PDA

View Full Version : '08 wave 1 Vader & Kenobi

jedibear
03-14-2008, 11:16 AM
These two are old news to most the folks around here, but...

I want to thank Hasbro for giving me the perfect desktop "poor man's" version of that Sideshow "Vs." dio...

Finally got to open these two...and I'm impressed! When Hasbro rocks, they rock hard! I think they are both great figures...at first glance, I thought "How many more times can they fill assortments with these versions of these guys?"...but a closer look reveals they have a lot to offer as figures as far as detailing, sculpt and articulation and for me, they are enough of an improvement to be well worth picking up.

Yeah, the head pops off Obi-Wan pretty easily and the skirt isn't quite as successful (from the back anyway) as Anakins, er, Vader's, but one can achieve some great poses with him and I'm lovin' the lava platform to display them on!

This Anakin, er, Vader figure is really good...the only other thing that would put it over the top are ball-jointed elbows (and a cloak)....but that doesn't stop this from being a great looking, extremely posable figure, It's really cool if Hasbro wants to keep the cases fresh with core characters if they are done up with improved versions like this.

Along with the Obi-Wan an combined with the panning droid set, you've got a perfect desktop diorama of that great duel...

Lazer Brain
03-14-2008, 11:39 AM
so are both these figures considered NEW sculpts?? they look the same on the card so i have yet to pick them up. but if they are New i will have to give them a try.
thanks...

figrin bran
03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah, the head pops off Obi-Wan pretty easily and the skirt isn't quite as successful (from the back anyway) as Anakins, er, Vader's, but one can achieve some great poses with him and I'm lovin' the lava platform to display them on!

For those that don't like the new head sculpt, the old one from the ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan fits perfectly on this figure's neck.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-14-2008, 12:00 PM
so are both these figures considered NEW sculpts?? they look the same on the card so i have yet to pick them up. but if they are New i will have to give them a try.
thanks...

They have added hip articulation for better poses. I have to say they look pretty sweet dueling on top of the Lava platform. As far as reduexs, I'd say these are probably the last two versions of ROTS Obi, and Ani, I'll most likely ever buy since they're the best.

Dark Marble
03-14-2008, 01:22 PM
I have picked up the figures and have been out beating the bushes for the panning droid. Basically the figures are nothing new, but there is something about getting these figures...they are iconic.

Lazer Brain
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
i will have to pick them up, are there any other figures in the new wave that 'LooK' like recards but... are actually 'New' scuplts? thanks for the info, and your phots rock! i have the older figs and the panning droid, but could not fit both of them on the single platform like you did, so i hope the extra articulation will help.
thanks
later

DarkArtist
03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I have to say that the only things that bug me about the Anakin and the panning droid are the lack of Sith Eyes on Anakin and the way to small platform that comes with the panning droid, would have liked to see a larger platform for more action with the figures and sith eyes for Annie

DarkJedi5
03-15-2008, 01:19 AM
i will have to pick them up, are there any other figures in the new wave that 'LooK' like recards but... are actually 'New' scuplts? thanks for the info, and your phots rock! i have the older figs and the panning droid, but could not fit both of them on the single platform like you did, so i hope the extra articulation will help.
thanks
later

Yeah there are two other "almost" repacks. Commander Gree is a figure that has also been done before but this one has a few new quirks including a new and more accurate paint scheme and extra articulation (including ball jointed wrists!). Also in this wave is the Kashyyyk trooper who was previously released but turned out to be a new deco for the VTSC scout trooper. In reality, it turns out, that there are a few small differences in armor and so we got a new more accurate figure.

Devo
03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Ball-jointed wrists on Gree?? :rolleyes: Now we're going to need every jedi figure rereleased with balljointed wrists. As threepio said 'here we go again'.....

Sinscia Fat'o
03-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I was going to pass on these myself but hasbro really improved everything that was wrong with those figures (other than the V cut articulation on anakin's elbows.) And after really looking at these figures i had to go ahead and get them...but i will never buy another Anakin or Obi Wan from ROTS again.

