PDA

View Full Version : Never before made Vehicle/Ship discussion thread.

jedi master sal
03-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Here's the thread to comment on the current never before made vehicle/ship poll.

I'm actually a little surprised with a few of the top 30 vote getters.

In particular Dooku's Solar Sailor, as his Action Fleet ship didn't do so well. As well, the Lars landspeeder, while a good chioce was a lot higher than I expected it to be. The TIE Defender also placed higher than I thought it would.

The one that astounds me to have even made the top 30 is the Moldy Crow. I honestly don't even recall this ship. I can't see how this would get made. It's very character specific and suffers from being an EU ship.

Othewise, many of the top vote getters I expected to see, and I'm glad for the most part I think the way most of you do when it comes to most desired vehicles/ships.

-Sal

Banthaholic
03-16-2008, 12:27 AM
I think some of the lore of the Lars Speeder is attributed to the lack of OT vehicles to make that haven't been made before. I'd love a cloudcar and Rebel transport but at least we have the option of using the vintage ones as substitutes.

Jabba's Sailbarge is another never before made ship and I think it has a good chance of doing well in this. I'd like to see it as half ship half playset out. The question being what pricepoint can it get out at, and are people willing to give up scale to ahave it. Like the Sandcrawler before, I'd rather have an underscaled version than no version.

El Chuxter
03-16-2008, 12:28 AM
I love the Lars speeder (I'm even the person who suggested it for the poll, I think), but, realistically, I can't see myself getting excited over it.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-16-2008, 01:08 AM
I haven't been keeping up with the vehicle poll, but if I had voted, I might have voted for the Moldy Crow. Perhaps it did well because Dark Forces was an early iconic game that really immersed you into the Star Wars universe. It was also in the sequel, which I didn't get to play being that it was not available for the Mac. Likewise, the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games were very good as well. I would have voted for the TIE Defender. I still regret not picking up the Action Fleet version the one time I saw it at Target.

LusiferSam
03-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm surprised the Rebel Blockade Runner did as well as it did. I don't think most people have any idea what I meant when I wrote this one in. But I have a very good Kenner design in mind. It's under scaled but work great. Oh well it won't make it past round two, so I don't have to worry too much.

I'm also surprised the Rebel Transport did as well. It really represents the bottom of the barrel when it comes to vintage design. There's a reason Hasbro hasn't tried to sell one of these yet. The thing tries to be a vehicle, carrying case and playset. But can't seem to pull any of them off. On the plus side Hasbro can't screw this up worst than Kenner.

2-1B
03-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Naboo water speeder with Paddy Acu pack-in figure.

stillakid
03-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I still want the Amidala's "skiff" that gets blown up in ROTS. I don't believe that ship even made the voting list. :sur:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I still want the Amidala's "skiff" that gets blown up in ROTS. I don't believe that ship even made the voting list. :sur:
The voting list was very, very incomplete. It's too bad the thread to suggest ships was only open a short time (in the General Discussion section, no less) and no write-ins were allowed in the actual poll.

jedi master sal
03-16-2008, 06:24 PM
The voting list was very, very incomplete. It's too bad the thread to suggest ships was only open a short time (in the General Discussion section, no less) and no write-ins were allowed in the actual poll.

There were several days to post write-ins before the poll. Since we were upwards of 80 ships with many of them, IMO ever so ridiculous obscure, I needed to break it off. With the inclusion of so many ships, it ran the risk of watering down everyone's vote.

I do agree that the Naboo cruiser should have been on the poll. Had I thought of it I would have added it myself. Same for Padme's cruiser.

I didn't though and neither did anyone else, until the poll had been closed. To be fair I laid out the rules. So as to not show favoritism towards anyone, I had to stick to those rules. I'd expect the same from Hasbro, so I am trying to keep in line with that.

Keep it in mind for next year.

-Sal

Tycho
03-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Sal, I have the first poll results open in a 2nd window so I can discuss them.

A suggestion I'd make is to post your poll results AGAIN at the top of the new discussion thread - or add the next ones into this one as each of your polls close. MadSlantedPowers has been doing it this way for the figure poll and it works brilliantly to help people discuss the outcome.

