PDA

View Full Version : DVR help

dr_evazan22
03-19-2008, 11:22 PM
I've been wanting to purchase a DVR for a couple of months, but I haven't really gotten any answers to questions I have. I'm hoping that some of you guys might be able to help out.

I basically want something like a VCR, something I can program to record, like, say, Lost at 9p, and it'll record on its own. I'm not really looking for it to be able to search thru TV listings to record every time any version of Law and Order is on (new or multiple repeats).

Do I need to get some kind of a subscription for it to work? Like to TiVo, or thru Comcast or DirecTV.

And is there one that you can recommend for "upgrading", by adding an additional, maybe larger HD?

2-1B
03-19-2008, 11:29 PM
I use Time Warner Cable and pay extra for a DVR "box" instead of the standard receiver...it gives me the option to DVR shows in a repeating fashion, so I can click on the "record all occurances" or whatever it says.

It's nothing fancy with TW.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I've been wanting to purchase a DVR for a couple of months, but I haven't really gotten any answers to questions I have. I'm hoping that some of you guys might be able to help out.

I basically want something like a VCR, something I can program to record, like, say, Lost at 9p, and it'll record on its own. I'm not really looking for it to be able to search thru TV listings to record every time any version of Law and Order is on (new or multiple repeats).

Do I need to get some kind of a subscription for it to work? Like to TiVo, or thru Comcast or DirecTV.

And is there one that you can recommend for "upgrading", by adding an additional, maybe larger HD?

I used to go through Time Warner as well, but now i'm under Buckeye Cable. You basically have to pay (or at least I did) a one time installation charge and then I believe for the DVR box it's an extra 5-6 bucks a month.

What you can with something like LOST is you can create a SERIES RECORDING that will automatically record each episode. You can have it set so it only records new episodes or you can have it record both repeats and new episodes; it's up to you, really.

With a show that is on multiple channels, like Law and Order (I believe reruns on TNT? something like that?) you can actually set the specific channels you want them to record from.

As for HD, the prices might be different, but I know that HD DVR's usually hold less. For example, my box is SD, so I can hold something like 60 hours of stuff. My bro, in Chicago, has an HD box and he can only get something like 20-30. This might have changed recently though.

All in all, it's REALLY worth it. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
03-20-2008, 12:57 AM
I am proud to be the only person left in the USA who isn't spending money on this thing. 99% of what I watch is on cable channels that replay everything ten times within a week, so it's pointless to pay for it. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I am proud to be the only person left in the USA who isn't spending money on this thing. 99% of what I watch is on cable channels that replay everything ten times within a week, so it's pointless to pay for it. :thumbsup:
I'm in the 1% as well. I watch very few shows regularly anyway, and if I miss it (like you said) I know it'll be on at least three more times before the next episode airs (see: Rock of Love II [my current guilty vice]). Outside of the few trashy reality shows I watch regularly I pretty much only watch whatever happens to be on, be it something on the History Channel or "Good Eats". I watch a lot of sports, but I see no point in TiVo-ing that when I can go get a score on the internet (which I already pay for).

dr_evazan22
03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
So, it sounds like everyone that has one is saying that some kind of subscription is needed to really use this. And that's what I'm trying to get around. I only have limited Basic cable from Comcast (ABC,NBC, CBS and Fox, basically) and don't want to spend any more then the $11 I now spend.

And is there one that you can recommend for "upgrading", by adding an additional, maybe larger HD? By HD I meant another hard drive (although I would like it to record in HiDef;) ).

Rocketboy
03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I also don't have and don't really want a DVR.
I typically see everything I want to see and those I miss usually end up on DVDs I'll buy anyway (or streaming online by the next day).

Exhaust Port
03-20-2008, 12:08 PM
We got a DVR last year and I love it. Sure cable replays every show over and over again but that was my biggest complaint after awhile. There might be a new episode out but you'd be hard pressed to find it among the thousands of repeats. I set up the DVR to record only new shows, no repeats. Now rather than surf through a hundred channels to see if any shows I like are on AND if they are new shows I just look at my list of recorded shows to see if any shows have been recorded in the last few days. It has kept my TV watching down as I usually only turn on the TV to watch shows I've recorded. I wouldn't be so quick to knock it if you haven't lived with it for a while.

As for the original question I would check with your cable provider and see what they offer. Time Warner offers 2 DVR's, a standard and High Def box. I have the standard box and it was about same the rental charge for the non-DVR cable box.