JediTricks
03-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Both Jedi are resculpts. Obi-Wan has an all-new head which I think looks terrific, and a newly designed lower body with cloth skirt and ball-hinged hips for incredible range of motion. Anakin only has the new hips and a different head deco (scar over eye, frosted hair). Obi-Wan really delivers well; Anakin still suffers plasticky sleeves, cut-joint elbows, and a headsculpt that isn't "there", but is still pretty good thanks to the new hips. I wasn't going to get these until I saw the poses in this:
http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/tac08/01/lf8.html
http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/tac08/02/lf11.html
That's some business you just can't do with previous figures, and I find it terribly dynamic and exciting, this is pretty much everything I've ever wanted these figures to be able to do.

timmae
03-18-2008, 11:25 PM
1 word after looking at pix is... WOW! i do not display much, but picked up the droid today and must say those poses are extremely impressive.:thumbsup:

Both Jedi are resculpts. Obi-Wan has an all-new head which I think looks terrific, and a newly designed lower body with cloth skirt and ball-hinged hips for incredible range of motion. Anakin only has the new hips and a different head deco (scar over eye, frosted hair). Obi-Wan really delivers well; Anakin still suffers plasticky sleeves, cut-joint elbows, and a headsculpt that isn't "there", but is still pretty good thanks to the new hips. I wasn't going to get these until I saw the poses in this:
http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/tac08/01/lf8.html
http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/tac08/02/lf11.html
That's some business you just can't do with previous figures, and I find it terribly dynamic and exciting, this is pretty much everything I've ever wanted these figures to be able to do.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-18-2008, 11:35 PM
I guess I'll add my two cents . . .

I got these figures right before the move, so they're still boxed away, but I find myself wanting to open the box and get them; they're pretty great. I don't like Obi-Wan's head when looking from the back or side, and they still need to change his bizarre left hand, but he's otherwise good. The Evolutions Anakin was one of my favorite figures, and the added hip and waist motion is awesome (the hips on mine work better than on Obi-Wan). For him, I still want ball-joint elbows and then I think he'd be perfect. If they were to do the Sith eyes as a variant on this guy I think I'd get him.

JediTricks
03-19-2008, 06:48 PM
1 word after looking at pix is... WOW! i do not display much, but picked up the droid today and must say those poses are extremely impressive.:thumbsup:
Yeah, that's pretty much how it was for me as well. :D

The lava droid set, while very nifty, doesn't allow for as much posing as that because the bases aren't that big, you can get some good ones in but nothing as dynamic as standing on a bigger surface.

majikmonkee
03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
What bugs me is that I spent $20 on the Evolutions set when it came out for the very nearly identical ROTS Anakin. And now there's a version who can do the splits as well? Oh, man! I knew it was only a matter of time though when they started selling the Evolutions clone troopers as individual figures.

I can't take any more sculpts of Obi-Wan or Anakin from any of the prequel films. Sure, I bought a thousand different versions of Luke and Han from the OT, but at least they wore lots of different outfits. Besides wearing jedi robes or the choice between being "battle worn" or "clean", there wasn't much variation in costume from film to film for the jedi characters, and I already have way more than I want of both of them...

JediTricks
03-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Evo has more accessories and the only halfway-decent Ep 2 Anakin though. But yeah, the VOTC and Evo lines haven't paid off great for collectors who don't want everything in the set - this is why I'm passing on the Jedi Evo set, I want that Qui-Gon enough to pay carded price, but the others are totally lame.

I can always go for new superior versions of main character figures that need it, Ep 1 and Ep 2 Obi-Wan are prime candidates, as is Ep 4 - thankfully, Hasbro's doing them.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-29-2008, 01:58 AM
I can always go for new superior versions of main character figures that need it, Ep 1 and Ep 2 Obi-Wan are prime candidates, as is Ep 4 - thankfully, Hasbro's doing them.

You mean you didn't like the superior lameness that was the VOTC Obi-Wan, JT? Don't worry neither did anyone else. It will be nice to finally get all of those in SA form. I just hope they're done right so they don't have to be revisited again in the future.

JediTricks
03-29-2008, 02:48 AM
I actually think VOTC Obi-Wan is the "best" version we've got so far, but it does suck mightily.

majikmonkee
03-29-2008, 08:05 AM
I actually think VOTC Obi-Wan is the "best" version we've got so far, but it does suck mightily.

Those VOTC figs were insanely overpriced out here...I didn't give them a second glance. After viewing some pics of them at various places on the web, I see there were some very good sculpts among them, but as is the case with so many other figures of the sort, I just know they'll show up again repackaged in some other form a little ways down the road.

