PDA

View Full Version : TPM -vs- AOTC: Shouldn't we be happy?

neimoidian85
02-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Compare TPM toys to AOTC toys. Look how much more complex the scuplts seem (for some) now! I mean, look at Luminara's dress, or for that matter just about any of the Jedi. Plus Palpatine.....ohhhhhhhhhh.......Dooku..........ohh hhhhhhh......

It's weird how much different these things are from Ep 1. PLUS THEY'RE CHEAPER!!!

Starfig873
02-13-2002, 10:14 PM
I'm happy. Aren't you happy? Who's not happy? Oh, THEY aren't happy. Well your not going to let them ruin your fun are you?

I personally like the figs to death now. I'm happy. What's not to be happy about? People gripe, they always will, don't mind em'.

neimoidian85
02-13-2002, 10:32 PM
THEM!

GNT
02-14-2002, 12:11 AM
Who us ;)

The Episode 1 line was jamed packed with so many resculpts and so many pegwarmers,hopefully this doesnt happen with AOTC!

Wolfwood319
02-14-2002, 02:18 AM
Overall I like the diverse selection among figures for AOTC. Plus, there's something about the feel of this movie that's different from TPM. I can't really describe it, but it just seems better.

The problem with E1 toys, IMO, was that they didn't seem right when placed next to POTF2 figures. There seems to be more variety with what we're getting with E2. More figures of characters that you wanted to have figures of. Like all the Jedi, and the different type of alien species and stuff like that.

Overall, I'm happy.:D

JediTricks
02-15-2002, 05:27 AM
The first few waves of Ep 1 product were sorely undersculpted IMO, they looked like the Hasbro designers simply didn't have enough source materials to capture accurate likenesses. Compare E1 Jedi Duel Obi-Wan to much later E1 Jedi Knight Obi-Wan, they barely look related and they're supposed to be the same guy from the same time period!

With AOTC product, the collection 1 stuff looks to me like they didn't have the same problems, but there are still a few issues FOR ME. One thing that's bothering me from what I've seen is Hasbro doesn't seem to be laying the paints down that well, one carded Obi-Wan Coruscant Chase I saw had "crazy eyes" and really messed up hair. The other issue I have with the line is the preposed, gimmicky stuff. I like neutral poses (like the aforementioned E1 Jedi Knight Obi-Wan), and if I want to do cool poses, then added articulation is important too (like in my Plo Koon vs Apprentice Maul (http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/plo-maul/)) instead of just having a figure that's got limited articulation and an action pose.

So, all in all, it looks like the first AOTC waves will have some problems, but they're not the same problems as Ep 1 and probably not as extreme. I mean, you can be happy as a clam, I don't mind, but I'm not sold on AOTC figures yet, I'm not seeing a whole line that says to me "this is what you've been waiting for, this is ALL right" mainly because I don't think all of it is right.

JEDIpartner
02-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Your gripes are the same as MY gripes.

And folks...What the heck are you talking about you HOPE there aren't GOING TO BE as many resculpts with AOTC???:confused:

The Episode 1 line was jamed packed with so many resculpts and so many pegwarmers,hopefully this doesnt happen with AOTC!

It's ALREADY happened!!! We already have 2 Zam Wesells, 3 Jango Fetts, 2 Padmes in essentially the SAME outfit. So how can you not count these as the same problems as E1, BUT SOONER into the new line?? I think the sculpts and detailing are gorgeous, but I don't want to have to buy EVERY FIGURE to get them to do what I'd LIKE them to do. I'm passing on ALL the Jedi Knights until we get some that aren't "final battle" specific.

Jargo
02-15-2002, 01:49 PM
:confused: :mad: :dead:

neimoidian85
02-15-2002, 02:48 PM
2 Padmes in the same outfit?

Beast
02-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by neimoidian85
2 Padmes in the same outfit?
According to on-line lists we will be getting Padme in the white Arena Outfit again, but it will come with the cape that she was seen wearing in some pictures as well. Plus it won't be the torn version that the collection 1 figure is dressed in.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

neimoidian85
02-15-2002, 03:29 PM
That actually is pretty retarded.

