PDA

View Full Version : Disturbance at the Lars Homestead Scene Pack?

Battle Droid
03-12-2008, 12:14 AM
http://potf2.com/potj/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13092

jedibear
03-12-2008, 12:34 AM
your leg being is pulled...really hard.

Battle Droid
03-12-2008, 12:35 AM
I dunno, this could be where we're getting Cyborg Maul.

Slicker
03-12-2008, 02:02 AM
I bet this gets released on April 1st...

Jargo
03-12-2008, 07:21 AM
we already got either Beru or Lars as a skeleton with Amanamanamanaman. seeing as LFL used the same prop for both scenes. buy a second Amanamanamanaman and you have both. only without skulls. but theres a skull on the staff that you could cut off and use.

stillakid
03-12-2008, 08:02 AM
we already got either Beru or Lars as a skeleton with Amanamanamanaman. seeing as LFL used the same prop for both scenes. buy a second Amanamanamanaman and you have both. only without skulls. but theres a skull on the staff that you could cut off and use.

Like this! :love:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=264311&postcount=7

Droid
03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't think this set is coming, but if it is, it should be of Shmi getting captured. Have a repack of Shmi by a moisture vaporator, a few repacked Tuskens, and then you put Owen, Beru, and Cliegg (with detachable leg) on the other side of an all new Homestead dome.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-12-2008, 02:56 PM
i really don't see this happening...but i could see them doing a ANH scene with Beru, Owen, Luke, 3P0, R2, a few Jawas and maybe a droid or three from the purchase of the droids. Maybe even throw in a Mosture vap or so...

Jedi_Kal-El
03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I'll believe it if I ever see it. Not gonna really speculate on this one yet.

Jargo
03-12-2008, 03:56 PM
if it were a reality. and the scene in question was the deaths of Beru and Owen, it'd be a case of two skeletons, Luke and the speeder. damn they could even get away with just luke and the speeder with a printed backdrop showing the corpses smouldering away.

my bet is on someone jumping the gun seeing a couple of the april fools joke wave being announced as reality and a wishlist item once again becomes rumour listed.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-13-2008, 12:47 AM
if it were a reality. and the scene in question was the deaths of Beru and Owen, it'd be a case of two skeletons, Luke and the speeder. damn they could even get away with just luke and the speeder with a printed backdrop showing the corpses smouldering away.

my bet is on someone jumping the gun seeing a couple of the april fools joke wave being announced as reality and a wishlist item once again becomes rumour listed.

in agreeance, i think we'll never see the corpse figures from hasbro. They just would not make business sense, and personally i don't think we need them. I'd rather see a new OT or PT Owen and Beru before these...

General_Grievous
03-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm praying that it's from AOTC. If it turns out to be based on that stupid "Visionaries" story with Cyborg Maul, there's a chance I may pick it up if they include ROTS-style Owen and Beru.

Sinscia Fat'o
03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
i just don't see them using this as a way to bring out the Visionarie maul...it just wouldn't make sense for hasbro to use a battle pack to bring out a new maul, or even beru and owen for that matter...i really expect a ANH to be the focus on this one...but i've been wrong before, though i hope it's based on the AOTC.

Jargo
03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
IF it's true i would imagine it's ANH based, purely for the reason it's the anniversary year and people have moaned about the lack of OT stuff coming.

DarkArtist
03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I think that if Hasbro does this it will be the Visionaries comic and not from ANH, I mean while a bunch of us want the Crispy Owen and Beru I doubt it will ever see production.

JON9000
03-14-2008, 06:29 PM
I think it will be prequel based because of the two "disturbances" one was a slaughter (OT) and the other was bad news (PT) which sounds more like a "disturbance." So, I'd expect young Owen, Young Beru, Cliegg in chair, repacks of vaporator, swoop, Anakin, Padme, 3po. And maybe an above ground entrance to the compound.

I would rather have OT stuff as usual, but the PT one would be a hit.

Old Fossil
04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Apparently this is in the TRU computer now, so it's no joke.

I hope it's not from AOTC. That would mean the Cliegg figure would be based off the character before he was maimed, and I'd rather have him in his chair, like we saw in the film.

It could be from ANH, just before Owen and Beru were killed. They could have a new Owen sculpt, the POTF2 Beru, several Sandtroopers, and a Dewback, and a couple of moisture vaporators.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Apparently this is in the TRU computer now, so it's no joke.

I hope it's not from AOTC. That would mean the Cliegg figure would be based off the character before he was maimed, and I'd rather have him in his chair, like we saw in the film.

It could be from ANH, just before Owen and Beru were killed. They could have a new Owen sculpt, the POTF2 Beru, several Sandtroopers, and a Dewback, and a couple of moisture vaporators.

I'd like ANH version as well, and your idea for the figures sounds good. Sad thing is though they'll probably go with AOTC with Cliegg, Shmi, and a bunch of Sand People.

El Chuxter
04-20-2008, 03:53 PM
That would mean a Cliegg figure. I wouldn't be too hip on getting him in a Battlepack, but I'll take any Cliegg they'll give me.

See? I'm not so negative.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-20-2008, 04:13 PM
That would mean a Cliegg figure. I wouldn't be too hip on getting him in a Battlepack, but I'll take any Cliegg they'll give me.

See? I'm not so negative.

Well, when you figure that may be the only way we ever get a Cliegg figure, I guess it's ok.

What's so negative about that, Chux?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Rebelscum says the price on this will be $35. I wonder why? Just because it's exclusive, or will there be more than five figures in the set?

Jedi_Kal-El
04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Don't most TRU exculsives hold a price of $35 or more?

DarkArtist
04-20-2008, 04:27 PM
i can't see them doing on from AOTC since we really don't see the disturbance. so my guess is that it will be the death of Owen and Beru with repacks of the TAC Stormtrooper or VOTC Stormtrooper (2-3), couple of mositure vaporators from the TAC Luke Skywalker, repack of the of the Flashback Photo Beru and a repack of the POTF Owen, and maybe (and this is streching it a bit) a Lars homestead hut.

What I would like to see is:

Attack on the Lars Homestead: ANH - new sculpts of Beru and Owen Lars with SA sculpt, 3-4 TAC Stormtroopers, 2 moisture vaporators, Homestead hut, and 2 xtra crispy skeletons to make an alternate scene with Luke and Landspeeder.

or:

Arrival at the Lars Homestead: AOTC - SA Owen Lars & Beru Whitesun, Cliegg Lars in hoverchair, C-3PO (Ewok Diety sculpt with brown / copper parts), SA Anakin Skywalker, Owen's Speeder, Padme (second Lars Outfit - in the garage), Homestead Hut and 2 moisture vaporators and a treadwell droid.

of course Hasbro could always give us a spoof of the parady TROOPS, with a couple of Jawas, Owen, Beru and a few Stormies.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Well DA, we didn't see the "disturbance" in ANH either, so they could pretty much run however they want there I suppose.

Your second Idea while more feasible, just seems kinda boring to me.

Darth Cruel
04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Well DA, we didn't see the "disturbance" in ANH either, so they could pretty much run however they want there I suppose.

Your second Idea while more feasible, just seems kinda boring to me.

We do see the aftermath of the "disturbance", though. In my own little world this comes with 3 of the SA Sandtroopers we have been enjoying lately, the Lars house (at least a dome), a couple moiture vaporators and super-articulated charred relatives.

I would be stoked if they added in one of the Imperial Troop Transports from the 70's. They used it in the comic from the 70's in an issue called "The Jawa Express" where 2 of those transports that nobody seems to be able to figure out where they came from (me included) full of Stormtroopers were chasing Han, Luke and Chewy in a Sandcrawler. The thing that I remember most about that issue was a partial quote from Han. He called the troopers "Hot and cold running Stormtroopers - Hot to catch us and cold certain to do it..." (yes I know how "left field" that is, the idea is more for entertainment than anything).

dindae
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't see them going all repacks since this will obviously be targeted at collectors and they try to put something new in for the collector packs. At $34 I would hope to get something else of interest beside a Beru, Owen, and Clieg (I'm hoping for AOTC since at least we have versions of ANH substandard though they are). I can't see them doing crispy versions. Doesn't mean it won't happen I just would be surprised more so than if they included the Lars family speeder. I can't see not getting this set since there aren't any figures from the Lar's farm that don't need to be redone except Luke, 3PO, R2, and Troopers.

DarthQuack
04-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Any chance it being in between the size of an ultimate battle pack and a normal battle back?

mtriv73
04-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Any chance it being in between the size of an ultimate battle pack and a normal battle back?

Do you mean a penultimate battle pack?

Kidhuman
04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
If its TRU, it means I wont get it.

Jargo
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't believe there'll be anything new in it. batlepacks/multi-packs are as a rule comprised of the same old same old with possibly a paint deco change here and there. I'll be very surprised if there is something new in the set.

Phantom-like Menace
04-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Do you mean a penultimate battle pack?

Very nice.:thumbsup:

DarthQuack
05-08-2008, 03:26 AM
leaked pic....

http://www.potf2.com/potj/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13092&whichpage=3

I hope they include the domed part.....and hopefully it's real!

bobafrett
05-08-2008, 06:58 AM
leaked pic....

http://www.potf2.com/potj/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13092&whichpage=3

I hope they include the domed part.....and hopefully it's real!

Awww, No crispys.

mtriv73
05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
If they improve the paint on Owen over the 10 year old battlepack figure and include the dome then I'm in. Hopefully, Owen will be a new sculpt. I can't see them using the resources for a new Beru. She wasn't marvelous by today's standards, but I don't think we need her to be SA to serve blue milk.

I didn't see any vaporators in the mock-up unfotunately. Maybe they'll make the final cut.