The Jedi Legacy Evo set was really weird...not at all what I'd hoped for if they were to do Jedi Evo. Bultar Swan was definitely not a character I pictured as having had a huge impact on the evolution of the Jedi order. Qui-Gonn, sure. Luke, yeah, but why is his head so big and why no cool Jedi master robes? Surely there was someone else who predates those two though, someone perhaps from the era of Darth Bane or Darth Nihilus to serve as their counterparts.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Those VOTC figs were insanely overpriced out here...I didn't give them a second glance. After viewing some pics of them at various places on the web, I see there were some very good sculpts among them, but as is the case with so many other figures of the sort, I just know they'll show up again repackaged in some other form a little ways down the road.

The Jedi Legacy Evo set was really weird...not at all what I'd hoped for if they were to do Jedi Evo. Bultar Swan was definitely not a character I pictured as having had a huge impact on the evolution of the Jedi order. Qui-Gonn, sure. Luke, yeah, but why is his head so big and why no cool Jedi master robes? Surely there was someone else who predates those two though, someone perhaps from the era of Darth Bane or Darth Nihilus to serve as their counterparts.

Some of the VOTC figs have been re-released. I believe the only ones that have yet to be are Yoda, Ben Kenobi, Luke, Leia, Lando and Han.

I have yet to get the Jedi Legacy Evo set, but from what others are saying on here it's not getting much love, which is part of the reason I have not jumped on getting it.

majikmonkee
03-31-2008, 07:52 AM
The Jedi Legacy is the only Evo set I've actually seen in the stores lately. It's what tipped me off to the existence of the Sith Evo, though, so I'm glad I did see it. I'm glad for the Qui-Gonn in the set, but surely there were some other more "historical" influential Jedi we haven't been given figures of they could have included.

Luke, Han, Lando, Obi...glad they're all getting exposed in decent sculpts (even reused ones) for folks who missed out on them from the beginning of POTF2, or simply want updated sculpts...I'm satisfied with the last versions of these figures I bought, so I don't think I'll buy any new models, no matter how cool they are (the Commtech era OT figs were pretty much the most I was hoping for).

JediTricks
03-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Around here, all the Evo sets are findable finally, it's actually a little weird to see Sith & Fett sets. The Jedi Legacy sets still outnumber 'em all though.

majikmonkee
04-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Around here, all the Evo sets are findable finally, it's actually a little weird to see Sith & Fett sets. The Jedi Legacy sets still outnumber 'em all though.

Weird. I really like the Sith set, I'm surprised it's not more popular. But everywhere I look, there's lots of discussion about the Fetts and VSA sets, but almost no mention of the Sith set. When I was trying to research it to see if it was any good before I bought it, it was impossible to find any helpful info, and that wasn't all that long ago...

JediTricks
04-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Sith 2 is not a particularly endearing set for the mass audience, it has a revisit to a rather unpopular Maul figure (which is unusual), and Nihilus and Bane are kinda fringe third-stringers in the background of the general SW audience, they're just not that much of a draw. It's more of a niche set, Hasbro trying something new that was a little further out than their main audience was willing to go.

El Chuxter
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I want the Bane, but am unimpressed with the Maul and couldn't care less about Nihilus.

jedibear
04-02-2008, 02:54 AM
Sith 2 is not a particularly endearing set for the mass audience, it has a revisit to a rather unpopular Maul figure (which is unusual), and Nihilus and Bane are kinda fringe third-stringers in the background of the general SW audience, they're just not that much of a draw. It's more of a niche set, Hasbro trying something new that was a little further out than their main audience was willing to go.

Yes, that may be true...but I'm thankful for Hasbro's effort here. I think it's a great set...I like the "unpopular" Maul a lot, Nihilus is pretty visually striking and while Bane isn't quite how I pictured him after reading the recent books, he's still a decent figure (but the weakest of the three to me). I'd like to see Hasbro continue to throw out the occasional "niche" set or figure...keeps the collection interesting.

While the FU set seems to be pretty popular (around here anyway) for reasons that I don't quite understand, it is the Jedi set that is always on the shelf around here. I just think that Hasbro skipped a beat on this one...including a background Jedi as part of the "Evolution" and featuring a visually un-appealing version of Luke as part of this set just gives it a thrown-together look. Don't get me wrong...i really like the Qui-Gon that's in this set, but the other two are almost like filler when one considers the concept...

plasticfetish
04-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Photos of "Darth Vader" in our Database now...

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=5589

Love this figure. Looks great in the Jedi Starfighter also BTW. (Photos of that to be added later.)

majikmonkee
04-02-2008, 07:40 AM
I can understand EU figures not really reaching out to everyone (such as with the Sith set), but I, too, applaud Hasbro for giving us something we haven't yet been given. Considering how the KOTOR figures were so hard to find (understatement), it seems odd that a figure from KOTOR 2 has created so little of a stir. The figures are all well done, definitely worth my money, and two of the mare brand new...I couldn't have asked for more.