Beast
02-15-2002, 04:03 PM
That actually is pretty retarded.
Why is it retarted? The action posed ripped outfit isn't going to look right for scenes that take place before she gets attacked in the Arena. I welcome a better and hopefully less bustier neutral posed white outfit Padme. But hopefully hasbro doesn't forget to do atleast 1 gowned version of her this year. But with 3 Padme's already coming, who knows. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

neimoidian85
02-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Why is it retarded you ask?

Well, Padme has something like 20 outfits in AOTC and the same one is going to be represented TWICE within a few months of each other!

Beast
02-15-2002, 04:47 PM
Why is it retarded you ask?
Well, Padme has something like 20 outfits in AOTC and the same one is going to be represented TWICE within a few months of each other!
True, but looking at some of the other charecters they could do a new version of, I'll take white outfit Padme over another Jango Fett or Obi-Wan. I don't mind at all that they are going to give us a neutral posed non-battle torn version of Padme. I agree, I would prefer a gowned figure, but Hasbro did the same thing with the Padme in the E1 figures. Remember how much better the cloth goods Queen Amidala re-sculpt of her Battle outfit was. Besides, I doubt the new version will appear til 4th quarter, since we'll get Padme: Pilot first.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

neimoidian85
02-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Which Padme pilot? The one at the beginning where she is wearing orange or what?

INDIANA
02-15-2002, 05:08 PM
...i wish that Han Solo came with a cloth coat...

Yeah, dressed as a Naboo pilot as disguised in the films opening. Considered to be a spoiler figure due to the fact there are some morons out there who would actually think they would kill off Padme in the first 5 minutes of the new film.

Beast
02-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Which Padme pilot? The one at the beginning where she is wearing orange or what?
At the beginning of the film she is wearing a similar uniform to the one that Captain Typho is wearing. She's undercover as a Naboo Pilot. You can see her for a split second in the Mystery trailer being knocked back by an explosion along with Captain Typho. She's also wearing one of the helmets that is packed in with Typho's figure. I wish I could take a screen grab from the trailer and post it here, but I can't. Just check the mystery trailer from 0:20 - 0:22. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-16-2002, 03:21 AM
Resculpts don't bother me much unless they don't add to the original toy. Since the first AOTC version of Padme is a gimmicky junkoid, I'm probably not going to buy it, thus, if there is a resculpt that isn't a gimmick figure and has a shoulder that doesn't look so awful, I'll buy it instead. I think AOTC is going to break many completists of that habit. However, having 2 Zam Wesells seems ridiculous since, as I understand it, the character isn't in the movie for that long.

LTBasker
02-16-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I think AOTC is going to break many completists of that habit.

"No... that's not true... That's IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!" :D

Granted the figure sucks beyond compare, it comes with that nifty break-a-way pillar. :D

AreTwo-DeeTwo
02-16-2002, 11:14 AM
I totally bought into the EpI resculpt thing. I have almost every single Darth Maul. I look at them and I think "What the hell was I doing?" There is very little difference between any of them.

Live and learn I suppose. This time around it's gonna be pretty much one version of the main characters that I get. The only Anakin I want is the the Arena Battle or whatever it's called. No way am I getting that Outlander Peasant Disguise version. To me the Padme version with the cape sounds much better than the Tomb Raider version with the pillar. I will probably get the Jango Fett with removeable helmet that shows the actors face. Although I kind of like the Deluxe clip on armor version. Whatever I decide it's only going to be one of Jango.
I think I will only get the Dooku/Tyranus with the cape version.

The Phantom Menace toys have taught me to be much more selective and patient this time around. Although I will have to get the Nikto Jedi, Luminara, Royal Guard, Orn Free Tau, Palpatine and figs I think they will only make 1 version of that I like. Still won't be buying each and every figure from this film. No matter how awesome it is. I do think this movie is going to be outstanding.

JediTricks
02-18-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker

"No... that's not true... That's IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!" :D

Granted the figure sucks beyond compare, it comes with that nifty break-a-way pillar. :D I think the Arena Playset, which appears to be a lot more fun than some of the collection 1 figures, comes with a taller break-away column, so the only thing this Padme has going for it is the metal chain.