PDA

View Full Version : Please take pity on a newbie......

Shatner's Basoon
03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I've been on these boards for a week or so now, and have been finding them all fascinating...but I'm totally lost wil all the acronyms flying around....can someone please humour me and give me a quick run down....knowing them will help me find the figures that I want...EG..stuff like VTAC and the like.....

General_Grievous
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I'd be glad to help.

Here's everything that needs to be known:

First off, for the movies,

TPM - The Phantom Menace
AOTC - Attack of the Clones
ROTS - Revenge of the Sith
ANH -A New Hope
ESB - The Empire Strikes Back
ROTJ - Return of the Jedi

Also these two are good to know:

CW - Clone Wars
EU - Expanded Universe

Regarding the toys...

POTF2 -The beginning of the modern line from 1995-2000
EP1 - The Episode I line
POTJ - The Power of the Jedi line
Saga - The Star Wars Saga line from 2002-2004
OTC - Original Trilogy Collection line from 2004
VOTC - The "Vintage Style" subline released in 2004
ROTS - The Episode III figure line
TSC - The Saga Collection line from 2006
VTSC - The "Vintage Style" subline released in 2006
TAC - 30th Anniversary Collection line from 2007-present
VTAC - The "Vintage Style" subline released in 2007
TFU - The Force Unleashed

Some other acronyms you may see around the boards are WM (short for Wal Mart) and TRU (short for Toys R Us)

Hope that helped. :)

Kidhuman
03-13-2008, 03:14 PM
You missed three others GG:

OT - Original Trilogy
PT - Prequel Trilogy
KH - Kidhuman

Shatner's Basoon
03-14-2008, 12:40 PM
many, many thanks to General Greivous for the info It'll be invaluable.

Tell me though..are the Vintage collections more expensive in the Colonies too?

Over here they cost three times as much, just for the addition of an extra plastic bubble over the whole card.
They cost us 14.99, thats near as Dammit 30 bucks at the moment. and thats at TRU not Scalper prices!

Dark Marble
03-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Here the vintage figures are more, basic figurs cost $6 to $7 while the vintage would run about $12 to $13 or more depending where you get them. Wow SB that is a lot of scratch for a vintage figure. :(

JON9000
03-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Hey, look, there is some mercy in this dojo.

sebillba
03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't think I ever saw VOTC in my TRU, but they had VTSC and VTAC for 9.99. And when I was there today, I saw they had figures from both the last two "vintage" lines down to 7.99 each. There was also an offer on the McQuarrie Luke figure - free if you spend over 25. Shame I paid 15 (+ shipping) for mine ages ago, when I thought he'd be an exclusive we'd never see over here.

2-1B
03-14-2008, 11:42 PM
n00b = newbie

pwn = own

21B = Two One Bee

Jargo
03-15-2008, 12:45 AM
i bought my latest aquisitions at woolworths on the Edgeware road in London at 4.99 apiece. I got the vintage figures i wanted loose on ebay for roughly 6.99. Although i'll admit i bought my 2 Tuskens from an American seller so with postage it probably cost full retail price. I don't bother with TRU ever. just not worth the journey. not for the inevitable disappointment of not finding anything remotely new or current. for a store named and famed for toys they seem to sell more video games and computers than anything else. unless you like Barbie.

LoLz = that's very funny you dweeb.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-15-2008, 03:59 AM
GG = Gentle Giant
MM = Master Replicas
SS = SideShow

What are the damned odds that three high end star wars merchandise makers have the same two initials?

R.I.P. MM :(

plasticfetish
03-15-2008, 04:50 AM
(Hey, Hot Lips... MM = Master Replicas?)

Slicker
03-15-2008, 05:00 AM
MM means Master Replicas?! Are you sure it's not MR?

Shatner's Basoon
03-15-2008, 05:56 AM
i bought my latest aquisitions at woolworths on the Edgeware road in London at 4.99 apiece. I got the vintage figures i wanted loose on ebay for roughly 6.99. Although i'll admit i bought my 2 Tuskens from an American seller so with postage it probably cost full retail price. I don't bother with TRU ever. just not worth the journey. not for the inevitable disappointment of not finding anything remotely new or current. for a store named and famed for toys they seem to sell more video games and computers than anything else. unless you like Barbie.

LoLz = that's very funny you dweeb.

Woolworths do seem to be getting a little better...but they dont re-stock very often...I'm sick of seeing CZ4 and McVader over and over again in my Local Branch! They seem to keep the dregs of a single wave on the shelves for about six moinths...then re stock, and if you're not there when they first go out, You're staring at the same peg-warmers for another six months..... I'm not a fan of mail-order companies like Forbidden Planet, because I like to hold about three or four figures in my hand at once and compare paint jobs.....

Blue2th
03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Tell me though..are the Vintage collections more expensive in the Colonies too?