Yeah the Jedi set left a bad taste in my mouth. Qui-Gonn was the only fig who belonged there. I too was astonished they couldn't find us some more pivotal figures from Jedi history to fill out the set. The sith set didn't depict any further in the sith era than Darth Maul, while that's the era the jedi set begins with. It would have been cool to see some more overlap there. The jedi set was the first and only I've seen in the stores, and there's a good reason it's always there...

Jedi_Kal-El
04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah the Jedi set left a bad taste in my mouth. Qui-Gonn was the only fig who belonged there. I too was astonished they couldn't find us some more pivotal figures from Jedi history to fill out the set.

The Luke and Bultar figures seem like filler to me in the Jedi set. I'm still wondering where Luke's Jedi robes came from for this figure. I have, and have read read every NJO book, and don't remember these robes from any cover art featuring him.

They say Bultar has been much requested, but from what I've been reading, I have to ask "by who?".

Basically you're paying $20 for a SA Qui-Gon that isn't getting all that much love either from what I've read(not from everyone though mind you). My advice. Hold out for them eventually re-realasing the Qui-Gon carded if you're not interested in the other two.

majikmonkee
04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I've seen custom Lukes from the post-Empire era before wearing red vests before, but the comics that depict him that way weren't based on the NJO from what I understand. I don't recall the books being very descriptive of Luke's clothes, I just assumed they were similar to his black ROTJ getup (like he wears in the Jedi Outcast game). I definitely never pictured him in that, though.

As for Bultar Swan, I'm among those who never requested/wanted her. I never knew she existed till I saw a mention in a book I had about AOTC. Even then, I didn't care much about her.

I think Hasbro tried to use Qui-Gon as the "hook" for people to buy this set. They've held out for a long time on releasing him as a single figure, then here he is in the Jedi set, forcing anyone who wants him to cough up twenty bucks to get him. Luckily, I'm not one of those people. I'm happy with my TPM robed Qui-Gon and Obi-Wans...I don't need any further depictions of them. Of all the new Evo sets, the Jedi one definitely feels the most like Hasbro used it as an outlet for figures they didn't think they'd be releasing otherwise rather than a carefully planned set.

El Chuxter
04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Bultar has been a highly-requested since AOTC came out. Maybe not as high as Cliegg Lars (hint, hint), but I've seen her consistently on a lot of want lists for years.

Totally agree on NJO Luke. They should've given him two sabers instead of the red and gray robes. On the bright side, as long as the Yuuzhan Vong figure that's strongly rumored for later this year does well, we might get more NJO figures. Having made Luke and essentially confirmed a Vong, they can't convincingly use the "no visual source material" excuse anymore.

And, yeah, it's pretty obvious they used the sorely absent Qui-Gon figure to get folks into this set. Otherwise Bultar probably wouldn't have sold particularly well, and Luke would never have been made.

majikmonkee
04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I think they should make the Vong an Evo set. There are so many different castes and looks to them, maybe they could have a warrior, shaper, warmaster...I know I'd go for it. Having to army build by buying a lot of a single figure over and over is never my favorite thing, but I'd buy an Evo set of them...

Yeah, that Luke is definitely not Evo material. I wouldn't buy him even as a single figure. The other two seem to be done well enough, Swan just seems out of place. As unpopular as the Sith Legacy set is, I think there's a certain cohesiveness to the figs included in it.

Jedi_Kal-El
04-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Bultar has been a highly-requested since AOTC came out. Maybe not as high as Cliegg Lars (hint, hint), but I've seen her consistently on a lot of want lists for years.

You've been at this longer than me Chux, so you probably see more want lists than I do.

Totally agree on NJO Luke. They should've given him two sabers instead of the red and gray robes. On the bright side, as long as the Yuuzhan Vong figure that's strongly rumored for later this year does well, we might get more NJO figures. Having made Luke and essentially confirmed a Vong, they can't convincingly use the "no visual source material" excuse anymore.

I'd love to see a whole line of NJO figures. I know some people don't agree, but I loved the series, and would like to see several figures from it. I don't care for Hasbros' stance on how "There are no visual references to the novels, so figures wouldn't appeal to too many people". How many visual references were there to Kit Fisto's Jedi Starfighter and the Mandolorians from the Elite Forces Multi packs?