Edit: Or maybe I'm blind. There's one in the back left corner.

jedi master sal
05-08-2008, 09:06 AM
While I don't need the same ol' Owen and Beru, if the set is no more than $25, I'll et it mostly for the building piece, vaporator and Sandtrooper.

Hasbro may not want to put out Playsets, but this is an alternative by putting out large pieces without having to call it a playset.

I'd hope for a new Owen and agree Beru doesn't really need to be redone. To Sandtroopers would be better and that's what is shown on the mock-up.

Now crispy Owen/Beru as hidden "accessories" would be AWESOME. A bit morbid yes.

mtriv73
05-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Now crispy Owen/Beru as hidden "accessories" would be AWESOME. A bit morbid yes.

I thought about that and completely agree, but I'm going to assume they're marketing this to kids and not just to collectors...so I can't see it happening. They've surprised us in the past though.

Blue2th
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't see anything new there except for the building itself. Looks like it takes up the whole package. Kinda torn whether or not to buy it just for that, but I would like to have it.

Old Fossil
05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Looks like the POTF2 Owen, which sucks. I'm going to be disappointed if they use that old mold again, instead of giving us a new Owen figure.

The rest of the set is OK.:)

bobafrett
05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
I thought about that and completely agree, but I'm going to assume they're marketing this to kids and not just to collectors...so I can't see it happening. They've surprised us in the past though.

Well they did have bloody stump Luke. I have two of those, one which I opened. Also Lava Crispy Vader, not exactly a kids play toy. The Tusken beheading, and Anakin with the arm from EP II, while not as gruesome, still not kids fare.

CaptainSolo1138
05-08-2008, 10:24 AM
wow awsum I need 154!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!1111111! I luv old peepl toyz!!

just kiding i haet them almost as much as horses i relly haet horses

Blue2th
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Don't forget Jango, he lost his head too. One of the figures from AOTC has a magnet right there to attach to his neck. What fun to play with!

bobafrett
05-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Don't forget Jango, he lost his head too. One of the figures from AOTC has a magnet right there to attach to his neck. What fun to play with!

Oh yes, I might have one opened, but since he is displayed up and out of the way of prying childrens hands, I believe I may have forgotten about that one.

Blue2th
05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Dang kids, quit playing with my toys! lol

I love all those AOTC figures with magnetic parts, and metal lightsaber hilts.
btw: everybody's always losing their heads in Star Wars, at least in AOTC (isn't there a similar ROTS Dooku figure also?)
There's alot of gruesomeness in Star Wars, luckily not alot of spurting blood, because of the cauterizing effects of lightsabers, and fire (lava, flamethrowers etc.)

JEDIpartner
05-08-2008, 01:29 PM
I was hoping these would be new sculpts but I'm all right with some repaintage... especially on old Owen. I'd love the house to be a nicely realised piece of vacuum-formed or injection-moulded plastic. It would be nice to have the house after all these years!

Jargo
05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
entrance dome. woo exciting! wondering why there's a sandcrawler moving towards them on the backing card. thinking: if they don't change the sculpt on Owen this is going to turn into a stinky shelfwarmer.

Blue2th
05-08-2008, 01:59 PM
If this pans out, maybe we'll get a Dagobah mud hut.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Too bad the figures suck, but the dome is pretty nice.

Snowtrooper
05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Would it have killed them to have made a new Owen for this pack? Its a missed opportunity for Hasbro. A new Owen and the dome would make this thing fly off the shelves. And then Hasbro could release it later on a single card and sell some more. Not very smart.

Banthaholic
05-09-2008, 12:11 AM
As this is just a Mock Up there might still be a new Owen in store.

I'd really like to see a Vintage Power Droid included as well.

I think this set is awesome. 31 years after the release of a movie and we Finally got the Lars Palace as a playset. Remarkable really. Even if it came with zero figures or all repacks I'm in.

El Chuxter
05-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Hate to be the voice of dissent here, but....

I hope there's not a new Owen. I really want a new Owen to replace the 1997 "Drunken Bill Murray in Owen Disguise," but there's no reason for me to buy this set otherwise. I don't build dioramas and displays anymore (and have no need for a dome or any other such accessories), my 1999 Aunt Beru is still a quite passable figure, and I couldn't care less about more Sandtroopers. The idea of a $35 set for just a new Owen isn't a bargain by any means.

Cliegg, on the other hand, I would totally drop thirty-five junior cheeseburgers for....

dindae
05-09-2008, 02:51 PM
the dome was all I need to buy this set. I will still hold out hope for a new Owen and Beru, but if not I'll still be happy to get the dome.

Jargo
05-09-2008, 05:18 PM
y'know it'd be a lot easier for anyone wanting the homestead entrance dome to make their own out of papier mache. bunch of old newspapers and a bit of cardboard and a pot of glue for a fraction of the cost.
on the one hand I think it's cool that hasbro are putting together sets we've been asking for since 1995, but on the other hand if this is what's going to be offered i think they'd be better just not bothering. remove the stormtrooper and shove in another vaporator and the glo-dome perimeter droid. Owen needs to be completely new and Beru needs a new right arm. The backdrop should have the landspeeder and distant vaporators not the sandcrawler. and they should change the package name from disturbance to mild incident. seeing as they aren't doing crispy fried owen and beru you can hardly call this set disturbance at all.

Sinscia Fat'o
05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
We've been asking for Hasbro do to this and they're doing it, yeah they should have ponied up last year with the bespin set and done this, but they didn't so at least they're doing something to test the waters with us just to see how far they should take this kind of product. Personally i'm stoked for this set as i already have Owen and Beru, but hopefully they'll improve Owen with new paint Apps at least, and a vaporator is a cool tie in, the only thing that's fine in this set and doesn't really need much work is Beru.

Tycho
05-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Hmmm. I kind of like the dome thing. It looks like it's a large piece of plastic in there like a large playset piece that would have footpegs for figures like that one British company's vintage style SW stand with the bar and cave combination (forgot the name for the moment).

I might have to get this set after all. It would be great if one trooper had a removeable helmet and looked like Kevin Rubio underneathe.

The scene would be completely EU. However, I think I might buy this even if the figures included were re-releases of the same 1997 Owen and 1999 Beru.

So you also get 1 or more Sandtrooper(s) and a Moisture Vaporator? The Treadwell droid? A Gonk Droid?

Is Hasbro testing the market to see if we'd pay $35 for a playset piece? If so, I'd recommend all should buy it as Jabba the Hutt's throne room with dias might be next up, as could be a fully realized Cantina bar, or real (not cardboard) Death Star Conference Table. The Trash Compactor could also be made this way, and other stuff, too.

The stairs in the entrace way to the dome are supposed to go DOWN not up though. Everything on Tatooine was usually built with most levels below ground to protect from the heat.

jedi master sal
05-13-2008, 11:09 AM
The stairs in the entrace way to the dome are supposed to go DOWN not up though. Everything on Tatooine was usually built with most levels below ground to protect from the heat.

What stairs are you looking at Tycho?? I don't even see stairs in the leaked pic.

obi-dad
05-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd hate to support mediocracy, but I would almost buy this even to give it away or throw it away (if it sucked) just to support Hasbro making pieces like this. I think the main reason playsets haven't sold well is that what Hasbro has made so far has sucked. Even going back to the POTF2 chasm swing, detention center, EP1 Naboo hanger... etc none have been close to screen accurate. Even the Cantina bar pieces sucked. I could rattle off 5+ problems with those, when it would have been easy to make such a small accessory good. No forethought/planning by Hasbro and they constantly substitute accuracy for poor kid "action features", which I could understand if the action features were done well. Anyway, with proper paint apps, this piece has promise. I hope it does have at least one all new figure to get completist who wouldn't normally buy this to buy it too. The insides of the Falcon look AWESOME! So, I'm hoping they are testing the waters with some quality pieces. I hate it when they point to examples of pieces of S**T to explain that when they try, it doesn't sell. If excuted well, it will sell.

Tycho
05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
What stairs are you looking at Tycho?? I don't even see stairs in the leaked pic.

Inside the dome, you see horizontal lines. The depth and shadowing I see suggest stairs. But I'm looking at the same picture everyone else is.

El Chuxter
05-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Supporting mediocrity from Hasbro in the hopes they will produce greatness later has a long history of backfiring. They just produce more and more mediocrity. :)

jedi master sal
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Inside the dome, you see horizontal lines. The depth and shadowing I see suggest stairs. But I'm looking at the same picture everyone else is.

Look again then Tycho. I think what you are really seeing is one of the side parts jutting out from the dome. Not stairs. At first when I looked at it (after reading your post) I thought I saw the same thing with stairs going up, then realized it was part of the building jutting out.

obi-dad
05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Supporting mediocrity from Hasbro in the hopes they will produce greatness later has a long history of backfiring. They just produce more and more mediocrity. :)

I totally agree and I'm actually being a hypocrite here. I've passed on so many playsets & figures over the years because they were not even close to movie acurate. Maybe Hasbro is wearing me down with their constant retort that playsets & diroama pieces aren't profittable. At least I will be able to point to the Falcon and say, when you produce something of quality, we will buy it. Of course, they will say it's because it is a vehicle.

Desfiy
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
To be honest I was really excited about this, even when I heard it could be retailing for 50.00 dollars (not 35.00 dollars as some of you seem to be thinking), then we get the real low down - We concentrated on the Igloo (how freaking lame is that, did they have problems concentrating on both the Playset Igloo and the Figures, sorry my bad I am speaking about Hasbro here).

What they should have done if my price point rumor is correct or even if the price you have is correct, is put new figures in there, it would have been an ideal time to give the collectors a new Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru in the right scale and with SA (Hell even the standard jointed would have done), Instead we get Camp Freddy (Owen) and Lame Beru (when are they going to stop with these POTF2 sculpts, they have already said no more we understand and are working on correcting the sculpts for better ones, and then turn round and say here you go, you asked for this, and low and behold its POTF2 figures again).

