us getting a definitive bespin Han - hasbro persists in basing every Han figure on the anorexic VOTC - which just won't do for me. I occupy a school of thought that Harrison ford is a physically larger man than Mark hamill and that his figures ought to be more than a little bulkier than princess Leia.