I like the way you say "Colonies"
My dad was American (with a British last name), and me mum was Australian, and I was born on British owned soil, run by Americans.
I guess I'm a Colonial. :confused: But I want to come home now :sad:

Anyways, I've been here for a while at SSG, and I still haven't figured out all the abbreviations yet.

2-1B
03-15-2008, 10:43 AM
SSG = Some Sexy Guy

General_Grievous
03-15-2008, 10:49 AM
many, many thanks to General Greivous for the info It'll be invaluable.
Happy to be of service. :thumbsup:

MM means Master Replicas?! Are you sure it's not MR?
MM = Maker's Mark :yes:

Deoxyribonucleic
03-15-2008, 12:51 PM
(Hey, Hot Lips... MM = Master Replicas?)

lol lol lol Whoa, don't know what happened there :confused:

PF, you make me laugh :thumbsup:.

jjreason
03-15-2008, 01:29 PM
pwn = own

Really? I always thought this was pronounced "pooned". Shows what I know.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Really? I always thought this was pronounced "pooned". Shows what I know.

I thought it meant "pawn" so I'm with ya there JJ.

sebillba
03-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm still trying to work out what ISO & BAWS:beard: means?????

jjreason
03-15-2008, 04:46 PM
It's a combination of 2 old inside jokes between 2 members that has somehow caught on. I'll leave the rest up to them to explain.....

El Chuxter
03-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Isn't it three old inside jokes, if you count the :beard:?

Engineernerd
03-15-2008, 05:05 PM
You missed three others GG:

OT - Original Trilogy
PT - Prequel Trilogy
KH - Kidhuman

Ahhh. That's what KH means.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Awesome fro Chux! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
03-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Iso&Baws:beard: = the international motto of SirSteves! ;)

\m/

Kidhuman
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm still trying to work out what ISO & BAWS:beard: means?????

ISO & BAWS :beard: is actually 3 inside jokes. It was construed of 3 different phone calls between Mabs and myself. We cant get into the meanings here, but dont worry because its all good.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I've been wondering as well. I know one of you had an isobar avatar and perhaps it was in the sig line as well. Next thing I know there's this Iso & Baws stuff. Sounds like someone from the Bronx or something saying isobars.

bobafrett
03-16-2008, 05:08 PM
WM = Wal Mart or the store which frett works, just pray you never come into the store and ask him anything, because he'll rip your head off, which is why they have him work by himself in the back of the warehouse.

Kidhuman
03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I've been wondering as well. I know one of you had an isobar avatar and perhaps it was in the sig line as well. Next thing I know there's this Iso & Baws stuff. Sounds like someone from the Bronx or something saying isobars.

I had the avatar and I think Mabs did also. It came from us talking on the phone and my NYC accent said Isobars and thats how it sounded. I was also born in the Bronx, but never lived there.

Tycho
03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
What the heck are isobars and why were you talking about them?

I'm tired at the moment and that makes me Google-challenged.

Oh crap. Alright:

Isobars = A line drawn on a weather map connecting points of equal pressure is called an isobar. The isobars are generated from mean sea level pressure reports ...

So I take it Kidhuman and Mabs were spending big bucks making an international phone call to talk about the weather in accents that neither one of them could understand.

Now it all makes sense. Or does it?

Kidhuman
03-17-2008, 08:14 PM
We were discussing CARP weather we were both having 800 miles apart and it was exactly the same. rainy and cold. I said its the damn isobars causing the weather and hilarity ensued.

TeeEye7
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
What the heck are isobars and why were you talking about them?

Isobars? Isobars are an energy field created by all living things. They surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.

ISO&BAWS:beard:

\m/

Jedi_Kal-El
03-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Isobars? Isobars are an energy field created by all living things. They surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.

\m/

Ah, but you my friend, have the highest concentration of Isobars of anyone I've ever met.

El Chuxter
03-17-2008, 11:12 PM
"Do not underestimate the power of the ISO&BAWS:beard:."
"Spare us your meteorologist's ways! Your adherence to that ancient religion has yet to conjure up the stolen--urk!!"
"I find your lack of :beard: disturbing. O yes."

TeeEye7
03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Ah, but you my friend, have the highest concentration of Isobars of anyone I've ever met.

I think you need a blood sample from mabs and KH. Their readings are off the scale. More than 20,000. Even Master Yoda doesn't have an Isobar count that high.

My apologies to stillakid for quoting from the PT. Still friends?

sebillba
03-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Great! As a Brit, I can now say "isobars" in A NY accent! :beard:

mabudonicus
03-18-2008, 11:19 AM
so as to not get any further off topic, I explained this in General Discussion a while back but can't recall where, a quick search of that section should produce some kind of result (and bring up every one of my posts to boot :D)
:beard: Iso&Baws

Seeing as how I've explained it a few times and it's still a mystery, I'd say you shouldn't think too hard about it :)