Now to the outcome:

Jabba's Sailbarge is a must have. I will continue to sound like a song stuck on repeat by saying this again...you knew it was coming...."If Zizzle can make the Black Pearl for their Pirate figure line..." You get the idea. The Sailbarge could work being about the size of that ship. It must hold Jabba with room for a decent amount of his courtieors around him, and it should have some kind of pilot station (which would be an EU element of course- but the craft didn't drive itself). But I really want this ship.

The Blockade Runner: *sigh* This is my 2nd most-favorite ship in all the Star Wars saga (who doesn't love the Falcon first and foremost?). That is why I built the Tantive IV for myself as I'd want it (5 feet long, with the essential play features). The Kenner one (I've seen the pics of the prototype) sucked! It's one of the gems from the vintage past that we should leave in the past. I structured my toy around being able to set up the Stormtroopers fighting the Fleet Troopers in the initial boarding and went on from there. You can't build it to scale, and anything less than 5 feet, would be too small. I figured this out by actually making the ship prototype. As I love what I came up with, and thus don't need another one at the moment (next to other ships they could make), I did not rank the Blockade Runner too highly - but I DID vote for her.

The Cloud Car is a no-brainer. Add hidden missle launchers to make it fun for the kiddies, or pack-in a black Cloud Car pilot as a variaiton from the OTC figure and sell it as an exclusive.

The Bongo is a must-have. I'd accept an out-of-scale one with 3 separate cockpit "chambers" for each of the movie passengers if they can't make it to scale (making the cargo compartments on the real Bongo the extra seats for JarJar and Qui-Gon - Obi-Wan was the pilot).

Dooku's solar sailor would be interesting as a working toy. The Action Fleet didn't sell well because it was basically a statue / replica. A toy for the 3 3/4" line could actually feature working sail deployment. That might be sweet. However, I didn't vote for the ship as I really don't need it. But I'd buy it if they made it that cool - and I'd buy an extra Dooku figure to fly in it, too!

Corporate Alliance tank droid(aka Snail Droid), Droid gunship, Wookiee Catamaran, Clone Turbotank - these are all necessary for my Kashyyyk diorama and I want them all. I was really disappointed that the Wookiee craft didn't do better. It was a really cool design. What's wrong with you people?

Lars family landspeeder - is something I'd definitely buy - but not a priority for me.

Bail Organa's speeder - would definitely be useful! Bring it!

dr_evazan22
03-23-2008, 12:14 PM
I based my votes on a combination of what I want to see made, and what I think is a more likely choice to actually get made.

Here's what I voted for:
1. TIE Defender
2. Turbo Tank (Juggernaut)
3. Orporate Alliance Tank Droid (Snail Tank)
4. Twin Pod Cloud Car
5. Jabba's Sail Barge

Oops! Forgot the "C" in Corportate... Duh!
Went with the Defender 'cause I really like that ship design, and the relative size is small (although probably too big to fit in the $20 price range).
The snail tank droid would be great, we need it to help fill in the droid armies.

I think so many of the choices from this and the 30 ship poll could do well in the Action Fleet size, but we've heard Hasbro's response to that too many times. But, personally, I don't like the Titanium size; I think it's too small, the detail isn't good enough, and the deco usually isn't good enough either.

Maybe once eFX gets rolling, taking over from MR and Code 3, maybe they can offer either die cast or Studio Scale versions of a couple of these, like the Cloud Pod Car and the Rebel Troop Transport.

LusiferSam
03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Ok, now I'm surprised the Rebel Blockade Runner is doing as well as it is. Even if it ranks in the top five I don't see Hasbro making it.

The Blockade Runner: *sigh* This is my 2nd most-favorite ship in all the Star Wars saga (who doesn't love the Falcon first and foremost?). That is why I built the Tantive IV for myself as I'd want it (5 feet long, with the essential play features). The Kenner one (I've seen the pics of the prototype) sucked! It's one of the gems from the vintage past that we should leave in the past. I structured my toy around being able to set up the Stormtroopers fighting the Fleet Troopers in the initial boarding and went on from there. You can't build it to scale, and anything less than 5 feet, would be too small. I figured this out by actually making the ship prototype. As I love what I came up with, and thus don't need another one at the moment (next to other ships they could make), I did not rank the Blockade Runner too highly - but I DID vote for her.

