PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Movies Explained

Qui-Long Gone
03-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Here's a scenario many of you, like me, have experienced at the movies. You see a flick, it's so-so but there's something genuinely confusing or obscure about the ending that makes you care about the movie probably more than you should. You don't mind seeing a movie that makes you think, or one that challenges your own preconceived ideas about story narrative, but it seems like everyone around you, especially the critics, "get it" and you don't.

The movie strikes you as pretentious crap and you sense that the director is somehow metaphysically standing behind you giving you the bird and wispering, suck it schmuck!

You think about it the movie, see it again or maybe wait for the DVD so you can listen to the commentaries: maybe they'll make sense of it for you.....most times they don't.

Sound familiar?

What are the films that make you feel stupider for not getting what it seems like everyone else is getting? Or are you one of the geniuses who "gets it?"

**MINE: 12 Monkeys. I get that Willis sees himself die as a little boy, but what the heck were all the scientists doing on the plane with the virus at the end?

Droid
03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
My wife and I are both fairly educated people, but neither one of us could follow The Departed. Once it comes out Jack Nicholson is working with the FBI I was lost for the rest of the movie.

Rocketboy
03-19-2008, 09:38 AM
How so? I didn't find anything hard to follow in the Departed. I thought it was pretty straight forward.

El Chuxter
03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
It's been a long time, but I think the scientists were unrelated terrorists, and the Army of the 12 Monkeys was just a couple of crackpots who let zoo animals loose, but got credited with destroying the world.

Droid
03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
How so? I didn't find anything hard to follow in the Departed. I thought it was pretty straight forward.

If Nicholson was working for the FBI why was everyone going after him? And they kept having those odd scenes where Nicholson would have body parts and stuff lying around, almost like he was a serial killer. Was the FBI down with all of that? If Nicholson is working with the feds the movie becomes kind of confusing.

Vi Cit Tecum
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
The scientists were the ones that sent bruce back to get the sample. he failed to get the sample but figured out when they could get a pure sample. so they went back to get the sample.

Qui-Long Gone
03-20-2008, 08:14 AM
The scientists were the ones that sent bruce back to get the sample. he failed to get the sample but figured out when they could get a pure sample. so they went back to get the sample.

How did they know he found the pure sample? I know he he knew....but how did they?

Kidhuman
03-20-2008, 11:56 AM
The scientists can send peopleback, just like they sent the guy to tell Bruce Willis whatever it was. They could have had other people at the airport and they went back and said it was this guy on the plane. They were there to stop him from ending the world.

JON9000
04-14-2008, 05:41 PM
The later films of David Lynch. Ugh. It takes a few times to even begin to grasp them.