But the sad thing is people are all excited because there getting a Plastic Igloo (come on guys lets look at it realistically its plastic and its Igloo shaped wooooofreakinghooooo), they could have done so much better with this and for the price point, it really is a slap in the face to OT collectors when other fans of Star Wars are getting all the bells and whistles and the OT Fans have had Jack so far, compared to what has been shown and told about the other figures from Star Wars they are bringing out, now dont get me wrong I collect EU figures, and OT Figures, so I am more than happy EU Figures are being shown some love at last.

I am even thinking about getting the Clone Wars Wave (not the animated pap they said they were never going to do again).

Anycase in closing because I know I have gone on long enough, and for those that have stayed with me to the end of this I thank you, maybes before you purchase this thing you can look around at the other Star Wars figures there and really think about is this really worth it, and am I encouraging Hasbro just to re-use POTF2 scupts when we could have had better.

jedi master sal
05-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Desfiy (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/member.php?u=8969), for some of us it has nothing or very little to do with the figures. It really is about the homestead. For many of us, it's cheaper, quicker and easier to just by this than make one of our own.

Personally I would have made one eventually, but this will fill the void most certainly in the meantime.

Do I want new Owen and Beru figs, sure. Would I like them in this set, OF COURSE. But I can deal with it having older figures. There's plenty of kids out there who wouldn't mind taking the figures off your hands. That's what I'll be doing with those figs if they are old ones-I'll donate them.

I understand your frustration. I just don't agree with it.

-Sal

Beast
05-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Besides, the PotF2 Aunt Beru is still one of the best figure sculpts of that period.

One that still holds up pretty well. I do think they should kitbash Owen at least.

obi-dad
05-28-2008, 01:08 PM
But the sad thing is people are all excited because there getting a Plastic Igloo (come on guys lets look at it realistically its plastic and its Igloo shaped wooooofreakinghooooo), they could have done so much better with this and for the price point, it really is a slap in the face to OT collectors when other fans of Star Wars are getting all the bells and whistles and the OT Fans have had Jack so far, compared to what has been shown and told about the other figures from Star Wars they are bringing out, now dont get me wrong I collect EU figures, and OT Figures, so I am more than happy EU Figures are being shown some love at last.

I haven't read one comment on any board that anyone is excited about a "plastic igloo" for $50. Of course, I haven't read anywhere else that this is $50, other than this post.

The thing is, we know almost certainly that Owen & Beru will be updated. Hasbro has stated over and over that they have no plans to go in the playset/diorama direction due to what they consider the profitability of such sets. Speaking as only one of the excited fans, I am very excited that they decided to go in this direction. However, I am reserving judgement until I see the set. Hasbro did not confirm or deny the question the dome opens or not. But, one would have to be crazy to believe both that this set will retail for $50 and that it is nothing more than an igloo shell with potf2 figures.

Personally, I'm surprised that fans expected all new sculpts. When has Hasbro used the business model of creating all new figures for vehicles, battlepacks, ultimate battlepacks, etc? They have retooled and repainted, but these to figures need a complete rehaul and I personally wouldn't be happy with anything else than all new figures. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved a set with a cool diorama piece and all new figures, but then again, I'd love them to drop the price of figures to $3.99. But, I don't expect either of those to happen.

Blue2th
05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Yup, I would have a hard time shelling out $50 for this set, maybe even $35 for just an Igloo. For that price there would have to be at least one new or kit-bashed figure along with it. If they are re-painted exquisitely I might consider it, though the rumored $50 does seem a little steep.

Now if the Homestead had stairs and a room below, removable dome etc. then that changes everything for the better, new figures or not. Hopefully Hasbro knocks our socks off with this set.

Jargo
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
$35 dollars for the entrance dome? are you kidding me? you'd seriously pay that much just for the dome? you got more money than sense. an autistic legless aardvaark could make one for a couple of bucks from junk lying around.

mtriv73
05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
...an autistic legless aardvaark could make one for a couple of bucks from junk lying around.

Sounds like I need to get rid of my worthless cats and get myself an aardvark.

Droid
05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
I will pay $50 for the homestead dome. I think they will eventually make the new AOTC Owen and Beru and the ANH Owen and Beru on cards some day. I think this may be our only shot at the homestead dome.

Tycho
05-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I want to open bidding for the autistic, legless aardvaark with my initial offer of $15.

I expect it to be viable and capable of constructing the Lars Homestead Star Wars diorama for the action figures though.

This is a purchase of great value, Jargo!

Jargo
05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Aardvaarks are talented. Don't ask an Armadillo though. Or an Anteater.

pkalan70
05-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Wait, this is Hasbro remember?

The Owen will be the same sculpt, some paint variation.
The Beru will be the same sculpt, some paint variation.
maybe, maybe, a cloth robe
The stormtrooper (yes, only one) will be simply repackaged.
And the dome, not real, not plastic, merely a cardboard cutout.
Enjoy collectors, enjoy.

Cardboard table for bespin.
Cardboard table for conference room.
Cardboard dome for homestead.

Do we really expect any different??

jedi master sal
05-29-2008, 11:39 AM

YES!

Well I do at least.

Droid
05-29-2008, 11:42 AM

The Owen will be the same sculpt, some paint variation.
The Beru will be the same sculpt, some paint variation.
maybe, maybe, a cloth robe
The stormtrooper (yes, only one) will be simply repackaged.
And the dome, not real, not plastic, merely a cardboard cutout.
Enjoy collectors, enjoy.

Cardboard table for bespin.
Cardboard table for conference room.
Cardboard dome for homestead.

I'm pretty sure the dome will plastic. If it was cardboard I would totally pass on it.

Desfiy
05-29-2008, 12:02 PM
By the way I did state rumored 50.00 dollars - I have seen this mentioned on Rebelscum, I am hoping to be proved wrong on everything on this, and it is 35.00 dollars with new sculpts of Beru and Owen, and even maybes a 1 or 2 Sandtroopers (repacked new sculpts), and a Plastic Igloo, and even a couple of Vaparators.

However I aint holding out much hope on this as well.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-29-2008, 12:14 PM
By the way I did state rumored 50.00 dollars - I have seen this mentioned on Rebelscum, I am hoping to be proved wrong on everything on this, and it is 35.00 dollars with new sculpts of Beru and Owen, and even maybes a 1 or 2 Sandtroopers (repacked new sculpts), and a Plastic Igloo, and even a couple of Vaparators.

However I aint holding out much hope on this as well.
From the leaked image and what Hasbro has said, there is a new plastic dome and repacks of Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, a sandtrooper, and one moisture vaporator. At this point, the only thing we don't know is the price and if the figures will have new paint.

master J
05-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Hopefully, at the VERY least, Owen will have a new arm... instead of that goofy bent arm look! And a better paint job, my nephew can paint better than the potf 2 version and he is 2!

Tycho
05-29-2008, 02:09 PM
The moisture vaporator could also be useful besides the dome...

I never got a vaporator. I couldn't bring myself to purchase Phil Collins' figure that came with it.

mtriv73
05-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I want to open bidding for the autistic, legless aardvaark with my initial offer of $15.

I expect it to be viable and capable of constructing the Lars Homestead Star Wars diorama for the action figures though.

This is a purchase of great value, Jargo!

$20 for the aardvark. When does bidding close?

Tycho
05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Hmmm. Outbid. I'll have to think about this one.

Question for the seller: JARGO- is the autistic, legless aardvaark more advanced than our own JediMasterSal?

The latter could be handy for a wide variety of diorama construction purposes. And as far as I know, Sal comes with his own legs, too.

So how good is the autistic, legless aardvaark at handling clone troopers anyway?

Jargo
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
The Aardvaark is owned by a friend of a cousin of a colleague from way back who knows about animal prosthetic attachments who happens to work on the Sea princess with an engineer from Biloxi.

jedi master sal
05-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Hmmm. Outbid. I'll have to think about this one.

Question for the seller: JARGO- is the autistic, legless aardvaark more advanced than our own JediMasterSal?

The latter could be handy for a wide variety of diorama construction purposes. And as far as I know, Sal comes with his own legs, too.

So how good is the autistic, legless aardvaark at handling clone troopers anyway?

Ahem....what???

Tycho
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Hehe. I knew you'd find this. Hope you're laughing Sal.

You'll rest easier now that we've assured you that you're more appreciated than aardvaarks in some circles.

That's better than me. I'm not sure if everyone's agreed upon what "a Tycho" is good for around here ;)

obi-dad
05-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Tycho, I'm sure you're good for something... just not sure what right now. :D

But, back to the topic for this thread.... what are the operating cost associated with said aardvark? If I raise the bid to $25, does that include food, leg prosthetics, etc? I checked Purina's website and they do not sell Aardvark Chow... so what does he eat and what would the daily cost associated with food and care be? Maybe I should cut my losses and buy the $50 unpainted igloo that doesn't even resemble the Lars homestead. I heard not only is it coming with teh potf2 figures, but they aren't even Lars & Owen, but monkey face leia and potf luke, since the Lars & Owen molds were at another factory.

Jargo
05-30-2008, 09:26 AM
All I know is that the Aardvaark in question is good with his snout. excellent at macrame, macaroni pictures, flower pressing, papier mache, pottery and ice skating.

dindae
05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
If it has no legs can it really be called skating or is it merely being throw and sliding along the ice.