They do these exclusives mostly for the fans(or so they say). So why not do some NJO stuff for the fans. They'd sell better than some of the stuff they're putting out these days IMHO.

And, yeah, it's pretty obvious they used the sorely absent Qui-Gon figure to get folks into this set. Otherwise Bultar probably wouldn't have sold particularly well, and Luke would never have been made.

Yeah they did that on purpose. I do know that for as long as SA figures have been produced that fans have been asking for a new version of Qui-Gon, so Hasbro has no excuses there.

JediTricks
04-04-2008, 11:38 PM
While the Vong set might delight the NJO fans, the majority of SW collectors probably would look at it and scratch their heads, leaving it behind to linger with the Sith Legacy and Jedi Legacy sets. The Vong don't really have that "Star Wars look", so it'd be an extremely hard sell I suspect.

majikmonkee
04-07-2008, 07:53 AM
While the Vong set might delight the NJO fans, the majority of SW collectors probably would look at it and scratch their heads, leaving it behind to linger with the Sith Legacy and Jedi Legacy sets. The Vong don't really have that "Star Wars look", so it'd be an extremely hard sell I suspect.

I suspect you're right. Perhaps being marketed as an exclusive of some sort would work better. Maybe sold in something of an exclusive Evo set. I don't think I remember Evo being used for any exclusives yet, but that's not to say it couldn't happen. I'd definitely order it.

JediTricks
04-07-2008, 06:12 PM
That'd probably work better as a 7-figure boxed set a la the Battlefront II sets, Republic Commando set, Mandalorian Nobodies sets, or Death Star Briefing set, that way you get 3 new figures if you're lucky and they still recycle 4 figures to go with 'em that they can make their money back on. The 7-fig sets cost pretty much what an exclusive Evo set would cost anyway.

Sinscia Fat'o
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
I love the NJO Luke, that was the reason i bought the set. Though the Qui Gonn was a nice sell as well. Bultar Swan does feel out of place in there, but she is a very cool figure. This set does warm the shelves around here, though the Sith, Mando, and Apprentice set are hard finds at most locations around here in WV/VA.

I really hope the Vong comes out, and i would rather them single card him as this would save us money. 6 bucks or 25 bucks...i'd rather pay 21 bucks for three figures (including Tax) than almost 30, though i just want the Vong to army build...but they are useless with no NJO characters to go with them...No visuals will not be a workable excuse anymore because of the Legacy of the Force WOTC minis set as in there 75% of the characters are from the books....

El Chuxter
04-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Sweet lord, I can't tell you how cool a (properly done) seven-pack of Yuuzhan Vong would be. It could include several "named" Vong (Nom Anor, Shimmra, Onimi, Tsavong Lah, Shedao Shai, and/or the priestess whose name escapes me), and one or two different generic Vong warriors. Hopefully Hasbro wouldn't make the mistake of repainting one figure in different schemes, as the Vong appear far more "individualistic" than most other army builders would.

JediTricks
04-07-2008, 06:59 PM
We are getting some sort of Vong figure, our Q&A confirmed this, but format is not yet known. However, I'm betting it's Comic Packs. So a boxed set would probably repack him, include 2 more different Vong, and then some figures we already have like Luke, Mara, Han and Leia. Would you NJO fans be good with that? That's the realistic example, not 7 different Vong.

El Chuxter
04-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I know it was a hypothetical. It's still a cool idea.

If the Vong we're getting is in a comic pack, I'm guessing it'll be Nom Anor in his disguise from Crimson Empire, and not a "true" Yuuzhan Vong figure. Or maybe they consider Darth How-Stupid-Is-It-To-Make-A'Sharad-A-Sith-Lord a Vong since he wears their armor?

majikmonkee
04-08-2008, 07:42 AM
I suspect the 7 pack thing would be a much better format to release them in too. And yeah, that "no visuals" business is rubbish. Everywhere I turn on Wookieepedia, they've got sketches or paintings of Vong and their technology. Are they saying those aren't sanctioned by Lucas? Fine, but now we see someone else had the time and effort to do sketches/drawings, Lucas endorses the book series, so what's the trouble?

Man, I hope they don't just dump the disguised Nom Anor on us. Even with a removeable helmet, his body still wouldn't be very "Vongish". Even if they release a "normal" Vong in a comic pack, you'd have to buy the comic plus whatever other figure was included over and over if you wanted to army build. A very sucky prospect...