PDA

View Full Version : Michael Crawford's Medicom RAH Star Wars Darth Maul Review

Engineernerd
03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow. I'll just can't see popping down the money for this. But, the paint on this guy is amazing. I thought y'all might want to take a peek! The top picture is incredible.

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_031208a.htm

E-nerd

jedibear
03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah the paint job is sharp, but that outfit is awful...main tunic looks less-samurai influenced and more desperate housewife...and that robe! Yeeesh, all that's missing is the feather-boa collar.

The Habro one looks better than this for a quarter of the price...and I'm quite happy with the Sideshow version...

JediTricks
03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
FEEL THE HATE!!! :p

What really killed it was that neck, that looks just dreadful. I'm thrilled with the Sideshow one at over half the price.

plasticfetish
03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Does Crawford ever really give anything a bad review? I mean... 2 1/2 stars for that, and he was talking about how he almost gave it 3? Seriously, if the thing isn't exactly perfect for $150, then it's a flop.

I think the face sculpt is good, and the paint looks great, but the rest is marginal. That neck is a complete joke. I've actually never seen a Medicom figure that bad... and I've seen a lot of them.

The whole thing with Medicom figures vs. anyone else's figures, and value, is so totally lost on people. They had always been priced so high, because that's what Japanese collectors (with their big Japanese collector wallets) could afford to spend on a 12" figure. Medicom was doing these great, detailed, 1:6 scale figures of characters that weren't being made by anyone else years ago. (I remember seeing the Alien figure of theirs over a decade ago, and being a bit sad because I couldn't afford it.) People bought them because they were unique, and they were largely unknown outside of Japan.

Now we have Sideshow putting out pretty much the same quality figure, for a much lower price (and I've always assumed they probably use the same production resources anyway), so it seems idiotic to pay $150 for a Medicom figure.

Seeing Sideshow raise their prices... I almost wonder if they're thinking, "Well, if their paying $150 for a Medicom RAH, then maybe we should be asking more also."

(Stupid.)

JediTricks
03-13-2008, 12:47 AM
I've seen MWC be pretty brutal, usually it's well-deserved too. But he is a little generous with the C-level grades.