At $35 I expect we will just get the dome and repacks. At $50 I would expect some new sculpts. I look at the Ultimate battlepacks from Target. If they can offer the turret, AT-ST, and more fiugres for $60, then they should be able to give us new sculpts for $50. But at $35 I can see them cutting back. But like others have said the fact that they are so adamently against playsets I will pick up a dome while I can. Especially since I'm alergic to aardvark dander.

jedi master sal
05-30-2008, 12:00 PM
if It Has No Legs Can It Really Be Called Skating Or Is It Merely Being Throw And Sliding Along The Ice.

curling!!!

Blue2th
05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
All I know is that the Aardvaark in question is good with his snout. excellent at macrame, macaroni pictures, flower pressing, papier mache, pottery and ice skating.

He's good at trying to catch ants too.http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17463&d=1212167374

obi-dad
05-30-2008, 01:22 PM
found an updated picture... perhaps this is the one up for auction:

Jargo
06-01-2008, 01:43 PM
that ant is an amputee too. it has two legs missing.

Banthaholic
06-05-2008, 11:44 PM
that ant is an amputee too. it has two legs missing.
Would that make it an 'Antputee"

Blue2th
06-05-2008, 11:58 PM
The Aardvark fell through the instant hole too many times.
"I hate you instant hole"

Jargo
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I so wish those were real. the laugh you could have with one of those. I've always wanted one. same with real x-ray specs.

Blue2th
07-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I so wish those were real. the laugh you could have with one of those. I've always wanted one. same with real x-ray specs.

Yeah, that and the giant Submarine (which turned out to be just cardboard) onion gum, electric shock hand shaker, and all that cool stuff you could order from the back of the old comic books my brother had. I thought they were real. I especially wanted the X-ray specs, many uses for that.

jedi master sal
07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
...I especially wanted the X-ray specs, many uses for that.

But only one good one...

Tycho
07-25-2008, 04:10 AM
The playset and the moisture vaporator are really, really nice when you see it in person.

In spite of having the figures already, I'm strongly considering buying this set for the farm.

obi-dad
07-25-2008, 07:31 AM
The playset and the moisture vaporator are really, really nice when you see it in person.

In spite of having the figures already, I'm strongly considering buying this set for the farm.

I'm fairly certain I'll pick it up, unless the price is way too high. I almost rather it didn't come with figures, but I'm sure there are some people who need these figures.

DarkJedi5
07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Anyone know what that creature around the back is? It looks kinda like a Masiff or whatever it is that the Tusken Raiders had in AOTC.

obi-dad
07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Anyone know what that creature around the back is? It looks kinda like a Masiff or whatever it is that the Tusken Raiders had in AOTC.

I've read in multiple forums that the common guess is a womp rat.

Tycho
07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Yup:

Womprat
Vaporator
Beru
Owen
Sandtrooper
Playset

It's actually a good packaged product.

JEDIpartner
07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Is the dome just a hollow shell or does it have something in it?

Tycho
07-25-2008, 09:39 AM

The kitchen table is in there.

In reality, the dome is the entrance way into the whole homestead, where the Lars would greet their guests (or have 3PO do it) and then lead them downstairs into the underground compound where the garage, living quarters, kitchen, etc. is all located.

But Hasbro put the table up there because they didn't build the whole compound. Imagine that. You can use the table for the dinner scene, or pretend Luke works on Threepio up there, anything.

Remember, the playset works for AOTC / ROTS scenes as well - but the table specifically could be used with the younger Lars family, too.

JEDIpartner
07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
That rocks!!!!!

Even though this was actually just entrance, at least they kinda gave us a location where "something" actually happened. The dining room is fine enough. I guess it would've been too costly to make the garage with all the little gadgets and so forth. This suits me just fine.

obi-dad
07-25-2008, 10:06 AM

I know you aren't asking for a guess, but since the dome is removable, it HAS to have something under it.

[edit: got busy at work and never hit "Post" I see now there was already a definitive answer]

obi-dad
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Has the price been confirmed on this? People keep posting $60 (like last year's Target ultimate battle packs), but this really doesn't seem like it should be more than $30-$40. It comes with 2 POTF2 figures, whatever sandtrooper (which we've had so many lately and no one that wanted another should need one), a cool, but free accessory (the vaporator) that came with one of the crappiest Lukes in a long time, a womprat, though cool, I don't really care about. So the homestead is the only reason to buy it and it definitely doesn't seem like it should be anywhere near a $60 piece.

Droid
07-25-2008, 10:27 AM
The creature looks more like an oversized scurrier to me. Scurriers, I believe, are the rodent creatures shown "scurrying" around Mos Eisley in the Special Edition as the landspeeder flies into town.

mark2d2
07-25-2008, 12:26 PM
To me, this is one awesome little set. Very excited to see more images. Wish it was avail this week though. . . Would love to run out and buy it tonight.

obi-dad
07-25-2008, 01:14 PM
The kitchen table is in there. Remember, the playset works for AOTC / ROTS scenes as well - but the table specifically could be used with the younger Lars family, too.

Which is why this would have been the perfect time to issue the Lars clan from AOTC and then the set would have definitely been worth $60.

jedi master sal
07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Which is why this would have been the perfect time to issue the Lars clan from AOTC and then the set would have definitely been worth $60.

Exactly. Period, 'nuff said!

JEDIpartner
07-25-2008, 01:53 PM

I agree. :thumbsup:

sebillba
07-25-2008, 02:15 PM
As much as I like the igloo, I don't have enough space left to display it, so all I really want from this set is the womprat.

Jargo
07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
it's definitely a womp rat. based on Teryl Whitlatch's illustrations for the book the wildlife of star wars. it has a rat/wolvine head and a long rat like tail. four legs. it's all i want out of the set to be honest. damn hasbro.

obi-dad
07-25-2008, 06:50 PM
if I buy the set, I'd be willing to sell mine or trade it for the Biggs Imperial Pilot from the Evolutions set.

Jargo
07-26-2008, 02:06 PM
looking at the picture of the homestead entrance dome in the hasbro presentation slides and then looking at the one in the SDCC display it's like looking at two different products. what the f is up with the paint job on the SDCC version? what's all that brown paint up the sides? I hope they nix that for the final product. just makes it look so cheap. and how come no-one has got a decent shot of the only other new part of the set - the womprat? all the photos in close up are focusing on owen and beru which are exactly the same as they were in their original release. some folk have their priorities all screwed up i think.

obi-dad
07-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed in all the reporting from the various sites, that no one has called this an ultimate battle pack (like the sarlac pit one has been called)? I still have hopes that this can be reasonably priced. The homestead and the moisture vaporator are the only two things I want from this pack.

Banthaholic
07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm really psched for this one. A playset of a scene that hasn't been made for over 30 years. Might it be pricey, yes. But I've spent more on things I've ended up hating more in the past. And to get a new beast with a new playset is the kicker. Rock on!

Hopefullt a Beru/Owen release will be the start of a usual Hasbro trend. Make one character then flood the market with them. They did it with Biggs Tatooine, x-wing, tie pilot the past year. And have done it with other figures as well. Here's to hopeing for E2 and E3 versions of them.

Blue2th
07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
how come no-one has got a decent shot of the only other new part of the set - the womprat? all the photos in close up are focusing on owen and beru which are exactly the same as they were in their original release. some folk have their priorities all screwed up i think.

I was thinking the same thing!

Maybe they thought it was an aardvark or something.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Wish there were new figures with it, but I'll probably get it. I'll have to keep an eye on the TRU website to get it, because no more TRU around here.

Jargo
08-27-2008, 04:10 PM
The otheR Site has a boxed pic up and i gota say it's possibly one of the worst concieved packages i've ever seen. all the figures shoved in one corner and the paint job on the large white plastic dome is atrocious. they even managed to completely obscure the womprat behind the figures. it truly does look like a pice o'carp.

Snowtrooper
08-27-2008, 04:29 PM
By simply adding an all new Uncle Owen to this, they would've had a hit. At $50, its going to sit on the shelves. Probably end up passing on this if I can't get it on sale or clearance.

Blue2th
08-27-2008, 04:31 PM
The only thing in there I want besides the dome and we can't even see it because of Beru's fat legs is the womprat.

Jargo
08-27-2008, 04:36 PM
the other cockup is the title of the set 'Disturbance at Lars homestead.' when it really should have read Disturbance AT THE LARS' homestead. capitals for emphasis here only.

it's a great idea for a set but the execution is bad bad bad.

DarkJedi5
08-27-2008, 05:22 PM
it's a great idea for a set but the execution is bad bad bad.

What else is new? Hasbro is doing the same thing with the Sarlaac.

Snowtrooper
08-27-2008, 08:04 PM
At least with the Sarlacc set your getting the Sarlacc monster and a skiff + the repacks. A little better value for your $ than the Lars homestead.

cookiemonster
08-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Both of them are the best con Hasbro has pulled this year.lol

Tycho
08-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Well, according to the RS rumor list, Young Beru and Young Owen are due out next year.

Who thinks that Hasbro will repack the homestead with the Young Beru and Young Owen? Then they might add Cliegg as an exclusive piece. Hopefully they do not cut out the vaporator or desert scurrier in the process.

But OK: they will only produce a product if they make "x" amount of profit.

They might look at the profit as from THE ASSORTMENT if the Sarlaac ships in the same distribution.

Thus say the Sarlaac = "y" and the homestead = "Z", then they get their profit by Y+Z = X.

Now they arrive at "X" (a profit) only if their costs are LESS. So say the cost of the homestead is "a" and the cost of the sarlaac is "b." Then a+b < x.

Going into "a" is the cost of the playset piece, the scurrier, the 2007 vaporator, 1997 Owen, 1999 Beru, 2001 Sandtrooper. Presumably the individual costs of figures/pieces even as "young" as 2007 are paid for by their sales returns ALREADY, so once the Homestead DOME is paid for (and AOTC Beru and AOTC Owen - in 2009) they can re-issue the whole thing at lower cost and then - with the new figures, a+b < x.

