PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Weapon Question

DarthBobul
03-20-2008, 01:46 AM
I have been collecting recently a large number of vintage loose figures. I came across a bunch of stormtroopers in good condition but not complete. While searching my local comic shop (he sells vintage toys too) and on ebay, i have come across a number of people selling "vintage" weapons. not cheap 6 bucks a blaster in some cases. However, I have come to find that some of these "vintage" blasters are black and others are blue. Which is the color of the real vintage blaster? Red carded and on figures seem to use the black blaster format, so Im thinking blue is the real color of a vintage figure. I would like to keep these stormtroopers authentically complete. Can anyone give me some insight on this dillemma??

bigbarada
03-20-2008, 03:57 AM
I have been collecting recently a large number of vintage loose figures. I came across a bunch of stormtroopers in good condition but not complete. While searching my local comic shop (he sells vintage toys too) and on ebay, i have come across a number of people selling "vintage" weapons. not cheap 6 bucks a blaster in some cases. However, I have come to find that some of these "vintage" blasters are black and others are blue. Which is the color of the real vintage blaster? Red carded and on figures seem to use the black blaster format, so Im thinking blue is the real color of a vintage figure. I would like to keep these stormtroopers authentically complete. Can anyone give me some insight on this dillemma??

I believe the vintage Stormtrooper blasters were always black, never blue.

Kidhuman
03-20-2008, 06:40 AM
That they were BB, stormie guns always black.

JON9000
03-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Here's the story:

VINTAGE blasters came in both BLUE and BLACK, so either color may be authentic. BLACK Blasters came out with primarily with figures created for Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, and Power of the Force, while BLUE blasters came out for figures created for The Empire Strikes Back

Like KH and BigB both state, Stormtroopers came with black blasters, as they were released initially on "Star Wars" cards.

A lot more info can be found by searching this forum with the word "repro"
or going to the armoryofthejawas website.

Or you could look here:

http://www.rebelscum.com/VINtaccessories.asp

LusiferSam
03-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Generally speaking black is the "correct" color for Stormtrooper blasters. Most carded examples I've seen are black. Most, but not all. Same thing goes for the other SW figure that came with the trooper blaster: DS Commander, Hammerhead, Walrus Man and Boba Fett. Substitutions were sometimes made and aren't that rare. The blue trooper blaster which came with ESB figures, IG-88 and the Imp Commander and in the Survival Kit, would show up instead of the black blaster, or vice versa.

So again what most people view as "correct" and prefer is that Stormtroopers have black guns. Stormtroopers with blue guns are authentic, but less common and less desirable.

DarthBobul
03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the help, I had tried rebelscum, but they listed black/blue on there which was a vague answer for me. I hate the way I have these guys all lined up in the case, some with weapons some with out. Then the ones with weapons are all mismatched.

vader121
03-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Darth Bobul,
If you're looking for authentic vintage weapons you're gonna have to dish out at least $4 each I have found. If you have a lot of Stormtroopers to arm I would highly suggest repro weapons. Appearance-wise they look exactly the same. They are cheaper and can break with a little pressure but if you're doing it for display reasons consider repros.

I have a huge amount of Stormtroopers and other army builders that I was trying to arm with authentic vintage weapons for several years. Would get a few weapons here and there at Toy Shows and ebay but I grew tired of getting a few at a time and when you have over 100 Stormies it get's way too costly. I finally bought a bunch of repro black blasters from a guy on ebay and only paid around $1 each and now my army is "fully armed and operational."

JON9000
03-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the help, I had tried rebelscum, but they listed black/blue on there which was a vague answer for me. I hate the way I have these guys all lined up in the case, some with weapons some with out. Then the ones with weapons are all mismatched.

Here's a secret: the only reason they list "black/blue" for the stormtrooper is because there is one figure out there, namely "Luke Skywalker Imperial Stormtrooper Outfit" that has blaster that is black as night. The odds of getting this blaster are extremely low, because there just are not many floating around. So, if you see a blaster listed as "black" it usually means "blue/black" and is the one you want.

Here is the other website I was talking about:

http://www.loresdelsith.net/rincon/armeria/c_trooper_i.htm

It doesn't even discuss the slight color difference between Luke Stormtrooper and all of the others, because honestly most collectors don't care. I have a loose Luke Stormie, and it has the normal blue/black, not his native black blaster. Oh, well.