Kidhuman
03-20-2008, 12:53 PM
OK, I work for Dish Network. Our HD DVR 722 model is the best on the market. It has up to 350 ours of recording space for SD TV and up to 55 ours of space for HD Recording, or any combination of the two. It is free if you sign up as a new customer with a 2 year commitment. You will pay 5.98 a month for a DVR service fee, all companies have them and that is the cheapest you will find.

It is also a dual tuner rcvr, meaning it works one HDTV and 1 regular TV. Both can be independent of each other, or show the same program. You can record at one TV and watch something different on the other. It also has Picture in picture functionality with out the TV having it, so 2 games at once.

You can also hook an external hard drive up to it with a 2.0 USB cable and move your programs to that to clear up space.

El Chuxter
03-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Please do not use these forums as a sales tool. Thank you. :thumbsup:

:p

2-1B
03-20-2008, 11:04 PM
even if the guy using it as a sales tool is a tool himself ? :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-21-2008, 12:14 AM
I know there's a Linux program that will just record based on time if you want, and I've seen some DVRs that record via time if you want but they don't make it easy. I would definitely want that option, it's one of the reasons I still use VCRs, shows are always running late - nothing like missing the end of something because it's 2 extra f'ing minutes.

My laptop has DVR built into the OS (Vista premium) but I've yet to give a crap.

By the way guys, when he said "HD" in the opening post, he means "hard drive", not "high-definition TV". I know there's a way to mod a TiVo with a new harddrive of nearly infinite size, but it voids the warranty.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-21-2008, 01:08 AM
The question I have about them is when you set them up to automatically record shows, is it recording by time? Some shows like Lost run a couple minutes over sometimes, so do they cut things off from time to time?

I think the original question was whether you could get one that doesn't require any sort of subscription, so that you can program it to record what and when just like a VCR. That doesn't seem to have been answered. However, if you have a cable or satellite provider that offers the DVR, then it isn't a bad deal because you don't have to buy the DVR. You're just paying $5-$10 a month for the service.

Devil King
03-21-2008, 01:49 AM
I use Time Warner Cable and pay extra for a DVR "box" instead of the standard receiver...it gives me the option to DVR shows in a repeating fashion, so I can click on the "record all occurances" or whatever it says.

It's nothing fancy with TW.

Neither is it very reliable. My hat is off to your experience, but over the course of the last 2 and a half yars, I've had nothing but trouble from my Time Warner service. I can't even begin to explain how many of the "this conversation might be recorded for customer service purposes" recordings they have of me cussing and ranting. OnDemand never worked, the on-screen caller ID worked when it wanted, the wireless internet actually laughed at me! Not to mention the universal remote decided it didn't like any of the televisions in the house and had to be replaced 4 times! Not only did it not like the cable boxes, but it hated my DVD players, VCRs and televisions!

One day I got home and the community landscapers had cut the line coming into the house while they were removing some ground cover in the back of the house. Well, 3-in-1 in a lovely convenience when you're writing the check or approving the on-line payments, until the television, phone and internet all go out at the same time. On top of that, my boyfriend had my cell phone in his car. I had to go to the neighbours house to make a service call, and that ended up in an hour-long diatribe on the evils of dogs crapping in her yard! And who has the time to spend 3 to 6 hours waiting on a sweaty immigrant to show up and install a cable box he got out of a tupperwear container in the back of his s-10 chevy pick-up?....which barely works when he plugs in the wires? Granted, it wasn't Time Warners fault the cable had been cut, but it was another in a long line of constant complaints, phone calls and mealy-mouthed placations and false promises. To counter the problems, they even replaced the underground wires that ran to the lipstick-shaped cable transciever. Which did exactly NOTHING to improve my service

Then, I got the much more expensive DVR boxes and all these issues went away....magically, myhologically spiritually! On-Demand works every time I switch to those channels, the remotes work like they're powered by golden batteries and the caller ID works without fail, etc, etc, etc. As soon as i upgraded all the problems went away. Every cable box I had was a second-hand, pick of the moment, here when needed, refitted knock off. But the DVRs were unused and fresh out of a plastic bags. The remotes still had their instruction booklets! Time Warner cable was screwing me for almost 3 years, until my "significant other" wanted to upgrade. Sad part? Not that I was getting screwed, that I agreed to the upgrade and use none of the features it offers.

time Warner Cable, along with every other provider, is only concerned about those people who are willing to dro pthe cash on their latest tidbit of technology, and to hell and be damned anyone who doesn't pay each and every cent they want you to.