Tycho what you're describing is not a vehicle, but a playset. And there is no way Hasbro is going to make something that big. As much as we want them, playsets don't seem to sell. And days of the mega playsets are long over. I think the best you could hope for as a 3 foot model (which is still big).

It's been a while since I've bought a vehicle (let a lone a Hasbro SW figure), but if they do make a Sail Barge I'll buy one. I'll be particularly driven to get one if looks good with my vintage figures.

Tycho
03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Tycho what you're describing is not a vehicle, but a playset. And there is no way Hasbro is going to make something that big. As much as we want them, playsets don't seem to sell. And days of the mega playsets are long over. I think the best you could hope for as a 3 foot model (which is still big).

Seriously, though I'm not trying to be pretentious or anything, it depends on how you define "a playset" and "a vehicle." I don't you how you define them, but I sort of look at it this way:

A vehicle appears as what it's supposed to be from the exterior as well as the interior. (Thus the Vintage Kenner Star Destroyer was NOT a vehicle).

A Playset, recreates an environment, usually of a very large setting from the story. (Thus you wouldn't have a playset made of the interior of Luke's landspeeder, though I could see the interior of Slave-One being expanded on with prisoner cages, etc.)

But for environments that were aboard vehicles, I really prefer the vehicle, thus I built my Blockade Runner the way I did. It's exterior is recognizeable as the Tantive IV, and the interior is eventually going to be reflective of the environment you saw in the movie.

It's my preference to spend money working on this, rather than buying something from Hasbro that is less than what I'd desire. (The Sailbarge is smaller and could possibly be done alright within the parameters of a retail toy's acceptable production cost - see The Black Pearl from Zizzle.)

But I took my inspiration for the Tantive IV that I built from Hasbro's Millennium Falcon: authentic exterior, removeable top for interior play features. I just made sure there would be room to set up the iconic scene. It is impossible to fit all that and the revelvant features like the escape pod into a vehicle any smaller than 5 feet. The other precedent to this was the 1980's GI Joe USS Flag Aircraft Carrier which was 6 or 7 feet long, I believe!

I also believe it was a money-loser for Hasbro and their retail partners that tried to stock such a large and expensive item.

This is why the ship works better for me as a custom-build, or it should be done as a premium mail-order item that you typically buy online like SideShow Collectibles, or is even made-to-order after non-refundable down-payments.

jedi master sal
03-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Here are the final results for all ten:
1) Jabba's Sail Barge-68 points
2) Twin Pod Cloud Car-39 points
3) Gungan Bongo-38 points
4) Corporate Alliance Tank Droid (Snail Droid)-35 points
5) TIE Defender-33 points
----------------------
6) Dooku's Solar Sailor-29 points
7) Clone Turbo Tank (Juggernaut)-24 points
8) Blockade Runner/MTT 2-way tie-22 points
10) Virago- 14 points

So there we have it. Possibly fueled by the AT-TE's being made the LARGE Sail Barge wins impressively. It took the top spot in every phase and clearly is the most wanted never before made vehicle by SSG forumites.
Next up the long asked for Cloud Car. It was a good vintage toy and would do well as a modern toy. Add a couple of pop out missles and this toy could fly off the shelves.
The Bongo is a little surprise to me that it made it this high, but it's of note that it's not just a prequel vehicle but from TPM argueably the least well received of all three of the prequel movies.
The Tank droid would be a very welcome addition and was possibly fueled by the Homing Spider droid being made.
Finally rounding out the top 5 the TIE Defender. Proving that EU ships do have some interest.

In a poll that started with 80 ships, these 5 stood out among them all.
We'll get these polls presented to Hasbro. Look for a new vehicle poll next year or the year following.

Thanks again to all of those who participated. it's folks like you who have a positive affect on collecting by wanting to get involved.

-Sal

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm surprised the EU crap did as well as it did. Those results are otherwise pretty good, though.

Tycho
03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm very happy with the poll results and would buy all the top 4, but am not in the market for the TIE Defender. Nothing against EU ships, I want many, most notably the IG-2000 and Yuuzhan Vong Coral Skippers, let alone stuff like the Skispray Blastboat (I think we forgot that one altogether).