I'm not sure who here doesn't understand this basic economics, but it has nothing to do with whether Brian and Darryl WANT to provide us with AOTC Owen and AOTC Beru. It's just what pencils out to give the shareholders "X."
Else, they wouldn't survive in business, let alone be around in 2010 or 2011 to re-issue this set with the AOTC figures.

I think that I myself may plan on waiting to buy the homestead until I can get with it the figures I want.

I was planning on buying 3 of each AOTC Lars figures, so I'll do that. I'd rather have an extra pair of the young Lars if I one day get them with this playset, than have extras of the ANH Beru and Owen sculpts (with Owen being less than ideal).

Blue2th
08-29-2008, 10:41 AM
That's what I was thinking. That they would release it in an ROTS theme. With Clegg, Padme in her AOTC blue dress, Anakin with maybe a Swoop bike.
Or they could do it with a young Owen and Beru, Obi-Wan on an Eopie with a baby Luke.

At least if the rumours are true, we'll get a young Owen and Beru, for an AOTC scene, maybe Hasbro will release more figures later to complete any scene we want for the Homestead.

I for one even though it has hardly anything new as far as figures, will probably buy this just for the hut and the womprat.

Already you can do a decent "Purchase of the Droids" scene with a Sandcrawler, a bunch of droids, maybe a landspeeder, another moisture evaporator, so I think this is too important to pass up, especially if it's a failure at retail we might not ever see it again, at least for a while.

obi-dad
08-29-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure who here doesn't understand this basic economics, but it has nothing to do with whether Brian and Darryl WANT to provide us with AOTC Owen and AOTC Beru. It's just what pencils out to give the shareholders "X."
Else, they wouldn't survive in business, let alone be around in 2010 or 2011 to re-issue this set with the AOTC figures.

Wow... I think most collectors (adults) understand Hasbro is running a business and needs to make a profit. But thanks for econ 101 [profit = revenue - costs]. What most collectors are scratching their heads about, myself included, is when they finally get around to doing something really cool, they blow it on the execution.

Considering the Falcon is so awesome, it almost seems to be done on purpose. If you look at the real playsets they've been putting out (Mustafar set????) and set pieces (I could give 5 things wrong with the Cantina bar sets, and these last 2 pieces), it looks like Hasbro purposelly puts out less than their best, to prove that playsets and environment pieces are not profitable for them. Check out what Diago-Bah did for this set (from RS) http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hasbroTDF&Number=3327201&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=3 You can't tell me Hasbro isn't capable of that level of detail. Both the paint apps and the accessories around the side of the homestead are far supperior. I'd love to see Hasbro put something out like that.

Now, with the POTF2 figures... I've read multiple places that Hasbro doesn't do all new figures in exclussives, which in general, I agree with. But, why is it a given that the piece had to come out now??? They could have easily either updated ANH Owen & Beru this year or next OR like is already rumored, come out with the AOTC Owen & Beru (but why not Cleig at the same time???) first. Then, at a later time put out this set with either set of figures. The igloo would have still been subpar, but the set as a whole would have been a better value. It definitely would be easier to swallow currently to just sell the set with no figures for less (who wants to buy POTF2 quality figs nowadays, unless you don't have them... but then again, why not just wait till Hasbro resculpts the figures), but the set itself would be a harder sell without figures (especially for kids). I for one, however, would have a lot easier time buying it for even $20-$30 with out the figures or even the womp-rat.

And the final point I've read over and over and totally agree with, both the Falcon and the homestead are all new sculpts released with previously released figures. Can anyone say that the homestead has 1/3 of the Falcon's value? Again, if Hasbro waited until they resculpted ANH Owen & Beru or waited until they released AOTC Owen & Beru and then released the homestead with the accuracy that Daigo-Bah's homestead has (and I'm NOT talking about the additional pieces like the garage, etc) then not only would collectors and kids think it was a better value, I'm sure we would all be EXCITED about it like most were for the Falcon & AT-TE!

bigbarada
08-29-2008, 12:33 PM
They're only charging $15 for this set right? Because even that is a stretch for this hunk of garbage.

cookiemonster
08-29-2008, 12:47 PM
BB - your being to generous, I wouldnt even give them 5.00 dollars for this set, hell Chap Mei (the toys you can get from Dollar Store) are better than this, and better value.

Ando
08-29-2008, 03:57 PM
It still looks a lot better than that pile of plastic that is the "Legends of the Saga" with repacked Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Luke, Vade, and TPM Obi Wan.

http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=92&pos=4 (http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=92&pos=4)

Tycho
08-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Dude! The REAL legends of the Saga are JarJarBinks, WA-7, Breah Organa, Jek Porkins, Lobot, and Kren Blista Vinee. Everyone knows that. Put these characters in a battle pack and man will it burn off the shelves.

Blue2th
08-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't know. Everybody is not liking this set for one reason or another. But watcha gonna do, not buy one?
Perhaps never get the opportunity to buy one at all if they sell out?

Pay enormous scalper prices that are higher than what you would pay at retail for just the pieces you want?

Hope it goes on sale like the Target Ultimate Battle-Packs?

Hope it gets re-released if it is was a dismal failure? (not likely)

Never get the opportunity to build your own ultimate Purchase of the Droids scene? :cry:

All of the above? :D

Lots of ifs.

Jargo
08-29-2008, 05:10 PM
make my own that's better and more accurate probably.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-29-2008, 07:38 PM
It still looks a lot better than that pile of plastic that is the "Legends of the Saga" with repacked Darth Maul, Boba Fett, Luke, Vade, and TPM Obi Wan.

http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=92&pos=4 (http://www.galactichunter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=92&pos=4)That doesn't look to be too bad of a set for what it is. This is the sort of thing that is targeted more to kids as a way for them to get several core characters in one shot. Of course, it would be better if they had a different Maul and Vader. Maul looks like the break apart one, and I don't like that Vader with the hard cape.

Blue2th
08-29-2008, 11:43 PM
So I was thinkin' that the Sandtrooper should have tanks on his back, with a flamethrower nozzle gun, because that's basically what happened to Owen and Beru after their encounter, thus they became crispy.

So I think that Hasbro should come up with a Flamethrower Sandtrooper. It would be a cool EU character based on Star Wars canon.

We can at least burn our Owen and Beru in a symbolic gesture of our displeasure and wants of better ones or crispy ones and play out the never before seen footage of their final moments with a can of lighter fluid. :twisted:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-30-2008, 12:08 AM
That doesn't look to be too bad of a set for what it is. This is the sort of thing that is targeted more to kids as a way for them to get several core characters in one shot. Of course, it would be better if they had a different Maul and Vader. Maul looks like the break apart one, and I don't like that Vader with the hard cape.
Maul is actually the Masters of the Dark Side one, which has already been re-released multiple times. Vader is the one from the Dagobah Battle Pack. Yet another reason to not have to go to Kmart . . .

jedibear
09-01-2008, 08:03 PM
First a question(and forgive me if it was answered earlier in the discussion)...is this another retailer (like target) exclusive? If so, oh well...if not, well...I'll check it out "in person" but the boxed shot doesn't look too promising.

That's the one thing I've noticed about all of the boxed sets or "battle packs" that have come out over the last year or so...they all have one thing in common...horrible, garish, badly done paint jobs.
That TRU arena set was a good idea, but the creatures all look awful. I was really looking forward to possibly picking up the current battle pack featuring Ki Adi and Cmdr Bacara...getting an SA Bacara to replace the original sounded like a good idea...until I saw the set and noted that all of the figures looked awful...Bacara worst of all.

Makes one wonder if the "B" team is doing the painting on these sets....and this forthcoming Homestead set looks to have the same thrown-together, sloppy look to it.

And that's too bad...this set, more than most would seem to have a larger collector appeal than one towards kids (who may or may not care about precise paint apps).

I was hoping to see variants of this set down the line, especially if Hasbro would step up and give this the "A" treatment. A prime example similar to the one Tycho brought up: Young Owen and Beru holding infant Luke as Obi-Wan stands off to the side near his Eopie mount. Just think...a chance to get that rare creature back out to collectors (it's even got a cameo in the new CW movie in front of Jabba's palace)...but I'd rather they let it go if the result would be as half-baked as this...

Maybe someone could craft a respectful question about this for the Hasbro Q&A and get their take on all of this...

Jargo
09-01-2008, 08:07 PM
if hasbro re-released amanaman on a single card you could get two and use the skeletons from them and cut the heads off amanamans staff and stick em back on the skeletons and minus a missing lower leg you'd have perfectly good movie accurate skeletons to char. as it's the same prop in both ANH and ROTJ.

Blue2th
09-01-2008, 11:59 PM
I was hoping to see variants of this set down the line, especially if Hasbro would step up and give this the "A" treatment. A prime example similar to the one Tycho brought up: Young Owen and Beru holding infant Luke as Obi-Wan stands off to the side near his Eopie mount. Just think...a chance to get that rare creature back out to collectors (it's even got a cameo in the new CW movie in front of Jabba's palace)...but I'd rather they let it go if the result would be as half-baked as this...

Maybe someone could craft a respectful question about this for the Hasbro Q&A and get their take on all of this...

I crafted an Eopie question back in the day (I think it was the only one I ever got in there :cross-eye)
Hasbro's answer I think was that they would have trouble trying to find a Battle-pack to put one in as that would be the only way they would offer it, or something to that effect.

FundingMyAddiction
09-02-2008, 12:15 AM
First a question(and forgive me if it was answered earlier in the discussion)...is this another retailer (like target) exclusive? If so, oh well...if not, well...I'll check it out "in person" but the boxed shot doesn't look too promising.

