PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Starfighter/Interceptor (eta-2) anyone take it apart?

whopper
03-18-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm on a project.

I want to convert the Eta-2 Jedi Interceptor (seen in ROTS) from a toy into a kick butt model. The toy itself is very good--but I know of several improvements I could add.

1-more cockpit details
2-interior & exterior lighting
3-add details to the ship
4-fix the inaccuracies of the toy vs the actual cgi model
5-make an accurate scale hyperspace ring for the ship to attach to.

The biggest problem I'm experiencing now is I do not have any details schematics of the hyperspace ring and----

I can't figure a way to take apart the ship without breaking the wing flaps.

While I'm perfectly prepared to break & get rid of some parts of the ship, the flaps I want to keep intact because the flaps are more or less accurate & that I want them to keep "flapping" with the press of that button which I find very cool.

anyone have any experience doing this?

JediTricks
03-18-2008, 09:45 PM
I haven't, but it could be difficult, Hasbro has a thing about using friction pins for that sort of thing, I know the smaller arms that pop it out are definitely friction pins (pins with cross-hatching at one end to hold via friction against the plastic, they can be a pain in the butt to knock out). But if you have the skills, could just buy a new one for $20 and pull out the screws, see what happens - if it doesn't work, $20 down for research, or extra parts. I just looked at mine, the wings are pin hinges, and there seems to be a facade cap at the end attached to each wing half.

whopper
03-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I might have to break that thing. I have a bit of an OCD side to myself--which is why I love highly detailed models. I think that same OCD part of me is very much not wanting to break up this very nice toy which by itself is pretty good.

Ah--the frustration.

JediTricks
03-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I hear you there, I'd buy it and then be too edgy to actually crack it open. On this one I'd probably pull the screws and see what happens, but it seems like if the pins go through the hinges as it looks like they do, it'll require cutting and de-gluing (aka more cutting) of those facade caps. I am very curious to see what this project produces.

whopper
03-19-2008, 09:46 PM
You really seem to understand this friction pin thing because its like you described.

The pins have caps on the ends which I believe is what's keeping them together. My idea right now is to pry these things apart with an exacto knife. I'm theorizing that they're being held on the ends of the pins with glue.

That'll pry off the center pin keeping the 2 flaps together, however there's another pin located on the inside part of each wing. Haven't figured out what's keeping the plastic & the pin together without one sliding away from the other yet.

If I can manage this feat without permanently screwing up the model, then I'd be able to manage to get about 90% of the upgrades I want on the toy. Then the only thing that I'd really want to do that I'm still in a pickle about is making a hyperspace ring that's accurate in scale with the toy & tinkering with the landing gear. The way those current landing gear are, they don't fold in well. When you fold them into the ship they're still jutting out a bit.

I've compared the landing gear to the few seconds they show up in the movie and as far as I can tell the toy's landing gear seem accurate, but since they don't fold in too well, I had a thought of replacing them. However since I can see them being a major pain in the butt, I don't know if its replacing the landing gear will be worth the effort.

JediTricks
03-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I was about to try to explain pins some more for anybody else reading this when I realized I actually have a little tutorial on this I made up a while back, it's not very good but it does show what they look like:
http://geocities.com/jeditricks/ransack/

Specifically the second picture (I can't direct-link to it) geocities.com/jeditricks/ransack/rear_original.jpg
Notice the silver pin at that hinge, how it has cross-hatching at the end? That's the friction part, it grabs onto the plastic inside the end of the hinge. To get them out, you take a thin tool and tap from the OPPOSITE side. Most of the time, friction pins are fairly easy, on Ransack there they were hard as a mofo for no real reason, but I've had others where it's cake.

The center pin I am very curious about, it's weird that they put caps that look like the old rivet designs they would have used 12 or 15 years ago.

OH! I forgot, be careful about spring assembly, just take note of where each spring was and in what position it's in naturally when it comes apart, that's where a lot of my disassembly troubles end up, I don't take careful note of springs so it requires extra work discovering what proper orientation they go in. I got lucky with this on my recent Optimus Prime figure, a friction pin wasn't assembled all the way and dropped out, taking a teeny spring with it, but the opposite side was a mirror design so it was relatively easy to get back together.

The hyperspace ring design is destined to be a lot of work, Hasbro's version is way out of scale so nothing to salvage there. My guess is you'll have to find or make a hoop the size you need and build everything off that from kitbashed parts or sculpey.

I totally know what you mean about the landing gear. If you are adventurous, you could try to incorporate a hinge at the foot where the facade one currently exists, that'd fold the foot flat against the bottom, but I suspect you'd also need to create a ratchet at the "hip" joint to make it all actually stand, and the plastic may not take to all that modding, it's fairly soft.

whopper
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the help.

I've come to the decision that I'll have to get those pins removed. I'll see what tools I have to play around with this.

This project could take me several weeks but when I'm through with it, I'll let you know my progress & with some pics.

whopper
03-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Jeditricks,
OK good news, got the friction pins exposed on the hinges that are keeping the 2 wing flaps together. I used a flat head exacto knife to pop the glued caps off. Took longer than I though because I was going slowly to prevent any permanent damage.

Problem now is that I got the friction pins & got a nail & hammer to tap it out. Still haven't succeeded there yet. I went to your website again & you mentioned you used a vice.

Don't got a vice on me (and I call myself a modeler). What tools did you use other than a vice? I'm thinking of substituting some weights & covering the toy with a cloth to protect it.

Once I get those friction pins out (there's 1 more on each side of the wing aside from what I mentioned), I can go at a much faster speed on the progress of this project.

JediTricks
03-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Thin screwdriver, little hammer, and anything to hold it in place (mine was a crappy little plastic vice). It was just that. The key is to wedge it so you can hammer the pins out, and really the only issue is that you need 3 hands to do this, if you can hold the vehicle, nail, and hammer all at once, you're golden. If you have a sucker of a friend, they can hold it, that'd work pretty well. But any sort of creativity here should work, wedging it into the couch or anything you can think of.