But I am glad I am one of many rooting for Jabba's Sailbarge. It is so necessary!

I wished the Clone Turbotank did even better, but it is high up there and in the cartoon. In past Q&A's, I think Hasbro said that it was even prototyped (just for fun) by one of their model makers who's a fan of this vehicle. I think we'll see it sooner than later - possibly even before a sailbarge.

But we must have the sailbarge!

I'm also thrilled the Tank Droid made it this far. I wished the Droid Gunship did better, and my Kashyyyk scene would rock if I could shore up my Confederate forces.

jedi master sal
03-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Next time we will have the poll set up for a longer period. It will be split up differently as well. I think we need to have at least three categories. PT, OT, EU. This might help get more people to vote.

I can say that I was very surprised by the amount of EU vehicles requested for on the initial list. However I was not at all surprised by the vast majority of them dropping off each subsequent phase of the polling.

Indeed there were some PT and maybe some OT vehicles that were left off the list. Not deliberately mind you, but rather noone suggested them.

Personally I didn't want to put the blockade runner on the list, but that's just me. I couldn't let my own feelings sway the poll one way or the other. When it was noted to me about the vintage prototype, as well the AT-TE being done, well it just had to be allowed. I was surprised it made the top 10.

Honestly though, I really wouldn't want it to be made. It would be severely underscaled and disproportionate in other ways as well.

Heck I even went so far as to figure out how big just the Rebel Transport would be were it to scale with the figures. That one would be 14ft long. The blockade runner would be nearly 24ft.

So while I'm thinking about this also, for the next poll, I think we'll have it seperated into small, medium and large sized vehicles. Small being the $10-15 range, Medium $20-40 and large anything bigger than that.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-23-2008, 09:23 PM
For the Blockade Runner, I probably wouldn't mind them rereleasing the Collector Fleet one, but would prefer something a bit bigger. It wouldn't have to be freaking huge though. I don't really have the space for a Tycho-sized one.

I see only 2 EU vehicles in the top 10, but both of them were rare Action Fleet vehicles. I still kick myself for not picking up the TIE Defender the one time I saw it. The Virago didn't interest me as much, but it was from SOTE, which was pretty well received compared to a lot of the EU. I think the TIE Defender has appeal because it is based on the classic TIE Fighter, but with a cool new design. It was also in a game where you actually got to fly it.

pegger
03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Top 10 are OK - I personally think the MTT is super dull - but whatever.

Top 5 are good spread across the saga. I would buy all of them.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I think the MTT would be cool if they made battle droids that could fold up and fit in it. Big enough to hold a dozen would be good enough for me I think.

jedi master sal
03-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Okay, since we are on the topic of size of ships, how big do you (anyone) think the Sail Barge should be were it to be made?

Personally I'd like one that is 24" long X 12" high (18" high including sails) X 12" wide. With panels that open at least on one side. I don't think we'd need electronics at all, so that would cut costs down.

I'd hope for a pack-in figure or two. A couple of new aliens or an ultimate Jabba (with tongue whipping action for his death scene)...

Jargo
03-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I think, if a sail barge were made a larger portion of it would be hollow. I think the observation deck with Jabbas dias would be the only interior we'd get with a couple of opening shutters. I think the top deck with the cannon and sails would be where any detailing went. I also think it would end up with clear plactic wheels for 'floating' action. I doubt you could expect it to be any longer than 30". It would probably come with repacked skiff guards and be an exclusive.

The cost of plastics is way too high to realistically expect something like the sail barge to be highly detailed inside and out. getting the overall look correct and having the top deck be right is what I'd want. we never see any other area besides the observation deck so that too is important. putting Jabba's small repulsorlift sled/dias on clear wheels so it could be rolled onto the barge via an access hatch and ramp would be design correct. the sculpted freeze on the wall inside would be cool to see. a hatch on the top deck leading to the observation deck would also be cool. if i was designing the thing I'd shove a cockpit up front as in the incredible cross sections drawing. I'd also include a couple of small laser cannon that can be clipped onto the rails on the top deck as in the movie. I'd leave the mid section completely hollow with just a fold down hull section. that way you'd have somewhere to stash figures or a speeder bike/swoop.