That's the one thing I've noticed about all of the boxed sets or "battle packs" that have come out over the last year or so...they all have one thing in common...horrible, garish, badly done paint jobs.
That TRU arena set was a good idea, but the creatures all look awful. I was really looking forward to possibly picking up the current battle pack featuring Ki Adi and Cmdr Bacara...getting an SA Bacara to replace the original sounded like a good idea...until I saw the set and noted that all of the figures looked awful...Bacara worst of all.

It's a Toys R Us exclusive. I picked one up the other day (though I'm not sure why.) As I originally posted (it got moved to the "finds" forum), the paint job, as you say, is atrocious. Of course the Beru and Owen figures are the old figures and haven't been updated at all. No articulation. Uncle Owen's face has ridiculous dark brown lines coming from the corners of his mouth and he has awkward gray/silver bags under his eyes.

I'm normally not one to even notice paint jobs (I liked both the Arena Battle and Battle on Mygeeto batte packs) but the actual figures in the Disturbance pack leave a lot to be desired. I just looked at the homestead itself and even it isn't done very well. I agree that it would make an interesting question to figure out what's going on with the pain application.

Veers
09-07-2008, 11:55 PM
I like this set but not crazy on the price. I will buy it later.

El Chuxter
09-07-2008, 11:59 PM
I saw this at TRU yesterday. It is crap. It's not even good enough to jokingly use the word "carp."

I showed it to Mrs Chux. She agreed it was crap. I told her how much it was. She said I was lying. I showed her the shelf tag. She said that was the most insane thing she'd ever seen. And she didn't even know the figures were all re-releases.

Had I bought that, I'd have one lousy redundant figure, one good redundant figure, one duplicate army builder, a horribly undersized hut, and a new small beast. I spent the same amount on the GIJoe army builder packs, got one redundant figure, four duplicate army builders, one officer repaint of said army builder, and four new army builders. Much better deal.

Tycho
09-08-2008, 02:28 AM
I'll be returning mine. But I just wanted to have it at home to study how I'd build the dome myself. I may go out and get the art supplies to do this, before I return the Hasbro set. I think I have 87 days left with my receipt.

That's plenty of time.

Meanwhile, the "hut" is not undersized. The Lars compound is built underground in that pit, as below surface level helps to keep it cooler and liveable in Tatooine's harsh desert.

The "hut" is only a foyer in which to have guests to the farm call on the family from. That is why it is not large at all. You "ring the doorbell" there, and then Owen opens the doors that lead you downstairs (or they have an elevator in there).

Vehicles park in that flat airlock that opens above the garage. I imagine it works like the portal that opens to admit Slave-One on Geonosis in AOTC. But that's where landspeeders and the T-16 come out of.

If you look at the Incredible Cross-Sections of Star Wars Locations book by DK Publishing, you'll see how it all works. There's even NO TABLE inside the dome. It's just a sheltered doorway with a buzzer and commline to Aunt Beru's kitchen.

Inside the compound (below the surface) you walk OUTDOORS from room to room - like the kitchen, dinning area, or Luke or Owen's bedrooms. It's not like you're going to get cold on Tatooine or something.

You can suspect that I think I know so much about it because I think I've been there.

You should have figured by now that I'm actually from another planet. :crazed:

Jargo
09-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I really want that womprat. couldn't care less about the dome or figures i just want the womprat. several of them in fact. a nest full.

cookiemonster
09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
One word sums this up, but I will be polite and use a different word but with the same meaning "Crap".

Ando
09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
My wife and I saw it on Friday night and even though it was neat to some something new, I had to pass. If they just sold the hut, the moisture vaporator, and the wamp rat for $20-$25, that would be an easy sell for me, but for $50.00 I just had to pass.

DarkJedi5
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
i haven't seen this set yet and a few weeks ago I was really excited, but now I feel like I'm gonna pass (at least, at full price). I agree with Ando, had it been just the new pieces and the vaporator at a reasonable price I think most of us would be getting it. I feel like this is similar to the TRU exclusive Delta 2 with hyperdrive ring. It was way too expensive for a ship I already had just to get the ring and the stand. Now that they are releasing a new Clone Wars Delta 2 it would be the perfect addition, that way I could get one with a new vehicle and yet, they aren't carrying the ring forward. It seems like they would rather release a new part with old parts at a high price instead of combining it with new parts that are coming down the road (like the rumored AOTC Owen and Beru).

jedi master sal
09-08-2008, 04:59 PM
My wife and I saw it on Friday night and even though it was neat to some something new, I had to pass. If they just sold the hut, the moisture vaporator, and the wamp rat for $20-$25, that would be an easy sell for me, but for $50.00 I just had to pass.

See, that's what I'm saying. While I already have 6 vaporators, I could deal with another one. The womp rat is a nice addition. The hut itself is the "glamor" piece. No figures and this set sells for $20-25 as Ando said.

However, in reality, this set SHOULD have included young Owen, young Beru and Cliegg Lars. THAT would have made this set FLY off the shelves. That's 3 figures at $8 a piece as the carded ones are now. A reused mold for the vaporator which at best is $3. The womp rat if non-articulated is another $2-3 at most. So that leave $20 for the hut and base. Easy enough with vacuum formed parts.

A set like that would have cost $50 AND had some REAL value to it.

Very much a missed opportunity there.

-Sal

Ando
09-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Or take out Beru, Owen, and the sandtrooper and give us a newer Luke and a sandspeeder and lower the price to $40.00.

mtriv73
09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
This set was on TRU.com yesterday (albeit listed as temporarily not available online) for $34.99. Today it's listed as $49.99 (and still not available.) For $35 I would have jumped on this, but for $50 I'm going to have to go with crowd consensus and pass.

jediguy
09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I found this set last week
using my TRU discount coupons, I paid only $21.19 after tax

I must admit that I am underwhelmed by it

I love the dome, like the vaporator, kinda like the womprat, don't like everything else
the base is very thin, even thinner than the plastic used for Owen's cape
the repainted figures are iffy at best
for example, the sandtrooper has plenty of weathering on his helmet, chest, arms and legs
but none at all on his boots
his boots look like he just bought them at Payless, meanwhile his armor looks like he has been playing in the sand all day
the womprat is not articulated at all, and the paint aps on him are not remarkable either

I got this set for the dome, and for the $20+ I paid for it, I am glad to have it
if I had bought this at full price, I would be more disappointed

jedi master sal
09-09-2008, 02:12 PM
jediguy, do you have any pictures you took of this craptacular set that you could post? That "might" sway us one way or another towards buying it.

Tycho
09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Sal, Rebelscum has some very detailed pics in their main page news right now. Should be easy enough to find.

I bought the set, but after looking at the RS pics (mine isn't opened), I am planning on returning it.

I think you'll agree. We can build the dome. We don't need this set for anything.

And hey: the base is too small. We might as well build the whole homestead while we're at it, anyway.

jediguy
09-09-2008, 10:58 PM
jediguy, do you have any pictures you took of this craptacular set that you could post? That "might" sway us one way or another towards buying it.

sorry everyone, I do not have a camera
:(
my diorama is in total chaos since the launch
once I get things in place, I will borrow a camera and post some pictures

Banthaholic
09-10-2008, 12:05 AM
I got this over the weekend, and I for one love it. One man's carp is anothers treasure. Hasbro please release more similar sets. I'll gladly pay the money to get new scene packs.

$50 is a lot, but if you would have started saving $1.50 a year back when you first saw the Lars homestead on the big screen you'd have over the amount you need 31 years later to finally buy the toy.

Tycho
09-10-2008, 02:56 AM
It's not that $50 is too much to spend on STAR WARS - I bought 7 Bane Malar figures which amounts to about as much (to put Malar in as scene filler in the background of many-a-diorama). It's that spending $50 on this set piece feels like a waste because I'm not getting $50 in value:

Figures are $7 each, I guess.

Sandtroopers - I have enough
Aunt Beru - I have 2 already. That's enough
Uncle Owen - I have 2 already. That's also enough. I'm not even down for a resculpt.
The wamp rat? I might want that if there were another way to get it.
The Moisture Vaporator? I don't have ANY - but I didn't even buy Phil Collins to get one.

So a non-poseable wamp rat and a vaporator I wouldn't even spend $7 to get last year, don't even equal $7 in value to me, let alone $35 or something.

Yeah, I might buy the dome for $25 - about what a model railroad set piece (a town building) might cost anyway. But the sand base is really small, surrounding it. It makes it that much harder to match the grounds to a larger homestead that you build around it, to be more authentic.

Maybe without the sand base, you could even sell the thing for $20 - like the old Endor Shield Bunker doorway "playset" that they sold in 1997 - and even that came with a tree stump and an Ewok "rock launcher."

So for $50 I feel like I'm getting ripped off - even if I find $50 lying on the ground tomorrow. The point is that I can get something more valuable for my money. I think I'm going to have to return this and build it myself when the time comes.

Sal, I'll hate to be saying this about Jabba's Sailbarge the great day that might one day come, but it better be to BMF standards or I won't bite on that one either - no matter how much I've whined about getting Hasbro to come out with it.

mabudonicus
09-10-2008, 10:47 AM
why not get a tray with sand in it and bury the sand base under a little bit of sand?? you could hide figure bases the same way- just a thought for display. I personally could build something WAY more impressive with flour and water and a few choice pieces of stuff, prolly cost about 5 bucks plus "labour"

:beard: Iso&Baws

I could too

Blue2th
09-10-2008, 12:18 PM
You could do that, I think it would look better. Heck just cardboard, spray glue and sand.

I was also thinking you could turn the base upside down and pour some kind of two-part plastic polymer that hardens, then you would have a solid piece.
Anyone with experience in this?

Bar?

Kidhuman
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
why not get a tray with sand in it and bury the sand base under a little bit of sand??

I could too

Because the cat poop would be hard to separate

DarkJedi5
09-12-2008, 12:22 PM
I was also thinking you could turn the base upside down and pour some kind of two-part plastic polymer that hardens, then you would have a solid piece.
Anyone with experience in this?

Bar?

I got mine yesterday and I am wondering the same thing. This set isn't great, and I was surprised with just how flimsy the base really is. Something to harden it up is really kind of necessary. A light weight but dense polymer would be ideal but maybe even plaster would work? Anybody else with any ideas? I wonder also if this is what the sarlac base will be like....

jedi master sal
09-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Well I saw this set tonight. I even picked it up, held it for awhile. Ask for certain what the price was. When I was told the $50 price, I immediately put it back. I was hoping for a price screw-up somewhere and to possible get this for $35 or less.

Ah well, guess I'll have to make this for myself afterall.

Tycho
09-13-2008, 04:17 AM
Uh yeah, Sal - but you WILL make it even better. Of that I have no doubt.

The whole thing needs to be large enough to put it together with the sandcrawler, Luke's speeder, perhaps the dewback and sandtrooper patrol...

Another SSGr I spoke with will be burrying the whole set in sand, to expland the base and accomplish just this. But $50 is a hefty price to pay for just that dome.

It's given me a moment's pause as to returning this though. I was going to take it back today, but now maybe I'll wait and stare at it some more this weekend. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2008, 11:19 PM
I got it today. Is it worth $50? No, not really. Am I glad I bought it? Yes, overall. It's a really nice-looking piece, even though it has some poor paint applications. The Owen and Beru figures are almost superfluous (though the paint is different - better in some places, worse in others), the wamp rat is pretty interesting, and it's always nice to have more moisture vaporators and sandtroopers. The base is indeed quite flimsy, but not as bad as I was fearing based on what was said here (I was originally expecting something more hard, like the bases from the old cinema scenes). The table is kind of useless as the characters can't sit at all (there are no seats anyway) and can't stand well on that part of the base either, but, whatever. I'm thinking it will look really nice next to the sandcrawler with the Jawas and droids set out in front of it. Also, the packaging was a wasted opportunity, since it depicts two sandcrawlers and two dewbacks, in some crazy scene that wasn't even close to what probably happened there.

Bosskman
10-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I through that terrible flimsy base out but the hut is cool. I hope the Sarlac's base isn't lke this....

Snowtrooper
10-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I picked this up over the weekend. I'll agree with everyone else, it isn't worth $50. The nearest TRU is in Lincoln, NE which is 170 miles from where I live, so I thought I'd better pick it up while I was in the area. I think the dome is great. Mine has a nice paint job, not like the horrid paint apps I've seen in other pictures. I like having another vaporator and another trooper is always welcome.

On the down side, the base looks flimsy as mentioned, the womp rat isn't that terribly impressive, and the POTF2 Owen figure is an outright insult. For figure pack ins they should've had 2 skeletal corpses & 3-4 sandtroopers.

Its definitely no newsflash to say that those of us who purchased this, did it to get that iconic dome.

plasticfetish
10-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Sooo... I got a good close look at this thing a few days ago (at last), and I'm almost stunned by how craptacular it's turned out. For $50, I'd expect a playset to have maybe a little more... errr... play value.