Tycho
03-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I second Mr. Daddypants' design idea. That sounds about perfect to me. But I'd allow for it to be 36" instead of only 30", just in case - to make sure there's enough room.

While we're on the subject, I vote we get Daddypants a job at Hasbro.

Just mention Zizzle's Black Pearl at your job interview DP.

LusiferSam
03-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Well Tycho, for me the distinction of playset and vehicle comes down to how you play with it (which assumes to take it out of the box). I think of playsets as being stationary and vehicles as moving. Now that's not to say you it's always the case. The Falcon has many playset qualities to it, but most of us would say it's a vehicle. And the USS Flag (which is what I had in mind when I said mega playsets) has many vehicle qualities to it, but again I think most people would call it a playset.

Now we get to the heart of the problem. Size. At 7 1/2 feet long I wouldn't (and still don't) have room for a USS Flag. Nor could I have moved very easily as a kid. At around 3 feet I'm lucky I found space for the Royal Starship. A few inches longer and it wouldn't fit where I've got it. At 5 feet I don't think too many kids (these are children's toys we are talking about) would heaving this thing around. First from the size and second from the weight (although the Royal Starship is very light for it's size).

Now from the vehicle point of view I think starting with Kenner's vintage prototype is the best. You get the movie elements of the vehicle plus it's not so big that nobody will buy it. Maybe make it a bit bigger to include part of one of your environments.

From the playset point view, myself and many others here, have had some good ideas when it to these. One thought are modular playsets. I like this idea for the Death Star and other large environments, but not so much for the Blockade Runner or ISD. I prefer a transforming playset for these. Something in the 2 to 3 1/2 foot range. Folded up they look like the Blockade Runner or ISD. But unfolded they're a playset the has two or three movie environments from that ship. Hasbro knows something about transforming toys. And this would be a good use of knowledge.

jedi master sal
03-25-2008, 08:13 AM
Large vehicles like the AT-TE, Black Pearl, and USS Flag are BOTH playsets and vehicles. Why cant it be called both. They are playsets in the shape of vehicles.

The Sail Barge would clearly be another in this category.

jedi master sal
03-25-2008, 08:32 AM
The sail barge if made true to scale would be 4' 8 1/4" in length.
This is derived from it being 30M in length, comparing that to an average action figure which is 3 3/4 inches tall which equates to 2M tall. Divide 3 3/4 in in 2 and you get 1.875 inches = 1M. Multiple that by 30 (the length of the sail barge in meters) and you get 56.25 inches or 4' 8 1/4".

That's way to big for Hasbro. So I suggest something half sized. If the sail barge were done at around 28 inches in length, that's still pretty impressive for size and can fit all of the playset features we would want, ie Jabba's veiwing room, deck cannon, possibly a cockpit, other rooms we could use for storage of figures or scenes.

-Sal

Tycho
03-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Well I am glad everyone so far has wanted a cockpit even though it's EU.

The Sailbarge doesn't direct itself, though I suppose you could also make an EU case for it having a pilot-droid brain? But if the thing is for the figures, it makes a better situation if it is interacting with the figures in every practical way - like a cockpit.

The thing isn't K.I.T.T. - or imagine Jabba ordering "the turbo boost" and the frogs hitting the wall! :crazed:

jedi master sal
03-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Well I am glad everyone so far has wanted a cockpit even though it's EU.

The Sailbarge doesn't direct itself, though I suppose you could also make an EU case for it having a pilot-droid brain? But if the thing is for the figures, it makes a better situation if it is interacting with the figures in every practical way - like a cockpit.

The thing isn't K.I.T.T. - or imagine Jabba ordering "the turbo boost" and the frogs hitting the wall! :crazed:

Oh I don't "want" a cockpit. But I'm not against the idea either. If it makes it more playable thus more viable to make as a toy, them I'm for it. If it were to be too ocstly for Hasbro and had to be left out in order to be made as a toy, then I'm all for it being left out. The innards of this ship aren't as important to me as the "outtards"...lol. As long as it looks like the Sail Barge, has some opening "windows," the deck cannon and a couple of hatches for access from each level, then I'm good. The inside can be mostly hollow for me, but then I'm pretty easy on this one.

-Sal