The figures have that unique bootleg quality that Hasbro seems to be going for so often these days (worthless.) The set itself is just stupid... I still can't believe that TRU has the balls to ask $50 for that thing. (Geoffrey the giraffe is probably turning over in his grave.)

~~~~~~~~~~

I tell you though, I had a thought while looking it over, and I started thinking how cool it would be if sets like this could be put out by a model company (ERTL/AMT) or something like that. Maybe a real detailed 3-3/4" scale thing, but we can put it together, paint it, and use it to display figures.

I'd honestly love that kind of variety when it came to this hobby. Imagine being able to do an Echo Base kit, or your own Dagobah scene. :Ponder:

Tycho
10-14-2008, 03:32 AM
I wanted that to happen PF. And I was excited (temporarily) by rumors that SideShow was considering doing that.

plasticfetish
10-14-2008, 03:49 AM
As much as I'd love to see what Sideshow can put out, I'm not sure if I'd be willing to skip a mortgage payment to buy one of their "dioramas."

It just seems to me that there has to be a better way to put something detailed, to scale, and fun out that doesn't cause instant buyers remorse.

Even a great snap-kit with decals would be better than this loser homestead. (On the plus side, I expect these to go on clearance.)

DarkArtist
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
still have yet to see one of these at retail. wondering if I ever will. after reading all the reviews not even sure i would want to drop the $50 bucks for a molded dome and Wamprat

Ando
10-14-2008, 02:24 PM
still have yet to see one of these at retail. wondering if I ever will...

You're not missing anything, although I will admit it's always fun to see something new on the shelves, this one is almost quite literally repacked garbage.

The only think of value would be the dome and it's not worth $50.00. Hopefully they'll smarten up and repack 3-4 domes together one day and make a playset or something.

cookiemonster
10-14-2008, 02:27 PM
I had the displeasure of seeing this piece of crap, last Friday when I was looking for Commander Cody at TRU, its even worse than I thought, the only thing that is Half Decent is the 10.00 dollar Rat Home (oh I mean the Lars Home).

Will not be picking this up, now aint that a surprise, However when I get my own room for my Star Wars collection, then I will create my Own.

AmanaMatt
10-15-2008, 10:34 AM
This is the most puzzling exclusive ever...you get old repacked figures with a $30 dollar playset that they are overcharging by $20.....this set deserves to fail...

cookiemonster
10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I think they had this in mind all along, I think they were hoping it would fail, means they didnt have to do any more non-playsets (oh and just for the dummies that are going to say but the Lars Homestead wasnt out in the 70's or the 80's I know this) that were playsets in 1977. If they had just released the Dome for 20.00 dollars with the womp rat, this would have been a success.

pbarnard
10-15-2008, 11:46 AM
I think they had this in mind all along, I think they were hoping it would fail, means they didnt have to do any more non-playsets (oh and just for the dummies that are going to say but the Lars Homestead wasnt out in the 70's or the 80's I know this) that were playsets in 1977. If they had just released the Dome for 20.00 dollars with the womp rat, this would have been a success.

Are you talking about Hasbro not wanting to do playsets or retailers? Retailers are the primary reason there are no playsets. They don't move off the shelves fast enough for their cost analysis that has somethign to do with square inch of shelving/$ earned/profitted. Hasbro is sort of indifferent. Would they make playsets? Sure, if retailers would sell them.

I have seen a few model builder sites and magazines and even a Star Wars magazine discuss how to build one's one homestead. I think I could go that route for about $30 and end up with a bigger house that is more in scale and have a little side project of the garage/courtyard pit as well if I wanted to go the full $50.

cookiemonster
10-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I am talking about Hasbro not wanting to do these, seeing they have said as much in the past, as for them not moving or the Retailers not wanting them, I dont know this may be partly true, however they do playsets for other toys and Retailers buy them and they move, so I am sceptical on the Retailer part.

mtriv73
10-15-2008, 11:52 AM
We're blaming Hasbro for the pricing when that is entirely up to toys r us. For all we know, Hasbro priced this out to them as an exclusive to retail in the $35 price range and TRU got greedy.

They're moving fairly steadily around here even at $50. I won't be getting one at all unless the price comes down to something I feel is more reasonable, but I'm not going to blame Hasbro in the mean time.

It's great that they made an effort to bring us something many of us have wanted for a long time. It may not be everything we want it to be, and they're certainly not giving them away, but if you don't like it the best thing to do is vote with your wallet.

cookiemonster
10-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I am sorry I hate that old adage "Vote with your Wallet", because it means we lose out either way - what Hasbro should have done is made sure it was priced low, or failing that make sure that the things you were getting are worth the price.

pbarnard
10-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I am talking about Hasbro not wanting to do these, seeing they have said as much in the past, as for them not moving or the Retailers not wanting them, I dont know this may be partly true, however they do playsets for other toys and Retailers buy them and they move, so I am sceptical on the Retailer part.

You'll need to go back and re-read the Q&As and other convention discussions for the following clause after Hasbro has said they don't want to do them because retailers don't want to sell them (and even vehicles in general). Hasbro, being the smart company, won't devote resources to things that have no chance seeing it to shelves.

Hasbro has no control what any store does after it gives its MSRP and sends it off to the various distribution centers. If the stores want to get greedy, it's on the store. Up to you to "vote with your wallet" after it is in the stores, because Hasbro has already been paid. I'm going to be interested in how the credit crunch/crisis will affect future exclusives the next 18 months as well as inventories of more basic figures. I'm willing to hypothesize that is one reason some places with slower turn over of product in general aren't seeing many new things in a lot of lines.

cookiemonster
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I am sorry to disagree, however if A Toy Company like Hasbro can dictate to stores when they can sell Toys, then they do have power over the Retailer - and when did this happen? Just before you ask this, it happened this July, when they where putting bans on Retailers for selling their product early, so this to me tells me Hasbro can govern the product, and also price to within a decent level - Walmart and TRU and Target are pretty close in pricing (yes Walmart is cheaper), and Hasbro does a Suggested Retail price, I know you have shares in Hasbro Pbarnard, however lets not pretend Hasbro isnt in this for the Money.

Tenric78
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I think they had this in mind all along, I think they were hoping it would fail, means they didnt have to do any more non-playsets

Ahh the old chestnut that is the crazy toy conspiracy. For the millionth time, corporations are in the business to make money, not to purposely lose money to prove a point.

There is never business decision that is motivated by, "Hot damn I hope this one bombs. It will prove them all wrong!" I can't ever imagine a boardroom meeting where something like that was brought up that didn't involve a firing.

pbarnard
10-16-2008, 12:45 PM
I am sorry to disagree, however if A Toy Company like Hasbro can dictate to stores when they can sell Toys, then they do have power over the Retailer - and when did this happen? Just before you ask this, it happened this July, when they where putting bans on Retailers for selling their product early, so this to me tells me Hasbro can govern the product, and also price to within a decent level - Walmart and TRU and Target are pretty close in pricing (yes Walmart is cheaper), and Hasbro does a Suggested Retail price, I know you have shares in Hasbro Pbarnard, however lets not pretend Hasbro isnt in this for the Money.

They are in it to make money, but after watching several documentaries about Wal-Mart, of which they Age of Wal-Mart by CNBC shows how products get onto their shelves. Wal-Mart dictates what they want to sell. Hasbro may make the product, but Wal-Mart will decide how much space it gets in the end if any. If they aren't given the space, there's no reason to make anything.

Those street bans are nothing new (happened at every movie). And it didn't come from Hasbro, it actually came from Lucas Licensing. Hasbro was enforcing their legally binding contract with Lucas. Lucas leaves it up to the indvidual licensees to enforce this, and those that don't either have it terminated for breach of contract or don't have it renewed.

mabudonicus
10-16-2008, 01:57 PM
careful, a few more fact-based posts like that and he'll start throwing his own poop at you, you were warned

Nothing else to add but that I could make a WICKED "Lars Homestead" for a few dollars :D

cookiemonster
10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Look Mab I have nothing against you I dont even know you, but was that really necessary, your trying to start trouble, just back off ok.

It wasnt even funny or called for.

I dont know why You and Slicker are attacking me, I dont even know you.

mabudonicus
10-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I think a 2-month-in newbie calling a broad swath of the forumites "dummies" (earlier post in this thread, do yer own research, I do) and getting snippy with friends of mine is more than enough to invite a little gentle ribbing- you don't DARE tell me what I should and should not do chief.
I don't have to know you to see that you are kind of a jerk and I thought the previous post was a nice way to point that out, but now you've gone and started telling ME what to do and that is a STUPID, STUUUPID mistake.

Tone it down, sparky, and why not listen to your own advice and back off before you start something you don't want :D

cookiemonster
10-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Why dont you calm it down, and back off, I know Paul from FFURG, and the dummies (It was a harmless) remark was because without thinking people may have thought well the Lars Homestead never came out in 1977, I never attacked you once, however you saw fit to have a go at me, if the people I was talking to had called me on it I would have explained I was trying to be funny, but at least I would know they got the point and I would have apologised.

And just because I have been here 2-Months means nothing, if I have done something so god damn awful why dont you Ban Me, go on Mab Ban Me.

Prove you have the power, if not shut up and stop attacking me, it has nothing to do with you, I am sure people can fight their own battles without you helping them.

I aint backing down from you, and if you want flame wars then so be it, however I would prefer to forget this all together and not have anything else to do with you, slicker or anyone else who claims to be part of your posse.

And more to the point if I mean nothing to any of you why get so riled in the first place, sparky.

P.S. - I never called anyone personally a Dummy, however Mab thought it referred to his friends, I am saying no more on the matter.

cookiemonster
10-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Ok guys I seem to owe people an apology, I am sorry if the people who got offended by the remark of dummy thought it was them, it wasnt, it was directed at the people who ask stupid questions or do stupid things.

But I am sure you know how it is someone will read what you have wrote, then will come along and say but they never produced a Lars Homestead in 1977, we all know they didnt but someone will come along and say that - the remark was directed at them.

El Chuxter
10-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Cain't we all just... git along?

I thought this was a thread about one of the biggest pices of carp Hasbro has ever issued. My mistake.

mabudonicus
10-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Keep an eye open just before halloween, they might break them out and clearance the "homesteads" as masks- hell, I'd go dressed as a pice of carp "homestead"

That sounds like a GREAT idea

Blue2th
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
There's a disturbance alright, but not at the Lar's Homestead. lol

cookiemonster
10-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Either way you slice it these Lars Homesteads, are more than likely going too go to clearance, but even then will they be worth picking up, I mean the dome you could get from any pet store (rat homes are exactly like these, and with the talent of the customisers here and else where I am sure people could build these for 10.00 dollars obviously using the Rat Home as a base), then all you would have to do is use foam board and create the surrounding pieces, as for the Womp Rat I think we are stuck with a Schleich Model (Its not bad, but could have been better).

And apparently they are releasing a New Beru and Owen sometime next year, well as far as rumors go, unfortunately its not going to be Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen figures I would like personally.

So all in all was it worth making this Lars Homestead, me personally I think they could have done a lot better and for a lot cheaper.

CaptainSolo1138
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
careful, a few more fact-based posts like that and he'll start throwing his own poop at you, you were warned

Tone it down, sparky

I'd go dressed as a pice of carp "homestead"
Man do I miss this place.:beard:

Heads up, Carl. I'll try and give you a call either tonight or tomorrow.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-16-2008, 07:24 PM
and with the talent of the customisers here and else where I am sure people could build these for 10.00 dollarsBut I ain't got no talent. And I ain't got no TRU near me either, otherwise I might have picked it up. I've been holding off on ordering it online.

Old Fossil
10-16-2008, 08:12 PM
But I ain't got no talent. And I ain't got no TRU near me either, otherwise I might have picked it up.

But you do have soul, apparently, and that is enough.:smoker:

Banthaholic
10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Either way you slice it these Lars Homesteads, are more than likely going too go to clearance
If it was a target exclusive yes, but TRU, I wouldn't count on it for a long while...

My local TRU has gotten these in at least three times and each time went through them by the time I got back for another TRU run (about every three days). I have one and I love it. Was it the best bargain, not really but I have an official playset first made after waiting 31 years.

The thing about it is, Hasbro isn't counting on the all of the forum collectors to make this a success. With the upcoming holiday season, these will sell in alot of markets. Parents don't know that Owen was released in 1997 and Beru in 1999. To them this set is 100% new, and it displays well enough in the box for mom to think little Jimmy might like it. I didn't think that the Walmart gunships would move at $50 a pop, but my walmart went through 15 of them in under a week.

DarkArtist
10-25-2008, 01:42 PM
finally saw one of these last night at the new TRU in East Brunswick. it's OK, the Sandtrooper is cool, wamprat looks neat as does the hut, and Beru is a straight repack as well as Owen hoever i do have to agree that Owen looks as if he swallowed a mouth full of mud soup and let it runs down the sides of his mouth. the figure is just plain horrible and for a $50 pricetag Hasbro could have given us some new sculpts of Owen and Beru as well as perhaps some new droids to boot.

obi-dad
11-19-2008, 01:41 PM
After all the complaining I've done about this set, I can't believe I picked it up this weekend. I printed the 15% off coupon I got in my email (and was later posted here and other sites) and bought it for $42.50. Still, a big waste of my money, but it was close enough to looking good, that I'm forcing myself to overlook the problems. I still wish Hasbro would have gone with the original paint job (or just a little lighter).

I don't agree about getting all new figures sculpts for the $50 price tag. I'd rather have got no figures and have all the money go into the sculpt, plastic, & paint apps. I'll probably put the womp rat up on ebay with Owen & Beru (as I have the former 2 already and have no use for a womp rat). Maybe I"ll be able to recoop some of my money that way.

So far, I've kept it in the box so I won't be as disappointed with the cheap plastic base. Other than the lack of paint aps on the building, it does look decent in the box.

mark2d2
11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
I still wish Hasbro would have gone with the original paint job (or just a little lighter).

Obi-dad! I am so glad you haven't opened it yet, because there are TWO versions of the deco. One that has too many dark splotches of mud... (This is the one I take it that you picked up.) And one that has a revised, cleaner deco much more similar to what was shown at comic con. Look into it. You will be much more pleased if you do a swap, it sounds like.

omnithx
11-19-2008, 04:25 PM
I held off on this for a long time. The sculpt I'm happy with, but the paint application is turd at best. I couldn't wait to check out the interior only to discover a single pale teal table and a crazy corrugated floor design that looks like it had some kind of nifty feature and then was deserted mid-production.
It has some appeal as a background piece. This set had so much potential... I feel let down as so many others have already said.

Moisture vaporator was a welcome bonus though.

DarkArtist
06-26-2009, 08:26 AM
I know this thread is old but I just wanted to let people know that TRU has dropped the price of the Lars set from $49.99 to $39.99. i picked one up last night and used a $20 giftcard so the set came out to $22.78 with tax. not a bad price overall.

pbarnard
06-26-2009, 03:22 PM
i picked one up last night and used a $20 giftcard so the set came out to $22.78 with tax. not a bad price overall.

Still not good though. 2 PotF2 figures, 1 so-so for the billionth rerelease,and a Womp Rat...still not worth 40.

Old Fossil
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
After waffling on this for over a year, I bought the last one that's been lingering at my local TRU for most of 2009. They no longer have shelf space for it, so just had it wedged between a BMF and a Turbo Tank, with a TRU shelf sticker stuck to the box.

So at $40, it IS mind-bogglingly underwhelming. However, the house looks great on a shelf with Banthas, Jawas, droids, dewbacks, and sandtroopers. I'll never admit that it's a $40 value, but my OT figures are thanking me for it. Really.lol

sebillba
08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
I saw this today at my local TRU, they still had quite a few left, now half price - 19.99. I only wanted the womp rat from this set, which I got a while ago, thanks to obi-dad.

morpheus282
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Just got back from TRU, they've got it clearanced down to $29.99. I still had to pass since I've got that Owen, Beru, trooper, and vaporator. $30 for the scenery and the womp rat is still a little high. I may eventually break down and go for it though.